• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I decided to edit it to that once I listened to it. The battle theme is amazing.

And I kinda want it badly; Gonna rent it out myself first since I'm partly a critic and XII/12 was probably my least favorite of the main series. Still looks fantastic in some area's.

...have to wait until the summer to even play it ;-;
You're going to love it. The Paradigm Shift system and the new ATB system makes the fights more exciting. If you don't already know, Paradigm Shift allows to essentially change the "jobs" of each character in a fight. You change it to fit the situation. Come to think of it, if Lightning was in Super Smash Bros., this would be perfect for her.

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
...Nemesis?
I know that I probably shouldn't make a totally serious response to this, but it is interesting that in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, they considered using creatures from Resident Evil to represent the series (specifically the Tyrant), but they dropped the idea because they would look too grotesque. I would imagine that something similar would work against them in Smash too.

Snake already fills the niche that most / all human RE characters would (the only one I can see being very unique is Wesker, and he seems like he would have a pretty generic moveset in Smash). But if Capcom really wanted Nintendo to put in a Resident Evil character, I guess the possibility is there.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Maybe Ashley. lol no.

I don't think RE needs a rep. Megaman is fine for Capcom.

However in Tatsunoko vs Capcom I think that Ryu is the main Capcom guy. He's Megaman's real competition.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Megaman has a much larger fan base than Ryu...though it would be pretty awesome to use Ryu. I kind o fthink it would be intresting to add a second from the company (not from series) to the third party lists.

Sega- Sonic and Billy Hatcher (haha)

Konami- Snake and Bomberman...?

Capcom- Megaman and Ryu

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Maybe Ashley. lol no.

I don't think RE needs a rep. Megaman is fine for Capcom.

However in Tatsunoko vs Capcom I think that Ryu is the main Capcom guy. He's Megaman's real competition.
Mind you that Ryu is pretty much the face of the fighting game genre. That's why him and Chun-Li are the two front most on the boxart. Also, on the NamcoXCapcom boxart, Megaman's in the bottom center. Of course, I wouldn't look too much into this other than that if it won't be Megaman, it'll be Ryu for a Capcom character.

For second characters, I'd go with NiGHTS, Simon Belmont, and Ryu. I'd find it amusing to see how the announcer pronounces Ryu.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Megaman has a much larger fan base than Ryu...though it would be pretty awesome to use Ryu. I kind o fthink it would be intresting to add a second from the company (not from series) to the third party lists.

Sega- Sonic and Billy Hatcher (haha)

Konami- Snake and Bomberman...?

Capcom- Megaman and Ryu
If I had my way, it'd be Sonic and Vyse (Skies of Arcadia), Snake and Simon Belmont, and MM and Chun Li (I can't help but feel she'd be a better choice overall than Ryu, though I'm sure most people disagree with that)

@ Koopa

I'd think that Terra's Theme would be even more iconic really. Heck, I'd think that the boss theme is probably better than Dancing Mad too. Its a pretty overated song really.

In regards to the FFIV stuff, I don't think you'd need a track that represents things from both FF and SMRPG, since when you assume that SE and Nintendo are working together, then they can probably use other/better SMRPG music in the Mario stages. Thus its not really an issue. Plus its not all that great of a song, especially compared to Zeromus. =/

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
For second characters, I'd go with NiGHTS, Simon Belmont, and Ryu.
sounds good, but replace Simon Belmont for Richter Belmont or more notably Alucard. Only based on the fact that they are equally well known and Alucards coolness and uniqueness factor is off the charts compared to the Belmonts.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If I had my way, it'd be Sonic and Vyse (Skies of Arcadia), Snake and Simon Belmont, and MM and Chun Li (I can't help but feel she'd be a better choice overall than Ryu, though I'm sure most people disagree with that)

@ Koopa

I'd think that Terra's Theme would be even more iconic really. Heck, I'd think that the boss theme is probably better than Dancing Mad too. Its a pretty overated song really.

In regards to the FFIV stuff, I don't think you'd need a track that represents things from both FF and SMRPG, since when you assume that SE and Nintendo are working together, then they can probably use other/better SMRPG music in the Mario stages. Thus its not really an issue. Plus its not all that great of a song, especially compared to Zeromus. =/
AH, I forgot abou Vyse (It never occurs to me he is SEGA). I'd definitely choose him as well. Care to clarify on Chun-li though? I don't see what she adds that Ryu doesnt.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ElPanandero said:
Care to clarify on Chun-li though? I don't see what she adds that Ryu doesnt.
Feminine charm :) but seriously she seems like she would fit into smash better imo.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
AH, I forgot abou Vyse (It never occurs to me he is SEGA). I'd definitely choose him as well. Care to clarify on Chun-li though? I don't see what she adds that Ryu doesnt.
Chun-Li is the first playable girl fighting game character and pretty much set up the token Chinese girl you see in fighting games. Still, this does not, imo, give her priority over Ryu. Technically, Ryu is the main character of the Street Fighter series so it makes more sense to add him.

Nonetheless, watch these two be in the center of Nintendo vs. Capcom should it happen.

Feminine charm :) but seriously she seems like she would fit into smash better imo.
She would fit fine in Smash. Her TvC specials are enough evidence of that. However, Ryu would no doubt be the better choice considering that Mario and Luigi in SSB pretty much had the same specials Ryu has (save for Red Hadouken and Donkey Kick).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
"It's an overrated song" Is hardly an excuse considering almost every choice I picked (Disregarding the Tactics choices and the FF11 and 2 choice) to there perspective games.

Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah. As I said, It goes with Kefka. Kefka was a huge role in that game (Seriously, read any top list with FFVI/6 in it). It captures the overall emotion of the game.

Terra's theme is still neat and I was very close on picking the boss theme but I already have superior boss themes on there; And It's the most memorable in the Nintendo era/One of the most memorable to the fans.

Do I need anything else to? It's for sure one of the more logical picks from FFVI. Now the most logical is a debateable one but It has so much going for it.

Oh and to top that with the themes for each character you also have to remember that FFVI has the largest playable cast and most "This person is not the specific protaginist" mentions.

I never said that's the reason why it was picked.

Zeromus is an iconic/popular/etc song from FFIV (And might I mention Final Boss theme - which I tried to avoid as much as possible.)
FF4 boss theme is an iconic/popular/etc song from FFIV and partly in SMRPG

It's about the ability to hit two birds with one stone. From a logical standpoint, If you were making the soundtrack, why would you not go with the FF4 Boss theme? Just the fact that it hits two heavily liked fanbases at once even If you can access other tracks from FF4 and SMRPG is a very nice touch already.

And asides from "It's not all that great of a song" There's nothing that can have it priority over the FF4 boss theme. There's not even much that makes the Zeromus theme stand out in the series compared to other final boss themes (Despite it being amazing) - Dancing Mad is one of the longest songs in the series; That's a lot. One Winged Angel is the most popular in the series; That's a lot. Zeromus is...Neat?

So even If you take out the fact that "It's in SMRPG" there's still much more that makes it preceed over in just FF4. SMRPG is just the icing on the cake.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
"It's an overrated song" Is hardly an excuse considering almost every choice I picked (Disregarding the Tactics choices and the FF11 and 2 choice) to there perspective games.
I suppose, but what I mean is that it gets a lot more hooplah than it deserves. One Winged Angel isn't really worth all the praise it gets, but the song does come closer to matching its hype.

Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah. As I said, It goes with Kefka. Kefka was a huge role in that game (Seriously, read any top list with FFVI/6 in it). It captures the overall emotion of the game.
I was tempted to go "not it doesn't" here, but that's sort of pointless, since saying any song captures the overall emotion of the game is just a matter of opinion. Still, I'd really have to disagree that it captures the spirit of the whole game (I'd personally go with Aria di Mezzo Carattere) and would also like to point out that the excuse that Kefka's role was large is invalidated by the fact that Terra's role was even larger.

Oh and to top that with the themes for each character you also have to remember that FFVI has the largest playable cast and most "This person is not the specific protaginist" mentions.
Its still clearly Terra. :embarrass

I never said that's the reason why it was picked.

Zeromus is an iconic/popular/etc song from FFIV (And might I mention Final Boss theme - which I tried to avoid as much as possible.)
FF4 boss theme is an iconic/popular/etc song from FFIV and partly in SMRPG

It's about the ability to hit two birds with one stone. From a logical standpoint, If you were making the soundtrack, why would you not go with the FF4 Boss theme? Just the fact that it hits two heavily liked fanbases at once even If you can access other tracks from FF4 and SMRPG is a very nice touch already.

And asides from "It's not all that great of a song" There's nothing that can have it priority over the FF4 boss theme. There's not even much that makes the Zeromus theme stand out in the series compared to other final boss themes (Despite it being amazing) - Dancing Mad is one of the longest songs in the series; That's a lot. One Winged Angel is the most popular in the series; That's a lot. Zeromus is...Neat?

So even If you take out the fact that "It's in SMRPG" there's still much more that makes it preceed over in just FF4. SMRPG is just the icing on the cake.
The fact that it can represent SMRPG is pointless though since SMRPG would be much better represented by other music. There's no need to hit two birds with one stone when you get two inferior birds. While I can't speak fully for FFIV fans, SMRPG fans would almost certainly want a better song to represent their game.

And how is Dancing Mad being a long song give it priority?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I suppose, but what I mean is that it gets a lot more hooplah than it deserves. One Winged Angel isn't really worth all the praise it gets, but the song does come closer to matching its hype.
A lot of songs in general don't get the "Praise they deserve". I can say that for tons of songs.

Besides, other FFVI fans like it too. I was kinda going for a mix of "wat" and a mix of "YES! THAT TRACK!"

I was tempted to go "not it doesn't" here, but that's sort of pointless, since saying any song captures the overall emotion of the game is just a matter of opinion. Still, I'd really have to disagree that it captures the spirit of the whole game (I'd personally go with Aria di Mezzo Carattere) and would also like to point out that the excuse that Kefka's role was large is invalidated by the fact that Terra's role was even larger.
Well yeah, but you have to still remember that Kefka is more mentioned each time. It's much like how Sephiroth and Cloud are far more mentioned than every other FF7 character. It makes it more memorable and pretty much...More everything. FF6 just had so many chaotic devious and inhumane things and the song right there represents it.

Also it mixes parts of Kefka's theme. ; )

The fact that it can represent SMRPG is pointless though since SMRPG would be much better represented by other music. There's no need to hit two birds with one stone when you get two inferior birds. While I can't speak fully for FFIV fans, SMRPG fans would almost certainly want a better song to represent their game.
How is that pointless If Sakurai can get other SMRPG songs for other stages?

It wasn't the reason to pick it over the Zeromus battle theme; Just one of them. As I said, iconic song in both games vs around as iconic song which isn't iconic to the overall series as much.

Still I really do like the zeromus battle theme.

And how is Dancing Mad being a long song give it priority?
It shows it's different in the series.

And for you to envision what the stage would be: A forest at night time. Well less trees and stuff. MAybe with a castle in the backdrop.

Hope that helps on criticizing.

UberMario

Smash Master
That battle theme really doesn't fit SMRPG's scenario, just like the boss it plays for.

It was supposed to be one of those things that make you go, "Why the heck was that added?".

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Koopa

Wait, wait, wait...The stage is a forest at night time with a castle in the background? That changes a lot of things. Dancing Mad, One Winged Angel, Zeromus, and pretty much any other final boss music wouldn't fit at all. Heck, most combat music doesn't really fit, and I'd refer you to some more "adventure" or quietly oriented music rather than "epic fight" music. =/

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
@Koopa

Wait, wait, wait...The stage is a forest at night time with a castle in the background? That changes a lot of things. Dancing Mad, One Winged Angel, Zeromus, and pretty much any other final boss music wouldn't fit at all. Heck, most combat music doesn't really fit, and I'd refer you to some more "adventure" oriented music rather than "epic fight" music. =/
Well what else were you thinking to fit the scenery then? I have a hard time with 13 pretty different games :[ (especially with two I haven't played yet; Probably won't ever actually pay for the MMO)

Or maybe it can just be inside a tower or something; That'd fit much better. Maybe a setting with crystals. THIS IS SO EVIL TO DECIDE.

And to finish off the song debate stuff generally: (Not just my opinions)
FF4 Boss theme > Zeromus
Dancing Mad > FF6 Boss theme
FF4 Boss theme > FF6 Boss theme
Dancing Mad > Zeromus (Zeromus appeared one time in the entire game while Kefka...A ton? Yeah.)

That explains what I've been meaning to say in tons of text.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well what else were you thinking to fit the scenery then? I have a hard time with 13 pretty different games :[ (especially with two I haven't played yet; Probably won't ever actually pay for the MMO)

Or maybe it can just be inside a tower or something; That'd fit much better. Maybe a setting with crystals. THIS IS SO EVIL TO DECIDE.
I thought it was a temple or vague trans-dimensional zone type place with a lot of floating platforms or crystals and stuff to fit in line with a sort of other worldly battleground, which would thus fit well enough with several final boss style musical choices as well as other battle/boss themes, seeing as you have a rather lax amount of relaxed musical choices. Then again I suppose with a vague trans-dimensional zone type place, you can have calm music too. That's just how nice vague trans-dimensional zone type places are. (Though they can't really take in stuff like a jazzy Chocobo theme...but neither can a night forest really)

And to finish off the song debate stuff generally: (Not just my opinions)
FF4 Boss theme > Zeromus
Dancing Mad > FF6 Boss theme
Dancing Mad > Zeromus (Zeromus appeared one time in the entire game while Kefka...A ton? Yeah.)

That explains what I've been meaning to say in tons of text.

While I can't agree fully with most opinions there, I can understand the view point, but seriously, you've got to be joking about this one.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I thought it was a temple or vague trans-dimensional zone type place with a lot of floating platforms or crystals and stuff to fit in line with a sort of other worldly battleground, which would thus fit well enough with several final boss style musical choices as well as other battle/boss themes, seeing as you have a rather lax amount of relaxed musical choices. Then again I suppose with a vague trans-dimensional zone type place, you can have calm music too. That's just how nice vague trans-dimensional zone type places are. (Though they can't really take in stuff like a jazzy Chocobo theme...but neither can a night forest really)
Hmm...How about a place like the crystal rooms in FF4 before you get the crystal? You should know what I'm talking about If you've played any. It's in other FF's and I can get a screenshot If you need it.

While I can't agree fully with most opinions there, I can understand the view point, but seriously, you've got to be joking about this one.
Nope. Not just SMRPG but the fact It's more of a notable song to that. That and FF4's is just so catchy/less repetitive/the fact it has more, well, momentum and smashing feel to it.

It's not FF6's fault; It's soundtrack was probably my favorite and just has too many good songs. ;-;

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Koops, Piedmon, youse gues better be going somewhere with this final fantasy music list. if im not mistaken, someone had said that it was a conversation of music that relieved us of the pass to ill fated arguments (im paraphrasing) im not going to back track but i think it was pieman0920.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Koops, Piedmon, youse gues better be going somewhere with this final fantasy music list. if im not mistaken, someone had said that it was a conversation of music that relieved us of the pass to ill fated arguments (im paraphrasing) im not going to back track but i think it was pieman0920.
wat

and we actually are going somewhere with it; A lot of us actually mostly agree asides from "I'd change this personally" the problem is just the theme of the stage now. We also generally agree it's one of the better ones out there If they were to try to appease to most fans and whatnot with each game.

...Okay; I'm sure some fans of a certain few like FF2 will be disappointed in the choice

also

stage type example there - Just to get an idea of my envisions.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Going back to Megaman music for a moment... >_>

Without a doubt Solarman's theme is the most popular from MM10, and this is taken from many places beyond simply Youtube.

Here is a great remix of Solarman's theme that popped up recently. One word... EPIC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_Le1SKn-o

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not sure why we're arguing about FF music. Isn't almost all of it good?

Also, Solar Man remix is pretty tight.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Echofinder said:
here's my newcomers list:

MADE IN NINTENDO
Bowser Jr.
Waluigi
Black Shadow
Roy
Lyn
I tend to consider Waluigi the single worst character to enter Nintendo's roster. He's an abomination of the video game industry, and the epitome of it's worst aspect, "lack of innovation".

Waluigi, a history of insignificance

First off the groundwork, to truly understand how horrifically bad Waluigi is. Mario was invented solo, and then they ripped him off with their 2 player creation of Luigi as they simple got rid of the beer belly, made him taller, gave him green overalls and whacked an L on his cap instead. Voila, new playable character for 2 player. Then they needed some kind of rival for Mario, and instead they made an even fatter, uglier version of Mario, called him Wario, put him in some ugly clothes and put a W on his cap. Voila, villain/rival for Mario. At the time, video games were hardly sophisticated ordeals, story was more than lacking in most cases and innovation wasn't exactly mandatory for a good video game.

Enter the year 2000, by some kind of magical time machine or something, and we're on the N64 where such games as Banjo-Kazooie, OOT, Mario Kart 64 etc. are practically reinventing genres and setting the bar of excellence left, right and centre. Camelot fired up a lovely Mario sport game for us in the form of Mario Tennis 64. But oh wait, they needed to pad out the roster a bit. As a result of this, Wario's probably incredibly illegitimate little brother Waluigi was born, created by Camelot for their sport game. Yes, that's right, Waluigi wasn't even created by Nintendo.

Waluigi is a rip-off in every fiber of his existence. His clothes, stolen from Luigi and then dyed purple, probably using some of Wario's purple dye since it's the same color I believe as the purple part of Wario's old outfit, cleverly inverting the L in the same fashion as the W is an inverse of M, made him lanky and tall like Luigi, made thinner versions of Wario's facial features and made him Wario's younger brother. They even took the "Wa" prefix from Wario and added it onto Luigi which when you think about it makes no sense at all. Considering that at this point games were no longer acceptable as story-less linear adventures, it's no surprise Waluigi hasn't evolved from what he is because what he is is nothing. He's a ripoff of 2 Mario ripoffs, making him a ripoff ripoff, ripoff ripoff. Sweet.

Since then, he has made absolutely no contribution to the Mario universe, other than really being a filler character in all of the party/sports games and playing tacked on minor antagonist roles in some. His big breakthrough was in DDR Mario Mix where he played the main villain, and so his importance is obvious to all 7 people that bought the game . So why do people like him? Well, it's probably the fact that he's similar to Wario in character design *cough*rippedoffcompletely*cough* and so anyone that has a liking to Wario will probably be attracted to Waluigi too. However, evidently Wario has evolved so much more since he now has his own franchise, a new look and a repertoire of toilet humour gags. But will Waluigi ever evolve in the same way? Maybe, but I consider it more in terms of siblings where the older brother was a planned baby and then the younger was more of an...accident. You know, there's bound to be favouritism somewhere along the line.

Waluigi, if included in the next Smash Bros, could probably not be much more than a stupid lanky clone of luigi, who's already a clone, so he'd end up being a ripoff ripoff, ripoff ripoff clone of a clone. That's a whole lot of lacking innovation right there. "But no!" I hear Jimmy the Waluigi fan cry, "He has the potential for a completely new moveset!". Yes Jimmy, you're certainly right, he DOES, but the question isn't "What would his new moveset be?" it's "Why should Sakurai waste his time inventing a whole moveset for some unpopular filler character, when there's so many decent Brawl characters with an interesting history, franchise significance, a moveset which writes itself and is actually popular, and even then (See: Ganondorf, the Star Fox cast.)

So what exactly has Waluigi ever done to deserve a spot over possibly hundreds of decent Smash candidates? Because he shared a partnership with Wario in no more than 2 Tennis games or because he's Wario's 'brother' he deserves in? In truth Waluigi's personality is thinner than Game + Watch, there's generic enemies with more style and neither have a look that would make the first creatures that went onto land want to crawl back into the Primordial Soup.

Sorry if I made a really boring, long post stating the obvious, and while I tried to include a few laughs along the way to make a recap of Waluigi a bit more bearable it's tough when the topic of including him in Smash makes you want to cry.

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Waluigi and Bowser Jr. both suffer from the same issue, which is that the main argument for them is "they're important in their own series" (that's not exactly how Waluigi's support is phrased, but it's the same general idea). And that kind of goes hand-in-hand with "well, Mario is out of really important characters to use, so they're the next step". I don't think including second-string characters just for the sake of having more characters from that series, or to represent certain aspects of the series (like Waluigi being a "party game representative") is something that really goes through the dev team's minds.

I don't dislike Waluigi, but I don't think there's any good reason for him to be playable. His assist trophy status is perfect for him.

Even though Ryu is the main character of his series, Chun-Li is iconic and major enough that this is one of the only situations where I think it might not be crazy to use a character besides the main one. But I have to agree with the sentiment that a Mega Man character would be used over a Street Fighter character if it was entirely up to the dev team. But as someone said a little bit ago, third-parties are the hardest thing to predict because there are more factors involved than there are for Nintendo characters. Capcom could approach Nintendo and say "we would really like it if you could use Guile in the new Smash you're developing" and Nintendo's side might have some reason to go through with it that wouldn't even occur to us.

The logical choice for Castlevania would be Simon Belmont, for the same reasons that Marth is in the game. But who knows.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
sounds good, but replace Simon Belmont for Richter Belmont or more notably Alucard. Only based on the fact that they are equally well known and Alucards coolness and uniqueness factor is off the charts compared to the Belmonts.
Already beaten to this, but Simon's the face of the whole series. And I don't keep track of Castlevania character cameos, but I'm pretty sure out of the dozen or so times Konami has done them, only once did they not use Simon. Plus I like this picture.

It is also heresy to consider Alucard cooler than the Belmont family. Or at least Simon, Trevor, or Richter.

@Pieman/Koops: I'd figure the stage would be entirely dependent on who the character is. Preferably something that doesn't force a specific tone like a final dungeon or a quaint village or crystal palace or whatever. Outdoors I guess.

Something like an airship, or maybe something more specific like the Big Bridge or the field in Narshe where you fight Kefka. Places you could fit both a goofy Chocobo theme and an intense boss theme.

Generally I'd prefer avoiding the overly hyped fight songs in favor of a wider variety in styles that the series is known for. Think that's more in line with what Pieman's suggesting though I might be wrong. Also negative points to Pieman for the dumb anime gif and even more negative points for Koops liking certain songs more than the FFVI boss theme.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Already beaten to this, but Simon's the face of the whole series. And I don't keep track of Castlevania character cameos, but I'm pretty sure out of the dozen or so times Konami has done them, only once did they not use Simon. Plus I like this picture.
It is also heresy to consider Alucard cooler than the Belmont family. Or at least Simon, Trevor, or Richter.
I wouldn't say that Simon is the face of the series, just happens to be the original.

True he has seen many cameos, but so has Richter and Alucard.

I didn't mean to take away anything from the Belmonts, but Alucard is definitely on equal footing with the likes of Simon, Richter, and Trevor.

The only reason I don't particularly care for Simon is just based on his look; if they changed his character model I might consider him. The reason I consider Alucard the better choice for a fighter such as a Smash game is based purely on abilities. He is more magic oriented than the rest, he has his familiars (the pixie, sword, bat, demon, etc.). Not to mention how he can change into a bat, wolf, or poison mist. I Just think his character holds more potential (though I know the ability to transform into stuff is a little complicated for a smash game and probably not even feasible). As if all that weren't enough, he is the star of arguably the best Castlevania installment to date.

But then again, not having a Belmont weilding the Whip of Alchemy to represent Castlevania is almost blasphemy. Perhaps if Castlevania had a duo representing in SSB4 like FE has since melee then I could see Simon and Alucard, or Richter and Alucard (my personal preference)

Edit:I like that picture too :)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm...How about a place like the crystal rooms in FF4 before you get the crystal? You should know what I'm talking about If you've played any. It's in other FF's and I can get a screenshot If you need it.
It could work. Personally though, I was thinking something more like FF7's stage from FF Dissidia.

Nope. Not just SMRPG but the fact It's more of a notable song to that. That and FF4's is just so catchy/less repetitive/the fact it has more, well, momentum and smashing feel to it.

It's not FF6's fault; It's soundtrack was probably my favorite and just has too many good songs. ;-;
Again, saying what's better or not is generally a case of opinions, but...I've still go to question how you're really ranking IV's boss music over VI. I understand that you may want to say Dancing Mad would be a better choice, and depending on the stage it may be, but really now. The start of IV's boss fight music is pretty bad, and it only gets good at around half a minute. Its build up is screwed up, especially in comparison to FFVI's boss music.

@StarP: ...But its such a meh song, especially compared to Nitro Man's theme. D:

@Waluigi thing: I don't think he'll be in the next game, but I do think that there's a chance. While most of the hardcore fans hate his guts, a large crowd out there has to like him, otherwise he wouldn't show up in all the sports games that he has. If Sakurai decides that the sports aspect of the Mario series needs to be highlighted, Waluigi is basically the front line guy to get playable representation.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@StarP: ...But its such a meh song, especially compared to Nitro Man's theme. D:
I am with you, I do not get it, but it is the most popular theme. I think it is the southern "twang" that attracts people, not sure.

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
I feel as if the ssb franchise is slowly losing its way with increasingly gimmicky stages. The stages are nice for casual play, but it needs to have a set of good competitive stages too. I think it should bring back every stage from every previous game, because I miss n64 hyrule too much.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I feel as if the ssb franchise is slowly losing its way with increasingly gimmicky stages. The stages are nice for casual play, but it needs to have a set of good competitive stages too. I think it should bring back every stage from every previous game, because I miss n64 hyrule too much.
This. The only problem is that most smash players aren't into the competitive scene. That, and there are only so many ways to dress up Battleground and Final Destination to look like fresh stages.

On a side note the only gimmicky stage I miss and want back is Pokefloats

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't say that it's just the stages, but the dumbing down of the gameplay. After playing just a little bit of Melee Saturday and my time with Street Fighter IV and II HD Remix, BlazBlue, and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Brawl was a step back from the standard that Melee had set. Note, I'm not saying Melee is perfect. I think L-Canceling is the stupidest thing ever put into Smash next to random tripping.

This. The only problem is that most smash players aren't into the competitive scene. That, and there are only so many ways to dress up Battleground and Final Destination to look like fresh stages.

On a side note the only gimmicky stage I miss and want back is Pokefloats
You could make the argument that the competitive scene isn't that large because there aren't enough people interested. To bring up the Blue Ocean Strategy that Toise and Chu adore, instead of appealing strictly to the established audience, appeal to other audiences like the traditional fighting game community and other competitive communities as well (something Melee was close to achieving). As I've said before, Smash has the potential to become one of the greatest fighting game series. Right now, it's being held back.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You could make the argument that the competitive scene isn't that large because there aren't enough people interested. To bring up the Blue Ocean Strategy that Toise and Chu adore, instead of appealing strictly to the established audience, appeal to other audiences like the traditional fighting game community and other competitive communities as well (something Melee was close to achieving). As I've said before, Smash has the potential to become one of the greatest fighting game series. Right now, it's being held back.
I do agree that brawl was a small step back as far as gameplay mechanics go.

What I don't want to see is a dramatic shift in gameplay elements. The more they try to appeal to a different style of gamer, the more risk they run of losing players that got hooked on the core gameplay from back in 64. If the makers try to complicate the core gameplay elements that made smash such an easy game to pick up in the first place then they will lose some of their established fanbase, myself included. I guess the key is finding that balance to keep happy that established fanbase.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
even more negative points for Koops liking certain songs more than the FFVI boss theme.
well negative points to you for negativing me. :]

But actually 6's boss theme is one of my favorites; It's just that I see 4's working better, and mainly better in smash. The breakdown of it is just completely awesome. And VI has too many tracks that can work well but a bit of bias and other things (Explained already) pushed me towards dancing mad.

Through we haven't really discussed adding any songs outside of battle themes. I think it could use the chocobo song somewhere but the other choices for each game at least are decently fine. (Even If you don't like them)

It could work. Personally though, I was thinking something more like FF7's stage from FF Dissidia.
That sounds like a good idea; Through that's only really in 7 last I remember. I think the crystal palace works the best not because of what it can fit but more because of the type of "Theme" Final Fantasy has and revolving around crystal's with it's unique settings but that's just me.

Still some neat ideas here.

Not sure why we're arguing about FF music. Isn't almost all of it good?
we're arguing because it's hard to decide what goes for each game. I already did the hard part; It's just that a few tracks aren't the best fitting. I just need to decide on which chocobo theme to pick - Kinda is hard to when I already have a track for eveyr game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

What I don't want to see is a dramatic shift in gameplay elements. The more they try to appeal to a different style of gamer, the more risk they run of losing players that got hooked on the core gameplay from back in 64. If the makers try to complicate the core gameplay elements that made smash such an easy game to pick up in the first place then they will lose some of their established fanbase, myself included. I guess the key is finding that balance to keep happy that established fanbase.
I understand, but you have to evolve the gameplay. Adding in characters, music, etc., isn't enough. Even Sakurai said that a larger roster would not justify a sequel (maybe an update).

Complication is a big issue. What makes it harder is that everyone has their own different ideas of what's complex based off their personal experiences and gaming backgrounds.

Personally, I want to see the following (and I've said these before):

1. Smash Meter
4. Air Grapple
5. Power Squat Jumping
6. Reversal/Counter
7. Tech Throw
8. Air Dash
9. Anti-air grapple
10. Shield Burst
11. Ledge Grab Limit
12. Expansion on current movesets

I don't find these additions to be all that complex because of my experience with other fighters, but others will say otherwise. What do you think? If you want, I'll gladly send you a PM explaining each concept.

we're arguing because it's hard to decide what goes for each game. I already did the hard part; It's just that a few tracks aren't the best fitting. I just need to decide on which chocobo theme to pick - Kinda is hard to when I already have a track for eveyr game.
Maybe an original arrangement (lol oxymoron) of the Chocobo Theme?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
a good track i see in a foresty meadow or whatever is Vamo'alla Flamenco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bxp7qJieKw
does the music really have to match the stage? really Midna's Lament IMO doesn't match the bridge of eldin. oh and if square allows a character into ssb4, wouldn't you think that the geno fans would get mad if they only chose one character from their company and it isnt geno? like rabbid raving rabbids in front of square's door or nintendo's door... maybe they'll demand it some time after they declare that all of the roster has been decided... you know something, do you think that in the partnership with square during the Mario Hoops 3-on-3 time that they thought about having geno as a playable baller?

just so you know, i have no feeling towards geno:colorful:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Midna's Lament fits the Bridge of Eldin mostly because the stage has a twilight lightning going on for it. Its not much of a combat track though.

But while there are instances of songs that don't fit with the stage in Brawl, that doesn't mean that it has to occur again in Smash 4, so it should matter.

And Geno fans should know better that Geno isn't as important as several other SE characters, and quite a few Mario characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom