• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
You can turn off the gimmick's in that game as well as Strikers Charged gimmick's. You can turn off the Power Shot's as well. Did you forget that?
Power Tennis maybe, but Strikers Charged was definitely one of their more competitive games on Nintendo's market. Too bad that it's Wifi disconnecting matches were a terrible idea, but it had some seriously good stuff.

The only thing was, there were broken concepts to it, where defensive captains could lob it over the goalies head for a goal during the opening kickoff, and we mustn't forget about Boo sneaking past the goalie, at least with Dry Bones, you had to charge the ball to sneak into the goal box.

But enough about that, and more about our hopefuls for the next installment. We will try as hard as we can to try to make the game to be the most competitive it can possibly be, but with a lower ceiling for ones metagame, there is only so much that a community can do to make a game competitive. It's all about the fixin's in the game, what mindset and what precautions will be taken during the establishment of SSB4. Maybe a lack of sales of Brawl after its release will entice them, heck, Melee kept on selling for years after it had been first released. We can only help that this will help, maybe.
...Nintendo purposely got rid of snaking and other advanced techniques In Mario Kart Wii for the sole purpose of making it casual. You can turn off items in Smash, but does that really make it's competitive future a success?
This is all too true.

When I first played Mario Kart Wii, I was staggered to see how different it was from it's former companion on the DS. So, I practiced, and practiced, and practiced. However, the game was so dumbed down, that I chose not to play it altogether, and it's still collecting dust over on my wooden desk, along with Madden 08, Super Mario Galaxy, and the ******** Ravin' Rabbids games that my brother got for his birthday. I didn't even know that there was a term for Snaking when I first used it, I was surprised when my brother johned about me using the tech in matches with other family members. With the economic slump and crappy competitive mindset from Nintendo, I'm finding myself purchase less games as time goes on...

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
The next Smash should have special holiday event patches, if only online and temporary (for like 3 days, the day before the holiday, the actual day, and the day after).

For Christmas your menus would look christmas themed and the characters would wear santa hats or sumthin. and the stages would be decorated.

cool, no? or maybe just lame...?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah. Both Sakurai and Nintendo prefer to make casual games.

As long as Nintendo/Sakurai control Smash Bros, we can continue to see the competitive potential fall lower and lower until it's like playing Mario Kart tournaments.

Of course, this is what I have seen, so it's my opinion.
And do you know WHY?

It's the same reason most people are fed up with fighting games. They cater to the competitive crowd. Smash Bros just swooped in and snatched up all those fans who were tired of overly complex games. All Brawl did was fix Melee's mistakes (yes, they were mistakes). Take the ledge, for instance. It wasn't fun that you couldn't recover because you either missed the ledge by an inch or you were facing the wrong way. That is frustrating. So they made it easier for the player.

This is why the franchises has sold over 19million games with only 3 games. This is more then Street Fighter, which is a competitive game (this is a rough number though). The franchise only had 4 games break 1million.

Nintendo and Sakurai are doing the right thing. You can tell because only Smash Boards complains about the game.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
And do you know WHY?

It's the same reason most people are fed up with fighting games. They cater to the competitive crowd. Smash Bros just swooped in and snatched up all those fans who were tired of overly complex games. All Brawl did was fix Melee's mistakes (yes, they were mistakes). Take the ledge, for instance. It wasn't fun that you couldn't recover because you either missed the ledge by an inch or you were facing the wrong way. That is frustrating. So they made it easier for the player.

This is why the franchises has sold over 19million games with only 3 games. This is more then Street Fighter, which is a competitive game (this is a rough number though). The franchise only had 4 games break 1million.

Nintendo and Sakurai are doing the right thing. You can tell because only Smash Boards complains about the game.
Ah, but would Brawl not have been better with a little bit more speed and hitstun? I not talking Melee level speed or 64 level hitstun, but the slow pace of brawl and the lack of combos can make the game lag a bit. It makes me wish I was around back during the melee days.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
They could of kept in the wavedash. Just make it so that you don't have to short hop and imput the commands in 0.0000025 miliseconds. A wavedash with a much more reasonable input frame would of been nice.

I agree with the ledges though, because it's stupid that you can't get back on the ledge facing away.

Shadow's Wrath

Smash Rookie
I'm unsure if this idea was already posted....

It prolly was, seeing how big this thread is.

Idea: Have every character's moveset fully customizable. What I mean by this is, Mario's Down-B move could be swapped with his Aerial-Down-A, thus making him more like Luigi.

This could also be implimented into the Name system, having names store the swapped moves as well as the swapped controls. The difference between this idea and what we currently have for Brawl is the absence of directional input when we modify our controls.

^Honestly, when I heard Brawl has customizable controls, I was expecting THIS, not mere button-swapping. *sigh* We can dream, can't we?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
^Honestly, when I heard Brawl has customizable controls, I was expecting THIS, not mere button-swapping. *sigh* We can dream, can't we?
Umm, what were you expecting? The fact that you want to jump with the taunt button? Or the fact that you can use two controls in one control? I don't think Smash Bros. work like that since.... ever if you mean that. I'm suprised that I just found someone that thought Brawl has like fifty moves for each chracter to have custom control's like that?

Yoshi52

Smash Cadet
Ah, but would Brawl not have been better with a little bit more speed and hitstun? I not talking Melee level speed or 64 level hitstun, but the slow pace of brawl and the lack of combos can make the game lag a bit. It makes me wish I was around back during the melee days.
Why would it need more speed and hitstun? The speed is just fine. I don't see anything wrong with it, except for the Stopwatch's script... And having more hitstun would make the game go slower, wouldn't it? Also, lack of combos? You mustn't be trying very hard, because I'm not even all that experienced at Brawl, yet I can string together 6 different moves with ease(which is a pretty good accomplishment for me...).

How is the SSE good compared to platformers such as SMB1, SMB2, the US SMB2 that's a Doki Doki Panic hack, SMB3, SML, SML2, the DKC trilogy, Genesis Sonic games, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Super Mario Galaxy, the Sonic Advance games, and Donkey Kong 64? Heck, even games that are based off of TV shows are better than the SSE.

Calling the SSE better than a piece of poop is overrating it.
How is SSE good compared to classic platformers? Well, its levels are enjoyable, it has well hidden bonus item boxes, and has caused me to spend more than 150 hours on it. I'm not saying SSE's better than the Mario games, Sonic games or any other games. I'm saying that SSE is good for what it is.

On the subject on SSE:

- SSB4 should have a "Create Your Own Story Mode" feature. It could be done if they put their mind to it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
SkylerOcon;6194757[B said:
]Ah, but would Brawl not have been better with a little bit more speed and hitstun?[/B] I not talking Melee level speed or 64 level hitstun, but the slow pace of brawl and the lack of combos can make the game lag a bit. It makes me wish I was around back during the melee days.
No.
Because the only people who care about combos are (guess who) competitive players, and they don't matter.

Brawl is better then Melee as it improves on melee's formula. Let's be honest here, Smash is a game about knocking people away. It's hard to do combos when your opponent goes farther way. It's also counter productive. Why would a game like Smash need combos? If the object is to knock your foes away, then why would you want to keep them in a combo. The further they are away, the better you are right? Combos work in other fighting games because you typically are playing in a small field with only an X-axis to walk on (or the occasional Y if it's 3D).

In fact, read this
In the original Super Smash Bros., hitstun was extremely high. This meant that this game had the most extreme and arguably best combos, allowing almost every character to have a 0-death combo.

In Melee, hitstun was lowered but wasn't lowered so much that it didn't allow for any combos, because it still allowed for several, such as the Ken combo. The Top, High and Middle tiers all operated mostly on combo ability.

In Brawl, hitstun was severely lowered, something that the game is often criticized for. The opponent suffers very little stun after being hit and air dodging decreases it even further, meaning that the game has hardly any combos. Some exceptions are Peach, Kirby and Meta Knight, who all have fast enough moves (or a select few, in Peach's case) to combo fairly well, up to over 70% in some cases.

Wow, isn't it strange that each game has less and less hitstun. Why? Because it's less frustrating. It is not fun if you can't get out of an attack? Well, for competitive players yes. They wasn't to keep the player in constant strings of attacks because they find that fun. Sakurai, being the genius he is, realized that the other player probably wasn't having fun. So, he made it where the other player could also have fun by being able to escape from attacks and be able to counter attack. No one likes being stuck in an attack until you have 80% damage. Sure, the player administering the damage is having fun, but not the other player.

It surprises me that no one though that Sakurai would make the game easier despite he made Kirby with the whole premise of making the game easy.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
No.
Because the only people who care about combos are (guess who) competitive players, and they don't matter.
Actually, a lot of people care about combos. They are fun to pull off. I don't understand why you say competitive players don't matter, because we make up the most dedicated part of the smash fanbase. While Sakurai may not like competitive playing, he cannot deny our existence.

Brawl is better then Melee as it improves on melee's formula. Let's be honest here, Smash is a game about knocking people away. It's hard to do combos when your opponent goes farther way.
No duh. The point of combos are to rack up your opponents damage to a high enough point to be able to knock your opponent away. Combos are for damage racking, and very rarely do they lead into a kill (though this can happen).

It's also counter productive. Why would a game like Smash need combos? If the object is to knock your foes away, then why would you want to keep them in a combo.
To get them to a percent high enough so that I can knock them back far enough to kill them with any killing attack I want easily. It's not counter-productive like you think, it adds to what the game is about -- getting ring-outs.

The further they are away, the better you are right? Combos work in other fighting games because you typically are playing in a small field with only an X-axis to walk on (or the occasional Y if it's 3D).
Combos work good in smash also so that you can kill easier. It's not necessarily better for an opponent to be farther away. Think about a laser happy Fox against a Donkey Kong. DK wants to go up and inside Fox's range so that he can't laser camp him and so Fox can rack damage and knock Fox away. Also, you can't knock your opponents away if you're far away.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Actually, a lot of people care about combos. They are fun to pull off. I don't understand why you say competitive players don't matter, because we make up the most dedicated part of the smash fanbase. While Sakurai may not like competitive playing, he cannot deny our existence.
Yet I never hear a peep out of anyone who plays Smash about combos. The only people who do are competitive players.

The reason competitive players don't matter is because they make up the smallest dedicated part of the smash fanbase. They are also the most whiny too. Most talk from competitive Smash players is disdain for Brawl because it lacks their values. The values the game needs to have are not those the competitive players want. Thus, they are ignored. Well, not ignored, but when both proposal are on the table 99% of the time the competitive offer will lose.

I think the point has been missed greatly so less step back.

Smash is not about combos. Smash is about knocking foes away. Damage goes up, foe goes farther. Look at other fighting games and you'll see that combos work because the foe doesn't go very far and stays where you want them. Smash is about getting foes away from you. It's about sending them out of the ring.

Now, what you did was sit there and say why competitive players want combos. Go back and look at what you said. All of it was one sided. It was focused on the attacking player. What about the defending player? Would he/she have fun if he/she could not escape from the onslaught. Wouldn't it be more fun if they could fight back............

And PRESTO. There is Brawl in a nut shell. Your problem is you only adapted your values rather then understand the other side. You probably should. The other side tends to win more arguments in game design.

Smash has worked because it retains fun. It is fun for everyone. Everyone has a shot and the game becomes forgiving. That means that the player can enjoy him/herself without the worry of a skill gap. This is what is driving fun. Why else has Smash shored while games like vs Capcom have not seen similar success.

chansen

Smash Lord
Melee engine, infinite costumes (perhaps a costume editor???)

Online trash talk (I know it aint possible yet, but who knows, we got a waiting time of about 7 years, give or take a few).

I also tried to read into smashchus and skylerocons comments, but alas, they have very similar points, its just that their values lie in different places.

Who wants doc back?

Roihu

Smash Ace
Does that really matter?
All that matters is the biggest part of the buyers.
That would be the casuals.
How many people have registered in this forum?
Nearly a hundred and thirty eight thousand people (I dunno why I didn't just put the numbers).
How many people bought Brawl? Around 7.5 million.
That is not counting how many people left this forum, how many people stayed, yet only for Melee and didn't buy Brawl, and not counting the people that aren't even in this forum for SSB, and not counting spammers.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
I have been thinking about this for a while now. The first thing to do is get Sakurai off of the Smash Bros projects. You need to get someone in who can think of the competitive scene and the casual scene. Someone who is creative and will make an epic game. Someone who will keep to their word.

The most obvious fixes are no more clones. That means a lot of work is going to be needed for Fox, Falco, and Wolf. I don't even know why Gannon is a clone. I am not sure how to fix the space animals but I have some ideas for Gannondorf.

Usmash - Captain Falcons Usmash but more powerful like it was in melee.
Dair - The stomp should stay with Gannon

b- His dark energy orbs from Ocarania of Time. The more you charge it the more that shoot out.
down b - Silver spears fall from above Gannon and land next to him on either side. Somewhat like DK's down B.
side b- He thrust across the stage with his sword out. Like Ike's except, he doesn't have to charge it and he doesn't swing the sword he just runs into his foe.

Uair - He thrust his sword into the air
fair - He swings his sword in front of him. The middle spikes
bair - Like Captain Falcon's bair except add a sword to it.

Dsmash - Gannon slams his sword into the ground causing a small shockwave on both sides of him. Like Charizards D-smash
Fsmash - Could be another sword smash or just a really strong punch

So that is one Clone out of the way.

Story mode: One of the main issues with Story mode was that it was pretty repetitive. You have a wide list of game characters many of which came from side scrollers. Utilize their different level style then just walk around fight enemies reach the end. Through in some jumping, platforming, puzzles, speed runs. I bet you could even get away with some Strategy Role playing levels.

I came up with an idea for a story. It starts out with your villains getting trounced by their respective arch rival and turned into a trophy. Eggman and Master hand round up the villains and create a little alliance between them all. Eggman has hatched a plan that require collecting energy sources in order to power his new secret weapon that will allow the villains to rule their respective worlds. The robot also has the ability to utilize moves from other fighters. So as a side mission the villains are to collect the DNA of all the heroes. In the end the crystal shards, chaos emeralds, powerstars, and triforce of power are rounded up. The robot, I figure would look something like Emerl but maybe a bit more generic, thus gains this immense power and the ability to fight like anyone of the playable characters. Gannondorf and Bowser transfrom into Gannon and Giga bowser. The heroes defeat them. Followed by a fight with Master hand who has used the energy source to summon crazy hand to help him. The robot eventually goes crazy during eggman's repairs after its initial defeat. Everyone has to team up to stop it. The final bout would pay some fan servie to the Mario and Sonic fans as the two would have to team up and go into supercharged forms to fight the robot.

Basically the story mode whould be more varied and have more boss fights.

Classic mode, touch the platfrom and race to the finish would return. All star would once again end with fighting forty Mr. Game and Watch. You would fight the fighting team before facing off with Masterhand again. Score will once again be brought back.

Training mode will now give you more options. You can set the computer to do specific action such as specific attacks. This way you can test thoroughly individual moves and tactics.

I was thinking that Smash balls would be turned into specials. You would build up your special meter based on rewards for certain actions. Teching the ground, wall teching, meteor cancelling, power sheilding, spot dodging an attack. Maybe makes this feature able to be turned off. I think it would add a different dimension to the game. You could no longer spam because your opponent could build up their special. You would have to play a more cautious and less noobish game.

As far as the physics go, I would like to have the game in between Melee and Brawl. Faster than brawl but not as fast as Melee. Not as floaty as brawl either.

Random tripping would be taken out but forcing your opponent to trip by using something like your down tilts will stay in and so will footstool jumps.

I figure the game will be called Super Smash brothers Royale.
look all of the clones are fine idk too much they fixed it in melee (lucas and TL are not clones)
but i want mewtwo back

Roihu

Smash Ace
Didn't Sakurai keep his word?
He said he wanted to eradicate the competitive scene...
He did an okay job. Not perfect, but okay.

Smady

Smash Master
Didn't Sakurai keep his word?
He said he wanted to eradicate the competitive scene...
He did an okay job. Not perfect, but okay.
It's a misunderstanding that some think the casuals benefitted at all from the dumbing down that Brawl experienced - no one wanted the changes that Sakurai implemented.

ATs or GTFO.

Osi

Smash Ace
Seeing as how ssb4 will likely be a game using brawl's same engine... The wii is not going anywhere soon. It has a ridiculous install base, and nintendo has no need to develop more hardware outside of wii addons (not counting portables of course).

I'd like to see ssb4 with:

Most the brawl+ codes built in (as at least options if needed)
Megaman
Krystal
Custom character coloring
A option to turn off stage hazards
Most variety in the stage editor
Better online play

I was a casual at one time too, and I love the combos/ATs... melee was a deeper game. I didn't care about tourneys, I just wanted to play versus friends on a deep game, and that's why I picked up 64/melee. I quit brawl within a few months after release... as did all my casual friends within the same time frame(we came back only for brawl+).

You want the reason brawl is a hit? It's called having a 15 million unit new console base with only 3 hits at the time of your release. Not a big tasks to be a hit without competition on your hardware.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Read more than one paragraph of my post and I will read more than one paragraph of yours.
I did. You can tell from my response I did.

Just because I didn't quote the whole thing doesn't mean I neglected to read your post. Had you read my post you'd see what I mention dealt with what you said. I could of cited examples, but why do that. Your ideas were one sided.

To get them to a percent high enough so that I can knock them back far enough to kill them with any killing attack I want easily. It's not counter-productive like you think, it adds to what the game is about -- getting ring-outs.
Like this one./ Notice on how the focus is on the attacking player (ironically, you). You are claiming combos make the game better, and you imply it makes it better for the one doing the combos. But I might also infer that the other player might not have fun if he/she was stuck in a long combo. So, let's take them out (essentially. There are still combos in Brawl but competitive players seem to think the opposite for some reason, probably because they aren't as big and extravagant like Melee's). Sakurai has lowered the hitstun for each game. Why? For he follows the same logic. Why else would it go away if not to help the other player have fun as well. Boost your fun rating from 50% to 100%.

There. I "read" your post, but if you read mine, I wouldn't have to jump though all these hoops.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The new moon is upon us....​

Darkrai joins the fray!

Introduction

Character Selection Sound:

Entrance: A shadowy hole appears on the ground and Darkrai slowly rises from it.

Idle Animation: Darkrai floats above the ground (though not high enough to evade Down Tilts) as the wispy-looking portions of his body wave around, as if blown by wind. Darkrai looks around suspiciously while moving its single visible eye. Occasionally, it will cross, and then uncross its arms.

Crouching Animation: Darkrai's entire body, except for its head, sinks into the ground. If Darkrai crouches on a platform, you'll see that its body doesn't appear underneath it! How can this be? Darkrai's crouching height is roughly twice that of Kirby's.

Walking Animation: Darkrai floats along the ground slowly as an afterimage of itself trails behind.

Dashing Animation: Darkrai leans forward while putting its arms at its sides and floats more quickly, leaving a trail of wispy black smoke behind itself.

Size: While floating, Darkrai stands at around Captain Falcon's height.

Weight: Darkrai also has around the same weight as Captain Falcon.

Jump: Darkrai's initial jump is above-average, nearly as high as Falco's. It also has four midair jumps of average height.

Walking Speed: Darkrai walks slowly to make his walking-afterimage effect look cooler.

Dashing Speed: Darkrai dashes as quickly as Meta Knight. ?

Special Ability - Bad Dreams: 3% damage every 0.8 seconds

Standard Combo -

Up Tilt -

Forward Tilt -

Down Tilt -

Dash Attack -

Up Smash -

Forward Smash -

Down Smash -

Grab -

Up Throw -

Down Throw - Enter Sandman: Darkrai puts opponent to sleep

Forward Throw -

Back Throw -

Neutral Air -

Up Air -

Down Air -

Forward Air -

Back Air -

B - Dark Void: Creats sleeping radius, lasts two seconds

Up B - Faint Attack:

Side B - Hypnosis: sleeping projectile

Down B -

Final Smash - Cerberus: everyone falls asleep (Bad Dreams active), screen turns black/white, everyone wakes up, Darkrai transforms into smoke monster

Taunts:

Up - Darkrai lets loose an otherworldly laugh.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think each character should have two final smashes.

1. When the character has less than 120%, they will do a super-combo on their target.
2. When the character reaches 120% damage, they will do their ULTIMATE final smash.

I know it would be a horrible idea to some people, but I do think it'd be brilliant.

Supersmasher10310

Smash Cadet
I think each character should have two final smashes.

1. When the character has less than 120%, they will do a super-combo on their target.
2. When the character reaches 120% damage, they will do their ULTIMATE final smash.

I know it would be a horrible idea to some people, but I do think it'd be brilliant.
I can see where you are coming from with that. So when you have about 45% damage you dont die as quickly so your life does not get wasted on a Final Smash such as Super Sonic. Instead you can have a combo attack that does major damage. Good Idea!

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
How is SSE good compared to classic platformers? Well, its levels are enjoyable, it has well hidden bonus item boxes, and has caused me to spend more than 150 hours on it. I'm not saying SSE's better than the Mario games, Sonic games or any other games. I'm saying that SSE is good for what it is.
SSE still took up too much time and effort that could of been used to make more characters and/or polish Wi-Fi. I would rather have Krystal, Ridley, and Megaman as playable characters than the SSE existing and plenty of other people would too. Heck, I would rather play as Goomba and Werewolf Sonic in a Smash game than have another SSE.

- SSB4 should have a "Create Your Own Story Mode" feature. It could be done if they put their mind to it.
That would take up too much time that would be better used to fix Wi-Fi's kinks, add more characters, and improve the stage builder.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can see where you are coming from with that. So when you have about 45% damage you dont die as quickly so your life does not get wasted on a Final Smash such as Super Sonic. Instead you can have a combo attack that does major damage. Good Idea!
Wow, finally someone LIKES that idea. I came up with an example for MOST characters...

Example: Sonic

FS1: Medium power, hard to connect with. Generally, I would suppose it would be a tiny bit easier to hit with Meta Knight's Galaxia Darkness.

FS2: Major damage. No aiming required for the most part. If you have about 150% damage, I think that sounds fair...

But I think there should be a BETTER final smash system than smash balls. I'm fine with one smash at a time, and pity smashes, but I think there SHOULD be like...I dunno, either something that mixes it with the point system or a very long charge.\

Idea 1: Pity Smash
The guy in last place gets killed. Again. Let's say he's playing as Bowser. Suddenly, Giga Bowser jumps out of the respawn platform. If he's in last place, this could catch him up or at least keep him from getting farther behind.

Idea 2: Time or Score
Maybe every two or three knockouts you get a final smash...OR, perhaps a charge time of two minutes? Or maybe both. Half of the matches played usually end at or before two minutes.

And on the SSE note, I agree with you HALFWAY. I am very glad they gave us a BETTER adventure mode. I would rather have the SSE than a boring repetitive Melee adventure mode. But then again, I'd accept Ridley Krystal and Megaman before I'd accepd a long complicated 10 hour storyline with plotholes.

Also, I think make a story would take forever. I'd rather them take the time to have maybe 45-50 characters and have the screen select pose from smash 64. 5-10 characters and programming screen select poses would probably take as long as make a story, if not LESS time.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There are some rather obvious infinites in Brawl (including chaingrabs). Those aren't fun to get stuck in, but they're either a really bad oversight or they were put in intentionally. Either way, what does this tell us about the way the game was meant to be played?

Once again, we're back to talking about Brawl :p
One could argue that these infinites might be ok because anyone can do then (I'm looking more at the paper fan).

Of course, I assume some of them were oversights. They could also assume they were they but left them as most normal players would not have seen them (like DDD's downthrow).

I guess there are a lot of theories.

Yoshi52

Smash Cadet
SSE still took up too much time and effort that could of been used to make more characters and/or polish Wi-Fi. I would rather have Krystal, Ridley, and Megaman as playable characters than the SSE existing and plenty of other people would too. Heck, I would rather play as Goomba and Werewolf Sonic in a Smash game than have another SSE.

That would take up too much time that would be better used to fix Wi-Fi's kinks, add more characters, and improve the stage builder.
They knew which characters were going to be in Brawl in 2006, so the SSE didn't take up time on adding characters. Though, do we know how long it took to make the SSE or Wi-Fi?

Something for SSB4, so I can still be considered as "On Topic":

- They shouldn't make a specific date for SSB4 to come out. That way, they don't have a time limit on it and have time to truly make it the best.

- Maybe Kirby should be able to get two abilities from copying an opponent: Neutral and Side B. I dunno, just a thought.

majora_787

Smash Hero
They knew which characters were going to be in Brawl in 2006, so the SSE didn't take up time on adding characters. Though, do we know how long it took to make the SSE or Wi-Fi?

Something for SSB4, so I can still be considered as "On Topic":

- They shouldn't make a specific date for SSB4 to come out. That way, they don't have a time limit on it and have time to truly make it the best.

- Maybe Kirby should be able to get two abilities from copying an opponent: Neutral and Side B. I dunno, just a thought.
Say they announced it tomorrow, I guess they could reasonably say it would be out in winter of 2010. Better than having to keep pushing it back because they didn't get much time.

The kirby thing is a bit of a stretch...I can see why his B attack only gets him a B attack.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Here's a possibility I've thrown around in my head for the SSE in the next game. The only other fighting games I've played at all are the Soul Calibur games. I wonder if a story mode more like that would work. Essentially, bring back the old Adventure mode, except have it be different for each character, having them play their part in the story only. The more you play, the better idea you have of the overarching story behind it all. Throw in some cut scenes and stuff like that to flesh it out too. And maybe the first level for each character should be heavily based on their own game, as they leave their world and enter the smash one, or something. Just an idea.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Sonic was programmed in 2007. Without the SSE, they could of released it earlier and have pretty much the same results as how Brawl is in our reality. Or they could put in the time to add more playable characters.

I'm positive that Wi-Fi didn't take long to make. The lack of a 1 vs 1 mode means that it probably didn't take very long to make. I'm guessing that it took a maximum of 1 month to make Wi-Fi

Roihu

Smash Ace
Sonic was programmed in 2007. Without the SSE, they could of released it earlier and have pretty much the same results as how Brawl is in our reality. Or they could put in the time to add more playable characters.

I'm positive that Wi-Fi didn't take long to make. The lack of a 1 vs 1 mode means that it probably didn't take very long to make. I'm guessing that it took a maximum of 1 month to make Wi-Fi
Lack of 1v1 probably means they didn't want to implement. I'm pretty sure that 1v1 would take less (And by less, I mean like it's not even a problem) time to program than FFA.
Probably if it didn't have SSE more characters could have gone in... or we could have gotten some other crappy minigame.
Took 1 month to make Wi-Fi? Does that sound stupid to you or is it just me? Wi-Fi relies on servers. Not the actual game itself. It's just that Brawl has some very crappy servers.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The problem with Smash Bros. is that there is a dwindling pool for characters that are actually worthy enough to get in (both first and third-party).

Pretty much the only iconic Nintendo characters that have yet to get in are K. Rool, Ridley, and Little Mac (and possibly Isaac, though his chances really hinge upon whether Camelot decides to make a Golden Sun 3 before Smash 4 is released). Mewtwo and Roy have quite a few fans among the Smash community so they could be added back in. Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Tingle are definitely well-known as well. As for third-party characters, the only ones with significant requests to be in Smash Bros. are Mega Man and Geno (who was simply a one-shot character, and not even the main character of that game). Remember, Sakurai said that both the developer and Nintendo must have interest in the character being included in order to be in (it seems only Mega Man fulfills this). Smash Bros.'s well for character selection is drying up, and with each console generation it is going to be siginificantly more difficult to implement most of the characters that were in the previous Smash Bros. installment. Also, with the increase in the roster number comes the increasing chance for even more inbalances among the character roster.

Do you think Sakurai will eventually decide to dump a large portion of the roster down the road after the roster gets too big (like was the case with King of Fighters series and the Dragon Ball Z fighting games)?

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman
Do you think Sakurai will eventually decide to dump a large portion of the roster down the road after the roster gets too big (like was the case with King of Fighters series and the Dragon Ball Z fighting games)?
Definitley. Even if they had infinite money and time you would eventualy run into technical constraints.

And nintendo doesn't have infinite money and time.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Considering that:

Each Smash game gets newer physics
And each individual character requires a deal of time to design and program

I do think that after some point, the character roster may actual decrease, but not by SSB4. If SSB4 used the exact same engine/physics, all of the character data from Brawl can be carried over to 4, tweaked, and save time for the 9-15 new characters

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Even if Stafy ends up being a clone of, say, Marth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom