• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
RPG would fail smash bros. SSE in my opinion was a nice attempt to adding more 1-player stuff to Smash, but an RPG would kill the 1-player more. I vote board the platforms be put in again, it's funner and more challenging than break the target.
how so? is it because it doesn't fit smash or because you don't like RPG? I really disagree on the point where you stated that it would "kill" the 1-player mode, because on the contrary it would make it better, sure it would probably take a big chunk out of the disc plus alot of programming to be done, but IMO it would be worth it even though it's not a suitable smash style mode

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Yoyo was an ability exclusive to Kirby Super Star, which was released in 1995, 4 years BEFORE Smash came out. It hasn't made a reappearance since though it will most likely return in Super Star Ultra. Dash + Y would do the Break Spin.

The "Comet" move was actually the Burning attack. It was labeled as Fireball in Adventure (separate from fire) and Burning in Dream Land 2 and 3. Dash + Y with Fire ability in Super Star would produce a Burning attack. It returned as Burning (I think it was called that...) in Amazing Mirror and as Fire's dash attack in Squeak Squad.

and there's your Kirby history lesson for today. Any other questions?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
"the_Capt_Falcon_Master said:
chief:
i was saying that kirby gets the ness hat when he has the yoyo power. many of ness's attacks use yoyos and i think they wanted people to make the connection.
Oh, okay then. Neat-o.

Yoyo was an ability exclusive to Kirby Super Star, which was released in 1995, 4 years BEFORE Smash came out. It hasn't made a reappearance since though it will most likely return in Super Star Ultra. Dash + Y would do the Break Spin.

The "Comet" move was actually the Burning attack. It was labeled as Fireball in Adventure (separate from fire) and Burning in Dream Land 2 and 3. Dash + Y with Fire ability in Super Star would produce a Burning attack. It returned as Burning (I think it was called that...) in Amazing Mirror and as Fire's dash attack in Squeak Squad.

and there's your Kirby history lesson for today. Any other questions?
...No. I am quite humbled...as well as slightly scared. I really need to play more Kirby games, too...(if only I liked them...)

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Kirby nerd, what can I say? I've played just about all of them, Super Star the most. Pretty much 80% of Smash is based on Super Star, including the combat system if you can believe it.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Looking over the past posts, seeing that Banjo & Kazooie pic made me remember my wishlists for Melee & Brawl. In addition, I might as well post my wishlist for SSB4:

Who I wanted for Melee:
Joanna Dark
King Dedede
Banjo & Kazooie
A Killer Instinct character
Pit

Yep...ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM MADE IT IN! Tons of clones got in. Dr. Mario got in...but none of the above got in. And with Rare gone, my beloved Joanna Dark will never see the light of Smash Bros. I even had imagined movesets for them (My Pit had the same moves Brawl's Pit has, except Pit's B Foward was a hammer). Seeing Pit's Melee trophy made me violently upset that he wasn't in Melee. Seven years I would have to wait for Pit, a decent Kirby, and more Kirby characters!

Who I wanted for Brawl:
Pit
Lucario
Isaac from Golden Sun
Wolf
Sonic
Krystal
R.O.B.

This round's wishlist mostly came true. Pit was confirmed from day one, so Lucario became my obsession. Wolf I though wouldn't make the cut, then lo & behold, he was confirmed! Sonic I didn't clamor too much about, since I just knew he'd be in after Snake opened his door.

Some of who I want for SSB4:
Mega Man
Isaac from Golden Sun
Pit to return
Lucario to return
Wolf to return
Mewtwo to return (from Melee)

I was pretty happy with Brawl's roster. Greatly made up for Melee's (the lack of Dedede and Meta Knight, and too many clones made me bitter). So really, if my mains could make the cut, I'd be satsified. Pit's chances of coming back are pretty much guaranteed; now that we have him, interest in him was spiked. It's Wolf & Lucario, ESPECIALLY LUCARIO, I'm worried about. I swear, I'd like Krystal, but if they drop Wolf for her, there WILL be blood. Still rooting for Isaac as a playable character; and Mega Man is much needed. Mega Man 9 FTW!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Looking over the past posts, seeing that Banjo & Kazooie pic made me remember my wishlists for Melee & Brawl. In addition, I might as well post my wishlist for SSB4:

Who I wanted for Melee:
Joanna Dark
King Dedede
Banjo & Kazooie
A Killer Instinct character
Pit

Yep...ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM MADE IT IN! Tons of clones got in. Dr. Mario got in...but none of the above got in. And with Rare gone, my beloved Joanna Dark will never see the light of Smash Bros. I even had imagined movesets for them (My Pit had the same moves Brawl's Pit has, except Pit's B Foward was a hammer). Seeing Pit's Melee trophy made me violently upset that he wasn't in Melee. Seven years I would have to wait for Pit, a decent Kirby, and more Kirby characters!

Who I wanted for Brawl:
Pit
Lucario
Isaac from Golden Sun
Wolf
Sonic
Krystal
R.O.B.

This round's wishlist mostly came true. Pit was confirmed from day one, so Lucario became my obsession. Wolf I though wouldn't make the cut, then lo & behold, he was confirmed! Sonic I didn't clamor too much about, since I just knew he'd be in after Snake opened his door.

Some of who I want for SSB4:
Mega Man
Isaac from Golden Sun
Pit to return
Lucario to return
Wolf to return
Mewtwo to return (from Melee)

I was pretty happy with Brawl's roster. Greatly made up for Melee's (the lack of Dedede and Meta Knight, and too many clones made me bitter). So really, if my mains could make the cut, I'd be satsified. Pit's chances of coming back are pretty much guaranteed; now that we have him, interest in him was spiked. It's Wolf & Lucario, ESPECIALLY LUCARIO, I'm worried about. I swear, I'd like Krystal, but if they drop Wolf for her, there WILL be blood. Still rooting for Isaac as a playable character; and Mega Man is much needed. Mega Man 9 FTW!
Dude, I love Perfect Dark, but...really, Joanna? I always thought she was a pretty shallow character, especially in comparison to Elvis, aka God Incarnate.

Hey though, I'll roll with this:

CM's Wishlists (or at least what I can remember of them)

Melee

King Dedede
Cloud
Bowser
Ganondorf
Wario
Ridley
Shantae

I was young and stupid, having no idea why Cloud wouldn't be included--Imeanforcrapssake hehasafreakin'hugeswordandspikyhairamirite?! :bee: And to be honest, I only wanted Shantae in there so I could see her jiggle in glorious, glorious 3D.

Brawl

Ridley
Sora
Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Meta-Knight
Wolf
Krystal
Ike
Hector/Lyndis
Tom Nook
Dark Samus
Olimar
Phoenix Wright
Viewtiful Joe

Lots more 3rd party, for obvious reasons. Cloud got stupid after a few years, though. About half of this came to be, but Brawl overall left me pretty dissappointed in the characters depot.

SSB4

Ridley
Lip
KOS-MOS
Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Andy
Sigurd
Tom Nook
MegaMan X
Lash
Mewtwo
Phoenix Wright
Viewtiful Joe
Deoxys
Viewtiful Joe
Takamaru
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe

Notice a pattern yet?

Big Red said:
Rockman or I'm not buyin'.
I doubt it. Really, even if the game does nothing but add Wrinkly Kong as an Assist Trophy a Sticker, we'd all still buy SSB4, and you know it. :chuckle:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Yo-Yo Kirby I'm talking about hailed from Super Star. I remember it being ludicrously good against Meta Knight, better than the sword. But yeah that's where the Break Spin move came from.

It was one of the funnest and most effective of his powers in that game.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Fulgore from Killer Instinct.
Bomberman.
K.Rool.
Fix Snake's tilts.
More online options.
Alternate costumes.
Rambi as an AT.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
vegeta9000 is insane. None of those is going to happen.

...Okay, maybe Geno. But really, I only say that to avoid drawing fire.

EDIT - I now know why Melee Kirby wears Ness' hat backwards, thanks to Kiyosuki. Wisdom +1

Leech

Smash Journeyman
Okay.. i agree on bomberman since i have seen a post about him.. but im not going to read all of the posts just to see if one char is in.. he is bound to be.. Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia.. or any ToS Char..

D

Deleted member

Possibly a Zelda, Fire Emblem, Or Metroid Newcomer.

I do not agree with Geno.

I Also want Megaman, Maybe Mewtwo and A new nintendo franchise.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Okay.. i agree on bomberman since i have seen a post about him.. but im not going to read all of the posts just to see if one char is in.. he is bound to be.. Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia.. or any ToS Char..
never ever EVER lloyd from ToS that is a horrible crappy game and lloyd is probably one of THE WORST rpg heros ever.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
never ever EVER lloyd from ToS that is a horrible crappy game and lloyd is probably one of THE WORST rpg heros ever.
Most people like ToS. It was probably the best RPG on the gamecube.

But, Lloyd won't get the spot. Why? He's not well known enough. This is also the reason why Bomberman (unfortunately) won't make it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hey, I have a great idea. I know this may be hard for a lot of you, but what NINTENDO characters would you guys like to be included?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Maybe Disaster Day of Crisis?
Probably not. As far as we know, the game's supposed to be very realistic. Way more so than something like Metal Gear, even. The main character has no special powers or anything, just brains and regular, everyday tools.

But it's not out yet, so who knows?

gantrain05 said:
SkylerOcon said:
Most people like ToS. It was probably the best RPG on the gamecube.

But, Lloyd won't get the spot. Why? He's not well known enough. This is also the reason why Bomberman (unfortunately) won't make it.
Lloyd isn't too original, true, but he's definitely not a bad protagonist (as far as jRPGs go, at least). And ToS is a good game.

Regardless, Skyler's got this pegged.

Spire III said:
Hey, I have a great idea. I know this may be hard for a lot of you, but what NINTENDO characters would you guys like to be included?
Viewtiful Joe At least one, but prefferably two or three Advance Wars characters. Andy's an obvious choice, but besides him, I'd like to see Sami and Lash/Hawke.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Someone's going to list a non-Nintendo character. Someone will still mistake Master Chief or Cloud Strife as Nintendo owned characters. Just wait.

Isaac
King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Saki Amamiya
Vaati
Ganon
Mega Man...oh, ****, there I go and messed things up!

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I think Megaman and Protoman should come in as 3rd party charachter but alot of people think they are similar but can be way different
Megaman uses his Blaster Mini bombs and such
Protoman can use his Sword his tornado (like he does in megaman nt warrior)
they can have completely different playing styles and they both just look awsome so why not :O

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Baby M&L
Bowser Jr.
Isaac

And another Kirby rep. Yes, that's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to see Knuckle Joe playable. However, alternately, if Ridley gets in, Dyna Blade could be included to give us someone else to make him feel less awkward. Admit it, Ridley fans, even if we did shrink him and all, he'd still feel awkward, at least at first.

I'm sure there are more, but my brain's broken right now...

This is also the reason why Bomberman (unfortunately) won't make it.
Is Bomberman really not very widely known? That's sad; he's classic... :( Ignorant people should start playing Bomberman games, so we can include him. :p

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Admit it, Ridley fans, even if we did shrink him and all, he'd still feel awkward, at least at first.
Ummm...no he wouldn't? Why the hell do you think he would? Are you saying it would be impossible for the designers to make him feel comfortable? And assume your right, even if he was only a couple plays would make him feel perfectly normal. Just because his appearance makes him look like he would be awkward should in no way reduce his chances of making it.

Is Bomberman really not very widely known? That's sad; he's classic...
Who doesn't know who Bomberman is???? :mad: I will slap them. Sigh...that would be so tight and classic if he made it but his chances are slim to nil. I would prefer Banjo, but most of us know how unlikely that is.

Oh and Kibble, Bomberman is really well known. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Besides even if he wasn't well known thats not why he wasn't put into Brawl.

At least one, but prefferably two or three Advance Wars characters. Andy's an obvious choice, but besides him, I'd like to see Sami and Lash/Hawke.
How do you propose they make these movesets? I thought of this too, but the only plausible thing I could ever think of was Andy instructing helicopters/tanks/infantry ala Pokemon Trainer...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Is Bomberman really not very widely known? That's sad; he's classic... :( Ignorant people should start playing Bomberman games, so we can include him. :p
Yes! Especially that Xbox Bomberman game!

Adam Sessler: Looks like Venom & Master Chief had a baby!

No, seriously, Bomberman's all right. High five!

majora_787

Smash Hero
SirKibble. Uhhm...

NOBODY is ignorant because they don't play bomberman. I don't blame anyone for not playing bomberman, especially since I don't know anyone who even knows who bomberman is.

ALSO, a new character will ALWAYS feel awkward at first. Do not say it is only a bad thing in Ridley's case.

Sonic Dedede Lucas Meta Snake Ike PT Lucario Wolf Pit and R.O.B. ALL felt awkward the very first time people tried them.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Saki Amamiya
Saki's not really a Nintendo character. He's technically second-party, but since Nintendo doesn't own Treasure (the company that made Sin & Punishment), he's essentially third-party anyway.

SirKibble said:
And another Kirby rep. Yes, that's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to see Knuckle Joe playable. However, alternately, if Ridley gets in, Dyna Blade could be included to give us someone else to make him feel less awkward. Admit it, Ridley fans, even if we did shrink him and all, he'd still feel awkward, at least at first.
I really don't think Dyna Blade's going to happen, but I see what you're getting at. Ridley'd hopefully play like a non-fat Charizard, only with more range, which would be a bit strange by itself...but really, not so much that they'd have to include a so-similar character like Dyna to compensate.

Trapt497 said:
How do you propose they make these movesets? I thought of this too, but the only plausible thing I could ever think of was Andy instructing helicopters/tanks/infantry ala Pokemon Trainer...
Well, obviously the Super CO Powers would be used as each fighter's Final Smash. Other than that, their special moves would be built around the idea of constructing factories and having those factories spawn units, that would then act like the Infantry & Tanks AT, only destructible. This'd probably be each character's Neutral B...Andy would make Recon units, Sami would make Infantry, Max and Hawke tanks, and so on. Another special would be based off of their CO Power, and the other two would be original moves created just for Smash Bros..

Physical attacks would be pretty obvious...Andy has his wrench, Max his giant fists, and so on. So that's that. I could probably make movesets for them, but I don't feel like it. :ohwell:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Ummm...no he wouldn't? Why the hell do you think he would? Are you saying it would be impossible for the designers to make him feel comfortable? And assume your right, even if he was only a couple plays would make him feel perfectly normal. Just because his appearance makes him look like he would be awkward should in no way reduce his chances of making it.

Who doesn't know who Bomberman is???? :mad: I will slap them. Sigh...that would be so tight and classic if he made it but his chances are slim to nil. I would prefer Banjo, but most of us know how unlikely that is.

Oh and Kibble, Bomberman is really well known. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Besides even if he wasn't well known thats not why he wasn't put into Brawl.
I didn't say it should reduce his chances of making it. I just said he'd feel awkward at first. Maybe I'm the only one, but I think a Ridley small enough to fit comfortably in Smash would feel strange, if only for a little while. Especially after he's been a boss character, making him playable may take some getting used to. At least, I think so.

But seriously, Bomberman needs a spot in the next Smash.

Yes! Especially that Xbox Bomberman game!

Adam Sessler: Looks like Venom & Master Chief had a baby!

No, seriously, Bomberman's all right. High five!
Lol. Yes, that one for sure. :p

SirKibble. Uhhm...

NOBODY is ignorant because they don't play bomberman. I don't blame anyone for not playing bomberman, especially since I don't know anyone who even knows who bomberman is.

ALSO, a new character will ALWAYS feel awkward at first. Do not say it is only a bad thing in Ridley's case.

Sonic Dedede Lucas Meta Snake Ike PT Lucario Wolf Pit and R.O.B. ALL felt awkward the very first time people tried them.
Bomberman is the shiznit. Don't you try to tell me otherwise. Ever.

And none of those characters felt awkward for me at all, except for possibly R.O.B., but he's just a weirdie. Just because you have to learn a character's moves doesn't make them awkward. Ridley, though... In some ways, he just doesn't fit the roster, at least the way it is now. Something I can't quite put my finger on... Something he just doesn't have going for him that the entire current roster does...

I really don't think Dyna Blade's going to happen, but I see what you're getting at. Ridley'd hopefully play like a non-fat Charizard, only with more range, which would be a bit strange by itself...but really, not so much that they'd have to include a so-similar character like Dyna to compensate.
As long as you see what I'm getting at. Like I said, it's probably just the Kirby fanatic in me kicking Dyna Blade in there.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I didn't say it should reduce his chances of making it. I just said he'd feel awkward at first. Maybe I'm the only one, but I think a Ridley small enough to fit comfortably in Smash would feel strange, if only for a little while. Especially after he's been a boss character, making him playable may take some getting used to. At least, I think so.
I don't think so. In the original Super Mario Bros., Bowser was about four times the size of normal Mario. And personally, after the giant Bowser in Mario 64, I found it really, really weird at first to play as such a small Bowser in Melee.

It'd be weird, sure, but only for a few hours. We'd all get used to it, and all would be right with the world.

Bomberman is the shiznit. Don't you try to tell me otherwise. Ever.
Bomberman is not the shiznit. :lick:

And none of those characters felt awkward for me at all, except for possibly R.O.B., but he's just a weirdie. Just because you have to learn a character's moves doesn't make them awkward. Ridley, though... In some ways, he just doesn't fit the roster, at least the way it is now. Something I can't quite put my finger on... Something he just doesn't have going for him that the entire current roster does...
Meta took a while to click with me, as did Olimar, Snake (especially Snake), Dedede, R.O.B., and Falco. But that's inconsequential.

I know what you're getting at with Ridley. Sure, he's the most prominent boss in the Metrod series, but...he really doesn't do much, right? He shows up once or twice, attacks Samus, and is defeated. No nefarious plots, no dastardly schemes, no dark machinations...and perhaps worst of all: very little personality. Heck, in the Prime series, he's nothing more than a tool used by the Space Pirates/Dark Samus.

...But still, Ridley for SSB4. He'd be fun to use, and Metroid needs more repz'.

EDIT - HOLY F*CK GUYS. CHRONO TRIGGER ON DS--http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
I think ridley would work. The main arguments against him have been that he's too big, and that he's too awkward. Well nintendo has already shown that they can make a dragon like character work (charizard) and flying characters work (pit, mk, chari) and they have no problem resizing characters (bowser, olimar, kirby). Plus metroid needs more reps.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Some ideas for a Metroid rep that wouldn't need a lot of resizing...

- Dark Samus
- Space Pirate
- Rundus
- Sylux
- Omega Metroid

Just some ideas...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Some ideas for a Metroid rep that wouldn't need a lot of resizing...

- Dark Samus
- Space Pirate
- Rundus
- Sylux
- Omega Metroid

Just some ideas...
I'm for Dark Samus, but as a clone character, so I don't think it's realistic to expect Dark Samus to take the place of a totally new Metroid character. Ideally, we'd get Ridley and DS.

The Space Pirate...is just a generic enemy. It'd be good to see them show up in the new adventure mode, but not as actual characters.

The Hunters...are an odd bunch. Of the eight there are, I think we can cross out Spire, Trace, and Weevil(sp?) for total, blatant generic-ness. Noxus, Sylux, and Kanden are okay (Sylux probably has the best chance of those three). The Corruption hunters are all much cooler than the original five in my opinion, and of them, Rundas is probably the best choice (plus, I'd DIE for Christpher Sabat to be associated in some way with Smash Bros.).

But really, I think all of them are better suited for ATs. Hunters DS was a terrible Metroid game (great Quake-style multiplayer, but horrible single-player), and Corruption's hunters are all pretty small-scale villains. That's my stance on that.

Finally, isn't the Omega Metroid the thing you fight at the end of Fusion? If so...all I can say is, "wtf?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom