• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
The debate over Fire Emblem characters needs to end. They'll probably get ONE more rep, but the series really isn't all that deserving in comparison to many of the other represented series in Smash Bros.

Third party characters were not a favorite of Sakurai, and I completely support that, despite my longing for a couple third party appearances. I - and I hope all of you - would rather have more NINTENDO characters appear in Smash Bros. rather than non-Nintendo characters, disregarding their closeness. Odds are, Snake and Sonic will stay for SSB4, but you just really never know. Maybe they'll "be in production", but end up getting cut, just like Mewtwo and the others were.

Geno is a lost cause, and despite his cult following, he will never make it in the game. This community is only a very, very small portion of the Smash fans worldwide, and only a few of you even want Geno anymore. He was considered, yes, but the devs did not include him for good reasons. I'd rather have R.O.B. than Geno, Megaman, and many, many other characters, as he is a Nintendo character (not just an accessory anymore) and historically, has been far more important than the majority of characters already in Smash Bros.

Characters will be cut from Brawl's roster for SSB4, that's just how life works; you have to make sacrifices for the better. The only characters I see with the potential to be changed/cut are:
  • Toon Link - this Link may dwindle in appearances in Zelda, and may be replaced by another Link, and given that Young Link was changed into Toon Link, I'd say that he has a (3/5) chance of being removed.
  • Pit - is a newly rectified retro character with a decent following who sparked some spontaneous amazement upon announcement, but still contends as one of "those characters"; (1/5) chance of removal.
  • Ice Climbers - have been in for two games now, and have garnered quite a fan base, but are hated by others; (1/5) chance of removal.
  • R.O.B. - since announcement, has been extremely debated as whether or not he "deserves" a roster spot, and because he was a "WTF" character whose only importance was tied with SSE, he probably has a (3/5) chance of removal.
  • Pokemon Trainer - despite hosting the three original starter families, more Pokemon have been created since, and probably will be created between now and SSB4, so a removal is probably unlikely, but a change in character is almost inevitably a (4/5).
  • Lucario - like Mewtwo before him, he will probably be cut for a replacement with a similar build (4/5).
  • Jigglypuff - has appeared in all three Smash Bros. games, but because she's a Pokemon, and that series being very elastic when it comes to character selection, along with the following of Jigglypuff haters, she has a small chance of finally being cut at (2/5).
  • Mr. Game & Watch - despite being 99% sure that he would be cut from Melee, he survived, which has buckled him in a bit tighter; he may stand to see another Smash Bros appearance with a (2/5) chance of being cut.
  • Snake - despite having a huge following and being a commercial magnet, he is a guest character, and guest characters usually stand for one game only, and with his removal from the Metal Gear series, he unfortunately has a (4/5) chance of being cut.
  • Sonic - rivals Nintendo's own franchises in popularity on their consoles and fits very well with the Smash Bros roster, but again, he is a guest character, so I feel that he has a (3/5) chance of being cut.

Funny stuff man! You think they would cut all those people? You're joking. Lucario and Ike are the only character with a small chance of being cut and maybe Toon Link. You crack me up.

Anyways, you guys have to admit even though Master Chief can't be in SSB4, he would be an AWESOME character.

Also, BK3 will suck. It's hardly even a platformer anymore.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
What I don't get with some people and their lists is how they go completely backwards with Pokemon half the time, and bring back Mewtwo. Mewtwo was unpopular back in Melee, but for some reason, people keep clamering for him. If you make a list though, and he's the only new Pokemon reprentative, then that's just dumb. Mewtwo is unlikely to get back in, very unlikely, and making him the the new representative basically turns SSB's back on all of the games the Pokemon series has had since its original one. If another Pokemon comes in as a PC from the first generation, its going to have to be as unique as PT, otherwise, you should know better that it won't happen.
I see one HUUGE flaw in this argument...

If Mewtwo was unpopular..then people wouldn't be 'clamering' for him to come back...

-----------------------
Why would the ice climbers be cut? he same thing you said for them can be applied to characters lik Game and Watch and Marth...?

And I don't think ROB will be cut... why would he? He is a good, and unique, retro character. If you haven't noticed, Smash Bros. is obsessed with Nintendo's past. Note all the trophies giving you the games characters first appeared in and the retro characters and what not...

edit: And ah yes, to my list, I meant to have Pit in! My bad! And I forgot Lucario too! Oops!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Funny stuff man! You think they would cut all those people? You're joking. Lucario and Ike are the only character with a small chance of being cut and maybe Toon Link. You crack me up.

Anyways, you guys have to admit even though Master Chief can't be in SSB4, he would be an AWESOME character.
You're an idiot. I never said that they would all be cut, but if anyone from Brawl were to be cut, they would be candidates, hence, why I rated them accordingly.

And Master Chief would be a horrible character. He has no signature moves, and would be based entirely around guns. A terrible, terrible character indeed.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
That's the point that I made when saying that Banjo-Kazooie won't be in.. why did RARE have to leave...
I see your point, but actually they have a chance since Donkey Kong is Rare and so is banjo, so it might work but might not. Especially since Banjo-Kazooie went to Microsoft (big fat TRAITORS)

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
^Nintendo has the rights to Donkey Kong, Rare doesn't have them any more... hence why we don't see K. Rool as much any more...and we see more bongos and strange foreign gameplay that isn't nearly good as DKC... **** you Nintendo... **** you.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I see your point, but actually they have a chance since Donkey Kong is Rare and so is banjo, so it might work but might not. Especially since Banjo-Kazooie went to Microsoft (big fat TRAITORS)
Nintendo sold Rare to microsoft for 337 million bucks.

Not a bad deal, I'd say.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, yes, that would definitely add a little more spicy uniqueness into the already-heated Smashing arena. Lucario brought Aura... We need more characters with unique attributes like that. I WOULD count Ganondorf, as he's the only one with Dark attacks (excluding Giga Bowser), but being Mewtwo had that as well, even if it was in Melee... Ehh. And I have a feeling due to high popular demand Mewtwo may return, thus those two will be sharing the same Dark qualities again.

That's just what I think, anywho.
Why does everyone want Mewtwo back so badly? I've watched hundreds of videos on youtube, and I don't recall ever seeing mewtwo in a tourney. And as for unique characters, I'll recommend Adeline. She wasn't much of a kirby character, but specials like attacking with drawings could bring up alot of possibilites.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
^Nintendo has the rights to Donkey Kong, Rare doesn't have them any more... hence why we don't see K. Rool as much any more...and we see more bongos and strange foreign gameplay that isn't nearly good as DKC... **** you Nintendo... **** you.
Actually, when Nintendo sold Rare, they got the rights to all characters that Rare made in both the Donkey Kong and Starfox universes.

Why does everyone want Mewtwo back so badly? I've watched hundreds of videos on youtube, and I don't recall ever seeing mewtwo in a tourney. And as for unique characters, I'll recommend Adeline. She wasn't much of a kirby character, but specials like attacking with drawings could bring up alot of possibilites.
Well, Mewtwo is wanted back so much because

1. He was the only non-clone character cut.
2. He is a deserving character, more so than Lucario.

Even though Mewtwo never won any tournaments, people love him as the badass Psychic Pokemon he is. Besides, it's not like buffing him up and giving him some better moves would've been a problem.

Ilex

Smash Ace
If Mewtwo hadn't been in Melee no one would even want him back. I never played Melee much so I can say without bias that there is no reason for him to be in a Smash game. For one, the last game that Mewtwo was featured in was released over a decade ago and there are other legendary Pokemon who have been released since then. On top of that, 75% of the Pokemon in Smash so far have been from the 1st gen even though there are 4 generations to date. Gimme a 3rd gen like Deoxys or another 2nd gen (This is likely if a G/S remake comes out), not more 1st gens.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Well of course you can't want something back if you never had it 2 begin with.. :/
And Mewtwo is still one of the more recognizable pokemon.

But yea you do have a point. The 1st gen. is getting all the attention. One from each gen. (two from first--Jiggly). Or how bout this:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
-Tododile (AWESOME!)
-Treeko
-Chimchar
--These are only 1st evos. But they are from 2-4th gen..? Idk I just said Tododile and Treeko cuz I love the heck outta these guys. Treeko is just badass to me :] and tododile's final evo feraligatr is my favorite starter (along with treeko/sceptile hehe)...!

hmm I'mnot sure where I'm going with this post but Pokemon has a LOOOT of reps to choose from, and I think Pokemon Trainer should be utilized better in order to include more of those reps into one character slot, so Smash wouldn't be sinning by placing something above Mario haha.

So umm bring back Mewtwo and use Deoxys...!
Or hell throw in another pokemon trainer using completely different pokemon. (two pokemon trainers = not clones, just same concept....!)

Ilex

Smash Ace
1. **** Mewtwo
2. Change Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon (Totodile,Grovyle,Infernape)
3. Deoxys

That would give Pokemon:
Pikachu- 1st
Deoxys- 3rd
Lucario replacement- 5th
Pokemon Trainer:
Totodile- 2nd
Grovyle- 3rd
Infernape- 4th

This way each gen would have had at least 2 reps throughout Smash Bros, it seems pretty fair to me.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Spire III said:
Snake - despite having a huge following and being a commercial magnet, he is a guest character, and guest characters usually stand for one game only, and with his removal from the Metal Gear series, he unfortunately has a (4/5) chance of being cut.
Sonic - rivals Nintendo's own franchises in popularity on their consoles and fits very well with the Smash Bros roster, but again, he is a guest character, so I feel that he has a (3/5) chance of being cut.
Since when are these two considered "guest characters"? What does that even mean, exactly?

Also I'd rather have SSB4 add no new Nintendo characters, and just put in a whole crapload of third parties. But that isn't going to happen. Point is: enough with all the third-party hate, guys.

And Master Chief would be a horrible character. He has no signature moves, and would be based entirely around guns. A terrible, terrible character indeed.
No signature moves, eh? B = Plasma Pistol, Side B = Energy Sword, Down B = Bubble Shield, Up B = Man Cannon.

I love Master Chief. The Halo games are some of the best games of the decade, and they have a really cool protagonist. He'd be fun to play as, at least.

But again, never going to happen. People do need to shut up about him. :ohwell:

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME said:
and we see more bongos and strange foreign gameplay that isn't nearly good as DKC... kudos to you Nintendo... kudos to you.
Hey, I love Jungle Beat. That game trumps every other DK game ever
(IMHO)

The game was a critical darling, and yet the "fans" all hated it. This confounds me.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Sorry but I at least feel that DKC was waaay better. Don't get me wrong. The bongos were ok. But they downgraded, in my opinion.

edit: at Ilex: Don't forget Jiggs

Boxob

Smash Champion
I would love Meowth (why wasn't he in ssb64 instead of Jigglypuff again?), but it's too late now D:
Most everything that was lacking in smash was due to time constraints.

One thing I can think of that they had time for, but couldn't do was including DDD In Melee.
He was supposed to be in the original - Time constraints. Surely he'd be in Melee. They failed to think of a Side B for him -_-

Fail, Nintendo, fail.

Ilex

Smash Ace
Most everything that was lacking in smash was due to time constraints.

One thing I can think of that they had time for, but couldn't do was including DDD In Melee.
He was supposed to be in the original - Time constraints. Surely he'd be in Melee. They failed to think of a Side B for him -_-

Fail, Nintendo, fail.
That's stupid, they could've just used his 'zigzag-on-chest-turns-into-charging-gaping-mouth-of-doom technique' from Crystal Shards.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Boxob... your kidding about the DDD side b thing...right? :/

And ilex I figured you did haha but eh Jiggly isn't that bad she is just an 'advanced' character... plus it's tradition! Can't go wrong with tradition!

And the smash taem really messed up by not making jiggs available after your first run-through in classic. >:l

Boxob

Smash Champion
Boxob... your kidding about the DDD side b thing...right? :/

And ilex I figured you did haha but eh Jiggly isn't that bad she is just an 'advanced' character... plus it's tradition! Can't go wrong with tradition!

And the smash taem really messed up by not making jiggs available after your first run-through in classic. >:l
I'm not kidding.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Wow... that's just... sad :/...

but um yea.. if masterchief were to magically get in.. then everyone would want marcus fenix..phoenix..?.. and then pretty soon we'd all be playing grand theft smash bros. BOO THAT!

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Somebody said something about the characters in Brawl not adding more depth to the game. And with broken tier characters, I sort of agree.
All characters should have strengths and weaknesses that make them counters to other characters.
Although there are match up thingies, there are still characters that are too pwnsauce.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I see one HUUGE flaw in this argument...

If Mewtwo was unpopular..then people wouldn't be 'clamering' for him to come back...
Because that only happened when he was removed, and only bya vocal few. There really aren't that many people who have had real problems with Mewtwo. Roy has his share of people complaining also, but you know he's not coming back.

And the fact still stands that its negative progression for the series.

EDIT: Dedede wasn't cut out of Melee because they couldn't think of a side B...that's just a really bad theory. >_>

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
MasterChief? I don't see why not, as long as he has a good introduction before the release like Snake, and Microsoft approaches Nintendo. It would be pretty cool, since we could watch Samus stomp the cr@p outa the Chief. Haloid people. Haloid.

Oh, and the Original 8 are definitely gonna be in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Random tripping needs to die, but stuff like the banana tripping is a pretty cool addition to the game.
Tripping is an interesting mechanic, but it should only occur when you're on slippery terrain, slip on banana peels, or get hit by certain weak attacks. Random tripping is just dumb.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Yea trippin is...wtf? I mean getting tripped from attacks like ROBs down tap (forgot the name :/) is ok, and useful, but random tripping just sucks... banana trips and what not are ok though

Ilex

Smash Ace
MasterChief? I don't see why not, as long as he has a good introduction before the release like Snake, and Microsoft approaches Nintendo. It would be pretty cool, since we could watch Samus stomp the cr@p outa the Chief. Haloid people. Haloid.

Oh, and the Original 8 are definitely gonna be in.
Masterchief should NEVER be in Brawl. If they ever lower themselves so far to add Masterchief to the roster, hopefully he's bottom of the bottom tier and Jigglypuff can kick the crap out of him.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Masterchief should NEVER be in Brawl. If they ever lower themselves so far to add Masterchief to the roster, hopefully he's bottom of the bottom tier and Jigglypuff can kick the crap out of him.
But it's been chemically proven that 99% of the time she can survive a PAWNCH! to the face(given that it misses. Results may vary.). I think that she would be able to beat Master Chief and the rest of the cast, too.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
What's your hate with Master Chief? on the contrary, it's the Chief who would majorily "PWN" that pink singing blob you call a pokemon :p

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Hey GigaKoopa! I was wondering what happened to you. You disappeared 7 or so pages back. The Tag team final smashes is actually a good idea, as was the smash meter.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
so what new mechanics do people think will be in ssb4? I suggested this a while back but want to re-introduce it: Tag-Team Final smashes.
Tag-Team sure sound interesting, and I agree this feature would really help out a bunch a novice "n00b" players out when their percentage is critical, one mechanic I'm thinking of is impact areas where we could shadings of color (such as red for poor impact, blue for good for intance) when an attack makes contact we could determine how good an attack landed as well as timing I guess.

Hey GigaKoopa! I was wondering what happened to you. You disappeared 7 or so pages back.
lol.. why so? this thread moves by so fast that I didn't realize I am way back that many pages

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Tag-team final smashes: when in team battle when one player gets a smash ball and activates it both players join together to execute a super powered final smash. Like mario and luigi would do a suoer barrage of fireballs. Or somehting like that.

And giga i remeber you suggesting that a while back. Its a good idea in theory but wouldn't the colors get in the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom