• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astartes

Smash Rookie
I really want them to add Banjo and Kazooie that would be such a sweet character. Also Isaac from golden sun.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Neku Sakuraba, he would be bad***. If he came, I hate to say it, but Falco would no longer be my main. Sure he's a square enix character but he was in a nintendo system only release, so that gives him a good chance, right? If he does make it, his standards MUST be his shockwave attacks, they would be amazing for combos!

They would also need to make online better (NO MORE LAG!!!) and have more options in stage builder. Alternite costumes would be amazing, but I think having a costume designer in game would also be bad***.

Also bring back Mewtwo, he was pretty cool, my brother loved him and now he uses Pikachu and just B and down B spams. It doesn't really work but it's beyond annoying!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They would also need to make online better (NO MORE LAG!!!) and have more options in stage builder. Alternite costumes would be amazing, but I think having a costume designer in game would also be bad***.
Just thought I'd say this here. You can't make online lagless, you can only make the lag smaller and smaller, but like the number infinity, you never reach it. Still, less lag in general would be a godsend.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
I wonder wat Knux's moveset would be like...
I noticed that alot of peopole just say "add this character" but dont give examples for their moves, i do that too tho :)
Exept for wen i talked about Travis Touchdown... i REALLY REALLY REALLY want him to be in SSBF!!!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Knuckles shouldn't get in...nor should any other Sonic (or MGS) character for that matter. It takes away from this being about Nintendo all-stars, so third party characters should really only be limited to one playable character per franchise.

was talking about the masked man

Takamaru, hmm, now that's a lot of texture changing.
We still have Claus anyways so bleh.

Anyways, I would think that it would be better to give Goroh a Takamaru costume quite frankly, but since you're suggesting that the likes of Gardevior and Pichu should be added in with the movesets of Mewtwo and Pikachu, I don't see what your concern would be.

It's treated for sure in Smash as one of the bigger ones, and it did help inspire Pokemon last I remember. I agree It's pretty bottom of the big franchises, but I think you're still looking too far into the series. One of the mother villians for sure is plausible If the series is considered as "Static"
Its not really treated like one of the bigger series, but it does get attention. Still this can be chalked up to the fact that the series expanded between Melee and Brawl, and all the Mother content was a reflection of that. But you're not agreeing with me if you think its on the big franchise scale at all though, since its not. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are big franchises. Maybe if you want to argue it enough, Kirby, DK, and Metroid are also big franchises. Compared to them though, Mother is small, and the series is quite dead. Its not plausible to give another character to a series that will not get a new installment, especially if the series itself wasn't that popular to begin with. This is like Geno really, in that there is a large fanbase that has a voice but doesn't have much of a force. Really the fact that it has two characters is more than it really desrves, and it really shouldn't be pushed beyond that.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
We still have Claus anyways so bleh.

Anyways, I would think that it would be better to give Goroh a Takamaru costume quite frankly, but since you're suggesting that the likes of Gardevior and Pichu should be added in with the movesets of Mewtwo and Pikachu, I don't see what your concern would be.
Takamaru using a body slam wouldn't count as creepy?

It could work I suppose. Cafe also had a nice idea

Its not really treated like one of the bigger series, but it does get attention. Still this can be chalked up to the fact that the series expanded between Melee and Brawl, and all the Mother content was a reflection of that. But you're not agreeing with me if you think its on the big franchise scale at all though, since its not. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are big franchises. Maybe if you want to argue it enough, Kirby, DK, and Metroid are also big franchises. Compared to them though, Mother is small, and the series is quite dead. Its not plausible to give another character to a series that will not get a new installment, especially if the series itself wasn't that popular to begin with. This is like Geno really, in that there is a large fanbase that has a voice but doesn't have much of a force. Really the fact that it has two characters is more than it really desrves, and it really shouldn't be pushed beyond that.
Hate running over this again as Toise has already explained this, but my version.

Then we see big franchises as differently, I see all the big franchises of Nintendo probably as:

Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Wii Series (...*Insert "Sadly" Here*), Animal Crossing, Kirby, DK, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Golden Sun, Pikmin, Punch-Out (Moreso recently), Wario, Yoshi (Not as much as DK With these two) Fire Emblem, And Mother.

I probably forgot one but whatever. Anyways; You're worrying about far too much on the "My Series > Your Series" Theory. Quite honestly, there's no reason any of those series with VALID Supporting characters should get in. Why should Krystal be denied? K. Rool? Black Shadow? Masked Man? Pokey? Because you think a series doesn't "Deserve" The number? That's ridiculous "Hey Sakurai, we should add Krystal." "Nope, too many fox characters. ADD MOAR TO MARIO" - We're in a fighting game, not a nintendo press sales meeting.

Speaking of similar representation in characters with series, Here's a food for thought: Smash 64 Had similar representation between series. Nobody complained about that. Mario still technically got more characters with Yoshi + DK Being partial still, and everything went smoothly. Now, If you take a look at brawl, It continues on that. Mario didn't get a newcomer added to It's series just for being Mario. Some new worthy series and guests joined the fray, like Pikmin, Wario, and Olimar, and some series got complete (Well, at least we can all agree on Kirby), along with some series getting there long awaited supporting characters (Lucas, Wolf, Diddy Kong, etc)

And yet that did fine too. Now of course, even If you count my list of all big franchises, I do realize that Mother is at the bottom of the barrel/priority list most probably. As I've explained before, quoted from earlier:

Myself/edited some whatever said:
Sales do have affect on a character to a certain extent, for instance compare this:
1)
Mother: Ness, Lucas, Pokey, Claus
Mario: Mario, Luigi

2)
Mother: Lucas, Ness
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser

Thus supporting characters with more popularity or known or whatever tend to get in first.

There's also cases where this happens:
Mother: Ness, Lucas
Metroid: Samus
But of course, that's more due to the character itself being harder to program.
As stated, I am very well aware that Mother is at/near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to supporting characters. I am also aware of the Static/Evolving discssion, which If Sakurai considers the series as Evolving, there's no way we're getting any more supporting characters to it.

Point made:
-Do one of them have a fighting/decently good chance? Very well, yes.
-Is it an Extremely good chance like other supporting characters, ie K. Rool/Goroh/Etc? Nope. Not really. Not. At. All.
-Can the series be evolving thus treating Ness as repping all of Mother 2 and Lucas all of Mother 3? Yes. It's still possible.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Takamaru using a body slam wouldn't count as creepy?

It could work I suppose. Cafe also had a nice idea
Who ever said Goroh has a body slam attack?

Hate running over this again as Toise has already explained this, but my version.

Then we see big franchises as differently, I see all the big franchises of Nintendo probably as:

Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Wii Series (...*Insert "Sadly" Here*), Animal Crossing, Kirby, DK, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Golden Sun, Pikmin, Punch-Out (Moreso recently), Wario, Yoshi (Not as much as DK With these two) Fire Emblem, And Mother.
I wouldn't call F-Zero, PO, or Pikmin big series at all really. Your definition of big is much to vague. What do you consider a medium series or a small series? Heck, Pikmin is barely a series there since it only has two games, and that's pretty much the bare minimum you can have for a series.

I probably forgot one but whatever. Anyways; You're worrying about far too much on the "My Series > Your Series" Theory. Quite honestly, there's no reason any of those series with VALID Supporting characters should get in. Why should Krystal be denied? K. Rool? Black Shadow? Masked Man? Pokey? Because you think a series doesn't "Deserve" The number? That's ridiculous "Hey Sakurai, we should add Krystal." "Nope, too many fox characters. ADD MOAR TO MARIO" - We're in a fighting game, not a nintendo press sales meeting.
The other series besides Mother in there are from series that actually have the pottential to expand, and for some of them have a large fansbase. With the lack of a new game and small fanbase, there's no point in adding a character to the series at this point other than just doing it to expand the roster for the sake of expansion. And for the most part the game is heavily influenced by what would be the best thing for promoting other games, because it is moronic for Nintendo not to view it as such. Now does this mean that every character has to be someone that helps promote other games? Not at all. But Mother has already gotten two characters as it is, and without a new game and such a small fanbase, there is very little incentive to expand.

Speaking of similar representation in characters with series, Here's a food for thought: Smash 64 Had similar representation between series. Nobody complained about that. Mario still technically got more characters with Yoshi + DK Being partial still, and everything went smoothly. Now, If you take a look at brawl, It continues on that. Mario didn't get a newcomer added to It's series just for being Mario. Some new worthy series and guests joined the fray, like Pikmin, Wario, and Olimar, and some series got complete (Well, at least we can all agree on Kirby), along with some series getting there long awaited supporting characters (Lucas, Wolf, Diddy Kong, etc)
Those lesser/supporting characters were from series that got new content inbetween the two games. Given that the Mother series has officially ended, its not going to do that again. Its not the same thing and thus can't be compared to them.

And yet that did fine too. Now of course, even If you count my list of all big franchises, I do realize that Mother is at the bottom of the barrel/priority list most probably. As I've explained before, quoted from earlier:

Metroid doesn't have any real supporting characters outside of Ridley, so its really not a valid comparison.

As stated, I am very well aware that Mother is at/near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to supporting characters. I am also aware of the Static/Evolving discssion, which If Sakurai considers the series as Evolving, there's no way we're getting any more supporting characters to it.
...Static and Evolving? What do you mean by that? The Mother series is dead. Its creator said Mother 3 was the end of it. There aren't enough fans to demand a Mother 4 anyways, so the series is effectivley out of commision.

Point made:
-Do one of them have a fighting/decently good chance? Very well, yes.
-Is it an Extremely good chance like other supporting characters, ie K. Rool/Goroh/Etc? Nope. Not really. Not. At. All.
-Can the series be evolving thus treating Ness as repping all of Mother 2 and Lucas all of Mother 3? Yes. It's still possible.
-Neither have a good chance. There's still a posibility as there is a posibility that a Gen 3 Pokemon will show up somehow, but the chanes are far from fighting.
- If these other characters have good chances and the Mother characters chances are not ranked among them, then they do not have good chances.
- I don't know what you're talking about.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
-Lip (Panel de Pon)
-Wart (SMB2/DDP)
-K. Rool
-Midna
-Blaziken
-Count Bleck (Super Paper Mario)
-Shake King (Wario Land Shake It!)

Just to name a few.

Giga Bowser must also return as a BOSS.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
@Pieman: Oh, maybe because they're, I dunno, Important? Or did we throw that word out a long time ago?

As for my definition: I consider those the bigger franchises of Nintendo/More noticeable ones. Pikmin had It's GC Era on that example. The smaller ones just go under almost everything else, and I suppose there's those debateable middle ones. Yours is rather...Unbroad.

Regardless, this won't really get far because we each have different ideas of how a character should be put in. New games just aren't a way to decide. Completing a series is, and at the moment unless something occurs, there's only two ways to "Complete" Mother:

1)Evolving Theory: Fire Emblem/Pokemon fall under this. Where Sakurai sees a Protaginist for Representing there game as enough.

2)Static Theory: It will (eventually) get It's plausible and noticeable villians. Pokey goes quite nicely with Ness
Along with his nice appearence at the end of Mother 3
And The Masked Man goes quite well with Lucas. It's really no debate on who gets the slots If the series is considered Static.

There's no realistic limit or any rule boundaries Sakurai has to follow on how many characters a Series "Needs" Heck, If two was overkill, then why did he put Lucas and keep Ness? Answer is that it isn't. Number of Games along with just saying "Yeah this series is bigger" Is a horrible way on deciding characters.

Deciding who gets in first? Yeah, that's understandable. Of course. Deciding who has no chance and who does? Nope. Completely Awful.

And If you have some proof where Sakurai says "Smash is addicted to Sales Charts with deciding rosters" Or something along the line then yeah, but until then, nope.

And on the last note, on K.Rool, note how I said "Extremely good" Extremely Good =/= Possible. (Like 50ish or so "Maybe" Corners)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Being important in a game that isn't important anymore can get you in some times, but it probably won't happen if said game already has some of its more important characters already in. I guess that technically there's really no true precedant for it, but it makes zero sense to expand the Mother series as it is now, which quite frankly, is the status that it will be in then.

Smash isn't completely guided by sales, but a huge chunk of it is, directly and indirectly. Mother has poor sales, indicating poor popularity, on top of the fact that it is mostly limited to Japan. This combined with the fact that it won't get a new game...like ever, makes it incredibly unlikely to get a new character. Why would Sakurai choose to add another character to a series that hasn't done anything since before Brawl, and said series really isn't that popular? The only reason for doing anything with Mother is to simply expand the series for the sake of expanding, which is where you get flawed ideas of putting Jody Summer in Smash.

And the number of games IS a good indicator of how to choose a character because that means the characters and the series is popular. A larger amount of games indicate better sales. Better sales indicate more popularity. A series with a few games is normally unpopular, no matter how vocal its community may be. Thus, while not a perfect way of doing deciding characters, is a perfectly valid way to assume things.

And if extremely good is only about 50% then what you're ranking under that percentile certainly does not have a good chance.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Smash isn't completely guided by sales, but a huge chunk of it is, directly and indirectly. Mother has poor sales, indicating poor popularity, on top of the fact that it is mostly limited to Japan. This combined with the fact that it won't get a new game...like ever, makes it incredibly unlikely to get a new character. Why would Sakurai choose to add another character to a series that hasn't done anything since before Brawl, and said series really isn't that popular? The only reason for doing anything with Mother is to simply expand the series for the sake of expanding, which is where you get flawed ideas of putting Jody Summer in Smash.
See, I'm thinking on the characters, you're thinking on the series. Now where's this about Sales?

And on that, we're not expanding it for the sake of just expanding a series. We understand that it can just be treated like a Evolving series (Fire Emblem/Pokemon) We're expanding it because they are noticeable. Like in Starfox, you generally have Fox, Wolf, Falco, and Krystal. In Mother, you have Ness, Ninten (well really ness), Lucas, Masked Man, Pokey, and Giygas (Yeah, that won't work) But these villians/games are actually connected.

Expanding it for the sake of expanding it is like throwing Tingl... I MEAN NOTHING Jeff on the PC Roster. The idea of Jody Summer may be a bit flawed as opposed to *Insert supporting character here* But that's another topic.

Now, every series that is a series getting at least two characters SHOULD Have all of It's valued supporting characters at one point. Why not? Because It's not as big as another series? They are just as valued to the Mother series as some suggestions/characters in Smash.

Quite honestly, the thing I see here is that It's simply not as big as those other franchises, even If It's considered at that level, thus with It's supporting characters also have a good chance at being pushed to the shaft for other series. Which is clearly understandable since in Brawl it did have a pretty good amount of focus.

And if extremely good is only about 50% then what you're ranking under that percentile certainly does not have a good chance.
I've already posted my thoughts on supporting characters to evolving series. Really, after F-Zero, Metroid, and DK, I just put everything in a "Possible" Bin, which is more of a 50/50 bin.

I mean as shown earlier with Isaac, with Smash 4 I never put any newcomer in the "Shoe-In" Bin.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Sales stacks up with series. It has effects on characters, but not all that direct. Poor sales make it so there is less of a series. Mother 3's sales did not warent enough to bring about Mother 4, which is what it would need, since that's the only way it could really happen. (Given the creator does not wish to continue it) Combine that with being Japan only, and the Mother series is in a bad place in regards to getting a new character.

And no, you are expanding it for the sake of expanding it. These characters are not noticable because so few people have heard of them. There's no reason to promote and there are too few fans. The only real option here is to simply expand for the sake of expansion, which is what would be happening here. Lucas was pushing it, but he was not just expansion for the sake of expansion, since the series kept on going in the interim between Melee and Brawl. That's not going to happen for Brawl and SSB4, and even if it did, the characters you're suggesting would likely not show up in the next game. (Okay maybe Porkey but that's a hypothetical situation to a hypothetical situation) You're thinking that just because the character has a decently large role, that it warents them to have a role in the next game, but its doesn't because there's zero point to it outside of the fact that the character is next in line. You established a limit where it cuts off from being needed and uneeded, but in reality you just made that up for convienence. And Jody Summer's inclusion would be a *insert character here* because again its just expanding the F-Zero series for the sake of exapnsion, but starting with one of the more well known characters first.

And no, they shouldn't all get their supporting characters. That again is just expanding the series for the sake of expansion. You're taking virutally unknown series and giving the supporting characters extra roles for no reason other than that they were the supporting character in this series, rather than the character themself, and that's just incredibly flawed.

And I don't consider anyone a shoe-in either....though I'd rank Little Mac as being a foot away from that status.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
And no, they shouldn't all get their supporting characters. That again is just expanding the series for the sake of expansion. You're taking virutally unknown series and giving the supporting characters extra roles for no reason other than that they were the supporting character in this series, rather than the character themself, and that's just incredibly flawed.
Supporting character? Oh right, noticeable and fine ones at that. Mother has It's villians reoccuring throughout there three games. I wouldn't be so quick to say that's shoeing in a character for the sake of shoeing in a character.

Every series that can should, regardless of sales, I see no reason to not and I still don't see any reason that isn't "LOL SALES CHARTS" Which we have no proof that Sakurai cares on those, asides from which ones get there supporting characters first.. Now, with Jody Summer you were debating with Toise on whether she stands out to all the other F-Zero racers. In Masked Man's and Pokey's case, they do very well stand out against every other supporting character in there series and even rival Lucas and Ness in Popularity (Mainly in the series themselves considering Lucas/Ness have Smash Popularity)

edit:
series actually ended because M3 had everything wiped out at the ending.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
edit:
series actually ended because M3 had everything wiped out at the ending.
I haven't played MOTHER 3 (will during winter break), but I'm certain that after the credits you find out everyone survived. Anyway, MOTHER4, if it will ever happen can always pull a Final Fantasy or maybe it will bring to light Giygas' home planet. I was expecting that in 3, but that didn't seem to happen.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I haven't played MOTHER 3 (will during winter break), but I'm certain that after the credits you find out everyone survived. Anyway, MOTHER4, if it will ever happen can always pull a Final Fantasy or maybe it will bring to light Giygas' home planet. I was expecting that in 3, but that didn't seem to happen.
I don't really know but in the credits you just see the credits and then "THE END" But anyways, I would like to see more of the middle or something pulled. You know, I've kinda always wanted to see a Star Fox game that fills in the missing holes. I never got how James Mccloud keeps coming back, a Clear picture of Venom, how the SF Team moved back away from each other, which ending is real in Command, etc. It's so mindboggling. And It doesn't help that the first one has no storyline whatsoever.

Two questions:
What would be your top 10 trophy suggestions that aren't already seen in Brawl?

Would you expect them to be trophies. (eg. Gold Skulltula from Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask)
Assist Trophies/Pokeballs are far more interesting than regular trophies. That being said, my top 10 for those would be:
1.Daroach (Kirby: SS)
2.Duster (Or Masked Man If not available as playable next time around)
3.Moogle (Final Fantasy: Fits with the Black Mage/Chocobo Combo suggestion)
4.Honou (SUKAPONNN)
5.Doopliss (Paper Mario 2)
6.Iggy (Super Mario World)
7.Smeargle (Pokemon)
8.Drumstick (Diddy Kong Racing)
9.Kamek (Or Kammy Koopa or something. something for Yoshi)
10.Dr.Stewart (AIDS TIME)
11.Felix (Golden Sun), some other contestants could also work here.
12.Ephraim/Micaiah (Fire Emblem)
13.Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)
14.Nack the Weasel (Sonic. Pipe dream even as a Sticker, anyone?)
15.Mike Jones (Startropics)

...Told you guys I can be insane when it comes to supporting characters. I had a hard time narrowing it down. There's probably more as I still have the insane list on my other comp, but those are most of my top choices.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
True, but the basic trophies have the one thing Assist Trophies and Pokeball Pokemon don't have:

No limits on what you want. :)

Do any of you think the trophies should go the Megaman and Bass route and give the trophies (maybe at least the playable ones) a Good Point, Bad Point, Like, and Dislike.

Example:
Wario
Good Point: Incredibly Strong
Bad Point: Selfishly Greedy
Dislikes: Mario

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Supporting character? Oh right, noticeable and fine ones at that. Mother has It's villians reoccuring throughout there three games. I wouldn't be so quick to say that's shoeing in a character for the sake of shoeing in a character.

Every series that can should, regardless of sales, I see no reason to not and I still don't see any reason that isn't "LOL SALES CHARTS" Which we have no proof that Sakurai cares on those, asides from which ones get there supporting characters first.. Now, with Jody Summer you were debating with Toise on whether she stands out to all the other F-Zero racers. In Masked Man's and Pokey's case, they do very well stand out against every other supporting character in there series and even rival Lucas and Ness in Popularity (Mainly in the series themselves considering Lucas/Ness have Smash Popularity)
Sales charts are a good indication if a series is popular, and if a series isn't popular then there's no reason to give it more characters than it needs. Bringing up every series to that level without regard to what the fans want or how the series has progressed IS placing in the characters only so that the numbers are larger, and I don't quite get why you don't get this. The Mother series isn't equal to the others, and compared to most its much less. It doesn't matter if Jody Summer is more recognizable than other F-Zero racers if she's still so very very unimportant. It doesn't matter what their standing in they provide so little, or their series is too weak. Those two can stand out as much as you or anyone else wants, but that doesn't change the fact that the Mother series shouldn't get a new character if the series doesn't do anything from here until Smash 4, which is likely going to be the case.

You were right when you said my ideas were on the series, so why did you stray away from that? That's the real issue here. I myself advocated that Porkey was the best suited third Mother character for Pete's sake. But just because someone would be the next in line, doesn't mean that more should be taken from the line.

Anyways, 10 trophies eh...

1. Ludwig Von Koopa
2. The Angry Sun
3. That freaky hawk door thing from SMB2
4. Mouser
5. Troopa Jr.
6. All the Koopalings in one trophy (Give em individual trophies too)
7. Naval Piranha
8. Mecha Bowser (From Sunshine)
9. The Comet Observatory (From Galaxy)
10. Bowser's Castle (Paper Mario version)

Hmm...Guess those were all Mario trophies. :p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't really know but in the credits you just see the credits and then "THE END" But anyways, I would like to see more of the middle or something pulled. You know, I've kinda always wanted to see a Star Fox game that fills in the missing holes. I never got how James Mccloud keeps coming back, a Clear picture of Venom, how the SF Team moved back away from each other, which ending is real in Command, etc. It's so mindboggling. And It doesn't help that the first one has no storyline whatsoever.
It's at THE END do you press the A button and you "see" that the characters survived. They mention that they would have to start their world anew since the world was, depending on how you look at it, was purified of technology and Porky's influences.

More of the middle? Are we talking MOTHER or Starfox here?

It would be nice if we got more info on the backstories for the Starfox characters. Currently, Wolf's trophy saying he knew James is inaccurate, but that may be something mentioned in the next Starfox game. As for the whole James thing, the best theory I've seen derives from the '93 Starfox comic. It basically explains how he can see the dimension Fox is in, but can't directly interact with anything besides talking.

Venom is another vague thing along with Andross' body. As for the Starfox team moving away from each other. Falco leaving was explained with a tie-in manga for Starfox Adventures. Command, IIRC, is only partially canon. I think none of the current endings are canon which is good because they either signified the end of the series, or it sucks for the characters.

The first Starfox game is not considered canon anymore. Starfox 64 took its place in the timeline.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Hey guys: This proves that going from predictable discussion to insane discussion can be very discussionish in this thread.

You were right when you said my ideas were on the series, so why did you stray away from that? That's the real issue here. I myself advocated that Porkey was the best suited third Mother character for Pete's sake. But just because someone would be the next in line, doesn't mean that more should be taken from the line.
Yeah, the idea on the series itself is a pretty bad mindset. I do agree I think too much on the characters, but I think we need to open ourselves further. I did by listening to Toise's and Fatmanonice's posts along with Kuma's line about "This isn't a smash congress" And it really did open my mindset on the view of characters.

I consider the statuses of the series themselves, as shown with my example, but you have to consider the characters too. Each game in smash has gone further obscure in characters yet at the same time, appleasing more parts of Nintendo. If you don't think It's getting more obscure; Get off of whatever drug you're on :laugh: There is no bad thing in getting too obscure supporting characters just as long as they're all fine additions (As in: Important, Standing out in Importance/Priority over most of the rest of the series, etc) to there series and loved by the fans of those. We are merely only fans, thus we have no true say on if a series "Deserves" A Certain number. Heck, as I said, there is technically no cap, so If Sakurai sees the series not complete in the evolving/protaginist theory, he can take one from the line with us having no say about it.

Now, I do get what you're saying still. The Priority on Mother characters with supporting characters isn't the highest, especially when Metroid, DK, Starfox, F-Zero, and others are still running around a bit. Thus rendering Pokey/Masked Man as less probable suggestions.

Close to very improbable however? Nope. With nobody actually confirmed as newcomers, we have no info that suggests this asides from the Evolving/Static Theories.

True, but the basic trophies have the one thing Assist Trophies and Pokeball Pokemon don't have:

No limits on what you want. :)
Actually there is. Usually 2D Trophies don't happen. I don't think most of my suggestions were even that probable for regular trophies.

It's at THE END do you press the A button and you "see" that the characters survived. They mention that they would have to start their world anew since the world was, depending on how you look at it, was purified of technology and Porky's influences.

More of the middle? Are we talking MOTHER or Starfox here?

It would be nice if we got more info on the backstories for the Starfox characters. Currently, Wolf's trophy saying he knew James is inaccurate, but that may be something mentioned in the next Starfox game. As for the whole James thing, the best theory I've seen derives from the '93 Starfox comic. It basically explains how he can see the dimension Fox is in, but can't directly interact with anything besides talking.

Venom is another vague thing along with Andross' body. As for the Starfox team moving away from each other. Falco leaving was explained with a tie-in manga for Starfox Adventures. Command, IIRC, is only partially canon. I think none of the current endings are canon which is good because they either signified the end of the series, or it sucks for the characters.

The first Starfox game is not considered canon anymore. Starfox 64 took its place in the timeline.
Thanks for telling me about that, I'll try seeing that.

Anyways, I would like to see more on Starfox and Mother. That's very interesting info. I just really wish Command wasn't the end of the series If It actually turned out to be, because Assult and Starfox 64 were just so good in my eyes but also left me with so many questions.

I personally would enjoy to see a game that ties in with all these loopholes and plot stuff. Andross's body is just so weird and It's just all never explained. There's also more content you can fill in, like Bill and Fox (Correct?) At the training academy together or so. When I replayed 64 I was like "Wait, what?" I mean, Wolf's a cool character but he's just never really explained on how his rivalry began.

There's just so much left open about the past, the present, and the future of it.

As for Mother, I would like to see how some of the stuff ties in as well. Giygas always seemed interesting and I suppose with that ending It's possible to make a sequel, but on the contrary, I can understand why they ended Mother 3 there

Since Claus is dead, Giygas's army is gone, and Pokey's in safety for eternity

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, the idea on the series itself is a pretty bad mindset. I do agree I think too much on the characters, but I think we need to open ourselves further. I did by listening to Toise's and Fatmanonice's posts along with Kuma's line about "This isn't a smash congress" And it really did open my mindset on the view of characters.
If we were to go by what you want there, there would be sort of Smash senate. Certain sereis do get more representation than others, and those series are the ones that have accomplished more. No one can deny that.

I consider the statuses of the series themselves, as shown with my example, but you have to consider the characters too. Each game in smash has gone further obscure in characters yet at the same time, appleasing more parts of Nintendo. If you don't think It's getting more obscure; Get off of whatever drug you're on :laugh: There is no bad thing in getting too obscure supporting characters just as long as they're all fine additions (As in: Important, Standing out in Importance/Priority over most of the rest of the series, etc) to there series and loved by the fans of those. We are merely only fans, thus we have no true say on if a series "Deserves" A Certain number. Heck, as I said, there is technically no cap, so If Sakurai sees the series not complete in the evolving/protaginist theory, he can take one from the line with us having no say about it.
It IS bad that things are getting more obscure. Its something that is happening, I won't deny that, but it is far from a good thing. In fact its probably the worst thing that can happen to Smash because its so possible. When you get more and more obscure characters, you lose touch with the mainstream audiance. When you lose touch with the mainstream audiance you start to lose sails. Brawl got away with obscure characters because it could deflect the problem with first rate third party characters, but if it keeps on getting more and more obscure, it will be the death of the series. To that end, it is damaging if you add more and more things from unimportant series, even if the character you're adding is important to said unimportant series. You're throwing away popularity for the sake of a character's position within a series is not progressive at all and is more and is more recessive. If the Smash series is to survive, it needs to keep on expanding, instead of going back to old, unpopular games, and just choosing characters because they had a large role in it. Again this reminds me too much of the Geno debates where the fans disregard the age and unimportance of the character as a whole and cite how the character is popular and important ot the game itself. Claus and Porkey are very close to this, but they don't have nearly as many fans gunning for them because people generally don't know the series.

And why would Sakurai take another character from a dead and unpopular series anyways? There's no logic in that. Again you're not giving a reason other than you think all series must expand, and again I must stress that in the end that's simply expanding the series for the sake of expanding instead of paying attention to what people actually want.

Now, I do get what you're saying still. The Priority on Mother characters with supporting characters isn't the highest, especially when Metroid, DK, Starfox, F-Zero, and others are still running around a bit. Thus rendering Pokey/Masked Man as less probable suggestions.

Close to very improbable however? Nope. With nobody actually confirmed as newcomers, we have no info that suggests this asides from the Evolving/Static Theories.
No you're not getting what I'm saying. If Mother was actually popular it would be a bigger series like Metroid, DK, and whatever, but its simply not, and it never will be if you go by everything we know right now. There's zero point in including a new character to a series that so few have played and won't ever start up again. Its going to get closer and closer to a retro series, but due to its good forture of lasting a bit longer than those had gotten two characters instead of one. Now tell me if you can, if a series isn't popular, and there's so few games for it that so few have played, what is the incentive of adding a new character from it when it is already represented?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thanks for telling me about that, I'll try seeing that.

Anyways, I would like to see more on Starfox and Mother. That's very interesting info. I just really wish Command wasn't the end of the series If It actually turned out to be, because Assult and Starfox 64 were just so good in my eyes but also left me with so many questions.

I personally would enjoy to see a game that ties in with all these loopholes and plot stuff. Andross's body is just so weird and It's just all never explained. There's also more content you can fill in, like Bill and Fox (Correct?) At the training academy together or so. When I replayed 64 I was like "Wait, what?" I mean, Wolf's a cool character but he's just never really explained on how his rivalry began.

There's just so much left open about the past, the present, and the future of it.

As for Mother, I would like to see how some of the stuff ties in as well. Giygas always seemed interesting and I suppose with that ending It's possible to make a sequel, but on the contrary, I can understand why they ended Mother 3 there

Since Claus is dead, Giygas's army is gone, and Pokey's in safety for eternity
I'd like to see a Starfox Chronicles game that filled in the missing information and expand on the generalized info. I've always wanted to see a Starfox Zero be made where we play the mission James embarked on prior to the events of 64. Overall, I could really see a lot of this stuff, along with the game events, in a comic like the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers UDON comics (but canon), or possibly a canon anime which would also make it one of the few kemono anime out there.

The way I see it, MOTHER 3's ending was the type where you can either end there or go on. After all, a new evil may rise to take over or Giygas' people have been preparing a full scale invasion all this time.

Now that I think about it, MOTHER, Starfox, Metroid, Zelda, and Fire Emblem would make for some very good anime if done right.

Speaking of MOTHER,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgV9K6Parqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaZ1O06G10

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
If we were to go by what you want there, there would be sort of Smash senate. Certain sereis do get more representation than others, and those series are the ones that have accomplished more. No one can deny that.
Certain series get more representation over others first.

Mario has four characters first because It accomplished enough to get them first. See: You view sales as a general deciding factor. I view them moreso as what a series should get first. We each have our reasons and there's absolutely no way to decipher which one is right.

Anyways, It's not a smash congress. Now, back to obscurity discussion:

It IS bad that things are getting more obscure. Its something that is happening, I won't deny that, but it is far from a good thing. In fact its probably the worst thing that can happen to Smash because its so possible. When you get more and more obscure characters, you lose touch with the mainstream audiance. When you lose touch with the mainstream audiance you start to lose sails. Brawl got away with obscure characters because it could deflect the problem with first rate third party characters, but if it keeps on getting more and more obscure, it will be the death of the series. To that end, it is damaging if you add more and more things from unimportant series, even if the character you're adding is important to said unimportant series. You're throwing away popularity for the sake of a character's position within a series is not progressive at all and is more and is more recessive. If the Smash series is to survive, it needs to keep on expanding, instead of going back to old, unpopular games, and just choosing characters because they had a large role in it. Again this reminds me too much of the Geno debates where the fans disregard the age and unimportance of the character as a whole and cite how the character is popular and important ot the game itself. Claus and Porkey are very close to this, but they don't have nearly as many fans gunning for them because people generally don't know the series.
In fact its probably the worst thing that can happen to Smash because its so possible.
I didn't just read this, did I? If you want a tl;dr explination, It's at the bottom. I think I've completely shifted from Claus/Pokey and got into views in general.

First off, If this was so bad, you better show me a complaint to this.

By this logic, most newcomer ideas for Smash 4 shouldn't be considered, which is ridiculous on It's own. If we're comparing these standards then how about I begin listing a number of characters you've basically said "lol, no" Too? The roster will get more obscure regardless unless you start shoeing in popular characters. At least shoeing in important characters has more of a logic into it.

And the worst thing possible isn't that. There's much worse you can get into. Sakurai and Co seem to be completely fine with adding in Roster obscurity and even Sales say so. It makes a great roster as all series that have the important characters get there important characters. Some Third-Parties join the Boat. Some series with only one PC And Retro's are in for a nice Touch, and some nice Alternative costume stuff asides from Wario and whoolah. Nice roster. Nobody's complaining there asides from people who want something like every mario character ever made playable.

Geno =/= Pokey and Claus.

Geno is from a series where all the "Main" Characters are done, at least for now. Possible Bowser Jr/Toad mention. Claus and Pokey are next in line in Mother.

Now then, this is pretty tangenty but whatever. Things are getting more Obscure, nobody can deny that. Now why should things stop getting more obscure? To say we should start shoeing in completely unimportant/less important characters for a larger series instead of expanding on smaller ones along with other parts of Nintendo/Third-Parties is just completely stupid. We still have the other Popular ones, and it is clearly not the direction the Developers want to take. It's not damaging the series in any way when you look at what Smash has already done, as there's not really many "Popular" characters of Nintendo's history left that wouldn't be filler. Heck, even some of the more considered popular additions from Brawl's collection of Newcomers aren't the most appealing. I asked some of my friends who HAVE Played Kirby Games. They didn't even know who Meta-Knight was yet they played Super Star, 64, and Air-Ride.

Heck, are we just looking at the characters popularity or are we not even looking at the game itself? Game mechanics come in as a selling part of a game as well. Some may just enjoy the game for what it is and not every new addition. You know, just as a fun game. There's certainly many other ways to keep that fanbase happy. Alternative-Ego's are certainly possible on a fresh few characters like Dr. Mario/Mario. Online would help increase a number of people greatly. An actual story that isn't a kirby platformer Amazing Campaign without a ton of time spent could also prove to be very casual warming. There's many things the series could do without just completely selling itself on characters, you know, like what helped it in the first place.

Furthermore, why is obscurity so bad? You're treating it here like It's going to kill the entire series, which on It's own is pretty crazy to say. Putting Lucas into brawl helped his popularity a lot and was a very nice thing to do for the fans. Putting Ness in helped the series. Putting Olimar and Ice Climbers into Smash created a fresh new playstyle, along with Ice Climbers. Putting Fire Emblem into Smash made the series have a fanbase in the US and EVEN BE IN THE US IN THE FIRST PLACE Along with helping Roy, Ike, and Marth greatly. Putting Fox and his friends into Smash opened many of my friends to Star Fox. Putting F-Zero and Metroid into Smash had many people I know getting into those games.

etc, the list can go on. Really now, this game is even moreso about pleasing fans than completely adding in popular characters along with opening eyes to series. The Additions turn out great because they make you want to find out more about series and whatnot. Well, not always great. There's the chance of getting a dud like Dr. Mario, but even then, that was loved by many smash fans oddly enough. Maybe not so much on forums who have the knowledge of knowing most of these crazy supporting characters, but I do have a lot of friends who were very questioned so on the melee veterans at least.

So no, It's not the devil of smash that can kill it. Digging deep into characters does a great thing. Just try and tell me that digging deeper in Brawl was bad. Infact, open your brawl disc right now, turn it in. Now tell me they didn't bring anything new to the table. Tell me how Lucas is a horrible addition to his series. Tell me how we should get popular characters only.

See - You can't tell me how It's the devil of the game, because truthfully it isn't. Sure, adding in ONLY Obscure characters can very well bring a downfall, but nobody here is stating something like "lol masked man > megaman he has wings and stuff"

For all we know, a lot of fans seem to enjoy it as It's a game that goes through Nintendo's history, obscure and non obscure making one great fighting game. Not just "Hey look, It's Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon party with some added characters in" Which is my problem I personally had with Mario Hoops 3-on-3. It advertised the fact of having Final Fantasy characters, yet It only had like 7? They were all unlockable too. Yeah gee thanks.

Adding in popular characters only creates a very bland roster. If you look at some fan-made roster's, that's wide open proof of that. Creating a roster of complete obscurity isn't the best thing ever, but when you realize it, the game WILL Get more obscure, and Sakurai and Devs along with players do not seem to have any problem with that. Heck look at it, Mario, the most popular gaming character. Anything else would get too obscure, so just keep it to him? Yep. Sounds like a great idea! (Obvious Sarcasm Applied)

Here's another thing: You're now getting into applying outside of the internet where as the internet knows all these crazy supporting characters. How do we even know what most people outside of the internet, which is the fanbase you seem to be talking to want? All I know is Melee Veterans and Ridley, along with some Third-Parties. See: That's the thing. There's no direct choices there.

Everyone infact on the internet seems to be fine with the idea of each series expanding to there important characters. It just comes down to what they believe is important, asides from the Fan-Made logic of "A SERIES CAN ONLY HAVE THIS MANY CHARACTERS BECAUSE IT'S NOT AS POPULAAR" Which is a horrid way to base a roster.

It's not a problem now. It doesn't appear to be a future problem yet. Until it is, we shouldn't be concerned. Sales have only went up along with ideas. Everyone asides from people screaming out a bit seems to be fine with it as with what I've seen. It's helped characters/series. It's made interesting Roster's. If you don't make bold choices, you end out with blandness.

Now, which is more soul-selling, the idea I mentioned here:
A)
It makes a great roster as all series that have the important characters get there important characters. Some Third-Parties join the Boat. Some series with only one PC And Retro's are in for a nice Touch, and some nice Alternative costume stuff asides from Wario and whoolah. Nice roster. Nobody's complaining there asides from people who want something like every mario character ever made playable.
Or B) Adding in characters just for being popular instead of important in the Grand Scheme of things and ignoring most of the actual popular suggestions on the internet and not opening any new fan eyes at all along with what some people want (Let's face it, any console fanbase of the three is pretty spread out asides from "Main" Series)

I have yet to see any huge complaints on A, yet on the contrary, I've seen many people with B Against characters such as Waluigi and a Mii. Not to say that some popular additions would be bad. As long as they're worthy characters to said franchise and help the completion of it? Yeah, sure. There's nothing wrong with that. Just give the other franchises that already started too.

Finally, you want a reason for Claus and Pokey? Sure. Here's something: If you explain say, Mario to a friend, you end out telling about Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser for the most part. If you end up explaining Mother, you end out explaining Claus, Lucas, Ness (/ninten), Giygas, and Pokey. I've had to actually explain the series multiple times to my friends who don't understand it. Having Lucas and Ness only is kinda bad in a way, since it leads to mis representing the series a bit. Like some people will think Lucas and Ness are brothers.

One of them even asked after I explained "Why aren't Pokey and Claus there?" And I said "Well, the series isn't really that big, but there's always a shot in the future along with other series who aren't complete on there line of supporting characters too" It already started expanding, so it might as well finish the line.

So really, that's part of why I hold so much stock into them as characters. They're important characters that wouldn't be filler even If the franchise isn't that big, which really it already started stocking up on It's supporting characters. They could be great characters into smash and open more appeal than just PSI kids and would add well to the roster along with being different to the entire cast of characters in Smash. What kind of character has that Dark Personality of Claus? What kind of character is that boss that is literately unbeatable and traps himself in absolute Safety just to not be defeated or is in a Spider-Mech?

And that is why I believe every series should have It's important characters along with what Toise and FMOI Say that have opened me up. It gives fans of each of the installed franchises something great and in the end, doesn't garnet too much hate as long as It's presented correctly like Brawl has shown. NO SERIES LEFT BEHIND!

And the only thing you can really have against it is the series itself, which is putting too much stock into the series. If I may quote Toise earlier (since you know, I've like never done this before /sarcasm):

If you're seeing the roster as Blue Hair, Blue Hair, and Blue Hair or 1st gen, 1st gen, 4th gen, then there's something wrong with you. People want characters, not categories
Picking off of series popularity only is completely boring and creates a bland roster which should be also avoided at all costs and also causes a lack of interest.

There; I said it. You want anymore reasoning than this?

One final thing: All those characters added are important. We have received no filler yet or nothing just for being popular outside of Third-Parties asides from Melee which was rushed.

Important characters who are more popular? Yes. Characters who just happen to be more popular than other supporting characters despite importance? Nope.

There's my rant. If that doesn't make any of my motive and so clear, then I don't think I need to be trying anymore. That's enough for tonight.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd like to see a Starfox Chronicles game that filled in the missing information and expand on the generalized info. I've always wanted to see a Starfox Zero be made where we play the mission James embarked on prior to the events of 64. Overall, I could really see a lot of this stuff, along with the game events, in a comic like the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers UDON comics (but canon), or possibly a canon anime which would also make it one of the few kemono anime out there.

The way I see it, MOTHER 3's ending was the type where you can either end there or go on. After all, a new evil may rise to take over or Giygas' people have been preparing a full scale invasion all this time.

Now that I think about it, MOTHER, Starfox, Metroid, Zelda, and Fire Emblem would make for some very good anime if done right.

Speaking of MOTHER,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgV9K6Parqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaZ1O06G10
Bump because other post was way too long.

Yeah, I could see this working very well with Star Fox. Star Fox: The Missing Ends. Give me that and an actual ending to the series like Mother gave me and I'll be fine with that :laugh: It keeps me curious on If we'll ever see a SF6 (5 because of SNES) before Smash 4.

Could be possible, but it just seems it defeated all the evil. When you play the three it just really comes to feel like that. I guess one of the Pigmasks If still alive could come and take over with a whole new idea. I don't really know, but If that is the true ending of the series, I'm pretty fine with it. It at least didn't leave me with a ton of questions unlike Star Fox.

I don't know why but I'm not thinking TV shows. I'm thinking books and I usually don't think that. Like ever.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Bump because other post was way too long.

Yeah, I could see this working very well with Star Fox. Star Fox: The Missing Ends. Give me that and an actual ending to the series like Mother gave me and I'll be fine with that :laugh: It keeps me curious on If we'll ever see a SF6 (5 because of SNES) before Smash 4.

Could be possible, but it just seems it defeated all the evil. When you play the three it just really comes to feel like that. I guess one of the Pigmasks If still alive could come and take over with a whole new idea. I don't really know, but If that is the true ending of the series, I'm pretty fine with it. It at least didn't leave me with a ton of questions unlike Star Fox.

I don't know why but I'm not thinking TV shows. I'm thinking books and I usually don't think that. Like ever.
Well, the reason I suggest a new evil is that, from my understanding, it was just the Earth itself that was purified, not the entire universe. Thus, Giygas' planet was unaffected. This applies to everywhere else as well. Then there's your inherent darkness that exists in everyone. I mean, look what happened to Porky.

Books? I'd be fine with that so long as it's a graphic novel of some sort.

Oh, I just want to say this on the whole character to just to sum up my views on characters. I apologize if I come off as a broken record.

Looking at the GDC link you posted, I've been thinking about the criteria along with my views.

It's interesting that the characters should be someone who people are willing to play. In other words, this isn't so much about popularity as it is who isn't hated when you look at it one way. So, Tingle, for all we know, may not be included because of this. So, I could argue that someone like Kumatora or Masked Man/Boy could happen because they aren't hated, and may also have similar reactions the MOTHER and FE characters received. But, like you said, that doesn't justify solely obscure characters.

Not only do I look at everyone as an individual, and not the series they come from, but I also look at gameplay potential. Case in point: Ice Climbers and Olimar. For those not in, yet, Tom Nook could bring in a style based on traps with his furniture leaves; Kumatora could bring in a C. Viper esque style; Masked Man/Boy might bring in a hybrid style as well.

At the same time, I look at what's within the realm of possibility for gameplay as well. I see it more as tapping into the potential of the game's engine, not the engine working for the characters.

Then, there's the last of Sakurai's criteria: The character must contribute to the game balance. The way this is worded is kinda vague. It could be used for reps arguments, but it seems that this just stating what's inherently necessary: That the characters are balanced with equal (or near equal) good, bad, and average matchups.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Certain series get more representation over others first.

Mario has four characters first because It accomplished enough to get them first. See: You view sales as a general deciding factor. I view them moreso as what a series should get first. We each have our reasons and there's absolutely no way to decipher which one is right.

Anyways, It's not a smash congress. Now, back to obscurity discussion:
While you may not want to say that it is a Smash congress, its closer to that than a Smash senate.

By this logic, most newcomer ideas for Smash 4 shouldn't be considered, which is ridiculous on It's own. If we're comparing these standards then how about I begin listing a number of characters you've basically said "lol, no" Too? The roster will get more obscure regardless unless you start shoeing in popular characters. At least shoeing in important characters has more of a logic into it.
The Roster will become more obscure characters becaue there's no stopping that, but it will be characters that people know despite their obscurity. K.Rool, Goroh, Bowser Jr., and pretty much every other pottential pick outside of Mega Man, are obscure characters but they are characters that are actually featured in curent games. Now Mother 3 may still be considered curent to a degree, but by the time of Smash 4, it most certainly will not be.

Geno =/= Pokey and Claus.

Geno is from a series where all the "Main" Characters are done, at least for now. Possible Bowser Jr/Toad mention. Claus and Pokey are next in line in Mother.
No other character has the same situation that Geno does, but its fairly simmilar to your two Mother picks given the situation of Smash 4. At the time they will be characters who have not shown up in a new game in a very long time, and their only claim to fame would be a somewhat major role in one game. (Actually this is closer to Claus than Porky. I don't know why you keep on throwing in Claus in there, since it seems that Porky is such a better choice than him, but that's a totally different debate) The only thing that will be pushing them is a very vocal yet small fanbase, and time after time, its clear that something like that just doesn't matter.

Now then, this is pretty tangenty but whatever. Things are getting more Obscure, nobody can deny that. Now why should things stop getting more obscure? To say we should start shoeing in completely unimportant/less important characters for a larger series instead of expanding on smaller ones along with other parts of Nintendo/Third-Parties is just completely stupid. We still have the other Popular ones, and it is clearly not the direction the Developers want to take. It's not damaging the series in any way when you look at what Smash has already done, as there's not really many "Popular" characters of Nintendo's history left that wouldn't be filler. Heck, even some of the more considered popular additions from Brawl's collection of Newcomers aren't the most appealing. I asked some of my friends who HAVE Played Kirby Games. They didn't even know who Meta-Knight was yet they played Super Star, 64, and Air-Ride.
Expanse in smaller series should only occur if said smaller series are expanding. F-Zero really shouldn't get its second character unless it has a new game inbetween now and next time. If the main series do not get a new game, then they simply shouldn't expand, and the focus should go to newer series instead of trying to milk a series for all its worth, which is what you're suggesting for Mother. Also, I can only think that your friends have poor memories of the Kirby games if they played Super Star and don't remember MK. :p

Heck, are we just looking at the characters popularity or are we not even looking at the game itself? Game mechanics come in as a selling part of a game as well. Some may just enjoy the game for what it is and not every new addition. You know, just as a fun game. There's certainly many other ways to keep that fanbase happy. Alternative-Ego's are certainly possible on a fresh few characters like Dr. Mario/Mario. Online would help increase a number of people greatly. An actual story that isn't a kirby platformer Amazing Campaign without a ton of time spent could also prove to be very casual warming. There's many things the series could do without just completely selling itself on characters, you know, like what helped it in the first place.
Alter-egos are not something that should be promoted all too seriously. They are true filler you know. Better online would help though. The story that you got in SSE is probably the best you can really hope for, but the platforming should be modified to fit Smash instead of Kirby, which I agree with. What helped it in the first place (assuming you mean SSB) was the characters though. =/

Furthermore, why is obscurity so bad? You're treating it here like It's going to kill the entire series, which on It's own is pretty crazy to say. Putting Lucas into brawl helped his popularity a lot and was a very nice thing to do for the fans. Putting Ness in helped the series. Putting Olimar and Ice Climbers into Smash created a fresh new playstyle, along with Ice Climbers. Putting Fire Emblem into Smash made the series have a fanbase in the US and EVEN BE IN THE US IN THE FIRST PLACE Along with helping Roy, Ike, and Marth greatly. Putting Fox and his friends into Smash opened many of my friends to Star Fox. Putting F-Zero and Metroid into Smash had many people I know getting into those games.
It will kill the series if you go too far. What you're saying is milking older series for all they are worth instead of turning to new things which is what can help move it along. The Fire Emblem thing is silly though as its a reason why a series like Mother shouldn't be revisited. In any case, I agree with this paragraph for the most part, which is what confounds me because it disagrees with what else you're saying. What will adding to the Mother series do? Anyone who wants to play it here pretty much would have to steal it, and there won't be a new game. Why would you focus on a dead series instead of focusing on one that's still around or a new one?

etc, the list can go on. Really now, this game is even moreso about pleasing fans than completely adding in popular characters along with opening eyes to series. The Additions turn out great because they make you want to find out more about series and whatnot. Well, not always great. There's the chance of getting a dud like Dr. Mario, but even then, that was loved by many smash fans oddly enough. Maybe not so much on forums who have the knowledge of knowing most of these crazy supporting characters, but I do have a lot of friends who were very questioned so on the melee veterans at least.
Again, you're missing my point here. I am saying that you need to go to new series instead of pulling out obscure characters from dead series that have already been covered. What you're advocating here is what I want, and the opposite of what you're trying to pitch here. If you're going to go and take another character from a series which is already esablished, then it should be a popular and well known character, and the series should be alive and well. If not though, you should bring in new blood from a unrepresented series. The problem though is that series and the characters are unknown, and there is nothing to promote. Taking new characters from in then is just trying to bring in new characters for the sake of new characters, and that is what will kill the series. Its not what the fans want, and it won't open the fan's eyes to anything new.

Adding in popular characters only creates a very bland roster. If you look at some fan-made roster's, that's wide open proof of that. Creating a roster of complete obscurity isn't the best thing ever, but when you realize it, the game WILL Get more obscure, and Sakurai and Devs along with players do not seem to have any problem with that. Heck look at it, Mario, the most popular gaming character. Anything else would get too obscure, so just keep it to him? Yep. Sounds like a great idea! (Obvious Sarcasm Applied)
Again, this is a mix up that you're not understanding here. There's no way to avoid obscure characters, but there are different levels to this and different effects that inclusion can create, which you yourself have stated. Porky and Masked Man don't enlighten anyone about the series more than Lucas does. Porky and MM aren't popular, as is you yourself understand. Porky and MM will almost certainly not have new mechanics that make them a needed inclusion. That's why they have such low chances. Few people want them, their series is dead, and all that other jazz I've been restating so many times that you're not listening to. When you are forced to resort to characters like these, then you are digging too deep. When its got this bad, then you're at the point where you're killing the series. Everything else you said about including obscure characters is true, but it does not apply to these guys here, which is what I just don't understand.

Here's another thing: You're now getting into applying outside of the internet where as the internet knows all these crazy supporting characters. How do we even know what most people outside of the internet, which is the fanbase you seem to be talking to want? All I know is Melee Veterans and Ridley, along with some Third-Parties. See: That's the thing. There's no direct choices there.
High sales and repeating apperances are great indicator to the general popularity of a character. Its how you can meassure things outside of the internet, though its not very exact and can't always be your full basis.

Everyone infact on the internet seems to be fine with the idea of each series expanding to there important characters. It just comes down to what they believe is important, asides from the Fan-Made logic of "A SERIES CAN ONLY HAVE THIS MANY CHARACTERS BECAUSE IT'S NOT AS POPULAAR" Which is a horrid way to base a roster.
Its even worse to just add in more characters for the simple sake of expansion which is what you're advocating here. The middle ground here is that obscure series get at least some representation, while more popular series get their more popular characters included. Giving a obscure series more characters despite the fact that no one really cares for the characters is just as bad as creating a roster only comprised of the most popular characters. Since I feel that this mostly responds to the rest of your point below, I'm going to skip over some quotes (Really, there's no need to keep restating your point again and again....wait, I'm doing that aren't I? :urg: )

Finally, you want a reason for Claus and Pokey? Sure. Here's something: If you explain say, Mario to a friend, you end out telling about Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser for the most part. If you end up explaining Mother, you end out explaining Claus, Lucas, Ness (/ninten), Giygas, and Pokey. I've had to actually explain the series multiple times to my friends who don't understand it. Having Lucas and Ness only is kinda bad in a way, since it leads to mis representing the series a bit. Like some people will think Lucas and Ness are brothers.

One of them even asked after I explained "Why aren't Pokey and Claus there?" And I said "Well, the series isn't really that big, but there's always a shot in the future along with other series who aren't complete on there line of supporting characters too" It already started expanding, so it might as well finish the line.
It shouldn't though because the series is dead and unpopular. Trying to give every series their supporting character only works if the supporting characters are worth something. The Mario series is so popular that it gets multiple games, and with its multiple games it gets to exapnd the characters and increase their popularity as well. In Addition to this it doesn't matter how curious your friend is, because the series is also grounded in Japan for the most part, and he'll likely have to steal to get it....Heck again your explanation is still just more exapnsion for the sake of expanding the series instead of the merits of the characters.

And that is why I believe every series should have It's important characters along with what Toise and FMOI Say that have opened me up. It gives fans of each of the installed franchises something great and in the end, doesn't garnet too much hate as long as It's presented correctly like Brawl has shown. NO SERIES LEFT BEHIND!

And the only thing you can really have against it is the series itself, which is putting too much stock into the series. If I may quote Toise earlier (since you know, I've like never done this before /sarcasm):
The fans of the franchise already have their characters, and these addition ones are pushing way beyond what is needed. Heck, Lucas himself is more than it really needs, but he's there anyways. It garners hate in that it ignores characters who do have enough fans and enough games in favor of some obscure second stringer from a unknown franchise. Mother is already very well represented given all that it has done, so it hasn't been left behind. Its received more than its earned, and given that it won't expand with new games or fans, it shouldn't get new characters either. You're still not giving a real point other than your own self satisfaction.

Thus you're being just as bad a the Blue Hair, Blue Hair, etc type people because you're jsut going Mother Character, Mother Character, F-Zero Character, F-Zero Character, Yoshi character, and what not without actually paying attention to what people actually want. Most of what you're saying is completely right here, but you just don't seem to understand how it is a double standard.

BEES

Smash Lord
Knuckles shouldn't get in...nor should any other Sonic (or MGS) character for that matter. It takes away from this being about Nintendo all-stars, so third party characters should really only be limited to one playable character per franchise.
I would disagree with that. Even if the next 10 characters added were 3rd party, some from the same game, the cast would still be overwhelmingly Nintendo. People said the addition of any 3rd party characters detracted from the 'Nintendoness' of the game, and they weren't exactly right. I heard rumors that Tails was planned for Brawl, but SEGA wouldn't allow it. Not sure how true those rumors are, but considering there's a full model of 4 other Sonic characters in the game, I could certainly see it.

I think Megaman is the only truly essential 3rd party character for the next game. Capcom definitely needs the representation, and their classic platformer is the most appropriate. If they added no other 3rd parties but him, I would be content.

Assuming, of course, the gameplay is improved somewhat.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Again, you're missing my point here. I am saying that you need to go to new series instead of pulling out obscure characters from dead series that have already been covered. What you're advocating here is what I want, and the opposite of what you're trying to pitch here. If you're going to go and take another character from a series which is already esablished, then it should be a popular and well known character, and the series should be alive and well. If not though, you should bring in new blood from a unrepresented series. The problem though is that series and the characters are unknown, and there is nothing to promote. Taking new characters from in then is just trying to bring in new characters for the sake of new characters, and that is what will kill the series. Its not what the fans want, and it won't open the fan's eyes to anything new.
If I'm following your logic here, that means there should be more Metroid and Mario characters because they're fresher series than a lot of others (each will have had a game this year and one next)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I would disagree with that. Even if the next 10 characters added were 3rd party, some from the same game, the cast would still be overwhelmingly Nintendo. People said the addition of any 3rd party characters detracted from the 'Nintendoness' of the game, and they weren't exactly right. I heard rumors that Tails was planned for Brawl, but SEGA wouldn't allow it. Not sure how true those rumors are, but considering there's a full model of 4 other Sonic characters in the game, I could certainly see it.

I think Megaman is the only truly essential 3rd party character for the next game. Capcom definitely needs the representation, and their classic platformer is the most appropriate. If they added no other 3rd parties but him, I would be content.

Assuming, of course, the gameplay is improved somewhat.
Well their inclusion does take away from the Nintendo-ness to a degree, though nothing to be distressed about. The thing with adding in another from the series is that just means you add another and another and another until you get a Sonic series which is as big as the Mario series. Thus I feel that if the third parties are to expand, they should really just expand out with new third party series. I have no problem with Sega contributing another third party character, as long as its someone from a series that hasn't been covered. (Thus we can also have the same apply to Konami and get a Castlevania character) Otherwise all we'll ever get from Sega is just more Sonic characters. >_>

And I think that rumor is just that. Sakurai basically said that Sonic was the last character due to fan demand, and there's no indication that Tails was ever intended to be a playable character like Mewtwo or Roy were.

@darsksamus.

That's something that should influence it, but there's more than that. The characters chosen for the most part should be popular within the series as well, isntead of just say a flavor of the game cahracter like say Rosalina (Well actually Rosalina may be getting more roles, and thus becoming more valid) This isn't really a problem for the Mario series persay, but rather the Metroid one because Samus seems to love killing side characters. If Ridley didn't exist, then there would be little to no choice of a good or popular character there, and thus it shouldn't expand. (But it does have Ridley, so it should....confused?)

@everyone else

I thought just popped into my head, but I remember Roy was said to be like Mewtwo in having more data than more of the other cut characters, but I can't remember exactly what said data was. Can anyone remind me what he got that the others (bar Mewtwo) didn't get?

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm
Has anyone noticed that all of nintendo's major, non portable gaming systems starting with super nintendo 64 has had a SSB game? This was pointed out by a friend of mine. SN64 had SSB, gamecube had SSBM and wii has brawl. Get what I'm sayin'? Thats probably why we had to wait 7 years for brawl. Now, if this pattern is correct, doesn't that mean the next brawl will come out when the next major wii system comes out?

Statement taken by my previous discussion in pool room.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
....must...resist urge...to be completely insulting....

Yes, we all realize that the Smash game comes out on a different Nintendo home console and that its probably the case SSB4 will be the same. We were aware of that for quite a long time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And I think that rumor is just that. Sakurai basically said that Sonic was the last character due to fan demand, and there's no indication that Tails was ever intended to be a playable character like Mewtwo or Roy were.
You could argue that data of Tails simply never got in, but you could apply this to every character not on the roster.

I thought just popped into my head, but I remember Roy was said to be like Mewtwo in having more data than more of the other cut characters, but I can't remember exactly what said data was. Can anyone remind me what he got that the others (bar Mewtwo) didn't get?
The only things I can remember is the personal victory theme and I think all the other stuff Mewtwo got save for a classic mode screen.

UberMario

Smash Master
@everyone else

Roy and Mewtwo (as well as Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Falco, Wolf, DeDeDe, Ike, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Gannondorf, and Toon Link) were supposed to have special victory fanfares because they have files (like all the Mario characters have the same fanfare, all Pokemon characters have, Kirby and DeDeDe have, Meta-Knight has, etc.) that were unused/empty and none of the other scrapped characters have any directories or files like that.

Mewtwo also had a 1-P Classic picture (like on the vs. Marth screen, Metal _____, etc.) data that none of the other scrapped characters INCLUDING Roy have, suggesting he was scrapped within the last four months of the four years of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom