• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I can't wait til Smash 4 is announced that way I will spam Sakurai's journal with entries regarding an unwanted, obscure character, and make the West think that character is actually popular.

I have better things to be doing than arguing how a stupid piece of wood won't be getting into Smash Bros.

GENO IS NOT GETTING IN!

You can live in la la land for all you like, but that is the truth.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I can't wait til Smash 4 is announced that way I will spam Sakurai's journal with entries regarding an unwanted, obscure character, and make the West think that character is actually popular.

I have better things to be doing than arguing how a stupid piece of wood won't be getting into Smash Bros.

GENO IS NOT GETTING IN!

You can live in la la land for all you like, but that is the truth.
Jeez, at least Fatman can be calm about it. Although I do agree with you, Geno's chances of getting in are pretty low, but I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, you never know.

And Fatman, maybe you haven't noticed my question yet, I just want your opinion on this. I'll quote myself and post it here...

Fatman, I just wanted to know, out of the Balloon Fighter and Mac, who do you think Sakurai would choose for the new retro character?

Sakurai obviously bases most of his choices on the originality and unique qualities of the character, and not as much on popularity. So if this was the case, I believe Sakurai would choose the Balloon Fighter. He is much more unique than Little Mac, and is the next on the list for Sakurai's retro characters. Plus, along with Pit and Ice Climbers, he stars in one of Sakurai's favorite NES games.

Punch-Out!! is one of Sakurai's favorites too, but it isn't getting noticed as much as Balloon Fighter, even though there is a new game. So, what do you think?

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
@Pieman0920: That's one of the main reasons why I chose to stop the Geno talk, actually. I must say that I like some of the responses concerning him, though. Honestly, it's refreshing seeing sensible, rational folks discuss his chances rather than spew random hate. Anyway, moving on.

I think it should in the form of Samurai Goroh. Of course that means that a pottential katana moveset would go to him, instead of Takamaru, so I'm not sure how much you'd like that.
I've mentioned before that Takamaru would probably use his sheathe more than his sword while fighting. I'd picture him being more of a "drawing of sword" (Iaijutsu) type as opposed to Goroh, who just flails his sword around without any foreknowledge. Both are interesting, though.

Most don't. Some do. I'm in the camp that he isn't too big, and can be resized because....well he really can. Look at Bowser for instance, and how large he is in Sunshine. He's almost Kraid size really.
Very good, and true.

Also note his size in the original Metroid title. He can very well be re-sized, I agree.

Baby Bros is the most likely as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think they'll get in anyways. Kamek is just a generic Magikoopa who's name had a translation flub coming over to the US, and made people think he was a seperate character.
To his credit though, he has appeared in a few major titles, such as Super Mario Galaxy. Still, yes, I'm not sure about him.

I do like the fact that he's a wizard, but I'm still holding out for Black Mage to fulfill that role in Smash Bros. Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Black Mage? Think he has a shot at appearing?

I noticed Takamaru was brought up a while back and I have something to say about that. Scooby, you said that Takamaru is the only retro character Sakurai hasn't included yet, and you also said that Sakurai has shown a lot more interest in him. Both of these statements are completely FALSE.

There are many more retro characters that are way more deserving than Takamaru, I'm not sure why you think he's the only one who hasn't been included. :ohwell: He is Japanese only, and there are several international retro characters that are more deserving.
Wrong choice of words on my part. I'm aware that there are a few others out there (I think I stated as much in my original post), such as Lil Mac and, to a certain degree, Sukapon. Both of which I support. It's just... I'm positive they'll end up in Smash Bros. eventually while Takamaru's chances are a bit more unclear. He has the whole "under-dog" thing going for him, which I like.

And I believe Fatmanonice mentioned that Sakurai really enjoyed Nazo no Murasamejō, even stating that it's one of his favorite games. He also mentioned that if Takamaru appeared in another game, he'd highly consider adding him. Pretty sure that equates to showing interest in Takamaru, which you claim Sakurai has shown NONE to.

And please, don't bring up the "more deserving" talk. I hate it so much. :laugh:

Now if Ice Climbers were the retro characters for Melee, and Pit for Brawl, the next on the list is Balloon Fighter, whom Sakurai has stated is one of his favorite retro game characters. Balloon Fighter is the most likely choice for an SSB4 retro character. Next on the list is Mach Rider (which I personally don't think will happen) and Little Mac, considering Sakurai also enjoys the Punch-Out!! series and has commented on it before.
Lil Mac is a given, but do you honestly believe Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider will make it in as playable characters? I'm not saying they don't have any chances, but really, I think they're in AT territory. Imo, of course.

Just showing that Takamaru really has no chances, I wouldn't count on him being playable or even represented any more than he is in Brawl, with just a small song.
You like to exaggerate a lot huh? lol

And as Pieman0920 stated, his chances are like that of a standard retro character, albeit a tad lower. I'm holding out for the young samurai. =]

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Pieman0920: That's one of the main reasons why I chose to stop the Geno talk, actually. I must say that I like some of the responses concerning him, though. Honestly, it's refreshing seeing sensible, rational folks discuss his chances rather than spew random hate. Anyway, moving on.
Huh? You don't think something rational with my reasoning? What's the problem? And as I said before, I don't hate Geno. He was my favorite character in SMRPG. That doesn't stop me from knowing that he won't get in though.

To his credit though, he has appeared in a few major titles, such as Super Mario Galaxy. Still, yes, I'm not sure about him.

I do like the fact that he's a wizard, but I'm still holding out for Black Mage to fulfill that role in Smash Bros. Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Black Mage? Think he has a shot at appearing?
He didn't show up in Galaxy. That was just a random magikoopa....well then maybe it could have been him, but that's only if you think that there's a single goomba that has shown up in every Mario game. Plus, there was a special boss magikoopa in that game, and it wasn't Kamek.

And I don't think a Black Mage will show up, since I don't think SE will team up in the first place. Even so, I think that a Chocobo would be good, or a Slime.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
1.) Wrong choice of words on my part. I'm aware that there are a few others out there (I think I stated as much in my original post), such as Lil Mac and, to a certain degree, Sukapon. Both of which I support. It's just... I'm positive they'll end up in Smash Bros. eventually while Takamaru's chances are a bit more unclear. He has the whole "under-dog" thing going for him, which I like.

And I believe Fatmanonice mentioned that Sakurai really enjoyed Nazo no Murasamejō, even stating that it's one of his favorite games. He also mentioned that if Takamaru appeared in another game, he'd highly consider adding him. Pretty sure that equates to showing interest in Takamaru, which you claim Sakurai has shown NONE to.

And please, don't bring up the "more deserving" talk. I hate it so much. :laugh:

2.) Lil Mac is a given, but do you honestly believe Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider will make it in as playable characters? I'm not saying they don't have any chances, but really, I think they're in AT territory. Imo, of course.

3.) You like to exaggerate a lot huh? lol

And as Pieman0920 stated, his chances are like that of a standard retro character, albeit a tad lower. I'm holding out for the young samurai. =]
Awwwww man not the quote wars again...

Anyway, I numbered your statements up there and I'm giving my responses with the corresponding numbers below to avoid the whole quote and paste thing...

1.) I do stand corrected here, I have recently read that Sakurai enjoys the Nazo no Murasamejo series, but they weren't at the top of his list with Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, Balloon Fight, Mach Rider, and Punch-Out!!. And the I won't get into the "more deserving" stuff, but I'm sure SAkurai will want to include characters that can be appreciated around the world, not just in Japan. I know Fire Emblem was Japan only, but it was a bit more diverse...

2.) Balloon Fighter vs. Little Mac, my favorite! And about Mach Rider, I'm only stating the facts. I honestly don't think it will happen, but he was in the beta of Melee along with Pit and the Balloon Fighter, but I really don't know what to think about him.

Anyway, move on to the real debate. I've stated numerous times before, Little Mac and Balloon fighter's chances are even. Here's why; We know that Sakurai bases his choices mainly on originality of the character and how they are unique to the game. Popularity is only a side note. Balloon Fighter and Mac are even on this: Each of them can be difficult to create a moveset for. But if there was a moveset, who's would be the most unique? Mac just punches, I don't know how you can make a moveset with only punches and be unique at the same time. Ballon Fighter, however, is also a fihter like Mac, but he fights in a much more unique style. He could be a unique character, and I am thinking up a moveset for him as we debae this.

As a plus for Little Mac, he recently got a new game for the Wii, so he is probably more recognizable than Balloon Fighter. But, Balloon Fight was still closer to the top of Sakurai's list and Punch-Out!! was something he enjoyed, like Nazo no Murasamejo.

3.) I admit, I did exaggerate a bit... But still, there are a few characters, namely Little Mac and Balloon Fighter that will most likely appear before Takamaru does.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmmm, what are all your opinions regarding Lip from Panel de Pon? Lip ranked pretty high in the Melee poll. Personally, I am not so sure because I think NOA would be on edge with putting loli in. Though I could be wrong.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
But if you're going by the presumption that Sakurai is going to directing the next game, then the uniquness thing is a bit moot, given that Sakurai said he couldn't figure out how to make him fight. In addition, as Tingle has made his own apperances in a Balloon Fighter remake, so anything that could have gone to BF may as well go to him.

As for making a unique boxing moveset, I said multiple times Little Mac could get Stars though a special counter punch attack, and they could boost his other moves.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman, I just wanted to know, out of the Balloon Fighter and Mac, who do you think Sakurai would choose for the new retro character?

Sakurai obviously bases most of his choices on the originality and unique qualities of the character, and not as much on popularity. So if this was the case, I believe Sakurai would choose the Balloon Fighter. He is much more unique than Little Mac, and is the next on the list for Sakurai's retro characters. Plus, along with Pit and Ice Climbers, he stars in one of Sakurai's favorite NES games.

Punch-Out!! is one of Sakurai's favorites too, but it isn't getting noticed as much as Balloon Fighter, even though there is a new game. So, what do you think?
Sorry for ignoring this for the past hour but now I can actually respond.

Well, as I said earlier, I would have said otherwise before GDC 08 but now I agree with what you are saying. I too now believe that Sakurai would have more preference over the Balloon Fighter than Little Mac even though Little Mac has now been playable in 5 games (2 of them are arcade games) and this is why...

In terms of creativity, both of them are virtually clean slates because the number of moves they have in their respective games are very limited. Little Mac, unfortunately, kind of breaks the rule I mentioned early about having creative potential while keeping the character true to their "character." You see, he's a boxer. Well, so what you ask? In the games he has been in, all the attacks he's been able to do are jabs, hooks, and uppercuts, that's basically it. The problem with this is that if you were to give him kicks, for example, he would be out of character and because he's not a kick boxer.

Another example is how Little Mac always wears boxing gloves so giving him throws would, again, be out of character. You could remove the gloves and have his hands taped up like in the training cutscenes in Punch-Out Wii but, again, he's a traditional boxer; he doesn't do wrestling moves, he doesn't suplex his opponents, etc. Another big thing is the fact that, despite all the game's featuring eccentric and over-the-top characters, Little Mac is pretty normal. Now, people would argue that Captain Falcon is too but, keep in mind, that Captain Falcon truly was a clean slate until the anime series where he was given his abilities based on Smash Bros. Because Captain Falcon was always in his vehicle, they could have given him a moveset similar to ZSS in the first game and no one would be the wiser because, again, he never truly fought. Obviously, Little Mac is not the same and actually has some material to reference. With this being said, suddenly giving Little Mac super powers would not only be odd but contradictry to the character himself.

In the end, there really isn't a way to make Little Mac all that suitable for Smash without messing with the character's basic identity and personality, something that Sakurai seems to be very careful about even when it throws in his own artistic liberties like giving Ike eruption (an attack that's not even in the franchise), and making Mario's cape reverse/reflect attacks despite it never having that function in the games.

Now, with the Balloon Fighter, the character is an honest-to-God clean slate. In all three of the "Balloon" games (Balloon Fight, Balloon Kid, and Tingle's Balloon Fight), you pretty much do two things, flap your arms to go higher and move around. Pretty dull, right? The beauty in it though is that Sakurai could do pretty much anything with the character without taking it out of context. What's even better is that the Balloon Fighter doesn't have an established personality so there's even more that could be done with the character. Now, I'm not really a fan of the Balloon Fighter and I think the games are okay but I do recognize that the character could reasonably be made into a character without being too off the wall (I mean, the character is already weird enough so it would kind of hard to push him over the edge. :laugh:)

Oh and just for future reference, Sakurai has noted the following as some of his favorite games so I wouldn't be surprized if he "stuck his hand" into one of these for obscure character picks in the future:

1. Punch Out (NES)
2. Balloon Fight (NES)
3. Nazo No Marasume (AKA the Mystery of Marasume Castle, NES, Japan only)
4. The Adventures of Lolo (NES)
5. Mole Mania (GB)

@ Chronobound:

Cool story bro. I guess you could have written "STFU nOOb LOLOLOLOLOLOL" but it would have basically been the same thing so I'm glad you at least put some effort into your posts for a change.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Huh? You don't think something rational with my reasoning? What's the problem? And as I said before, I don't hate Geno. He was my favorite character in SMRPG. That doesn't stop me from knowing that he won't get in though.
No no no, you misread what I said. Yes, I do think you're one of the more sensible posters here. It shows in your responses, and I'm glad I had the the chance to discuss Geno with you.

He didn't show up in Galaxy. That was just a random magikoopa....well then maybe it could have been him, but that's only if you think that there's a single goomba that has shown up in every Mario game. Plus, there was a special boss magikoopa in that game, and it wasn't Kamek.
I see your point. Well then, Baby Bros. it is, though as stated by many, they may end up not appearing at all.

And I don't think a Black Mage will show up, since I don't think SE will team up in the first place. Even so, I think that a Chocobo would be good, or a Slime.
Chocobos weren't very prevalent when they appeared on the early Nintendo consoles. I think the first appeared in FFV―Black Mage, on the other hand, first appeared on the original Final Fanasty for the NES.

And Slime? I haven't played a lot of DQ games, but... how would he fight? lol

Awwwww man not the quote wars again...
:laugh:

I know the feeling.

Didn't Nazo no Murasamejō release on the VC, though? I should check if it was released in here.

But anyway, I did say that I mainly wanted Takamaru to appear in order to rekindle his series. I do want him to be more appreciated, and I think a new game would accomplish that. However, he's definitely obscure, which is a problem. Who would know him?

This is why I support his entry for Smash Bros.

You pretty much mentioned it yourself. It's gonna be pretty tough for Balloon Fighter to beat Mac, considering his new game.

I acknowledge this. Still, my support for him won't waver because of that fact. =]

@ChronoBound: It's so odd that Lip isn't already in Smash Bros., in my opinion. Her series is referenced many times, yet no character. Not sure why she hasn't appeared, but do you honestly believe it's because of her appearance? "Loli" is certainly not the first thing that pops in my head when I play Panel de Pon.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@ChronoBound: It's so odd that Lip isn't already in Smash Bros., in my opinion. Her series is referenced many times, yet no character. Not sure why she hasn't appeared, but do you honestly believe it's because of her appearance? "Loli" is certainly not the first thing that pops in my head when I play Panel de Pon.
Perhaps Lip can get a makeover like Pit did. Look, here is one Panel de Pon character was remodeled into an adult:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/_Asho_/3363246.jpg

A bit too racy, but it gives you an idea.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So why didn't they do Lip? >____>
I have found artwork for three other Panel de Pon characters done in this style. None of them are Lip. The other characters are Windy, Ruby, and Teana. With the exception of Windy, the artwork of them are even racier than the one posted.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps Lip can get a makeover like Pit did. Look, here is one Panel de Pon character was remodeled into an adult:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/_Asho_/3363246.jpg

A bit too racy, but it gives you an idea.
So in other words, make her look like an adolescent? Honestly, I wouldn't want to tamper with her model too much, but yeah, I guess I can agree with this. Not so much the teenager look, though.

If it bothers people, I suppose making her skirt a bit longer would suffice. I myself always pictured Lip to look something like this in SSB4:

http://i39.tinypic.com/ejv0vl.jpg

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
A long post that demonstrate the PERFECT reason why Balloon Fighter has better chances than Little Mac.
THANK YOU Fatman! I put a link to this post in my sig for whenever this comes up again. I couldn't have said any of that better myself. :)

You pretty much mentioned it yourself. It's gonna be pretty tough for Balloon Fighter to beat Mac, considering his new game.
Refer to the post linked in my sig. :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In terms of creativity, both of them are virtually clean slates because the number of moves they have in their respective games are very limited. Little Mac, unfortunately, kind of breaks the rule I mentioned early about having creative potential while keeping the character true to their "character." You see, he's a boxer. Well, so what you ask? In the games he has been in, all the attacks he's been able to do are jabs, hooks, and uppercuts, that's basically it. The problem with this is that if you were to give him kicks, for example, he would be out of character and because he's not a kick boxer.
Well, if Sakurai has trouble with creating a Little Mac moveset, he can always look up Balrog and Steve Fox from Street Fighter and Tekken respectively. Neither of these two use kick moves at all.

As for the throws, I have an idea:

FThrow: Grabs the opponent and punches the opponent away in the stomach.
BThrow: Jumps around the opponent and punches him/her away in the back.
DThrow: Does a downward punch hitting the opponent on the head. Has no knockback, think of it like Snake's DThrow.
UThrow: Uppercut to the chin.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I go away and when I come back more Geno flamewars. IMO Geno isn't worth all the bickering, Mallow was a much better character, but I will digress. All I want from SquareEnix is Slime, that is it, I have gone over all the reasons why previously in this thread. I am too lazy to do so again.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So in other words, make her look like an adolescent? Honestly, I wouldn't want to tamper with her model too much, but yeah, I guess I can agree with this. Not so much the teenager look, though.

If it bothers people, I suppose making her skirt a bit longer would suffice. I myself always pictured Lip to look something like this in SSB4:

http://i39.tinypic.com/ejv0vl.jpg
What?, the picture I posted was of an adult. However, I would say Lip's worst things going against her are how she has not been the main protagonist of her own series since 2003 (with the exception of an unlockable cameo in Panel de Pon DS), and how she was removed from every Panel de Pon game outside Japan (the Lip stage can only be accessed via a hacking device with overseas versions of Panel de Pon DS).

Also, to the person who said Slime, I would agree that Slime would probably be the most worthy Square-Enix character. However, if it were up to me personally I would choose Crono.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Well, if Sakurai has trouble with creating a Little Mac moveset, he can always look up Balrog and Steve Fox from Street Fighter and Tekken respectively. Neither of these two use kick moves at all.

DThrow: Does a downward punch hitting the opponent on the head. Has no knockback, think of it like Snake's DThrow.
Okay, but can you think of any special moves that aren't kicks and are different than the 12 or so standard moves?

I go away and when I come back more Geno flamewars. IMO Geno isn't worth all the bickering, Mallow was a much better character, but I will digress. All I want from SquareEnix is Slime, that is it, I have gone over all the reasons why previously in this thread. I am too lazy to do so again.
Uhh, actually, those ended a few pages back. Please, we're done with that for now, don't start it up again...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And Slime? I haven't played a lot of DQ games, but... how would he fight? lol
Mixture of physical/magic attacks. Plus, as Fat mentioned earlier about creativity. Sakurai could do a lot with Slime as far as Smash-exlcusive moves go. Like maybe where he can stretch his body out and smack people while spinning on the ground.

He can even hold items, just look at Rocket Slime for the DS, his special moves could be created just from that very game alone (ie, UpB = Baloon). Not even counting the main DQ games and the Slime's magical abilities like Frizzle or Poof.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Slimes are a generic monster species in the whole Dragon Quest series. I doubt they would even skip to the main character debut after all the times we've destroyed the squishy baztards.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Slimes are a generic monster species in the whole Dragon Quest series. I doubt they would even skip to the main character debut after all the times we've destroyed the squishy baztards.
They would play the mascot role for the Dragon Quest series (since there is no real established main character like Link, Mario, Sonic, etc...), just like with Pikachu and the Pokémon series.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Well, if any mascot should be more worthy for Square-Enix, it would be a Final Fantasy one, wouldn't you agree?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Okay, but can you think of any special moves that aren't kicks and are different than the 12 or so standard moves?
No, but the fact that Little Mac's moveset would be incredibly simple may make him appealing from a design standpoint. Also, he would bring something new to the table: a normal, realistic character.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, if any mascot should be more worthy for Square-Enix, it would be a Final Fantasy one, wouldn't you agree?
You are asking me? In my opinion, no.

The fact that there is a law in Japan that Dragon Quest games cannot be sold on weekdays due to massive absenteeism says a lot. 95% of Japanese people (both gamers and non) know what the Dragon Quest series is, heck in music classes they even learn Dragon Quest songs!

Though not as popular as Final Fantasy in the West, it still has a huge following. Just not a mainstream one, but than again neither does Final Fantasy. RPG's have never done well with "casual" gamers, unless we are talking about Zelda... Which we are not.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
What?, the picture I posted was of an adult. However, I would say Lip's worst things going against her are how she has not been the main protagonist of her own series since 2003 (with the exception of an unlockable cameo in Panel de Pon DS), and how she was removed from every Panel de Pon game outside Japan (the Lip stage can only be accessed via a hacking device with overseas versions of Panel de Pon DS).
Huh? It honestly looks like a teenager to me, but whatever. When it comes to anime, I can never tell how old a character is.

But yes, I somewhat agree that the worst thing for her is her lack of appearance. As for her being removed, I always thought that, back then, she didn't appear because the gaming industry was male dominant/driven. What boy would be seen playing a game like that? lol

I don't think that's much of a problem now, considering the fastest growing market in gaming today: Female gamers.

Also, to the person who said Slime, I would agree that Slime would probably be the most worthy Square-Enix character. However, if it were up to me personally I would choose Crono.
No love for Black Mage?

No, but the fact that Little Mac's moveset would be incredibly simple may make him appealing from a design standpoint. Also, he would bring something new to the table: a normal, realistic character.
Quick special moveset for Lil Mac:

Neutral B: Star Strike
-A devastating punch. In the middle of charging, hits can be absorbed. The punch is released the moment it is fully charged or until the player decides to release B. The longer it's held, the stronger.

Forward B: Dash Rush
-Lil Mac dashes forward. While dashing, he's resistant to knockback (super armor). This maneuver makes Lil Mac fatigue so it's best to use sparingly.

• Forward Bx: Dash Flurry
    -Lil Mac dashes forward. He quickly delivers a flurry of punches depending on the number of times B is pushes. This maneuver makes Lil Mac fatigue so it's best to use sparingly.

• Forward B (B held down): Dash Cross
    -Lil Mac dashes forward. He delivers a strong blow depending on how long B is held down. This maneuver makes Lil Mac fatigue so it's best to use sparingly.

Up B: Star Uppercut:
A powerful uppercut: Used on the ground, Lil Mac will merely hop inches into the air. Used in the air, he will leap significantly farther. This move has a one in eight chance of "overstepping" in which Mac exceeds the attacks usual height and power.

Down B: Footwork
-As the opponent attacks, Lil Mac bob and weaves simultaneously, evading the said attack. You can dodge standards and a few specials. This maneuver makes Lil Mac fatigue so it's best to use sparingly. (Think Budokai 3 "Dodging')

Good?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Wait, so Mac's chances are lower than BF's because it doesn't make sense for him to grapple? Shouldn't BF's problem be that it doesn't make sense for him to throw a punch? Or that Sakurai himself said he couldn't think of anything to do with him? How does ROB, Kirby, or Jiggs grab someone without hands (or in the latter two's caes, the lack of most of their arms including elbows) Its also out of character for Samus to punch or kick, because she only shoots uses screw attacks. What about Lucas and Ness borrowing attacks from other character in their series. They shouldn't be doing that, right?

Seriously, that doesn't make sense. There are compromises for what a character is in Smash.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
The two characters would be great. After all, if you look at the Balloon Fight wikipedia page the series actually has a good number of games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

... I like this. Very practical and it stays true to the character. I do kind have one concern though, does it make Little Mac seem too much like a traditional fighting character? Does anyone have any good ideas for his special moves? Personally, my biggest concern for Little Mac is, if he were included, that he'd be a little cut and dry based on what he would give Sakurai to work with.

Regarding Lip, she is one of the eleven characters that Sakurai has specifically mentioned out of context since the release of Melee. The others were:

1. Lucas (Post Melee notes: said that he originally wanted him to replace Ness in Melee)

2. Sonic (interview two years after Melee's release: noted that Yugi Naka approached him like two months before Melee was released about the idea)

3. Little Mac (Post Melee notes: Punch Out is one of his favorite games.)

4. Lolo (Post Melee notes: Adventures of Lolo is one of his favorite games.)

5. Takamaru (Post Melee notes: Said Nazo No Marasume was one of his favorite games and said that he'd strongly consider making Takamaru playable if he was ever in another game)

6. Animal Crossing Boy (GDC 08: said that making him a fighter would put him too much out of character)

7. Balloon Fighter (Post Melee notes: decided to go with the Ice Climbers instead early in development)

8. Sukapon (Post Melee notes and Brawl journal: said that Sukapon offered little content and would be hard to make practical due to his "unique" body structure.)

9. Sigurd (Post Melee notes: was supposedly changed to Roy later in development and, along with Lip, used as a reference to how he wants to avoid catering to Japanese audiences *which he kind of does anyways but meh...*)

10. Muddy Mole (Brawl journal: Said that he liked Muddy so much that he was seriously considering just putting him *although he didn't specify as a cameo or playable* just for the heck of. It still confuses me why he wasn't added; did Mole Mania have any stickers in Brawl?)

Melee and Brawl had minor Panel de Pon references and Lip appeared both in the Melee and Brawl poll. Like with the Balloon Fighter, Lip/Furil (I know, two different people but they are pretty much interchangable) is pretty much a clean slate since she doesn't truly attack in her games (aside from making blocks fall). She does have the Lip Stick but there is the problem of that being an item and, like said in arguments long past, having Lip playable and the Lip Stick and item would be like having Link playable but making the Master Sword an item too, as they are both essentially trademark weapons. They could simply get rid of the lip stick I suppose so it would be a relatively quick fix.

The main concern I have with Lip though is that, despite Lip being a clean slate, would he be willing to build her from the ground up? The original Smash had two, Fox and Captain Falcon (although neither were obscure), Melee had one, the Ice Climbers, and Brawl had one, ROB. With this being said, the past has shown that Sakurai is willing to build characters completely from scratch but in limited amounts. With this being said, would Sakurai be willing to do it and by "do it", I mean put that much attention into her to make her playable?

Concerning lesser known characters, he said that if most players didn't have a clue who they were, he said that as long as people wanted to play as them after seeing their moveset, he didn't care but my question is whether or not Lip could be made interesting enough for people to care. Anybody have any good movesets I could look at?

Pieman said:

Wait, so Mac's chances are lower than BF's because it doesn't make sense for him to grapple? Shouldn't BF's problem be that it doesn't make sense for him to throw a punch? Or that Sakurai himself said he couldn't think of anything to do with him? How does ROB, Kirby, or Jiggs grab someone without hands (or in the latter two's caes, the lack of most of their arms including elbows) Its also out of character for Samus to punch or kick, because she only shoots uses screw attacks. What about Lucas and Ness borrowing attacks from other character in their series. They shouldn't be doing that, right?

Fatmanonice sez:

ROB uses clamps like how the real ROB uses them to grab gyros in Stack Up, Jigglypuff can learn moves like Seismic Toss in the actual pokemon games, and Kirby's f/d/b throws all come from his suplex ability and his uthrow comes from his ninja ability. Regarding Samus, her moves don't contradict her character: it's not "un-natural" for her to punch or kick like it would be for Little Mac using kicks because he's a professional boxer. Regarding Ness and Lucas, they are still abilities within in the game and demostrate their PSI abilities despite mostly belonging to Paula and Kumatora, respectively. It would be out of character though if Ness threw grenades, for example, or, if some weird reason, Lucas's had a biting attack. Basically, in these situations, you can look at the characters and say "I could reasonably see them doing the things they are doing in their respective games." I could see Samus throwing punches and I could see Ness using PK Fire but I can imagine Little Mac doing suplex moves without it seeming "off." Final Smashes are kind of outside this though simply because they are meant to be over-the-top in nature.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it's not the fact that the Balloon Fighter can't throw a punch but the fact that he never has. It's definately a big difference when it comes to the clean slate characters. You could say, well, Mario's never used a gun but, think about it, Mario's so established that doing such a thing would simply contradict the nature of the games themselves.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Anybody have any good movesets I could look at?
Really quick special moveset:

Neutral B: Item Block
Lip materializes a panel. In terms of usage, the panel operates like a item. Panels are generated by chance - the strongest being the rarest.

Each panel bares a symbol which dictates how strong the panel is. If a panel misses the opponent and lands on a solid surface, it will embed itself into it, in which it'll function like a motion sensor bomb.

Whatever nears it runs the risk of triggering a damaging status effect (Fire, Ice, Thunder, etc). Status effect is determined by the color of the panel.

Forward B: Fairy Pollen
Lip produces a sparkling pollen. If a opponent makes contact with the pollen, he/she will sprout a flower on their head which does continual damage for a short period of time.

If the opponent is hit by another dosage while the flower is still there, the flower will grow, lasting longer and dealing more damage.

Up B: Lift Panel
Lip materializes a translucent block which she rides. The panel can either move left, right, up, or down determining on which way the player wants her to go. No diagonal movement.

Down B: Cursor Swap
A two-block cursor highlights Lip and whatever adjacent to her. Using it in close proximity to an opponent will switch his/her position to Lip's previous location. No damage is dealt.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Fatmanonice sez:

ROB uses clamps like how the real ROB uses them to grab gyros in Stack Up, Jigglypuff can learn moves like Seismic Toss in the actual pokemon games, and Kirby's f/d/b throws all come from his suplex ability and his uthrow comes from his ninja ability. Regarding Samus, her moves don't contradict her character: it's not "un-natural" for her to punch or kick like it would be for Little Mac using kicks because he's a professional boxer. Regarding Ness and Lucas, they are still abilities within in the game and demostrate their PSI abilities despite mostly belonging to Paula and Kumatora, respectively. It would be out of character though if Ness threw grenades, for example, or, if some weird reason, Lucas's had a biting attack. Basically, in these situations, you can look at the characters and say "I could reasonably see them doing the things they are doing in their respective games." I could see Samus throwing punches and I could see Ness using PK Fire but I can imagine Little Mac doing suplex moves without it seeming "off." Final Smashes are kind of outside this though simply because they are meant to be over-the-top in nature.
ROB doesn't throw anything in stack up though. Jigs also doesn't learn Seismic Toss. In addition, certain PO boxers do grapple, so if Ness and Lucas can borrow other character's moves, then why can't Mac? And there was a post above that you aknowleged on how it could work. I'm not saying that Mac should go kicking people, but rather the concept of grabbing shouldn't hurt his chances. As far as Final Smashes go, its pretty obvious that Mac's would be Giga Mac.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it's not the fact that the Balloon Fighter can't throw a punch but the fact that he never has. It's definately a big difference when it comes to the clean slate characters. You could say, well, Mario's never used a gun but, think about it, Mario's so established that doing such a thing would simply contradict the nature of the games themselves.
Link using a gun though doesn't seem right, but he uses them in the SSB games. The point though is that a Balloon Fighter attacks by landing on people, and using arms to flap. That's how Balloon Fighters work, just like Boxers not kicking, eh?

But really, clean slate characters I don't think have very good chances, since everything has to be made up for them. While every characer has to have certain moves made up for them, they usually have a large chunk of their moves based around techniques either they, or characters in their games can use. Little Mac has his own fighting abilities and could easily use some of the ones that other fighters have used, if needed, while Balloon Fighter really doesn't.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sigurd was never planned as a playable character. I have challenged every person who said this to actual evidence and they never backed it up. For the longest time there were people that said Sigurd was Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character, only for someone who actually did their homework to discover that it was actually Navarre (a swordmaster from FE1/FE3). Heck, Sigurd only got two votes in the official Melee poll.

Tacel

Smash Lord
The point though is that a Balloon Fighter attacks by landing on people, and using arms to flap. That's how Balloon Fighters work, just like Boxers not kicking, eh?
Yes, but if R.O.B.'s attacks were based off what he did "in" his games, then his attacks would just be him picking up and placing down enemies. They gave him new attacks for Brawl, because who would want to play as a robot who only picked up and placed down enemies in Brawl?

If a Balloon Fighter were to be added to smash, they'd be given more attacks.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Part One:ROB doesn't throw anything in stack up though. Jigs also doesn't learn Seismic Toss. In addition, certain PO boxers do grapple, so if Ness and Lucas can borrow other character's moves, then why can't Mac? And there was a post above that you aknowleged on how it could work. I'm not saying that Mac should go kicking people, but rather the concept of grabbing shouldn't hurt his chances. As far as Final Smashes go, its pretty obvious that Mac's would be Giga Mac.

Part Two:Link using a gun though doesn't seem right, but he uses them in the SSB games. The point though is that a Balloon Fighter attacks by landing on people, and using arms to flap. That's how Balloon Fighters work, just like Boxers not kicking, eh?

Part Three:But really, clean slate characters I don't think have very good chances, since everything has to be made up for them. While every characer has to have certain moves made up for them, they usually have a large chunk of their moves based around techniques either they, or characters in their games can use. Little Mac has his own fighting abilities and could easily use some of the ones that other fighters have used, if needed, while Balloon Fighter really doesn't.
Regarding part one, if you want to be that technical, all the Zelda characters don't grab in their respective games, Samus can't grab enemies with the grabbling beam, and the Fire Emblem don't grab in their games. I can't find a good TM list for the Red and Blue games (even on serebii.net) so I can't really rebuttal that. I have an old guide somewhere in my basement but, truth be told, I'm too lazy to look it up. :laugh: Regardless, it's not too unreasonable for Jigglypuff to throw and grab.

Why can't Little Mac just borrow moves from other characters? Well, it's kind of noted in the games that he's one of the characters who always fights fair. Dragon Chan kicks in Super Punch Out but, again, he cheats. Aran Ryan fights with a boxing glove on a rope in the title defense match in Punch Out Wii but... well, my response is obvious. There aren't really any specials moves from the other characters that a) don't just mimic his or b) aren't considered "cheating." I will say this though, I do like what KumaOso said earlier on about a solution to the grab dilema. I just thought of something else... how would he hold items with gloves? I mean, I know Kirby and Jigglypuff has nubs for arms but at least they've been shown to grab things in their own games or, in Jigglypuff's case, the anime and manga. *thinks about it* King Dedede and Metaknight kind of wear what resemble boxing gloves but, then again, they're not nearly as curved in as Mac's and.... GAH... this is making my head hurt. *thinks about Little Mac trying to use a Super Scope* Oh God, where are my pills... *starts popping random pills like M&M's*

Regarding Part two, the guns aren't part of his moveset though. Obviously, for the most part anyways, most of the worlds in Smash Bros wouldn't collide in other settings so you kind of have to give some leaway in regards to the setting of the franchise. Despite things like double jumps, the characters don't do anything out of character in their own movesets despite the smash bros series kind of being one giant cluster **** in every other regard. :psycho:

About the Balloon Fighter, again, extremelly basic so there really aren't too many things that could be done to him that could make fans look at the screen and say "that's wrong, he'd never do that." It's like with the Ice Climbers, they don't have any of their abilities in Ice Climber but the moves they do don't make most people think that the moveset was just made haphazardly simply so that they'd fit better in Smash. In other words, it makes sense within it's own context because 1. there's ice, 2. they're using their mallets and 3. they're working together. Despite being very different from the original game, the essence of what the game is about is still captured and I believe that could be done for the Balloon Fighter as well.

Regarding part three, as the past has shown, they really don't because Sakurai only adds them in a limited number anyways given, like a pointed out a few pages back, every character averaged about 2 days of work in Brawl. This is what makes me have my doubts about Lip. As for Little Mac, I suppose so based on how, like how we both said, he's not a complete clean slate but still doesn't offer that much. My main concern still remains of his moveset ending up too much like a basic fighting character's based on what they give them to work with and the limitations he has within his own franchise (ie; being somewhat realistic).

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Why can't Little Mac just borrow moves from other characters? Well, it's kind of noted in the games that he's one of the characters who always fights fair. Dragon Chan kicks in Super Punch Out but, again, he cheats. Aran Ryan fights with a boxing glove on a rope in the title defense match in Punch Out Wii but... well, my response is obvious. There aren't really any specials moves from the other characters that a) don't just mimic his or b) aren't considered "cheating." I will say this though, I do like what KumaOso said earlier on about a solution to the grab dilema. I just thought of something else... how would he hold items with gloves? I mean, I know Kirby and Jigglypuff has nubs for arms but at least they've been shown to grab things in their own games or, in Jigglypuff's case, the anime and manga. *thinks about it* King Dedede and Metaknight kind of wear what resemble boxing gloves but, then again, they're not nearly as curved in as Mac's and.... GAH... this is making my head hurt. *thinks about Little Mac trying to use a Super Scope* Oh God, where are my pills... *starts popping random pills like M&M's*
Its Smash though, so its non-canon, not a problem, and not boxing anyways, so he's not breaking any rules. And you kind of made a rebuttle to how he'd hold the things, given that several Smash characters noticably lack fingers. Plus in some ads, Mac holds a Wiimote in his gloves anyways.

Also though I havn't seen all the episodes, I'm almost certain that neither in the anime or manga that Jigs is a grappler. Heck, look at how the Seismic Toss is portrayed in the anime...Jigglypuff certainly doesn't do that in Brawl, and really couldn't anyways.

About the Balloon Fighter, again, extremelly basic so there really aren't too many things that could be done to him that could make fans look at the screen and say "that's wrong, he'd never do that." It's like with the Ice Climbers, they don't have any of their abilities in Ice Climber but the moves they do don't make most people think that the moveset was just made haphazardly simply so that they'd fit better in Smash. In other words, it makes sense within it's own context because 1. there's ice, 2. they're using their mallets and 3. they're working together. Despite being very different from the original game, the essence of what the game is about is still captured and I believe that could be done for the Balloon Fighter as well.
Still doesn't mean that BF has higher chances than Mac just because he has very little established canon. Heck, the fact that Tingle can do everything BF can do is what I think hurts his chances the most, since Tingle has a high chance of getting in. (Whatever it is that you think the BF can do anyways. His big thing is landing on people and....yeah)

Regarding part three, as the past has shown, they really don't because Sakurai only adds them in a limited number anyways given, like a pointed out a few pages back, every character averaged about 2 days of work in Brawl. This is what makes me have my doubts about Lip. As for Little Mac, I suppose so based on how, like how we both said, he's not a complete clean slate but still doesn't offer that much. My main concern still remains of his moveset ending up too much like a basic fighting character's based on what they give them to work with and the limitations he has within his own franchise (ie; being somewhat realistic).
By no means is he restricted. Multiple boxers have been used in other fighting games, and given the fact that Mac could borrow from other fighters (who have much more outlandish moves) should quell any problems about him being too realistic, which as I said, aren't that out of character due to it not actually being boxing for him. The fact that his style in game is based about gaining power from countering could also be used in SSB4, as we don't have that.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Jigglypuff can learn Seismic Toss via TM in Generation 1...it's also capable of learning it as a tutor move in Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald, and Pokemon XD. Just throwin' that out there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom