• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Uploaded MELEE-FC1...pretty funny to see how some later "names" did at an early tournament for them.

http://www.ssbpd.com/tournament/MELEE-FC

Unfortunately the one pool with Ken is MIA and so are brackets. Sigh.

FC3 is complete but I have a corrupt file issue that we can't figure out. Finally finished setting up the first round of pools and it died on me.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
That is really interesting how you put together a schedule of play for pools at FCD. I've always thought about doing that to crack down on people who wait until the end to plow through all their sets. Can you briefly go over how you guys enforced the schedule of play at the tourney, Kish?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
A few things.

1. We actually had volunteers outside the pool to police the schedule.
2. All pools are done with pods of 4 systems, so theoretically there is always an open system for your next match.

It also prevents people from throwing matches to each other (somewhat) to help friends advance. We didn't even let people see the pool while they were playing, since everyone is expected to try to win at all times.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
I like to see more tournaments being uploaded on ssbpd soon. The list is constantly changing and I also like the fact the there is a top 50 list now. More tournaments uploaded = more accurate rating of players right>?

Now the results of any kind of tournament can and hopelly will be used. I dont have the results of the tourneys here in `Groningen` anymore, since it was `just a small tournament`.

This systeem is really good for the game!
Although seeing some guys in the top 50 of the world by ssbpd made me laugh =)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Any Melee tournament with a relatively standard ruleset can and will be included if uploaded. We don't discriminate. Get in contact with your local TOs and see if they have old .tio files; if not, then just let them know about the project and have them save them in the future. While huge tourneys are important, local tourneys are just as important as they build up the ratings of the dominant players in a region so then wins/losses against them at big tourneys matter. :)

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's because they're adding tournaments. Once there is a solid base of tournaments, the ratings won't change as much over such a short period of time. It's also a result of old tournaments being added. So if someone uploaded some old tourney Ken won, his rating would shoot up, but once FoxLisk reruns the calculations through his rating would go back down because it would be treated as an old tournament instead of a new one.

There are two players named exactly "Plank"... Is that because it got switched over to unique ID numbers for players? If so, are generic tags still an issue (as long as you know their ID# when you enter them into Tio)?

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Oh, so the calculations that account for back dating tournies aren't automatic? Jus wondering cuz it would be troublesome for a TO to use it during on of these weird calculation periods. I've seen some lower ranked players (those most affected by things like this) jump dramatically every now and then.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
There are two players named exactly "Plank"... Is that because it got switched over to unique ID numbers for players? If so, are generic tags still an issue (as long as you know their ID# when you enter them into Tio)?
One of them probably starts or ends with a space.
Oh, so the calculations that account for back dating tournies aren't automatic? Jus wondering cuz it would be troublesome for a TO to use it during on of these weird calculation periods. I've seen some lower ranked players (those most affected by things like this) jump dramatically every now and then.
Yeah you can't really automatically account for that for various reasons I don't wanna type out on my phone.

Incidentally, sometime this week or so I'm gonna be looking into a way to automatically seed players for you. Be on the lookout!

:phone:

Varist

Smash Lord
I've never seen a project blow up so quickly and efficiently. Every functionality FoxLisk has promised he has delivered. And we haven't had to wait months for it either. Jesus. Incredible props.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Seeding is definitely one of our goals with the ratings project, but that won't be a possibility until people's ratings are more accurate, so keep on uploading those tio files! Not many recent results have been uploaded.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Also, dunno if the elo system allows for this to be accurate, but how pheasable would it be to setup a region by region power ranking where you can decide what the timeframe is, so like if I only wanted to consider this year, or these past two years. Is elo that robust, or no?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Also, dunno if the elo system allows for this to be accurate, but how pheasable would it be to setup a region by region power ranking where you can decide what the timeframe is, so like if I only wanted to consider this year, or these past two years. Is elo that robust, or no?
Elo is that robust, yes, but it'll take some additional programming to be able to see evolution of power rankings over time.

Teczero - A lot of tristate ratings are really inaccurate right now because we're lacking results from our tournaments (particularly No Johns, ROM, Esticle series, and Mass Madness).

Bones0

Smash Legend
This has already been implemented... including the feature of excluding inactive players... and you can compare one region vs. another (or one group of several regions vs. another group of several regions). >_>

Mahie

Smash Lord
Could you add a European / USA or NA ranking as well? I find it odd that all the states/countries are present, but there's no simple way to compare them, apart from manually selecting every single one.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I know it has been asked before, by i can't find it right now.
what are we supposed to do, if there is a player that has not participated in a tournament, but was still listed in the Tio file?
Tell you in the thread and reupload the tournament with their names erased?

because that seriously hampers the motivation towards ssbpd for those affected.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I know it has been asked before, by i can't find it right now.
what are we supposed to do, if there is a player that has not participated in a tournament, but was still listed in the Tio file?
Tell you in the thread and reupload the tournament with their names erased?

because that seriously hampers the motivation towards ssbpd for those affected.
I'm not sure I understand the problem here clearly. You mean if the player is listed in the "players" list in tio, but was not an entrant in any of the events? If that's the case, don't worry about it, it won't hurt anything.

In general, you should just assume that the system is a total black box and not worry about how it's implemented. When something is messed up please let me know, but please just upload whatever you've got and let me deal with handling the data correctly.

@rokimomi

I'm not sure exactly what you want. You mean like running Elo scores for only a particular region over a given timespan? Because that doesn't make sense. If I'm misinterpreting you, though, let me know.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I guess its just an extension of the inactive players thing. Like we have a few players who are coming back to the scene but their high elo is b/c of ancient wins and I wanted to see if there was any way to compare them mathematically with only their recent victories.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I understand the problem here clearly. You mean if the player is listed in the "players" list in tio, but was not an entrant in any of the events? If that's the case, don't worry about it, it won't hurt anything.

In general, you should just assume that the system is a total black box and not worry about how it's implemented. When something is messed up please let me know, but please just upload whatever you've got and let me deal with handling the data correctly.
no, i'm talking about people that wanted to participate, but didnt/couldn't show up, and then got all their matches recorded as losses, because the TO didnt take them from the bracket/pool, and this was only noticed after the tournament was already uploaded on ssbpd

Ambix

Smash Ace
Stop updating this ;_;

It's making my ELO go down.

i'm the only one in the apex bracket in the 1200's now.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
no, i'm talking about people that wanted to participate, but didnt/couldn't show up, and then got all their matches recorded as losses, because the TO didnt take them from the bracket/pool, and this was only noticed after the tournament was already uploaded on ssbpd
Yeah just let us know, and we'll clean it up

@Ambix
I never saw that $20... :p

:phone:

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
okay.
the Pool matches of "Phex" and "Jon_***" at Berlin Calling were not played but forfeited.
Would be nice for them if you'd delete them :)

btw, how is it all coming along? still tons of work, or is the database slowly becoming stable? :D

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Someone uploaded incomplete results to Grev XVII. It only has placings out to top-5. Who uploaded this and where can I find the results?

kd-

Smash Lord
Now is a great opportunity for you to pick a more unique gamertag and use it. Let us know what you choose, and may the force be with you.
Not sure if you call this unique per say, but can you change Chad and Chad-mw to kd? Without the question mark of course. The region is Michigan.

Edit: also as before, the Chad that participated in the WinterGamesFest tournament is not me.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Could you add a European / USA or NA or ranking as well? I find it odd that all the states/countries are present, but there's no simple way to compare them, apart from manually selecting every single one.
You can tab down to the boxes and just start spamming Tab, Space, Tab, Space... lol

Mahie

Smash Lord
You can tab down to the boxes and just start spamming Tab, Space, Tab, Space... lol
For the US, perhaps, for Europe not quite, given the fact the countries are in two parts, and then you still need to remove Israel... lol.

Top Bottom