• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSP

Smash Legend
Is it too late to ask them to focus less on subspace esque stuff and work on more important things like characters and the online play?

UberMario

Smash Master
I think that the 3DS version will be a watered down version of the console's, simply because that would allow both of them to work together via wi-fi.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Well you're most likely going to end up being disappointed because in terms of representation Zoroark is most likely the best choice from Generation 5.

It would be cool if Lucario stayed though. Lucario vs. Zoroark battles would be epic.

I'd also like to see Mewtwo return, but that's probably asking for too much.
I'd like to replace Jiggs with Zoroark :)

Croi

Smash Lord
Well you're most likely going to end up being disappointed because in terms of representation Zoroark is most likely the best choice from Generation 5.
Well, that, and also, every playable Pokemon in Smash Bros is either iconic in the show (Pikachu, Jigglypuff during the 64 days) or has its own movie (Mewtwo, Lucario). Zoroark just seems like the next obvious step - Pokemon movies still get theatrical releases in Japan and it's super-big **** over there.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yeah just give a melee type adventure mode, and then just work deep into gameplay. Smash really never had a story so why focus so hard on making one.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
in an effort to stop this pokemon talk, i've got a proposition:

Paradise for 3DS and Strife for WiiU...

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Is it too late to ask them to focus less on subspace esque stuff and work on more important things like characters and the online play?
Actually I thought the Subspace was very well put together and I'd gladly welcome another version of it.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
LOL that won't stop the discussion

EDIT: Subspace wasn't bad, but what most of us want is very good gameplay. Not an adventure because this isn't a adventure game per se.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
A Super Smash Bros. game for both consoles? Isaac/Matthew better show up this time, Nintendo. That Assist Trophy in Brawl was sad, just sad. Now that there is one coming out for the handheld I think that one of the two should definitely be on that one, but hopefully the Wii U one as well because I want to see Isaac/Matthew in glorious HD.

D

Deleted member

Probably so. Although to be fair, considering that there's a good chance of more characters via DLC, it's not what I call a bad thing.
I think that the 3DS version will be a watered down version of the console's, simply because that would allow both of them to work together via wi-fi.
Actually, I think the 3DS version will be a completely different version, more of alike the 3DS version.

Now to think about it, when Round Catcus mentioned Super Smash Bros. Paradise and only one newcomer in the trailer, I think he was referring to the 3DS version. SSB4 on Wii-U will be entirely different.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
We're asking for a good game. Don't bring your sarcastic, misconstrued examples in here. Smash happens to be arguably a fighting game, or of a niche in the fighting genre; however you want to word it, I won't play semantics here.

Thus we're asking for a good Smash game.

You know, you irritate me every time you post because you never have anything smart to say. Ugh.
Smash Bros Brawl was a brilliant game. You don't like it because it didn't have qualities you thought it should have and had features you didn't like. "Objectively," Brawl was a huge commercial and critical success. It has sold millions of copies. Even as a competitive fighting game, it has seen more success than games that are arguably much better, like Guilty Gear or even Street Fighter IV, as it has more fans and players. What other game without any competitive in-house support enjoyed a year on the MLG circuit? Nintendo had very little to do with putting it there. The huge (staggeringly huge) amount of community support put it there, and don't you forget it.

See, your problem (and most people who don't like Brawl share this problem) is that you think that because Brawl didn't satisfy your wants and the wants of the box your community lives in, it was a failure when it fact it was a monumental success and is a brilliantly made video game. I'm not sure what you were expecting out of it. If it was Melee again, I'm not sure why you were expecting that since anymore with a brain knew from the second it was announced it was going to be much different (and likely a lot easier).

The words "vocal minority" have never rung more true, Jesus.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Yikes! Who open the flood gates?! (I'm not going to make any Lousiana jokes either)

I can't even find my previous post here anymore.

Okay so there will be two Smash Games but they will be interactive with each other. That must mean that both games will have the same character roosters. I'm also predicting at least two years before it comes out.

I'm trying to think on how Smash will change with the new consoles. It's interesting and also scary.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Smash Bros Brawl was a brilliant game. You don't like it because it didn't have qualities you thought it should have and had features you didn't like. "Objectively," Brawl was a huge commercial and critical success. It has sold millions of copies. Even as a competitive fighting game, it has seen more success than games that are arguably much better, like Guilty Gear or even Street Fighter IV, as it has more fans and players. What other game without any competitive in-house support enjoyed a year on the MLG circuit? Nintendo had very little to do with putting it there. The huge (staggeringly huge) amount of community support put it there, and don't you forget it.

See, your problem (and most people who don't like Brawl share this problem) is that you think that because Brawl didn't satisfy your wants and the wants of the box your community lives in, it was a failure when it fact it was a monumental success and is a brilliantly made video game. I'm not sure what you were expecting out of it. If it was Melee again, I'm not sure why you were expecting that since anymore with a brain knew from the second it was announced it was going to be much different (and likely a lot easier).

GET EM.

Yikes! Who open the flood gates?! (I'm not going to make any Lousiana jokes either)

I can't even find my previous post here anymore.

Okay so there will be two Smash Games but they will be interactive with each other. That must mean that both games will have the same character roosters. I'm also predicting at least two years before it comes out.

I'm trying to think on how Smash will change with the new consoles. It's interesting and also scary.
I say 2-3 years as well. Idk maybe they could do the roster differences and still make it work. Idk.

EDIT: If pokemon's different costumes gave him different generation pokemon, would be great. (But probably a lot of work.)

D

Deleted member

Yeah 5 seems the most accurate. MAYBE 6 if Lucario's brought back.

Pikachu
Jiggs
Pokemon Trainer (Treecko, Marshtomp, Blaziken plox? :awesome:)
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Sounds like what I would expect. Lucario might make it back, but I doubt it. I find it more likely that Mewtwo returns with his moves back.

Matt07

Smash Master
2-3 years, eh I guess that would be resonable. I could see 4-5 years at most. They're in early development right now (like really early), so...

That's just my 2 cents.

And replace Roy with Marth.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I would expect a roster of similar size to Brawl, for a few reasons:

1. Even at the casual level, Brawl's balance suffered because of the amount of characters.
2. A few characters are likely to be cut, like the transition from Brawl to Melee (Ike, ZSS, Lucario, etc), which may or may not be completely filled in with "new" fighters.
3. It's hard to find new characters from Nintendo that aren't stretching it a little, so to speak. Ridley isn't a very dynamic character. There are minor characters from the current franchises, but most of them already have a ton of representation (do we really need another Star Fox or Mario character?).

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Actually I thought the Subspace was very well put together and I'd gladly welcome another version of it.
I liked subspace too, I just hope they make it more unique and not feel like Kirby Superstar Lite.

also @ above, HEEEEEEELLLLL no. Kirby ain't going nowhere.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
GET EM.

I say 2-3 years as well. Idk maybe they could do the roster differences and still make it work. Idk.

EDIT: If pokemon's different costumes gave him different generation pokemon, would be great. (But probably a lot of work.)
GOD YES. You have no idea how many times I'd buy this game if I could play Chikorita, Croconaw, Typhlosion O:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm totally down for another Sonic character. Also, I'd like to see Bowser Jr. I hate clones as a rule, but I can't argue with a faster, cuter, smaller bowser.

Matt07

Smash Master
I think they'd add Tails first before Knuckles at least I'm hoping, Tails is my favourite character from the franchise.

Yea, then it'd be like Link/Toon Link "thing" going on :(.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Overall I'm extremely excited to be speculating over SSB characters again.

The best part about Brawl IMO was slowly finding out weeks by weeks who got in and who didn't.

D

Deleted member

I think it's time for Knuckles to make an appearance.
There are better characters to be represented. Mega Man, Bomberman, Pacman, the list goes on. He would be nice, but not really special like the three above.

Third-party characters must be something that can be done really well and people really want. He's unlikely anyway.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I would expect a roster of similar size to Brawl, for a few reasons:

1. Even at the casual level, Brawl's balance suffered because of the amount of characters.
2. A few characters are likely to be cut, like the transition from Brawl to Melee (Ike, ZSS, Lucario, etc), which may or may not be completely filled in with "new" fighters.
3. It's hard to find new characters from Nintendo that aren't stretching it a little, so to speak. Ridley isn't a very dynamic character. There are minor characters from the current franchises, but most of them already have a ton of representation (do we really need another Star Fox or Mario character?).
1. Brawl was pretty well balanced overall though. IMO Ganon and MK were the only TRUE outliers and they weren't that far off.

D

Deleted member

@The Real Gamer: I admit it, the speculation is my favorite part of the game. I love imagining the roster and how it'll be.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Personally I wouldn't even count on there being two versions of Link again. There's not a "child" version of Link recent enough to fit. Toon Link could just come back again, but even though we've forgotten about it somewhat, his inclusion has always felt a little awkward.

@kackamee:
Really? I mean, the difference between say, Mario and Falco is pretty palpable...

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
here's the thing folks: if Sonic was thrown in to represent the Company(sgega), not the series, he can be the ONLY rep. otherwise, Snake would also have to get Raiden, Psycho Mantis, etc. thrown in the game as playable.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Hey does this mean SSB4 can have it's own forum section like it did before Brawl? Otherwise there will be little reason to post anything here.

D

Deleted member

Personally I wouldn't even count on there being two versions of Link again. There's not a "child" version of Link recent enough to fit. Toon Link could just come back again, but even though we've forgotten about it somewhat, his inclusion has always felt a little awkward.

@kackamee:
Really? I mean, the difference between say, Mario and Falco is pretty palpable...
That's why if Sakurai wants to really get rid of clones, he just might replace Toon Link with Fierce Diety Link.

Matt07

Smash Master
I think there will probably be a subforum when we have a little more information on it, such as characters/development progress.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
There are better characters to be represented. Mega Man, Bomberman, Pacman, the list goes on. He would be nice, but not really special like the three above.

Third-party characters must be something that can be done really well and people really want. He's unlikely anyway.
I can't honestly see Pacman in SSB lol. It'd be very creative.

I'm very scared about the roster in terms of new 3rd party characters though. Nintendo got some new partnerships with Capcom, Namco, etc. I really don't want to see Kazuya, Jin, Wesker and other people of that sort in a SSB game. It has a "cuteness" factor to maintain.

Ulevo

Smash Master

See, your problem (and most people who don't like Brawl share this problem) is that you think that because Brawl didn't satisfy your wants and the wants of the box your community lives in, it was a failure when it fact it was a monumental success and is a brilliantly made video game. I'm not sure what you were expecting out of it.

1: Commercial or economical success does not equate to quality. In 2007, the per capita spending of health care in the United States was US$6.7 Billion dollars. That adds to the per capita of the of the US, which is a representation of growth, and is supposed to imply how prosperous that nation is. That said, high medical expenses indicate sick and dying people, and lower medical expenses would indicate a nation with a higher quality of life.

This is one of many examples on how money and economical success is detached from true, tangible quality in real life. Don't mistake the two and try to run with it.

2: I don't like Brawl because there are blatant problems with it, problems that shouldn't exist, and are simply bad game design; not because I dislike Brawl for what it tries to be, but because for what it fails to be. Frame disadvantages causing infintes, poor loading times upon Pokemon and Zelda/Sheik transformations, stored lag from up B recovery moves on characters, poor choices in frame data in general on moves (i.e. ZSS not being able to connect her third jab legitimately just by the opponent holding L/R), advantages for port priority, non-optional tripping, exploits like the Infinite Dimensional Cape. The list goes on. I guarantee you that if I hadn't dumped this game two years ago, I'd remember a lot more bull**** to flig at you, and then some. Get someone in here like Magus or Dantarion who has actually broken the game down and they'll give you a whirl too.

3: Brawl is successful in tournaments and otherwise because it road the waves of an amazing series, and its predecessor was one of the best Nintendo titles ever created.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I don't think he minds clones and I don't think anyone REALLY minds them either, especially when the clones are either somewhat different (space animals). The only clones I don't like are ones that play similarly but come from different series' (Ganon deserves his own move set, really).

But I think it's a goal of the series to keep relevant characters included, and as Toon Link fades away, it becomes more and more awkward to keep him. I wasn't really talking about "clones" as much as I was just talking about Link in particular.

D

Deleted member

I can't honestly see Pacman in SSB lol. It'd be very creative.

I'm very scared about the roster in terms of new 3rd party characters though. Nintendo got some new partnerships with Capcom, Namco, etc. I really don't want to see Kazuya, Jin, Wesker and other people of that sort in a SSB game. It has a "cuteness" factor to maintain.
I don't think "cuteness" is exactly important to a roster. A few SSBB and SSBM characters are not cute. Marth, Snake, Bowser, the list goes on.

And I don't think better third-party necessarily means more then four third-party characters next game on either 3DS or Wii-U.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Batman for SSB4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom