• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Alright you've got me there. But WHY would they get more than Nintendo's primary series? What makes Pokemon more important than their MASCOTS series?
Probably the fact that Pokemon has far more viable characters to offer and that it's a close runner up? I can see Pokemon catching and overtaking Mario in the near future, the sales are close and the Pokemon franchise isn't that old yet.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Probably the fact that Pokemon has far more viable characters to offer and that it's a close runner up? I can see Pokemon catching and overtaking Mario in the near future, the sales are close and the Pokemon franchise isn't that old yet.
I wouldn't say that pokemon has more viable characters. Counting any pokemon as a viable character would be like counting a goomba as viable for a Mario series rep.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I wouldn't say that pokemon has more viable characters. Counting any pokemon as a viable character would be like counting a goomba as viable for a Mario series rep.

yes but if the creators are thinking "viable for smash" little side chars. don't count this also applies to pokemon
but with pokemon having more starters/lovable characters you'd just think pokemon would be more viable

jokey665

Smash Ace
A goomba has like 3 moves max, and that's if you let it have a spike and wings. Most pokemon have movelists of dozens of moves to choose from.

Yoshi52

Smash Cadet
No. Means bring back melee's engine. Captain Falcon hardly changed, but the game did. It's like taking a pig and telling it to fight a dragon on a mountain.
I'm back here to say, "I've recently played Melee again to test out some things. And I've found out that Melee's and Brawl's engines are almost the same. Melee seems faster because the animations were faster, and characters could drop quicker. But, is that really a good thing? The controls seemed a lot more clunkier than Brawl's, mainly because of how most of the animations didn't have those frames that let you move while still in another animation other than the standing stance. I forgot what they were called, but Melee seemed to have less of those frames in its animations, making the controls seem clunky. Basically, Brawl's engine is better, IMO, so I'd want Smash 4 to have a similar engine to Brawl's."

Now that I've said that, someone's gonna say something about it, and not a single person will agree. They never agree... Well, with me that is. :-\

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon may have the most number of viable characters, since they make characters out of the random monsters in the game (Which there are over 400 of them...)

But if anything, Mario has the second most number of viable characters...most of them actually have personalities as well.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
A goomba has like 3 moves max, and that's if you let it have a spike and wings. Most pokemon have movelists of dozens of moves to choose from.
First of all, multiple Goomba move sets have been made in the Make Your Move thread, so it can certainly be made into a playable character (not that I would want it)

Second, the number of moves to choose from doesn't seem to matter much to who gets in, considering Toon Link has tons of unique material and yet he still ends up as a clone.

Building upon number two, weren't Smash Bros reps supposedly chosen by importance to series/popularity and not move set potential? That's why I made the Goomba comparison, most pokemon serve no real purpose in the games except as generic enemies. I guess a legendary or a new pokemon trainer could get in, but other than that, there aren't really any choices for a new pokemon rep. Waluigi and Daisy may not be incredably major characters in the Mario series, but they're at least more defined and important than Pidgey #13774

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'm back here to say, "I've recently played Melee again to test out some things. And I've found out that Melee's and Brawl's engines are almost the same. Melee seems faster because the animations were faster, and characters could drop quicker. But, is that really a good thing? The controls seemed a lot more clunkier than Brawl's, mainly because of how most of the animations didn't have those frames that let you move while still in another animation other than the standing stance. I forgot what they were called, but Melee seemed to have less of those frames in its animations, making the controls seem clunky. Basically, Brawl's engine is better, IMO, so I'd want Smash 4 to have a similar engine to Brawl's."

Now that I've said that, someone's gonna say something about it, and not a single person will agree. They never agree... Well, with me that is. :-\
Hey. I agree with you. Brawl = Melee + Defense. The only reason people can play gay and get around stuff they couldn't in Melee is because Melee's defensive options were flawed. Brawl fixes these defensive options so people can't play offensively anymore. What needs to be done is a balance of good offense and good defense.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace

Thank you. I'm getting sick of people who keep saying Melee is more competitive than Brawl and is therefore better.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
mario and pokeom are both popular they could get the same amount of reps

SOHNIC 93

Smash Rookie
My Wish list:
1) Make Goemon and Ebisumaru new characters (And please if they put Goemon in don't use the PSone model use the NINTENDO 64 one small and not trying to look "super cool")
2) Give Sonic a better moveset, Model him around the classic Sonic the hedgehog 1 and 2, and change his Down A kick to a spike without thrust to the floor or potentially " Teh Abyss".
3) Put in Ristar ( SEGA character )
4) Make the Online gameplay better with rankings and leader boards and groupes/clans

Thats it for now! : )

PS: Whats reps? I'm new to this site.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
i think that soinc should get more reps because HE IS IN THE GAME. Even if he is 3rd party, he is still reping a game. Why cant they get more?

majora_787

Smash Hero
1. It has been stated that one character is equal to one moveset, and vice versa. So Mario has 4, and Pokemon has 6. Even if they brought in Geno or Paper Mario *shudders* ... Well, Pokemon is the leader in reps and will most likely stay there.

Also, reps are characters.

2. I don't think Paper Mario SHOULD be thrown in, but if importance goes before anything, then he gets in before Geno... Paper Mario with Mario has well over a 50% chance of turning out like Toon Link and Link.

3. I think the 3rd party HEROES are enough. We don't need to fill the roster with Knuckles, Tails, Gray Fox, Liquid Snake, Guts Man, etc. Just leave it at what we have, with the probable future addition Megaman and the hopefully NOT future addition, Bomberman.

4. By the logic I'm reading, Paper Mario will get in over Geno. Leon will get in over Krystal. Samurai Goroh and Ridley will be the next (and probably only.....sadly enough...) reps for F-Zero and Metroid.

Metroid and StarFox need some stage variations, for sure. I wouldn't mind fighting in Bryyo, near the anti-air turrets...or on the walkways over Zoness (SF Assault).

So...any arguments or additions?

"yea, krystal > leon / paper mario > geno" is neither an argument nor an addition. It's being an idiot.

EDIT: Ouch...geeze...long post...

justaway12

Smash Master
:goomba: I do think Bowser jr. would have a better chance he does have a lot of importance to the seris. :goomba:

:goomba: He has been in three Mario games and recently been very important in games. :goomba:

:goomba: But I do think Paper Mario has a very good chance.... unfortunatly I think Mario is running out of very important reps...but I probably forgot about a lot of them :goomba:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, he was secondary antagonist in SMS and a reocurring boss in NSMB...so I guess he's tied with Paper Mario. Depends on wether nintendo wants a clone or a second villain.

EDIT: People have told you about the font style you type with, right?

justaway12

Smash Master
Well, he was secondary antagonist in SMS and a reocurring boss in NSMB...so I guess he's tied with Paper Mario. Depends on wether nintendo wants a clone or a second villain.

EDIT: People have told you about the font style you type with, right?

:goomba: You forgot about Super Mario Galaxy but yea I also don't think Paper Mario can be a clone... :goomba:

:goomba: ....and my font?.... yes....just go back a couple of pages (last post of 1051 to 1052). :goomba:

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario CAN be a clone, doesn't mean he will. But toon link had as much possibility to be original so Paper mario has a small chance at being original. And justaway, I personally like your font, don't go to boring font like the rest of us.

Also i still think it's Krystal>Leon. I'm not a Krystal fan but i wouldn't mind her being in. It seems to go main character (mario & link & fox) sidekick (luigi & falco) villain (Bowser, Ganon, WOlf) then leading girl (Peach, Zelda, Krystal) I don't think that Leon has that much popularity and importance. It's mainly Krystal or don't add another character. I'm not sure if Star Fox will even get another character.

And we only need 3rd party heroes, I agree with that. I do want bomberman though.

justaway12

Smash Master
Paper Mario CAN be a clone, doesn't mean he will. But toon link had as much possibility to be original so Paper mario has a small chance at being original. And justaway, I personally like your font, don't go to boring font like the rest of us.

Also i still think it's Krystal>Leon. I'm not a Krystal fan but i wouldn't mind her being in. It seems to go main character (mario & link & fox) sidekick (luigi & falco) villain (Bowser, Ganon, WOlf) then leading girl (Peach, Zelda, Krystal) I don't think that Leon has that much popularity and importance. It's mainly Krystal or don't add another character. I'm not sure if Star Fox will even get another character.

And we only need 3rd party heroes, I agree with that. I do want bomberman though.
:goomba: I meant "wil" l and I did forget about Toon Link or Ganondorf they could have been so much more original...still weren't clones but I know what you mean...:goomba:

:goomba: and don't worry i'm not going to get a boring font. :goomba:

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Paper Mario CAN be a clone, doesn't mean he will. But toon link had as much possibility to be original so Paper mario has a small chance at being original.
If Paper Mario becomes a clone, I will be very angry, because he can't use half of the moves that normal Mario can.

Or do you mean a clone of any character? Maybe of Game and Watch- but I hope not.

And Star Fox barely deserves the three reps it has.

justaway12

Smash Master
:goomba: IF Sonic is going to get ANY character (which I doubt) it will most probably be Tails. :goomba:

:goomba: Misty is in the Anime not the game so she isn't getting in....any anime/cartoon character will never get in smash. :goomba:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
:goomba: Misty is in the Anime not the game so she isn't getting in....any anime/cartoon character will never get in smash. :goomba:
Sorry, I would have to disagree. Remember that Misty is a Gym Leader from Pokemon Green/Red/Blue and Fire Red/Leaf Green. And she's one of the most popular gym leaders in Pokemon, she was even a trophy on Melee.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
umm... wasnt sonic a cartoon character? captain falcon was like an anime? pokemon was an anime. kirby was a cartoon... and yeah etc.
Well, one of the prerequisites for a character to be in Smash is that he/she/it has to have originated in a videogame (ROB is arguably the exception to this). Sonic, Capt. Falcon, and Kirby all have their own cartoons/anime, but those characters originated in their videogame series.

New topic. I decided to play Brawl again after about three weeks of Street Fighter IV. Maybe it's that SF4 was a fresh breath of air, but I can't seem to want to play Brawl anymore. It's too slow and I can't combo. Of course, this is probably the aforementioned SF4 talking as I got to do that a lot and it felt great.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really have to agree with some of the people around here. SSB4 needs to have hitstun, canceling, combos (which come from the former two), faster speed, and just a lot more depth.

SOHNIC 93

Smash Rookie
i think that soinc should get more reps because HE IS IN THE GAME. Even if he is 3rd party, he is still reping a game. Why cant they get more?
Yeah sure he can Sega should allow Nintendo to use Ristar and Knights they would be good editions to the game.

~Goemon FTW!!!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Since when is Sonic related to Ristar? That game just featured in mega collection, and Nights is just another SEGA character who cameos occasionally in Sonic games. Sonic is his own game, those two aren't involved.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since when is Sonic related to Ristar? That game just featured in mega collection, and Nights is just another SEGA character who cameos occasionally in Sonic games. Sonic is his own game, those two aren't involved.
Technically he just mentioned SEGA, not Sonic.

I think other SEGA characters would be a better addition than more Sonic characters

Tedius Zanarukando

Smash Apprentice
I think Super Smash Bros. 4 should have at least 48 characters in the main roster. I think there should be no cutoff lines concerning a number of characters in a particular franchise if downloadable content were to be implemented. If they think 10 playable Pokémon or Pokémon trainers is good, so be it. Downloadable characters are not part of the main roster, and they can put in as many downloadable characters as they want.

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I would have to disagree. Remember that Misty is a Gym Leader from Pokemon Green/Red/Blue and Fire Red/Leaf Green. And she's one of the most popular gym leaders in Pokemon, she was even a trophy on Melee.
exactly :D.

and no skullkid wouldn't be overkill, though i really don't care about minda anymore.
skullkid would be a great addition.
...i dunno, knuckles is my faveorite sonic character, even better than sonic.
i still hope he gets in. besides, with sonic in the game, if they are making another smash bros, people would expect another sonic character anyways.

as im guessing since no one said anything, rayman and megaman are fine?

and, although i've said this before, and then said it would never happen, my faveorie (although they have many pokemon already) pokemon (other than misty) they should add in would be gengar :D.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I can see Misty getting in... being a pokemon trainer character. (Or hell, a new costume LOL)

if I want anything from Pokemon i want: Mewtwo back, and Gardevoir <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom