• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Here's your medal for Worst Poster in this Thread ---> [M]

it really did come in handy!
:laugh:

I second this, even though the medal has already been given away. Anyway, in response to Warlord's post... WALUIGI n DIXIE KONG n SAMURAI GOROH n KRYSTAL 4 TEH SBB4!

But in all seriousness, Dixie Kong and Samurai Goroh for SSB4. :bee:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's been a long time since I've last seen someone use a response generator response on this forum. :laugh: I remember how these came up almost weekly in the various character discussion threads before Brawl came out.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Fatman
If you hadn't mentioned that, I would have forgotten about those posts.:laugh:

@augusto
Way to utilize the Feng Shui Engine.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Uh, what?

Sakurai has said that he may do another one. Also he said that the amount of characters doesn't matter. He wants to make other changes.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
the dude mr. m stated there will not be another ssb and if it des happen he dosent want anymore characters...
Uh, not quite right there. Here is what he has said:

"Anything I've considered I'll probably think about again when... or if another game was to come out in the series. And so I'd like to kind of keep a lid on [other specific game features] now and not disclose anything I've been thinking about there."

"I can't certainly say with one-hundred percent confidence that there won't be any additional Smash games ever... I'm really against the idea of creating a sequel that would merely add modes or increase the number of characters in the roster. All those things that simply fatten up the game are things I'd like to avoid if a sequel ever came out."

Sakurai never said there won't be another Smash. He's even acknowledged that it is possible, but at the same time he's implying that there aren't any current plans for a sequel to Brawl... which is a bit obvious anyway.

Also he never said he didn't want anymore characters. He said making a sequel that would do that and ONLY that is something he is against. I have no doubt that he'll add characters in a future installment, but what he is saying is that something new needs to be done with the series instead of ONLY adding new characters or new modes.

*i personally think they might make a ds one*
Also, in the same interview, he basically stated that he had no plans himself to create a Smash for the DS, and that would be up to Nintendo. Seems like he isn't really that interested. Smash on the DS would be difficult, and probably wouldn't turn out very well anyway...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
*Off Topic*

In the new dragon quest, can you play online with people via friend code or some system like that? Where you can play with a specific person?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
[*]Sakurai never said there won't be another Smash. He's even acknowledged that it is possible, but at the same time he's implying that there aren't any current plans for a sequel to Brawl... which is a bit obvious anyway.
You do realize that the interview is two years old? I'm not saying they might be working on another, but that information is out of date.

Also he never said he didn't want anymore characters. He said making a sequel that would do that and ONLY that is something he is against. I have no doubt that he'll add characters in a future installment, but what he is saying is that something new needs to be done with the series instead of ONLY adding new characters or new modes.
I just hope the rest of the fandom realizes this. And just out of curiousity, did anyone feel as large as a change from Melee to Brawl as 64 to Melee, gameplay wise?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
did anyone feel as large as a change from Melee to Brawl as 64 to Melee, gameplay wise?
isn't that why we still play the 64 version and melee version? they are all their own games.
in my opinion, if we bring back wavedashing and keep footstool jump, it would be like splicing melee and brawl together. smash 4 should be seen as the next example in the series, another completely different template of smash like its predecessors so that every single version would continually hold their fan base and some gamers just convert to the newer version.

what i am saying is that there can be revolution as well as brawl 2 and/or melee 2 or 3. they can be their own games with the exact same engine as its name. Revolution does not need to have wavedashing to be cool, thats why you play melee. instead, there will be this whole other new thing that will bring in the masses to convert to the revolution!

also, i want support for smash 4's title to be Super Smash Brothers Revolution. any hands up in here?

i have juri because she is the best female villain and i am currently practicing with her every chance i get. (she's hawt too... just saiyan.)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
You do realize that the interview is two years old? I'm not saying they might be working on another, but that information is out of date.
Well there's a difference between making mental notes for something unrelated to Kid Icarus and actually starting planning/development on a new Smash. I'd be very surprised if he was doing the latter.

I just hope the rest of the fandom realizes this. And just out of curiousity, did anyone feel as large as a change from Melee to Brawl as 64 to Melee, gameplay wise?
I did, but I know a lot of people felt all three games are too similar aside from content. Pretty sure Sakurai's aware of that sentiment, that's the kind of thing that really bugs him so I'd expect something noticeably different next time.

@Shortie: DQ9 is local multiplayer only.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
isn't that why we still play the 64 version and melee version? they are all their own games.
That they all are. We have people still playing Super Turbo to this day after all.

in my opinion, if we bring back wavedashing and keep footstool jump, it would be like splicing melee and brawl together. smash 4 should be seen as the next example in the series, another completely different template of smash like its predecessors so that every single version would continually hold their fan base and some gamers just convert to the newer version.

what i am saying is that there can be revolution as well as brawl 2 and/or melee 2 or 3. they can be their own games with the exact same engine as its name. Revolution does not need to have wavedashing to be cool, thats why you play melee. instead, there will be this whole other new thing that will bring in the masses to convert to the revolution!

also, i want support for smash 4's title to be Super Smash Brothers Revolution. any hands up in here?
SSB4, in general, just needs to have what it needs to appeal to both the casual and competitive (not necessarily hardcore) gamers, along with the semi-serious of course. All of it's options should have advantages and disadvantages, unlike L-Canceling where you pretty much had to do it every single time you landed.

Oh, and I'm partial to Super Smash Brothers Revolution. A bit odd though considering everyone called Brawl this prior to the unveiling of the Wii's name.

i have juri because she is the best female villain and i am currently practicing with her every chance i get. (she's hawt too... just saiyan.)
You know. I was going to make her my secondary, but she didn't click as much as I hoped. And yes, she's hot, pretty much the embodiment of Fetish Fuel Station Attendant (sorry, Toise, I know you don't like people using TV Tropes).

Well there's a difference between making mental notes for something unrelated to Kid Icarus and actually starting planning/development on a new Smash. I'd be very surprised if he was doing the latter.
As would I. I'm just saying that you have to be careful when you're citing something that's not recent.

I did, but I know a lot of people felt all three games are too similar aside from content. Pretty sure Sakurai's aware of that sentiment, that's the kind of thing that really bugs him so I'd expect something noticeably different next time.
You got something in mind? You obviously know my ideas and I'm not going to bring them up unless asked.

BBQTV

Smash Master
hey toise you know obscurity isn't a issue, it's the fact the NMH is bloody as ****

BlackLightning90

Smash Journeyman
SSB4, in general, just needs to have what it needs to appeal to both the casual and competitive (not necessarily hardcore) gamers, along with the semi-serious of course. All of it's options should have advantages and disadvantages, unlike L-Canceling where you pretty much had to do it every single time you landed.
In my opinion, I think competitive gamers just want speed and balance for the next smash. For advantages, no chain grabs, more DI, and faster speed. And for disadvantages (or for casuals), tripping, no exploit advance techniques (L-cancelling, wavedash, etc.), and less hitstun. That's pretty much equal for both gamer types.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I didn't mean that. I meant that each mechanic should have times where you want to use it and when not to use it when you can.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
As would I. I'm just saying that you have to be careful when you're citing something that's not recent.
Careful for what? The statement isn't that old and fits with Sakurai's desire for innovation. We also know exactly what he's doing right now.

You got something in mind? You obviously know my ideas and I'm not going to bring them up unless asked.
No, I don't, unless 8 player or more co-op oriented missions straight out of the games (think "kill Mother Brain and escape") count. Not like it matters, he's the one who has to figure it out.

hey toise you know obscurity isn't a issue, it's the fact the NMH is bloody as ****
Not in Europe!

But I really doubt bloody effects in his source game matters too much since it's not part of who he is (he's no survival horror monster or anything).

Haven't played either game but I saw a trailer a while back where he pretends to jack himself off with his sword to recover a little energy. Stuff like THAT would be an actual issue, but I'd assume merely not including it would be sufficient for Sakurai. Maybe not though.

Ievan_Polkka

Smash Rookie
So, in order to satisfy Kuma's little idea about techniques that you should sometimes do, if SSB4 has L-cancelling, then it could do something like this: if you've used an L-cancel within the last 2 seconds, you deal half damage. This does seem like a good idea, as players who don't want to have to learn to L-cancel wouldn't feel like they're just at an absolute disadvantage. And the competitive players would see it as adding more depth, as there are more usable options to consider. I'm not saying I support this particular idea, but theses kinds of ideas I do support.

Anything as lame as chain grabs, which pretty much take a player out of the game for a while, should be removed. Faster speed than Brawl would be tremendously helpful. And they should get rid of being able to pick up items when you're in the air, it allows for some ridiculous stuff way too fast sometimes.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
So, in order to satisfy Kuma's little idea about techniques that you should sometimes do, if SSB4 has L-cancelling, then it could do something like this: if you've used an L-cancel within the last 2 seconds, you deal half damage. This does seem like a good idea, as players who don't want to have to learn to L-cancel wouldn't feel like they're just at an absolute disadvantage. And the competitive players would see it as adding more depth, as there are more usable options to consider. I'm not saying I support this particular idea, but theses kinds of ideas I do support.

Anything as lame as chain grabs, which pretty much take a player out of the game for a while, should be removed. Faster speed than Brawl would be tremendously helpful. And they should get rid of being able to pick up items when you're in the air, it allows for some ridiculous stuff way too fast sometimes.
Do you understand L-Canceling at all? It reduces landing lag giving the user less time from when he landed to his next attack. Cutting attack power in half is so unbalanced. Rethink a solution here, L-canceling is not such an advanced technique that it deserves to ruin the rest of you match

Pieman0920

Smash Master
You know what would be an awesome item? The Chomp Rock from Yoshi's Island. You could move into it to make it start to roll, and it could be positioned on edges, or rolled into opponents to push them back and stuff.

Maybe damage could be given if its rolling fast enough, though that seems a bit sketchy.

...Wait a minute, what have I missed here? :confused:

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I'm not that stupid... it was in 2008. Out of date as it may be, it's all we've got on the subject. Do you have a better, more up-to-date source? And anyway, I doubt they've been working on another. Maybe one is being considered or discussed, but that's probably as far as it would be by now.

I definitely did! With all the new modes and features introduced in each title, there has definitely been enough to distinguish them from one another and to allow the player to feel a significant change.

I've always been for that title ever since before Brawl came out. Of course, that was Brawl's nickname before "Brawl" was revealed but I stuck with it anyway because I thought it sounded cool. I like it.

However, following the trend in the last two Smash titles, we'll probably get another term that relates to fighting, or an actual synonym for the word "fight" itself. Someone once listed most of the synonyms for "fight" that could potentially be part of a Smash title and one stuck out to me... Rumble.

Super Smash Bros. Rumble... THAT is what I'd like to see!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not that stupid... it was in 2008. Out of date as it may be, it's all we've got on the subject. Do you have a better, more up-to-date source? And anyway, I doubt they've been working on another. Maybe one is being considered or discussed, but that's probably as far as it would be by now.
Really? I figured you were more stupid. j/k And no, I don't have any more recent source. My post was probably more of a reaction than anything else since I was taught to be careful when using older sources (how old depends on the subject) for sources for papers.

I definitely did! With all the new modes and features introduced in each title, there has definitely been enough to distinguish them from one another and to allow the player to feel a significant change.
Modes and features? What do you mean by that?

However, following the trend in the last two Smash titles, we'll probably get another term that relates to fighting, or an actual synonym for the word "fight" itself. Someone once listed most of the synonyms for "fight" that could potentially be part of a Smash title and one stuck out to me... Rumble.
It might just be me, but Rumble has always given me something like a boxing or wrestling feel thanks to "Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!!!!" Still, something that starts with an R just seems right to me.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Really? I figured you were more stupid. j/k And no, I don't have any more recent source. My post was probably more of a reaction than anything else since I was taught to be careful when using older sources (how old depends on the subject) for sources for papers.
Harharhar :laugh:

Hm I see, well I can't blame you for that! Makes sense.

Modes and features? What do you mean by that?
Well... modes and features are basically just what I mean. Melee added an Adventure mode, All-star mode, Training mode, Tournament mode, Special Melees, Multi-man Melee, Target Test, Home-run Contest, the Trophy feature, and multiple other options that affected gameplay.

Brawl either added modes or changed them up a bit, that change making the feature more or less enjoyable. It added Stickers, the My Music feature, Stage Builder, Challenges, Masterpieces and Chronicle as well as improving (changing) Adventure Mode and the Lottery (making it into the Coin Launcher), plus including multiple gameplay changes and a bunch of other things I forgot to mention.

I'm saying that basically each game is it's own with all of these separate features. I don't think they're all too similar that people have to constantly complain about it. I just hope this can be pulled off with the next game, I'm sure it will though.

It might just be me, but Rumble has always given me something like a boxing or wrestling feel thanks to "Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!!!!" Still, something that starts with an R just seems right to me.
That is very true... but boxing and wrestling are forms of fighting, and Smash is a fighting game, so it could still be appropriate. But yes, agreed with that last statement. :bee:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well... modes and features are basically just what I mean. Melee added an Adventure mode, All-star mode, Training mode, Tournament mode, Special Melees, Multi-man Melee, Target Test, Home-run Contest, the Trophy feature, and multiple other options that affected gameplay.

Brawl either added modes or changed them up a bit, that change making the feature more or less enjoyable. It added Stickers, the My Music feature, Stage Builder, Challenges, Masterpieces and Chronicle as well as improving (changing) Adventure Mode and the Lottery (making it into the Coin Launcher), plus including multiple gameplay changes and a bunch of other things I forgot to mention.
This was what I was asking for. The thing is, those modes are just different ways to exploit the game's engine. Of course, Sakurai did say he had some ideas stored away that he couldn't use in Brawl, so let's just wait and see what he'll do.

That is very true... but boxing and wrestling are forms of fighting, and Smash is a fighting game, so it could still be appropriate. But yes, agreed with that last statement. :bee:
SSB, along with games like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, give me a different kind of feeling when it comes to fighting as opposed to that of boxing and wrestling. Those three have more over the top styles of fighting. You're not going to have someone like Ness, Milia Rage, or Arakune in an actual fight.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Heres the thing, when it comes to adventure mode/sse, where do we find the balance for a mode that we can enjoy?

We can all agree, that Melees Adventure mode was.. meh
And we can agree that sse wasnt the best thing ever. The story was alright, and the fact that you got every character after owning the game really killed the fun.

Where do we find the balance between the two?

I wanna see an adventure mode like SC, where it takes fifteen/twenty minutes to finish a characters adventure. And you can end it differently because you have actual choices to make. Go this way, or that way type of stuff. Also, we shouldnt be able to win every character in one mode for goodness sake! Whats the point of playing the other modes? I love the other modes, but having a really good prize (Like a character or level) pushes me tp play that mode even more and more.

Balance, i guess thats what life is about.

Ievan_Polkka

Smash Rookie
@Shortiecanbrawl, I don't get what balance you're getting at. Melee's was single character with some stage, some classic more type fighting. Brawl's was a lot of stage, many characters, and just a little classic fighting. What you've suggested sounds almost completely on the classic mode with single character at a time side, meaning it'd have less "balance" than melee's. I don't see how this would be all that different than classic, nor do I see how it has more of this mysterious "balance." Care to explain?

I'd prefer something similar to that of melee's adventure mode, except with some changes similar to those Shortiecanbrawl suggested. Image in the underground maze or race to the finish, if you actually went to a different area depending on which exit you used. I'd rather have this than simple choices to text.

@ElPanandero, I have to disagree. We don't know how the new game mechanics will be, and thus for all we know, if you ever don't L-cancel, you will be slow enough that a good player will virtually always hit you. Thus, even with some penalty, it could still be very well worth doing and to your advantage to do sometimes. And if you read carefully, you'll notice I said I didn't even support the half damage idea, just that there should be some disadvantage, as there shouldn't be any techniques that it's to your advantage to ALWAYS do. If you should always do a technique, it might as well just be automatic.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
@Polka
I understand adding a penalty for Advanced Techniques (while I don't at all agree with the notion) but L-Cancelling is less important tech with less advantageous rewards. Adding it into the game and then giving such a steep penalty will make it virtually unusable wasting the designers time to even put it in. Perhaps a less harsh penalty should be put in place instead?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, the one thing about L-Canceling was that it made comboing from the air to ground a lot more doable. What if we had something like TvC's Baroque combo where doing it will cost a small amount of health, but this health will recover over time under the condition that you're not hit.

Still, I'd rather not see that thing return again.

I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't hurt the series to cut back on the knockback a bit. I'm not saying turn into Street Fighter (save that for Nintendo vs. Capcom), but it would make combos more than juggles and might allow for diverse styles.

@Polkka
I don't think Shortie was thinking of something like Classic Mode. I'm very found of the idea that you play through a series of stages like Melee and fight, but like Shortie said, you have different paths based on choices you take; therefore you have a different ending, but only one is "canon". This reminds me of BlazBlue, but that game's story mode borrowed that from visual novels.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Do you understand L-Canceling at all? It reduces landing lag giving the user less time from when he landed to his next attack. Cutting attack power in half is so unbalanced. Rethink a solution here, L-canceling is not such an advanced technique that it deserves to ruin the rest of you match
I agree, that guy is....stupid. I wish L-cancelling and everything made it into ssb4 but....there is just no way.

Postman from MM needs to be a playable character =p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
All I was saying is I would rather see an adventure mode where each character has their own little story, and heir are key places where decisions you make change the outcome of your story. It would make the game even more fun to play over and over again.
Like in Soul Caliber.

Anyways, the whole balance thing. i was talking about if one side of the scale was Melees adventure mode, and the other side of the scale was Brawls subspace, i want something near the middle. With good pieces from either game mode.

Idk what you were talking about Polka Face.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
So is there any real proof that a ssb4 is being made? and besides for the 3ds
No, there is not. We don't have any confirmation that an SSB4 is even being discussed, or even considered. If it was, however, that's as far as it's be by now.

Sakurai hasn't completely shut-out the idea of a Brawl sequel as seen in past interviews. He has acknowledged that it hasn't really been discussed yet, but he cannot say with 100% confidence that there will not be a sequel to Brawl. However, this was stated around two years ago, and as Sakurai's current Kid Icarus project is being wrapped up, SSB4 is likely being considered or even discussed, although there is also a good chance that the thought of SSB4 hasn't even been taken that far. Also, Sakurai really hasn't expressed much interest in a Smash for the DS. Apparently, he would rather leave that up to Nintendo.

Also, I wouldn't expect to hear about a new Smash until maybe 2012 or 2013, maybe even later than that. We still have plenty of time.

SSBBninja

Smash Cadet
Just put some anime / video game characters that really deserve to be in!!! Naruto, Aang, Goku, Ichigo, and Sora (Kingdom Hearts) need to be in the next game. They need to stop putting in **** characters that people don't know who they are. R.O.B??? Seriously??? Rob's not even a video game character, he was just a second controller for NES, and he sucked!

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Just put some anime / video game characters that really deserve to be in!!! Naruto, Aang, Goku, Ichigo, and Sora (Kingdom Hearts) need to be in the next game. They need to stop putting in **** characters that people don't know who they are. R.O.B??? Seriously??? Rob's not even a video game character, he was just a second controller for NES, and he sucked!
Ugh.... :( These types of posts greatly annoy me, so I have a lot to say. Read the bottom of the post thats in RED for the tl;dr version.

Anime characters will just ruin the series, trust me. The purpose of Super Smash Bros. is to bring elements of many popular and familiar Nintendo games together, including characters, locations, items, music, and themes. However, just because the character starred in a game on a Nintendo console certainly DOES NOT mean they are a NINENDO character. Naruto, Goku, and other anime characters do NOT belong in anyway to Nintendo. Therefore, they are not Nintendo and do not belong in the game.

You might say "Sonic and Snake aren't Nintendo and they're in the game!" Well yes, but its different. See, Sonic and Snake originated as video game characters. So placing them in a game that is basically a crossover for multiple video game (mostly Nintendo) series is quite appropriate. Did Naruto, Goku, etc. originate in a video game? I don't think so. Do they belong in Smash? Definitely NOT.

If we went by the standard that any character that has ever appeared in a video game on a Nintendo console could appear in the game, we could add pretty much any character ever invented. Anime characters, sports stars, cartoon characters, pop stars, I could go on. Save all that for a different game, let Smash keep its "Nintendo magic" that makes it so great and enjoyable. Those are my thoughts on the subject.

By the way, R.O.B. is a unique character, he's a video game character, and he's Nintendo. Why not put him in? It's an interesting surprise too. Who cares how "unkown" they are if they're in the game? Do you think many non-Japanese people knew who Marth and Roy were when Melee came out? Sure a few did, but not many. And look what happened, Fire Emblem is now popular in other parts of the world. My point proven.

TL;DR: Anime characters will only ruin the game. They are not Nintendo and therefore will never be in a Smash game. You're wrong. Also, R.O.B. rocks.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was looking at the Iwata Asks, trying to find what Sakurai said about a SSB DS, and I found myself reading up on the online components of Brawl and the reasoning behind the design. Here are some excerpts:

Well, there were lots of things that didn’t make it into the document too. At any rate, in the report, I covered, for the most part, how to deal with the online aspect for Smash Bros. Brawl. For example, when battling through the internet, a player has the option to brawl With Friends or With Anyone. When playing With Friends, you can compose short messages, [“Hello!” “I give up!” Communicate during Wi-Fi play by messages appearing in word bubbles and characters’ poses!] but when brawling with random players, however, names aren’t displayed and neither records nor brawling results are saved. [The gist is to not have your name known by your opponent. (no one will be able to see anybody’s name) There will be no grudge after the match, so people can have careless fun!] This was very similar to what Nintendo was proposing for its Wi-Fi Connection (WFC), but at the time I finished the document in July of 2005, the WFC service didn’t exist.
It was quite surprising. (laughs) To me, online gaming had always been a place for the strong. One person would be living it up while hundreds or thousands of people were unhappy. I can’t completely reject this model of course, but as long as things remain this way, online gaming can spread only so far no matter what you do. I mean, even if people thought it looked interesting, most would hesitate to get involved and stay lingering on the sidelines.
Iwata
Therefore, we tried to think of ways to avoid this form of online gaming and ways to fashion an environment in which parents would feel safe letting their children play games online, debating at length on topics like how to create an online environment free of harassment. As a result, our concept of the WFC slowly began to take shape with two separate modes of play; players could play with friends or play with people they don’t know. It would be more about the fun of sharing rather than simply competing. Amazingly, these were the proposals I found in the first document you gave me.

Sakurai

That’s right. When people think of playing Smash Bros. online, they think about battling opponents to see what happens based on their record of wins or losses, or about holding tournaments online. But I felt that this would make it a service from which only a select group of players could derive enjoyment. For Smash Bros., there are small communities here and there where there’s fun in winning and losing, even when there are more skilled players than others. But if you make an environment where everyone is trying to climb their way to the top of a single tall mountain, it’s clear that the people having fun would be limited to a small number of individuals.

Iwata
Those in the top five might feel pretty good about themselves, but what happens if you’re number 15,398 in the rankings? People considered formidable in their own particular community wouldn’t be the least bit pleased.

Sakurai
Furthermore, since Smash Bros. is likely to have a broad gaming base, those that enjoy playing it within their own community might still end up number 100,000 in the rankings.
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol3_page1.jsp

Out of curiosity, and I'm bored, how much do each of you agree with these statements?

For the first quote, I think Sakurai is worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about when it comes to not having names. To me, it does more good than bad in the run. Sure, you might get rage mail, but it's not worth taking out. I've met quite a good number of players in SF4 playtime that I've befriended and will play online with over time.

For the second quote, the key thing needed to help online play is communication between the players, and those pre-written messages aren't going to cut it. We need to see Wii Speak or whatever implemented so the stronger players can help the weaker players. Then there comes the question of what to do about the children playing. The only thing I can think of in that required is that NWC becomes a multi-tiered service.

For the third one, I'm not big on a ranking mode simply because it doesn't really tell you anything about how good someone actually is. Besides, it's not like rankings tracks your win/loss ratio for both online and offline and puts that in some database that the rankings system uses.

TL;DR Sakurai and co. should be less concerned about not hurting feelings and harassment and be concerned about bringing the players closer while keeping it safe.

UberMario

Smash Master
I hope we get an ACTUAL EARTHBOUND song in SSB4.

In Melee we got:
-Bein' Friends (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)
-Pollyanna (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)

In Brawl we got:
-Unfounded Revenge/Smashing Song of Praise (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)
-Snowman (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)
-Love Theme (From Mother 3)
-Porky's Theme (From Mother 3)
-You Call This A Utopia?!! (From Mother 3)
-Humoresque of a Little Dog (From Mother 3)

Seriously, how did HAL not notice this? ;_;

And the one song from EB that was originally planned was cancelled in favor of one of the KK songs . . . .

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I was looking at the Iwata Asks, trying to find what Sakurai said about a SSB DS, and I found myself reading up on the online components of Brawl and the reasoning behind the design. Here are some excerpts

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol3_page1.jsp

Out of curiosity, and I'm bored, how much do each of you agree with these statements?

TL;DR Sakurai and co. should be less concerned about not hurting feelings and harassment and be concerned about bringing the players closer while keeping it safe.
I really don't agree with Sakurai or Iwata on these statements, I'd have to agree more with your statements. Sure nintendo is the company that wants to be "family-friendly", but perhaps they are worrying a bit too much about it.

There needs to be some form of communication (taunt messages are not communication at all). It can be enabled or disables, and if it is disabled then the player can't communicate with other players in anyway. That way, protective parents wouldn't have to worry about profanity, cyber-bullying, and other things like that.

I see nothing wrong with names. Who cares if there is a grudge after the match? You can ignore the player, there should be an option for that anyway. Or maybe it'll create some internet rivalry, which could potentially bring players back for more... the need to defeat their rival.

I would enjoy rankings though. Players don't have to be in the top 5 to be happy. If I was player 15,398 then maybe I would make it a goal to at least become player number 15,300. Or I could simply attempt to climb the rankings and see how high I could get. Plenty of games have rankings and they don't scare people away. Either the player doesn't care, or they keep playing in an attempt to become better. Either way, it definitely isn't a bad thing.

I hope we get an ACTUAL EARTHBOUND song in SSB4.

In Melee we got:
-Bein' Friends (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)
-Pollyanna (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)

In Brawl we got:
-Unfounded Revenge/Smashing Song of Praise (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)
-Snowman (From Mother 1/Earthbound Zero)
-Love Theme (From Mother 3)
-Porky's Theme (From Mother 3)
-You Call This A Utopia?!! (From Mother 3)
-Humoresque of a Little Dog (From Mother 3)

Seriously, how did HAL not notice this? ;_;

And the one song from EB that was originally planned was cancelled in favor of one of the KK songs . . . .
Don't forget the song that played on Fourside in Melee. That was Because I Love You with a small bit from Smiles and Tears near the end. Still, that's the only song from EarthBound that we've gotten. I wish NOA and Nintendo in general wouldn't restrict the MOTHER/EarthBound series so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom