• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Green Hill Zone: Check points? C'mon they can easily be avoided. If you know the stage you know you can simply air dodge it. The disappearing stage I'm unsure on, I'll test it myself later.
but the checkpoint is a big thing especially if you can camp. Pit can have a field day one he has control of the checkpoint.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Ok 1st:
Mario Circuit- You say the cars (im assuming you mean they are too disadvantageous?). The Cars believe it or not can be avoided and in fact the stage warns you before they start coming. I think with this it depends more on the players then the stages on how well they can avoid them while still attacking each other effectively. Furthermore they can be destroyed. And the Circle thing doesn't even sound that bad at all, not compared to other stages.

Green Hill Zone: Check points? C'mon they can easily be avoided. If you know the stage you know you can simply air dodge it. The disappearing stage I'm unsure on, I'll test it myself later.

But neither of these points really gets at why these certain stages should be banned when others like Norfair, Rainbow Cruise, Pirate Ship, etc. are not. And keep in mind I'm arguing for simply banning these walk-off edge stages for CG characters. Unless of course you are for banning those stages I just mentioned?
You realize I support bans of the stages you mentioned, right? RC is the only stage there I'd allow as a CP.

Checkpoint camping is pro, by the way.

bobson

Smash Lord
Mario Circuit: Cars. Also a small circle, though not quite as complete as a true circle has to be (i.e. solid wall).
The cars? Are you serious? You get, what, two seconds of warning before anything happens? And even then, they're not really powerful. The walkoff is the only problem with this stage (And you can't circle camp here, trust me.).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Excuse me, my first time coming in here, but can anybody give me some details (descriptive preferred but I accept TL:DRs too) as to why some people want PSII banned? I don't see anything about the stage that alters performance to the point that it becomes unplayable or that the players put more emphasize on working with/avoiding the stage rather than on the opponent. There are no hazards that can outright kill anybody such as Spear Pillar's LAZAH!! either so what's the deal?

I personally see it as a legit CP, something in my gut says Neutral/CP would be pushing it but I could see it and I can't find anything from any point of view to want the stage banned other than people not having ice terrain anywhere else, low gravity, and just the unwillingness to adapt to the stage transformations, which by that case we should have Delfino banned because it has walkoffs & walls.

bobson

Smash Lord
Excuse me, my first time coming in here, but can anybody give me some details (descriptive preferred but I accept TL:DRs too) as to why some people want PSII banned? I don't see anything about the stage that alters performance to the point that it becomes unplayable or that the players put more emphasize on working with/avoiding the stage rather than on the opponent. There are no hazards that can outright kill anybody such as Spear Pillar's LAZAH!! either so what's the deal?
Most people ban it because nobody likes it, really. Same with Distant Planet.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Lol, there's really nothing wrong with Pokemon Stadium 2, hell, Pokemon Stadium ONE is more offensive with it's walls and gimpy ledge.

People simply don't like it, which is true, I've never seen it be counterpicked even once. But of course, unpopularity is not a reason to ban a stage.

If you want specific examples, whiny people point out the fact you can stall for a bit on the windy part (even though it's temporary), and the electric belts make ledge recoveries a teeny bit difficult (again, temporary).

Before banning PS2, you have to ban PS1 with it's broken wall "infinites." :laugh:

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Considering how the Water stage of PS1 got *****, I'd play PS2 over PS1 anyday, and of course the gimp ledge, it gets me ALL the time.
I don't ever see someone really CP PS1 ever.

The worst thing about PS2 is the Wind part, you can sorta' camp it out a bit, depending on who you are, but that's sort of the point of a CP.

There isn't really a reason to ban either of the Pokemon Stadiums.

As mentioned earlier, Norfair, Pirateship and Rainbow Cruise, why should they be banned?

Norfair: People always complain about free damage inside of the capsule and stuff. Don't go in it. Shield the lava, air dodge it, edge camp to avoid it, it's easy to avoid. There is nothing to really break this course AT ALL.

Pirate Ship: The only thing I could argue against this is a temp infinite against the catapult when it's out, but that's only for a couple seconds if anything. The stage hazards are avoidable, and not much else to break it, and further make the game unplayable.

Rainbow Cruise: There's a wall like one time throughout the route, and then the boat wall, but in turn, those are temp. Saying you should ban it for that is like saying you should ban Delfino cause it has walls for a section. Nothing else to break this course.

Mario Circuit and Green Hill Zone are banned because the walks off, that's a huge factor, that would make a match way too one sided, so saying you don't understand why those are banned, and why the three above are, you have to understand the qualifications a stage has to have in order to have it be banned.

infomon

Smash Scientist
the concern isn't just jiggs, the concern is that characters which have very high priority aerial attacks which either have lingering hitboxes or auto-snap to ledges are incredibly hard to approach... the question is, is it so hard that it doesn't matter how good you are, you can just compete with pro players regardless of your skill level by using that strategy?..

they say yes, yes it is that broken...
Do you believe this?

n00bs trying to plank is totally beatable lolllll

but yeah it's reallllllll good on norfair

but I'm not convinced that enough ppl have really explored planking options; especially for the characters that aren't top tier

Noone's ever been able to give me convincing video proof of any sort about Norfair's brokenness.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Do you believe this?

n00bs trying to plank is totally beatable lolllll

but yeah it's reallllllll good on norfair

but I'm not convinced that enough ppl have really explored planking options; especially for the characters that aren't top tier

Noone's ever been able to give me convincing video proof of any sort about Norfair's brokenness.
Every time I ask a friend to play me on a set there to record it they say "I have better ways to spend thirty minutes." =_=

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Thirty Minutes? Use a 7-minute timer. If you get KO'd, it's not broken.
We use an eight-minute timer in NJ, typically. And also, not everything I say has to be taken entirely literally.

The idea is that we don't enjoy playing on Norfair. While it's not hard, it's not fun either.

Luccie

Smash Cadet
Maybe the fact that it's the only other F-Zero representation that's not a sticker (since EVERYTHING got a representation from a sticker) and Captain Falcon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom