• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Naw, just a DS. And I've recently finished Pokemon Black.
Lol me too! Well I finished Black a couple of months ago but it was the most recent DS game I played.

No point in getting a 3DS until some real game come out for it, and even then it's pretty expensive.
I'll stick with my DSi for now.
Agreed. I was actually planning to buy a 3DS because I thought the new Pokemon was going to be one of the launch titles but I found out B/W was on normal DS, so I was like YUS!

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Lol nice. How do you like it?

And if anybody is still interested, the Toon Link MU Export will be finished in a week or two from now.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I'm working on making a good Pokemon team. Right now it's Chandelure, Eelektross, and Ferrothorn.

I bought one, lol.

SSB series is international, aye! There are a lot of player from Switzerland, just not much in SWF. :3
Yeah it's good to see some Swiss action. Back when I lived there, not much was going on and I had to travel to France.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I might do some online battling.
Ah, nice. I used to battle a long, long time ago. I used Marriland and Smogon forums. Oh wait, we have Pokemon forums here too right? :D

I wouldn't play wifi to refresh lol:V

and let's finish the neuttrraaals :smash:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275076&page=2
WOW, can't remember the last time I saw that... @.@

What's with the sudden change of..heart? -new found will and energy to keep the stage threads/thing going?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
These boards are slow as ever. )'=

Sadly, I think I may drop GnW. Or maybe use him as a secondary/dual main. I definitely still use him in dubs, though. Wario has become one of my favorites to team with. <3

Other than that, I've been working a lot more on MK. x'= Gah! So hard because I still love GnW!
Also, a friend tagged me in this photo on FB:

kick buttttt

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Why drop a character? I play MK, pika, ICs, falco and GaW, and I feel confident using all of them in tournament vs certain characters. Going back to GaW for match-ups that your MK can't seem to do as well against is always a viable option, and you should always consider it.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Gaaah. Yeah, I know. MK fits my playstyle a lot better than GnW ever does.

But I feel like I should re-learn every MU with MK since he can probably do it better than GnW.
It's just I know certain MUs with GnW so well (MK, D3, GnW himself, etc etc) I just don't feel like learning with MK, but again.. obviously MK can probably do it better so will GnW get to that point where it won't matter anymore?
I'll definitely keep it an option, though. ('= Thanks.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Trust me, MK will never replace what GaW can do. They are completely different characters, and require different styles of play. Some players specifically might fall easier to GaW than MK just because they play differently.

I've tried to pick up many characters as a "main" but they just end up as another character I can lean back on in certain match-ups. I have my pika for spacies + sheik, ICs so I can get my RC cp, or my FD cp, and my GaW, MK and falco are alternate lead out characters. However, now I usually lead out with GaW, because I always feel more comfortable with him.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
How many characters do you play? Generally, having tons of mains makes it difficult to do well in tourney. I guess I should rephrase: How many characters do you play in tournament?

I have MK, GnW, Oli, Lucario, and Ness. However, I only use MK, GnW and once every so often Olimar in tourney.
I can't imagine using so many characters in tourney, unless you are just that amazing!

Also, tbh I think MK GnW are kind of similar in a sense. I feel like a GnW would have an amazing time transitioning to MK. It's like GnW with wings and easier approaches. Granted, both of them are still two completely different characters. I guess in a sense, MK is GnW in a less-linear sense (figuratively speaking).

<3 Joey. How many name changes do you get? O__O!

Alphicans

Smash Hero
How many characters do you play? Generally, having tons of mains makes it difficult to do well in tourney. I guess I should rephrase: How many characters do you play in tournament?

I have MK, GnW, Oli, Lucario, and Ness. However, I only use MK, GnW and once every so often Olimar in tourney.
I can't imagine using so many characters in tourney, unless you are just that amazing!

Also, tbh I think MK GnW are kind of similar in a sense. I feel like a GnW would have an amazing time transitioning to MK. It's like GnW with wings and easier approaches. Granted, both of them are still two completely different characters. I guess in a sense, MK is GnW in a less-linear sense (figuratively speaking).

<3 Joey. How many name changes do you get? O__O!
In tournament I play mostly MK, falco and GaW. I use pika for fox and falco, and will use ICs if I feel my opponent will have patience problems. I have also used DDD in tournament a few times.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So my friend invited me to play a game called Mafia with a bunch of people from a different website. We played for hours and this guy called black berry was so cool and he kept on calling me blue berry so it just stuck XD!

Chozo have you been playing at all lately? o_O;

:172:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I play G&W and Mario in tournament. Trying to use Falco in tournament as well. I also want to beat somebody with my Ganon or Link someday.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I've practiced alot of characters but never had the confidence to use them in tourney. lol

ლ(´﹏`ლ)

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I've used Falco in tourney before, but I lost. I used Snake in doubles one time against a Wario/G&W team because I was feeling too lazy to work the air with G&W, and we won the set.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's not that people don't give me credit, it's just that no one knows the people I vs exist. So many times I'll give an opinion about a match-up and it'll end with "that's because you play no good ____." How am I supposed to argue that? I think my region has fantastic players, and has one of the best snakes, marths and MKs. We have pretty good pika/olimar, very good PT, decent diddy, very good sonic, very good peach etc. but Alberta just won't be getting any recognition.

Honestly I don't blame anyone for thinking I am garbage, but I think my AiB ladder preformances should indicate I have some skill and know what I am talking about, despite the fact it's wifi with horrendous lag. A bunch of us are going to genesis2, so that will determine if we're bad or not.

NOSS

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. Long time lurker first time poster here.

Been playing SSB:B since launch. I've of course played the original and Melee as well but didn't take either of them seriously at the time and just messed around with friends with playing. Brawl is my first attempt at playing competitively. I had a group of friends that all played together and we thrived to become really good at the game, we all frequented the forums and in the end got relatively decent. Then some time passed, finishing up High School and starting College so I can say I probably haven't been playing Brawl seriously since, eh...2009.

Now my work load has become a bit lighter and I have more time on my hands. I work at a small Video Game store now and we run relatively big tournaments every so often along with weekly get-togethers to play games, Brawl included. There's an upcoming event in about 2 weeks for Brawl and other things and I thought why not take this chance to get into the game again.

Sorry for the lengthy intro, just wanted to drop a little info about me before posting haha. But anyways, on to why I'm posting here. I've been maining G&W since a month or two after release and I just fell in love with his play style. I'm currently practicing with computers to try and get my accuracy for certain moves down but I just had a few questions for some of you other G&W players.

1.) What do you believe are the "essentials" a G&W player should know and use during a battle.

2.) About "Bucketing" is it DI and THEN Bucket to stop your momentum?

I hope I have great time now that I'm posting here and learn a lot from you guys! :)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You can't really DI after you bucket, so yes, DI as best as you can then bucket.

As a GaW player, I feel the essentials are to be very good at reading your opponent's habits, and not being predictable yourself. GaW is committed enough as is, you can't afford to go auto pilot, or you will get wrecked. Other than that abuse what you can, and be smart about linking moves together. If you think something will work on a specific opponent that shouldn't work, go for it. Don't be afraid to be creative.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Just like Wario, I believe that "tricky" movement is extremely important for G&W's game. Knowing how to space your moves also is very significant.

Of course, efficient spacing is important for every character. But in G&W's case, not only is it about safety but also about how some of his moves change properties with different spacing.

Being able to land K.O. moves past f.air and d.smash also is important. Against G&W, a lost of people tend to block in specific situations because they are scared of his smashes. This is when his throw game truly becomes effective. And when the opponent starts looking for throws, his smash increase in effectiveness.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W is about perfect spacing. You need to be extremely comfortable with all five of his aerials, D-tilt, and Jab hitboxes to be successful with him. All in all your bread and butter for spacing will be a mix of B-airs, buffered fullhop F-airs, and a few D-tilt and Jab pokes here and there to keep people off balance, and doing this consistently and effectively is crucial for success.

Also you have to be really good at capitalizing off his grab game. G&W is good at getting people to shield, so making the most of his grab game, either by knowing when juggling/edgeguarding is applicable, or by reading your opponent's tech patterns after D-throw is essential.

Learning to edgeguard with F-air and D-air is standard fare if you are maining G&W. These two attacks used correctly can basically cover any recovery option in the game, even Metaknight's. If you don't know how to slowfall D-air, just remember that inputting a fastfall while D-airing actually makes you fall slower.

That's all I can think of atm. But yeah, hope you become successful. =)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Honestly I don't blame anyone for thinking I am garbage, but I think my AiB ladder preformances should indicate I have some skill and know what I am talking about, despite the fact it's wifi with horrendous lag. A bunch of us are going to genesis2, so that will determine if we're bad or not.
But you l0$e 2 R&ffr33
jk:p
also beat mah 2200 record:D lol

Hey guys. Long time lurker first time poster here.

Been playing SSB:B since launch. I've of course played the original and Melee as well but didn't take either of them seriously at the time and just messed around with friends with playing. Brawl is my first attempt at playing competitively. I had a group of friends that all played together and we thrived to become really good at the game, we all frequented the forums and in the end got relatively decent. Then some time passed, finishing up High School and starting College so I can say I probably haven't been playing Brawl seriously since, eh...2009.

Now my work load has become a bit lighter and I have more time on my hands. I work at a small Video Game store now and we run relatively big tournaments every so often along with weekly get-togethers to play games, Brawl included. There's an upcoming event in about 2 weeks for Brawl and other things and I thought why not take this chance to get into the game again.

Sorry for the lengthy intro, just wanted to drop a little info about me before posting haha. But anyways, on to why I'm posting here. I've been maining G&W since a month or two after release and I just fell in love with his play style. I'm currently practicing with computers to try and get my accuracy for certain moves down but I just had a few questions for some of you other G&W players.

1.) What do you believe are the "essentials" a G&W player should know and use during a battle.

2.) About "Bucketing" is it DI and THEN Bucket to stop your momentum?

I hope I have great time now that I'm posting here and learn a lot from you guys! :)
Spacing Spacing Spacing, most important. Really getting used to G&W's mobility will help on this. Just take a look on videos of other G&Ws compared to vinnie/zac/vex/gimr and how unpredictable their movement can be. Also what A2 said about grab game. I think a problem some G&W players(and overall as a smasher) may have is that they are afraid to step out of their comfort zone and try new approaches to the same situations. Trial and Error:smash:

Also,overgamer
is your sig a madoka reference lol?

edit:
Lul,nvm it's not
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Also,overgamer
is your sig a madoka reference lol?

edit:
Lul,nvm it's not
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
Indeed it's not. I do plan to watch it, but tbh if you want to talk about anime, let's go to the Zss social lol.
EDIT: lol Quotes destroys QB pretty much.

Top Bottom