• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Instead of, for example, 5 Starter/Random/Neutral stages and the stage is just randomly chosen, a coin is flipped. Whoever wins picks a stage from the 5 they don't want to play, and it's struck. then the other guy picks a stage and strikes it. they go back and forth til there's only one stage left, and they play on that.
I hope that's not implemented into the official list...that would take too much time / be too much of a hassle in tourneys and probably wouldn't be done that much.

I don't know where you'd get the vibe that the SBR would be as conservative as possible when they're attempting to be as liberal as possible and let the stages prove themselves broken in tournament settings. I completely hate the list above by the way, but it's what I expect.
Exactly, so that's not a "final" list...my list that I posted is the final one, after they've realized how broken some of the stages are.

clowsui

Smash Legend
lol FC-Quest would like to have a word with you, it finished in a timely fashion and it's not that much of a hassle.

Flipping a coin = ~10-20 secs
Striking stages = 2-3 mins tops, after people get used to this system

OS, Kel and SamuraiPanda have all indicated (personally or over the internet) that the official list will implement this. To me, this is a fantastic system to accommodate for those "borderline" stages in Brawl - the ones between CP and Neutral (e.g. Siege, Plaza, Lylat Cruise [imo], etc).

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Instead of, for example, 5 Starter/Random/Neutral stages and the stage is just randomly chosen, a coin is flipped. Whoever wins picks a stage from the 5 they don't want to play, and it's struck. then the other guy picks a stage and strikes it. they go back and forth til there's only one stage left, and they play on that.
Personally, I like that a lot. It takes out a random factor.

Oracle

Smash Master
The back room list looks good, but the only problem that I have is rumble falls on CP. IMO, the movement distracts too much from gameplay.

EDIT: Dammit, xona, what did I just tell you about double posting?

Wow...that was one crazy ride, the last 5 pages. Phew...crazy people.

I love the new sig mc-Killa, it's hilarious. True it's mean, but oh well?

Anyways, I like the most recent list you posted Dawn. So that's the SBR's list, eh? Not too bad. The only issues I would have with it are Norfair and Hanenbow, though if they pose too much of a problem in the future, the stages will just be modified, yes? That's cool, I'll win if I pick Norfair, so I'm good! We'll see. Eventually, tournament videos will be really common, and people will be playing on those two stages, so we'll see what comes of that. Anyways, good job everyone.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Yeah, I have a feeling that they'll put Norfair into CP because mic said that "stalling on Norfair has already been dismissed in the SBR." Hanenbow...I feel that they're going to look at it the same way we all looked at Poke Floats.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Why is Norfair Legal?! that stage is illegal under many circumstances and I'm seen as a crazy person because of it.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Charizard...read what I posted 2 minutes prior to your post.

I still think "striking out" is stupid. What if, by luck, I won the coin toss every single time? What if I then chose Castle Siege with Dedede and just continuously chaingrabbed you off the sides? It basically turns neutrals into counterpicking and counter-counterpicking by removing stages your opponent doesn't favor.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
you posted seconds before I posted, so that's how. Besides, Norfair stalling is the main reason most people would ban it, I'd ban it due to the fact that it is easy to abuse the stage.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Charizard...like I said, that's only what I thought the SBR would do. If you ask me, this is what I believe the list should be (without the striking out rule):

Singles:
Battlefield Recommended: Random Starter
Final Destination Recommended: Random Starter
Lylat Cruise Recommended: Random Starter
Smashville Recommended: Random Starter
Yoshi's Island Brawl Recommended: Random Starter

Brinstar Recommended: Counterpick
Castle Siege Recommended: Counterpick
Delfino Plaza Recommended: Counterpick
Distant Planet Recommended: Counterpick
Frigate Orpheon Recommended: Counterpick
Green Greens Recommended: Counterpick
Halberd Recommended: Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion Recommended: Counterpick
PictoChat Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium Recommended: Counterpick
Rainbow Cruise Recommended: Counterpick

75 m Recommended: Banned
Big Blue Recommended: Banned
Bridge of Eldin Recommended: Banned
Corneria Recommended: Banned
Flat Zone 2 Recommended: Banned
Green Hill Zone Recommended: Banned
Jungle Japes Recommended: Banned
Hanenbow Recommended: Banned
Rumble Falls Recommended: Banned
Mario Bros. Recommended: Banned
Mario Circuit Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Recommended: Banned
New Pork City Recommended: Banned
Norfair Recommended: Banned
Onett Recommended: Banned
Pirate Ship Recommended: Banned
Pokemon Stadium 2 Recommended: Banned
Port Town Aero Dive Recommended: Banned
Shadow Moses Island Recommended: Banned
Skyworld Recommended: Banned
Spear Pillar Recommended: Banned
Summit Recommended: Banned
Temple Recommended: Banned
WarioWare, Inc. Recommended: Banned
Yoshi's Island Melee Recommended: Banned

Jungle Japes is banned because of the OHKO Klap Trap and the water (the water could be seen as a manipulation of game physics, and Melee did not have this, this is why I believe it should be banned in Brawl). Onett is banned because, even though you can camp on the left and right sides near the walk-offs, you can jump over the cars that come, as well as air dodging them, spot dodging them, wall-teching after they hit you, or shielding them. It's a shame cause I personally think that it would be a decent counterpick, and I really like that stage. If you try coming down, you usually just get bthrown from a shieldgrab and killed. Pokemon Stadium 2 is banned because it manipulates the game's physics.

Meh...the first list isn't going to be perfect, I guess. Oh well...we tried, eh? I like that list above me, I like everything about it. But...if I have to deal with Hanenbow and Norfair, then I will.

I think that once tournament videos are in abundance, and there's some form of league like MLG that makes that easier, the stages will be critiqued more harshly.

And I still agree with you on the coin rule. I think it's pretty dumb too. Regardless of how little a hassle the coin flipping bogus is, it's pointless. I see no reason why it's important or how it's going to change anything. It's just another rule that's there just because it can be. If you can't just play on a neutral stage then you know, I think you're not good enough to play Smash competitively. Go play a different game.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I still think "striking out" is stupid. What if, by luck, I won the coin toss every single time? What if I then chose Castle Siege with Dedede and just continuously chaingrabbed you off the sides? It basically turns neutrals into counterpicking and counter-counterpicking by removing stages your opponent doesn't favor.
How often is the situation you describe going to happen? In theory, a coin flip will have a 50/50 chance of either player getting to choose, so on average they will get an equal amount of chances. I realize you probably think it's unreliable to use averages because there's a chance one player will be favored, but there is an equal chance the other player will be favored as well. I'm also pretty sure that part of the point of it is that you can strike out stages that either benefit your opponent or put you at a disadvantage.

Also, you can't "continuously" chaingrab someone off Castle Siege. Even if you do manage to KO someone with Dedede's downthrow, they're not going to be stupid enough to let you keep doing it. They're either going to use the platforms to keep you from doing it again or stall until the stage changes. I'm not trying to argue for or against the stage's placement anywhere, I'm just saying it's not an instant-win for Dedede like you make it sound.

Onett is banned because, even though you can camp on the left and right sides near the walk-offs, you can jump over the cars that come, as well as air dodging them, spot dodging them, wall-teching after they hit you, or shielding them. It's a shame cause I personally think that it would be a decent counterpick, and I really like that stage. If you try coming down, you usually just get bthrown from a shieldgrab and killed.
The houses are very close to the sides of the stage, so if you just stand there behind them you can't attack your opponent, and you can't grab someone that's directly above you since you can't grab upwards. Plus if you have to react to a car coming by, whatever you do will leave you vulnerable to something the opponent can do.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is banned because it manipulates the game's physics.
That's reason to make it counterpick, as some characters can make use of them (even if they are just there for 20 seconds or so).

EDIT:
And I still agree with you on the coin rule. I think it's pretty dumb too. Regardless of how little a hassle the coin flipping bogus is, it's pointless. I see no reason why it's important or how it's going to change anything. It's just another rule that's there just because it can be. If you can't just play on a neutral stage then you know, I think you're not good enough to play Smash competitively. Go play a different game.
Forgive me when I say I have a hard time believing the SBR would add a rule purely because they can.

Also, what do you mean by that last statement? The coin flipping is for deciding which of the random stages to play on, so how are they "not just playing on a neutral stage"?

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
AlexX, think about this. I have a 1/16 chance of being able to strike 3 stages in a row. 3 stages. Now, you might think "1/16 isn't a lot", but you'd be surprised as to how many people actually get that lucky. And besides that fact, the actual neutrals on that list that somebody made up suck. If they're going to do this coin-toss thing, I'm pretty sure they're going to do it on the 5 stages that everybody has generally agreed upon to be neutral.

The SBR list will look something like this (with use of a stage strike system):

I don't know where you'd get the vibe that the SBR would be as conservative as possible when they're attempting to be as liberal as possible and let the stages prove themselves broken in tournament settings. I completely hate the list above by the way, but it's what I expect.
Xiivi isn't even part of the SBR, so he doesn't even know what the stage list is. In other words, this list isn't confirmed, and I highly doubt it will (I at least hope it won't). He even said, that's what he "expects." And even with people like Ankoku in the SBR...one or two people do not make up majority vote.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Charizard...like I said, that's only what I thought the SBR would do. If you ask me, this is what I believe the list should be (without the striking out rule):

Singles:

Jungle Japes is banned because of the OHKO Klap Trap and the water (the water could be seen as a manipulation of game physics, and Melee did not have this, this is why I believe it should be banned in Brawl). Onett is banned because, even though you can camp on the left and right sides near the walk-offs, you can jump over the cars that come, as well as air dodging them, spot dodging them, wall-teching after they hit you, or shielding them. It's a shame cause I personally think that it would be a decent counterpick, and I really like that stage. If you try coming down, you usually just get bthrown from a shieldgrab and killed. Pokemon Stadium 2 is banned because it manipulates the game's physics.
This list summarizes my thoughts exactly! This is the most likely final list.

AlexX

Smash Ace
AlexX, think about this. I have a 1/16 chance of being able to strike 3 stages in a row. 3 stages. Now, you might think "1/16 isn't a lot", but you'd be surprised as to how many people actually get that lucky. And besides that fact, the actual neutrals on that list that somebody made up suck. If they're going to do this coin-toss thing, I'm pretty sure they're going to do it on the 5 stages that everybody has generally agreed upon to be neutral.
This subject has come up in Fire Emblem debates all the time because the characters have growth rates for each level they gain rather than gaining stats at a fixed rate. Yes, a character might gain a lot of stats in a few levels, but they might also gain little to none. Likewise, one person might have the chance of striking out 3 stages in a row, but the opponent could easily get the same, so it all evens out. It doesn't favor any single person over another, thus, on average it is even.

Also, what's wrong with taking out a good amount of the so-called "neutral" stages if they provide a disadvantage to my character? Say I'm Ike and I'm against a Fox. Ignoring the personal bans each of us would get, I would want to take out Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) when I get the chance because they either benefit Fox or hinder me. Likewise, Fox would want to strike out Battlefield, Halbeird, and possibly Castle Siege ASAP because Ike can hit some of the platforms in those stages without having to jump. This leaves Smashville or Delfino Plaza for us to fight on, both of which are relatively fair between the two.

Of course, even if one of us gets lucky, we're still going to be heading for a random stage since those are the only ones we have to choose from. Lets assume I get lucky and pick the majority of them. If that's the case Fox might have to deal with having to fight on Battlefield, which is still a random stage despite giving Fox a slight disadvantage. Likewise, if Fox gets to choose the majority of them, odds are we'd be fighting at Final Destination, which again is still a random stage, but benefits Fox and hinders me.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Unless I am mistaken, I believe there is one coin toss, and that decides who gets to strike out a stage first, and then it is the other person's turn and so on and so forth.
yes,but its just a pretty drawn out game of chance,i personally dont like it either,id rather just press the start button and get a 1/5 chance of getting a good stage rather than 1/16 chance of striking out the ones i dont want

AlexX

Smash Ace
Unless I am mistaken, I believe there is one coin toss, and that decides who gets to strike out a stage first, and then it is the other person's turn and so on and so forth.
I find it highly amusing that I write 3 paragraphs, then someone comes by with a single sentance that removes the need for my post... I guess I was thinking so hard I missed out on the obvious. XP

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
He's right, you just flip the coin to go first.

Honestly guys......jeez.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I think the idea is that it gets rid of the stages that give you the greatest disadvantage and/or give your opponent the greatest advantage.
In that case, let's preemptively remove Lylat, because everybody I know will strike that one first.

I'm not a fan of that system. The mark of a good player is being able to win on stages that give him a disadvantage... And the neutrals shouldn't be that terribly bad for you.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I think the idea is that it gets rid of the stages that give you the greatest disadvantage and/or give your opponent the greatest advantage.
Coin tossing doesn't prevent this idea because it allows you to strike out stages manually, making it almost like a counterpick, except more like a counter-counterpick. Hard to explain, but you get my idea; it's not random, biased humans are choosing the stage.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I'm not a fan of that system. The mark of a good player is being able to win on stages that give him a disadvantage... And the neutrals shouldn't be that terribly bad for you.
Tournaments are made to determine who is the best, and that is most easily done on the most neutral stage possible.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Tournaments are made to determine who is the best, and that is most easily done on the most neutral stage possible.
The system described is actually eliminating disadvantages, not advantages. There's no guarantee the stage that is ended at is most neutral for both characters.

AlexX

Smash Ace
The system described is actually eliminating disadvantages, not advantages. There's no guarantee the stage that is ended at is most neutral for both characters.
If that's the case, then why wouldn't one of the players have eliminated it beforehand? Ideally you'll want to take out the ones that give your opponent a slight advantage or your character a slight disadvantage, so assuming both players do that, the only remaining stage would be the most neutral between the two.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If that's the case, then why wouldn't one of the players have eliminated it beforehand? Ideally you'll want to take out the ones that give your opponent a slight advantage or your character a slight disadvantage, so assuming both players do that, the only remaining stage would be the most neutral between the two.
Arguably you should only know your own character going into the ban phase, but whatever.

Also, eliminating a disadvantage for your character isn't necessarily eliminating an advantage for another character.

pnoid

Smash Cadet
corneria is bad because of the ships that fire, no one wants to face a lucas that will just heal on that stage

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I like the sound of the stage strike system but I don't understand how it would affect counter picks. to me it seems like you wouldn't really get a counter pick since your opponent will ban as many stages as you.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Pretty much, yeah.

It was banned a long time ago...did you even read the list?
The list was from the SBR, was it?

Arguably you should only know your own character going into the ban phase, but whatever.
As far as I understand it, you know who your opponent is. I might be wrong, but I'm 90% sure you know.

I like the sound of the stage strike system but I don't understand how it would affect counter picks. to me it seems like you wouldn't really get a counter pick since your opponent will ban as many stages as you.
Stage Striking only applies for the first of three, replacing 'Random'. After the starting round, counterpicks is as per usual.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Singles:

Jungle Japes is banned because of the OHKO Klap Trap and the water (the water could be seen as a manipulation of game physics, and Melee did not have this, this is why I believe it should be banned in Brawl).
WHAT?! Ack, apparently I can't leave for 5 minutes without having a good counter-pick stage shoved alongside 75m and WarioWare, Inc.

Okay. Jungle Japes. Good counter-pick? Yes. Arguable? Sure. Ban-worthy? Not in the least.

Alright, so to make things clear, my stance on the matter is that Jungle Japes is a definite counter-pick. It has ONE issue, ONE hazard that people seem to judge as completly game-breaking. This is not true.

Let me clarify even further.
The hazard individuals seem to think of as too unfair would be the klaptraps. They're these crocodile things (mutated Totodiles as someone put it) that spike upon contact. "Instant kill" comes to mind, and this is correct, but certain conditions need to be met.
- the player needs to be in the water
- or the player needs to be on the ledges and past the invincible frames

Why would a player be in the water? Because they were knocked off the stage.
Why would a player be on the ledges? Same as above.

So why would they be knocked off the stage? Because that is how this game is played.

"But it seems unfair that once you get knocked off your soon to be killed by a klaptrap."
Even then, the klaptraps appear roughly every seven seconds. The majority of the time the player is quite likely to return to the stage without being eaten.

Klaptraps are a very avoidable hazard. Simply do not get hit off the stage, and if not that, do not spend a lot of time there. In other words, PLAY SMASH BROS CORRECTLY.

Another issue that people seem to misjudge as a hazard would be the water. No. The water in Jungle Japes is a fast-flowing current which both hinders characters with poor horizontal recovery, and rewards those with good horizontal recovery or a spike. This would be a good example of WHY we have counter-picking in the first place: in order to have an advantage over the other player's character.

Jungle Japes should not be banned. If you still believe so, answer me this question:

Who exactly is it unfair to?
Characters being spiked? Don't get spiked, really. You usually die, water or not.
Or characters who cannot throw people off the stage? -___-

fkacyan

Smash Hero
But if you're at a disadvantage, you're opponent is at an advantage; it is zero-sum.

Lol at the tags.
Oh, really?

Because one character could be at a disadvantage on a level that has nothing to do with the other character. Take Skyworld for example: It's obviously not neutral, but it serves anyways. If I'm playing a tether character, there's a string chance my tether will destroy the platform instead of going to the edge. Thus, I will ban the stage for that reason. That does not eliminate a character's advtantage, like ROB's ability to camp the loop on the stage. It only stops me from gimping myself.

There's nothing wrong with the current system, and I see no reason to inundate the lists with things people are going to use their strikeouts on anyways.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Is Skyworld going to be part of the strikeout neutrals?
No. That stage posits an extreme advantage for certain characters, classifying it as counterpick or bannable (if coupled with other circumstances).
I think these stages might work a bit better for your purposes:

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Is Skyworld going to be part of the strikeout neutrals?
No. That stage posits an extreme advantage for certain characters, classifying it as counterpick or bannable (if coupled with other circumstances).
I think these stages might work a bit better for your purposes:

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
It worked to serve as an example, and I agknowledged in my own post that it wouldn't be a neutral.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Even so, I don't think it works very well as an example XP
I think that the strikeout system works very well because it's only used to select the first stage. Within those 8 stages I listed, each one gives certain characters distinct advantages/disadvantages. Ideally you want to think of a path of elimination whereby you take out a few disadvantages for yourself (for example, if you're playing Ganon or Ike, then you don't want YI or LC) but you also attempt to secure your own advantages (following the same example, you want to keep FD, SV or even DP).

Sure, your disadvantages may have nothing to do with your opponent's character but that's not going to occur on any of the actual neutral stages. The strikeout is only used to choose the very first stage, and the only disadvantage that falls under this category that I think of is tethers, which none of the stages I put for Strikeout Neutrals hurt.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think it worked well as an example. It's a stage he doesn't like/has problems with, so he strikes it from the starter list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom