• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
SFIII, from what I hear is the black sheep of the series for a number of reasons. Some people did not like parries either because the damage it did to zoning, it made things too hard, or something else. Another reason was that the iconic SFII cast was cut sans Ryu and Ken and later on Akuma and Chun-Li. Some people don't like some of the SFIII characters be it for gameplay or character design reasons.

That being said, the series definitely has its fans and some characters from that series have remained popular which is how Ibuki, Dudley, and Makoto got in SSFIV.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That being said, the series definitely has its fans and some characters from that series have remained popular which is how Ibuki, Dudley, and Makoto got in SSFIV.
Agreed. I like Ibuki, Makoto and Elena, I wanted her in SFIV so bad D:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Elena almost got in actually with Super. Although we got Yun and Yang added instead, but in the event more characters come along besides Evil Ryu and Oni, I wouldn't be surprised to see Elena added.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Elena almost got in actually with Super. Although we got Yun and Yang added instead, but in the event more characters come along besides Evil Ryu and Oni, I wouldn't be surprised to see Elena added.
I was watching Combo videos of R. Mika and, she sort of reminds me of a Wrestling verson of peach. R. Mika has actually been one of my favorite SF characters since I was a wee lad.

Anyway, in light of yesterday being brawl's NA release date I was thinking we could talk about time. How long do you think until we hear news of SSB4?

What we know(can assume):

-SSB4 will come out for a future console (Wii2 or 3DS)
- We know the console doesn't need to be released yet for the game to be worked on (SSBB was worked on right after Melee was released I do believe. . .)
- The time span between the games were: 64 - Melee 3 Years Melee - Brawl 7 years
- Brawl had many public delays. This is a possablilty for SSB4
- Sakurai supposedly has been working on Pit Uprising since Brawl was finished. (Does this mean that either it hasen't been worked on, or it has and someone else is taking over for Sakurai?)
- Brawl was Announced 2006, and Came out 2008. (Two years of hype build. What should we expect for this coming game's "Hype Build" time?)

Opinions, I want to hear them.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Sakurai said it was his last SSB game.

As long as SSB4 doesn't feel like playing inside a sticky toffee pudding it should be fine.

Oh and get tripping/auto ledge grabbing out.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One Roster size: One of the problems with trying to go for a small roster is one of Smash's big appeals is that it has a lot to do. It's not unusual to just pick a bunch of different characters. Reducing the stages or the characters could not work because people enjoy Smash Brothers for how much content it has.

Just a thought.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
One Roster size: One of the problems with trying to go for a small roster is one of Smash's big appeals is that it has a lot to do. It's not unusual to just pick a bunch of different characters. Reducing the stages or the characters could not work because people enjoy Smash Brothers for how much content it has.

Just a thought.
Such a game would undoubtedly require something really special with non-character content to justify the smaller cast. I thought that was obvious, but maybe I should start saying spin-off.

Is there any word more thrilling to the human soul?

What we know(can assume):
I hope you like Pale Green, a-har-har.

-SSB4 will come out for a future console (Wii2 or 3DS)
Yep. Most people expected it a few years ago, and unless the Wii sticks around long enough, there's no alternative.

- We know the console doesn't need to be released yet for the game to be worked on (SSBB was worked on right after Melee was released I do believe. . .)
Wrong in regards to Brawl, but Melee began development soon after 64 and came out just after launch. Regardless, I'd expect the next game's dev cycle to be more like Brawl than Melee, so this doesn't seem likely.

- The time span between the games were: 64 - Melee 3 Years Melee - Brawl 7 years
Two years for 64-Melee, as mentioned by Jake the Snake above.

Pretty common with high-profile Nintendo titles, so definitely.

- Sakurai supposedly has been working on Pit Uprising since Brawl was finished. (Does this mean that either it hasen't been worked on, or it has and someone else is taking over for Sakurai?)
Not sure what you're asking in parentheses, but it's true he's been focusing on Kid Icarus since Summer 2008.

- Brawl was Announced 2006, and Came out 2008. (Two years of hype build. What should we expect for this coming game's "Hype Build" time?)
Sakurai had a blog for Melee and I think something similar for 64. I'd expect another site for SSB4, although those of you who felt hype burned by the Dojo might wanna avoid it.

n88

Smash Lord
Pretty common with high-profile Nintendo titles, so definitely.
I would expect less of this, actually, since Nintendo seems to be holding off on announcing games until they're actually somewhere near completion lately.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If I recall, because of the massive hype and following disappointment from Twilight Princess and Brawl, Nintendo has decided to hold back on game announcements unless they're no more than a year away from being finished. This is probably for the best as this means that have more room to make changes before unveiling the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If I recall, because of the massive hype and following disappointment from Twilight Princess and Brawl, Nintendo has decided to hold back on game announcements unless they're no more than a year away from being finished. This is probably for the best as this means that have more room to make changes before unveiling the game.
This had nothing to do with Brawl or TP (also, what disappointment? You mean Smashboards?). It was a new Nintendo policy. They felt there was no need to announce games no where near release.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As I said, both those games were massively hyped, but you got much more disappoint from Brawl because the hype was building up practically every day and we all had different ideas of what was going to be in. In other words, the hype build up built up fantasy bubbles just waiting to be popped.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
.Sakurai supposedly has been working on Pit Uprising since Brawl was finished. (Does this mean that either it hasn’t been worked on, or it has and someone else is taking over for Sakurai?)

I didn't mean for this to be confusing, but I say that a lot.

Basically since we know Sakurai has been working on Uprising, does this mean SSB4 hasn't been developing at all? I guess what I'm asking is what do you think Sakurai is doing, and is he at all participating in the creation of SSB4. (Whether it's now or in the future) Soooo I was asking your opinions on whether you think something along the lines of one of the following options:

A) Sakurai IS leading the SSB4 project, but is either working on it in secret, or waiting later to reveal it.

B) Sakurai really isn't working on it anytime soon, so the development is delayed till he feels the need to start it up again.

C) Sakurai isn't working on it because he is no longer handling the SSB series.

Oh, and I like pale green. . . I also like Hype bubbles if me and only a select few are in them. I'm like a puppy in the sense that sudden exclamations get me uncontrollably excited.

Hype bubble + 11932348337338 twelve year old fanboys = Me reverting back to twelve and ultimately being disappointed in the games final product.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Basically since we know Sakurai has been working on Uprising, does this mean SSB4 hasn't been developing at all?
Oh, for some reason I thought you were asking whether he stopped working on Kid Icarus or not.

No, he's not working on anything else at the moment. Most devs only work on one game at a time and KI isn't finished yet. He'll probably also take a short break afterwards. So the answer is B, I guess.

I would expect less of this, actually, since Nintendo seems to be holding off on announcing games until they're actually somewhere near completion lately.
I meant assuming they announced the game earlier like with Brawl. They haven't completely stopped doing that (Other M, Skyward Sword, Kid Icarus and a few other 3DS titles), so it's still a possibility.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, they sort of have. Other M wasn't unveiled until about a year before its release, and the same will likely apply to Kid Icarus. Zelda, save for its concept art from 2009, also follows this new policy.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Was more in reference to the delays. Compare those to stuff like NSMBWii or DKCR which was pretty much "here it is, you'll be playing it in like 4 months, see ya then" and they were on time.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
As I said, both those games were massively hyped, but you got much more disappoint from Brawl because the hype was building up practically every day and we all had different ideas of what was going to be in. In other words, the hype build up built up fantasy bubbles just waiting to be popped.
The question is "what disappointment," not "where did it come from?"

\\~Call~Me~Cocoa~//

Smash Rookie
You know what would be cool:

-BETTER stage builder
-More characters (Knuckles,Tails,Silver,Sora,Cloud,Sephiroth,Rachet and clank,Squall Leonhart,Wanderer,Dante,Vergil ETC.)
-Playable MIIs (if they make ssb4 for wii or "wii 2")
-More stages
- better online (PLEAAASE)
-Customizable characters (similar to soul calibur, with Styles)
-Custom stages online
-Z-cancel,wavedash, ETC.
I could go on and on really.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't like your choice of characters, don't want to see wavedashing return and think that character customisability would detract from the overall nintendo based experience.

I'd also much rather have some of the good old stages (specifically Dreamland) back than have new ones.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
One thing that could be improved would be the use of the coins you gain in Melee / Brawl.

Apart of spending them when losing all your lives in Classic / Adventures on Very Hard and trying to get trophies from the Lottery for Melee and the Coin Launcher for Brawl, they don't serve many purposes.

I suggest to have things to buy with those coins, like special skins for stages / custom stages for example. Once bought, those custom skins could be activated by pressing a certain button before pushing A/Start/+ button.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not sure that would work well for stages as they'd lose a lot of their unique feel if they could all have (lets say) three different game themes stuck onto them. Character costumes, new music and the ability to buy stickers of your choice would be a better way to go with them IMO.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well what the heck.

What I'd love to see in the next game are:

Characters:
-Mike (from StarTropics)
-Little Mac (from Punch Out)
-Isaac (from Golden Sun)
-Saki (from Sin & Punishment)
-Krystal (with staff from SFAdventures)

and my 3rd party newcomer: Megaman (classic)
and Simon Belmont if possible.

Stages:
-Past Stage Hyrule Castle (N64)
-Past Stage Brinstar Depths (Melee)
-Past Stage Pirate Ship (Brawl)
-C-island (based on StarTropics)
-Mars Lighthouse (based on Golden Sun)
-Major League Ring (based on Punch Out!)

I want tripping removed.
Faster gameplay
BOTH types of air-dodge. One for L, one for R.
Option to play one's own music. At least for Stage Builder stages.
Top notch online.
All characters from previous games in some form (even if it's just a model swap)
Mario = Dr. Mario
Link = Young Link
TP Ganon = OoT Ganon

And the other 3 would be their own characters.

supersmash43

Smash Cadet
You know what would be cool:

-BETTER stage builder
-More characters (Knuckles,Tails,Silver,Sora,Cloud,Sephiroth,Rachet and clank,Squall Leonhart,Wanderer,Dante,Vergil ETC.)
-Playable MIIs (if they make ssb4 for wii or "wii 2")
-More stages
- better online (PLEAAASE)
-Customizable characters (similar to soul calibur, with Styles)
-Custom stages online
-Z-cancel,wavedash, ETC.
I could go on and on really.
I agree with everything you said except the bolded part. Well I do wish they would actually bring back those 'advanced' techniques too, but given the state that Sakurai is currently on (which is making the game as noob friendly and uncompetitive as possible) that's kinda unlikely.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Why would they make a generic mook playable?

Then again, I did had this thought of what a playable Bandana Waddle Dee and Sword Waddle Doo would look like.

DemonDream

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure more people know about Falco than Isaac and he has a larger fanbase than Krystal (discluding.... certain Krystal fans).

And TLink not being deserving is bull****.
I agree! I say Toon Link stays! They say he's not important just because he wasn't in subspace. I hope they would rather not have Young Lnk back. Young Link was nothing but a waste of space, due to him being a clone of Link. Toon Link has bombs with color! :3

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Leave Krystal alone. She has enough fans for her to be talked about in an interview with Sakurai, take that Isaac.

Anyways, I had a question for anyone who could answer it really. Do Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, and Rival Schools all play the same? (Love DarkStalkers AND Rival Schools, they need sequals.)

I haven't played them both for a loooong time so I don't really remember.

Also, I remember reading about a Wii with Blu Ray and HD coming out. Can anyone clarify on this?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Does Mr.G&W count?
I think that they'd be able to pull something similar off here as the Shy Guys do so many different thinks in their games. Also, I tend consider the white one his own character, rather than just one of many.
Mr. G&W isn't just an average enemy in his game series like Shy Guy is. Wanting a Shy Guy as a fighter in SSB is like wanting a Goomba or an Octorok.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Mr. G&W isn't just an average enemy in his game series like Shy Guy is. Wanting a Shy Guy as a fighter in SSB is like wanting a Goomba or an Octorok.
Mr.G&W was a generic character, never stated to even be the same person between games. Also, what about Goombario or King Kaliente (ok, he's technically not an octorok but that's not the point)? I believe "Shiro" is atleast as much of a character as they are.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Shy Guy is a platform game henchmen like many others. Yoshi didn't get a title in his series for quite a long time too. There is no reason for Shy Guy to be in the roster.
White Shy Guys being special? Did a quick search. Except they're allies of Yoshi kind (like Pink Bob-ombs were friendly to Mario), there doesn't seem to be anything really special about them. And being playable in Mario Kart doesn't really make their chances bigger. [error]
Goombario appeared in a single game, as far as I know. I can't say anything about King Kaliente, because I don't know him.

I believe Mr. G&W is in Smash to represent early Nintendo years in video games business. As generic as he may be, there is a reason for him to be in SSB.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Shy Guy is a platform game henchmen like many others. Yoshi didn't get a title in his series for quite a long time too. There is no reason for Shy Guy to be in the roster.
Yoshi sucks in regular Mario games anyway so I don't care in the slightest that he has nothing new. Yoshi's Story was the only real Yoshi game IMO and it had one type of enemy far more prominent than all the others. The Shy Guys. They were far more significant in that one game than in all their other appearances combined. This is why they are Yoshi rep for me.

White Shy Guys being special? Did a quick search. Except they're allies of Yoshi kind (like Pink Bob-ombs were friendly to Mario), there doesn't seem to be anything really special about them. And being playable in Mario Kart doesn't really make their chances bigger.
White Shy Guy playable in Mario Kart?! You'd better get your facts straight mister, that Guy is pink! Infact, he's the only pink Shy Guy in existence...

I believe Mr. G&W is in Smash to represent early Nintendo years in video games business. As generic as he may be, there is a reason for him to be in SSB.
I can agree that he has reason. The Shy Guys have no such reason outside of Yoshi's Story. They do, however, do all sorts of different things in the same way that he does. I thus think that they could have the same sort of crazy moveset he does. They have no real reason to get in but they'd be great if they did.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi sucks in regular Mario games anyway so I don't care in the slightest that he has nothing new. Yoshi's Story was the only real Yoshi game IMO and it had one type of enemy far more prominent than all the others. The Shy Guys. They were far more significant in that one game than in all their other appearances combined. This is why they are Yoshi rep for me.
There were lots of different kinds of Shy Guys in SMW2. No doubt they kinda became Yoshi rep then.
White Shy Guy playable in Mario Kart?! You'd better get your facts straight mister, that Guy is pink! Infact, he's the only pink Shy Guy in existence...
I don't care about Mario spin-offs, so yeah. This may have been a mistake. Fix'd that.
I can agree that he has reason. The Shy Guys have no such reason outside of Yoshi's Story. They do, however, do all sorts of different things in the same way that he does. I thus think that they could have the same sort of crazy moveset he does. They have no real reason to get in but they'd be great if they did.
If Shy Guy had a reason to be a fighter in Smash, he could do weird stuff. But he hasn't. ;p

ryuu seika

Smash Master
There were lots of different kinds of Shy Guys in SMW2. No doubt they kinda became Yoshi reps then.
See.

If Shy Guy had a reason to be a fighter in Smash, he could do weird stuff. But he hasn't. ;p
I would have hoped great gameplay potential and being well known and iconic were enough but I guess we will have to move on to Wii game character sooner or later. I'm not sure what characters those might be though because I see nothing with potential besides Miis.

I don't know how you lot see SSB but I don't care much for the direction Brawl took. I enjoyed Melee as a great fun game based on nintendo's greatest. Brawl isn't that though. Nintendo's greatest was mainly the N64 era and it certainly wasn't orchestrated music.
I'm going to have to leave it here so as not to get into a massive rant about the state of gaming.

EDIT: I'm going to have to play Yoshi's Island at some point. I'm not sure if I'll like it, what with Yoshi being made into little more than transport yet again but, if it's that related to Yoshi's Story, I have to give it a go.

DemonDream

Smash Rookie
Yu guys are joking right? I don't really see Shy Guy on Sakura's mind. Shy guy isn't even on my mind. Sure, I can see how he could fit into subspace, but hey, me and Sakura don't think alike.

DemonDream

Smash Rookie
I was saying I'd like one, not that I'd expect one.
Yeah, I know. I don't expect one either. But we can dream right?

Ok, just remembered something: Shy Guys appeared on one of the stages on Brawl, right? Sakura probably plans on keeping it that way if Yoshi's island stage makes it to SSB4.

As for Mr. G&W, he adds comedy to the game, and he represents Nintendo in the past. I love Mr. G&W, so I think whoever makes the idea's for the next SSB4 (If there will be one) needs to continue the legacy of G&W's! :D

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know. I don't expect one either. But we can dream right?

Ok, just remembered something: Shy Guys appeared on one of the stages on Brawl, right? Sakura probably plans on keeping it that way if Yoshi's island stage makes it to SSB4.

As for Mr. G&W, he adds comedy to the game, and he represents Nintendo in the past. I love Mr. G&W, so I think whoever makes the idea's for the next SSB4 (If there will be one) needs to continue the legacy of G&W's! :D
Shy Guys were on Melee's Yoshi Island too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If it weren't for midterms this week, I'd be complaining how crappy that Shy Guy conversation was.

Oh, and it's Sakurai, not Sakura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom