• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Also, about Nintendo/Twitter, has anyone thought that we really don't know that NOA set up the account? I could be wrong, but I never saw any reference of NOA on the page... It could just be a group of fans, but I could be wrong...
It is way too witty and well put together to simply be a group of fans, believe me. The Retro thing was obvious looking back, this looks and sounds more legit.

n88

Smash Lord
@ffdgh

TExture hacking is not the same, and it did not make all of those possible. I'm talking about different models, not textures. Sure there are Young Link textures for Toon Link, but it lacks something. At any rate, the game should include stuff like this, the community shouldn't need to hack it in.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
they put marth and roy into melee and look how fire emblem moved to america

they can use the next ssb to increase her popularity to the point she.....get into the next main game
Ok honestly, don't get your hopes up for Daisy. It won't happen. However, if we get alt. costumes instead of just recolors, you can probably expect a Daisy alt. for Peach.

And don't even compare Daisy to Marth and Roy. Marth and Roy were from a VERY popular Japanese only series that Sakurai felt should get some representation because of their popularity and diversity of games. Now Daisy is from a franchise already represented in the game, and this franchise could use other characters, WAY more popular and deserving than Daisy.

Sakurai isn't just going to say "Oh, maybe I should put Daisy in because it will make her more popular!" Because you can say that about virtually any Nintendo character.

Again, don't get your hopes up. It won't happen.

justaway12

Smash Master
It is way too witty and well put together to simply be a group of fans, believe me. The Retro thing was obvious looking back, this looks and sounds more legit.
I'm sorry :(

Professor Layton said:
we Had A Wonderful Discussion Over Supper About People Reading Too Much Into Things. Not That There's Anything Wrong With That, Of Course.
ign said:
before You Get Too Excited, Though, Calm Yourself And Re-lower Your Expectations. It Seems That It's Nothing More Than A Gag, And Not A Real Confirmation Of His Addition To The Fighting Series' Roster Or A New Smash Bros. Game In Development.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol anything is possible XD
and point taken on marth/roy
sakurai put doc in lol but i suppose that's not a good example

n88

Smash Lord
Daisy has close to zero chance. There's too many candidates for a new Mario spot:

Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
Fawful
Geno
Rosalina
Toad
Daisy
Waluigi
Birdo
Dry Bones
Dr. Mario

(in no particular order)

Daisy is easily beaten by 4-5 people on that list.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
meh i know
her voice would be like mkwii........****ing annoying

more than anything we need a female since they add 1 or 2 each installment (3 if you count nana)

rosa......YES
that or REAL ALT FOR PEACH WITH EVER DETAIL and not a simple recolor

n88

Smash Lord
We don't need a female. We need good characters. If those characters happen to be female, that's just dandy, but adding characters because of their gender is stupid.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Daisy has close to zero chance. There's too many candidates for a new Mario spot:

Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
Fawful
Geno
Rosalina
Toad
Daisy
Waluigi
Birdo
Dry Bones
Dr. Mario

(in no particular order)

Daisy is easily beaten by 4-5 people on that list.

I'll put that in a particular order...

Bowser Jr.
Toad
Paper Mario
Geno
Fawful
Rosalina
Birdo
Dr. Mario
Daisy
Waluigi
Dry Bones

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
nah heck a female from fire embelm would be great
basically we need a new wtf character

g and w was melee's
rob? was brawls
whose our next contender?

put birdo at the bottom of list or the new wtf character XD

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
nah heck a female from fire embelm would be great
basically we need a new wtf character

g and w was melee's
rob? was brawls
whose our next contender?

put birdo at the bottom of list or the new wtf character XD
WTF characters are usually retro...

But here is something people don't understand about WTF characters; Sakurai actually never ment for them to be WTF characters, he just put them in not knowing they're obscurity or how unexpected they were, so you can't really say "we need another what the **** character" and start hoping for completely obscure characters that virtually don't have a chance just because they're WTF characters. They still have to make sense.

I always thought Sukapon would make a good WTF character, Sakurai shows interest in his game slightly, but he has admitted that Sukapon wouldn't make a good fighter due to his "strange body structure".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've been saying this since Brawl was pseudo announced in 2005 but Daisy isn't worth a character slot. I used to argue that it was mainly because of her overall significance but now that the playing field has changed I can just as easily fall back on my second main arguement, she really doesn't offer anything. She's a clean slate but that's definately a bad thing if you're part of an established franchise and Mario's the most established franchise in gaming.

As I pointed out in another post, the number of clean slates added into each game is very few and far between. The ones that have been added so far are Fox, Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, and ROB. Just from looking at this list for about a minute or two, what are the things they have in common? Well, for starters, they are all the stars of their own franchises. Another thing that they have in common is that, before their preimeires in Smash, they each only had one or two games under their belts. Since Super Mario Land's release, Daisy has been in close to 30 and is STILL a clean slate. That, my friends, is what we call a "filler" character. Basically this is someone who's only purpose is to give the player more characters to play as. They almost never appear in canon games *points at Waluigi too* and the only thing that usually makes them unique from other characters is their personality.

Seriously, you might as well go curl up in a corner and cry yourself to sleep if minor characters like Birdo, Petey Pirhanna, and Toad have more creditentials and material to work with than you do. So, in the end, she offers close to nothing, has already been an ALT in two smash games, and gets beat out by some of the franchise's most minor characters. You can argue all you want that I can't say what Sakurai will and won't choose but, honestly, this whole case speaks for itself. He picks characters he believes will hold not only the player's attention but his as well (since he makes all the movesets and movements himself after all. He has shown that he's willing to build characters from the ground up but in little amount AND they always follow the standards I've already mentioned.

Add in: Oh and the Mario franchise will probably get 1 (two if they're lucky) additions in the next game so I think it would be ill advised to waste it on someone who doesn't even have that much fan demand ontop of everything else I mentioned.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
nah i mean someone good and viable
idk who tho....
I really don't hink we need another WTF character. Sakurai never met for G&W or ROB to be WTF characters anyway, they just turned out that way. But, we did get two retro characters per game, so I guess we can expect two more. One of them doesn't have to be WTF by the way.

n88

Smash Lord
I'm not sure there's another character that rivals GaW and ROB in terms of WTF-ness.
Sakurai's going to have to be really crafty to surprise people. Brawl's been out for a little over a year and we've already filled up 1300 pages of speculation.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I think Game and Watch was more WTF than R.O.B.
Yes, but R.O.B. was still a WTF character, he's Brawls WTF character. But remember, they were never intended to be WTF in the first place.

lol true so who are the candidates for it
Well, we can't say who the candidates for the WTF spot are, because thats the whole point of WTF in the first place, being surprised. But we can't say there will be a WTF character anyway, like I've stated numerous times.

However, it is safe to assume that we will be getting another retro instead of a WTF, considering that each of the WTFs are actually retro. In melee we got two retros, in brawl we got two retros, its safe to assume we'll get two retros in SSB4.

I DO NOT want to get in another Balloon Fighter vs. Little Mac debate, so please don't start a flame war over this. Here are some candidates...

I've divided them into pairs, I'll explain why for each of them:

1.) LITTLE MAC/BALLOON FIGHTER ~ The two most likely retro candidates, but I can only see one of them making it in. Little Mac's chances are probably a bit better than Balloon Fighter's.

2.) EXCITE BIKER/URBAN CHAMPION/BUBBLES ~ Right now, you're probably thinking "WTF"? Honestly, I don't think these guys have a chance. But, they were all candidates for Melee's retro character along with Ice Climber, so Sakurai has obviously considered them. They would be good WTF characters, I just don't think it will happen. They just seem worthy of mention.

3.) TAKAMARU ~ Japan only, and a Japan only could be a great replacement for a WTF character. He's the most popular Japanese only and Sakurai has shown interest in him.

4.) SUKAPON ~ Sukapon is also Japan only, but Sakurai has shown interest in him. However, he's also mentioned that "he has a strange body structure and wouldn't make a god fighter".

5.) DEMIRU ~ A Japan only character from a game I am really not familiar with at all. However, Sakurai likes the game (Tomato Adventure) for its obscurity and says he would love to see Demiru fight. A moveset was even designed for him... a great WTF character.

Also note that We could see both Little Mac and Balloon Fighter since they are the most likely, we don't really nee a WTF character. But we could also see some combinations like this:

Retro/Retro (Little Mac/Balloon Fighter)
Retro/WTF (Little Mac or Balloon Fighter/Excite Biker, Urban Champion, or Bubbles)
Retro/Japanese only (Little Mac or Balloon Fighter/Takamaru, Sukapon, or Demiru)

No matter what, I'm sure we'll at least see Little Mac or Ballon Fighter (possibly both) in SSB4. They could also be paired up with the international WTF characters (Excite Biker, Urban Champion, or Bubbles) or a Japanese only character. I don't see the international WTF characters part happening though...

Tacel

Smash Lord
Yes, and it's Sakurai... so it will be an awesomely awesome surprise.
Yes, but R.O.B. was still a WTF character, he's Brawls WTF character. But remember, they were never intended to be WTF in the first place.
Yeah, I know he's still a WTF character. I was just saying not as much as Game andWatch was.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I really don't hink we need another WTF character. Sakurai never met for G&W or ROB to be WTF characters anyway, they just turned out that way. But, we did get two retro characters per game, so I guess we can expect two more. One of them doesn't have to be WTF by the way.
Well, as far as retro first/second party characters go, the ones that Sakurai has expressed interest in are:

1. Muddy Mole
2. Takamaru
3. Balloon Fighter
4. Lolo

... wow, I thought I'd be able to get up to at least six but Little Mac has made a comeback and he's already given the thumbs down to Sukapon twice. Huh... I guess Sakurai will have to dig really deep to surprize us this time around but, then again, Muddy, Takamaru, and Lolo are virtually unknown by most people aside from Nintendo nerds like me. :psycho:

Tacel

Smash Lord
I would loooove to see Wart in Smash 4.
Wart and Waluigi.
And Baby Bowser/Shadow Mario

n88

Smash Lord
Most likely, toon Zelda's transformation would be Tetra, not Toon Sheik, and Waluigi should stay far away from the character select screen.

n88

Smash Lord
It's been posted many a time. Probably just NIntendo getting publicity for Layton and hyping for SSB4 at the same time. Two birds, one stone deal. Interesting, but might not amount to anything.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For the DK franchise, the last remaining prospects are Dixie and King K. Rool. Both offer a decent amount of material to work with but I'd personally go with K. Rool for a few reasons. If I were Sakurai, I'd do this because Diddy already fills the side kick spot for the franchise well enough, King K. Rool has been in more games, and good villians/heavy characters are hard to come by as it is. Honestly, when it comes to significant Nintendo villians that would be reasonable in smash, K. Rool and Ridley are pretty much the only ones left who aren't obscure or pretty much clean slates (like Black Shadow from F-Zero).

Speaking of Black Shadow, does anyone have any good F-Zero suggestions? Black Shadow would pretty much be doomed to being a Ganondorf clone at best and Samurai Goroh has nothing to work with aside from his sword. In a way, everybody in F-Zero is a clean slate. With this being said, do you guys think that F-Zero even needs another rep?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Black Shadow has nothing to work with outside of possibly being a clone, and by that logic, Goroh could be a clone of another swordsman. Still, Goroh could use a katana based moveset, as well as sumo, which he was implied to know in GX. In addition, they could use some of the moves that he used in the F-Zero anime, if needed.

n88

Smash Lord
I would like to see Black Shadow take Ganondorf's current move set and CF's Final Smash. (CF should get that massive Falcon Punnch that cracks planets in half). That way, no-one could whine about Ganondorf having a new moveset.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Speaking of Black Shadow, does anyone have any good F-Zero suggestions? Black Shadow would pretty much be doomed to being a Ganondorf clone at best and Samurai Goroh has nothing to work with aside from his sword. In a way, everybody in F-Zero is a clean slate. With this being said, do you guys think that F-Zero even needs another rep?
Aside from Goroh, there's Jody, Dr. Stewart, and Pico. Jody and Black Shadow could have cat based and bull based moves respectively.

I'm not sure if F-Zero needs another character, but it should have another simply because it's been around this whole time without a new character. Anyway, aside from being a villain, Black Shadow also has the mighty voice of Norio Wakamoto (ARU HEIRU BURITANIA!!!!!!!!)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You know Wakamoto's voice would be dubbed over for the western release right? We might get half-wimpy voice from GX then. :p
Let's hope that they do a bilingual release then. I don't know why they didn't do it again for Brawl.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
An F-Zero rep is probably more likely than we may think, but I wouldn't bet on it. If there was one, however, it would be Samurai Goroh. He appeared in Melee's opening movie as a cameo and is an Asisst trophy, so obviously Sakurai has been paying attention to him a bit more.

His moveset would be unique, I picture it somewhat like captain falcon's with the addition of the katanas and just more unique from captain falcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom