• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
hey, technically, is luigi a clone? dr. mario is obviously a clone but luigi, his moves were based on mario in ssb. then got one extra different move the green missile. he is still basically a clone right? ganondorf got the flame choke that is slightly different right?

stripped from my deviantART journal
_______
SSB4 Moveset - Ganondorf

Ganondorf:
B - Warlock Punch
Up B - Dark Dive
alt Up B -
Down B - Wizard's Foot
alt Down B -
Side B - Flame Choke
alt Side B -
Final Smash: Beast Ganon (uses twilight portal, random occasion)
alt Final Smash - Magical Ganondorf
alt Final Smash 2 - Ganon (controlled like giga bowser)
Ganon: can get hurt (no regular moves) [can't jump]
B - Swipe
Up B - Spin Swipe
Down B - Fire Ring (hold)
Side B - Demon Roar
Magical Ganondorf: can get hurt
B - Energy Blast
Up B - 5-point energy beam
Down B - Dark Quaker
Side B - Gerudo Combo
_______
if he is magical ganondorf from the start, i would accept your opinion especially the negative ones.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Sub meaning that I'd like the character to be added later on as downloadable content (or something like that)...
A 40-45 character roster doesn't have to rely on clones... making up different movesets is not all that hard, but implementing and actually creating these elaborate movesets is the hard part. Like I said before, anyone can make up a moveset... few have the skills to create them though...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Geno sub Megaman...um what?

And I like clones. They make semi-unique characxters in greater numbers. You want a 40-45 roster, get usef to the idea of clones
Horrible! Keep 35 characters from Brawl and add 10 newcomers who are clones? That has to be a very boring and uninteresting roster.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I have this feeling that the "Wii2" will bring SSB4 to a whole new level. Hopefully it will have a big enough memory to let sakurai run wild and let him add all the bells and whisles eveyrone soo deperatly craves.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I have this feeling that the "Wii2" will bring SSB4 to a whole new level. Hopefully it will have a big enough memory to let sakurai run wild and let him add all the bells and whisles eveyrone soo deperatly craves.
As long as he doesn't do a SSE2 or something similar, maybe so.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
As long as he doesn't do a SSE2 or something similar, maybe so.
Agreed. I think there should be some sort of Adventure mode, but keep it more simple, like Melee. At the same time, it shouldn't be as repetitive and boring. Another Subspace Emissary, however, is unnecessary, when time working on that could be spent on other things like a bigger roster and better features.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Agreed. I think there should be some sort of Adventure mode, but keep it more simple, like Melee. At the same time, it shouldn't be as repetitive and boring. Another Subspace Emissary, however, is unnecessary, when time working on that could be spent on other things like a bigger roster and better features.
Yeah, SSE is not what smash vetrains want, i would prefer a solid roster, smooth gameplay, and enough collectables of all varieties to keep me satisfied. Personally i want the adventure mode to have each character gets there own indiviadual story where doing certain things and fighting different characters will lead you on a new path. like the adventure mode in soul caliber three.

speaking of soul caliber, would nightmare be too, un-smash to be a well appreciated character? if so what about mitsurugi? or casandra? I would love to see a FEMALE represent a third party series. especially i female warrior.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Yeah, SSE is not what smash vetrains want, i would prefer a solid roster, smooth gameplay, and enough collectables of all varieties to keep me satisfied. Personally i want the adventure mode to have each character gets there own indiviadual story where doing certain things and fighting different characters will lead you on a new path. like the adventure mode in soul caliber three.

speaking of soul caliber, would nightmare be too, un-smash to be a well appreciated character? if so what about mitsurugi? or casandra? I would love to see a FEMALE represent a third party series. especially i female warrior.
if namco wants to join like sonic and snake, i think they would go with the representation of namco... pacman, i dont want to use pacman, unfortunately i want lloyd irving in ssb4 so in order to get him in i need to get pacman in... also make his moveset...ugh. based off pac man world 3 i spose. (he eats you like wario, swallows like yoshi, leaves pac pellets behind that explode, j/k)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
For the last time people, Melee's Adventure mode wasn't good. There was no saving, no level select, and very limited platforming, which was only in half of it. SSE improved upon it in so many ways. In the end though, the Adventure mode is in fact a optional thing, so it doesn't really matter that much if competative Smash fans like it or not. At this point is become pretty much a staple, so I think its safe to say that the next instalment will try to top SSE, though it may be best if it changes up the gameplay more so that its not quite as Kirby like as before.

And to be quite frank, the time taken out of SSE to work on more characters probably would only add about 3 or so. Adding in characters takes a lot of time and effort especially as the roster grows even larger. Instead its better to diversify the game by adding a legitimate one player mode.

And in regards to a female third party character, the only one I feel is really worthy of being one at this time is Chun Li, but that's very unlikely as it is.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For the last time people, Melee's Adventure mode wasn't good. There was no saving, no level select, and very limited platforming, which was only in half of it. SSE improved upon it in so many ways. In the end though, the Adventure mode is in fact a optional thing, so it doesn't really matter that much if competative Smash fans like it or not. At this point is become pretty much a staple, so I think its safe to say that the next instalment will try to top SSE, though it may be best if it changes up the gameplay more so that its not quite as Kirby like as before.
At least Melee's used levels based on Nintendo games instead of this generic thing where the entire setting didn't make any sense. If we want an improvement without going into much time for it, I say take a page from Tekken or SF or whatever where you see the storyline from any given character's perspective.

And to be quite frank, the time taken out of SSE to work on more characters probably would only add about 3 or so. Adding in characters takes a lot of time and effort especially as the roster grows even larger. Instead its better to diversify the game by adding a legitimate one player mode.
Yet development time spent on the SSE and online mode was 60%. You could probably have done five to seven characters in that amount of time. Possibly more if balancing wasn't factored in.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The aethetics don't matter when the game itself is so subpar. Perhaps the setting can be improved upon in the future, but that's a very small plus in Adventure mode's defence. In any case, the whole "characters perspective" thing can't pan out to the extent it did in SSE. If something like that were to take place, we would get like one or two cutscenes a piece ro something. It'd also be more difficult than other games like that given the fact that half the cast can't talk.

And I very much doubt it could have gotten to five even...unless they were clones. With the small amount that would likely come up from it, it would not have justified the cutting out of the mode, and you'd still get people complaining about there being no follow up to the Adventure mode. (And even more complaining if balance wasn't taken into account)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If there is a SSE2 or whatever I want Fulgore in it as a boss. Preferably Fulgore as every boss. Actually make the SSE an entire story focusing on Fulgore.

I want Fulgore in SSB4.

I don't care about Rare and their rights. To be honest, I don't care about anything.

Get this man/android/beast/greatest thing ever in SSB4 please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9P4JpXYgrE - God tier.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Better yet, why doesn't Sakurai make a Smash adventure game of itself that shouldn't be included in the SSB series, by this I mean a game that's seperate and is solely based on SSE. he did want to expand adventure mode, so why not create a full game instead, I don't think it's a bad idea, man that game would PWN!

Hehe, Heh, I highly agree with this!!. the female part that is, I say it should be Ivy, c'mon she's would be the perfect candidate from Soul Calibur, she's basically the 'Icon' of Soul Calibur, Casandra nah, I rather see Taki instead.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yet development time spent on the SSE and online mode was 60%. You could probably have done five to seven characters in that amount of time. Possibly more if balancing wasn't factored in.
Where did you get those numbers from?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

And in regards to a female third party character, the only one I feel is really worthy of being one at this time is Chun Li, but that's very unlikely as it is.
When did you ever NEED to save in Melee's Adventure mode? Also, The game is a fighting game first, not a platformer. We're lucky we got any platforming in it at all. You can add a legitimate one-player mode without taking up so much time that could be use for improving other important gameplay features and beefing up the roster.

I don't think its a guarantee that there will be a Subspace Emissary equivalent in the future. While the story is good and everything, there have been enough complaints to make developers consider making a less elaborate adventure mode. However, it doesn't have to be as repetitive as Melee. Maybe each character could have their own adventure modes (maybe a few could be shared) of 7-10 stages which are composed of platforming levels, battles levels, and boss battles. No CG cut scenes, but instead cut scenes similar to the ones in Melee.

Better yet, why doesn't Sakurai make a Smash adventure game of itself that shouldn't be included in the SSB series, by this I mean a game that's seperate and is solely based on SSE. he did want to expand adventure mode, so why not create a full game instead, I don't think it's a bad idea, man that game would PWN!
I have thought of this myself quite a few times, and I also think it would be a great idea. There would be lots of room to greatly expand the Subspace Emissary. I would definitely support this.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Melee's adventure mode was pretty good by my standards. Fast-paced, Nintendo based locations and a great way to unlock characters / find trophies.

My BIGGEST disappointment with Brawl was the lack of a proper opening movie. Oh, and the fact that the announcer doesn't yell the game's title at the start.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Melee's adventure mode was pretty good by my standards. Fast-paced, Nintendo based locations and a great way to unlock characters / find trophies.

My BIGGEST disappointment with Brawl was the lack of a proper opening movie. Oh, and the fact that the announcer doesn't yell the game's title at the start.
Agreed. We need more Nintendo locations in the Adventure Mode.

My biggest disappointment was with the organization of the roster. First of all, it was way to easy to unlock characters. Within the first 2 hours or so of playing, I already had over half the hidden roster. Two or three days later, I unlocked them all. I loved being challenged in Melee. I wish Brawl was more like that.

Secondly, more than half of the hidden roster were veterans. I knew the full roster before the game came out, but seriously, I want to work to play as the newcomers. Being available from the beginning kind of took away the fun and excitement of trying to unlock them. If I was given a chance to revise Brawl's roster, I would have done this: ([?] = hidden)

MARIO
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi [?]

DONKEY KONG
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong [?]

LEGEND OF ZELDA
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf [?]
Toon Link [?]

METROID
Samus/Zero Suit Samus

YOSHI
Yoshi

KIRBY
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede [?]

STARFOX
Fox
Falco
Wolf [?]

POKEMON
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer [?]
Jigglypuff
Lucario [?]

F-ZERO
Captain Falcon

MOTHER
Ness
Lucas [?]

FIRE EMBLEM
Marth
Ike [?]

WARIOWARE
Wario

PIKMIN
Olimar

RETRO SERIES
Ice Climbers
Pit
Mr. Game & Watch [?]
R.O.B. [?]

THIRD PARTY SERIES
Sonic [?]
Snake [?]

Basically, I would change the fourteen hidden characters to these characters:

-Luigi
-Diddy Kong
-Ganondorf
-Toon Link
-King Dedede
-Wolf
-Pokemon Trainer
-Lucario
-Lucas
-Ike
-Mr. Game & Watch
-R.O.B.
-Sonic
-Snake

This would mean that there are four starting newcomers (Meta Knight, Pit, Wario, Olimar) just like the four starting newcomers of Melee (Peach, Zelda, Bowser, Ice Climbers). There are three hidden veterans (Luigi, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch) like the two hidden veterans in Melee (Luigi, Jigglypuff). In my opinion, this is better than less than half of the fourteen hidden characters being newcomers, two of which (Sonic and Snake) were spoiled anyway.

The roster being organized like this would have greatly increased my own excitement for the game, and I really hope it is done this way in the future

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord

Oversaturation of a game franchise is a bad thing. And remember, Nintendo is all about the money. :urg:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
what if smash bros took a rpg path? One with a FANTASTIC story line, like how the loz's storyline is really interesting. Since characters in rpg's have less actual movements i was thinking there could be room for plenty new characters. Each character after levelinng up ten levels could learn anothher "final smash" which would be like the magic attacks in most rpg's. Also, like in smrpg they could have collectable weapons/clothing just for customization. heres an example character:

Mewtwo:
lv. 10- psychic blast
lv. 20- recover
lv. 30- gravity bomb (he sends a large concentration of psychic energy at the opponent, which condenses until a black hole is formed, pulling the enemy into it)
items:
mind plate
time mages staff
a life orb.

Costumes:
His armor
His hooded cape/cloak
A blk mage esk hat and cape.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
what if smash bros took a rpg path? One with a FANTASTIC story line, like how the loz's storyline is really interesting. Since characters in rpg's have less actual movements i was thinking there could be room for plenty new characters. Each character after levelinng up ten levels could learn anothher "final smash" which would be like the magic attacks in most rpg's. Also, like in smrpg they could have collectable weapons/clothing just for customization. heres an example character:

Mewtwo:
lv. 10- psychic blast
lv. 20- recover
lv. 30- gravity bomb (he sends a large concentration of psychic energy at the opponent, which condenses until a black hole is formed, pulling the enemy into it)
items:
mind plate
time mages staff
a life orb.

Costumes:
His armor
His hooded cape/cloak
A blk mage esk hat and cape.
last fighting game that tried an RPG like path was SCIII. not many people liked it.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
When did you ever NEED to save in Melee's Adventure mode? Also, The game is a fighting game first, not a platformer. We're lucky we got any platforming in it at all. You can add a legitimate one-player mode without taking up so much time that could be use for improving other important gameplay features and beefing up the roster.

I don't think its a guarantee that there will be a Subspace Emissary equivalent in the future. While the story is good and everything, there have been enough complaints to make developers consider making a less elaborate adventure mode. However, it doesn't have to be as repetitive as Melee. Maybe each character could have their own adventure modes (maybe a few could be shared) of 7-10 stages which are composed of platforming levels, battles levels, and boss battles. No CG cut scenes, but instead cut scenes similar to the ones in Melee.
The fact that you couldn't save in Melee's Adventure mode ment that whenever you wanted to play it, you had to play it all the way through, which is a good 15-20 minnutes. You might not want to go through everything all at once, but its not really your choice when you don't have a save feature.

And Smash may be a fighting game first, but that doesn't mean that any Adventure mode attached to it has to be heavily flawed. (And I neglected to mention that outside of the lack of saving or choosing levels, that you also had very little veriety in enemies, and that you got no incentive to replay the mode outside of getting all trophies, and let me tell you, 25 times through that Adventure mode can't be good for your health.

And the complaints were directed mostly at the gameplay which is what needs the most improvement. And what you're suggesting is probably going to cause more complaining. We're looking at nearly 50 pottential characters, so giving them all 7-10 levels is no small order. Rehashing or reusing levels will be very common, and the lack of cutscenes will cause people to complain.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The fact that you couldn't save in Melee's Adventure mode ment that whenever you wanted to play it, you had to play it all the way through, which is a good 15-20 minnutes. You might not want to go through everything all at once, but its not really your choice when you don't have a save feature.
Really now? We need a freaking save point for something can be beaten in the same amount of time it takes to watch your favorite TV show? I'm sorry if you don't like the idea, but that was meant to be beaten in a speed run fashion as indicated by Giga Bowser.

And Smash may be a fighting game first, but that doesn't mean that any Adventure mode attached to it has to be heavily flawed. (And I neglected to mention that outside of the lack of saving or choosing levels, that you also had very little veriety in enemies, and that you got no incentive to replay the mode outside of getting all trophies, and let me tell you, 25 times through that Adventure mode can't be good for your health.
Just be glad Melee had actual Nintendo enemies. If you want an incentive to get back into replaying it, your best bet is to have character/series exclusive levels. Melee's Adventure Mode would have been better, in general, if we had more levels like the Mario and Zelda ones. Considering that the game was rushed, though, I'll cut them slack on that.

Anyway, I'd like to see you come up with an idea for getting through All Star Mode. Brawl's left me bored to tears and so did Melee's.

And the complaints were directed mostly at the gameplay which is what needs the most improvement. And what you're suggesting is probably going to cause more complaining. We're looking at nearly 50 pottential characters, so giving them all 7-10 levels is no small order. Rehashing or reusing levels will be very common, and the lack of cutscenes will cause people to complain.
There's nothing wrong with reusing levels if it makes sense. If people are complaining about that and a lack of cutscenes, then they should go play Final Fantasy, MGS, or any other cutscene filled game.

Where did you get those numbers from?
I tried finding the Destructoid interview a while back with no luck. However, like Sakurai's comment regarding Krystal, this has stayed in mind ever since I saw it. If I can find it, I'll post it later.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Really? If you can beat something in 15-20 minutes, do you really need a save point? That little problem is EXTREMELY minor, if even a "problem" in the first place. A save point would be extremely unnecessary, just a waste of time, for something as small as Melee-style Adventure Mode.

I don't think lack of platforming was a flaw. There was a decent amount of platforming in there, and like I said, we're lucky we even got platforming stages in the first place. Once again, something that really wasn't a big deal. It's a fighting game. You are set-up in matches against opponents. What is wrong with that?

I agree on the fact that it did get repetitive, but it did keep me playing, as annoying as it was. But bashing the baddies of the mode? I would much prefer the baddies found in Melee to those of the Subspace Army, considering they are actual Nintendo stars. After all, this is a game based around many different universes within Nintendo, why not have things like Koopas, Goombas, Octoroks, Like Likes, F-Zero racers, etc.?

We could use cut scenes, but they don't have to be CG. Melee style is fine. And I already mentioned that some characters may use the same stages at some points, or similar characters may even use the same story (maybe with small twists to keep it a bit fresh).

I tried finding the Destructoid interview a while back with no luck. However, like Sakurai's comment regarding Krystal, this has stayed in mind ever since I saw it. If I can find it, I'll post it later.
Could you refresh me on Sakurai's comment regarding Krystal?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
It still surprises me that there are no enemies from Kirby games in Subspace. In the next games, Adventure mode they could also use enemies from Wario, Yoshi, even Starfy if they wanted to, plus the Subspace onces. They've got plenty to draw on.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If Sakurai made a poll on smash boards stating that sega was getting another representative but sakurai couldnt decide between Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Billy Hatcher or NiGHTS. Who would you vote for and why?

also, i think wario land is too much under repped. i would love to see capt. syrup get in brawl before ANY other wario character. not to mention a stage based on wario: shake dimension. Warioware really turned wario gross... :/

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
If Sakurai made a poll on smash boards stating that sega was getting another representative but sakurai couldnt decide between Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Billy Hatcher or NiGHTS. Who would you vote for and why?
Even though I love both Billy hatcher and Nights ( their movesets would be interesting), I'd have to vote for Knuckles. He's better than Sonic in more ways than one, and he (albeit Shadow is awesome but...) would have many great attributes that would make him a versatile fighter . Tails is pretty useless without the aide of some machine, and Shadows to cool for school so he automatically "fails" >_> ( get it... it's a pun geared twards the premise of education and what not...:()

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Knuckles, because shadow is a clone of sonic, literally. i dont like Miles period, i havent played billy hatcher i kind of want to but no, he's ugly! i respect NiGHTS fan base and that they were the reason nights came to the wii. knucks because the others were eliminated...Eggman could be a Boss (like Tabuu and Duon not Bowser or Ganondorf )in his Egg Fortress, after all the Halberd fell. they should do event continuation. (npcs. Eggman, Nightmare, gasp! N.M.E replaces the role of Tabuu, sakurai is BRILLIANT, Duon returns because N.M.E senses the darkness in Mr.G&W and duon is playable as a alt final smash(i gues he is playable), duon gets a bigger role maybe?)

enough, dont thread here, follow Shortie, thread the sega choice.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
My vote would go to Billy Hatcher. He's not just another sonic character and would have a beast moveset.

n88

Smash Lord
Discussion is all over the place here, although it's nice to see Spydr back.

I personally would like to see something of a cross between Melee and Brawl Adventure modes in SSB4. with some new stuff thrown in. Something maybe half an hour to an hour long (With save points), depending on how thorough you were with unlocking everything, and some variation between characters. Very little emphasis on story would be ideal. More Nintendo locations/enemies are a must.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Adventure mode should be like SSE: The great maze. Instead of being rehashed old areas, all areas are combined into one large world map. They could have teleporters (making up the map screen) to help get around faster. Considering all the characters that will be present, more than one character will have the same ability (flying for example.)

So, what Adventure mode would need is areas only certain characters can get to. Make a really large pit that only flying characters can get to. Add a character swap feature (switch between characters you can play as.) I imagine Meta-knight flying over a really large pit. Then Snake would be needed to blow up a wall that only bombs can destroy. Finally, Bowser would have to butt slam the ground in an area past the wall to open up the next set of stages.

Make many secrets (like metroid), make areas character specific (within reason. Flying only characters here, etc.) and make all the stages based on Nintendo series. That would be the best setup for an adventure mode.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I want NPCs to give you missions and whatnot. Also a costume shop.

And yes, CHARACTER SPECIFIC AREAS! Like Lego Star Wars. That would be a great incentive to replay levels.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Kind of difficult to respond twice over but let me see here.

In regards to saving: Yes, the thing can be completed without the need to save, but the addition of a saving feature would have been better than none at all. The mode does take time after all. It also falls in line with the inability to actually select what stage you want to play.

Melee had about three more Nintendo-related enemies than Brawl did in the end. Still Brawl had a better selection unless you go for pure nostalgia. Now Smash is a nostalgia series, so that is a big factor, but in the end when you compare the two, Melee's was much more inferior due to a lack of variety.

And when you have a mode that supposed to promote platforming, it is a big deal. If plain matches were enough, then Classic, All-star, or just versus mode with the CPU would be enough. As it is though, there was a Adventure mode where platforming was stressed in, and thus the merits of the game's platforming have to be taken into consideration.

As for All-Star mode, Kuma, I can't really help you, since that's a different bag. That's straight up fighting there. Personally though I think Melee's had a better aprouch with it in terms of trying to make it more barable with it being 90% random on who you had to fight next, isntead of having it by series.

And even if the cutscenes were Melee styled, instead of being pre-rendered, or whatever the term for Brawl's were, there will still be complaints because of the step down in quality and story telling. And the amount of reused levels will still be quite staggering. Its not going to just be a few given the very large cast.

If you ask me though the idea of having multiple story modes, with different angles could work if the bill isn't to fit all 50 or so pottential characters. Instead it could just be 8 to 12. What I mean by that is you could have a 8-12 story modes, each essentially 7-8 levels long, with cutscnes here and there (ending , opening, and maybe something in the middle). The 8 story modes would each be from the perspective of one of the original 8 characters from smash 64, with four unlockable paths for each of the locked characters from the original game as well. Of course there may be some kinks in that plan that I'm not thinking through though.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I want NPCs to give you missions and whatnot. Also a costume shop.

And yes, CHARACTER SPECIFIC AREAS! Like Lego Star Wars. That would be a great incentive to replay levels.

Heck yea, character incorporated levels would definetly be a plus, but I say it should have game dynamics as well, meaning like a sonic stage with super speed to that degree.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There should be 5 modes in the next Smash game.

Classic - Like before
Adventure mode - Like Melee's adventure mode but longer
Story mode - Like Brawl's adventure mode, but how I described it above
All-star mode
Mission mode - Which would have character specific missions on character specific stages. (Think Sonic running though a stage at high speed.)

5 modes.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Isn't Mission Mode just a different way of saying Events?

And I really don't think there's any need to have both a Melee-styled Adventure mode, and a Brawl-styled Adventure mode. The major complaint from most people inregards to the transition from Melee's to Brawl's was the setting issue, which can easily be corrected without needing two different modes.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Missions? Like Pieman said, missions are basically events. There would be no distinguishable factors between them, and so why make them separate?

About adventure...

I still don't think a save point in Melee would be necessary, it's a minor issue anyway. Same with stage select, the stages weren't that enjoyable that you would want to choose one. And why choose one to play anyway when you can just play through it and the rest of the Adventure mode and get a trophy for it?

I don't think there would be many complaints about the lack of CG cut scenes. In fact the time spent on them was the cause of complaints for Brawl, no one ever complained about the cut scenes in Melee. Melee-styled cut scenes would be perfectly fine.

Also, I am aware of the large amount of stages that would need to be recycled. Perhaps each series has it's own stages, and characters from the same series use the same stages. For example, Maybe the Mario series has three different platforming stages. A traditional Mario stage similar to the one seen in Melee, a stage representing Underground levels, and a Bowser's Castle. The other stages could be made of of Battles using multiplayer stages. Then add a boss battle or two. There, you've got 8-9 good stages right there.

The same stages would be used by Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, but maybe in a different order to match each character's specific story and keep things fresh. You could also reuse some of these stages in other character's stories, like Yoshi. Retro characters could all battle through the same story of retro games.

It wouldn't be that difficult to pull off.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
For Adventure mode I believe that they should do away with the generic world and subspace characters. They should have a series of worlds (Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, etc) and they are joined by portals. Then at the joining of all the worlds would be all connected to Battlefield and final destination. As a game it could be an explore here where each person starts in there own realm and then travels about to the other realms.

As for story I don't know but one I can think is since each character pretty much as a dark form(Dark Link, Dark Samus) they could have where the shadow clones are trying to take over the realms. Not very original but it's a thought.

Jerome

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo makes the adventure mode they should focus alot on replayability because, the bad thing about Subspace (though it was sweet) is that it's was too long. They should make the next one similar to Melee's Adventure mode but better.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Enzo

Adventure mode didn't need them, and in the end didn't have them, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have improved things. And in any case, the fact that you view none of the stages as being things that are worht playing on their own is a problem in itself, isn't it?

Also I am absolutely opposed to the idea of just setting characters back into their old traditional stages. Smash is a crossover game. I don't want to have Mario go through the same old levels he always did. Make Link or Samus go through those and have Mario go through something different.

And it would eventually get very sloppy to just have everyone repeat the same thing over again, and in the end you'll probably only have really 6 or 7 different variations. (Mario style, Pokemon style, medieval style for Zelda/FE/GS, retro style, space style for Metroid/FZ/SF, and maybe like one other for Kirby) Thus I'm suggesting just not even bothering trying to make the illusion that everyone else has their own unique story mode, and rather just limit it down from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom