• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Someone brought this up earlier, I think smash is fan-service. . . to Sakurai. I feel like he doesn't truely listen to what the fans have to say. If he did, we would be seeing a lot more of brawls characters being from what fans suggested. He may listen to the fans, to an extent, but it he doesn't listen enough. I feel like what he does when he reads peoples ideas is, Okay these people brought up Krystal, Isaac, 3rd. Gen Pokemon Trainer, Starfy, Meta Knight, and Ridley. He then proceeds to pick characters He knows. Doing Himself Fan service. Not the actual fans. If he would expand the polls to an english speaking site, a japanese speaking site, and a few more languages from countries that buy SSB series, he would get a more accurate roster/Idea of what we like. (Plus I would love to see what characters Aussie, Euro, and Korean fans like)

I had a dream that SSB4 came with a second disc, with a story mode that played like Marvel Ultimate Allience. The new third party character I remember the new 3rd party character was Roxas from KH. No Sonic or Snake. If I'm psychic, I'm sorry guys. -_-

Edit: Oh, in my dream the physics of smash were insane. Totally different from 64, Melee, and Brawl. Looking back, it looked like the majority of the game would have been played mid-air fighting. Airborn battles. How do you would you like to see SSB4's physics to look?

n88

Smash Lord
I feel like what he does when he reads peoples ideas is, Okay these people brought up Krystal, Isaac, 3rd. Gen Pokemon Trainer, Starfy, Meta Knight, and Ridley. He then proceeds to pick characters He knows. Doing Himself Fan service. Not the actual fans.
Or maybe he tries to target the general populace instead of the five people on the internet who think Random Character X is a good idea. He picks the characters he knows because, well. . . how can he possibly pick a character he doesn't? If he didn't care at all about giving the nod to fans, there wouldn't have been that Melee poll that's constantly analyzed or the Brawl poll various people think they have the results to.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Or maybe he tries to target the general populace instead of the five people on the internet who think Random Character X is a good idea. He picks the characters he knows because, well. . . how can he possibly pick a character he doesn't? If he didn't care at all about giving the nod to fans, there wouldn't have been that Melee poll that's constantly analyzed or the Brawl poll various people think they have the results to.
So you think R.O.B. was more asked then Krystal? Or other characters like Ridley? I think he had his own bias. But if he was truely doing his fanservice he would have researched (Or found staff members who knew these characters) to help him figure it out. I think there are some characters in brawl who probably weren't asked for. But there in, end of story.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
So you think R.O.B. was more asked then Krystal? Or other characters like Ridley? I think he had his own bias. But if he was truely doing his fanservice he would have researched (Or found staff members who knew these characters) to help him figure it out. I think there are some characters in brawl who probably weren't asked for. But there in, end of story.
I think a lot of the characters added in Brawl were pretty popular and wanted by many people (Diddy Kong, Olimar, Meta Knight, Wario, Sonic, etc.). Sure, there were some oddballs, but Sakurai can't read everyone's mind. He had to make some creative decisions as well. On the flipside, people are always going to want more than what they got, and will ignore what they already have for the handful of things they didn't get.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
To be fair, I'd say both Falco and Wolf were more important to the series than Krystal was, and although she may have had a different moveset, it was the best choice really, as I'd rather have another Fox 'clone' than just Fox and Falco. That said, people will argue about her importance in the series, but thats to be expected.

Sakurai seemed to aim for older, more established characters, that whilst not that popular, have been out for a long time. If I remember correctly, only Lucario and Olimar star in games that were made post 2,000, and Lucario's game series started before then.

Whilst I agree that there could have been some better choices in the character list, Sakurai did a pretty good job at covering various important points of Nintendo's history.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
To be fair, I'd say both Falco and Wolf were more important to the series than Krystal was, and although she may have had a different moveset, it was the best choice really, as I'd rather have another Fox 'clone' than just Fox and Falco. That said, people will argue about her importance in the series, but thats to be expected.

Sakurai seemed to aim for older, more established characters, that whilst not that popular, have been out for a long time. If I remember correctly, only Lucario and Olimar star in games that were made post 2,000, and Lucario's game series started before then.

Whilst I agree that there could have been some better choices in the character list, Sakurai did a pretty good job at covering various important points of Nintendo's history.
I suppose you could look at it in this light. Like the sixth Harry Potter movie(I think), it may have been a tad boring, but it set up neccisary plots in order to make the next one that much greater.

So, we may not have had the most wild and interesting character choices, but it set up the main characters in most of the series, as well as shown with Olimar, Sakurai is open to newer franchises making it in. So I expect to see a more interesting cast now that these sort of ground rules have been laid out. I'm hoping to see more "icing" characters. Characters like Bowser Jr. who aren't needed, but are added for one reason or another. As well as new franchises of course.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The main problem with the sixth movie, IMO, is that it took a lot of the subplots out for the movie. I would say that one was my least favorite when I enjoyed the book. Thankfully, they've more than redeemed themselves with the seventh and soon eighth movies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Errrr, I guess I shouldn't jump into a conversation that has long gotten under way, but I'd like to point out that in terms of series importance, at the time Krystal had a slight edge on Wolf. Her role in Command was greater, and she had a fairly significant role in Adventures. Wolf's role in 64 was sort of light in 64, and in Assault, I'd say he edged out Krystal, though Krystal was more important in that game than he was in 64. Wolf in Command was fairly important, but due to the nature of the story, everyone got at least one ending where they were centered upon.

But then again, in reflection, its kind of difficult to quantify those things into saying This>That due to those roles. Heck, it was actually completely irrelevant, considering how Sakurai hadn't even paid any attention to any SF game after 64, and didn't know who Krystal was, when questioned.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What is with people's fascination with Leon I'll never know.

UberMario

Smash Master
Star Fox really didn't need 4 characters [Fox, Falco, and Wolf + Krystal/Leon/Slippy/whoever] in Brawl, the game series only had 5 titles released [and one 99% complete title cancelled], and was going into a drought that would last from 2006 until this June.

Also, I'm guessing that the reason people want him in is because of his, erm, comparatively unstable mentality.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Why voice are you actually talking about RS? because if its his 64 one, you're not going to hear that one again.

Also, he doesn't have any real extra moveset pottential in comparison to any of the other non-Krystal characters outside of maybe being able to turn invisible, but we already have an item that does that.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Why voice are you actually talking about RS? because if its his 64 one, you're not going to hear that one again.
Aww.

Also, he doesn't have any real extra moveset pottential in comparison to any of the other non-Krystal characters outside of maybe being able to turn invisible, but we already have an item that does that.
Tail attacks. Some kind of Fox/Mewtwo hybrid.

UberMario

Smash Master
On the flipside, that item was not in Brawl because HAL wasn't able to get the rights again.

Of course, one must wonder why they didn't bother to create an item for invisibility when they have a Special Brawl mode that has that feature completely programmed . . . . .

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Nah, he just has a great voice and more potential for a unique moveset than anyone else in the series but Krystal.
Slippy can throw wrenches :awesome: [/joke]

I think I have something for Leon : When he is rolling, he can turn invisible (like in that Melee event where Slippy had "built" that invisibility device for Fox & Falco), and when he finishes his roll, he turns back in color. Since he is a chameleon, it makes senses :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
On the flipside, that item was not in Brawl because HAL wasn't able to get the rights again.

Of course, one must wonder why they didn't bother to create an item for invisibility when they have a Special Brawl mode that has that feature completely programmed . . . . .
Fridge logic... why didn't they just use Boo as an item? Boo made you invisible in the Mario Kart games. That, or use the Vanish Box from Super Mario 64.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal's moveset has multitudes more potential then Leons. Staff/Lance Moveset Anyone? Those grenades/Gatlin gun she is seen holding in Assault. Not that uniqueness is the main reason for a character getting into smash.

What about more level's containg cameo's? I wouldn't mind seeing a wario woods level with Captain Syrup popping out. Or a Sinnoh level with Lucario battling *insert Sinnoh Pokemon Here* behind the level. I suppose we could even use characters as obsticles in the level. Totally random ideas off the top of my head.

Do you think the StarFox series dead?

Edit: I realize that, but I'm not counting remakes as a conintuation of the SF storyline, because it isn't.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Krystal's moveset has multitudes more potential then Leons. Staff/Lance Moveset Anyone? Those grenades/Gatlin gun she is seen holding in Assault. Not that uniqueness is the main reason for a character getting into smash.

What about more level's containg cameo's? I wouldn't mind seeing a wario woods level with Captain Syrup popping out. Or a Sinnoh level with Lucario battling *insert Sinnoh Pokemon Here* behind the level. I suppose we could even use characters as obsticles in the level. Totally random ideas off the top of my head.

Do you think the StarFox series dead?

Edit: I realize that, but I'm not counting remakes as a conintuation of the SF storyline, because it isn't.
1. You see Falco holding a bazooka. Look how that went.

2. A 'trainer vs Arceus' battle in the background would be cool to watch mid-fight, but we'll have the 5th generation by then. So it'd probably be something involving the 5th generation.

3. Unless it gets a new game this year, I do NOT mean remakes, yeah. It'll have been like 5 years since Command.

Seriously. The Starfox series is set. They have FIVE GAMES. FIVE. And one of them didn't even fit the StarFox formula, and is sometimes considered the disgrace of the series. (I am not saying that's the overwhelming majority opinion.) And further along, some people don't count Command or Assault! So, SOME Starfox fans would tell you they had two games and three failed experiments! They do not need four characters. For any reason whatsoever. Leon doesn't have more moveset potential than any other character, he's just an interesting idea for being a chameleon and what that could entail. Even Krystal, who is *possible* to be (sub)cloned in two different ways, actually doesn't have many possibilities.

Star Fox just doesn't have it happening anymore. And I'm not hating on the series. I LIKE Star Fox. I think I feel like the F-Zero fans have felt like for years since that series has gone dry.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
They didn't get the rights in Melee either, and they still use proxy mines in Brawl. Had to be deliberate.

I think I feel like the F-Zero fans have felt like for years since that series has gone dry.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA

**** Star Fox

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think Falco should have had that Bazooka, actually. Anyways, every character has the chance of being a clone or a unique character, soooo that's really Irrelevant. BUT I do agree that we have the main characters, but like I said, I like those extra characters or "Icing" on the SSB4 cake :) The only series that I think need a few more characters are F-zero and Metroid. The rest have enough, and any new additions would be an added bonus. Why do they hate Assualt? I LOVED it. I played 64 as a kid, and I liked assualts gameplay, as well as the ground battle/multiplayer thingy. (Where I was Krystal, obvious fanboy here.)

Why do you think clone characters stayed. . . well pretty cloney? When I think of clones becoming non-clones I think of Falco getting a Bazooka, some sort pf aviation techniques and a totally different Final Smash. But this is not the case at all. I realize he plays differently then fox, but only slightly in comparison to if he had a new moveset. So what was it? Why did we keep him a drag? . . .yo.

UberMario

Smash Master
They didn't get the rights in Melee either, and they still use proxy mines in Brawl. Had to be deliberate.
If you're referring to the Motion-Sensor Bomb, they changed it to something that looks completely different in SSBB. I'm not sure why it wasn't redone in the VC release of SSB, though. I guess Microsoft/Rare ok'd it because it wasn't a new title.

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
speaking of Microware, didn't Ninty and MSoft agree that neither would release B&K on their Wayback Machine if the other one didn't?
Microwave has both games on their Wayback machine, so doesn't that mean Ninty should be allowed to? They've already put on several Rare-made DK games, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The thing with the Rare-made DK games is that I believe Nintendo secured the rights to all those games when the selling of Rare happened. That's also why we got Krystal in the Starfox series still. All derivative characters, music, concepts, etc. were all given to Nintendo.

Also, Banjo-Kazooie was reworked to have an HD release (just cleaned the graphics for high-res play), edited some dialogue to include the button swaps, etc. It'd probably be more difficult to have everything retained from the original N64 releases simply due to trademark issues. Like, the original BK has Banjo playing a Gameboy. Don't know what they changed it to for the 360 release.

And here's a little bit of trivia for you guys: You remember the stop-n'-swap feature that never came to fruition? Well, that's been finally put in with the 360 releases.

In short, don't count on the BK games being put on the VC anytime soon. Your best bet is to put it on the 3DS since Microsoft doesn't mind handheld releases.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The point of my comment was just to emphasize that, really, StarFox has no characters that are so unique that they would merit giving them as many characters as they have games. (almost)

And I know what you mean. It was sort of wonky sometimes, but Assault was fun. I think people dislike Command because it was really off the beaten path, and so was Adventures. I've played Command, and I'll admit, it was not that good. >_< It could have worse, but it could have been much better. The only perk it had was nine endings and lots of options in story.

And do you mean that thing about derivative characters only applies to RARE games? Not to bring back the Geno argument, but if that's a general statement, that would make Geno Nintendo's property and not Square's... right?

I'm not bringing the argument up, I'm just asking. xD

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Geno has been explicitly said to be SE's property. Nintendo had to pay for the rights to Rare's derivative characters or something like that.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Lets add a new boss.....

Instead of the blue guy lets make him turn good and all the bosses and charector has to fight a new strounger evil boss :D

And in the obss fight you can see the master hands assisting you and at the end your about to die the the blue boss saves you while dieing in the process..

lets add new assist trophy... Called boss trophy where the boss youes 2 of their moves then leave. We should get Smash balls with 2 types of specials and Have a team special like Falco Fox xD

And more team color more preferably Black and White.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Geno has been explicitly said to be SE's property. Nintendo had to pay for the rights to Rare's derivative characters or something like that.
I hate it. Nintendo uses him more than they do! Just buy him Nintendo. It could be a good investment. . . :)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was thinking of something more meaningful then Sports, like a new RPG game, or even showing up in the next Mario game. Mario Kart is less degrating then Sports.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of something more meaningful then Sports, like a new RPG game, or even showing up in the next Mario game. Mario Kart is less degrating then Sports.
yea but what am saying is if he were in a rpg how evactly would it work would he come in like he did in mariorpg because most mario rpg games are centered with the mario.bros . maybe he should get a game all to his self

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
To be honest, I want geno as a partner in the next paper Mario game. They need to do the rpg thing with paper Mario 4.

majora_787

Smash Hero
... Why does Square want Geno so badly? I have a feeling that Nintendo probably would have used him by now, maybe in a Paper Mario game. They don't exactly need him, and will probably never use him. But I'm just being nitpicky.

I think there should definitely be more team colors. Yellow, Purple, Black and White would be cool. But I can see why they only have three...

As a matter of fact, for some reason, I remember there being a yellow team on some version of smash 64 I saw once. I dunno. But I remember, it was Red, Blue, and Yellow. No idea why. I got my version later, and it was Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom