• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So you think we're childish for disagreeing with you? How utterly childish.
No, I think its childish that you two always seem to disagree with everything I write. Please read the context, but whatever I feel its pointless to be wasting my time arguing with you two.

Anyway, to the rest of the people who read this topic, I actually working on a variety of different works and pieces regarding Smash Bros. I feel the time in which Sakurai might begin work on Smash 4 is only about a year away.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
No, I think its childish that you two always seem to disagree with everything I write.
Don't forget, that means you are disagreeing with them, too. :p

Anyways, I think I heard someone asking if Layton was Nintendo, and I'd like to say he is.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyways, I think I heard someone asking if Layton was Nintendo, and I'd like to say he is.
Layton is not owned by Nintendo, they are owned by Level-5. Nintendo, however, publishes the Layton titles outside Japan. So the rights to the series are third-party. Sort of like how Final Fantasy is owned by Square-Enix, yet most of their GBA titles were published by Nintendo in North America.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Layton is not owned by Nintendo, they are owned by Level-5. Nintendo, however, publishes the Layton titles outside Japan. So the rights to the series are third-party. Sort of like how Final Fantasy is owned by Square-Enix, yet most of their GBA titles were published by Nintendo in North America.
Oh, my bad. I feel stupid now. :urg:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, my bad. I feel stupid now. :urg:
Its okay. There is generally a lot of confusion when its comes to certain series and characters, the most notorious of which is Geno (which is a character that originated in the Mario series, yet the rights to him are owned by Square-Enix).

Another one a lot of people are confused on is Baten Kaitos because the second game in the series, Baten Kaitos Origins, was published in all regions by Nintendo, and because the developer of the series, Monolithsoft, is now owned by Nintendo. However, the rights to the series (even the second-game) are owned by Namco-Bandai.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Its okay. There is generally a lot of confusion when its comes to certain series and characters, the most notorious of which is Geno (which is a character that originated in the Mario series, yet the rights to him are owned by Square-Enix).
I agree. I know some people that still think BK is owned by Nintendo, actually.

How likely do you think Capcom and Square-Enix are to loan their characters to SSB4? Bomberman and Viewtiful Joe come to mind as possible characters...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I agree. I know some people that still think BK is owned by Nintendo, actually.

How likely do you think Capcom and Square-Enix are to loan their characters to SSB4? Bomberman and Viewtiful Joe come to mind as possible characters...
First off, Bomberman is not owned by either Capcom or Square-Enix.

Secondly, it is quite unlikely that Viewtiful Joe would be chosen as Capcom's playable character in Smash Bros. because the series has been on hiatus since 2005, and because he is obscure compared to the likes of Mega Man and Ryu. However, if you want to see Viewtiful Joe in a crossover fighting games, well I got good news for you. He is a playable character in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and is going to be one of the playable characters in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

As for the liklihood of there being Capcom and Square-Enix characters in Smash 4, there is basically no way to determine the liklihood, seeing as how the two ways in which a third-party character gets into Smash Bros. are either: interest by the developer to place their character into Smash Bros. (which was the case with Snake) or massive requests for the character to be placed in by the fanbase (which was the case with Sonic).

PD4FR

Smash Ace
First, off Bomberman is not owned by either Capcom or Square-Enix.

Secondly, it is quite unlikely that Viewtiful Joe would be chosen as Capcom's playable character in Smash Bros. because the series has been on hiatus since 2005, and because he is obscure compared to the likes of Mega Man and Ryu. However, if you want to see Viewtiful Joe in a crossover fighting games, well I got good news for you. He is a playable character in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and is going to be one of the playable characters in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

As for the liklihood of there being Capcom and Square-Enix characters in Smash 4, there is basically no way to determine the liklihood, seeing as how the two ways in which a third-party character gets into Smash Bros. are either: interest by the developer to place their character into Smash Bros. (which was the case with Snake) or massive requests for the character to be placed in by the fanbase (which was the case with Sonic).
He isn't? I need new sources...
I searched around and found Hudson Soft, is that Bomberman?

Eh, I was just throwing Joe out there, I thought it would be cool. It is interesting that he is going to be in Marvel vs. Capcom, though. :)

There's no telling what Sakurai is going to do, lol, so I guess we'll have to wait for that.

I don't think I know enough about this stuff, I'll stay out of this. :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He isn't? I need new sources...
I searched around and found Hudson Soft, is that Bomberman?
Yes, Hudsonsoft owns Bomberman. However, it is interesting to note that Konami now owns Hudsonsoft, though Hudsonsoft still retains autonomy about what they do with their franchises.

UberMario

Smash Master
Yes, Hudsonsoft owns Bomberman. However, it is interesting to note that Konami now owns Hudsonsoft, though Hudsonsoft still retains autonomy about what they do with their franchises.
Hmmm, technically that means that Konami [at least partially] owns the following notable series which could be represented:
[Potentially with characters]
Metal Gear
Castlevania
Bomberman
Bonk [more likely only music, but at one point it was one of Hudson's more popular lines so you never know]
[only Music, Stages, etc]
Survival Kids/Lost in Blue
Gradius
Mario Party
Frogger
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Contra
Dance Dance Revolution/Beatmania
Twinbee
Adventure Island

Dsc

Smash Ace
My wish list:

Longer hitstun jesus.
Raiden(mgs4/5)
Deku/goron/zora link (majoras mask)
I know these guys arent owned by nintendo anymore... But i still dont understand why banjo kazooie didnt make it to smash 64.... I mean, they have a pretty obvious set of attacks..
Anyways,
I also wish sonic pisses off and gets replaced by superman lol jk.
Mabye megaman.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL WUT? Just because Hudson Soft made Mario Party doesn't mean they own the rights to Mario Party. They only made the games in Nintendo's behalf. It is like how Rare made Donkey Kong Country in Nintendo's behalf. Anyway, we got characters from Mario Party in Smash already. :p

Anyway, the only Konami series I really want in Smash is Castlevania with Simon Belmont as the playable character. I always felt that Castlevania was more Nintendo-ish than Metal Gear was... maybe it's because Castlevania have had more games on the Nintendo systems than Metal Gear ever did. In case you couldn't tell, I'm all for the removal of Snake in favor of Simon Belmont.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Drop Snake, add Castlevania + Bomberman. (I do know it's unlikely, and I would rather just have bomberman, but this seems the most logical of the illogical wishes I have)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Castlevania makes a lot more sense than Bomberman...and also probably makes more sense than Metal Gear. Still, its not really as popular as MGS, and since Snake was already in Smash, I'd say it would be unlikely for Castlevania to supplant it. Still, I'm open to the idea that companies can have two franchises in Smash, with only one character each. (Sanke and Simon for Konami. Megaman and Ryu for Capcom. Sonic and
Vyse
for Sega..... Okay, maybe that last one isn't likely. ._. )

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The only series I can think of outside of Sonic the Hedgehog that is even remotely popular is the Monkey Ball series. Getting a playable character from that series is nearly impossible...

UberMario

Smash Master
LOL WUT? Just because Hudson Soft made Mario Party doesn't mean they own the rights to Mario Party. They only made the games in Nintendo's behalf. It is like how Rare made Donkey Kong Country in Nintendo's behalf. Anyway, we got characters from Mario Party in Smash already. :p
Waluigi wasn't created in Mario Party, he was created in Camelot's Mario Tennis, and I'm still waiting for the mysteriously absent Mario Party tunes. :p

And if I recall correctly Nintendo had to buy DK's new model (the one with the tie, not the original "naked" one which was used until early 1994) from Rare, hence why some of the early N64 games, such as Mario Kart 64, had the disclaimer in the credits "Donkey Kong 3-D model provided courtesy of Rare UK". They also bought Diddy and a few other major characters like Dixie, the Kremlings, and K Rool either then or later on (once again iirc). It was similar to how Super Mario RPG was developed by Square on Nintendo's behalf, but they still owned the new characters, music, etc they made for it.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
No, I think its childish that you two always seem to disagree with everything I write. Please read the context, but whatever I feel its pointless to be wasting my time arguing with you two.

Anyway, to the rest of the people who read this topic, I actually working on a variety of different works and pieces regarding Smash Bros. I feel the time in which Sakurai might begin work on Smash 4 is only about a year away.

Please tell when your pieces are done, they're always an interesting read.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Waluigi wasn't created in Mario Party, he was created in Camelot's Mario Tennis, and I'm still waiting for the mysteriously absent Mario Party tunes. :p

And if I recall correctly Nintendo had to buy DK's new model (the one with the tie, not the original "naked" one which was used until early 1994) from Rare, hence why some of the early N64 games, such as Mario Kart 64, had the disclaimer in the credits "Donkey Kong 3-D model provided courtesy of Rare UK". They also bought Diddy and a few other major characters like Dixie, the Kremlings, and K Rool either then or later on (once again iirc). It was similar to how Super Mario RPG was developed by Square on Nintendo's behalf, but they still owned the new characters, music, etc they made for it.
Actually, the DK with a tie was made before Rare got involved, but he still did have that old school look.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Uh, really? So because Brawl doesn't have Mario Party music, it must mean Mario Party is owned by Hudson Soft? Well, what about the Ballyhoo & Big Top trophy? They were in Mario Party 8.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
This could work well on say Yoshi's Story (Melee or 64's I suppose) or Delfino, but I guess its not really good for fighting. It just sort of fits the background. I would suppose that most Mario Party music would have that problem. (Also doesn't help that most music is probably fairly short, given the nature of the game. )

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This could work well on say Yoshi's Story (Melee or 64's I suppose) or Delfino, but I guess its not really good for fighting. It just sort of fits the background. I would suppose that most Mario Party music would have that problem. (Also doesn't help that most music is probably fairly short, given the nature of the game. )
Suitability really is not an issue considering the Brawl soundtrack is extremely diverse. I simply cannot think of good Mario Party music as there is so many and none stick out to me at this time.

*appears out of nowhere*

Did somebody say Mario Party music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvuyuus3JO8&feature=related
Now this would work.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Speaking of Mario Party, I find it strange there has not been a new Mario Party DS which came out toward the end of 2007.

Also, on the topic of Mario Party's soundtrack, I think it would be interesting to point out that the composer for the first Mario Party was Yasunori Mitsuda, the composer of Chrono Trigger's soundtrack.

UberMario

Smash Master
Uh, really? So because Brawl doesn't have Mario Party music, it must mean Mario Party is owned by Hudson Soft? Well, what about the Ballyhoo & Big Top trophy? They were in Mario Party 8.
Here is what I said:

"Hmmm, technically that means that Konami [at least partially] owns the following notable series which could be represented"

They developed it, so don't they technically own many of the parts of the series that they created? I didn't say Nintendo didn't own any part of the MP series. I haven't really gone too deep into how video game companies work so I'm not going to say I was right, it was just a guess that they partially own MP.

And as for songs that could work in Smash Bros:

Delfino Plaza:
Mario Party: Into the Mushroom Forest (This is most likely what the "Mushroom Forest" beta song in Brawl was, not SMRPG's Beware the Forest Mushrooms, though I do prefer the latter)
Mario Party: Yoshi's Tropical Island

Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 or Luigi's Mansion:
Mario Party 3: Creepy Cavern
Luigi's Mansion:
Mario Party: Full Of Danger
Mario Party: Luigi's Engine Room
(Ok, it doesn't really fit Luigi's Mansion, but I doubt Luigi would get another stage)
Mario Party 2: Horror Land
Mario Party 2: No Fright, No Fear
Mario Party 3: Waluigi's Island
A Super Mario Galaxy stage:
Mario Party: Eternal Star
Mario Party 2: Space Land
Bowser's Castle:
Mario Party: Dodging Danger
Mario Party 2: Bowser Land
Not sure:
Mario Party: Saving Courage
Mario Party DS: Boss Battle

I mostly play 1-3 so that's why I haven't listed anything (other than the last one) that is after that, since I haven't really heard the later soundtracks.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
I wanna get into the conversation! But.... I have no idea how. D:

*hides back into usual lurking position*

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking of Mario Party, I find it strange there has not been a new Mario Party DS which came out toward the end of 2007.

Also, on the topic of Mario Party's soundtrack, I think it would be interesting to point out that the composer for the first Mario Party was Yasunori Mitsuda, the composer of Chrono Trigger's soundtrack.
From what I gather Nintendo had the intention of developing another Mario Party for the Wii, but that idea transformed into Wii Party. Give it some time and we will probably see a Mario Party 3DS.

On that last note I was not aware of that. That is pretty cool.

I wanna get into the conversation! But.... I have no idea how. D:

*hides back into usual lurking position*
You already have. :D

Just continue rolling with the current topic, Mario Party.

UberMario

Smash Master
I think it would be interesting to point out that the composer for the first Mario Party was Yasunori Mitsuda, the composer of Chrono Trigger's soundtrack.
Speaking of big composers, the composer of Super Mario RPG's soundtrack, Yoko Shimomura, also did music for the following games:

-Little Nemo
-Street Fighter II
-The Mario & Luigi series
-The Kingdom Hearts series

Not that means much in terms of what songs can get in[to SSB4] and what can't, I just thought it was interesting to note.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
You already have. :D

Just continue rolling with the current topic, Mario Party.
Okay xD

Only problem is that I haven't actually played many Mario Parties, only 4-5 at a McDonalds many many years ago and Mario Party DS. :/

I'd think that if Bomberman managed to get in SSB4, then we'd most definitely see more Mario Party rep, due to the slight connection Hudson has to Mario Party. Maybe the epic music or even an item would be nice.
but it'd be auto-banned due to being too 'broken'; I mean, it's Mario PARTY! *shot'd*

Speaking of big composers, the composer of Super Mario RPG's soundtrack, Yoko Shimomura, also did music for the following games:

-Little Nemo
-Street Fighter II
-The Mario & Luigi series
-The Kingdom Hearts series

Not that means much in terms of what songs can get in[to SSB4] and what can't, I just thought it was interesting to note.
Really? O.O The other games are a shock but Little Nemo? Wow.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.

UberMario

Smash Master
Okay xD

Only problem is that I haven't actually played many Mario Parties, only 4-5 at a McDonalds many many years ago and Mario Party DS. :/

I'd think that if Bomberman managed to get in SSB4, then we'd most definitely see more Mario Party rep, due to the slight connection Hudson has to Mario Party. Maybe the epic music or even an item would be nice.
but it'd be auto-banned due to being too 'broken'; I mean, it's Mario PARTY! *shot'd*

Really? O.O The other games are a shock but a Little Nemo game? Wow.
You should listen to the music from the Little Nemo game, it has that classic Capcom feel that most chiptune-lovers enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJh_0L-258&feature=related

I'd pay $20 for it to be ported to the VC, since I no longer have an NES. ._.

An item would be interesting, item cube?
I think a Warp Block would be an interesting item, or a Bowser Suit, but the latter would be too difficult to program, considering it's a bowse costume with the character's head sticking out.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
You should listen to the music from the Little Nemo game, it has that classic Capcom feel that most chiptune-lovers enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJh_0L-258&feature=related

I'd pay $20 for it to be ported to the VC, since I no longer have an NES. ._.
That is just epic. Definitely has a Capcomy feel to it, and I've heard the gameplay is good. :p

Even though I'm new to the thread, I'm not going through the trouble of creating a wishlist of characters I want in SSB4. I've seen the drama on this thread after almost a year of lurking, so I won't bother.
I still want Takamaru in Smash after hearing about his Samurai Warriors 3 appearance, though. :3

UberMario

Smash Master

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
@UberMario

Leave Mario Party 4-8 to me. ;)

Mario Party 4:
Shy Guy's Jungle Jam
The Long Road Up

Mario Party 5:
Big Bowser Battle
Space Match

Mario Party 6:
Gaming With Bowser

Mario Party 7:
Bowser's Revenge
Park It

Mario Party 8:
Koopa's Tycoon Town
Last Match

I'm sure there are a couple that would work nicely, but what do you think? :)

Took longer to find these than I thought.
Only listened for a brief moment, but I agree. They're all really great and fitting for Smash. ;)

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Now... there isn't much else we could really cover about Mario Party, is there? Except for stages, but it could easily be a compilation of certain Mario Party locations.

...if that's the case, then NEXT TOPIC! (Unless someone wants to make a Mario Party Stage) ...if we even have one topic to talk about ._.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Now what type of Mario Party stage would work? I was thinking Peach's Birthday Cake from the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom