• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This is a bit of a random question, but which Mario games do you prefer 2D or 3D? I prefer the 3D ones. The 2D ones seem repetitive at times to me because of the whole point A to point B aspect of them.
I prefer the 3d ones as well. The point A to point B thing is onlym enternaining for a while. Especially when i have the option to play one that has multiple goals you can achieve

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
With the exception of Galaxy, I like the 3d ones as a whole. (Love opportunities to Galaxy-hate)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
EDIT: Hey Toise, would you count Samurai Goroh in there? He's sort of a villain, but really just in the sense that Wario is a villain...though that could be considered enough in certain instances.

And this whole "villains & females" thing is exactly the reason why we need to expand into new series, isntead of just trying to milk out that last bits of old ones.
I actually had written that post so it mentioned rival-types originally (since some people associate rivals with villains, though he might be the only rival ever who really isn't a villain at all). Then I closed the window and forgot about him.

Probably shouldn't worry about the distinction anyway. The main point was that the affirmative action people can rest easy knowing how likely it is we'll see more females and villains.

Also I haven't seen any evidence that you know more about any particular series than I do, especially when you do such a terrible job appraising characters regularly.

@Fatman: Mona's the #1 pick for the WarioWare crew, no question.

Aside from her, everyone else is roughly on par with each other. Jimmy might have a slight edge for being in every game and getting a little better focus than some of the others. Kat & Ana have been in every game too and have some bonus exposure from Smash. Ashley's in fewer games but she gets a lot of love from fans. In those "equal footing" situations I generally assume none of them would be picked.

Not sure if you're counting Wario Land with that, the only character from there being Captain Syrup. Pretty sure everyone assumes her having any chance in hell revolves around Sakurai deciding to care about WL this time around. Maybe he'll get some letters asking for WL stuff or Shake It will change his mind, who knows. I'd be kinda surprised if he didn't at least notice she exists though.

@Kuma: I generally prefer the 2D games but my favorite Mario is 64. Sunshine and Galaxy 1 were alright but nothing special, now I'm 20 stars into Galaxy 2 and it's pretty much in the same boat so far.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Pieman

Smash is not just for important characters of the franchises, it is also for faces of the franchises. I mean, we got Jigglypuff. She isn't important and she was never important in the first place but she is perceived as one of the faces of the Pokemon series because she is playable in Smash and she used to be a recurring Pokemon in the anime. We also got Sheik but she was important in only one Zelda game but she is one of the faces of that game and that game is arguably the most popular Zelda game of all time (it has to be if people keep comparing other 3D Zelda games to OOT for over 10 years) and partially because she is part of Zelda's moveset (the second most important character in the series and one of the faces of the whole series).

Like it or not, Toad is indeed one of the faces of the Mario series. Adding Toad is not random like adding Koopa Troopa or Shy Guy because Toad is actually considered a major Mario character and the Toad species is the only generic species besides the Yoshi species to have been playable in main games (the other generic species are playable exclusively in spin-off games). There are plenty of reasons to add Toad:

- to complete the SMB2 dream team (nostalgia is a big plus)
- to complete the NSMBWii quartet (Toad can have blue Toad and yellow Toad as palette swaps, more fanservice for the NSMBWii fans in addition to a stage and music/trophies/stickers)
- to complete the classic Mario Big Eight (again, nostalgia)

More people care about Toad than they do about Jody Summer. The only reason why she is considered is because she's got boobs. If you had to mention "we need more females" as one of the reasons for suggesting a female character, I have to invalidate the suggestion. Everyone here knows I want Dixie Kong and I never once mentioned that I wanted her because she is a female. I want Dixie Kong because I loved Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 in the 90's and she would really complete the Kong trio (Donkey, Diddy, Dixie) because they are the only Kongs who have their own games in the DKC trilogy.

Ahh, that reminds me... Dixie hasn't played a major role in a Donkey Kong game since DKC3 but she was still considered for Brawl. I think it doesn't matter if Toad himself hasn't been playable in a main game since SMB2 because he is still one of the faces of the Mario series just like Dixie is one of the faces of the Donkey Kong series.

And my favorite 2D Mario game is Super Mario World followed by Super Mario Bros. 2. My favorite 3D Mario game is Super Mario Sunshine followed by Super Mario 64.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@Fatman: Mona's the #1 pick for the WarioWare crew, no question.

Aside from her, everyone else is roughly on par with each other. Jimmy might have a slight edge for being in every game and getting a little better focus than some of the others. Kat & Ana have been in every game too and have some bonus exposure from Smash. Ashley's in fewer games but she gets a lot of love from fans. In those "equal footing" situations I generally assume none of them would be picked.

Not sure if you're counting Wario Land with that, the only character from there being Captain Syrup. Pretty sure everyone assumes her having any chance in hell revolves around Sakurai deciding to care about WL this time around. Maybe he'll get some letters asking for WL stuff or Shake It will change his mind, who knows. I'd be kinda surprised if he didn't at least notice she exists though.
Yeah, I was thinking of Wario Land too but, as you said, Captain Syrup's the only other main character from that series. From how I see it, Wario could get one more character and the Wario Ware games have sold better, have more games, and have more active characters so Syrup's competition is pretty steep.

I agree with Mona too since she's supposedly the Vice President of Wario Ware Inc. My main hang up though is thinking of what she what do for attacks. She has the mo-ped and the stuffed elephant, monkey, and pig but those are the only things of hers that I would call signature. She could have a minigame inspired moveset but that kind of leads to question, which ones and could they do it without making her "go out of character"? She's eccentric but not nearly as much as the other Wario Ware characters so I can't imagine them giving her a completely off-the-wall moveset. I'm concerned that if she did become playable, she'd be stuck with a moveset that doesn't do her justice or that she'd be stuck with something very generic.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Toise: Poor choices or not are a matter of opinion. I think a chunk of your views aren't that good, but I know you know quite a bit about the series you talk about. :p

@Arc: Jigs was popular when she was included. The second most popular really. That has changed of course, but she's in now by tradition, I suppose. Toad's never really been that popular. Sheik got in because...well she's Zelda. She's not a different character. That specific form of Zelda got in due to Sakurai wanting to try out a different type of character, what with the transformation. And most of the things you're saying that he'd complete are absolutely pointless. Why not throw in Doc Stewart and Pico along with Goroh because they were the original four F-Zero characters? Dixie and Kiddy as the last two playable DKC characters. Get in Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu, Young Link, and Dr. Mario in order to complete the group of cut Melee characters. You don't need to throw in the lame duck(s) of a group just for a sense of completion. (And you're sort of simplifying the whole Jody thing, since she's just the main focus boobs, rather than just boobs. There are quite a lot of female F-Zero characters, but you know, she's the main love interest, and is promoted quite a bit more than your standard racer, but I digress)

I don't personally think Dixie should get in because I don't think that the DK series needs another character, but she is the most likely in my eyes if they were to get a third. Her own situation is quite different from Toad due to the fact that she was a co-star in DKC2, and the main character in DKC3. (Which are main games, rather than failed spin offs like Wario's Woods) Beyond that though, the DK series has kind of...well it hasn't been quite on track, but Dixie still has a main role in most of the games that do come out. (Though I shall admit that they are, like Toad, just main roles due to her just filling up a standard role)

Anyways, in regards to this Wario stuff, Mona's clearly the stand out amongst Wario Ware characters, and Syrup is...well pretty much the only recurring character in Wario Land. I'd assume Mona would get the go ahead before Syrup though due to the fact that WW has been getting a much larger push. As far as a moveset, she'd probably use her animal helpers.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Actually, Wario Land (1, 2, 3, 4, VB, Shake) has a better sales record than WarioWare (MMG, MPG, Twisted, Touched, SM, Snapped, D.I.Y.). Also WL1 is the best selling Wario game at around 5 million (most good Wario games do around 2 million). Doesn't change the fact that Syrup is in fewer games than most WW characters and the snub factor from Brawl, but the numbers between the two series isn't the problem.

Can't say I'm too concerned about how Mona or anyone else would fight. I'd be surprised if it was less wacky than Peach's or more random than G&W's though.

@Pieman: To be fair, Toad was like #8 or so on the Melee poll. Also surprised you're still doing the Toad thing.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Toad being in SSB4... o_o
And is there something wrong with that? He was discussed in much details in the last several pages...

@Pieman: Actually, Toad is quite famous for a Mario character being one of the better well known faces of the series along with Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, and Bowser. He has tons of merchandise and looking at super mario bros series gamewise- the Toads are the only characters to be directly playable in the game aside from mario and luigi and peach. This is why he is much more recognizable than many other characters including bowser jr. who people only think of just because he used a paintbrush and turned into shadow mario for one game. He didn't even fight mario with the brush in that game....

Also on a side note, Toad is also playable in Mario vs donkey kong 2 and 3 for extras as a toy version (along with mario, peach and dk). There must be a reason why he is playable in these types of games instead of other "Well known" characters.

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
I personally think if they do make a SSB4 they should expand the third party characters, people were pleased with it in brawl so why not? Id love to see some square-enix in the game. With new pokemon coming out im more than sure well have some new faces for that in the game as well.

but thats just my opinion, re-editing of some moves as weell

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Who invented the "Mario big Eight" anyways? (my money's on fan speculation) I highly doubt it was ninty. speaking of Ninten, why do people want him, the image provided to us of him is not only ugly, but looks too similar to Ness. (i assume that people want him to complete the "Mother Main Protagonists") btw, i agree completely with the thing pieman said on completion of a set (even though those sets where fan speculation. stop speculating!)

what if captain syrup were to raid Wario's company in the next Wario Ware game? she could be the next bridge to connect the two series. (the first is wario and i am assuming there is no 2nd... yet)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Arcadenik did, entirely to justify Toad. And no one wants Ninten because everyone knows he might as well be Ness. Even the series creator considers them the same kid.

Also agreeing with Pieman is almost never a good idea, he makes faulty theories that don't fit with what we've seen so far and tends to be flat out wrong with various facts. He also has yet to produce a single pie.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also agreeing with Pieman is almost never a good idea, he makes faulty theories that don't fit with what we've seen so far and tends to be flat out wrong with various facts. He also has yet to produce a single pie.
Oooooo. The gloves are off!!!

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
what?! no pie?... well, will there be cake, or is the cake a lie? oh and the Original 12 is also fan speculation. (like ninty would REALLY coin the term)

Arcade said this:
There are plenty of reasons to add Toad:

- to complete the SMB2 dream team (nostalgia is a big plus)
- to complete the NSMBWii quartet (Toad can have blue Toad and yellow Toad as palette swaps, more fanservice for the NSMBWii fans in addition to a stage and music/trophies/stickers)
- to complete the classic Mario Big Eight (again, nostalgia)
Pieman said this:
And most of the things you're saying that he'd complete are absolutely pointless. Why not throw in Doc Stewart and Pico along with Goroh because they were the original four F-Zero characters? Dixie and Kiddy as the last two playable DKC characters. Get in Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu, Young Link, and Dr. Mario in order to complete the group of cut Melee characters. You don't need to throw in the lame duck(s) of a group just for a sense of completion.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
in my search of random ****, (while looking at Funky Kong in wiki) i came across Clu Clu Land, and i am curious, how will she play out? Bubbles i mean? in Smash 4? (you can play a remake in animal crossing, there is a microgame of it, she was a secret char in king of swing, the music is in brawl)

she can shockwave, bounce people, twirl... some other made-up ****. basically do what was done to ice climbers, build from almost nothing. could anyone see anything for the wii concerning Bubbles or clu clu land 2.

another point... if devil world is optioned for ssb4, would you have "the devil" in over "Tamagon" (which just happens to be the protagonist but wasn't in captain rainbow to represent it, the devil was.)
how awesome would it be to have only a villain represent an entire game alone? (i don't know what powers he would have and i don't want him to control the screen unless it is a final smash with more extra elements like olimar's FS screen control.)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Guess I should've said "don't listen to Pieman unless he's talking to someone like Arcadenik." Also should've written something about how he makes irrelevant points like species vs. individuals but I think I missed my chance.

Anyway, regarding Bubbles:

One of the plans for Melee was to use a character who would represent NES games in general. Sakurai revealed a list of characters who had been considered (we don’t really know if it was all of them or not, though) along with reasons they had been dumped (some of the reasons were joking, some really weren’t). The rejected choices were:

-Balloon Fighter (“if his balloons were popped, he couldn’t do anything”)
-Urban Champion (“there’s not much you could do with him”)
-Bubbles (from Clu Clu Land) (“she (?) doesn’t really know how to fight”)
-Excitebike (“you’d have to install ramps on all the levels for him to be playable”)

The character that was actually chosen for this position was, of course, the Ice Climbers. Interesting that Pit apparently wasn’t in that list.

- this awesome post from SirIlpalazzo, who should post more

how awesome would it be to have only a villain represent an entire game alone?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mentioned earlier on that more franchises would probably be added to the mix next time around. As of right now, the only ones that I see as a sure thing are Starfy, Punch-Out, Golden Sun, and at least one more third party franchise. Sin and Punishment is a possibility too but I'm not entirely sure how far its appeal stretches. I once believed that Custom Robo and Advance/Nintendo Wars had a strong possibility but the future of both of them seems kind of sketchy right now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Don't forget The Last Story either. I'm sure we'll see something from that game since I believe Nintendo intends on making that a series.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What the heck is SSB4 gonna do with some sort of story mode?

We dont want the crappy melee adenture mode, but we dont want the LONG and crappy subspace emissary.

Can they meet me halfway?

"........ooooooohhhh.... i cant go any further than thiis" haha :)

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
What the heck is SSB4 gonna do with some sort of story mode?

We dont want the crappy melee adenture mode, but we dont want the LONG and crappy subspace emissary.

Can they meet me halfway?

"........ooooooohhhh.... i cant go any further than thiis" haha :)
What was wrong with the subspace emissary? The only thing i found annoying was the great maze which took way too long. Other than that the lenght of the story was just fine, it felt like an actual adventure.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And this whole "villains & females" thing is exactly the reason why we need to expand into new series, isntead of just trying to milk out that last bits of old ones.

]
Agreed.

The only veteran series that needs a newcomer is Metroid, which the only appropriate second character would be Ridley. We basically got almost all the worthy characters from veteran series in Brawl.

I do not think that Kirby, Star Fox, Wario, Yoshi, Mother, Mario, Zelda, and F-Zero need any more characters.

The only two characters who make sense as additions for villains are Ridley and K. Rool, and the only female being Dixie. However, both K. Rool and Dixie suffer due how much the DK series has declined in both popularity and quality during the past two console generations, which is a shame considering that I like and support both characters.

Edit: I keep saying we will be seeing a much smaller increase with Smash 4 compared to Melee and Brawl.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Toise, why have you been so grumpy lately? I can't say that my ideas are 100% true or anything, since everything we say he is just speculation, but what exact facts have I been wrong about? What exactly are you talking about that I say is so wrong? Is it that everything you say is right? (And quite frankly everything all of us say here is fairly irrelevant. Every system or standard anyone makes up here isn't real, so you either just don't bother with it or just go with it)

@Fatman: I think S&P could be ranked up there at this point, since it is having a actual console game come out. Allegedly Nintendo's going to try to push it in NA as well. (For the life of me, I can't get VGchartz to work, so I can't quite see how good or bad its sales are, especially compared to Golden Sun, which has a simmilar situation of a new game in the waiting....wait, where the heck is my GSDS news anyways?)

In any case, it dawns on me that there are quite a few new IPs that Nintendo has been throwing around this generation. If you actually counted up all of them, and used their main characters, you might actually have enough for a new Smash game. Of course the problem with that is that several of these guys aren't popular at all, and looking back on them, they'd just be flavor of the month. Still, I can't help but wonder if anything will actually stick. (Or if Nintendo will finally throw in the towel with them, and just get back to its older franchises)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Toise, why have you been so grumpy lately? I can't say that my ideas are 100% true or anything, since everything we say he is just speculation, but what exact facts have I been wrong about? What exactly are you talking about that I say is so wrong? Is it that everything you say is right? (And quite frankly everything all of us say here is fairly irrelevant. Every system or standard anyone makes up here isn't real, so you either just don't bother with it or just go with it)

@Fatman: I think S&P could be ranked up there at this point, since it is having a actual console game come out. Allegedly Nintendo's going to try to push it in NA as well. (For the life of me, I can't get VGchartz to work, so I can't quite see how good or bad its sales are, especially compared to Golden Sun, which has a simmilar situation of a new game in the waiting....wait, where the heck is my GSDS news anyways?)

In any case, it dawns on me that there are quite a few new IPs that Nintendo has been throwing around this generation. If you actually counted up all of them, and used their main characters, you might actually have enough for a new Smash game. Of course the problem with that is that several of these guys aren't popular at all, and looking back on them, they'd just be flavor of the month. Still, I can't help but wonder if anything will actually stick. (Or if Nintendo will finally throw in the towel with them, and just get back to its older franchises)
The only non-represented series that come close to popularity of the represented series are Golden Sun, Starfy, Punch-Out, and the Wii series. Obviously, four new characters is not enought to be build a sequel out of, however, we are not including possible new third-party characters, retro series, newcomers for veteran series, and possibly a major news series to debut in the interim between now and Smash 4 (I think it it certain that Sakurai will place in the main protagonist of Project Sora as a playable in Smash 4 assuming the protagonist is one who actually fights in his/her/its game).

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The only veteran series that needs a newcomer is Metroid, which the only appropriate second character would be Ridley. We basically got almost all the worthy characters from veteran series in Brawl.
I think Ridley should stay as some sort of boss, like MH. Ridley is too big, so it would be weird to have her (him?) shrunk down for play. If there are any new protagonists (or new cool main antagonist) for the Other M, than maybe they could be represented, unless they go generic and make a space pirate as playable. Or they could take one of the other hunters from MP3 and make them playable; if thats the case than they should make Gandrayda playable, since she could be like the Shang Tsung of Smash. I'm not saying its a good idea, just an idea to build on.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm not all that certain that Project Sora's main character is a given. Sakurai is somewhat humble. It took him a bit to add in MK and Dedede, didn't it? Then again he very well could, especially if it turns out to be a success.

But you're right about the Wii____ Series. Completely forgot about that for some reason. I mean the only thing you can do to represent them with is a Mii, but that actually works out fairly well.

EDIT: ...Ridley's not too big. I thought we went over this a thousand times.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Guess I should've said "don't listen to Pieman unless he's talking to someone like Arcadenik." Also should've written something about how he makes irrelevant points like species vs. individuals but I think I missed my chance.
Uhh... I'm not sure if I read that right... but you made it sound like Pieman is always wrong so we shouldn't listen to him but when he's debating with me, he's always right (and it means I'm always wrong). :p

@ ChronoBound

Why is Metroid the only one that needs more characters? What's so special about Metroid? There are plenty of characters that would be excellent additions to the existing franchises (I won't list them again but you guys know who I want).

Also, I don't think we can expect Mii to be playable. Sakurai doesn't think characters from Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, and Wii series are suitable as Smash fighters. To me, it seems that characters from casual games are unlikely.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only non-represented series that come close to popularity of the represented series are Golden Sun, Starfy, Punch-Out, and the Wii series. Obviously, four new characters is not enought to be build a sequel out of, however, we are not including possible new third-party characters, retro series, newcomers for veteran series, and possibly a major news series to debut in the interim between now and Smash 4 (I think it it certain that Sakurai will place in the main protagonist of Project Sora as a playable in Smash 4 assuming the protagonist is one who actually fights in his/her/its game).
I want to say that four or so is around the normal amount of newcomers in other fighting games. Of course, SSB's characters are pre-existing so you don't have to go through the whole design process which I assume saves a lot of time. With that in mind, it's not too far fetched even though I don't see it happening. If anything, we'll have four starter newcomers like Melee had (Peach, Bowser, Zelda/Sheik, Ice Climbers). I'd prefer that over Brawl with its ten starting newcomers (with the other six being unlockable along with all the other characters who ever unlockable).

With that in mind, just remember that even Sakurai himself said that just more characters being added would not justify the release for a sequel.
Also, I don't think we can expect Mii to be playable. Sakurai doesn't think characters from Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, and Wii series are suitable as Smash fighters. To me, it seems that characters from casual games are unlikely.
You guys already know my stance on Animal Crossing characters, but yes, characters like the Mii and the Nintendog are pretty unlikely. I still think the Mii shouldn't happen because it almost defeats the purpose of Super Smash Bros. You'd be playing as what would essentially be an original character.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
the metroid series is basically represented by samus, metroid is one of the top series of nintendo, that is why metroid needs more representation by other characters within the series. unfortunately, a majority of chars are gruesome beasts. high ranking chars to come in the series are (that would possibly fit in a smash environment) Ridley, Gandrayda, Sylux (is the most popular hunter and a plus for having his ship fly towards samus's ship in the 100% ending of corruption, he apparently has a grudge against the feds)... having zero suit samus represent another character is not enough even though she has a completely different moveset to her varia-suit form, it is still the same character in essence so metroid fans are not satisfied by the use of ridley as a boss character. i am not satisfied but i can still realize things from varying perspectives. if sylux is in other m (don't you dare tell me he won't because you aren't making the game, so you have no true klue what is in store in the end) then would your idea on his practicality supersede inclusion of ridley?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Uhh... I'm not sure if I read that right... but you made it sound like Pieman is always wrong so we shouldn't listen to him but when he's debating with me, he's always right (and it means I'm always wrong). :p

@ ChronoBound

Why is Metroid the only one that needs more characters? What's so special about Metroid? There are plenty of characters that would be excellent additions to the existing franchises (I won't list them again but you guys know who I want).

Metroid does not need more characters, it just needs ONE more character, which would/should be Ridley.

And Kuma brought up an interesting point, in most other fighting games, newcomers for new installments usually do not exceed ten (with the usual number being around 6 or 8 newcomers). I would not rule out the possinibility that we will see less than 12 newcomers for Smash 4. I know a lot here would be pretty ticked about that, however, keep in mind that it is pretty rare for fighting games to have more than 50 characters (and usually when they do exceed 50 characters a lot of them end up being clones or joke characters just to beef numbers up).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Before someone brings up MvC2, that roster used a LOT of recycled sprites from other games such as X-Men vs. Street Fighter, MvC1, the SFA series, and Darkstalkers (case in point, Morrigan).

Another reason why we would start to see fewer newcomers is that we're simply running out of characters. Not to say it's running low or anything thanks to unrepresented series such as Animal Crossing, Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Punch-Out!, The Last Story, Xenoblade, and Panel de Pon, it's just that this series needs pre-existing characters, at least a roster consisting of original characters requires internal creativity (read: made up by the game developers themselves).

It'll be an adjustment for casual players, but I think we'll probably only see anywhere between 10-12 characters on the roster next time at most, not counting third party characters.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Pieman: Oh come on, you took that too seriously. You should know you're one of my favorite posters here just because you're so persistent. Even if you mangle facts and/or misinterpret stuff all the time (like saying Toad's not really popular, calling Jody a love interest, or thinking DK shouldn't get any more characters because the last decade hasn't been DKC awesome).

And now ChronoBound/Snakey is back, so anything ******** you happen to say will still sound enlightening for a while.

@Arcadenik: Yes, that's correct. Also means you're the worst poster in this thread, worse than the random Sonic fans.

Here's your medal --> [M]

@Augusto: I actually wouldn't be surprised if Other M ignores the Prime series' story entirely to focus on the Sakamoto directed titles, since those tie in better with his own little timeline. Not that it matters either way since with Metroid it's either Ridley or bust.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Augusto: I actually wouldn't be surprised if Other M ignores the Prime series' story entirely to focus on the Sakamoto directed titles, since those tie in better with his own little timeline. Not that it matters either way since with Metroid it's either Ridley or bust.
I wouldn't call it little considering that it's the main timeline.

With that aside, the Metroid Prime arc was designed to be a self-contained story so there really wouldn't be much bias around its exclusion. Besides, the only thing that could appear in Other M or any future Metroid game is whatever appeared in the 100% Metroid Prime 3 ending and maybe the return of the of the Pirate Homeworld and the Luminoth.

I wouldn't count on anything from Hunters showing up either. IIRC, it's almost like the The Wand of Gamelon for the Metroid series to its fans.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
ToiseOfChoice;10353922 And now ChronoBound/Snakey is back said:
I am not sure if you are praising me or insulting me.... Anyway, I am usually not active in Smash 4 discussion as I used to be. I don't expect to become as active as I used to be until like late 2011 or possibly 2012.

^Love how blunt Toise is being. Good stuff.

Oh come on, no Goroh? I think F-Zero has some good characters to add.
I am a big fan of F-Zero. My favorite pilot in the series is Pico (though I know he will never get in). Out of Goroh and Black Shadow, I prefer Black Shadow.

I personally do feel someone like Toad is worthy to be playable in Smash Bros, however, I also feel that if Mario got no newcomers for Smash 4 that it would not be a loss considering that Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser adequately represent the series. Personally, Toad is my choice for Mario newcomer, followed by Paper Mario. I also prefer Dixie Kong over K. Rool, though I realize that K. Rool is more likely and more likely not to end up as a luigi-fied clone. However, I would say my most controvrisal opinions relate to the cut Melee characters returning and Star Fox getting another character.

Also, I agree with Kuma's comment related to Metroid Prime Hunters. Its the only Metroid game that I have only beaten once. By far the worst Metroid game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Also, I agree with Kuma's comment related to Metroid Prime Hunters. Its the only Metroid game that I have only beaten once. By far the worst Metroid game.
Being the big Metroid fan I am, I didn't even beat the game. I got bored with it 3/4 the way in. Every other one I've played (not Metroid 2), I've beaten.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@ Toise: You just seem very grumpy lately with all the personal attacks. :V

But while I still don't think Toad is that popular (I suppose he's more popular than any other character in his position in a different serie) I won't really push it. Still at least in GX, Jody was pushed as Falcon's love interest, (Remember Tanaka's special video?) though I suppose in X she really wasn't....but that's more because X doesn't have a story to speak of besides the character backgrounds. The DK thing is blatently my opinion though, and not a fact. V:

Anywaaays, in regards to the Mii, I personally don't think it defeats the point of Smash. Yes its an original creation, based around the player, but its still in the form of a Nintendo character, as its forced into the likeness of the Mii. It serves as a simple "create-a-character" that doesn't stray too far from Nintendo roots. Its also insanely popular. Even if Sakurai didn't particularly want it in, I could easily see him get overturned by the higher ups at Nintendo. Personally, it always seemed like Brawl's Online system was something that Sakurai didn't seem confident in, even back in the Dojo days, and it was kind of clear that Nintendo wanted that in first and foremost. Thus I think its possible that they could force in a "create-a-cahracter" like the Mii.

And about Metroid...None of the hunters compare to Ridley. No other character from the series (bar Samus) compare to Ridley. Samus has a tendency to kill off every single supporting character that ever shows up, so the series just doesn't have anyone else really. Think of it as if the Mario series didn't have Luigi or Peach, and every one else Mario met he just killed. Bowser would be the only real choice. There may be technical issues that keep Ridley out, but I'll eat my non-existant hat if some other character gets in before Ridley does.

Also, talking about black sheep of the Metroid series, there should be a stage based around Metroid Prime Pinball. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom