• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ziv, when you get done with the tio file for The Big House, would you mind emailing me back a copy of it?
It's been done and uploaded for a couple of days. I'll email it to you :)

EDIT: Who uploaded the UM Triweekly tournaments (juggleguy i think)? In UM3, there Hot ArmS is entered in to several different pools and goes 0-3 in every single one of them. He's also in bracket several times where he goes 0-2. Can you please check your Tio file and let me know what's supposed to be going on here. I can't process it until then.

EDIT2: Also at UM3, Warlock Don is entered in to two different pools.

On any note if you are uploading PLEASE make sure your Tio files are correct. The same player can NOT exist twice on the players list, and thus cannot be entered in twice in any pool or bracket.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Hahaha my bad. Hot ArmS actually represents a Bye, we did it as a joke. Also, delete the Warlock Don that didn't make it out of pools, that's the one that shouldn't be there. Sorry for the confusion.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Hahaha my bad. Hot ArmS actually represents a Bye, we did it as a joke. Also, delete the Warlock Don that didn't make it out of pools, that's the one that shouldn't be there. Sorry for the confusion.
It's cool. Hey also could you do me a favor when you have time and tag a bunch of the players states for the tournies you upload? It would be handy to have.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
hey, this is pretty nitpicky but i got sick at apex and never even made it to pools
do those still have to count as losses?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Yup, I've already started to do that actually.
Also do me a favor and start forcing your entrants to pick more unique gamer tags. If they refuse please add something to it, like their last initial or a number. I only point this out to you because for some reason you have a lot of players like this:
Don
Ray
Sam
Chad
Brad
Brandon
Shane
Tim

Those are names that really make my job tedious lol.

Mytummyhertz: Did you play in any matches at all at Apex? EDIT: Not to lol at you but it's funny that your name is "Mytummyhertz" and you got sick :)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Really, the most professional and unambiguous way to handle names would be for everyone to have their full name (first and last), regardless of gamer tag. I doubt it would be possible though.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Really, the most professional and unambiguous way to handle names would be for everyone to have their full name (first and last), regardless of gamer tag. I doubt it would be possible though.
it would also be SUPER LAME

@mytummyhertz if you never played any of your matches at all we can arrange something.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Can we rename John-FR to just Jean.
Varist, i think you just overcame your sig. That was pretty good.

As for what I was saying with t he whole claiming your rank thing, obviously you can do whatever you want and no I don't want to see this turn int a smashwikia...I was just thinking we could allow people to add a link from their ranking page to their SWF profile if they choose to do so for the sake of eliminating confusion between common names.

Also, not forcing the uploaders to do the tedious stuff is cool but if it helps you out maybe give them the chance if they want to?

Ace55

Smash Lord
The uploaded tournies Ace Smash 2 & 3 have the wrong dates (both 03/07/2012). The correct dates are October 2nd, 2010 & April 9th 2011.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why Time plays no role in rankings whatsoever. These 12-1300 players who beat today's top players back at their first tournaments several years ago should not bring the top player's rankings. Why can't tournament results from 2 years back and beyond be documented on the site but no longer affect rating? How is it fair that a win/loss from 5 years ago counts the same as it would if it happened last night?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have learned the hard way: if you don't actually understand what the hell the system is doing, leave it to the people that do.

Wins and losses from 5 years ago have almost no bearing on someone's Elo today. Every time you beat someone, your points go up and when you lose your points go down. Say you suck in 2005 and lose to everyone a lot and your Elo is 800. Then you start to beat people. Each time, your Elo goes up based on the Elo of the people you beat. If you are at 800 Elo and then win a tournament with Mango and Armada in attendance, your Elo will spike up to where it belongs very quickly. Its a self correcting system.

So to answer your question, a win/loss from 5 years ago doesn't count the same as if it happened last night. Losing to a 1000 level player when your Elo is 1000 barely hurts your rating, and as time goes on it matters less and less. If your Elo was 2000 and you lost to a 1000 level player, your Elo would drop a fair amount.

Kal

Smash Champion
The FAQ should just have a bunch of standard questions answered with:

"Read this thread."

as the answer. People need to learn to read through a thread before asking questions that likely have already been answered. This is likely a symptom of people thinking they are special. "Surely, no one else has thought to bring up this thought on how time impacts rank."

As Sveet said, the system is more or less self-correcting, c.f. this post.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's not a super lengthy thread to read through. I don't think SWF's mediocre search function is much of a problem.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
579 posts is kinda long when you consider how many walls of text there have been. Also, this is a problem in more threads than just this (99.9% of the boards are repetitive questions; almost none of the knowledge I spew out is self found, i just have a good memory of things i read)

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
I have learned the hard way: if you don't actually understand what the hell the system is doing, leave it to the people that do.

Wins and losses from 5 years ago have almost no bearing on someone's Elo today. Every time you beat someone, your points go up and when you lose your points go down. Say you suck in 2005 and lose to everyone a lot and your Elo is 800. Then you start to beat people. Each time, your Elo goes up based on the Elo of the people you beat. If you are at 800 Elo and then win a tournament with Mango and Armada in attendance, your Elo will spike up to where it belongs very quickly. Its a self correcting system.

So to answer your question, a win/loss from 5 years ago doesn't count the same as if it happened last night. Losing to a 1000 level player when your Elo is 1000 barely hurts your rating, and as time goes on it matters less and less. If your Elo was 2000 and you lost to a 1000 level player, your Elo would drop a fair amount.
I'm sorry my question was asked before, I don't think it was dumb though.

One more question: If Person B beats Person A, and then Person A goes on a hotstreak, wins tournaments, and their rating goes up 300 points, is Person B's rating calculated using Person A's NEWLY INCREASED Elo or the Elo from at the time that they played?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The Elo from the time that they played. The database of ratings is recalculated periodically such that everything is chronological.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty nifty, and answers my (apparently everyone's) concerns with time.

@kal Damn, was I just the last straw or what? Sorry I ruined your day.

:phone:

wiito

Smash Apprentice
You know, this is one of the things that I've always wanted to do :D I'm happy with this... I'll send my tio files later

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Paying for a higher Elo would be like paying for a higher seed in pools. Might help in the short run, but if you don't have the skills to match it aint gonna do **** for you

As for Kal, I think hes just having a rough day. Sometimes you're just super stressed and its easy to release anger on the internet. I know i've been guilty of this way too much. I'm sure he doesn't mean to get offensive.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Dang if I didn't have like 50 projects going on at once right now I'd have already converted what I've got. Really can't wait to put in FC3 and FCD pools.

Thing is, a ton of the great players at FC3 have zero other previous results, so it sucks for anyone who loses to them (if i understand the system right). Oh well.

Ambix

Smash Ace
On a more serious note, your rating would probably go way up if we had more tournaments from your region in the database. Can you help us out with this?
the only two large tournaments i've been to in the last few years were ROM4 (I think 4 was the most recent) and apex 2012.

I think I went to pound 5 but i don't remember when that was and I don't have TIO files for any of them.

This project must be a gigantic pain in the d*ck for you.

SURE*

*your elo is currently 1326 but feel free to give me money anyway :awesome:
I will pay you 40 pesos to give me a 1400 rating.

seems fair.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
the only two large tournaments i've been to in the last few years were ROM4 (I think 4 was the most recent) and apex 2012.

I think I went to pound 5 but i don't remember when that was and I don't have TIO files for any of them.
What I meant was you can talk to your local TOs and try to get tio files from them. What region are you from? Originally I thought it was Pittsburgh but your location suggests otherwise.

kd-

Smash Lord
There's another player named Chad who is mixed with my results. I attended all the SWEETs and UM Triweeklys but not Winter GameFest.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
There's another player named Chad who is mixed with my results. I attended all the SWEETs and UM Triweeklys but not Winter GameFest.
Now is a great opportunity for you to pick a more unique gamertag and use it. Let us know what you choose, and may the force be with you.

Ambix

Smash Ace
What I meant was you can talk to your local TOs and try to get tio files from them. What region are you from? Originally I thought it was Pittsburgh but your location suggests otherwise.
i'm in pittsburgh right now.

was just too lazy to change my location in my profile.

There really isn't much to be done about my rating. i don't really attend tournaments that often so i'm not on any of the TIO files i could get my hands on locally.

It's no biggie. I was just being silly.

Ambix, have we met? I seem to recall you riding with bunbun/ihsb to SMYM or MIST
yes we've met -__-

it wasn't show me your moves though. never went to any of them.

Was mist that IL tournament that they held in that church thing next to a frozen lake out in the middle of nowhere?

Top Bottom