• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Some real expensive costumes should also change stats.
An expensive costume could make one character heavy but also make the wearer more powerful.
This reminds me of Soul Calibur. I don't think it should work this way in Smash. You're going to have people who want the costume because they think it looks good, not for its stats.

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
Oh god...if that kind of thing happened...we would have to be worrying about stat bonuses and stuff...sounds to much like Pokemon. XD
Its already like that for stickers. You just don't see stats.
Speaking of stats, characters should display them.
Mario being something completely balanced all around.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
People play characters because they are fun, not because of their backstory. People liked Roy because how he played. The same is true of Ike. I bet most people who play Ike don't know who he is, but they'd be sore if he left. Sakurai knew people liked Roy and tried to add him back. I wouldn't doubt that him (and Mewtwo) make a return next time.
Then its pointless to add Roy. All that's needed is someone who plays like Roy. At the very least with Mewtwo, people want him back in for his status in Pokemon, and the nostalgia of facing him back then, but with Roy there's really nothing. As you said, just add in someone who plays like him, and there's really no difference. :ohwell:

You should know by now that "new to the table" isn't what adds characters. Just because it's new doesn't mean people will find it fun.
I wouldn't see why not. Doing the same thing, and having the same type of FE character gets boring after it done over and over again, so something new and fresh is needed.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
I had the idea of different colored costumes having advantages and disadvantages a long time ago. I didn't think about it not working online (thats a good idea) but I also had the idea of it not working on Team Battle (people would be arguing about what team color to be and stuff)

Jerome

Smash Apprentice
I had the idea of different colored costumes having advantages and disadvantages a long time ago. I didn't think about it not working online (thats a good idea) but I also had the idea of it not working on Team Battle (people would be arguing about what team color to be and stuff)
The costumes that gives you advantages can only be used when you are fighting royale not team battle.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
The costumes that gives you advantages can only be used when you are fighting royale not team battle.
I had the idea of different colored costumes having advantages and disadvantages a long time ago. I didn't think about it not working online (thats a good idea)but I also had the idea of it not working on Team Battle (people would be arguing about what team color to be and stuff)
Plus, it has to have its disadvantages (I wrote advantages and disadvantages for everyones palette swap)

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
I played melee as young link. andn I think that young link should return in SSB4.his moveset seems a tad different from link. young link uses multi stab, kicks (more thqan link) and more gravity to his fire arrows. young link should come in with the same stats from melee.

stats spelled backwards is stats :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In a sense, he's in a similar boat as Ridley: Neither of them have actually been attempted. I doubt that it would be hard to work with his body structure. I mean, look at Rayman.
I agree with you on that point. How hard can it be to animate and program a limb-less character (if you're not a beginner, anyway)?

I hope SSB4 will be called Super Smash Brothers Rumble! That seems pretty cool.

You no what they should change, for SSB4? they should change the way you can get certain prizes!
How about a Smash Store? You can buy trophys, music, alt. costumes for characters...

This is from left field but since SSB4 will probably be released on the Wii 2, I would like to see the Wii 2 have a 6 player option. 4 player is getting a bit old...
I prefer "Super Smash Brothers Showdown" myself, but Rumble sounds cool. As long as the announcer yells the title next time.

The Smash Store actually sounds like a pretty interesting idea. It would be a nice change of pace from hap-hazardly getting trophies and stickers in luck-based bonus games.

A 6-player option? Sure, why not? I always wanted to see even bigger fistfights between the Mario gang and their spin-off friends. ;)

Speaking of stats, characters should display them.
Mario being something completely balanced all around.
That would be handy. It would save guide-writers the trouble of having to guess them (see: Prima's strategy guide for Brawl).

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Its very unlikely that Young Link will show up again, especailly with Toon Link around. Heck, it could be said they the two are the same thing really. But in terms of the design, Toon Link is still being used (see Spirit Tracks) while Young Link probably won't be reused.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
I thought toonlink was a parralell version of link. anyway, we need yountg link. he was perfect! his final smash would be fierce diety link.

megaton hammer should be an item! it would be instant Ko, lots of lag before attack, and you movbe extremly slow. even King dedede would have a hard time carrying it.

I predict that a super mario galaxy stage will be in SSB4. where is Bowser's castle? I want a bowsers castle. I made a custom stage of it. I don't see how hard a bowser castle would be!

I also want gooper blooper to be an assist trophy

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know if anyone thinks this is a good idea, but I think that the trophy entries should be expanded so that the players would be able to access their entire gameography. Basically, a list of all the games that they appeared in (cameos included).

Or, maybe, each playable character should get an unlockable gallery of the covers of all the games that they were featured in (re-releases included). Japan-only games would be included, too.

So, how about that?

PeachRose

Smash Cadet
I thought toonlink was a parralell version of link. anyway, we need yountg link. he was perfect! his final smash would be fierce diety link.

megaton hammer should be an item! it would be instant Ko, lots of lag before attack, and you movbe extremly slow. even King dedede would have a hard time carrying it.

I predict that a super mario galaxy stage will be in SSB4. where is Bowser's castle? I want a bowsers castle. I made a custom stage of it. I don't see how hard a bowser castle would be!

I also want gooper blooper to be an assist trophy
No not a parallel version, but its a Link from a different game. I think Wind Waker?

I totally agree on the mario galaxy stage. Very good prediction. Also they should have put a Bowser's Castle stage in melee to begin with.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@MR

There's still no real justification though. Toon Link basically has all of Young Link's old moves, and was almost a complete replacement outside of visuals. While Toon Link should be decloned to seperate him farther from regular Link, that doesn't mean a third Link should be added. Plus, the only justification you're giving is that you'd want Firece Diety Link, in which case, couldn't you just have that as a alt-costume of sorts for Link? Yes, certain mechanics from FDL would be lost, but that doesn't justify adding in Young Link again.

We also don't really need a new hammer.

(A Galaxy and a Bowser's Castle stage are a must though. There's almost no way that a Galaxy stage doesn't get in next time, though I am a bit less confident about Bowser's Castle)

@ KW

I like the box art idea, though in the case of Mario, it'd get a bit extreme. Same woud technically go for the trophy thing, which I'd be okay with adding in. (Though if I had to choose between those two things, I'd take the box art gallery)

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
@MR

There's still no real justification though. Toon Link basically has all of Young Link's old moves, and was almost a complete replacement outside of visuals. While Toon Link should be decloned to seperate him farther from regular Link, that doesn't mean a third Link should be added. Plus, the only justification you're giving is that you'd want Firece Diety Link, in which case, couldn't you just have that as a alt-costume of sorts for Link? Yes, certain mechanics from FDL would be lost, but that doesn't justify adding in Young Link again.

We also don't really need a new hammer.

(A Galaxy and a Bowser's Castle stage are a must though. There's almost no way that a Galaxy stage doesn't get in next time, though I am a bit less confident about Bowser's Castle)

@ KW

I like the box art idea, though in the case of Mario, it'd get a bit extreme. Same woud technically go for the trophy thing, which I'd be okay with adding in. (Though if I had to choose between those two things, I'd take the box art gallery)
Toonlink doesn't have multi stab attack or double kick like young link did. I don't really care anbout firece diety link. I would have made it ocarina of time instead.

n88

Smash Lord
Toonlink doesn't have multi stab attack or double kick like young link did. I don't really care anbout firece diety link. I would have made it ocarina of time instead.
Toon Link beats Young Link because he's more differentiated from normal Link. If a third link were to be added, it would probably be Wolf Link, not Young Link. Of course, both have very low chances.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, Wolf Link's probably not going to get in either, since TP probably won't have much focus in SSB4 (instead going to ST and the new Wii Zelda game)

The one thing I would love to see in regarding Young Link though is him but only with mask transformations, aka Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link. This too is unlikely given that MM is even older now, but it still woud have been awesome. (Really though, just cut Young Link out of the equation entirely there, and just have them as a three man team like PT, instead of going for a four man team with YL)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People play characters because they are fun, not because of their backstory. People liked Roy because how he played. The same is true of Ike. I bet most people who play Ike don't know who he is, but they'd be sore if he left. Sakurai knew people liked Roy and tried to add him back. I wouldn't doubt that him (and Mewtwo) make a return next time.
Yeah, if most people had played Fire Emblem: the Binding Blade, they would have probably hated his guts. :laugh: Worst... Lord... Ever.

n88

Smash Lord
What do people think about adding sub-bosses to the SSE? Something a tad more powerful than Greaps and the like, but not as strong as the regular Bosses. For instance, characters like:

King Boo
Various one-time villains from Legend of Zelda could work. Aganhim, Veran, and Bellum come to mind immediately
Some SpaceAnimal in an Arwing
Bulborbs

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What do people think about adding sub-bosses to the SSE? Something a tad more powerful than Greaps and the like, but not as strong as the regular Bosses. For instance, characters like:

King Boo
Various one-time villains from Legend of Zelda could work. Aganhim, Veran, and Bellum come to mind immediately
Bulborbs
Well, that could work. Here are some examples that I thought of:

Kirby minibosses (e.g. Frosty the walrus, Bonkers, Cook Kawasaki).
Former Mario bosses like Mouser, Boom Boom and the Koopa Kids.
Metal Sonic
Some of the minor F-Zero villains (e.g. Zoda).

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

King Boo
Bulborbs
That would be neat, kind of like mini-bosses I guess. I think it would fit if they had as much (or nearly as much) HP as regular bosses, but had more free motion like Greaps, and had a few small attacks.

And about Roy... we are bound to see a future Fire Emblem game introducing a new Lord, and if the lord is unique (meaning it doesn't have blue hair) enough and pretty popular, it will most likely appear instead of Roy. However, if that is not the case, Roy has the best chances of returning, but his chances seem low compared to a new Fire Emblem Lord.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
explosions. SSB4 should have more explosions. like a lot more. like a character that uses only explosions. more explosions than snake with smartbombs, bomb-ombs, gooey bombs, proximity mines(the item not the attack), explosive boxs, and cracker launchers on high. yeah, that much explosions.

and also, any speculation on if SSB tradition will continue of only releasing one SSB on every console? i haven't even heard ideas of next gens(for any system), which they usually surface about 2-3 years after the debut.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
explosions. SSB4 should have more explosions. like a lot more. like a character that uses only explosions. more explosions than snake with smartbombs, bomb-ombs, gooey bombs, proximity mines(the item not the attack), explosive boxs, and cracker launchers on high. yeah, that much explosions.
Try to give Michael Bay a call and see if he's not busy. :p;)

and also, any speculation on if SSB tradition will continue of only releasing one SSB on every console? i haven't even heard ideas of next gens(for any system), which they usually surface about 2-3 years after the debut.
It's likely that Nintendo will keep following that tradition, as it seems that SSB has fallen into the groove. Since Brawl was originally planned to be one of the Wii's launch titles, there is a chance that will be the case for SSB4 on the next console (which may appear in 2012 or so, if we follow the console era pattern).

It helps that 2009 is nearly over, though. :)

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
here is my SSB4 rostter
__________________--
Mario
Luigi
Peach (B move changed to heart)
Daisy (she will have different moves since she will have striker outfit)
Toad (has the longest history with mario, besides DK and luigi)
Bowser
Paper mario (only idiots can call paper mario a clone.)
Hammer bro (he has moveset potential. hammer, boomerang, and fire.)

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. rool ( we need the antoganist for DK. plus, King K' rool vs Bowser would be epic)

Yoshi
Baby mario bros. (they will match against ice climbers. and their moveset is easy for me to make.)

Wario
Ashley ( she could use magic. and making a final smash would be easy.
Kat & Ana (sword useers, females, and a duo.)

Link
Zelda/Shiek
Gannondorf
Toon link
Toon zelda/Tetra

Samus/ZZS
Ice climbers
Pit
R.O.B
little mac

Kirby
Metaknight
King dedede
Gooey (his moves would be different from copy abilities he could use in Kirby dreamland 3)

Captain Olimar

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

Captain Falcon

Pikachu
Pokemon trainer
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Mewtwo
Plusle and Minun (I will think of a moveset.)

Marth
Ike
Roy

Ness
Lucas

Mr. Game & watch

Snake
Sonic
Bomberman

This is my character roster. if you doubt anyone (besides plusle & minun, Toon zelda/tetra,) I'll give more reason, and a moveset.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
Try to give Michael Bay a call and see if he's not busy. :p;)
i already called him, he said he was busy and that he wasn't interested in something that was only 95% explosions. perhaps a bribe will work????

and what will be the next gen? i mean unless Nintendo makes a "project natal", i have no idea what the next step for consoles is gonna be for Nintendo.

justaway12

Smash Master
here is my SSB4 rostter
__________________--
Mario
Luigi
Peach (B move changed to heart)
Daisy (she will have different moves since she will have striker outfit)
Toad (has the longest history with mario, besides DK and luigi)
Bowser
Paper mario (only idiots can call paper mario a clone.)
Hammer bro (he has moveset potential. hammer, boomerang, and fire.)

Aren't there a bit too much Mario.
I love Mario more than any other video game seris, but I think is a bit much.

Daisy has only been important in one game as the damsel-in-distress, the rest were only spin-offs games.

Toad is somewhat generic you have to agree, but maybe.

I don't think anybody thinks Paper Mario IS a clone, but people are saying he has potental to be clone. Toon Link could have been so much more unique, same with ganondorf, but they ended up as clones.

And Hammer Bro was never that important, he was extremly generic and not that popular.

I would think Bowser jr. has a chance since he is a recuring (sp?) villian and someewhat important.

That is only my 2 cents, do what you want with it :).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
i already called him, he said he was busy and that he wasn't interested in something that was only 95% explosions. perhaps a bribe will work???
I was actually joking. :urg: It's a bit unreasonable to expect more explosions in SSB4, given the other things that people are hoping to see in that.

and what will be the next gen? i mean unless Nintendo makes a "project natal", i have no idea what the next step for consoles is gonna be for Nintendo.
Who knows? Only time will tell.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
here are characters who will need alternate costumes or special colors

mario ( dr. mario, striker, bee mario)
luigi ( striker, bee luigi)
Peach ( sports, striker,)
Bowser (striker)DK (funky kong, striker)

DK (striker)
Diddy kong (Striker)

Yoshi (boshi, striker)

wario (vampire, striker)

link (OOT)
Ganondorf (purple from melee)
Toonlink (outset)

samus (dark samus)

meta knight (galacta knight)

olimar (louie)

Fox (James mccloud, marcus mccloud)

Captain falcon (a better bloodfalcon)

snake: (old snake, naked snake)

Sonic (shadow, Silver)

these are the costume desgns, and colors.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman

Aren't there a bit too much Mario.
I love Mario more than any other video game seris, but I think is a bit much.

Daisy has only been important in one game as the damsel-in-distress, the rest were only spin-offs games.

Toad is somewhat generic you have to agree, but maybe.

I don't think anybody thinks Paper Mario IS a clone, but people are saying he has potental to be clone. Toon Link could have been so much more unique, same with ganondorf, but they ended up as clones.

And Hammer Bro was never that important, he was extremly generic and not that popular.

I would think Bowser jr. has a chance since he is a recuring (sp?) villian and someewhat important.

That is only my 2 cents, do what you want with it :).
Luigi actually has someone. and if luigi gets some respect, he could have a cannon game with daisy.

yoshi, pikachu, pokemons, jigglypuff, and lucario are also generic. but their playable.

was jigglypuff important to pokemon? jigglypuff did have moveset potential.

I'll buy a candy bar with your 2 cents

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Justaway is kind of right. Daisy should just stay as a alternate color for Peach, instead of showing up in a strikers uniform in order for you to ship LuigixDaisy. Plus, the better character to represent the sports aspect of the Mario franchise is Waluigi, and he shouldn't be in anyways.

The Pokemon may be generic, but they are Pokemon. Its their thing. The Yoshi who is in Smash is most likely "the" Yoshi from the Yoshi's Island games (rather than the Yoshi who showed up in SMW or the Mario Sports games) and is somewhat unique. In either way, he got his own game, rather than Toad, who just had Wario Woods, if you can even count that. While Toad may have had a stand out pressence back in SMB2, that was only SMB2, that was only because they needed a 4th character to fill in for the 4th character of Doki Doki Panic.

And as I've said with Hammer Bro, he's just a generic enemy with no real role. At least with Jigglypuff, she was important in the anime at the time of the original Smash, but as of yet, the Hammer Brother has had very few, and very unimportant roles. Additionally, a Goomba, Koopa Troopa, or Shy Guy would make much better generic Mario enemies to use, since they are a lot more recognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom