• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ I agree Chief, there are a lot more resources this time around for smash.

@ Chief Mendez
As someone who plays Street Fighter, I can tell you all the cancelling stuff, WD, crazy combos, grabs, unique move styles, are more advanced that SF in some ways, and SF is more advanced in Melee is some ways. It's like compairing apples and oranges (Melee is the oragnes, because I like oranges more). :laugh:

But ya you're right, we wanna play as our fav video game characters and pwn n00bs all day long online! (just look at my sig) Other than that I agree with you 100%, I wanna go pwn n00bs online who say stuff like "I 10 stocked Ken" with the people on my sig and my Melee favs, and laugh at them when I 5 stock them in the end. Plus I wanna face some good copetetors of course, and some fools to beat the crap out of me so I can learn where to improve on, and beat the crap out of them 5 days later...:laugh:

Plus at least or around 40 stages, 40 characters (I expect 41 or 42 however), 60 kagillion items, several options, fight modes, online, what more do you want. Still, I wonder how 6 player or 8 player online would work...that would be an intresting experiment, and I would be intrested in seeing how it works, I always love switching between 1 on 1's, teams, and FFA's, and I wonder what 6 or 8 players in teams and FFA (dumb campers) would work=????

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
6 to 8 player online? I think we'd be lucky if we got four player running on WiFi!

Also, 40 stages seems like alot. There were like, 9 in 64, then twenty...nine was it? 29 in Melee. I guess if every Melee stage comes back that's feasible, but I'd rather see stuff like Poke Floats and Brinstar go in favor of more modern areas from their respective franchises.

So yeah, I don't expect there to be as many (if any) flaws/glitches like wavedashing and the like in Brawl. And, crazy thought: if they can perfect the game engine by retail, they can leisurely send us downloadable items and stages over WiiConnect24 (assuming Ninty gets their butts in gear and lets us upgrade the Wii's memory banks).

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Or if Nintendo were to at least sell expandable memory, then at some cost we'd be able to get updates. Some of the glitches in Melee were rather silly, I hope you're right about this no glitch thing, though I have a hard time imagining a game without a single glitch. Practically impossible.

Lesse, in Melee there were...yeah I think you are right Chief. And if not, the number is somewhere between twenty-seven and thirty. I wouldn't expect more stages in Brawl, and quite honestly, I wouldn't even use more. There's only seven or so stages in Melee that I use.

Seven minutes after three EST and still no update.

EDIT: Also, you're probably right. I would imagine that Nintendo is putting FAR more work into Brawl than what went into either of the first two. What are the chances that it's greater than the first two combined?!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Rhyme said:
Also, you're probably right. I would imagine that Nintendo is putting FAR more work into Brawl than what went into either of the first two. What are the chances that it's greater than the first two combined?!
Hopefully alot.

3:16 aaaaand...nothin'. Well, I'm hittin' the sack. Have fun laughing at my expense when the update hits ten seconds after I leave my computer.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
6 to 8 player online? I think we'd be lucky if we got four player running on WiFi!

Also, 40 stages seems like alot. There were like, 9 in 64, then twenty...nine was it? 29 in Melee. I guess if every Melee stage comes back that's feasible, but I'd rather see stuff like Poke Floats and Brinstar go in favor of more modern areas from their respective franchises.

So yeah, I don't expect there to be as many (if any) flaws/glitches like wavedashing and the like in Brawl. And, crazy thought: if they can perfect the game engine by retail, they can leisurely send us downloadable items and stages over WiiConnect24 (assuming Ninty gets their butts in gear and lets us upgrade the Wii's memory banks).
6-8 players online would be intresting to see, but we will be lucky if we get 4 players running on WiFi, considering Nintendo needs to at least put some of their budget behind online play like Microsoft did with Xbox Live. Hopefully Nintendo gets serious with this...hell I'll pay $5-$10 a month just to play Brawl without crappy online.

40 stages isn't a strech if you think about it. There were 9 stages, and 12 characters in SSB64, 29 stages and 26 characters in Melee, so I'm guessing there will be about the same # of characters and stages, maybe more stages again like Melee.

I'm guessing we'll get a few (at least 5) classic stages back (dreamland 64 again!+hyrule temple!), plus we'll definitely see BF and FD remade. Also downloadable content could add some classic stages back. (hopefully we get all the AMAZING classic stages back!) I think the downloadable content could come into play, as Chief Mendez said, if Nintendo gets their butts into gear, and starts working up the Wii meomory bank.

This would work great if Nintendo would release a actual harddrive of some sort or something like that, or find some way to actual get a decent amount of memory on the Wii, without screwing over us current Wii owners. I want a ton of my fav classic courses back, heck if I could, I'd have them all back but the Wii needs more harddrive, and Nintendo needs to start using downloadable content in their biggest titles. Hopefully Nintendo uses that firepower they have and go all-in with Brawl, because Brawl is their best bet to win the console wars.

Nintendo has to make less errors in Brawl (mod WD a bit=Luigi!) If Nintendo really wants to get Brawl down, they'll give us sick courses, familiar and unfamiliar (coming), awsome music (we get the best possible, minus John Williams! :ohwell:), awsome characters we all know and love (we're bound to get this), awsome online, and downloadable content with a harddrive to back it up. The last two aren't confimred, but online is basically required, and the last one is what will make Brawl keep getting better, updated, and have new content even after it's release. And we all want that, now don't we=? :) ;) :cool:

Rhyme

Smash Lord
A surprising update.
I can't believe Sakurai jumped right on two characters instead of individuals. Maybe he's going at an honest speed rather than dragging it out in his mindgames. Who'd have thought, given the recent state of things.
I'll put it in spoilers so as not to ruin it for Dyce.

The graphics on Mario's fireball are amazing, but the picture below that is a bit more interesting. As Mario kicks at Fox, Fox appears to be in a blocking animation, but there is no colorful bubble shield nor sparks to indicate a powershield. I realize that it is entirely possible that Fox could be entering/exiting the shielding animation, but it's also a possibility that this is something new, right? Maybe those colorful shields that we know and love are hitting the high rode?

What does everyone else think?

GenG

Smash Lord
I think most people think that the bubbles were disabled to make the screens more appealing to the eyes. But they have to say something about blocking in future updates of the How to Play section, and we'll know then.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Frank: Granted Fox's new look was "surprising" to say the least, I think the whole thing falls together nicely in the end. The blaster isn't such a big deal, especially after you consider that Zamus also holds a weapon in hand, it kind of makes sense. Not to mention I'm sure we will have at least one other character *cough*Falco*cough* who holds a weapon in hand.

GenG: I'm not completely opposed to that idea, removing Yoshi's egg will allow him to jump out of a guard, which will smooth out his gameplay for people trying to get used to his already awkward style. Hopefully Yoshi will become more playable, if they do.

Vali

Smash Ace
Yoshi's egg is a really nice innovative personal touch though and I think it'd be a shame to lose it. Obviously they made him not able to jump out of it to counteract the fact it doesn't shrink in size which really isn't a good trade off, but I was thinking if they implemented it where he could jump out of it but in the process the egg would break and so there'd be a cooldown on his shield again. Of course it goes without saying that from his egg breaking through jumping he wouldn't get stunned as that'd be another ******** trade off ^^. While not being able to shield quickly again doesn't seem like any problem whatsoever, it's very possible that you might just get nailed by a projectile like Samus' charge shot in that time frame where a (power)shield would come in handy.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
A surprising update.
I can't believe Sakurai jumped right on two characters instead of individuals. Maybe he's going at an honest speed rather than dragging it out in his mindgames. Who'd have thought, given the recent state of things.
I'll put it in spoilers so as not to ruin it for Dyce.

The graphics on Mario's fireball are amazing, but the picture below that is a bit more interesting. As Mario kicks at Fox, Fox appears to be in a blocking animation, but there is no colorful bubble shield nor sparks to indicate a powershield. I realize that it is entirely possible that Fox could be entering/exiting the shielding animation, but it's also a possibility that this is something new, right? Maybe those colorful shields that we know and love are hitting the high rode?

What does everyone else think?
You don't need to hide anything for me. Thanks for caring though. I appreciate it.
I check the site every morning when I wake up right after I get out of the shower at 7:20. I don't open Smashboards until at least 9.

As for the the Fox thing, yea I just went to look again at the site, noticed it, came on Smashboards and low-and-behold someone was talking about it.
They may have just shown a pre/post-block animation.
Or maybe they finally took the ugly bubble out and just made a blocking animation?
Or maybe they just edited the bubble out because it looks better in a snapshot?

Anyway, it looks cool, I hope we get to block instead of sheild. That would just look better, but it would be something we'd all need to get used to

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Blocking without the bubbles would be a step down/back imo. It would start to feel like I'm playing Street Fighter or some other fighting game.

EDIT: Also, that would remove the ability to repel projectiles which makes things like Falcos SHL god tier material.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
DynamicDuo said:
yea without a bubble how can u tell if they're guard is about to break.
Uh, the character slowly darkens? Starts to shake? Something like that.

But I don't know why they'd remove the bubble. I would, however, like to see more of a use for moving your sheild while it's up (other than defelecting missiles).

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Well...I like the shaking idea and turning dark would be weird. Imagin Link turning white, to asian, to black...freaky. Nevertheless, I like the bubble shields and that is where Halo3 copied smash.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Well it is clear and Microsoft is stupid. Halo... or should I say Gaylo(ha ha)has a "Bubble Shield" grenade. Any hints there...they are afraid of Brawl as they should be.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Paranoia's a mental illness, Creo. You should look it up sometime.

Ceriously, though...they may be rivals (Halo 3 and Brawl) in the market sense, but the development teams are way too busy perfecting their respective games to bother worrying about what the other team's doing. Plus, they're different genres, and outside of the loosest, most bare-bones description (both games have sheilds that are shaped like spheres), they act and function very differently.

Also, Halo has nothing to be afraid of. While Smash is a popular game, it can in no way be compared to the recognition and popularity of Halo in the West. Enough with the conspiracy theories.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Okay first off, I knew that they didn't take the idea from smash(or did I?)and second, I knew they had nothing to be afraid of. It was a joke dude.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Creo said:
Okay first off, I knew that they didn't take the idea from smash(or did I?)and second, I knew they had nothing to be afraid of. It was a joke dude.
Well...you're not too great at projecting sarcasm through text then. Sorry teh misunderstanding though.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
You fought Dark Link in OoT and in Melee and in Zelda 2. And in Melee so that would not be anything new at all too us but would be cool to see again.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Zelda 2? Holy crap..I haven't played that game yet but I might as well find it and play it.
ROMs of it are pretty easy to find.

I have to say though...if you've never even heard of it, you probably won't like it. It's hard, it's long, and it plays weird. Basically, it hasn't aged well over the years.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Mendez is right. America is full of cowboys. Why be a cartoon character and fight someone with actual skill when you can shoot something with a sniper rifle from a quarter of a mile away and scream ignorant dribble over the internet? Sometimes I wish we weren't the fattest stupidest country in the world.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I'll have you know I am "BUFF" and work out all the time. No fat here baby.
Zelda two is side scrolling through most of it and plays different but to me, A Nintendo made Zelda is Zelda.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
Mendez is right. America is full of cowboys. Why be a cartoon character and fight someone with actual skill when you can shoot something with a sniper rifle from a quarter of a mile away and scream ignorant dribble over the internet? Sometimes I wish we weren't the fattest stupidest country in the world.
Xbox Live ******* aside, Halo's a great game. It's not mere chance that the most popular game in the American mainstream is also really darn good.

We may be fat, but we do have taste.

EDIT - Also, I think you mean "ignorant drivel". To ignorantly dribble would mean that the Halo player is either not very good at moving a ball (like, a basketball) in a repetitive motion, or that his slight trickle of drool doesn't care about black people. Both of which just so happen to be pretty funny situations.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
That my friend...I can definitely agree with you on. Speaking of fat...I am eating TacoBell, Wendy's, and Subway right now. Guess I don't get fat and I don't even have a fast Matabilism.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Creo said:
I am eating TacoBell, Wendy's, and Subway right now.
Wait wait wait...so in your mouth right now is a taco, burger, and a hoagie? Dayum, Creo; lay off the liquid heart attack for a bit, why don't'cha?

Morphie

Smash Rookie
ROMs of it are pretty easy to find.

I have to say though...if you've never even heard of it, you probably won't like it. It's hard, it's long, and it plays weird. Basically, it hasn't aged well over the years.
Zelda II is one of the best games of all time. It's available for around $10 for GBA, and should be released on Wii Virtual console in the US sometimes soon, as it is already out in Japan and Europe. It's one of my favorites by far. You can't beat the downward sword strike in Zelda II, and "I am Error" is about as classic as quotes get. Hooray to Super Paper Mario for bringing that to a new generation, even if it was just a nod to the times of old.

I think the Fire Emblem boys, (or at least Marth) are going to return, i saw a stage that bore some resemblance to Fire Emblem, and why would they make a stage when no charcter is there to support it?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Exactly why there should be no fear for Yoshi and Marth to return.

Also, it's basically been proven (we're 99% sure) that the castle is from FE3, a Marth game. Marth will definitely make the cut, I can't say the same for Roy. I wish I could, but I can't. He was a clone, he wasn't as good as Marth, and he's less popular now compared to when he was first introduced to everyone in the game.

[Reneactment of everyone in the Smash community:]
"WOWZ! DIS RED GUY HAZ A FUYR SORD! ZOMG! HEEZ MOR AWSUM DEN DAT GURLY BLU GUY!"
...days pass... youtube videos appear...
"Wow, Marth owns Roy... wtf was I thinking?"

MasterGary

Smash Ace
Because I missed a couple pages I'll post this now. I wouldn't have a problem with the Wii's small hadrdrive-ish thing because the only game that will be using that space is Brawl and if it's anything like Melee it shouldn't take up that much space.

And Dyce, that was a pretty good reinactment, that is exactly the way I though untill I got used to Melee.

I still have my fingers crossed for a few snapshots or something or Falco so that I can know that he's confirmed.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'll be keeping my ear open for a hard drive release for Wii, they can't expect to go on with only SD cards and internal memory can they?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'll be keeping my ear open for a hard drive release for Wii, they can't expect to go on with only SD cards and internal memory can they?
Out of the 2,000 (give or take a hundred) blocks of memory I started with, I only have about 1,000 (ditto) left after all my VC downloads. It's only been six months since I got my Wii.

At the very least, I need more channel spaces for VC games.

EDIT - MasterGary: Back in November, the weekend before launch, Iwata said that Twilight Princess DLC would be possible using WiiConnect24. It was probably an example, but you get my point. Also, what about all these channels? Don't they take up space too? Just 'cause few games (hopefurry Brawl) might use it doesn't mean we don' need moar space.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Because I missed a couple pages I'll post this now. I wouldn't have a problem with the Wii's small hadrdrive-ish thing because the only game that will be using that space is Brawl and if it's anything like Melee it shouldn't take up that much space.

And Dyce, that was a pretty good reinactment, that is exactly the way I though untill I got used to Melee.

I still have my fingers crossed for a few snapshots or something or Falco so that I can know that he's confirmed.
I hear you on the Falco thing. I really need for my main/best to come back with his spike, laser, and tailswipe all intact. Sure they should Luigify him, but not too much.
*Just thought I'd say that I think they're going to nerf Fox. and Marth. (and Sheik if she returns.)

Out of the 2,000 (give or take a hundred) blocks of memory I started with, I only have about 1,000 (ditto) left after all my VC downloads. It's only been six months since I got my Wii.

At the very least, I need more channel spaces for VC games.

EDIT - MasterGary: Back in November, the weekend before launch, Iwata said that Twilight Princess DLC would be possible using WiiConnect24. It was probably an example, but you get my point. Also, what about all these channels? Don't they take up space too? Just 'cause few games (hopefurry Brawl) might use it doesn't mean we don' need moar space.
Is there really going to be DLC for TP? I could use that, I'm trying to get into that game again. I've played OoT at least 20 times minimum, MM about 15, WW around 5 (would be more but all that demn sailing...), tLoZ and aLttP countless times, MC about 3, and TP only once. It's saddening to consider myself a Zelda freak and only play one of my favorite Zeldas only once (without even finishing the extras). Maybe if they throw more dungeons and items and side-missions in that would intreague me to play again. I really did enjoy it, I just can't seem to get back into it.

Maybe because of all of this smashing...

Top Bottom