• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
yeah, the new footage of Kid Icarus just Kingdom Hearted all over the place. Do you think Pit's moveset will change in SSB4 since he has new weapons?

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'm just going to say it right now: Anyone having high hopes for Super Smash Bros. 4 needs to come back down to earth, develop some perspective, and be really realistic about this. It's a LOT better to have zero expectations for what is likely to be another big failure and be proven wrong than to have high expectations and be severely disappointed again.

Croi

Smash Lord
I'm just going to say it right now: Anyone having high hopes for Super Smash Bros. 4 needs to come back down to earth, develop some perspective, and be really realistic about this. It's a LOT better to have zero expectations for what is likely to be another big failure and be proven wrong than to have high expectations and be severely disappointed again.
This is a safe idea and all

but

smash bros

D

Deleted member

Aside from the online, Brawl wasn't really a huge disappointment to me. It's not that hard to envision the game being great.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
So, a new SSB will be for both the 3DS and WiiU?

I hope both game have something excluse and unique to each other.

So now, we are finally at the 6th Generation of Nintendo Gaming.

NES > SNES > N64 > GCN > Wii > WiiU

GB > SGB/GBP > GBC > GBA > DS> 3DS

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I think the console and the controller look great. Im cautiously opimistic about the new Smash but if it has a roster less than 45 just so it can have the same roster as the 3ds version, I am going to be really pissed.

:phone:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Sakurai mentioned in a GDC conference that the way he balanced the game was by getting the best player and the worst player among the developers, and balancing it so they were both on even ground.
....... That saddens me SO VERY MUCH........ ;-;

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Or, continue what we are doing, and ignore one *******'s opinion? I set my expectations wherever i please. Brawl wasnt a failure, nor a disappointment. It just didnt deliver what everyone expected and that was fine. You cant produce something perfect every time. Sakurai knows what he did wrong last time, and will try to do better.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Not entirely true. Nintendo really went all out. They are bringing so many hardcore games to their new system that I honestly have a hard time believing that they would try to make it "non-competitive." Having hopes can be justified in this case.

Croi

Smash Lord
SSB4 will remove the DACUS and everyone will throw as big a fit over it as wavedashing.

And then we'll find some kind of equivalent a week after it's released. Again.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not entirely true. Nintendo really went all out. They are bringing so many hardcore games to their new system that I honestly have a hard time believing that they would try to make it "non-competitive." Having hopes can be justified in this case.
This.

Isn't the whole point of the CONSOLE, to bring back hardcore players?

Ulevo

Smash Master
Aside from the online, Brawl wasn't really a huge disappointment to me. It's not that hard to envision the game being great.
The more educated you become about Brawl, and how it works, the more you realize exactly how bad it is. I'm being fairly objective about that statement as well.

It's like economics, or pollution in our environment. People don't understand the gravity of the circumstances until they get involved and realize everything that's going on.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Or, continue what we are doing, and ignore one *******'s opinion? I set my expectations wherever i please. Brawl wasnt a failure, nor a disappointment. It just didnt deliver what everyone expected and that was fine. You cant produce something perfect every time. Sakurai knows what he did wrong last time, and will try to do better.
The sad thing is, I don't think Sakurai knows what he did wrong last time. Or at least, he doesn't feel like he did anything wrong, and in the eyes of many Smash fans.... He didn't.

This is why I'm afraid.

Ulevo

Smash Master
1: Sakurai is still making the game.

2: Regardless if you have justification for having hope or not, my point still stands. Better to be pleasantly surprised after doubt than severely disappointed after hoping.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
SSB4 will remove the DACUS and everyone will throw as big a fit over it as wavedashing.

And then we'll find some kind of equivalent a week after it's released. Again.
Or it can have both and a new equivalent.

wtf have controllers evolved to? I don't need to play Smash with an iPad.

:053:
gc ports? this will fail if not
Yeah GCCs I feel are a big need unless they make a new controller specifically for fighters.

This.

Isn't the whole point of the CONSOLE, to bring back hardcore players?
This

The more educated you become about Brawl, and how it works, the more you realize exactly how bad it is. I'm being fairly objective about that statement as well.

It's like economics, or pollution in our environment. People don't understand the gravity of the circumstances until they get involved and realize everything that's going on.
This too. As much as I'm into Brawl and love it, it really does take away when you have worry about ledge camping and scrooging. Also being trolled by a "non-bannable" character.

D

Deleted member

God I hate it so much when people compare games to politics. There is no correlation between the two.

It is not a fact that SSBB is a bad game, that is your own opinion only. I am entitled to my own opinion and I am entitled to think that SSBB is a great game. You don't have to agree with me; but your opinion is not objective.

•Col•

Smash Champion
How many characters do you guys think will be in this time?

SSBM had 25
SSBB had 35
SSB4 = 45+?
I'm actually expecting less than 35.

I have a bad feeling that they're going to want to make the 3DS and Wii U games have the same roster... So it's going to be dumbed down.

GHAL416

Smash Rookie

SSBM had 25
SSBB had 35
SSB4 = 45+?
I believe there will be more. More information can be stored, so I guess it just comes down to whether all the characters can be integrated like they want. We'll just have to see.

As for a preference, I'd like Waluigi to go from trophy to character.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
1: Sakurai is still making the game.

2: Regardless if you have justification for having hope or not, my point still stands. Better to be pleasantly surprised after doubt than severely disappointed after hoping.
1. Not confirmed. It could be run by Hal Laboratories.

2. Agreed, however I don't think you should just assume the game will be a bombshell. SSB and SSBM were pretty good games competitively (Well even though we had to find many things to make the game the way it was) and honestly SSBB wasn't THAT bad as the game was fairly balanced from a competitive stand point.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Sakurai mentioned in a GDC conference that the way he balanced the game was by getting the best player and the worst player among the developers, and balancing it so they were both on even ground.

I have no faith in that man to make a good competitive fighter.
Fortunately, he's not designing one.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'm actually expecting less than 35.

I have a bad feeling that they're going to want to make the 3DS and Wii U games have the same roster... So it's going to be dumbed down.
Idk. The 3DS is pretty powerful. SF43D had the same roster as the other SF4's. Granted I'm sure SSB is a bigger game. But I doubt they'd give us any less of a roster then 45 (And that's after they've taken out characters, which I honestly don't expect them to this time around)

I thought according to SamuraiPanda they stated in E3 that Sakurai was on development for the next Smash game?
Well, I don't think he would be completely cut from the development of the game, but I don't think he is in charge of the entity of the game this time.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I thought according to SamuraiPanda they stated in E3 that Sakurai was on development for the next Smash game?
Could be there just to supervise.

Now the man KNOWS what the trend is to each console. So with the Wii, he had to take a more casual approach, and this time, a bit more of a hardcore one.

•Col•

Smash Champion
It was heavily implied that Sakurai would be leading the development... Not really confirmed though, I guess. :/

He's definitely involved in a big way, though.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Sakurai is indeed developing the game. Not just Sakurai, but Sora itself (Sakurai's company) was directly mentioned as being involved.

SAKURAI IS LEADING THE DESIGN OF THIS GAME. DO NOT START RUMORS OTHERWISE.

D

Deleted member

SSBM had 25
SSBB had 35
SSB4 = 45+?
I think there will be two different selection of characters rosters, even thought both are technically connected together.

3DS version will have around 30 while the Wii-U version will have somewhere between 40-mid 50s, which if the Super Smash Bros. Paradise rumor is false, I expect late 40s-early 50s to be most likely.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I think Lucario is going to follow Mewtwo's trend and be replaced by Zoroark. Could be wrong, of course.
I agree that Lucario will be replaced, however I'd be so very disappointed if Zoroark was it's replacement.

Ulevo

Smash Master
guys i'm really mad that super mario galaxy wasn't a good first person shooter
We're asking for a good game. Don't bring your sarcastic, misconstrued examples in here. Smash happens to be arguably a fighting game, or of a niche in the fighting genre; however you want to word it, I won't play semantics here.

Thus we're asking for a good Smash game.

You know, you irritate me every time you post because you never have anything smart to say. Ugh.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I agree that Lucario will be replaced, however I'd be so very disappointed if Zoroark was it's replacement.
Well you're most likely going to end up being disappointed because in terms of representation Zoroark is most likely the best choice from Generation 5.

It would be cool if Lucario stayed though. Lucario vs. Zoroark battles would be epic.

I'd also like to see Mewtwo return, but that's probably asking for too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom