• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i wrote this with a rather bored voice:

paper mario... a game i gave never got a chance to play... i played it once in a wal-mart but the controller was pretty ****ed up. i was turned off by that and that scar most likely is the reason why i disapprove of the inclusion of paper mario. that and the collision of the universe when he touches mario. i have a gamecube so i will try to find money (in my moms purse) to buy the thousand year door... somewhere...

oh and i just think that at least A hunter could get in(along with Rids if you so please)... a long time ago, i used to like the idea of spire getting in... then i saw the many people liking sylux and i saw their point of view, my liking spire diminished... now people are liking Gandrayda and it appears that i must research her in order to understand why... that why is why i change my ideals.
Ridley is my favorite thing from nintendo but i choose to side with sakurai's ideals. Ridley is relentless, Ridley is under Mother Brain, ie not the main boss, revivable!! a dragon, he can fly (that is a plus in my book)
sakurai's thoughts supersede my own in my own mind... its like i am just renting a room in my mind and the rest of the world is the landlord.

i think i have said this before, my memory has always been sub-par...
a majority of youse guys are biased... not really interchangeable to greater ideals.

i am biased but not on this subject.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
err... of that quote? well the middle paragraph kinda sums up what i am trying to say... basically how i am practically unbiased to my own opinion. (whatever that truly means.)

yeasurewhatever... just ignore me today i am not really in a good mood since i lost a lot of drawings in my unruled notepad. (as well as a finely detailed original sci-fi manga concept.)

i will bounce back tomorra.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
@Metroid Story Discussion: It probably won't really hint at much within the Prime arc; Its supposed to continue more with the Super Metroid story line (from what the trailers show at least).

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
yes of course but, sylux... being a hunter, still exists regardless of metroid prime (referring to the Prime metroid not the series here)
no seriously, i don't think there will be a metroid prime 4. it was a trilogy right? and the 100% is supposed to peak our interests right? and no one here in SWF is working on Other M nor did they release more info on it so no one can truly say that Team NINJA won't use it as a means to fight. i am not saying it is a sure thing but the fact of the matter is that it is probable. there is no 0% as well as 100%.

just cause the hunters are in prime arc, does not mean hunters aren't still in the universe, that includes the hunters from the DS and Corruption. "keep an open mind. the possibilities are within reach... don't touch the possibility, it may just break in your hands."... hehehe, i just made it up!

"the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
-Gin Rummy

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yes of course but, sylux... being a hunter, still exists regardless of metroid prime (referring to the Prime metroid not the series here)
no seriously, i don't think there will be a metroid prime 4. it was a trilogy right? and the 100% is supposed to peak our interests right? and no one here in SWF is working on Other M nor did they release more info on it so no one can truly say that Team NINJA won't use it as a means to fight. i am not saying it is a sure thing but the fact of the matter is that it is probable. there is no 0% as well as 100%.

just cause the hunters are in prime arc, does not mean hunters aren't still in the universe, that includes the hunters from the DS and Corruption. "keep an open mind. the possibilities are within reach... don't touch the possibility, it may just break in your hands."... hehehe, i just made it up!

"the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
-Gin Rummy
I wasn't making that statement in regards to what you wrote. You are right we have no idea what will be in the Other M. And yes, you are correct in thinking that there is not a MP4 planned as of yet; it was planned for just a trilogy, although with that ending, they left the series open for the possibility.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i guess i read it the wrong way... and YEAH!!! FE12!!! wait... i don't have a DS... oh noes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh come on, no Goroh? I think F-Zero has some good characters to add.
But the series is virtually dead so there's really no point in adding anyone else. It's been 6 years since the last installment and everytime Miyamoto's asked about future installments he usually just whines about how unsatisfied he was with how F-Zero GX turned out.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Besides since when was F-zero ever really about the characters?? Captain Falcon was the only one that ever stood out because of his name and he had one of the better looking racers(not to mention one of the original racers from SNES). Other than that no one else ever really stood out a lot imo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That too. Samurai Goroh just runs into the danger of just being a generic swordsman while Black Shadow pretty much sets himself up as a Ganondorf clone since neither of them have very much to work with.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's one of the reasons why I never thought F-zero had much of a chance of seeing anyone else from their series.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That too. Samurai Goroh just runs into the danger of just being a generic swordsman while Black Shadow pretty much sets himself up as a Ganondorf clone since neither of them have very much to work with.
Well, if Snake ever gets scrapped, Pico seems like a good contender to take his moveset (with the exception of the Cyper). Hahahah

Also, its interesting that we are getting yet another Fire Emblem with Marth as the protagonist. I think Marth is now unquestionably the face of Fire Emblem. Marth now has four games under his belt. Its also interesting how this game is being made for the Nintendo DS despite the 3DS coming out later this year. However, keep in mind that Intelligent Systems also thought it was a good idea to make the next Fire Emblem in 1999 on the Super Famicom as opposed to the Nintendo 64.

I am very interested to see what Nintendo also has in store at E3. I knew Intelligent Systems was up to something. Perhaps they might also be working on Paper Mario 4....?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
E3's definitely going to be interesting this year. Nintendo's keeping their mouth shut but I have a feeling that a lot is going to be revealed for a wide variety of franchises. I have a feeling that at least one old franchise is going to be revived and several others are going to get new installments outside of what we already know (ie; Pikmin, Golden Sun, and Zelda). Call me naive but I think Kirby Wii may actually make an appearance this year too.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
E3's definitely going to be interesting this year. Nintendo's keeping their mouth shut but I have a feeling that a lot is going to be revealed for a wide variety of franchises. I have a feeling that at least one old franchise is going to be revived and several others are going to get new installments outside of what we already know (ie; Pikmin, Golden Sun, and Zelda). Call me naive but I think Kirby Wii may actually make an appearance this year too.
Let's see:

Mario:
Unknown, probably a launch title for 3DS.

Donkey Kong:
I am not sure if anything will be announced, and if something does get announced it will probably be another low-budget title.

The Legend of Zelda:
Zelda Wii obviously.

Metroid:
Metroid Other M obviously.

Yoshi:
Unknown, maybe a tech demo game for 3DS like there was for DS? Otherwise, I don't think anything will be announced.

Kirby:
Wii is close to four years old, and there is still no Kirby title for the console? Also, HAL has been doing nothing except Pokemon Ranger games. This could very well be the year we see Kirby Wii.

Star Fox;
There have been so many rumblings about Star Fox about the past year, that I have an inkling we will see a new title announced at E3.

Pokemon:
Pokemon Black/White

F-Zero:
Sorry, I see nothing for the series.

Mother:
Nothing, outside of a possible compilation game.

Fire Emblem:
FE12 stuff.

Wario:
Perhaps a WarioWare title for 3DS considering that Touched and Smooth Moves were both launch titles for the DS and Wii in Japan.

Pikmin:
We know Pikmin 3 is in development, the question is when it is going to be shown. Keep in mind that it was announced all the way back in 2008.

Kid Icarus:
Like with Star Fox, lots of rumblings and stuff.

Starfy:
The developers expressed interest in making a Wii title for this series....

Golden Sun:
Golden Sun 3 obviously.

Punch-Out:
I don't know about Punch-Out, but Next Level Games is definitely up to something....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Toise

If I am always wrong but if my statement in my last post is correct, it is a contradiction. I am worse than the Sonic fans? That's nice. I would be disappointed if I didn't get my regular dose of personal attacks from you. :p

@ Fatman

I never thought Samurai Goroh would be anything more than a generic swordsman. Look at how he is in Brawl. If we are getting a samurai-like character in the game, my money is on Takamaru. He was even playable in Samurai Warriors 3 for the Wii. I think he would make an unique swordsman.

@ Kuma

I don't think we are running out of Nintendo characters, let alone those from existing franchises. Personally, I think we will get five or more new franchises: Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun, Starfy, Mysterious Murasame Castle, and Tingle seem the most likely. Other than that, I think we can expect to see about eight or more new characters from existing franchises for about 13-18 newcomers.

@ Pieman

It is okay that you don't think Toad is that popular and not important. I think he is pretty popular and a major supporting character. I only wanted Toad because I think it would be fun to play as Toad and it would be neat to see the MK64/MKSC/MKDS cast and the SMB2 heroes together again and I think it would attract fans of NSMBWii with the option to play as blue and yellow palette swaps of Toad with Mario and Luigi.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Chrono:

Miyamoto had previously stated in a previous interview Pikmin 3 might show up at this year's E3. What exactly that entails is uncertain, but at least a public unveiling would be sufficient. Next Level Games has expressed interest in making a Punch Out sequel and I believe we will see one, but that will take some time. Additionally we have Retro Studios and Project Soras' mysterious titles that could be unwrapped. I have a strong feeling we will see Retro Studio's game at this E3.

If Nintendo decides to localize them we potentially have two new RPG series to look forward to. The Last Story and Xenoblade, the former of which is being developed so as to have more installments, if I recall correctly. Xenoblade did show up as "TBA" under the North American 2010 release schedul so more than likely at least that game will see release.

On an unrelated note I picked up Super Mario Galaxy 2 and boy is that game good! I am with Pieman, Spaceship Mario MUST be the next Mario stage. It can have the more traditional "Battlefield" platform layout while the background would behave similarly to Lylat Cruise. Warping between various galaxies from the original and sequel.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Besides since when was F-zero ever really about the characters?? Captain Falcon was the only one that ever stood out because of his name and he had one of the better looking racers(not to mention one of the original racers from SNES). Other than that no one else ever really stood out a lot imo.
F-Zero's cast is one of its strongest points. If you're assuming the characters don't stand out because non-fans haven't really heard of them, well that's pretty universal for any series under any medium.

Also the lack new characters in Smash doesn't help, especially when you consider how many characters from other series people hadn't heard of/were indifferent towards until they were part of the playable cast.

I don't see how Goroh would necessarily have a generic moveset, especially when his overall design is a far cry from someone like Marth or Link.

Black Shadow though, he has the same general abilities as Ganon in GX and GP Legend (minus transforming and weapons). That's part of the reason why I wouldn't mind the Ganon moveset transferal that most Zelda fans whine for.

edit: didn't notice Chu's post, but yeah, potential for genericness and being a clone hasn't mattered in determining a character's inclusion. Also I keep being reminded of how much Wolf completely craps on a ton of popular roster theories.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Kuma

I don't think we are running out of Nintendo characters, let alone those from existing franchises. Personally, I think we will get five or more new franchises: Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun, Starfy, Mysterious Murasame Castle, and Tingle seem the most likely. Other than that, I think we can expect to see about eight or more new characters from existing franchises for about 13-18 newcomers.
13-18 newcomers? I wouldn't count on it. I seriously believe we'll see no more than 10-12 excluding third party and transformations.

When I was talking about running out of characters, I'm talking about how we're on a limited "resource." When the well runs dry, if it should, what we will do for new characters?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, then let us just hope that they refrain from adding more clones until the last minute. We got six last-minute clones in Melee but only two last-minute clones in Brawl. I think it is an improvement, especially when the clones are significantly different from the originals in Brawl compared to in Melee.

I also like Starphoenix's suggestion that Starship Mario could travel through different Galaxies from SMG1 and 2 in a similar manner to Lylat Cruise. And that would not be anything like Rainbow Road! :p

I also think it would be cool if Starship Mario had a part in the Adventure Mode. I think there should be more vehicles in the Adventure Mode in addition to Meta Knight's Halberd, Olimar's rocket, Captain Falcon's racecar, and Samus's starship. Spirit Train (from Zelda Spirit Tracks) and Starship Mario can be good choices. Personally, I think the Zero-One from Pokemon Snap would be oddly interesting in that mode but I like the concept. :)

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
F-Zero's cast is one of its strongest points. If you're assuming the characters don't stand out because non-fans haven't really heard of them, well that's pretty universal for any series under any medium.

Guess I didn't know. I always figured it was about the racing, especially since it lacked any story anytime I ever played it. But I guess I was wrong. I never got into any of the characters stories besides their bios in the instruction manuals and in the game.

Whenever I played the F-zeroes I was always looking at the vehicles stats when racing, not the racers themselves.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Playing SMG2, the notion that Spaceship Mario has to be a stage has been cemented even further. The place has loads of helper characters to make cameos, and flying platforms surrounding it, which lends itself to Smash. It would also work out well enough with either normal gravity, or the gravity that it actually has in game. I don't think the thing would particularly travel through any specific levels from either SMG or SMG2, but the background could change as it goes through the worlds of SMG2.

Anyways, F-Zero's selling point, at least ever since X, was the amount of racers it has, and while most games could have made the majority of other racers just generic and unknown characters, the F-Zero series gave each one a personality and a background. Of course, while there are loads of F-Zero characters though, none of them actually fight, and they don't show up out of their vehicles that much. This is probably the main reason we only have one character from the series. As it stands though, Goroh could easily enough be given a moveset (Pico too, but he's not important enough to trump certain characters) and BS could take Ganon's if Ganon ever let go of it....though I personally hate the idea. Of course, the biggest problem the series has to face is the fact that its sort of dead.

JOE!

Smash Hero
well, if they ever run dry on character ideas...Nindeno allways has a backup....

lesse...

486 characters that would make silly sets :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
13-18 newcomers? I wouldn't count on it. I seriously believe we'll see no more than 10-12 excluding third party and transformations.

When I was talking about running out of characters, I'm talking about how we're on a limited "resource." When the well runs dry, if it should, what we will do for new characters?
I have always talked about the "well running dry", but not much about what will happen when it finally does. First off, its very difficult getting a fighting game to have more than 50 characters. Most of the time they do get over 50, it is either due to much of the characrers being clones or rips from previous games of the series utilizing a similar engine.

Since Smash games are once on a console deal, the engine has to be made alongside the characters. Simply because the moveset is already made out does not mean that they will simply mean they can simply make Smash 4 and copy and paste Brawl's characters into the game.

I think Sakurai's team was able to do what they did partially because the Wii is extremely similar to GameCube hardware. Most of Nintendo's teams will be a generation behind when Nintendo does decide to make a new console with similar graphical power compared to the Playstation 3 and X-Box 360.

I do think we will probably see around 45-55 total playable characters in Smash 4. The number of newcomers really depends upon how many characters in Brawl's roster that they decide to cut. Remember while the size of the Brawl roster increased by 13 characters over Melee, that Brawl had 18 newcomers.

There are much less "obvious" cuts in Brawl as there was for Melee. The only ones that seem like cutting material are Pokemon Trainer (if only for the number of characters his slot takes up), Lucario, Ike, Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, Sonic, Snake, and R.O.B. (who interestingly was the only character from Mario Kart DS not to return for Mario Kart Wii). Most of the previously mentioned characters have much more popularity than most of the cut Melee veterans (the only two cut Melee characters whom had a sizable fanbase were Mewtwo and Roy, and maybe Dr. Mario had some fans).

Here is my reasoning behind each of the listed:

Pokemon Trainer:
Some complain about too much 1st-generation playable representation. Also, Pokemon Trainer's slot takes up three characters, and the character itself is less popular than the flavor of the month Lucario.

Lucario:
Many believe him to be an advertisement for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. Many also prefer Mewtwo over Lucario. Overall, Lucario is indeed a flavor-of-the-month Pokemon, and his staying power has eroded in the Smash fanbase and his popularity has fallen behind even other Smash mainstays such as Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and even the cut Mewtwo (this is talking about Pokemon popularity in Japan). Lucario's biggest problem is Sakurai not looking at Zoroark to be a replacement to him. However, Lucario does benefit for being releatively popular among competivie players, and overall a much more popular Pokemon newcomer than Pokemon Trainer.

Ike:
Another "flavor-of-the-month" character. Ike's story in Fire Emblem is finished., and due to the recent release of his games, they likely won't be remade any time soon. Ike has lots of popularity among casual Smash players though, and an unique moveset. He is also relatively well-liked by Fire Emblem fans. Ike's chances of returning depends on whether Sakurai thinks Fire Emblem deserves three characters, and whether Ike has outstayed his welcome by the time Smash 4 begins development.

Toon Link:
Unlike most of the characters listed here, Toon Link has seen a new release since Brawl. Spirit Tracks did sell well, and perhaps we will continue to see cell-shaded Zeldas on Nintendo's next handheld. Toon Link's biggest problem is that he is easily the cloniest of Brawl's clones. Toon Link is very much a Melee styled clone, whereas Lucas and Wolf both had different A-moves and throws. Toon Link is the only Zelda character that is liked among competitive players though.

Wolf:
Wolf was either the last or second-to-last addition made to Brawl's roster. Wolf is liked among the casual fans of Smash Bros., however, there are some who felt that a certain other Star Fox character should have been in. Many felt that three Star Fox characters was already too much, and that four would be ridiculous for a relatively small series such as Star Fox. Wolf's biggest danger is that Sakurai does think about matters of series having too many characters (he addressed this in a Nintendo Power interview when asked why Mario and Zelda did not see any more characters compared to Melee). If the Krystal fans are loud enough for him to think she is a worthy addition, and if Sakurai deems that Star Fox should not have four characters, Wolf may face the chopping block.

R.O.B.:
Probably the least popular character on Brawl's roster. He was the only newcomer that I saw as much outrage for inclusion that I did for Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link. However, R.O.B. benefit from having an unique moveset, and he did not cut out the equally obscure retros from Melee. However, keep in mind that R.O.B. was one of the few Mario Kart veterans to not have been included in Mario Kart Wii...

Lucas:
While there are a few that think Mother should have as many characters as Mario, most are relatively happy that Mother even got a second character. Itoi, the creator of the Mother series, has repeatedly said that he is done with the series and Mother 3 did not end with a cliffhanger like the first two did. Moreover, two of the three games in the Mother series are Japan-only. Lucas is also the only Japan-only character on Brawl's roster. In many ways, I felt Lucas's inclusion was to honor that Mother 3 finally did get released. However, as from Melee to Brawl, Sakurai's feelings about him being a worthy inclusion could also change. Ness's seniority protects him compared to Lucas, and if pressed for space on a limited roster, cutting Lucas might be deemed "no big deal" by Sakurai's team.

Sonic:
Sonic was either the last or second-to-last character added to Brawl's roster. Sonic also is said by many Smash fans to have had one of the most bland movesets of Brawl's newcomers. While Sonic is quite popular among casual fans, Sonic is a rather poor tourney character. Sonic as a playable character, does not add much. However, in Sonic's favor, lots of Sonic games have been made for Nintendo consoles following Brawl's release, and even some mediocre sports crossovers with Mario. However, Sonic's games continue to be in the sub-par territory, and while many look fondly on his Genesis/MegaDrive days, he is largely looked up as being a "has-been." Also, we do not know Sakurai's policy regarding "guests", do "guests" only stay for "one night" (one game) as is the case for many other fighting series? Or will Sonic become a permanent staple for Smash? Perhaps, Sakurai might feel new guests are needed to distinguish Smash 4 from Brawl, or even that "guests" ruin what Smash is about. Regardless, most of Sonic's popularity is among casual Western fans. On Japanese tier lists, Sonic is regarded as being one of the worst characters in the games, and the Sonic games in Japan have sold very poorly in recent years.

Snake:
Snake was the first guest character of Smash Bros. Snake largely got in due to Sakurai and Kojima being close friends. However, it seems that despite Snake's inclusion in Smash, there has been no new Metal Gear games for Nintendo consoles. The Nintendo DS, the highest selling game console of ALL TIME, received no Metal Gear games, whereas the PSP received four. The Wii has also not received any Metal Gear games (outside of the Virtual Console), while the Playstation 3 has received two and the X-Box 360 is getting one. Snake does offer an extremely unique moveset though, and is popular among both casual and competitive Smash players. However, Snake's problem is that his main reason for inclusion was a personal tie between the creators of Smash and Metal Gear, and outside of that, Metal Gear has little to do with Nintendo. Snake, has been in Smash, so Sakurai's favor to Kojima has been fulfilled, so Kojima might feel that since Snake has already taken on Nintendo, it might not be necessary to come back for "round 2". Again, it largely depends on Sakurai's belief about "guests".

Wow, its been a long time since I last typed this much for a post on this forum. I am sure a lot of you will find this post intriguing and interesting, while some will also find it objectionable. Regardless, I hope it was a worthy contribution to this topic at hand. I still think its too early to make reasonable roster guesses, and that Smash 4 does not really have any "shoe-ins" that Melee and Brawl had.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Since Smash games are once on a console deal, the engine has to be made alongside the characters. Simply because the moveset is already made out does not mean that they will simply mean they can simply make Smash 4 and copy and paste Brawl's characters into the game.
Exactly, however, I believe that the character's moveset should be made alongside the engine, not the other way around.

I think Sakurai's team was able to do what they did partially because the Wii is extremely similar to GameCube hardware. Most of Nintendo's teams will be a generation behind when Nintendo does decide to make a new console with similar graphical power compared to the Playstation 3 and X-Box 360.
I don't think it works that way. You're implying that Brawl and Melee have similar engines when that couldn't be any further from the truth. There's a reason why people went back to Melee after playing Brawl after all. They didn't like the changes made to the engine.

Pokemon Trainer:
Some complain about too much 1st-generation playable representation. Also, Pokemon Trainer's slot takes up three characters, and the character itself is less popular than the flavor of the month Lucario.
I think Pokemon Trainer was a compromise on getting all three of those Pokemon in. All three of those Pokemon have been popular from the very beginning. If we're thinking about representation, would you rather for us to have a generation tokenism thing going on? If anything the Pokemon representation seems to be through the Pokeballs, not the playable characters.

Lucario:

Many believe him to be an advertisement for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. Many also prefer Mewtwo over Lucario. Overall, Lucario is indeed a flavor-of-the-month Pokemon, and his staying power has eroded in the Smash fanbase and his popularity has fallen behind even other Smash mainstays such as Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and even the cut Mewtwo (this is talking about Pokemon popularity in Japan). Lucario's biggest problem is Sakurai not looking at Zoroark to be a replacement to him. However, Lucario does benefit for being releatively popular among competivie players, and overall a much more popular Pokemon newcomer than Pokemon Trainer.
Lucario's become popular in his own right, even in the Pokemon fanbase, IIRC. We don't really have any back up to see that there is a flavor-of-the-month issue here. The closest we've had to that were the art style of the Zelda characters. The one thing we've had to contradict this is Pokemon Trainer.

Ike:
Another "flavor-of-the-month" character. Ike's story in Fire Emblem is finished., and due to the recent release of his games, they likely won't be remade any time soon. Ike has lots of popularity among casual Smash players though, and an unique moveset. He is also relatively well-liked by Fire Emblem fans. Ike's chances of returning depends on whether Sakurai thinks Fire Emblem deserves three characters, and whether Ike has outstayed his welcome by the time Smash 4 begins development.
Why would anyone think he's overstayed his welcome?

Toon Link:
Unlike most of the characters listed here, Toon Link has seen a new release since Brawl. Spirit Tracks did sell well, and perhaps we will continue to see cell-shaded Zeldas on Nintendo's next handheld. Toon Link's biggest problem is that he is easily the cloniest of Brawl's clones. Toon Link is very much a Melee styled clone, whereas Lucas and Wolf both had different A-moves and throws. Toon Link is the only Zelda character that is liked among competitive players though.
If anything, Toon Link needs to individualized, and I think everyone can agree on that.

Wolf:
Wolf was either the last or second-to-last addition made to Brawl's roster. Wolf is liked among the casual fans of Smash Bros., however, there are some who felt that a certain other Star Fox character should have been in. Many felt that three Star Fox characters was already too much, and that four would be ridiculous for a relatively small series such as Star Fox. Wolf's biggest danger is that Sakurai does think about matters of series having too many characters (he addressed this in a Nintendo Power interview when asked why Mario and Zelda did not see any more characters compared to Melee). If the Krystal fans are loud enough for him to think she is a worthy addition, and if Sakurai deems that Star Fox should not have four characters, Wolf may face the chopping block.
It's indeed a bit of a dilemma. Still, some of us, including myself, look at the character, not the series he/she is from.

R.O.B.:
Probably the least popular character on Brawl's roster. He was the only newcomer that I saw as much outrage for inclusion that I did for Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link. However, R.O.B. benefit from having an unique moveset, and he did not cut out the equally obscure retros from Melee. However, keep in mind that R.O.B. was one of the few Mario Kart veterans to not have been included in Mario Kart Wii...
The reason behind is exclusion in MK Wii is pretty much up to interpretation. If anything, notice how there's an equal amount of racers per the three types. Perhaps they couldn't add two more characters along with R.O.B. to get him in.

Lucas:
While there are a few that think Mother should have as many characters as Mario, most are relatively happy that Mother even got a second character. Itoi, the creator of the Mother series, has repeatedly said that he is done with the series and Mother 3 did not end with a cliffhanger like the first two did. Moreover, two of the three games in the Mother series are Japan-only. Lucas is also the only Japan-only character on Brawl's roster. In many ways, I felt Lucas's inclusion was to honor that Mother 3 finally did get released. However, as from Melee to Brawl, Sakurai's feelings about him being a worthy inclusion could also change. Ness's seniority protects him compared to Lucas, and if pressed for space on a limited roster, cutting Lucas might be deemed "no big deal" by Sakurai's team.
Is there any benefit to taking Lucas out? I don't see any reason why you would need to take him out considering that he was a starting character. I think starting characters acquire some sort of immunity as well. Notice how all the removed characters were actually unlockables.
Sonic:
Sonic was either the last or second-to-last character added to Brawl's roster. Sonic also is said by many Smash fans to have had one of the most bland movesets of Brawl's newcomers. While Sonic is quite popular among casual fans, Sonic is a rather poor tourney character. Sonic as a playable character, does not add much. However, in Sonic's favor, lots of Sonic games have been made for Nintendo consoles following Brawl's release, and even some mediocre sports crossovers with Mario. However, Sonic's games continue to be in the sub-par territory, and while many look fondly on his Genesis/MegaDrive days, he is largely looked up as being a "has-been." Also, we do not know Sakurai's policy regarding "guests", do "guests" only stay for "one night" (one game) as is the case for many other fighting series? Or will Sonic become a permanent staple for Smash? Perhaps, Sakurai might feel new guests are needed to distinguish Smash 4 from Brawl, or even that "guests" ruin what Smash is about. Regardless, most of Sonic's popularity is among casual Western fans. On Japanese tier lists, Sonic is regarded as being one of the worst characters in the games, and the Sonic games in Japan have sold very poorly in recent years.
The word "Guest", even with the dictionary definition in mind, is up to interpretation just like any word (or anything for that matter). I think by "Guest" they're referring to the fact that they're simply non-Nintendo characters appearing in a Nintendo-centered game. Not only that, but both him and Snake (even without a game post MGS4) are quite popular and reel in quite a pretty penny.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If there are no cuts made to Brawl's roster, and all 39 of Brawl's characters return for Smash 4, I think we will likely only see about 9-15 newcomers (which includes transformations and guests).

Seeing, as how there is an extreme amount of animosity about any cuts, I would be surprised if even one character got cut (however, I am uncertain about the future of the third-party characters). Personally, I do not want to see any cuts to Brawl's roster and I even want to see some of Melee's cut characters brought back for Smash 4.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, if we get around 9-15 newcomers, how many of those do you suppose would be from currently unplayable franchises versus existing? The only ones that stick out in my mind are Golden Sun, Punch Out, and Legendary Starfy.

I'm not really sure what the ratio has been in the past for new and returning series'.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
does it suck that the game is (seemingly) 1 game per console? it would be great if there was a formula partially similar to how capcom works the street fighters... Street fighter II... Super Street Fighter II... Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival... Special championship edition... Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix... etcetera.
Ultimate Super Smash Bros. Melee... does that make sense?
SSFIV added a lot of characters to the SFIV formula almost calling it Street Fighter 4.9. melee can have its own engine in a separate game... call it a way to find out if the fans want the inclusion of these characters that weren't in smash yet that they included in this new form of Melee... then they could make Super Smash Bros. Revolution with an entirely new formula and engine and adding the popular choices of USSBM in the roster of SSBR. the clones of ssbm should retain their clonelyness as they were in the original game and no smash ball cause there wasn't a smash ball in melee.

along with the engine, ridley can retain the form he had in the cg intro, which a lot argued that that was a perfect size for inclusion, and since that it isn't brawl, he doesn't need the bashing of size of the boss form (now he could just get bashed for super metroid)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In regards to possible cuts...

PT: I don't think there's any danger of the PT being cut. There is a posibility that his Pokemon get cut and replaced though. Still, I see that as a very small one.

Lucario: This isn't an issue about Mewtwo being cut, and thus he should be cut. Its and issue that he's like Pichu, and just serves as a "latest gen" rep or something of the like. Now while this may be true, there's still a good posibility he'll stay, just like how Jigglypuff has stayed in Smash. The only thing that I think that can cement him not getting into Smash 4, outside of a literal confirmation by the developers, is if he gets an evolution in one of the future gens, and said evolution is still human-shaped. If that happens, then I would honestly think that the evo would replace him.

Ike: I don't see Ike being cut. There's the card that RD was never represented in Brawl, and thus his Smash 4 version could refference that. There's also the card that FE has been churning out FE1/3 remakes, and thus we're not really getting characters. Still I think the biggest thing in Ike's favor is that he's become a fan favorite along the lines of Captain Falcon.

Toon Link: There will alwasy probably be a younger Link I think, though if it will be Toon Link for Smash 4, I can't quite say. If it were to be announced tomorrow, it would certainly still be Toon Link (or maybe Spirit Track's Link, which is a different Link, but still Toon Link, derp) but the future could change that. As it stands though, Toon Link has shown up in Zelda more games than any other version of Link, so I'd think he desrves to stay.

Wolf: I'm not quite sure about Wolf. While there's a good chunk of people out there that want Krystal, I don't see much of a chance for there to be four Star Fox characters. That being said, if anyone should be cut based on their moveset, it should probably be Falco. But Falco is a veteran though, and has shown up in more games than Wolf....but Wolf has regular moveset that's not cloned.....I honestly don't know what to say here, and generally think it should just be left untouched.

ROB: ROB might not be well liked, but its not hatred enough to take him out. I suppose though its possible that Sakurai, or whoever is directing Smash 4, just sees him as a character relating to SSE, and thus not needed for the next game. Still I wouldn't put my money on that.

Lucas: There's no real reason to give the Mother series another character, but there's also no reason to take Lucas out. Maybe change a special or two, but that's it.

Sonic/Snake: They are both 3rd party, and thus its possible that both might not return, but if Sega and Konami give the go ahead, I don't think they'd get cut. Especially Sonic. It wouldn't make sense. He may be seen as a "has been" or whatever, but the same goes for Ness, Pit, the ICs, and Mr. G&W. Heck, most DKC fanboys would say DK and Diddy are "has beens" as well, but you wouldn't cut them for that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't see how Goroh would necessarily have a generic moveset, especially when his overall design is a far cry from someone like Marth or Link.

Black Shadow though, he has the same general abilities as Ganon in GX and GP Legend (minus transforming and weapons). That's part of the reason why I wouldn't mind the Ganon moveset transferal that most Zelda fans whine for.
I say he has the potential for being generic because he has nothing to work with. When you look at Smash's history, you'll notice that only four characters have been built entirely from the ground up (not having any moves that they have in their respective games). These four characters are Fox (Falco and Wolf were built off of Fox), Captain Falcon (Ganondorf was built off Captain Falcon), the Ice Climbers, and ROB. All four of these characters represent their own franchises and are, of course, the stars of them. If you ask me, that gave the developers an incentive to actually work with them even if they didn't bring anything to the table. Samurai Goroh is a second banana for a franchise that may very well have been dead for a decade when the next SSB rolls around

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You forgot Zelda and, to some extent Sheik. Both of them had to have a lot of stuff made up for them. In Zelda's case, though, she took Link's three goddess attacks.

So, if we get around 9-15 newcomers, how many of those do you suppose would be from currently unplayable franchises versus existing? The only ones that stick out in my mind are Golden Sun, Punch Out, and Legendary Starfy.

I'm not really sure what the ratio has been in the past for new and returning series'.
I doubt there's a pattern we can go off of.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
The reason behind is exclusion in MK Wii is pretty much up to interpretation. If anything, notice how there's an equal amount of racers per the three types. Perhaps they couldn't add two more characters along with R.O.B. to get him in.
I'm not against ROB but shouldn't he/it have at least got in mk wii before characters such as Dry Bowser or even Funky Kong?

As for the pokemon factor, I believe that Lucario's inclusion in ssb4 is all based on how much representatives will be allowed to be playable in the next game. If it's similar to 4 slots, then Lucario would be at risk however if we get 5 or 6 slots for the pokemon series, then he could be considered safe depending on how popular he remains by that time. Only the future will tell...

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I say he has the potential for being generic because he has nothing to work with. When you look at Smash's history, you'll notice that only four characters have been built entirely from the ground up (not having any moves that they have in their respective games). These four characters are Fox (Falco and Wolf were built off of Fox), Captain Falcon (Ganondorf was built off Captain Falcon), the Ice Climbers, and ROB.
It's been argued before that all of those characters have at least one move that's directly based off of things from their source games.

Regardless, compare those to the number of characters who:

- had at least one made-up standard move (everyone except G&W and almost Mario)
- had ALL standard moves made-up (still most of the cast)
- had at least one made-up special move not counting FS (STILL most of the cast)
- had no more than two specific moves from their games (probably around 1/4 of the cast)
- had to borrow moves from another character in their series (at least Zelda/Ness/Lucas)
- had their main weapon do something completely new and have their moveset revolve around it (ZSS and Pit)
- had original moves that were ignored in favor of something completely new (at least Wario and Ganon)

It's pretty clear that making up stuff isn't a problem at all. Also he can have moves reminiscent of the spin/tackle from the games or the iaido he did all the time in the anime, so it's not likely he absolutely has nothing to work with like some people think.

dead for a decade when the next SSB rolls around
This would be a legitimate reason not to include him. Not that it justifies his exclusion in Brawl, but whatever.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
As I said, those attacks actually come from the games. For Sheik, she has a few moves from Ocarina of Time too like her vanish attack.
If you stretch it out like that, then Fox doesn't quite go there, seeing as he has his laser gun back in Star Fox 64, the ICs had their hammer, and ROB has his Gyro. (Though I'd only really stress the Fox one)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If there are no cuts made to Brawl's roster, and all 39 of Brawl's characters return for Smash 4, I think we will likely only see about 9-15 newcomers (which includes transformations and guests).

Seeing, as how there is an extreme amount of animosity about any cuts, I would be surprised if even one character got cut (however, I am uncertain about the future of the third-party characters). Personally, I do not want to see any cuts to Brawl's roster and I even want to see some of Melee's cut characters brought back for Smash 4.
Agreed

As an aside, I don't think we'll ever see Starfy playable. There isn't much about him that is spectacular. From the Dojo, Sakurai probably agrees.

I say he has the potential for being generic because he has nothing to work with. When you look at Smash's history, you'll notice that only four characters have been built entirely from the ground up (not having any moves that they have in their respective games). These four characters are Fox (Falco and Wolf were built off of Fox), Captain Falcon (Ganondorf was built off Captain Falcon), the Ice Climbers, and ROB. All four of these characters represent their own franchises and are, of course, the stars of them. If you ask me, that gave the developers an incentive to actually work with them even if they didn't bring anything to the table. Samurai Goroh is a second banana for a franchise that may very well have been dead for a decade when the next SSB rolls around
All of Fox's moves come from Arwings (Up B is boost, Down B is barrel roll, and B is lasers or could reference his cannon from 64).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom