• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion- New Minor Update 19/4

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
They are not small but not big. A more reasonable thing to say is do you notice they are making the stages all seemingly tournament legal(maybe exception of ID)...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
So your saying because there is no tiers, theres no tournaments. I highly doubt so. And you never know if they are making stages like that for tournaments. Though I believe he maintains on the fun aspect, they may have tournaments(competition) in the back of thier minds. Whether they meant to do this or not, it is happening and gives a variety of tourny levels. Of course there will be big stages and moving stages still but as of now, it hasn't happened.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I just hope they'll bring back Hyrule temple tweaked out, or at least as a classic stage which would PWN if if they did

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Or they should just bring back the best stage ever...Kongo Jungle 64. Or they should consider bringing my second favorite stage ever, Metal Mario 64.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
So your saying because there is no tiers, theres no tournaments.
Ummm... no, I'm saying Sakurai's not looking at the quote enquote "professional" aspect of the game therefore he won't be building levels just for the aspect that they're tournament legal. There will be tournaments, without a doubt, but he's not building a game based off of competition purposes only. Notice he also isn't putting up an online leaderboard; lest we make Wii another Xbox and Brawl another Halo and reduce the good name of Smashers into the disgusting name of :urg: Halo Players (or as I like to call them 'Moronic, Immature Redneck Whiners with 4-Letter-Word Vocabularies').

Or they should just bring back the best stage ever...Kongo Jungle 64. Or they should consider bringing my second favorite stage ever, Metal Mario 64.
When you say "the best stage ever...", I think you're supposed to say "Kirby's Dreamland 64" immediately after. My English teacher taught me that. ;)

SnareRush

Big Loada
Well, I doubt they're making it "tournament legal". Since there taking out tiers, I guess they're disregarding tournaments as well. Sakurai is making the game his way, a "fun-for-all" game and just probably hasn't shown us anything BIG yet because he wants to blow our socks off.
How can they take out tiers? Even if they try and make the game perfectly balanced (which is impossible), the community's bound to lean towards certain characters and there will be a tier list up on these boards like a week after the game's released. Besides, if they somehow did take out tiers, wouldn't that make the game perfect for tournaments? Every character would have an equal chance of winning, even Bowser :p
Tiers for Melee were created by the fans so the same thing will happen with Brawl.

Also, I think that SSB and SSBM were created as 'fun-for-all' games, but they both work at tournament level. Brawl may change in some ways to Melee, but I think we can be pretty sure that there will be plenty of depth for us smashers.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
^^^^
Yes I know and agree wholeheartedly, but that's not the point I'm getting at.

They're not "taking out" tiers, they're trying their best to avoid them. SSB64 and Melee both made it to mass tournament grade gameplay, but that's not how it was originally intended (though there is a tournament mode).

The thing is, Sakurai is making a game that's equally fun for all players, a game where you play stages just for the fun of them, and a game that there's equal chance for every character to be as good. They're going to try, and most likely fail because they're shooting for the practically impossible. But I can tell you now, they're DEFINITELY not trying to make Brawl a "tournament" game. They're going to do what they've already been doing and just work on that idea.

The idea: Aim for a game that's fun for all, and whatever happens and wherever this goes, so be it.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Ummm... no, I'm saying Sakurai's not looking at the quote enquote "professional" aspect of the game therefore he won't be building levels just for the aspect that they're tournament legal. There will be tournaments, without a doubt, but he's not building a game based off of competition purposes only. Notice he also isn't putting up an online leaderboard; lest we make Wii another Xbox and Brawl another Halo and reduce the good name of Smashers into the disgusting name of :urg: Halo Players (or as I like to call them 'Moronic, Immature Redneck Whiners with 4-Letter-Word Vocabularies').

When you say "the best stage ever...", I think you're supposed to say "Kirby's Dreamland 64" immediately after. My English teacher taught me that. ;)
1st quote- Yeah I said that.

2nd quote-No I am pretty sure a higher authority(me) said Kongo Jungle 64 was the best...it is more Falco friendly for poor recovery. KDL64 is good though(english teacher taught me that).
Actually, Scientists figured since Smash 64 came out in I believe 98(been so long)that further analysis proved Kongo Jungle 64 pwns over KDL64 and was no mistake. Documentation is in my room.

OmegaXXII

^^^^
Yes I know and agree wholeheartedly, but that's not the point I'm getting at.

They're not "taking out" tiers, they're trying their best to avoid them. SSB64 and Melee both made it to mass tournament grade gameplay, but that's not how it was originally intended (though there is a tournament mode).

The thing is, Sakurai is making a game that's equally fun for all players, a game where you play stages just for the fun of them, and a game that there's equal chance for every character to be as good. They're going to try, and most likely fail because they're shooting for the practically impossible. But I can tell you now, they're DEFINITELY not trying to make Brawl a "tournament" game. They're going to do what they've already been doing and just work on that idea.

The idea: Aim for a game that's fun for all, and whatever happens and wherever this goes, so be it.

what good will that be when they hold tournaments which in my mind will be happening regardless if sakurai intends for it to be or not

SnareRush

Big Loada
Ye, I think we're thinking the same thing ^_^
However Sakurai envisions Brawl (most likely a 'fun-for-all' like you said), it's a sequal to two awesome tournament games, so some of that is bound to come though in Brawl. Can't wait!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Okay, three things...

No I am pretty sure a higher authority(me) said Kongo Jungle 64 was the best...it is more Falco friendly for poor recovery. KDL64 is good though(english teacher taught me that).
Actually, Scientists figured since Smash 64 came out in I believe 98(been so long)that further analysis proved Kongo Jungle 64 pwns over KDL64 and was no mistake. Documentation is in my room.
1) But I saw on the news one time that some Japanese scientists have finalized the "Theory of the Most Awesome Smash Stage" to KDL64.

It was on tv Creo. You can't fight it. And don't bother looking it up cuz... ummm... all the recordings and documentation of the news report were... ummm... burned... in a flood. :chuckle:

what good will that be when they hold tournaments which in my mind will be happening regardless if sakurai intends for it to be or not
2) There will be mind games. There's no getting around that. Mindgames are all just out-thinking your opponent. Anyone can play mindgames with any character. You can't find "mindgames.txt" in the debug menus, they must come from the HEART! :cool:

Ye, I think we're thinking the same thing ^_^
However Sakurai envisions Brawl (most likely a 'fun-for-all' like you said), it's a sequal to two awesome tournament games, so some of that is bound to come though in Brawl. Can't wait!
No doubt.

KoF Link926

Smash Apprentice
Not really, they're bigger than what you probably think.
A good example of what I mean is Yoshi's Island. :)
But yoshi's island is just one platform with a smaller platform above it. I think they r replacing size with things like changing surroundings like in delfino plaza u have a small platfrom that travels and lands throughout delfino island. They might also have smaller stages so that it will be a "brawl" because in huge maps some people tend to run away. Lol

KoF Link926

Smash Apprentice
They are not small but not big. A more reasonable thing to say is do you notice they are making the stages all seemingly tournament legal(maybe exception of ID)...
But yoshi's island is just one platform with a smaller platform above it. I think they r replacing size with things like changing surroundings like in delfino plaza u have a small platfrom that travels and lands throughout delfino island. They might also have smaller stages so that it will be a "brawl" because in huge maps some people tend to run away. Lol
I agree. But im just saying they r smaller then the maps in melee. U can read my second post quoted above.

OmegaXXII

obviosly some of these stages are bigger than then most of the stages in Melee like the Fire emblem castle which btw will be one of my favorite stages assuming it moves all around inside while fighting at the same time

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
If you think about it though, not many stages were HUGE. Every stage was about the same length. The only ones that really brake the standard are Flatzone for being smaller than average; then there are Fourside, Onett, and Yoshi's Island 64 for being a bit bigger than average and having some major obstructions; and then there are Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Cruise, Big Blue, and Poke Floats for being moving stages. All together, that's 8 levels out of 29 stages that break the norm of the average straight platform length and minimal, if not any, obstructions in the middle somewhere.

KoF Link926

Smash Apprentice
obviosly some of these stages are bigger than then most of the stages in Melee like the Fire emblem castle which btw will be one of my favorite stages assuming it moves all around inside while fighting at the same time
Hmm, !!! dang. i didn't know that was fire emblem castle and that they were both one coarse. lol. Well ya, thats what i was saying before. Ill just make it clearer (probably spelt that wrong lol), it looks like u will be playing in smaller areas but the whole map will either change in the backround, like in yoshi's island with the seasons, or just the whole map will move around and change, like delfino plaza or as your saying fire emblem castle which looked just like a legend of zelda castle lol. Can u tell me where u're getting these pictures and information if its not the official brawl dojo. I want just read and look up more about brawl.

KoF Link926

Smash Apprentice
If you think about it though, not many stages were HUGE. Every stage was about the same length. The only ones that really brake the standard are Flatzone for being smaller than average; then there are Fourside, Onett, and Yoshi's Island 64 for being a bit bigger than average and having some major obstructions; and then there are Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Cruise, Big Blue, and Poke Floats for being moving stages. All together, that's 8 levels out of 29 stages that break the norm of the average straight platform length and minimal, if not any, obstructions in the middle somewhere.
U also got maps like Hyrule temple which is abnormally huge. well, i thought the maps in brawl where going to be really small because the first maps i really saw were fire emblem castle which at the time i didn't know moved around, yoshie's island, foxes ship, mario cart coarse, and battlefield. All those maps r small. But now im thinking the maps will probably be a little bigger. but u nvr know

Sry about posting twice

KoF Link926

Smash Apprentice
What do u mean by that, i just signed up today so im not sure what that means?

Ahh, u mean posting twice in a row. Well, X-x-Dyce-x-X, they were 2 totaly different subjects to 2 different people so i didn't think it would be clear to edit it. But what do u mean y get hit with a ban from the mods?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Doesn't matter if you post on two different subjects. You need to edit your posts so you only post one at a time. And "getting hit with a ban from the mods" means "You'll recieve a notice from the moderators (the authority figures in the forums [you'll know one when you see one]) saying you're banned from posting for a while until you can learn to stop double posting."

Not trying to discourage you from anything, I'm just lookin' out for the newbies.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
No, there's nothing you can do now, just try to refrain from doing it in the future. Nothing will happen if you slip up once in a while (everyone makes mistakes) but if you do double-post just appologize at the start of your second post.

What courses does everyone think we'll be getting from Melee? I'm thinking any of the following:
Peach's Castle
Fountain of Dreams
Mushroom Kingdom II
Venom
Onett
Hyrule Temple (least likely, but I'm hoping)

KoF Link926

Smash Apprentice
I bet most maps will not stay completely, they might modify a lot of them. For example battle field and yoshis island.

U know fire emblem castle and the place with all the statues, r u sure they're the same map?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Kongo Jungle 64 and Metal Mario stage. Best stages from the series.(I know it is not melee...I don't really care for those ones.)
KoF Link926: He is asuming that the Fire Emblem stage will move...not a fact as of now so don't keep go saying that.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
No, I don't think they'll be the same map. I'm more than certain they'll be two separate stages. Saying they're the same level is like saying Mute City turns into Big Blue or Corneria turns into Venom. They just have similar features because they're from the same games. This isn't Mortal Kombat where you can knock a character through a wall and continue the fight somewhere else. Brawl is a 4 player game, so if one character were to get blown through a wall or something, every other character would have to stop fighting and follow in some gay little cutscene.

SnareRush

Big Loada
On that note, I think tonight's update is going to be Snake's stage or Pokemon Stadium.
Ye, hopefully we'll get a new stage update by the end of the week atleast. I'm hoping to see some more of the outdoor fire emblem stage, as the stage layout looks a bit more interesting than some of the other stages we've seen so far (3 platforms, symmetrical etc.)

SnareRush

Big Loada
****! you got me lol. It's gonna take me days to recover from that :p

Anyhoo, ye I wanna see some old stages returning too (re-made or as they were). I'm just hyped about the new ones at the moment.
I wonder, if any classic stages do return as they were, will they be different sizes? Like how Kirby's Dream Land felt bigger in Melee than it was in the original. Would be weird playing on something like Pokemon Stadium but it being bigger.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Oh... wow... yep... changed my mind about Snake's stage. I certainly don't think I want it anymore if I have to Rickroll for any reason.

Ummm... well, anyway, I think we'll be getting Kirby's FS tomorrow, and maybe we'll get Fox and Samus' Thursday and Friday? Seems like a stretch, but I think that might be it. I'm curious to know Pit, Meta Knight, Fox, and Snake's Final Smashes.

KoF Link926

Smash Apprentice
No, I don't think they'll be the same map. I'm more than certain they'll be two separate stages. Saying they're the same level is like saying Mute City turns into Big Blue or Corneria turns into Venom. They just have similar features because they're from the same games. This isn't Mortal Kombat where you can knock a character through a wall and continue the fight somewhere else. Brawl is a 4 player game, so if one character were to get blown through a wall or something, every other character would have to stop fighting and follow in some gay little cutscene.
i remember somebody saying that they would be the same map when i was arguing about smaller maps in brawl. I don't think they will be the same map though, thats just what somebody else said.

I havn't seen the snake map before.

u know what stage i want to see, ontop of hyrule castle, not like in melee, but like in the first game, but better

this is not related to stages, but is there any confermed release dates for brawl yet.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Wow, the disscussion between Scav and Mic first post looks SO 3-D.

Anyways, it can be edited that Battlefield IS confirmed now.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Oh... wow... yep... changed my mind about Snake's stage. I certainly don't think I want it anymore if I have to Rickroll for any reason.
That is wise Dyce...your jealous you got Rickrolled.

Anywho, I think we get a stage tomorrow. Personally, I think the blank notice update will be a week before E3 announcing it will be on and they will give us info such as stages, characters, items, etc.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Seeing as these updates are unpredictable i don't think they will put another character related update tomorrow... or will they!? *dramatic music*

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Why do people always ask when the release date is, in this thread?
You'd be better off asking in the Official Brawl Info page, but even then, it's unknown.

Anywho, Hyrule Castle N64 was probably the best stage in that game (I liked Mushroom Kingdom just a little more, same with Saffron City). If they were to bring it back, they should leave it all the same, just make it bigger (like how they overly re-sized Yoshi's Island N64, when put into Melee).

I think it'd be cool if all of the previous games in all of the Melee's were in Brawl, seperated into a different section in the stage select. That'd be fun. :) Really fun.
Now that Yoshi's Island stage is confirmed, and detailed by Sakurai, all that I really want to see now is Fox's new level. Semi-0 Gravity for the win!

Top Bottom