• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Notice that all of the roles of "The Toad" are either outdated or spinoffs. If spinoffs counted for anything Waluigi would have been in Brawl. "The Yoshi," however, has plenty of recent roles. Also, Yoshis have their own series, and one large enough that it deserves a character- how else are the Yoshi games going to be given a character?
You need to stop looking at this from a "recent" perspective. Smash covers all of Nintendo's history, not just the retro and the recent, but the inbetween as well. The same applies for characters too. While the recent characters may be better known and may be popular, people don't just throw away the old characters like old software.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
You need to stop looking at this from a "recent" perspective. Smash covers all of Nintendo's history, not just the retro and the recent, but the inbetween as well. The same applies for characters too. While the recent characters may be better known and may be popular, people don't just throw away the old characters like old software.
I know they do. I mean that people will associate a playable Toad with the generic race, not with the dead character.

n88

Smash Lord
@KirbyWorshipper

Yeah, some of those are better than others. I think Baby Bros would make a fantastic alt. for the ICs, though. It may seem strange, but it gives Yoshi seres some more rep, and the baby Bros were a small duo who were notable in Partners in Time for using hammers.

Nayru/Din is strange, I'll admit. I just really want Oracle of Ages/Seasons to get some rep in Smash. I loved those games, and they were pretty much the best games you could get on the Game Boy Color.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
@KirbyWorshipper

Yeah, some of those are better than others. I think Baby Bros would make a fantastic alt. for the ICs, though. It may seem strange, but it gives Yoshi seres some more rep, and the baby Bros were a small duo who were notable in Partners in Time for using hammers.
The only tiny problem with that is they come from completely different series.

Granted, while Balloon Fighter 1P & 2P costumes would come from a different game than Ice Climber, it would suit the ICs, since their stage tends to get elements from Balloon Fighter (the music track, the carnivorous fish).

Nayru/Din is strange, I'll admit. I just really want Oracle of Ages/Seasons to get some rep in Smash. I loved those games, and they were pretty much the best games you could get on the Game Boy Color.
It helps that those two games were made by Capcom, so they have a pretty good pedigree.

It would certainly be a unique alternate outfit idea. I wonder if the next Smash poll will allow us to submit ideas for alternate costumes...;)

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
to solidify the argument. did anyone know of mr. game and watch before he came out in melee? he has had no recent games and is in melee and brawl.

PeachRose

Smash Cadet
to solidify the argument. did anyone know of mr. game and watch before he came out in melee? he has had no recent games and is in melee and brawl.
I know I didn't. Also with ROB. I did not know what they had come from, I thought they were just random characters.

n88

Smash Lord
The difference between Toad and those retro cahracters is that Toad is part of an ongoing series. Retro characters are guys w/very few games that are not still being made. Dead characters/Toad (I prefer to think of Toad as in a coma, not dead) are part of an ongoing series which is developing other characters (Rosalina, Bowsr Jr.) over the dead character. Toad no longer has any real significance in his series of origin, and has no spin-offs.

And yes, the next poll better have a place for costumes.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
codfish92 said:
Game and Watch Gallery? Besides, Mr. Game and Watch, as a retro character, breaks every rule in the book. Retro characters shouldn't be used in arguments.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I know they do. I mean that people will associate a playable Toad with the generic race, not with the dead character.
I don't know if people do that or not. To be honest, whenever I play the Mario spinoffs, I think of Toad and Toadette as THE Toad and Toadette. The same goes for Yoshi.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
I don't know if people do that or not. To be honest, whenever I play the Mario spinoffs, I think of Toad and Toadette as THE Toad and Toadette. The same goes for Yoshi.
True, but what I mean is that the generic race of Toads seems more prevalent right now than the Toad character in spinoffs, and so people would be more likely to think "Toads" than "Toad" if they see him playable.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
True, but what I mean is that the generic race of Toads seems more prevalent right now than the Toad character in spinoffs, and so people would be more likely to think "Toads" than "Toad".
I'm still skeptical on this. Unless I see some proof that people see Toad as Toads or both Toad and Toads, I wouldn't say people associate them as a species more than an individual.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
I'm still skeptical on this. Unless I see some proof that people see Toad as Toads or both Toad and Toads, I wouldn't say people associate them as a species more than an individual.
The burden of proof is on you to prove that Toad is a character! I don't think that I'm going to be able to find a poll saying "Do you see Toad as a character?" randomly. Speculation is all there is. However, I'm willing to find a middle ground here. I think Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario are more likely right now, but there is a reasonable chance that Toad will be further revived after NSMB Wii and/or there is no Paper Mario 4, putting Toad over Paper Mario in likelihood.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, it's getting a little confusing. :dizzy:

I'm starting to understand why Toadsworth was created.

On a side note, it'd be amusing if Toadsworth ended up being a part of Peach's neutral B move in SSB4. :laugh:

I was already aware of Mr. Game & Watch's existence before Melee came out. I never expected him to show up, really.

Then again, I already knew about the Ice Climbers and R.O.B. and I didn't expect them to show up either (it was a pleasant surprise, though).

However, I didn't know the existence of Captain Falcon or Ness prior to reading the SSB64 strategy article on Nintendo Power (though I did hear about their respective games). They're cool, too.

Anyway, you never know who's going to show up next in the SSB saga. I don't know if Toad will be playable.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm of the opinion that most people don't really analyze the history of every single potential video game character before they choose to use them in a game. Whenever people say they use Toad in say, Mario Kart, they use "Toad", and not "a Toad", because that's his name in the game. The general public doesn't do a background check.

Also, what's the point of critiquing prediction lists to make them conform to some standard?

Wizzerd, are you quoting the "burden of proof" phrase from a certain argument?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
flyingfilipino said:
Wizzerd, are you quoting the "burden of proof" phrase from a certain argument?
I seem to recall it from the early days of this thread, which I lurked...

...To prevent this message from being spammish, I have an idea. Everybody wants characters to get unique target tests in SSB4, like in Melee. However, seeing as we will have around 45-50 characters, making unique ones would eat up development time. To please people without this problem, how about having characters share target tests? Agile, midair characters with multiple jumps like Kirby and Ridley can share a target test where all the targets are spread apart on different platforms, for example, or slow heaviweights like Bowser and K.Rool can share a compact target test.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

...To prevent this message from being spammish, I have an idea. Everybody wants characters to get unique target tests in SSB4, like in Melee. However, seeing as we will have around 45-50 characters, making unique ones would eat up development time. To please people without this problem, how about having characters share target tests? Agile, midair characters with multiple jumps like Kirby and Ridley can share a target test where all the targets are spread apart on different platforms, for example, or slow heaviweights like Bowser and K.Rool can share a compact target test.
While I do miss the individualized target tests, that's not a bad idea.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Someone mentioned liking Pichu about several pages back, right? We have Pikachu; Smash 4 is better off without Pichu (who by the way stinks worse than King Hippo's shoes (and I apologize to King Hippo)).
Since Pichu had no data in Brawl, I think it's safe to say he's gone for good. The only way I could ever see him returning would be as an alternate costume for Pikachu (since his head, ears, and tail are big enough to reasonably fit inside Pikachu's hitboxes).
Pichu was included in Melee in order to represent the Gold/Silver generation of the Pokemon franchise. That's why it was cut from Brawl, and there were no other Johto Pokemon (even in Pokeballs, excluding legendaries - Togepi is the exception) in noteworthy appearance in the game - G/S was no longer apparent during Brawl's release. Kanto got representation because it is the original, and because of the Firered/Leafgreen remakes, Ruby/Sapphire is in because it was the one generation skipped over between the Smash Bros. releases, and Diamond/Pearl is in because, obviously, it is the current generation of Pokemon games. Johto is the least represented of the four Pokemon regions in Brawl in every way - Pokemon, references, and music.

But now, Heartgold and SoulSilver, the remakes of Gold and Silver, are coming out soon. And since Firered and Leafgreen were represented by the Pokemon Trainer (by the character design - he even has the FR/LG-debuted Vs. Seeker), it can be concluded that Heartgold and Soulsilver will be represented in the 4th Smash.

Pichu still remains as the poster Pokemon of the 2nd generation of games - many updates of HGSS on Japan's Pokemon Sunday had a person in a Pichu costume in order to endorse the games. Also, in an event for HGSS, there is a specific Pichu sprite, appropriately called the Notched-Ear Pichu, that can be acquired. This Pichu cannot be evolved or traded, and is the only Pokemon confirmed so far to have a specific sprite that differentiates from all other Pokemon of the same species, gender specifics included. That alone solidifies that Pichu is the one thing you should remember if you think of Gold and Silver.

So, when SSB4 comes around, I can expect the HGSS games to be represented. And considering the massive attention it has had in the HGSS updates, and the fact that it had an important role in the recent Pokemon movie, just like Lucario did when he showed up (and there is evidence to believe that the Smash Lucario is the same as the movie Lucario), leads me to believe that Pichu could come back as a Smash character in order to promote HGSS, with the Notched-Ear Pichu as either a different costume, or the Pichu character altogether.

tl;dr - Looking at evidence of representation in the Pokemon franchise, and making predictions of future representation, if the Johto Pokemon Trainer doesn't get any rep in SSB4 (which may be unlikely anyway, since the Pokemon precede the trainer in rep in every region, which is why Pikachu got the roster spot for 64 and Melee), being the poster Pokemon for the GS games, Pichu has a chance of coming back for the Smash games.

Bash away.

n88

Smash Lord
Pichu was included in Melee in order to represent the Gold/Silver generation of the Pokemon franchise. That's why it was cut from Brawl, and there were no other Johto Pokemon (even in Pokeballs, excluding legendaries - Togepi is the exception) in noteworthy appearance in the game - G/S was no longer apparent during Brawl's release. Kanto got representation because it is the original, and because of the Firered/Leafgreen remakes, Ruby/Sapphire is in because it was the one generation skipped over between the Smash Bros. releases, and Diamond/Pearl is in because, obviously, it is the current generation of Pokemon games. Johto is the least represented of the four Pokemon regions in Brawl in every way - Pokemon, references, and music.

But now, Heartgold and SoulSilver, the remakes of Gold and Silver, are coming out soon. And since Firered and Leafgreen were represented by the Pokemon Trainer (by the character design - he even has the FR/LG-debuted Vs. Seeker), it can be concluded that Heartgold and Soulsilver will be represented in the 4th Smash.

Pichu still remains as the poster Pokemon of the 2nd generation of games - many updates of HGSS on Japan's Pokemon Sunday had a person in a Pichu costume in order to endorse the games. Also, in an event for HGSS, there is a specific Pichu sprite, appropriately called the Notched-Ear Pichu, that can be acquired. This Pichu cannot be evolved or traded, and is the only Pokemon confirmed so far to have a specific sprite that differentiates from all other Pokemon of the same species, gender specifics included. That alone solidifies that Pichu is the one thing you should remember if you think of Gold and Silver.

So, when SSB4 comes around, I can expect the HGSS games to be represented. And considering the massive attention it has had in the HGSS updates, and the fact that it had an important role in the recent Pokemon movie, just like Lucario did when he showed up (and there is evidence to believe that the Smash Lucario is the same as the movie Lucario), leads me to believe that Pichu could come back as a Smash character in order to promote HGSS, with the Notched-Ear Pichu as either a different costume, or the Pichu character altogether.

tl;dr - Looking at evidence of representation in the Pokemon franchise, and making predictions of future representation, if the Johto Pokemon Trainer doesn't get any rep in SSB4 (which may be unlikely anyway, since the Pokemon precede the trainer in rep in every region, which is why Pikachu got the roster spot for 64 and Melee), being the poster Pokemon for the GS games, Pichu has a chance of coming back for the Smash games.

Bash away.
The only remotely convincing argument for Pichu's return that I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Although there could easily be another set of Pokemon games between HG/SS and SSB4, which would hurt Pichu a bit.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
very well, i will bash

dunno if pichu will be in the next one. your argument makes cents(yes like pennies), but unless pichu is a more unique character, he won't get in. a lot of people, even if they liked pichu, didn't like the fact that he was a copy of pikachu. same with all the clones in melee. they're might however be a johto pokemon, just not pichu.

n88

Smash Lord
very well, i will bash

dunno if pichu will be in the next one. your argument makes cents(yes like pennies), but unless pichu is a more unique character, he won't get in. a lot of people, even if they liked pichu, didn't like the fact that he was a copy of pikachu. same with all the clones in melee. they're might however be a johto pokemon, just not pichu.
Actuallly, I think Pichu has a chance IF there is no character added last-minute (like Sonic)
My logic is this: All the clones in Melee were last-minute additions, and I suspect that Brawl would have had last-minute clones as well, but the time was spent on Sonic rather than the clones. These clones would have been:

Dr. Mario
Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik
Dixie
Roy

But. as I said, these characters aren't in because Sonic is. If there are no last-minute add-in, I expect a Melee-esque roster (A roster really beefed up by excessive clones) for SSB4.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

Indeed, I think I can recall the argument quite well....

Yeah, I can definitely see the large number of characters being the reason that there were only three Target Test stages in Brawl. I like your idea, though I'd like it even better if characters from a certain franchise shared the same Target Test level (decorated accordingly), but the targets were in different strategic locations for each individual character. I don't know exactly how that would work out, but I like the sound of it.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Although there could easily be another set of Pokemon games between HG/SS and SSB4, which would hurt Pichu a bit.
Of course. R/S was deprived of a Smash character, and it was the first set of games released after Melee. It's going to depend on the rate of releases of new Pokemon games between now and SSB4's confirmation and release dates.

dunno if pichu will be in the next one. your argument makes cents(yes like pennies), but unless pichu is a more unique character, he won't get in. a lot of people, even if they liked pichu, didn't like the fact that he was a copy of pikachu. same with all the clones in melee.
The NEP was shown to have a specific moveset in screenshots of it in battle. The moveset includes it's signature Volt Tackle, Swagger, Helping Hand, and the vaguely recognized move Pain Split. These four moves are those that Pikachu cannot learn without evolving from the Pichu, and I think Pain Split may be an exclusive move to the NEP out of all other possible Pichu moveset combinations. I can see the Volt Tackle and Pain Split attacks use for Smash Pichu in order to differentiate it from Pikachu - given Pain Split's unique effect, it could even be used as a way to counter Smash Pichu's ability to take damage from electrical damage.

they're might however be a johto pokemon, just not pichu.
Can you think of another popular Johto Pokemon that can be used as a character?

camden

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Sakurai is too keen on the idea of bringing back a clone. Besides, is Pichu returns to SSB4 and other clones don't, that's bound to piss people off. I personally loved Pichu, and I do agree that assuming the game is released sometime within the next 2-3 years, representation is necessary, if not mandatory. Although, if like Brawl did, it skips an entire generation, they may not bother.

SSB4 will need more Krystal (sp?), King K. Rool, and definitely more third-party characters, considering how much of a success they are.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I can see this working, but I think it may be difficult in some cases to set up the targets so that it's challenging, but other characters of the same type can do it without using an item.

Anyway, I don't think having individual ones would eat up that much development time, at least in comparison to actual stages.

What does everyone think of every character having a home stage? Considering that we had more stages than characters, I think it's something that is possible. Of course, there would be stages that aren't meant to be home stages like Mario Kart, but here are some ideas:

Bowser Jr. - Delfino Plaza
Ridley - Lower Norfair
Krystal - Thorntail Hollow
Mewtwo - Cerulean Cave or Rocket Base
Isaac - Venus Lighthouse
Tom Nook - Smashville

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
In Melee every character had a homestage, and every stage was used (except for the past stages and Big Blue), even if the stage wasn't from the characters series (Young Link = Jungle Japes, Ganondorf = Brinstar Depths, etc.). In Brawl, that really isn't evident, and even though home stages were never really that great anyway, I kind of miss just the idea of them.

I think if you play as a character on their homestage, a special victory theme plays if you win or some other thing that doesn't unbalance gameplay happens.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
i agree with dekuboy, even though i love pokemon, their cries are
A. annoying cuz there's only one of them
B. there's only one of them
C. what deku boy said

love the game, but the cries are a little weird
I got used to them after a while.

Well, it sorta helps that I used to watch the anime series for years. ;)

That said, does anybody expect Lucario to stay in SSB4? Generation-wise, he might become outdated and get the shaft (not that I want that. I don't mind having him around).

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
I got used to them after a while.

Well, it sorta helps that I used to watch the anime series for years. ;)

That said, does anybody expect Lucario to stay in SSB4? Generation-wise, he might become outdated and get the shaft (not that I want that. I don't mind having him around).
I personally believe Lucario should stay.

Also, who would make a great WTF character for Smash 4?

And to camden: WE DO NOT NEED A BILLION THIRD-PARTY CHARACTERS!!!:mad088::mad088:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I personally believe Lucario should stay.

Also, who would make a great WTF character for Smash 4?

And to camden: WE DO NOT NEED A BILLION THIRD-PARTY CHARACTERS!!!:mad088::mad088:
We'd only need a few 3rd parties at most. Megaman, Simon Belmont and Bomberman. Maybe Travis Touchdown, too (though Suda 51 did express interest in seeing him in).

Anyway, here's one WTF character suggestion that hasn't been proposed yet: Mike from the Battle Clash/Metal Combat series (which was made for the Super Scope). He's a giant robot pilot, for those not in the know.

Okay, maybe that's a lousy idea, but it's the best thing that I could think of. Besides Diskun and Sukapon, there isn't anyone else that I can think of that would fit as a WTF character.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
We'd only need a few 3rd parties at most. Megaman, Simon Belmont and Bomberman. Maybe Travis Touchdown.

Anyway, here's one WTF character suggestion that hasn't been proposed yet: Mike from the Battle Clash/Metal Combat series (which was made for the Super Scope). He's a giant robot pilot, for those not in the know.

Okay, maybe that's a lousy idea, but it's the best thing that I could think of. Besides Diskun and Sukapon, there isn't anyone else that I can think of that would fit as a WTF character.
We sure as sugar are better off without Travis Touchdown.

What about Leaf from one of the FE games? Barely anyone remembers who he is.

Maybe not...

Sukapon could be a great candidate, but he's not likely at this moment since Sakurai won't let him in because of "his body structure."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We sure as sugar are better off without Travis Touchdown.

What about Leaf from one of the FE games? Barely anyone remembers who he is.

Maybe not...

Sukapon could be a great candidate, but he's not likely at this moment since Sakurai won't let him in because of "his body structure."
Well, that's too bad, 'cause Travis' dark side mode is just screaming to be used as an FS.

Sakurai may be able to fix Sukapon's kinks by then. I mean, if Rayman can be rendered in 3-D, Sukapon can be too.

Hmm, lessee...

Would Star Man from Pro Wrestling qualify? He's a pink, acrobatic wrestler and we don't have wrestlers yet.

Or maybe The Amazon. He's basically a swamp monster wrestler, for crying out loud.

Or maybe Mach Rider. I don't know to what degree he'd be WTF, but I'm sure that he can pull off a Captain Falcon and get his own moveset on foot.

Well, that's all I got.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Well, that's too bad, 'cause his dark side mode is just screaming to be used as an FS.

Hmm, lessee...

Would Star Man from Pro Wrestling qualify? He's a pink, acrobatic wrestler and we didn't have wrestlers yet.

Or maybe The Amazon. He's basically a swamp monster wrestler, for crying out loud.

Or maybe Mach Rider. I don't know to what degree he'd be WTF, but I'm sure that he can pull off a Captain Falcon and get his own moveset on foot.

Well, that's all I got.
I thought Fawful would be a great WTF fighter, but I heard that WTF fighters have to be both very retro and very obscure to qualify, and Fawful's neither.

Mach Rider sounds good, and the Pro Wrestling characters sound okay, unless those choices in this sentence get a revival.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought Fawful would be a great WTF fighter, but I heard that WTF fighters have to be both very retro and very obscure to qualify, and Fawful's neither.

Mach Rider sounds good, and the Pro Wrestling characters sound okay, unless those choices in this sentence get a revival.
I don't think they'll get a revival any time soon, so they're still retro at the moment. At least, people will become aware of those games' existence thanks to the VC.

That said, Pro Wrestling's famous match-ending quote "A winner is you!" got used in Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's inside story (although this may just be a Woolseyism for the US version).

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
If time-traveling exists, we could go twenty years into the past and have Nintendo create a new game that will have a retro and obscure WTF character for Smash 4, even if the game is bad (cause if only good game characters got in, then the ICs wouldn't have gotten in in the first place). Too bad we can only dream about it...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Toad Brigade, a group of five Toads, debuted in Super Mario Sunshine. They were important supporting characters in that game and in Super Mario Galaxy. In the opening of Super Mario Galaxy, the five Toads are seen carrying Star Bits and a Grand Star. Look closely at the scene...

Blue Toad wearing a blue vest.
Purple Toad wearing a purple vest.
Red Toad wearing a blue vest.
Yellow Toad wearing a yellow vest.
Green Toad wearing a green vest.

It is common knowledge that the red Toad is the leader of the Toad Brigade. So... if the red Toad is the leader and he wears a blue vest, that red Toad must be the same Toad from Super Mario Bros. 2 and spin-off games. So, even though the red Toad wears a red vest in both games, he's still the same Toad from the spin-off games.

Toad is one of the seven Mushroom Retainers from Super Mario Bros... they are the high-ranking Toads who work closely with Peach at her castle. It is even possible that throughout the years the Mushroom Retainers gradually developed into the Toad Brigade.

P.S. The Duck Hunt Dog would be an excellent WTF character. At least he has a body structure that could work, unlike Sukapon and especially Diskun.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If time-traveling exists, we could go twenty years into the past and have Nintendo create a new game that will have a retro and obscure WTF character for Smash 4, even if the game is bad (cause if only good game characters got in, then the ICs wouldn't have gotten in in the first place). Too bad we can only dream about it...
In my opinion, the fact that there are so few ideal candidates for playable NES/Famicom/FDS reps helps to narrow down who will show up next as retro reps.

It helps that some of those games are cult classics, though. :)

That said, I'm not sure if Sheriff (from an obscure arcade game of the same name) would be a good candidate...

P.S. The Duck Hunt Dog would be an excellent WTF character. At least he has a body structure that could work, unlike Sukapon and especially Diskun.
Well, sure. At least people will finally get their wish fulfillment and beat the living snot out of him.

If the SPA doesn't interfere, anyway.

I'm in the belief that Sukapon's body structure physics could work with a bit of effort. If it didn't, then Nintendo would have never bothered making Mecha Joy Fight in the first place. That game has the pedigree of being their very first fighting game, you know.

Besides, their next console might get the horsepower to make this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom