• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a regular Space Pirate as a playable character or at least an assist trophy.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind it either but then I realized: I'd rather have a bunch of Space Pirate enemies in Story Mode. That's where I turned to Weavile..... Don't get me wrong, Ridley is meh first guy for Metroid. Just seein what everyone would want as the 3rd Metroid (4th counting ZSS)....

The hunters would be tricky to decide, mainly because hey all have equal prevalance between them, so there isn;t a single hunter that holds any special title over another...I think, I never touched hunters.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Metroid does not have one character. It has two, remember? Samus and Zero Suit Samus. Yes, they are the same character story-wise but they are two completely different characters moveset-wise. And hey! At least Zero Suit Samus does not take up space on the character select screen so she is not wasting any space.
Oh, I kinda forgot about her when typing up that post last night :laugh: You have a point but the point is that sales don't really determine that much: It's more about how many characters that are plausible each series has. (Which SmashChu, Toise, and I have been pointing out along with possible others) - If It was based on sales, chances are FE Would only stick with 2 reps along with SF, Mother would only have one, AC Would have a rep, etc, etc.

That's why I don't look too much into liklihood for characters, retro or not. In Smash, anything can happen.
It really depends; With regular series already installed we can determine who probably will come next. With Retro's/New Series/Third-Party/etc There's not really much of a basis.

n88

Smash Lord
@Shino

I haven't played Hunters either. Although I've heard Sylux mentioned quite a few times (Still nowhere near Ridley, but he gets mentioned more than other hunters).

And yes, I would love to see Space Pirates as enemies in the SSE. Along with Zelda enemies and Kremlings. I'd love to see the Primids get the boot (Or at least much, much less focus) in exchange for some previously known baddies.

artifact

Smash Cadet
Yea, i would like to see Ridely. I am a little concerned about his size though. I havent played any metroid games outside of the gameboy ones so i dont know, but i remember him being pretty big in those games. It would just be weird to see how they would balance him ya know? hes super strong, super fast and he would probably end up being a large character(IMO) i dunno, im just guessing, i dont really have any merrit in the metroid series.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It could work but, as other people had said, they would have to spend more time on him than other characters in the past in order to make him fair. Other fighting games have made large characters with long reaches work in the past so I have confidence that, if the developers put effort into the process, they can do the same for Ridley in Smash Bros.

Well making large characters, despite reach, often are at a disadvantage as it is due to ease of Chaingrabbing and juggling, so longer reach and jacked up size would balance each other out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I doubt Ridley would be based on Metroid Prime and Zero Mission. They are old games now and the most recent Metroid game is Other M. That's how Ridley would likely look like. If people don't think Ridley is too big in Metroid Prime and Zero Mission, well, he's definitely way too big in Other M - there's no way denying that. I don't see that version of Ridley suddenly shrinked down to Samus's size in Smash.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
In a box filled with peas 300 feet below ground
Yea, i would like to see Ridely. I am a little concerned about his size though. I havent played any metroid games outside of the gameboy ones so i dont know, but i remember him being pretty big in those games. It would just be weird to see how they would balance him ya know? hes super strong, super fast and he would probably end up being a large character(IMO) i dunno, im just guessing, i dont really have any merrit in the metroid series.
This is for everyone. READ THE RIDLEY DEFENSE POST, IT COVERS ALL ISSUES FROM SIZE TO TIME, HE WOULD WORK....yep

n88

Smash Lord
@Arcadenik

There's no law that says he has to use the most recent appearance (Which may not actually be Other M by the time SSB4 rolls around). If Sakurai decides that Ridley should be in, he can just as easily use the older (More recognizable) appearance so as to make that possible.

Actually after watching that Other M trailer again, I think the new Ridley would work just as well as the new, since the new seems to have some bipedal action going on.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Other M Ridley's head seems to be that of a humming bird. :V

Anyways, I was recently thinking about the concept of alt costumes, and tried to make a list of characters and what their alts should be. As I did so though, there were a few characters who I could not think of much for, most notably Yoshi (no, Boshi doesn't really count) Zelda/Sheik, and Kirby, and Mr. Game & Watch. Thus I would like to ask the SSB4 topic who they think could work. (And before you say something like Toon Zelda/Sheik, that really wouldn't work as a alt costume due to the size difference)

n88

Smash Lord
@Pieman
Zelda/Sheik - Nayru/Din
Yoshi - Boshi counts..:(

Mr. Game & Watch - Uhh...... Mrs. Game & Watch?
Kirby - You got me there. Uhh..Unmasked Meta Knight?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Simply put, some are easier to imagine than others.

For Zelda/Sheik, I'm stumped.

n88

Smash Lord
Nayru fits Zelda fine. Din is a little stranger for Sheik, but still doable, IMO.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I suppose Nayru and Din could work, though I would think Farore would get mixed in there....then again they were the ones featured on the Oracles games.

Sorry, Boshi doesn't count. We can only assume at this point that SMRPG stuff will remain under SE's control by SSB4.

Given that I would think that all alt costumes would work in the same fashion that Wario's does, and stll be based around the character themself (if at all possible) I would think that a Ms. Game & Watch would be pretty funky, given that my mental image is that of G&W with a bow or something but the announcer still refers to the character as "Mr." :p

Wouldn't a unmasked Meta Knight work out better as a alt-costume for...well Meta Knight?

n88

Smash Lord
@Pieman

The unmasked MK thing was a joke. I don't have any ideas for Kirby.

Farore didn't have as much of a role as Nayru and Din did, though.

At any rate, I don't think every character should have an alt. costume the alts that should be in (IMO) are :

Mario - Dr. Mario
Peach - Daisy
DK - Funky Kong
Yoshi - Boshi :mad088:
Wario - DUH
Link - Feirce Deity
Samus - Dark Samus
Olimar - Louie
Focks - Krystal (OK, not really. But I would find it amusing)
C. Falcon - Blood Falcon (Wait...)
Pika! - Pichu
Sonic - Shadow
Snake - Old Snake

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Zelda/Sheik could be... Gardevoir/Gallade, maybe? Not from the same series, but Zelda could have her magic be unchanged and change Din's Fire into a psychic explosion, give Gallade psychic needles and... we're good to go. Though it would be vastly preferable to use someone from the same series.

Kirby could easily be Gooey.

In any case, I think it's easiest to just give alt costumes to characters with iconic alt costumes already like Wario and his overalls. Otherwise we're bound to get awkward and unfitting ones.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
My two cents on the alt costume thing

Mario - Dr. Mario or Raccoon Mario (I want the Raccoon suit the most here, but I understand that Dr. Mario has history with Smash)
Peach - Sports look (Something like Daisy is a pallet swap rather than a alt costume if you ask me)
Luigi - Mr. L (As if therre was any other choice)
Bowser - Dark Bowser (Lots of people say Dry Bowser, but I think it wouldn't work out to well as far as a alt costume is concerned. Dark Bowser up there is sort of a spoiler though....)
DK - Classic DK (You know, what Cranky used to be. Funky also works fine)
Wario - Overalls (Hurr.)
Link -Golden Armor or Feirce Deity (Both work fine I'd say)
Ganondorf - WW Robes or OoT look (You know those robes he wore in Wind Waker. If those wouldn't work, then his OoT look is fine I'd say)
Samus/ZSS - Dark Samus/DS's true form or Fusion Suit/Samus a tthe end of Fusion (I'm fully aware that Dark Samus wouldn't need to be a clone or a alt costume, but she still could work as one. The unarmored form from Prime 2 could sort of work as ZSS...maybe. In any case, the other idea is Samus in the Fusion suit with ZSS being based off of Samus' look at the end of Fusion.)
Pit - Original look (Well it wouldn't be the exact same I think, but it could be worked in there)
Ice Climbers - Balloon Fighter suits (There's no real alt costume to give these guys, so I think that them dressed up as Balloon Fighters could work. )
ROB - Ancient Minister (Works fine I think)
Meta Knight - Galacta Knight or Unmasked (I actually didn't think about a unmasked MK before, but it could work)
Dedede - Masked Dedede (From SS Ultra)
Olimar - Louise (Not much to work with here...)
Fox - Assault or Adventures look (Either could work fine)
Falco - Assault or Adventures look (Both looks are pretty...fabulous? Really, they both could work fine, but I don't think I would use either)
Wolf - 64 look (Okay, there's not much we really know of Wolf's design here otherr than he had a actual eye patch, but you can improvise here!)
Captain Falcon - Original look or Phoenix (His original look a bit plain I guess...It kind of looked like his anime look where he seemed boxy-ish for some reason. If you don't know what the Phoenix thing is, its another racer from GX/AX that looks quite a bit like Falcon but in white and with a cape)
Marth - Shadow Dragon look or Roy(I guess he looks a bit different in SD. Roy could work as a alt I think though. :p )
Ike - Radiant Dawn look or Black Knight (Radiant Dawn could be the next game's standard look for Ike so if that actually happened, then I'd say the alt should be young Ike from Brawl. As far as BK goes though, its just wishful thinking on my part, and it may be too silly looking in motion to work)
Ness - Ninten (Spiff up Ninten's design a bit and I think we'd be good to go)
Lucas - Earthbound 64 design (You know he looked quite a bit different back in the planning stages of EB6. This may not be the best choice out there though, and I havn't played Mother 3 that much so I don't know if therre's anything better, baring Claus who seem a pallet swap)

Also I forgot to mention that I can't think of anythng good for Diddy. :V

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
Diddy could have Dixie as an alternate. Dixie should be different gameplay-wise but it could still work.

I think that Ryu Suzaku might be a good alternate for Falcon, unless Sakurai didn't want to represent the anime, which is definitely a possibility.

As long as it was going into the realm of characters being alternates, Leon (or maybe Panther) could be an alternate for Wolf.

n88

Smash Lord
Different looks, not movesets.

For example, Dr. Mario (Were he mad into an alt.) would be to Mario as Overalls Wario is to Denim Jacket Wario.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
I hate it when we go into alt costumes because somebody will come up with completely weird alts..... Doc and Mario is a sensible decision. Different game costumes (i.e. SF) is sensible. different characters that are barely even close is no a sensible decision...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am against alternate costumes if they are other characters. For example, Zelda and Sheik should not have Nayru and Din (and especially Gardevoir and Gallade) as alternate costumes. If Zelda and Sheik are going to get alternate costumes, they better be their own alternate costumes. But they have none so they shouldn't get anything.

I would be fine with Peach getting her sports outfit from Mario Tennis or Mario Baseball because she actually wore that. But she still should keep the same moveset. No changing movesets at all.

Mario - Dr. Mario (maybe if Sakurai doesn't think it is weird for Dr. Mario to shoot fireballs)
Peach - sportswear from Mario Tennis or Mario Baseball
Wario - classic overalls from Wario Land series
Link - Ordon Link from Twilight Princess
Toon Link - Outset Link from The Wind Waker (also a trophy in Brawl) and/or the train conductor outfit from Spirit Tracks
Little Mac - classic pink jogging suit from NES and Wii games
Krystal - Command outfit (default) and Adventures loincloth (alternate costume)

That's it. Not everyone needs alternate costumes because if they all have them, most of them won't make sense. For example, whenever someone suggests Dixie Kong as Diddy Kong's alternate costume, do you know what picture shows up in my head? Diddy Kong in drag. Palette swaps are fine if you want Diddy Kong to have Dixie Kong's colors, but not alternate costumes.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
I think there are a few others besides those. For example, Falco could have that Red outfit from Assault. But just the Red or like Wario? Krystal's would probably be like Wario though.

I don't really want Ordon Link.....It looks kinda weird imo....

Also Din and Nayru should be in SSB somehow. Trophy, assist, or alt IN SOME WAY, not like look exactly like them but like colors or outfit or something.... idk...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fine with me as long as that's actually his costume and not other character's costume.

I forgot one more alternate costume. The Pokemon Trainer is obviously Red so it would make sense if the Pokemon Trainer had Red's original costume from Red/Blue/Yellow... though that would mean the three Pokemon would need four more palette swaps to go with Red's original costume.

Edit: Well, let's look at how Nayru and Din look like.

Nayru

Nayrul could work best as a palette swap for Zelda. Just change her blonde hair blue and give her a blue-and-green dress.

Din

Din could work best as a palette swap for Sheik. Simply recolor her blonde hair red and her blue outfit magneta.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Oh and you reminded me with PT, SHINY POKEMON plz, I mean why weren't they in Brawl....?

Oh and if Micaiah got in she should have something similar to Ilyana as an alt. like her colors

Because Charizard's is black, Ivysaur's is green with a yellow bulb, and Squirtle is light blue with a green shell, they are all different colors with no underlying similarity. The pallettes are supposed to represent a color.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We have already have Shiny Squirtle and Shiny Ivysaur... just no Shiny Charizard.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
do they really have to be similar? as long as it's not one of the teams it's fine right? Shiny Chary is the only one I really want.... :/

If you were playing in a large battle with three trainers vs. each other. Green team and shiny team would make distinguishing between anyone but Charizard difficult and annoying.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know Lucario's purple/red palette swap? I thought that palette swap did not look good because I thought it was a bad color combination but I later found out that it was a reference to Toxicroak or Garchomp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom