• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know... that's exactly what I thought when I first played as Fox in the original Smash. I thought his specials were based off the Arwings.

Smashchu, if Sakurai thinks Starfy shouldn't be in Smash because he would have to make all stages underwater to make Starfy playable (similar reason he used against Excitebike), then I am afraid I have to agree with you. But so far, Sakurai hasn't said anything like that about Starfy so I hope that's good news for Starfy fans.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You know... that's exactly what I thought when I first played as Fox in the original Smash. I thought his specials were based off the Arwings.

Smashchu, if Sakurai thinks Starfy shouldn't be in Smash because he would have to make all stages underwater to make Starfy playable (similar reason he used against Excitebike), then I am afraid I have to agree with you. But so far, Sakurai hasn't said anything like that about Starfy so I hope that's good news for Starfy fans.
Sometimes you may wonder "Stafy, why did you even come here?!" But that’s part of his charm.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sometimes you may wonder "Stafy, why did you even come here?!" But that’s part of his charm.
I remember people saying that this meant Sakurai didn't like Starfy because he is so similar to Kirby, or so I hear.

Though that line might have to do with Starfy, for whatever reason, being KO-able.

I doubt also that Starfy would be cut because there would have to be all underwater stages considering that Starfy shows up as an AT without water being around. Not only that, but Charizard can go into water without dying.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The only time that I ever really heard that Sakurai and/or Kirby fans had a grudge against Starfy fans was in that Show me your News thing before Brawl, and that was just SamuraiPanda saying that he heard it from somewhere. I really don't think its an official enough thing to base Starfy's inclusion of disclusion on.

In any case, as far as my stance is, the starfish has a good enough chance. There's nothing really holding it back, and he finally got his games released internationally.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
All of Fox's moves come from Arwings (Up B is boost, Down B is barrel roll, and B is lasers or could reference his cannon from 64).
Oh Lord, that's really stretching it but I can understand what you're getting at. For the Ice Climbers, yes, you had the hammers but technically the only attack they had with them in the game was their f-smash which again is kind of stretching things. For ROB, yes, you have the gyro but it defininately wasn't an attack in Gyromite or Stack-up. To avoid falling face first into a debating quagmire, I understand that none of Game and Watch's attacks were originally attacks either.

Agreed. If Olimar can be made almost the height of Mario when in the games he's about the size of a dime, then I can easily see them making Starfy fully functional on land. Smash Bros breaks so many rules when it comes to its individual characters and locales that it's not even funny. (Case in point, breathing in space on Lylat Cruise.) Even video game logic gets tossed out the window with Smash Bros and that takes quite a bit of effort to do. :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I thought every one of G+W's moves were from the different G+W games.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Smashchu and Kuma

I think that line was referring to Starfy making cameos in some games (Super Princess Peach and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga come to mind) so part of his charm is making cameo appearances so he is an Assist Trophy.

@ Fatman

I am totally convinced that the "moveset potential" argument is moot now. While it may be a plus, it is definitely not a must for characters to become playable fighters.

Waterbook313

Smash Rookie
I think for a new mario stage it should be of all the sports games. Games like super sluggers, hoops 3-on-3, and strikers charged. It would play like delfino square and feature all of the mario characters not in ssb4!!!!!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
A Mario Stadium idea has been brought up a few times, but generally people don't take to it that much. There are a lot of other locations that the Mario series needs to cover first and what not.
Like a bowsers castlestage......
Or some sort of RPG rep stage, like the battlefeild from paper mario with an aduience.

serbiti64

Smash Rookie
the idea of having megaman would be great!!!... Also any resident evil character and any character from namco would't be bad ^_-.... Maybe adding samurai goroh from the f-zeron series would give the game a twist...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
With Starfy you either love him or hate him, and I am part of the latter. It's... a bland looking starfish. Who would want to fight with something so unoriginal looking? We already have Kirby, so we don't need that... star.

Assist trophy at best.

D

Deleted member

waluigi would be an awesome addition, and maybe some awesome stage from one of the super mario galaxy games. i say that because the second one is great.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i dont mind clones. as long as they arent EXACTLY the same, then its cool.

the only thing i want from SSB4 is luigi as top tier. he shoulda been there for all 3 games so far.

BBQTV

Smash Master
The only time that I ever really heard that Sakurai and/or Kirby fans had a grudge against Starfy fans was in that Show me your News thing before Brawl, and that was just SamuraiPanda saying that he heard it from somewhere. I really don't think its an official enough thing to base Starfy's inclusion of disclusion on.

In any case, as far as my stance is, the starfish has a good enough chance. There's nothing really holding it back, and he finally got his games released internationally.
funny cause im a kirby fan and dont like starfy

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I'm a neutral and i don't like Stafy. is there even a stage that doesn't drown everyone right off the bat? if he reps his own game, he should have a stage like the rest of them... so? out with it Legendary Starfy Players...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
If Drowning were an issue, I'd have to wonder about all of those times the Smash fighters have been in space (Lylat Cruise, Sector Z), on an alien planet (Venom, Brinstar, Distant Planet) or in a area of boiling hot lava and fumes (Brinstar Depths, Norfair). Honestly, there are no problems with breathing.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm a neutral and i don't like Stafy. is there even a stage that doesn't drown everyone right off the bat? if he reps his own game, he should have a stage like the rest of them... so? out with it Legendary Starfy Players...
Funny, doesn't sound very unbiased to me?

There is no reason to believe a Starfy home stage would have every character fighting underwater. There are beach locales in the Starfy series and a stage of his could be styled as such.

One thing in Starfy's favor is his use of costumes for powers. For instance, he wears a chicken costume that gives him the ability to fly. I could see those being implemented into his specials to give him some abilities he may not have otherwise.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think its silly to say oust Starfy.

When i think of smash i think of a game that tries to please a wide-range of fans with representing their favorite games both with stages, items characters ect. So give starfy his time to shine.

Besides, that sounded Very biased halfway through Augusto.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
What's wrong with Starfy? Too cute for some of you?

Also I'd really like to see an underwater stage, they usually look very pretty. If he brings that to the table, he's aces in my book.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Quick question though, Toise, do you want the underwater effect, where everything is moving all slow and floaty, or do you just want the aesthetics?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Quick question though, Toise, do you want the underwater effect, where everything is moving all slow and floaty, or do you just want the aesthetics?
I'd want the aesthetics, like you are fighting in a giant bubble, maybe if you jump out the bubble the gravity and physics change, and it gets all floaty.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No one drowns in Hanenbow and it is underwater. Really, some guys are too biased against Starfy.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Kuma: Are we talking Mega Man water (higher jumps slower falls), Castlevania water (unlimited jumps slower falls) or Monster Hunter water (more like slowly flying)? So many choices.

Oh, but I'd rather keep it simple with just the aesthetics. I don't know what Starfy has but I'm just gonna pretend it's a standard Little Mermaid deal. Then again it'd stand out pretty well if the gameplay changed, wouldn't it?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Toise
You're right, there are several ways that underwater's been done through out the years. Chances, are it'd probably be a mix of Megaman and Castlevania. Of course, I have nothing to base that probability on.

It'd stand out if the gameplay changed, but that can easily be a good or a bad thing.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Funny, doesn't sound very unbiased to me?
yeah, sorry, i didn't say it the way i wanted it to sound like, and i didn't use enough words.

i don't like him, that does not mean that when he gets in the game that i wont use him. when i play a game, i try to play as everyone to get a feel of them. (my brother HATES fox for reasons currently unknown to me but he is relatively good with him... just btw)
jeez
is there even a stage that doesn't drown everyone right off the bat? if he reps his own game, he should have a stage like the rest of them... so? out with it Legendary Starfy Players...
does this not sound like a legitimate question? i am virtually asking if there is a stage in stafy that can be used where it isn't all water.
...yea true i did say drown, i was rushing, i also wanted to mention the floating thing that kuma said but i was... still rushing.

more on the whole bias thing that everyone likes to bash me for... the word i am looking for is Fair (wonder why the word didn't come up until now)
i can change easily if there is a good enough argument against the ideals that i currently have in mind, i can accept starfy even though i think he wouldn't make a great combatant (currently!!!!!) i think of the future constantly (which is why i am in this thread 95% of my time in SWF) the future is where it is at and in the future is where i change ideals based on others ideals.

in the case of megaman vs Megaman x... unless someone can come up with another up B for classic mega man other than rush, then he will be viable to me (though classic will still be chosen over x with rush anyways)

hmmm... i lost track... ah well, nit pick what i said and reply knowing that i lost track and that i could have said more to enunciate my position as fair even more. (i am neutral even though i hate; rare, i know :p:chuckle: i can still turn around and love!)

refresh on stafy stage: i haven't played stafy and i needed youse guys to tell me if there was a viable stage that meets my needs ie not underwater eg that beach that starphoenix mentioned, alrightty so there really is a viable stage like a beach?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
No one drowns in Hanenbow and it is underwater. Really, some guys are too biased against Starfy.
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... then what is that blue weird thing in the bottom that looks like some whierd blue thing? that is a legitimate question with feeling attached to it, i really don't know.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... then what is that blue weird thing in the bottom that looks like some whierd blue thing? that is a legitimate question with feeling attached to it, i really don't know.
It is probably the same stuff Goo Lagoon is made of in Spongebob Squarepants. :psycho: But really, you don't swim in that blue water-like substance in Hanenbow. You just fall down like in a normal stage.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
you cant swim in (brawl) corneria's water either, they should have fixed that. and that water looks like Jungle Japes realistic-ish water. i think it was just un practical to have corneria's water swimable since youre not supposed to fight out there or something like that. and i think that the water in hanenbow was just too 2d to swim in.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Toise
You're right, there are several ways that underwater's been done through out the years. Chances, are it'd probably be a mix of Megaman and Castlevania. Of course, I have nothing to base that probability on.

It'd stand out if the gameplay changed, but that can easily be a good or a bad thing.
Yeah, trying to avoid a situation where it's a beautiful stage but the defining features make most people hate it. I think I'd be a little less torn if there was a way to have both the wacky and the non-wacky in one package.

At this time I now realize that Smash could totally use a sweet grotto.

edit: though to be fair, if I had to pick between water physics (regardless of the specifics) and another standard stage, I'd go for the former.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
in the case of megaman vs Megaman x... unless someone can come up with another up B for classic mega man other than rush, then he will be viable to me (though classic will still be chosen over x with rush.
One word. Beat.

Beat makes much more sense than Rush anyways.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The reason I don't care for Starfy is because there isn't much he can do. He can spin, and that's it. I don't like him because he seems like he can't do a whole lot.
Well what about the ice cmilbers? didnt all they do was jump in their game? I think the whole lack of moveset being a reason for a character to not get in isnt the best one. Just because anyone can make a moveset for anything.

And Starfys latest game got realitivly good reviews and sold very well. Not to mention Sakurai likes starfy, so hes already biased towards starfy. So with the combined factors of Starfys game being good and selling well, sakurai already liking starfy, and the fact that anything can get a moveset, i see him as a likely candidate.

For support that Starfy is popular in North America

"The Legendary Stafy was the top-selling Nintendo DS game in North America during its week of release, temporarily beating out previous top-sellers on the platform such as Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. NPD Group reports that the game was the 19th best-selling game in North America during the months of June and July 2009"

And for the support on Japans side "Media Create sales data lists the game at having sold 126,428 copies in Japan by the end of 2008"

(Lengend of Starfy Wikipedia)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Starfy has enough moves in the games to get by and he'd have even more to work with if he were given some of Starly's moves. Combined with Starly's attacks, he'd have 6 attacks that come from the games which is just fine considering how most of the characters in Smash only have a few moves taken directly from their games. He has stuff to work with which, if anything, I see as consideribly better than not having anything signature at all.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
For support that Starfy is popular in North America

"The Legendary Stafy was the top-selling Nintendo DS game in North America during its week of release, temporarily beating out previous top-sellers on the platform such as Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. NPD Group reports that the game was the 19th best-selling game in North America during the months of June and July 2009"

And for the support on Japans side "Media Create sales data lists the game at having sold 126,428 copies in Japan by the end of 2008"

(Lengend of Starfy Wikipedia)
500k or so worldwide is pretty strong evidence that it's a niche series.

Not that it matters of course, we've seen multiple characters from various niche series already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom