• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Rizen

Smash Legend
I uploaded 3 new videos and edited my last post on the video thread to include them. I didn't want to double post.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Hey guys, I like how you can beat n00bs by spamming B-air.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Hey, it's the first post in like 6 days.

And yes, but beating noobs isn't much of an accomplishment.

Cold Fusion

Hey, it's the first post in like 6 days.

And yes, but beating noobs isn't much of an accomplishment.
It's true, beating n00bs doesn't mean anything, but it is fun running into one who thinks he is good and beating him with B-air spam.

Cold Fusion

Or D-Throw -> D-Smash because they don't know how to tech. ;)
D-throw bucket is even better against Lucas. Especially the ones who spam PK Freeze. But I really shouldn't fight n00bs too often.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Have you guys read the new article about Nintendo's E3 and such?
Project Cafe, the new Nintendo console, said they are expecting Smash 4 to be at E3! (Not too surprising, though).

Would anyone still main GnW? I wonder if he'll be sucky like in Melee? .__. Oh man! I wonder how the game will turn out..

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Project Cafe, the new Nintendo console, said they are expecting Smash 4 to be at E3! (Not too surprising, though).

Would anyone still main GnW? I wonder if he'll be sucky like in Melee? .__. Oh man! I wonder how the game will turn out..
Could you post the link?

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I never really chose a character just becuase of who they are. It's just whoever I enjoyed playing the most, who I thought I could succeed with. I might start with him, just becuase I use him now, but we'll see.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Omfg, pikmin 3 as well?

If what they say about their improved online is true, I can see smash 4 being incredibly successful and have a way larger competitive scene than both brawl and melee. I really hope this is more than a rumor, because a popular smash title while I am still young enough to spend my time playing competitive video games would make me so happy, especially now that I am old enough to travel by myself and such.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
^I definitely agree! And Project Cafe's Console is focusing on getting competitive gamers, etc. So I definitely think Smash 4 will be the opposite of Brawl (where the goal was to get rid of competitive gameplay) and will be one of the best Smash fighters!

Splice

Smash Hero
I cant wait to see the E3 presentation and learn the actual release date for this console :)
decent online would be sooooo gooood

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
^I definitely agree! And Project Cafe's Console is focusing on getting competitive gamers, etc. So I definitely think Smash 4 will be the opposite of Brawl (where the goal was to get rid of competitive gameplay) and will be one of the best Smash fighters!
Yeah haha. But I remember seeing or hearing from somewhere that Sakurai wasn't planning SSB4, and that Brawl wasn't supposed to come out. Even though I don't see why Nintendo would discontinue it because it makes so much money..

Well anyway, I hope SSB4 comes out and it ends up being a great game! If it does come out then I'm sold for Project Cafe.

Splice

Smash Hero
SSB shouldnt get discontinued. I highly doubt that, its too popular. Its one of the most likely titles to continue. imo.

I dont think itll be out for some time though.

Rizen

Smash Legend

:love:
And Project Cafe's Console is focusing on getting competitive gamers, etc. So I definitely think Smash 4 will be the opposite of Brawl (where the goal was to get rid of competitive gameplay) and will be one of the best Smash fighters!
Link had better not suck like in Brawl. ...And Melee. ...And SSBs.

Still, I'm psyched!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I expect nothing in particular out of SSB4. Except that the devs obviously hate Link and clearly want him to be bad somehow.

I'll just be doing the same thing as usual. Becoming the most knowledgeable Mario user, and discovering things that will further enhance the metagame. G&W and Ganon are also my priority characters that I observe.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
:love:

Link had better not suck like in Brawl. ...And Melee. ...And SSBs.

Still, I'm psyched!
Haha yeah. But to be fair, I don't think he was COMPLETE garbage in Melee.. :p

I'm gonna do what I always do for SSB4, try to transfer my skills from previous characters and then play whoever the tier list tells me to.

In Melee I mained Samus and GaW was second. (this was before I knew what tiers or match ups were). In Brawl I mained Samus, but she was pretty crap and my friend told me to main GaW (who I seconded and was top tier at the time). But right now I main everyone in Brawl. In spite of all of this though, I still feel dedicated to GaW.. :laugh:

Just a little something I felt like sharing.. :p

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I really like Jigglypuff. If Jigglypuff is decent in SSB4, then that will be my main. If Pichu makes it back into SSB4, she'll make it past Jigglypuff and definetly be my main. Same with Plusle/Minun if they are in it.

IDK what 5th gen pokemon they would add into it, but I'd probably use them.

I probably won't be using GW in SSB4.

:172:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Haha yeah. But to be fair, I don't think he was COMPLETE garbage in Melee.. :p

I'm gonna do what I always do for SSB4, try to transfer my skills from previous characters and then play whoever the tier list tells me to.

In Melee I mained Samus and GaW was second. (this was before I knew what tiers or match ups were). In Brawl I mained Samus, but she was pretty crap and my friend told me to main GaW (who I seconded and was top tier at the time). But right now I main everyone in Brawl. In spite of all of this though, I still feel dedicated to GaW.. :laugh:

Just a little something I felt like sharing.. :p
Link imo is complete garbage in Melee. He's actually worst off matchupwise in that game compared to the others given that the title has pretty bad character balance. He's best off in 64. In Brawl, just there aren't as many characters who are statistically worse than him which comparatively speaking makes him lower tiered.

But in Melee? Too easily comboed. Too slow. Too many matchups that he clearly just can't win especially because he doesn't have the mobility or pressure tools to stay in on his opponent.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Link is not garbage in melee. He's garbage vs fox, falco and sheik but pretty good vs everyone else. Not too bad vs jiggs and peach (not as good as y.link), and really good vs marth (better than y.link). Falcon combos him to ****, but it's not too bad of a match-up. Link in melee > 64 link and brawl link.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Define pretty good. Last time I checked, the only mid tierish matchup he ACTUALLY was good in was Samus, since by sheer luck he outcamps her. Ganon, Doc, and Mario however for instance clearly **** on Link when played correctly, given all three characters chaingrab Link, have better aerials, and move faster than him. G&W and Young Link also beat Link slightly.

Everyone Link does beat besides Samus is just outright terrible.

Vs Jiggs and Peach he doesn't autolose, but he still loses pretty solidly. 6/4 matchups in their favor most likely.

Vs Marth I'm not sure what you mean by really good, since it's definitely worse for him than Peach and Jiggs. Same deal with Falcon. He shouldn't really be winning against them if they know his tricks.

In terms of matchups, Melee Link is the worst incarnation of Link in the entire series. He has the highest number of matchups that he clearly just can't really win. 64 Link is *** but it's 64, and everyone 0 deaths everyone, so he's viable. Brawl Link mainly just gets **** on by Falco and DDD but doesn't lose to anyone else nearly as badly as Melee Link loses to Fox, Falco, and Sheik.

The key difference between Melee Link and Brawl/64 Link that makes the other two more viable? Melee Link has no pressure game. He can't really chase you down if you never commit to approaching him. 64 has Z canceling. Brawl Link has Z-air and UNLIKE the other incarnations of Link actually survives forever. Melee Link really is just slow and easy to combo, thus he has the worst matchup spread of the bunch. He's not bottom tier though because there are quite a few characters who happen to fail more than him though, whereas in 64 and Brawl which by comparison are more balanced, there just are fewer characters that are worse than him even if matchupwise the games are far less harsh on him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
When I see Melee Link, I see a character that you can run away from all day who also dies quickly in singles due to how easily he is comboed. Tierwise he appears better than the other incarnations of Link, but matchupwise it's significantly worse for him since there's just clearly a lot of characters who he doesn't have any hope of pinning down if they wait. Link is only better than characters that are quite frankly garbage beyond belief, which Melee has plenty of.

64 Link at least gets to benefit from fundamentally gay physics that wreck the **** out of everyone. Brawl Link has Z-air and hugely benefits from momentum canceling physics. I honestly fail to see how they're worse off in terms of matchups than Melee Link.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I expect nothing in particular out of SSB4. Except that the devs obviously hate Link and clearly want him to be bad somehow.

I'll just be doing the same thing as usual. Becoming the most knowledgeable Mario user, and discovering things that will further enhance the metagame. G&W and Ganon are also my priority characters that I observe.
Haha, you bet they hate him, he get's nerfed more and more every new game. In the next game he'll be under ganon's tier. :D

I just hope we won't have some freaking new commers who are extremely overpowered compared to the rest of the cast (I'm not looking at you at all MK).

Rizen

Smash Legend
(Quote's not working?)
"In terms of matchups, Melee Link is the worst incarnation of Link in the entire series. He has the highest number of matchups that he clearly just can't really win. 64 Link is *** but it's 64, and everyone 0 deaths everyone, so he's viable. Brawl Link mainly just gets **** on by Falco and DDD but doesn't lose to anyone else nearly as badly as Melee Link loses to Fox, Falco, and Sheik."
Link's bad brawl MUs:
:falco::metaknight::dedede:Massacre MUs. 30/70 or worse.
:fox::olimar::dk2::kirby2::pikachu2::sheik:Murder MUs. 30/70 or 35/65
:wario::popo::diddy: Can be h*** sometimes.
:ike: Super hard on wifi.
I didn't play Melee or SSBs competively and can't really compare Link in them and Brawl. Brawl's shield/PS system really hurts him unlike melee because he looses any decent OoS and has a terrible grab, bad lag and bad mobility.
Any way you look at the series, Link gets the raw deal:urg:.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah link is pretty unviable in brawl A2. You are severely underestimating how so many characters **** his ****.

Also in melee, Link does not lose to marth harder than jiggs and peach >_>. It's probably a better match-up if anything.

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna miss GnW if I have to switch in the next game. I feel more attached to him in brawl than any smash character previously (granted I did main link from 1997-2009, nothing to miss there, especially in brawl).

If the next game has usable online play and they actually patch it like other competitive games, it could be incredible, even if technically its no better than brawl.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Lol your mentioning Link made me laugh because of the previous posts arguing about him :laugh:

Yeah I kinda agree with you there, but if I really like a character I always have some way of taking them with me if they are in the game. Like they removed Pichu and for a while I was going through a Pichu phase, killing people by N-Airing them across and off the stage so I was kinda doing that with Pikachu in Brawl lol (yes dumb I know). But it doesn't end there! In Brawl I play everyone and when I use Falco my style is trying to incorporate Melee style play into Brawl. Come on lets get serious, d-throw x4/5, d-air, laser, laser, laser, side-b, d-air, laser, laser, laser, side-b, laser, laser, u-smash isn't any fun. So I sometimes approach, and try hitting them up and down (d-smash, d-tilt, u-tilt, u-smash, d-throw-, u-throw, d-air, u-air mix ups) and throwing in a couple lasers. Which while isn't the most effective, still gives me a kick out of playing Falco.

And since GaW doesn't always have a specific style of play (per say), I'm sure you'll still enjoy playing him in SSB4. :)

Top Bottom