• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What about the Idea of Second Costumes holding second movesets?

Like: Biker Wario (Smooth Moves) and Plumber Wario (Wario World/Wario's woods)

or TP/OoT Link (Old Moveset) and SS Link (Skyward Sword Item Moveset)

Does anyone know how much space this would take up? If it was a lot like the same size as a regular character then nevermind. But if it doesn't take up much room I think it would be cool.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Characters don't take up much space. The real concerns are time spent on designing (not much) and balancing (a lot). That plus the general redundancy of several Dr. Mario-esque additions.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The best thing would be just to make costumes just as cosmetic changes. Maybe even include voice changes for certain ones like Peah to Daisy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Characters don't take up much space. The real concerns are time spent on designing (not much) and balancing (a lot). That plus the general redundancy of several Dr. Mario-esque additions.
So adding a few of these characters wouldn't take too much space? Then I don't see what the negative side could be. I mean clones WILL exist in smash, but if we could give Falco or Ganon and Alt. Moveset/costume combo then we have at least fixed it. I just feel like fixing the problem by redoing Ganon's whole moveset will cause uproar, and NOT fixing it will cause uproar.

Simple solution, the way I see it. What do you mean by "Reduntend Dr. Mario-esque characters"?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Generally speaking, people care most about content (IE new characters rather than new movesets). Adding content is held back by the need for balancing and design, the former of which takes up an incredible amount of time.

You're suggesting old characters get secondary movesets like Dr. Mario. People hated the idea of Dr. Mario, and quite a few people are still annoyed with Young/Toon Link. Frankly, it's a good way to waste time without adding anything meaningful.

For the record, no current character needs "fixing," including clone characters. Ganon and Wario could certainly use movesets based on their actual games, but the best solution in this case would be to add new characters to inherit the old ones. Ganon has Black Shadow. Wario... well, his is plain enough that you could make it work on anyone who needs something original to begin with (Mona/Syrup maybe, sans farting).

Now look at Kuma's suggestion:

The best thing would be just to make costumes just as cosmetic changes. Maybe even include voice changes for certain ones like Peach to Daisy.
Balance is easily the most time consuming part of new characters. Alt costume characters take zero time to balance but still qualify as more content. It's a win-win.

mariodk

Smash Ace
SSB4 need to have a mode so you can create char. (textures/models/Movesets) and Stages from your PC like we do it now with SSBB texture/moveset hacks but this time we dont need to hack the Wii or Wii2(whatever the next thing is named) or Replace a Char./Stage just add more and more

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For the record, no current character needs "fixing," including clone characters. Ganon and Wario could certainly use movesets based on their actual games, but the best solution in this case would be to add new characters to inherit the old ones. Ganon has Black Shadow. Wario... well, his is plain enough that you could make it work on anyone who needs something original to begin with (Mona/Syrup maybe, sans farting).
One thing to do would be to pull a Falco: replace some moves with new ones. However, no one's really satisfied because you changed one playstyle either too much or not enough.

Newcomers inheriting older movesets would be interesting to see just because of the reactions from fans, and I'm not sure if it's better or worse than returning characters getting revamps which has happened before in FG history with Jin from Tekken 3 to 4 and Jill Valentine from MvC2 to MvC3.

Balance is easily the most time consuming part of new characters. Alt costume characters take zero time to balance but still qualify as more content. It's a win-win.
Balance is still an issue for returning characters. To put it simple, characters are not going to be balanced by themselves. Balance refers to how the different characters behave in matchups. You can't import the stats from one game into another either be it due to engine changes or mechanics changes. But yeah, newcomers would require more time in balancing because you are trying to define their playstyles.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
One thing to do would be to pull a Falco: replace some moves with new ones. However, no one's really satisfied because you changed one playstyle either too much or not enough.
This is why I suggested second movesets because I can see just this. Half the people not liking the new moveset because they liked the old one, and half the people not liking it because it wasn't "Enough"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You have to consider that even with just making a secondary moveset, you're essentially creating a new moveset. With that in mind, you might as well create an original playstyle. Depending on who you are, you would probably find that more fun anyway.

Riot

Smash Rookie
Well the case DID read the brawl to end them all (if i remember correctly) so i doubt there will be a new one.

If there is:

-Give ganon HIS SWORD! he never uses his bare hands in the games!
-Balance the characters more
-Have link return to mid-tier
-Delete Metaknight, lucario, peach, ness and lucas
-Add Mewtwo, young link, Knuckles, and a new guest character.
-Add Wifi speak compatibility (like what black ops has)

But, i still seriously doubt that there will be a fourth.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Balance is still an issue for returning characters.
Hey, was today Obvious Statement Day?

This is why I suggested second movesets because I can see just this. Half the people not liking the new moveset because they liked the old one, and half the people not liking it because it wasn't "Enough"
There really aren't very many people complaining about such and such being changed outside of their favorites being weaker overall. And you really can't please anyone anyway, so meh.

Having two movesets for several characters definitely won't go over well with most people though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well the case DID read the brawl to end them all (if i remember correctly) so i doubt there will be a new one.
I'm sick of hearing this. It's catchy sloganing. Companies do it.

Do you like money? Probably. I know Nintendo likes money. If you had fans/customers, would you want them to be happy so they'd buy your stuff? I know Nintendo likes happy customers that buy their stuff.

A new Smash game, be it by Sakurai or no, is going to happen eventually UNLESS Nintendo suddenly decides that not only does it not want customers' money, it doesn't want customers.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Finally, with this thread we can stop most of the SSB4 threads in the Brawl Boards.

Anyways, in the next Smash Bros, I will expect to see the Fairy of the Flowers. The one and only Lip.

Some people could dream, "sigh" some people could dream.
THIS
She will be my main no matter in which tier she will be <3

-Give ganon HIS SWORD! he never uses his bare hands in the games!
-Balance the characters more
-Have link return to mid-tier
-Delete Metaknight, lucario, peach, ness and lucas
-Add Mewtwo, young link, Knuckles, and a new guest character.
-Add Wifi speak compatibility (like what black ops has) .
Yes please
No thanks
YES
Forget about it, except for Lucario, he will be deleted
Mewtwo, yes! :3
Maybe

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am a bit infamous for my very lengthy analysis regarding characters in Smash Bros. particularly potential newcomers. Smash 4 most likely will be the last Smash Bros. I will be doing this for. I have been doing roster speculation for the Smash Bros. series prior to even the release of Melee. I feel also that there are few notable Nintendo character left to anticipate for playable inclusion in Smash Bros. As such my interest in the series is waning compared to anticipation for Melee and Brawl. My interest in video games in general though have been waning. Regardless, I want to go out with a bang so to speak, which is why although this will probably be the last Smash Bros. game I speculate for, it will also be the one I write the most extensively about.

I am writing an extensive speculation "Bible" if you will regarding the remaining possible Nintendo newcomers for Smash 4. While there is the possibility that Sakurai could go in a direction in which most of the newcomers are third-party characters, I will instead write it as though it will mostly be from Nintendo's franchises and lesser series. I am hoping that completion will be done by June 2012, which could very well be the date in which Smash 4 is unveiled (E3 2012). However, I think Smash 4 could very well not be unveiled until 2013, until which I could have further time to write this massive work.

Progress has been slow thus far regarding work on it, however, I will start to have much more time regarding progress on it in the second half of this year.

I hope a few of you will anticipate it. I wonder if I am the only one that is becoming fatigued with the series and video games in general. Regardless, I realize that I cannot be writing these massive essays forever, and that a retirement is an inevitability. I am losing much of the passion I had once had in video games, however, I probably will be sticking around for one more console generation (the next one), however, after that I probably won't be buying any more new consoles, and mostly sticking to playing games on older consoles.

I hope this project will show the level of admiration I have had for this series. Thank you for your time in reading this.

Here is a small excerpt:
We find ourselves now in 2011. As with the case in late 2004 (in which speculation for Smash 3 exploded), speculation for Smash 4 has taken off now with Brawl’s third anniversary imminent. However, unlike the case for the speculation for the pre-Melee and pre-Brawl days, most of the newcomer characters for whom fans have been clamoring for in regards are much more obscure than the most popular ones for Melee and Brawl. Aside from Ridley, Toad, Bowser Jr., K. Rool, and Little Mac, much of the characters whom are requested for Smash 4 are either minor side characters or from obscure series (some of which are only stand alone games). There are hardly any more all-stars or iconic Nintendo characters left to place into Smash Bros. This project will serve as a sort of assessment regarding the most popularly requested characters for Smash 4 now that we are probably at the half-way mark for its arrival (considering Brawl arrived six years after the release of Melee, and Smash 4 will probably be the same).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Smash 4 most likely will be the last Smash Bros.
I could agree. Unless they start churning out a lot of series, there isn't much left.

I hope a few of you will anticipate it. I wonder if I am the only one that is becoming fatigued with the series and video games in general. Regardless, I realize that I cannot be writing these massive essays forever, and that a retirement is an inevitability. I am losing much of the passion I had once had in video games, however, I probably will be sticking around for one more console generation (the next one), however, after that I probably won't be buying any more new consoles, and mostly sticking to playing games on older consoles.
I'm the same way. As I've gotten older, I don't play games as much.

I'd like to read it when it's done. Of course, don't worry about hyping it. More likely to not finish it that way. Just writing something really good.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
SSB4 doesn't necesarily need to be the last. As long as there is a good new pitch, or a different console that has something different to offer the system, they could still make another. Then again, they could also go into hibranation and wait for new things to show up, which is what I'm assuming they are doing now.

Also, there's always the possibility of a crossover.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it may be a somewhat old request on Toise's part, but I'll get to work on a Wuuhu island playlist soon. :V

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
SSB4 doesn't necesarily need to be the last. As long as there is a good new pitch, or a different console that has something different to offer the system, they could still make another. Then again, they could also go into hibranation and wait for new things to show up, which is what I'm assuming they are doing now.

Also, there's always the possibility of a crossover.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it may be a somewhat old request on Toise's part, but I'll get to work on a Wuuhu island playlist soon. :V
The problem with a new Smash Brothers is characters. There will be enough to make a fourth, but not a fifth. Considering that the game has 33 unique Nintendo characters plus the ones from Melee, there is not much left. The only way to make a fifth is to make it a huge crossover or dip into really obscure Nintendo characters.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The problem with a new Smash Brothers is characters. There will be enough to make a fourth, but not a fifth. Considering that the game has 33 unique Nintendo characters plus the ones from Melee, there is not much left. The only way to make a fifth is to make it a huge crossover or dip into really obscure Nintendo characters.
See, I think there is a problem with thinking that the game has to be stopped by its characters. Are we reaching the bottom of the barrel? Yes. Does this mean that the series has to end? No it doesn't. People keep on forgetting that there is more to a sequel than just the expanding the roster. If the system were to be revamped for instance, they could take it as a chance to revisit veteran characters, and give them all new movesets. Given a new selling point, like being 3D, or having a overhauled graphic style, and you have its major marketing push that it needs so that it can get through the door without introducing many new characters. Just look at SF4 for instance. Given enough time, and the revamped system/graphics, and it got away with a minimal amount of new comers.

If the same was done, with say Smash 5 or something, then the major focus could be on how the much more popular veteran characters have changed, and less about the more obscure new comers that just got pushed in.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
YES

Oh yeah, and a lack of new characters (or new "good" ones) doesn't mean the end of the series. Surprised people think that. Or maybe I shouldn't be.

I've actually been thinking about the chances for another 40-ish character roster, or even downsizing. Frankly, I assumed no one wanted to even acknowledge that kind of idea, let alone discuss the merits behind it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I personally don't think Smash Bros. is going to end regardless of whether the pool of characters noteworthy to Nintendo dries out. However, what I was meaning to say, was that after Smash 4, there would probably be no more characters left for me to look forward to in regards to playable inclusion, so I will probably stop following the series after Smash 4. Heck, this time around, there is probably less than five characters that I actually am looking forward to for playable inclusion (not including cut Melee characters that I want to see return, Mewtwo and Roy). Brawl pretty much added most of the characters I wanted to see playable. Even if none of these characters are added to Smash 4, I most likely won't be getting Smash 5 (unless it is made for the 3DS or on the same console as the Wii 2), much less do serious speculation on it.

However, I feel Smash 4 could very well be the last one that adds some major Nintendo characters., and even then there is a could chance that most of the Nintendo newcomers for Smash 4 will be "flavor-of-the-month" or main characters for minor series.

Many here have mentioned several possibilities regarding what may be done regarding the roster for Smash 5 (and possibly Smash 4). Here are some of my own ideas on what I think can be done.

1. Focus Primarily on Flavor-of-the-months: Basically, make most of the newcomers a major character from the most recent major release of the series. This also makes these characters ripe for cutting when the next Smash Bros. comes out.

2. Focus on small series and retros: Basically, derive most of the newcomers as the main heroes for minor series with only one or two games and from some notable retro Nintendo titles.

3. Focus Primarily on third-party characters: This might be something that might perhaps be the most attractive choice for Sakurai and Nintendo. Basically, turning Smash Bros. into a universal video game character all-star battle (though with the plurality of character being Nintendo's). However, this might be expensive in order to secure the rights to characters, and really how many third-party characters are as big as those from Nintendo's major series?

4. Downsize the roster and revamp long-time newcomers: I think this is an inevitability. How many fighting games have had a roster beyond 50 characters? Beyond 60? The only one I can think of beyond 60 are games in which the same fighting engine was utilized repeatedly for yearly installments. Also, there is the matter that further increases in technology will make it more difficult to go for quantity. Big budget fighting games for the current generation of consoles (360/PS3) only have about 35-40 playable characters, which makes me feel that Smash 4's roster count will probably only be around 50. I think after Smash 4, there is a good chance that there will be a decrease in playable characters, however, it will mean a revamp on veterans, a more balanced roster, and higher-quality newcomer movesets.

There are many different routes that can be taken in regards to Smash Bros.'s roster.

UberMario

Smash Master

What? There are hundreds of characters that could be used.

I can list more than 30 series [and representatives] that could still be used, but aren't so far:

Retro:
-Balloon Fighter [Balloon Fight] [Nintendo]
-Bubbles [Clu Clu Land] [Nintendo]
-Dr. Wright [SimCity. It could work, Brawl showed that with his AT and "wand".] [Maxis/Nintendo]
-Donbe [Shin Onigashima, JPN-only] [Nintendo]
-Duck Hunt Dog [Duck Hunt] [Nintendo]
-Lip [Panel de Pon, JPN-only] [Nintendo]
-Muddy Mole [Mole Mania. It works better than you'd think.] [Nintendo]
-LoLoLo [Adventures of LoLoLo] [Nintendo/HAL]
-Little Mac [Punch Out!] [Nintendo]
-Mach Rider [Mach Rider] [Nintendo]
-Marina [Mischief Makers, a N64 game by Treasure, the makers of Sin & Punishment, Gunstar Heroes, and Wario World. I didn't list Gunstar Heroes due to it's current, multi-platform staus, even though it had a GBA-only sequal. She can throw back anything she can get her hands on, even if it's a guided missle or a dragon's fist.]
-Mike Jones [StarTropics] [Nintendo]
-Prince Sabure [For the Frog, the Bell Tolls, JPN-Only] [Intelligent Systems]
-Pulseman [Pulseman] [Game Freak]
-ST Falcon [Battle Clash] [Nintendo/Intelligent Systems]
-Sukapon [Joy Mecha Fight, JPN-only] [Nintendo]
-Takamaru [Nazo no Murasame, JPN-only] [Nintendo]

Current:
-Captain Rainbow [Captain Rainbow, JPN-only] [skip Ltd.]
-Chibi-Robo [Chibi-Robo] [skip Ltd.]
-Custom Robo Ray Mk. II [Custom Robo]
-Elite Beat Agent [Elite Beat Agents] [iNiS]
-Hero [Magical Starsign] [Brownie Brown]
-Icarus/The Hero [Glory of Heracles, a game series that recently has been revived for the DS, but beforehand had 5 JPN-ONLY games for the Famicom and Super Famicom] [Paon]
-Hunter [Fossil Fighters, a RPG game similar to Pokemon] [Nintendo/Red Enterainment]
-Isaac OR his son Matthew [Golden Sun] [Camelot]
-Jill [Drill Dozer] [Game Freak]
-Marionation Gear [Chōsōjū Mecha. It got a remix in Brawl.] [Sandlot]
-Mii [Wii] [Nintendo]
-Tom Nook [Animal Crossing] [Nintendo]
-Professor Layton [Professor Layton] [Level-5]
-Pyoro [Birds & Beans, a DSiWare spinoff of WarioWare, it already has two games] [Nintendo]
-Saki Amamiya OR his son Isa Jo [Sin and Punishment] [Treasure]
-Starfy [Legend of Starfy] [Tose]
-Unit [Famicom/Advance Wars] [Intelligent Systems]
-Shu [Blue Dragon, two of the three games are on the DS, only the original isn't] [Mistwalker/Brownie Brown]

2011/Future:
-Elza [Last Story, JPN-only (so far)] [Mistwalker]
-Frøy [The Slashing of Reginleiv, JPN-only (so far)] [Sandlot]
-Shulk [Xenoblade] [Monolith, they've re-imagined the two Xenosaga PS2 games for the Nintendo DS [JPN-Only], and have only developed on Nintendo systems since 2006]
-[Unknown Future Protagonist] [Pandora's Tower] [Monolith(?)]

And that's not even including additional characters for any of these [or current] series or 3rd parties. The additions of Capcom, Sega, and Konami could easily triple this list with potential candidates. For example:

Sega
====
-Akira Yuki [Virtua Fighter] Sega]
-Alex Kidd [Alex Kidd] [Overworks]
-Alis Landale [Phantasy Star] [Sega/Overworks/Sonic Team]
-Axel Stone [Streets of Rage] [Sega/Overworks]
-Billy Hatcher [Billy Hatcher] [Sonic Team]
-Bonanza Bros. [Bonanza Bros] [Sega]
-Bug [Bug!] [Sega/Realtime Associates]
-Epsilon-Eagle [Alien Soldier] [Treasure]
-Headdy [Dynamite Headdy] [Treasure]
-Gilius Thunderhead [Golden Axe] [Sega]
-Gunstar Red/Blue [Gunstar Heroes] [Treasure, see above for why it's more assosciated with Sega than their later titles]
-Ichiro Ogami OR Shinjiro Taiga [Sakura Wars] [Sega]
-Joe Musashi [Shinobi] [Sega]
-Kid Chameleon [Kid Chameleon] [Sega]
-NiGHTS [NiGHTS] [Sonci Team]
-Ristar [Ristar] [Sonic Team]
-Ryo Hazuki [Shenmue] [Sega]
-Sketch Turner [Comix Zone] [Sega]
-ToeJam & Earl [Toe Jam & Earl] [Toe Jam & Earl Productions]
-The Ooze/Dr. Caine [The Ooze] [Sega]
-Wonder Boy [Wonder Boy] [Sega]
-Vyse [Skies of Arcadia] [Overworks]

Konami
======
-Bill Rizer [Contra]
-Frogger [Frogger]
-Goemon [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
-Ken [Survival Kids/Lost in Blue]
-Oolong [Yie Ar Kung Fu]
-Simon Belmont [Castlevania]
-Twinbee [Twinbee]
[A random character] [Silent Hill]

Capcom
======
-Arthur [Ghosts 'n Goblins]
-Amaterasu [Okami]
-Bionic Commando [Bionic Commando]
-Captain COmmando [Captain Commando]
-Dante [Devil May Cry]
-Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
-Jin Saotome [Cyberbots]
-Hayato Kanzaki [Star Gladiator]
-Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
-Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
-Megaman [Megaman]
-Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
-Ryu [Street Fighter]
-SonSon [SonSon]
-Strider Hiryu [Strider]
-Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
[Unknown] [Faxanadu]

Not to mention that Mario, Pokemon, Sonic, and Megaman can still throw a lot of characters on the table, too.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Lalalala~

I'm not done this. I'm just posting this here, since I made it, forgot about it, but still had the list. It is by no means done.

Wuhu Island
Wii Sports Resort Main Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyVEO0Q1WKE
Swordplay Results (Win) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJ0jP_StKo&
Power Cruising Results - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iic0VJK3GRc&
Bingo (Wii Party) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObmcaTuCYxg&
Wii Sports Theme (Brawl version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_0LGOgZjFc
Birdman (Pilotwings 64) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEueGdQ5yQ
Jungle Hopper (Pilotwings 64) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMOZ-QsfUQQ&

First off, I'd like to say that I can't seem to find many...how you say...non-relaxed tracks for this. Esepcially on Pilotwing's part. Maybe I should look into the SNES original a bit more? Also, Wii Sports doesn't seem to have much viable music outside of some of its victory themes, which are surprisingly lengthly.

Anyways, I repeat, I'm not really done with this, and I just had it still hanging around for some reason and instead of saving it, just wanted to post the progress here. I'll try to find some other things to post into it later. V:

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
However, what I was meaning to say, was that after Smash 4, there would probably be no more characters left for me to look forward to in regards to playable inclusion, so I will probably stop following the series after Smash 4.
Hey, you're really boring, you know that?

@Pieman: Wait, relaxed? Pilotwings 64? What's wrong with Gyrocopter, Rocket Belt, and Skydiving? Especially compared to Birdman. And I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy a few of the SNES ones, so long as you dig 16-bit jazz.

I need to not post more links so I can see what you come up with. Man, how come none of you other jerks care about Wuhu Island music? I know you played those games!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I haven't played Wii Sports+ and probably won't. It's just not my kind of game.

@Chronobound
As FF said, are you more interested in speculating over the roster over playing the game. And after seeing what happened with MvC3, speculating what characters get in based on a self-made criteria is absolutely pointless because your reasons are likely to not fall in line with the developers.

@Toise
I'd like to see why you think there are merits to having a reduced roster. I'd say something, but I can't say a while lot until this afternoon.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@ChronoBound: Do you at least enjoy playing Smash Bros. as much as you do speculating about it?
Yes. I really enjoy playing the series. Its probably one of my favorite video games series. Both Melee and Brawl were the games that had by far the most play time of any game on their respective consoles. However, as you know over time people become bored with things. I am also becoming increasing disinterested in video games in general, with only a few series I still like to buy new releases for. Right now, the only two games that I am anticipating for the Wii are Skyward Sword and the recently revived Kirby platformer that was originally on the GameCube. However, I think Nintendo might have a few surprises for the Wii when E3 2011 comes around. Although, I think the Wii's lifespan is close to over, and I think the successor to the Wii will be unveiled in 2012.

However, there are quite a few titles that I am looking forward to on the 3DS.

Next year, will be the first year in which there will be a high chance for Smash 4 to be announced or unveiled. 2013 even higher. I think 2014 will be the latest possible announcement year. So overall, I think Smash 4 will show off in either 2012, 2013, or 2014. I think Sakurai could very well be wanting to do more guest characters for Smash 4, as a result of there being so few all-star Nintendo characters left to place in as playable character. Only time will tell, and we should get an idea on what Sakurai is planning when we finally see the first trailer for Smash 4.

UberMario

Smash Master
as a result of there being so few all-star Nintendo characters left to place in as playable character.
See the list I made about 1st/2nd characters that could still get in. You can't tell me that you've heard only four or less of them before, and if you think those are obscure, would most people even know who Pit, the Ice Climbers, Ness and Lucas, Marth and Roy, or Mr. Game & Watch are today if it weren't for Super Smash Bros.?

Heck, Metroid's revival and Fire Emblem's worldwide status are mostly attributable to their appearances in SSB. Earthbound/Mother received a lot of it's fans from the SSB community, too.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Toise
I'd like to see why you think there are merits to having a reduced roster. I'd say something, but I can't say a while lot until this afternoon.
- More time to focus on other potential aspects of the game (emphasis on potential)
- Centralized cast with greater balance (meh)

That's about it, at least off the top of my head. Pretty much just minimalism to oppose the "bigger, better, faster" train that everyone expects but becomes harder to maintain. The roster can't keep expanding forever, so I'm just wondering aloud how far Smash will take it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The Wii is dead by 2012 TOPS. Nintendo consoles only last I think six years? Since the NES they have been releaseing a new one every certain amount of years. I mean the Wii was released on the GC's release date. (I think... I havent read this article for a while)

@Toise

What if smash went "Rogue" and made a Super Smash Bros New Generation. Discarding everyone but the first twelve and a few others. Leaving tons of new slots open. Would you like SSB to take a SFIII approach to the whole "Only certain amount of slots are possible" arguement? I think smash has a large amount of slots available. Not saying that # of characters is more important than quality, I just don't see any sort of maximum number of characters being hit within the next two games. I just think limitations can add to drastic measures being taken.

I hate my Sara Palin reference. But I'm much too lazy to edit.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If there's one thing about limitations, it's this: It encourages creativity. Did you know that Mario's head design and Samus' Ice Beam in particular were born from technical limitations?

I think it'd be interesting if the series were to have a reboot. It wouldn't be well received obviously, but I'd like to see that a reduced roster would emphasize the gameplay more and adding more fanservice in that area while being careful on adding any outside of that.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Toise

What if smash went "Rogue" and made a Super Smash Bros New Generation. Discarding everyone but the first twelve and a few others. Leaving tons of new slots open. Would you like SSB to take a SFIII approach to the whole "Only certain amount of slots are possible" arguement? I think smash has a large amount of slots available. Not saying that # of characters is more important than quality, I just don't see any sort of maximum number of characters being hit within the next two games. I just think limitations can add to drastic measures being taken.

I hate my Sara Palin reference. But I'm much too lazy to edit.
Not sure if you're misinterpreting what I'm saying to mean "I hope the next games have smaller rosters" or anything, just "what's the limit?" I personally want to believe there's still quite a bit of room, but character cuts generally forecast otherwise.

Minimalism, at least in my eyes, would be a means for making some future installment unique. If we were getting 60-ish character rosters every Smash game and they suddenly make one with just 15 or so, they'd have a lot of room to try something entirely new. Not saying they need to abandon the growing roster sizes, just taking a break to see what happens.

Kuma's got the right idea for the most part, I should add.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Kuma's got the right idea for the most part, I should add.
Both of you are right really. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. And now that I think about it, my 3DS roster I made a while back did just that thing. Sliced the roster down 3/4ths of the characters and went from the ground up.

So nevermind. I like that idea. How did fans like SFIII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom