• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Playing Mario Kart is sort of like this random scenario...

You're working really hard to finish something you've been working on ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT.

A catch!

To do it at all, you have to pick from a group of fire jugglers and have one do his fire juggling right next to you. The one you pick may or may not be experienced. And if he isn't, he'll drop his fire on what you're doing, and it'll go up in flames in your face so you can start over.

._. So the blue shell is okay, I've seen worse, but it's not GOOD.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL I used to play Mario Kart: Double Dash!! a lot. I was so good at snaking that I actually managed to dodge a Blue Shell once in a while. I remember having an intense race with my kid cousin and his friend - this friend and I were usually in the lead and we would try to snake around turns, items, and each other toward the finish line. LOL It was crazy fun. :)

Anyway, it is a bit of a challenge to find a Final Smash that suits Toad well. Does he get on his racing kart and start driving around and throwing banana peels and shells around? Or does he collect Star Bits with the Toad Brigade as Star Bits start to rain all over the stage? Or does he summon Wanda to appear and cause bombs to rain all over the stage like in the Super Sudden Death tiebreaker match? Or does he just pull out a giant Vegetable that covers almost the whole screen and throws it to knock opponents off the stage? Or does Toad mysteriously contract the Blorbs and temporarily grows into a giant rolling ball?

As for Toad's playstyle, I am thinking that a lot of grabbing/picking-up/throwing opponents would be involved as that is Toad's own thing thanks to SMB2, WW, and NSMBWii. All the spin-off games that Toad has been playable in, he is always portrayed as a speedy lightweight and this should apply in Smash as well. I am thinking that he might be small and light like Olimar but almost as fast as Captain Falcon (if not almost as fast as Sonic).

Toad is the strongest (also, fastest) when it comes to picking up enemies and the worst jumper in SMB2 and this should apply in Smash, too. Toad should be able to pick up opponents very quickly and be able to carry them around like Donkey Kong can. He would also have subpar jumps but I think the Propeller Mushroom should help his recovery (up+B).

Toad has very short limbs like Kirby's so he wouldn't be good at punching but he has these big feet like Kirby's that he could have kicks instead. Toad was also able to kick enemies/bombs in Wario's Woods! His big mushroom hat looks useful for headbutts so I think Toad could have headbutts like Yoshi does. So, kicks and headbutts for his regular attacks would be good for Toad, don't you guys agree?

Since Toad is very light, he can get knocked off the stage very easily. To compensate this, Toad should have a counter attack move and that's where the Poison Mushroom comes in. Press the B button and Toad would pull out the Poison Mushroom in front of him to block and counter enemy attacks. Like Peach's Toad move where Toad sprays spores at the enemy, Toad's Poison Mushroom would explode and spray poisonous spores at the enemy. The enemy is affected with gradual poisoning for about five seconds.

I have already mentioned that Toad's recovery move is the Propeller Mushroom... but it is good for vertical recovery, not for horizontal recovery. This is where the Golden Mushroom comes in. Much like how the Golden Mushrooms (and Mushrooms in general) would boost your kart forward even if you didn't press the accelerate button, this Side+B move will just launch Toad through the air. You also have two ways to use this Golden Mushroom. If you tap the B button, Toad will just zip across like Fox's Side+B move and if he bumps an opponent, that opponent will just trip with only 5% damage. If you hold down the B button and then release it, Toad will charge and zip across like Ike's Side+B move and if he bumps into an opponent, Toad will tackle them with a bigger knockback with up to 20% damage.

Toad's small arms make it harder for Toad to grab an opponent, especially when he is very small and light that the opponent would just knock Toad off the stage that easily. To compensate this, Toad's Down+B move would make Toad quickly jump and land on the opponent and immediately picks up the opponent like they were light as a feather. This move can also be done in the air so it serves as a mid-air grab (a first for Smash!). Toad can throw the opponent at other opponents or off the stage.

TL;DR? This is my current Toad moveset

A moves: kicks and headbutts.
B: Poison Mushroom
Side + B: Golden Mushroom
Up + B: Propeller Mushroom
Down + B: Pick Up
Final Smash: undecided

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That blue shell is an awful item, whoever came up with the idea to implement that item needs to be reprimanded. I hate getting it and hate being at the receiving end of it. What benefit does it bring to you if your in 8th place? Nothing! It's only purpose is to make the player in the lead miserable. No way to dodge it or to block. All I'm going to say is it better not rear its ugly mug in MK3DS or no sale. HEAR THAT NINTENDO? NO SALE!

I feel better now.:)

To keep it on topic no blue shells for SSB4.
OMG! I thought the Blue Shells would be great for Smash! It would be something like Warp Star, only it causes a big blue explosion when it lands. Hey, at least I didn't suggest that it be like Dragoon! :p

Have anyone thought up of new items for Smash? Ice Flower would be like Fire Flower, only it freezes enemies like the Ice Climbers's Down+B move. POW Block seems like a good item for Smash, it would make everyone except the thrower knocked off the stage like in the original SSB's Mushroom Kingdom stage. As for Zelda items, I think the Bombchu would be cool where it would move along the stage much like the Hothead item and it would explode if it collides with a character. What other items to add? What about the Ultra Hand? It is a toy Nintendo made in the 1960's and it recently got a WiiWare game. The Ultra Hand could function as an auto-tether recovery move where if you are unable to reach the ledge after using the Up+B move, the item automatically activates and grabs the ledge and pulls you to it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've always liked that Ultra Hand idea.

Anyway, I can't see Toad doing so many kicks considering that his legs are virtually non-existent which you could say explains his poor jumping. At least we can both agree on a general play style on him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am working on Toad's A moves. This is what I came up with...

A: a simple kick
A+A: kicks with the other foot
Side+A: Toad kicks with both feet and he falls on his back like Olimar's
Up+A: a weak spin-jump like Olimar's
Down+A: a weak headbutt

Smash Side+A: strong headbutt in front like Yoshi's
Smash Up+A: Toad pulls out a coin from the ground (SMB2) and quickly throws it upward; the coin spins rapidly and can hit the opponent multiple times for a second before it disappears
Smash Down+A: Toad pulls out a tennis racket and swings it around

Aerial A: flying kick
Aerial Forward+A: flying headbutt like Yoshi's
Aerial Backward+A: Toad flips over and kicks like Lucas's
Aerial Up+A: flying headbutt like Lucas's
Aerial Down+A: spin jump with punches like Mario Tornado or a ground pound like Yoshi's down+B move (I am torn between the two)

Grab: what it says
Pummel: headbutt
Forward Throw: Toad picks up the opponent and carries them like Donkey Kong's forward throw
Backward Throw: Toad spins the opponent and throws them like Mario's backward throw
Up Throw: Toad lifts the opponent, jumps and kicks the opponent upward like Mario did in Super Mario World
Down Throw: Toad slams the opponent on the floor and performs a quick ground pound on them

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
B: Mushroom
Toad throws a Mushroom at the foe, the mushrooms are at random, so each one will do something else.

Mushroom - Normal damage (5%) (Commom)
Poison Mushroom - Plants a flower on your head for additional damage (5% +flower) (Commom)
Life Mushroom - Stuns (5%) (Commom)
Bee Mushroom - Makes foe use there B Up move. (6%) (Commom)
Boo Mushroom - Heals Toad by 5% and gives the foe 5% damage. (Uncommom)
Spring Mushroom - Hurls foe in the air (10%) (Uncommom)
Reverse Mushroom - Reverses controls (8%) (Uncommom)
Volt Shroom - Stuns them if there on the ground (8-10%) (Uncommom)
King Mushroom - Does a HUGE amount of damage (30%) (Rare)
1-Up Mushroom - OHKO's foe (300%) (Rare)

Side B: Starman
Star. We all know Toad is famous for giving stars to players on Mario Party, right? Well, this time it's different. He hurls the stars at you for a nice thick amount of damage. It doesn't give invinciblity, just damage. You can charge it to make it go further.

Up B: Toad Kart 64
Kart 64. Remember the kart from the old N64 days? Well, when hurled, Toad jumps into his car and screams "YAHOO" and Toad can cruise around nice and fast. It also can bounce if you press A AND shoot shells, bananas, and other other crazy items. His car doesn't break like Wario's, but if your hit, you get kicked out of your car. While kicked out, anyone of your enemies can ride the car, YES anyone can drive the car. Toad has 8 different karts (MK64), so there's different color karts. As stated above, Toad can shoot items from his kart as well, what items? Let's see:

Item
On MK, it's possible for players to shoot items, which ironically, is equipped with Toad while on his kart.

Green Shell: Shoot it and the player will fly in the air (Mario Kart 64)
Triple Green Shells: Same as Green Shell, except there's 3 of them.
Red Shell: It can follow a player and hit them (Mario Kart 64)
Triple Red Shells: Same as Red Shell.
Banana: A little different than on SSBB, remember how a player would trip so far as to fall off the course? Mainly on MK64 Well same as Toad's item, you can spin out far enough to fall of the course.
3-5 Bananas: Same as banana.
Cape Feather: Makes player spin in the air, sort of like Wario's Corckscrew (Arc's idea =P)
Boo: Player can steal a item hold by a foe (ex: Final Smash, Beam Sword, etc)
Spiny Shell (MKWII): Homes on the player in 1st, it does massive damage and it's hard to dodge.
Spiny Shell (MK64): Hits all players (except the user of course)
Fake Item Box: Throw it and a player will recieve normal damage (5-8%)
Thunder Cloud: Toad gets a Thundercloud and he has to transfer it to someone else or he'll shrink.
Thunderbolt: Shrinks all players except the user.
Bullet Bill: Toad turns into a Bullet Bill and he gets to hit anyone who gets in his way. It does a good 20%.
Star: The user becomes invinicible for 7 seconds, the user can bump into anyone for damage.
Blooper: Blooper goes on the screen and blocks the player's view with ink.
Bob-omb: Throw it and it explodes just like a normal Bob-omb.
Heart: Protects Toad from any items twice.
Mushroom: Gives Toad a little speed boost
Triple Mushrooms: Same as Mushroom, except there's 3.
Golden Mushroom: Infinite Mushroom that gives Toad unlimited boosts for a limited time.

Down B: Giant Mushroom
Remember those giant mushrooms from Mushroom Gorge? Well Toad plants one and it sprouts up. Anyone caught in the sprout recives damage and gets shot up (kinda like Dr. Wright) After it's done sprouting, anyone can bounce off of it freely.

Final Smash: Starshroom
Starshroom. Toad and the Brigade bring out some starshrooms and starts shooting people. The rest of the starshrooms you can't control, but you can control the one Toad's in. You may shoot, slam, float around, and much more while on the starshroom. However, it only lasts like 10 seconds, so be sure to do as much damage as possible

OK, I improved it guys, the only problem with the items is I don't know how you would be able to use them... Any ideas? If so, my Toad movest will be fully complete, besides the fact I need a Fighting movest as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I guess. I remember the Porky discussions in the past, and I think he could work, but only if he had a mech like Tron Bonne does. Sure, you could scale the machine down, but you'll end up scaling down Porky which would create a gigantic inconsistency with his height in comparison to Ness and Lucas.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL I was kinda waiting for someone like Kuma to comment on my ideas for Toad's A moves. :p I liked some of his moveset suggestions and constructive criticism. I particularly like my ideas for Toad's smash up (SMB2 coin) and up throw (SMW throw) but I'm conflicted with his aerial down (be like Mario Tornado or be like Yoshi's Down Special?).

As for the mech thing for Porky, yes, it would be very weird to scale down Porky's mech when it means Porky himself ends up no bigger than the Mother boys' heads. I think Sakurai had it right when he made Porky into a boss.

Hey, maybe Bowser Jr. can be a boss like Porky where he controls one of his mechs from Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, or NSMBWii! I don't think all the bosses will come back so I thought that Bowser Jr. in one of his mechs could make a good replacement boss for Porky. I'm also thinking that by replacing Porky with Bowser Jr., Giygas (at least the Mother 1 version) could show up as a boss.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, if you want to critcism, I guess I can say that it makes no sense to give Toad's kicks when his legs have never been seen outside of Mario Party one. Overall, it seems a bit uninspired.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Well that is true but Toad has used his legs to give strong kicks in Wario's Woods and the Mario strikers games (though I think the latter game (series) would give some more variety for his kicks). Also, another aerial down special that could also work would be Toad having his mushroom head facing to the ground (though I guess it would be similar to Pikachu's aerial down). The ground pound could work though for him. Though I personally think Toad's basic aerial should be a spin jump for simiplicity.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ahh, that's right. I cannot believe I forgot about that! Toads can kick in Mario Strikers games. Wouldn't that make sense for Toad to use kicks in Smash? I mean, Toads clearly can kick just as good as everyone does in those Mario Strikers games... that, in additon to Wario's Woods where we first saw Toad kicking stuff around.

Also, let's not forget that Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Jigglypuff have no legs, just feet, and they were still able to kick just as good as everyone does in Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here's the thing though: Compare how Mario kicks to those characters and Toad. If Toad is going to use his feet for attacks, it'll have to be like the puffballs kick or he would be kicking like he would be kicking a soccer ball. It'd make more sense to make a kick move a FSmash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It doesn't matter how weird or strange Toad looks when he kicks. The point is, Toad is able to kick. Well, what do you suggest for Toad's A moves if Toad cannot have kicks for some of his A moves?

Also WTH? A kick as a Final Smash? That's lame. :( Do you want people to be underwhelmed and be angry at Toad for being lame when they should have had Bowser Jr. or Geno or something?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You do know that Toad has arms right? I think he could use, what's that word again? Oh yeah, punches.

I suggest you get your Smash terminology updated as FSmash does not mean Final Smash. It means Forward Smash.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Five days of nothing but Toad moveset discussion. You guys are good at making me hate characters I actually like. Also kinda surprised no one compared his body shape to Olimar.

In a really weak attempt to change the subject, I wonder if the inevitable Wuhu Island stage will essentially be Delfino II or if they'll do something cool. Fight on the blimb with biplane platforms or something maybe. Or jetskis. I like those.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Im all for subject change...so, uh, wacha guys think about the Yarn Kirby as a choice of character/AT

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's see if we can make Toise hate Doc Louis by discussing him for five days. LOL :p

I can actually see Wuhu Island appearing as a stage in Smash 4. Nintendo seems to love that island so much that they put it in Mario Kart 3DS and PilotWings 3DS so I wouldn't be surprised if the island showed up as a stage in Smash 4.

I still think Mii would be perfect as a playable character. Personally, I think the customizable appearance is good but the moveset itself is not customizable. Sakurai comes up with the moveset for the Mii as well as the "main" default appearance of the Mii (it could look like Miyamoto as an inside joke that fans used to ask for Miyamoto to be a playable character in Brawl) but we get the option of editing Mii's appearance.

Yarn Kirby as a playable character? :( Do we really need another version of Kirby? Or are we just desperate for more Kirby characters now that all the main Kirby characters are already playable? Why stop at Yarn Kirby? Why not put in Yarn King Dedede as well? He is in Kirby's Epic Yarn, too, you know. Like I said in the other post, why stop at Paper Mario? Why not put in Paper Luigi, Paper Peach, and Paper Bowser instead of Toad and Bowser Jr.? :rolleyes:

This almost reminds me of how we almost got Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik in Brawl. Sakurai must have been so desperate for more Zelda characters that he considered making up a completely original character (Toon Sheik) to go with Toon Zelda (another last-minute clone just like Young Link was in Melee).

Toad's kick as a Smash Side+A move? Whew! Thanks for clarifying that! I like it better than the headbutt move. I'm gonna update my Toad moveset. It is also funny that Toise mentioned that no one compared Toad's body frame to Olimar's... that's how I came up with Toad's Side+A, Up+A, and Down+A. :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What about a side scrolling level based on Donkey Kong Returns. The first level? Enembies/Obsticals and item holes all there. Speaking of DKR, last time I checked we have yet to see Dixie or K rool. D: I hope they aren't trying to "re-invent" the series and oust a lot of the old characters!

Outsing FTL :)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
In a really weak attempt to change the subject, I wonder if the inevitable Wuhu Island stage will essentially be Delfino II or if they'll do something cool. Fight on the blimb with biplane platforms or something maybe. Or jetskis. I like those.
I'm thinking it would be Delfino II but with some differences of course. Though if we get a Wuhu Island stage it begs the question of whether a Mii or Mii's should be playable.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, we got an Animal Crossing stage, and we all know how that turned out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Animal Crossing is gonna have a playable character (which I doubt), it should be the Animal Crosser, not Tom Nook, because the Animal Crosser is the main character. As for his not having a fixed appearance, Sakurai can just use the Animal Crosser trophy as the "main" Animal Crosser and give him other clothes (and different faces) as palette swaps.

The Animal Crosser trophy I am referring to is this one.

Which version of Animal Crosser did Nintendo put on the box cover of Animal Crossing: City Folk, the Animal Crossing game that came out right after Brawl came out? The same Animal Crossing from Brawl.

That'd be cool but Sakurai already formed his opinion that Animal Crossing characters should not fight. :ohwell:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pikachu was in the original Smash and he is 9. Kirby was in the original and he is 16. Even Donkey Kong was in the original and he is 18.

I am pretty sure that most of the newcomers are going to be placed in the higher tiers than the veterans. Look at Melee's tier list. Marth is 2. Sheik is 3. Falco is 4. Peach is 5. Ice Climbers is 8. Dr. Mario is 10. Ganondorf is 11.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Curse the toad discussion for killin the thread

Marisa~Kirisame

Smash Rookie
What about a side scrolling level based on Donkey Kong Returns. The first level? Enembies/Obsticals and item holes all there. Speaking of DKR, last time I checked we have yet to see Dixie or K rool. D: I hope they aren't trying to "re-invent" the series and oust a lot of the old characters!

Outsing FTL :)
If they re-invent the series, I will rip the game in half. Seriously, I just want the normal characters, maybe a couple of new ones, but I hope they just don't take out the old ones and make the game a peice of crap.

KungPaoChicken

Smash Rookie
id liek to see bomberman, megaman, some bowser baybiez, battletoads, knuckles, tails.

more improvements on the online and stage builder as well.

and also maybe character creation? maybe...

Marisa~Kirisame

Smash Rookie
Uh, why are you triple posting? ._.

And how do you know? Toad is strong and speedy, I think he can hold on his own. =/
Dang friends with their going on my account-ness. Anyway, I need to kill them; I agree with you. Toad was a great character in Mario Kart, so why not in Super Smash Bros? If they provide a good move set and final smash, he'll be worthy of being a SBB character.

Now, not to get ********, I think it would be funny as one of his different colors he'd be toadsworth.... But that wouldn't work because he has a cane thing, right? Hmm....
Old Toad = Toadsworth????????

And...With the Mario-ness thing going on here, I wonder if they'll make a stage of Peach's castle. And I mean inside of the castle. And there would be sections where the screen scrolls into painting and such, either that, or they make a stage in adventure mode similar to that. I want a SM64 reference. OwO~

Zebia

Smash Rookie
Stage at the top of Bob-omb Battlefield or Whomp's Fortress would be cool, nice view in the background, maybe complete with their respective bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom