• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Something needs to happen to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I disagree about the Adventure mode--it's fine like it is in SSE, it just needs more polish. Sure, it'd be fun to visit every franchise's universe during the course of the game, but it's not necessary. After all, isn't the whole overarching idea behind the Smash Bros. series that all these characters are just trophies brought to life? They can keep the whole "generic Smash Bros. world", with all the floating coliseums and random caves you can stomach, they just need a better storyline.

One that could involve all these "trophies" banding together to chase down some all-powerful evil force, and perhaps visiting the dimension where the characters they represent actually exist. Crazy.
Before I get flamed, please excuse as I am a fanfiction writer (meaning I'm insane).

It's a common theme in fanfictions that there is a mansion, owned by Master and Crazy Hand, where all the smashers come from all there worlds to compete in fighting competitions. Seeing as the current SSE proved that Master Hand wasn't evil and was just being controlled by Tabuu, this could happen but probably not.

This way, we could get the opening of the game as tournament battles then evolve into a larger platformer story from there.

@Daisy-fan

No. Daisy should be an alternate costume for Peach, definately, but not deserving of her own character.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not really...but Sakurai already came out and said that characters such as those in Animal Crossing or Nintendogs don't really fit the fighting type. So I don't see them being playable any time soon.
Sakurai has dumb logic. Does R.O.B. seem like the fighting type to you?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Well, I don't know about the rest of you... But my Animal Crosser is soooo a fighter... All I do when I play that game is smack people with the net... And work on perfecting the timing to hit them with the axe...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
why does everybody firget about dixie kong?
As much as I agree with you that DK needs more reps regardless, Dixie is greatly over-shadowed by King K. Rool, as he has been in every DK game Dixie has plus more.

Also, his moveset potential is through the roof, and his being a heavy-weight and a villain also gives him a leg up over Dixie.

Although if I were making Smash 4, and adding like 60 characters, I'd give DK all 5 of the hopefuls (DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, and Funky (Yeah, I can make a good moveset for him, can you?)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai has dumb logic. Does R.O.B. seem like the fighting type to you?
The point is that it's out of place for someone from Animal crossing to be a fighter. It's a slower and more laid back game, one where a fighter would seem out of place.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
With the inclusion of third party characters in Brawl, I'd like to see Chrono thrown into the mix... and Little Mac as a playable character.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Imaginations run wild. @_@ I like reasonable thinking but not where people think anything can happen. This is reality and money talks big time or where friendships soars through the roof.

Like I already pointed out, we need newcomers from recently released or future new IPs and I'm hoping some of those fresh characters come into the fray. And I say only the most deserving deserve to be playable and some assists should just stay as assists.

WhalesOnStilts

Smash Cadet
Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid should be a character.

B: Hand gesture
Down B: He fakes being possed by Liquid and his moves change (Will add later)
Side B: Triple cross. He totally owns everyone.
Up B: He shoots himself with his revolver to recover.
I lol'd.

10spoilers

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The point is that it's out of place for someone from Animal crossing to be a fighter. It's a slower and more laid back game, one where a fighter would seem out of place.
I still think that's a dumb reason. Everything in Smash is out of place.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SkylerOcon said:
Before I get flamed, please excuse as I am a fanfiction writer (meaning I'm insane).

It's a common theme in fanfictions that there is a mansion, owned by Master and Crazy Hand, where all the smashers come from all there worlds to compete in fighting competitions. Seeing as the current SSE proved that Master Hand wasn't evil and was just being controlled by Tabuu, this could happen but probably not.

This way, we could get the opening of the game as tournament battles then evolve into a larger platformer story from there.
Well, Master Hand was probably always evil, it's just that Tabuu showed up in Brawl and messed with things. But yeah, I see where you're going.

Really, there's alot of potential for story within the franchise...they just need to let someone who's actually written stories of action games to do it, instead of a has-been Final Fantasy scriptwriter.

Anyways...

Animal Crossing could and should be in Brawl. Really, think about how much fighting Olimar does. Or, as already stated, R.O.B.. Game & Watch? Come on. It's just silly to think that Animal Crossing is "too laid back" for Smash Bros. Have none of you ever heard of the Raccoon Goons?

And for the love of God, people--it's "Crono". There's no "h" in the guy's name.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Really, there's alot of potential for story within the franchise...they just need to let someone who's actually written stories of action games to do it, instead of a has-been Final Fantasy scriptwriter.
Who do you think should write the plot next time? By the way, Sakurai also worked on the plot as well for the SSE which probably explains why it failed.

I think that the next storyline should have talking where appropriate along with Master Hand being the villain or possibly Crazy Hand, if not both.

I also think that maybe the cutscenes should be done in traditional anime. I think these would look pretty neat and might take up less space on the disc (I'm guessing here). Assuming that they take up less space, we can have a longer story.

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
Newcommers: Viewtiful Joe, Ray Man, Bomber-man, Pac-man, Banjo- Kazooie, Spyro, Midna w/ wolf Link, and Crash Bandicoot.
Delete: R.O.B, (no offence to R.O.B mainers) but I think he is one of the worst characters on there. Toon Link has got to go too and should be replaced with Midna and WL...
Yoshi needs to have a Black and/or White Costume
Better online play, more stage parts, Saria's Song needs to be on a Zelda Stage, and you should be able to somehow upload music from CD's to your wii and put them on Custom Brawl Stages....

Just my 2 cents....

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Who do you think should write the plot next time? By the way, Sakurai also worked on the plot as well for the SSE which probably explains why it failed.

I think that the next storyline should have talking where appropriate along with Master Hand being the villain or possibly Crazy Hand, if not both.

I also think that maybe the cutscenes should be done in traditional anime. I think these would look pretty neat and might take up less space on the disc (I'm guessing here). Assuming that they take up less space, we can have a longer story.
Voice acting is...a touchy subject. If you have it at all, it makes everyone who doesn't talk look extremely out of place, and considering this game has some of the most infamously-close-mouthed characters in the videogame universe as it's star players...things could get ugly. Text might be acceptable, but really, I prefer the charades and pantomimes for a game like this.

As for the animation: yeah, that stuff takes up more space than CGI does, although I don't see why we have to do that, either. Why can't they just use the in-game engine to render the cutscenes? It's certianly pretty enough.

Sakurai probably had some say in it, but he wasn't ever seriously involved. More of a "check and see" guy, if you know what I mean. Anyway, Kazushige Nojima's the guy who wrote the SSE, and I'll let Wikipedia tell you why he was not the man for the job:

Wikipedia said:
He is best known for writing parts of Square Enix's Final Fantasy video game series, namely Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2 and also the entire Kingdom Hearts series. Nojima also wrote the original lyrics of Liberi Fatali for Final Fantasy VIII and both Suteki da Ne and the Hymn of the Fayth for Final Fantasy X.
...So in other words, he's the guy who made Final Fantasy into the whiny, meta-existential mind-f*ck it is today. I love the Kingdom Hearts games, but definitely not for their ridiculously stupid plots. If the combat wasn't so darn fun, and the RPG mechanics so sound, I wouldn't touch them either.

Personally, I'd like to see Hideki Kamiya, of Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami fame, work on it. Though if we're really stretching here, I'd ultimately like to see what happened with music in Brawl happen with writing in SSB4--they need to get all of the big game writers together to collaborate on the game. This'd be even cooler if each character had their own storyline, and they all interwove (think Sonic Adventure): Shigesato Itoi would handle all the Mother characters, Kojima could do Snake, and Aonuma could do the Zelda characters. How amazing would that be?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Newcommers: Viewtiful Joe, Ray Man, Bomber-man, Pac-man, Banjo- Kazooie, Spyro, Midna w/ wolf Link, and Crash Bandicoot.
out of this list I believe we would probably most likely see Bomberman or Midna, although Spyro and Crash do sound interesting though

Better online play, more stage parts, Saria's Song needs to be on a Zelda Stage, and you should be able to somehow upload music from CD's to your wii and put them on Custom Brawl Stages....

exactly, we should definetly have around 40 to 50 stages plus be able to upload our own songs from our CD to Wii which I can't understand why he couldn't to this for Brawl, plus for custom stages they should have added the regular stages so they could have been edited to our preference

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
exactly, we should definetly have around 40 to 50 stages plus be able to upload our own songs from our CD to Wii which I can't understand why he couldn't to this for Brawl, plus for custom stages they should have added the regular stages so they could have been edited to our preference
Well, there's a pretty good reason why we can't do that: I don't think Nintendo wants to see their brainchildren duking it out to flavor-of-the-week pop music.

It just doesn't fit. If you so desperately want to see Mario and Link beat on each other to a Linkin Park song...well, that's what AMVs are for, right?

Anyway, we already have over 40 stages in Brawl. And there's no way we'll ever be allowed to change the actual stages "to our preference". What exactly would you change, anyways?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Well, there's a pretty good reason why we can't do that: I don't think Nintendo wants to see their brainchildren duking it out to flavor-of-the-week pop music.

It just doesn't fit. If you so desperately want to see Mario and Link beat on each other to a Linkin Park song...well, that's what AMVs are for, right?

Anyway, we already have over 40 stages in Brawl. And there's no way we'll ever be allowed to change the actual stages "to our preference". What exactly would you change, anyways?
He's on Smashboards. He'd delete every stage except for Final Destination.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Voice acting is...a touchy subject. If you have it at all, it makes everyone who doesn't talk look extremely out of place, and considering this game has some of the most infamously-close-mouthed characters in the videogame universe as it's star players...things could get ugly. Text might be acceptable, but really, I prefer the charades and pantomimes for a game like this.
This might sound weird, but what if every character's speaking method was like their original games? It would definitely emphasize the crossover.

Personally, I'd like to see Hideki Kamiya, of Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami fame, work on it. Though if we're really stretching here, I'd ultimately like to see what happened with music in Brawl happen with writing in SSB4--they need to get all of the big game writers together to collaborate on the game. This'd be even cooler if each character had their own storyline, and they all interwove (think Sonic Adventure): Shigesato Itoi would handle all the Mother characters, Kojima could do Snake, and Aonuma could do the Zelda characters. How amazing would that be?
I would love to see this. Every series would have their own storyline and the characters face their own problems until they collide with another's problem. How would this work with a series that has only one character in or they haven't had a sequel in years. Would you have to merge some series together in some of the storylines. For example, you could merge Startropics and MOTHER together or F-Zero, Metroid, and Starfox all togther.

As for the creators/leaders calling the shots on the storylines, I would love that and that should also apply to the trophies next time. Waaaay too many errors that weren't localization errors.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
He's on Smashboards. He'd delete every stage except for Final Destination.
O SNAP

KumaOso said:
This might sound weird, but what if every character's speaking method was like their original games? It would definitely emphasize the crossover.
Like Tom Nook speaking in "animalese" with the distinct Animal Crossing word bubble, Link just grunting and shouting, and Fox talking normally.

It could work, but...I mean, in Mother, Ness/Lucas don't speak, they just..."text". But in Smash, they quite clearly communicate vocally. So where do you draw the line with that sort of thing?

How would this work with a series that has only one character in or they haven't had a sequel in years. Would you have to merge some series together in some of the storylines. For example, you could merge Startropics and MOTHER together or F-Zero, Metroid, and Starfox all togther.
I don't think your first objection really matters. So what if Pit hasn't had a game in over a decade, and he's the only real character from his world? His adventure mode would consist of an abridged journey through the Underworld and Angel Land, collecting the three sacred treasures (at first, he couldn't use his B, down B, or up B, even), finally fighting Medusa, but just as he's about to strie the final blow, Medusa zaps him with a "Subspace Ray" that transports him to the Smash Bros. world, where he fights Tabuu (or some other, cooler and less stupid "boss").

Everyone else would follow this basic format (though in bigger series, like StarFox, characters would team up during their adventures in their own universes), and once you've gotten every character to the Smash world, you have to fight Tabuu's (or whoever else's) second form, and when you beat that, he uses his crazy red rings to send everyone into random universes. So now you have to guide Pit out of, say, the F-ZERO world, and Mario and Luigi have to escape Zebes, or something.

So it'd go on like that for a while, until something happens (Master Hand helps you, or whatever) that lets you finally beat Tabuu--so you guide everyone back to Smash World, and youuse your new powers to beat him and set everything as it should be.

So there, a perfectly acceptable, and much cooler storyline. Made in just under seven minutes!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think a line would have to be drawn regarding text. I think it should be included for emphasis on the crossover.

As for that storyline, that is automatically better than the SSE storyline which is good for only AMVs.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I don't think a line would have to be drawn regarding text. I think it should be included for emphasis on the crossover.
Well, what I mean is, when Lucas says something, is a text box just going to present his point? Or is he going to make some noises, too? And then there's the issue of text boxes in action games to begin with.

By definition, the things are really only good for RPGs, where lots of information has to be sent and received with little resources, which must be conserved for the overall length of the game. But a text box showing up in the middle of a cut-scene in the SSE would be highly out of place.

It's a real serious decision.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Well, what I mean is, when Lucas says something, is a text box just going to present his point? Or is he going to make some noises, too? And then there's the issue of text boxes in action games to begin with.

By definition, the things are really only good for RPGs, where lots of information has to be sent and received with little resources, which must be conserved for the overall length of the game. But a text box showing up in the middle of a cut-scene in the SSE would be highly out of place.

That would actually be pretty funny. Out of place isn't really a bad thing. Having all the franchises together in a game like this, having that happen feels like it would enhance the feeling of Smash, being what it is: A bunch of Nintendo characters put together in a fighting game.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.

With a game like Smash, this presents a problem. There are certain characters that don't talk or communicate with grunting or some other gestures (Link, DK, ect.). I think that certain characters wouldn't be able to speak, forcing certain character match-ups. Maybe, the characters who don't speak in their games a new voice (Ness, Lucas, ect.) and for others, just use body motions or gestures (Diddy, King Dedede, ect.).
There are many posibilities that could be done.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
With a game like Smash, this presents a problem. There are certain characters that don't talk or communicate with grunting or some other gestures (Link, DK, ect.). I think that certain characters wouldn't be able to speak, forcing certain character match-ups. Maybe, the characters who don't speak in their games a new voice (Ness, Lucas, ect.) and for others, just use body motions or gestures (Diddy, King Dedede, ect.).
There are many posibilities that could be done.
actually just having text-boxes pop out wouldn't be to much of a problem for me anyway, but I guess they could have voices only for those who actually speak like Sonic, Snake, Ike etc... and text boxes or like you said gestures for the rest of the cast that doesn't necessarily speak

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Well...IF SSB4 happens...

I love some of the newcomers like King Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario, and Olimar. I really hope they remain as regulars it just feels like it'd be incomplete without them. I got tired of Kirby always being alone.

I also hope Snake sticks around, it's just so much fun having him in with this roster. Even if his story in the MG saga is over now Snake's just awesome. I really hope he may have alternate outfits next time to represent his MGS look, MGS2 look (like here), Old Snake, or Big Boss. One of those or all of the above. I'm not a big Sonic fan but he'll probably stick around I'm guessing.

I think considering the amount of attention Sonic and Snake got, and the multi platform direction the whole gaming scene is going towards I think it's very safe to say that we'll see more third parties. This is a guess of course but I think it's a sensible direction. I got my share of ideas...but I don't want this to be yet another character wish-list post.

Gameplay wise I think a logical next step would be to add the B button to the list of things you can do when you grab someone. Everyone could have their own distinct B-throw move. Of course this is assuming they'll try to balance but it seems like a good add to throw in. Also getting anal here, but they gotta address the hitstun thing. I didn't think it was a big deal at first but after a few months now I see how silly it makes things. I say a good way to go about it is to make certain moves stun you for longer periods of time, while others not so much and it also depends on the character. Some characters may even have no stunning moves. I think if that were done right it could possibly fix a lot of balance issues.

Also I like the idea of a not so humdrum adventure mode like what Brawl tried. I think next time it'd be cool if they tried something different than "lol they're all trophies" though. I once heard a funny idea that was -supposedly- concepted (I don't know if it's true or not so if you know I'd be interested in hearing.) about the characters going around on some bus, that I assume goes to different worlds. It's almost Earthbound quirky, I love it. Even if you have another idea though you catch my drift.

Other than that off the top of my head...the usual little things. A Koopa Kids+Jr assist trophy would be awesome as would a Tails AT that saves you one time if you fall off the stage, and if we get Capcom in on this there has to be a Pheonix Wright AT.

Also I don't want them to give up on online, there's much that can be improved.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
actually just having text-boxes pop out wouldn't be to much of a problem for me anyway, but I guess they could have voices only for those who actually speak like Sonic, Snake, Ike etc... and text boxes or like you said gestures for the rest of the cast that doesn't necessarily speak
"Those who know what they're talking about and have their own dialogue talk,
Those who don't should just shut up and get text-boxes"- Tyfighter (not a poser, but a man),2008

See what I did there?

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
They should just make Link talk in the next Zelda. He ruins every epic moment the series has ever had because he just grunts and stuff. Like at the end of Twilight Princess when he sees Midna in her true form, he makes this sound that sounds like he's taking a breath after drinking a tall glass of milk.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They should just make Link talk in the next Zelda. He ruins every epic moment the series has ever had because he just grunts and stuff. Like at the end of Twilight Princess when he sees Midna in her true form, he makes this sound that sounds like he's taking a breath after drinking a tall glass of milk.
That's trespassing on tradition. I want voice acting in future Zelda games, but maybe the farthest Link should go is where Mario is : Some words here and there, but nothing major.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
That's trespassing on tradition. I want voice acting in future Zelda games, but maybe the farthest Link should go is where Mario is : Some words here and there, but nothing major.
I think Link saying only a few lines would be great. When somone asks what his name is he'll say it. Or if somone asks him any question at all he'll awnser it with an actual awnser and not "hmmeeeh...."

Personally, I don't care if it's breaking a tradition. It'd be like saying Kenneth Baker (best video game character ever) should not be in Smash Bros. 4 because it would be breaking tradition.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
i personally love rpg's and would love to see the rpg style powering up/leveling up systems worked into the next smash. Like the more you use a character the more they level up and you can add stats, like better jumping ability or more attack power or higher running or attack speed. Just an i dea. But thinking again i don't know how well that could be implemented in a smash game. thoughts anyone?

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
NOOOO........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw

Link talking is a big no no.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
CD-I wasn't made by Nintendo so it doesn't count.

Link does ruin every moment in his game by not talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom