• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
La la la, I'm back here for a couple of comments~

Okay, I still haven't played Mother M yet, since I'm waiting to just get it for my birthday, so I can't comment on anything there. I have spoiled myself to some extent, and from a basic description (aka I haven't seen it, I've just heard about it) I think that Section 0 place may be a good spot for a stage in Smash 4. Of course, I have no clue what its really like, so I'm not going to commit any strong opinions to that statement.

Okay, next off, I've been following this Pokemon B/W stuff, and while I don't propose this as a real idea, if there were to be a Pokemon Trainer that basically did things like the one from Brawl, I'd say Smugleaf's first form, Wotter's second form, and Pignite's third form would probably be the best use of them all in that type of situation.

EDIT: Oh yes, as far as Mario 64 getting a stage to represent it in a new Smash, I guess its possible, but I wouldn't think its likely. Mario has a lot of ground to cover, what with SMG1/2 and NSMBW, not to mention its potential spin off stages. I'm willing to bet that there will be a retro stage, but SM64 getting that spot is kind of out there, in my opinion.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
id liek to see bomberman, megaman, some bowser baybiez, battletoads, knuckles, tails.

more improvements on the online and stage builder as well.

and also maybe character creation? maybe...
Battletoads....YES.....lol. The running attack with the ram horns would be boss. The giant fists and big boot would be great.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
I think Toad would be better in SSB4 if he was used using Mario 2 as his format. Toad should be quick, with item-based range specials, but bad at jumping. His final smash would be item based using the Super mario 3 block (at the end of the stage where there's a block that gives you a random item) which would be a gamble between, a pow block, a fire-flower on steroids, banzai bill, or a thwomp.

Marisa~Kirisame

Smash Rookie
Say what? Fox and Falco aren't that close anymore, and Wolf is nowhere near either of them.

Is this speculation/hope or has another one been confirmed or hinted at?

On topic, random tripping needs to die, but stuff like the banana tripping is a pretty cool addition to the game imo.
I always laughed when I randoly tripped. xD. Bu random tripping needs to die O_o. But you're right, I like tripping others with the banana peel, but I think there should be rando tripping on the ice though. It makes sence. On the killing topic, I need to kill my M key. It's being such an arse right now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd be disappointed and pissed if Slippy gets in SSB4 because of Star Fox 64 3D. I don't want four Landmasters. Smash needs more original characters and less clones. As a matter of fact, I don't want new clones in SSB4.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Slippy doesn't have to be a clone. That was never stated.

I'm fine with clones if they're just filler, but a proper character like Ganon deserves a real move set.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I'd be disappointed and pissed if Slippy gets in SSB4 because of Star Fox 64 3D. I don't want four Landmasters. Smash needs more original characters and less clones. As a matter of fact, I don't want new clones in SSB4.
Slippy wouldn't get in. He's got more of a hate crown than Krystal (and if he doesn't know, he will after everyone remembers how Effing annoying he is in 64...I vote Peppy for SSB4 Clone.

P.S. clones be fly.

Slippy doesn't have to be a clone. That was never stated.

I'm fine with clones if they're just filler, but a proper character like Ganon deserves a real move set.
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
LOL, didn't anyone hear the convos between Slippy, Peppy and Krystal in Brawl? Old Timers like Peppy ride the bench, and if Slippy was in he would be extremely annoying. I agree with what Krystal said; she's the one with the most fighting potential lol.

Anyway, I remember thinking about K.Rool being a Smash Bro. before Brawl came out. You know how he changes during his fight in DKC? He gets faster and he jumps higher. What if they put that idea into Smash--he'll be a heavyweight who increases in speed and jump height after taking enough damage. It is similar to Lucario, but to tell the truth I thought about that for Rool before Lucario was leaked.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Who said Slippy has to be a clone? He can have a original movest, especially since he's more mechanical. Also, I fail to see how he'll have a Landmaster. =P

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Who said Slippy has to be a clone? He can have a original movest, especially since he's more mechanical. Also, I fail to see how he'll have a Landmaster. =P
If any StarFox character was going to have a landmaster, it would be Slippy. Fox and Falco would have made more sense if they had their arwings... but that's neither here nor there. That's not to say that his moveset wouldn't be different - ha, I can't imagine him having a "fire up B" or some fast side B - but like the others, he also has nearly no precedent for "brawl-type combat". Here's to hoping that if he is included, he's relatively and appropriately different.

However, Birthnote has a good point - referencing the in-game brawl conversations lol. Krystal has the best chance of having the most unique moveset for a StarFox character, considering the similarities of the current representatives and a distinct in-series movepool. (Although Fox had pretty much the same abilities in Adventures, but I highly doubt they'll change him)

Truth be told, I think the StarFox characters that are in smash now are just different enough from each other to be interesting, but their final smashes need more variation.

Edit -- in response to the above comment
I haven't tried out Crusade since they did their Krystal, so I don't know about its moves and stuff. I should probably check that out... not to mention the other interesting characters that are SSB4 viable in that game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's right, Chronobound! Star Fox doesn't need four characters. I am starting to think that Star Fox should have just Fox and Wolf. Really, the only reason why Falco and Wolf were added in Smash in the first place was because they were last-minute filler clones added to make the roster appear bigger. Now, the reason why I say we lose Falco and keep Wolf is that Falco is just one of Fox's four sidekicks - what makes him more important than the others? Nothing, he's just very popular. Wolf, at least, is Fox's rival, but we don't need any of Wolf's sidekicks either. Sakurai needs to stop adding new Star Fox characters as last-minute filler clones but I'm pretty sure he won't stop. I think he is biased towards Star Fox, seeing how he said he wanted to make a new Star Fox game for the 3DS but decided to make a new Kid Icarus game instead.

However, if we are going to get a new Star Fox character, I pick Krystal but I want her to be completely different from Fox and his clones even though I don't want Krystal. I also want one of Fox's clones to be removed (I pick Falco) to make room for Krystal.

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna try and defend Falco's case here by saying that Sonic was chosen for Brawl solely on popularity. He had pretty much no potential for moves because all he does is run around and jump and collect rings. Sonic was added because he was number 1 on a poll for the most deserving character to be in Brawl, and Sakurai agreed to put him in since he tries to please the people (save for tripping, Masterpieces, Landmasters, and Meta Knight.) Since Falco can actually fight, just de-clone him by letting him use his rocket launcher or something. I know this much, SOMEBODY from Star Fox better use an Arwing in SSB4. While he's not as deserving as Diddy Kong, he's more deserving than others...

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Sonic [...] had pretty much no potential for moves because all he does is run around and jump and collect rings.
Captain Falcon's moveset was made up. Ness stole PSI powers in Smash, so did Lucas. Peach was only whoring for help all the time before Melee (with one exception of SMB2, but that features from that game couldn't fill all fer B attacks).
Sorry, but I don't think it works like that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's a bad tradition. SSB, add Fox. SSBM, add Falco. SSBB, add Wolf. SSB4, add Krystal. SSB5, add Slippy. SSB6, add Peppy. SSB7, add ROB64... and so on. Smash does not need any more Star Fox characters, especially when it is not a major franchise compared to Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon... and especially when all the characters are clones of Fox. Like I said before, replace Falco (or Wolf) with Krystal and make her not a clone of Fox and we are good to go - otherwise, she can yiff in hell.

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
I think that the idea of getting the weaker of Nintendo's SSB-represented franchises more characters would be a good idea.
Mario has potential for one or two more *cough-TOAD and BOWSER JR.- cough*, but I'm talking mainly of its sub-series, Yoshi and Donkey Kong, and possibly Wario. The Legend of Zelda has managed to survive on 5 characters, I'll let it slide that one more wouldn't hurt. Metroid needs somebody. I'm sure inside your Wiis, Samus is crying begging for Ridley to "Join The Brawl!"

Kirby is a trouble spot, because... Well... Sakurai likes his characters' Smash debuts to be at the top of Tier lists (Check). He's going to stick with that if he can, so we don't want that, but for a 3-time Smasher, Kirby's series needs more attention still, in my opinion.

Now Star Fox is the House O' Clones as I call it. Fox and Falco are semi-clones, and Wolf is reminiscent of clone-ness. Their Final Smashes are all the same, but Falco's is the most fun (The hovering instant KO exploit). That being said, Falco should be changed a bunch INSTEAD of being cut (Wolf could manage as he is), because 3 probably won't cut it for Star Fox. A series full of fighters, and we have 3 in SSB4. Come on now, people.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
There's nothing wrong with clones.

Why would you cut Falco, and any future multiple clones so you can add in a single character?

I'd rather have 3-5 semi-clones than 1 unique character :dizzy:

Eagle_Eyes

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3583-1774-9356
Well I haven't put much thought into it. But I would probably most like to see without thinking about it is

Waluigi & Zant. :D Zant would be beast haha!

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
That's a bad tradition. SSB, add Fox. SSBM, add Falco. SSBB, add Wolf. SSB4, add Krystal. SSB5, add Slippy. SSB6, add Peppy. SSB7, add ROB64... and so on. Smash does not need any more Star Fox characters, especially when it is not a major franchise compared to Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon... and especially when all the characters are clones of Fox. Like I said before, replace Falco (or Wolf) with Krystal and make her not a clone of Fox and we are good to go - otherwise, she can yiff in hell.
Dude, your making no sense whatsoever. If your saying that, then Metroid doesn't deserve a character either, since it's definately not as MAJOR as the series' you mentioned. Heck even Kirby, Earthbound, F-Zero, there not major, so I guess with your logic they don't deserve another character either, right? :ohwell:

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Personally, I like seeing all the third party characters and some of the not-so-popular ones, I don't know about you guys. ;)

Actually, Joanna Dark would be a cool addition, in my opinion. (From Perfect Dark)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Call me crazy but I'm coming to where I don't want to see a Smash Bros 4! On top of that I am not too confident there is much more they can really do with the series outside of a portable installment. I guess what I am saying is I believe Smash Bros may be a series that comes to an end.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, you have MvC3 coming up so that may be why you don't want to see a SSB4.

I'd like to see one, but one that's a proper evolution of the series. If it doesn't end that way, I'll still have Street Fighter as my go to fighter.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, you have MvC3 coming up so that may be why you don't want to see a SSB4.

I'd like to see one, but one that's a proper evolution of the series. If it doesn't end that way, I'll still have Street Fighter as my go to fighter.
It's possible all of the MvC3 hype is alienating me from the Smash series. Honestly though I just don't see what they can do next? We are running out of good characters and series and the more I see the Brawl hacking community the more I see how gimped the gameplay is in Brawl. I guess after looking at the community over at Gamefaqs has me viewing things a little bleakly. :\

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I guess I should say join the club, because you know how I feel about Brawl's gameplay. Still, I will forever insist that there is a lot of potential that can be expanded on the game's basic concepts.

I think part of the problem with the series is that it's trying so hard to provide as much fanservice without putting in enough substance in the engine. Of course, I've said this several times. To me, I'd say adding in 17 characters in Brawl was just overboard.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I guess I should say join the club, because you know how I feel about Brawl's gameplay. Still, I will forever insist that there is a lot of potential that can be expanded on the game's basic concepts.

I think part of the problem with the series is that it's trying so hard to provide as much fanservice without putting in enough substance in the engine. Of course, I've said this several times. To me, I'd say adding in 17 characters in Brawl was just overboard.
In my opinion, I think the biggest downfall of Brawl was misplaced priorities. I think they focused so much on things like Subspace Emissary and collectibles that they failed to establish the essentials like Wi-fi. Brawl's physics came about due to Sakurai's desire for more aerial combat, this was stated from the very start. That is why the game was slower because they wanted to change the way it flowed. Was it for the better? Probably not. Is it something they will fix? Maybe.

BTW Kuma, Wes Phillips is going to be doing some venue in a few hours. Looks like we may get some MvC3 news sooner than expected.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In Sakurai's defense, he said from the beginning that there wasn't a whole lot he could do, given NWC's limitations, especially for a game where a lot happens at any given moment (obviously not applying to tournaments).

I'm sorta okay with aerial emphasis, but we all saw how that turned out. In retrospect, it probably wasn't a good idea because you throw the balance on the game's aspects into the whack. It also gets rid of some people preferring to fight on the ground. Due to my experiences within the last two years, I'm starting to think that the aerial emphasis might've been better handled if aerial combat was reminiscent of Marvel. It'd almost be like DBZ fights.

I'll check that Marvel stuff in the morning.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dude, your making no sense whatsoever. If your saying that, then Metroid doesn't deserve a character either, since it's definately not as MAJOR as the series' you mentioned. Heck even Kirby, Earthbound, F-Zero, there not major, so I guess with your logic they don't deserve another character either, right? :ohwell:
Yeah, you got it right. I actually think that Kirby, EarthBound, F-Zero, and Metroid don't need any more characters. Kirby is complete with its three main characters. EarthBound is complete with its two main protagonists (Mother 2 and Mother 3) and Ness even looks exactly like Ninten that he practically represents Mother 1, too! F-Zero is pretty much dead right now and all of the characters in that series would have to have completely made up moves like Captain Falcon since they are all always driving in their cars. Metroid has Samus in and out of her suit and all the other characters are either too big or are always getting killed off.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Yeah, you got it right. I actually think that Kirby, EarthBound, F-Zero, and Metroid don't need any more characters. Kirby is complete with its three main characters. EarthBound is complete with its two main protagonists (Mother 2 and Mother 3) and Ness even looks exactly like Ninten that he practically represents Mother 1, too! F-Zero is pretty much dead right now and all of the characters in that series would have to have completely made up moves like Captain Falcon since they are all always driving in their cars. Metroid has Samus in and out of her suit and all the other characters are either too big or are always getting killed off.
Oh Lord. :rolleyes: If your going with MAIN PROTAGONISTS, then in all honesty, Mario and Zelda don't need a new character (though Toad would be nice), WITH YOUR LOGIC, no character would be worthy of SSB4. Are you just saying this cuz you don't care about the series'? Cuz that's what it seems like.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Fire Emblem doesn't deserve more characters.
not really, but:
"Dis serie don't ned moar chactors!! It haz enuf alradey!" makes no sense. SSB4 will be on newer platform and if Nintendo will finally make a technologically advanced console that will be up to 8th generation standards, we'll get load of characters. I see you don't tolerate 3rd parties. It can be explained why you don't like them (SSB was about Nintendo, etc etc), but well-known Nintendo series? What is this

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You got it, Sherlock. :rolleyes: I really don't care about Star Fox but I do care about how many characters Star Fox gets in Smash because I really care a lot about Smash! Look, I really dislike how all of Star Fox characters have the same moves (even if they are barely any different) that I'm against Star Fox getting a new character in case that new character ends up as yet another clone of Fox. I don't need three or four different ways of playing with Fox's moveset. Fox having only one clone was tolerable but I think Fox having two or three clones is rubbish. Star Fox is not a big franchise like Mario that it warrants four characters, especially when three of them are the same. Like I said before, dump Falco or Wolf to make room for Krystal and make Krystal not a clone of Fox or she can yiff in hell.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
You got it, Sherlock. :rolleyes: I really don't care about Star Fox but I do care about how many characters Star Fox gets in Smash because I really care a lot about Smash! Look, I really dislike how all of Star Fox characters have the same moves (even if they are barely any different) that I'm against Star Fox getting a new character in case that new character ends up as yet another clone of Fox. I don't need three or four different ways of playing with Fox's moveset. Fox having only one clone was tolerable but I think Fox having two or three clones is rubbish. Star Fox is not a big franchise like Mario that it warrants four characters, especially when three of them are the same. Like I said before, dump Falco or Wolf to make room for Krystal and make Krystal not a clone of Fox or she can yiff in hell.
So how does that add up? They don't deserve a character cuz YOU don't like that there clones? Sorry to tell you this, but that isn't a reason for a character to not be in, Falco and Wolf are sort of the same as Fox, but not exactly, I can see what your saying, but that's not reason enough for another character to not be in.

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
I think it's important we consider that Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are the biggest franchises Nintendo has going at the moment. Well, that and Pokemon, which already has the Pokemon Company to deal with that stuff.. But I think SSB games should be a place where it doesn't matter which franchise is most popular, and every famous Nintendo series gets equal (or at least within range of one another) representation. Who cares if they haven't updated a certain series in a few years? I mean, 19 years, and maybe they can consider the boot. Sound good?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I think it's important we consider that Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are the biggest franchises Nintendo has going at the moment. Well, that and Pokemon, which already has the Pokemon Company to deal with that stuff..
Source: Nintendo [as of September 2009]:
Total Super Mario series:
more than 222 million units sold worldwide
Total Zelda series: more than 59 million units worldwide
Total Metroid series: more than 15 million units worldwide
Total Pokémon series: more than 197 million units worldwide
Total Donkey Kong series: more than 49 million units worldwide

guest;nintendo, if you're curious how to get in

You're right about the "popularity doesn't matter that much" bit, but Metroid is pretty far down the ladder here. Wario and Kirby are above it, for starters.

And yeah even Zelda and DK look like crap compared to Mario/Pokemon/Wii ____ series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom