• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
That reminds me. I remember that Japanese Smash fans weren't too happy about Sonic's inclusion in Brawl (they think he's a washed up has-been), I wonder what they think of him now that he turned out to be a pretty poorly designed fighter?
Wow. Mental images of Sonic being burned in effigy in a fanboy's apartment... this is Crash Bandicoot all over again!

Oh, now there's a good choice for a Sonic replacement!

Yes, I am kidding, although at least he may have a moveset that wouldn't suck.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind that Crash was in SSB4. he's not what he used to be, but he was still a part of Nintendo's history. Besides, they could use some moves from both Crash eras and it could probably work well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind that Crash was in SSB4. he's not what he used to be, but he was still a part of Nintendo's history. Besides, they could use some moves from both Crash eras and it could probably work well.
Crash is an even bigger wash-up than Sonic. At least Sonic had decent games for more than one console generation, and keep in mind this is coming from a big fan of the Genesis Sonics.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
How about Shigeru Miyamoto for SSB4?
Either him or Jesus, that'd be cool!
WIN

Anyways, on the Sonic topic, actually Sonic and Snake could leave for SSB4, and not return, depends on how good both the MGS and Sonic games end up (Snake, on the other side, may be gone for good, since MGS4 is his last game).

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
(Snake, on the other side, may be gone for good, since MGS4 is his last game).
I fail to see the relevance. Metal Gear Solid 2 wasn't even on a Nintendo system and Metal Gear Solid 4 weren't even ON Nintendo consoles, and stuff from those games made it in. How many times has Ganon or Bowser died/been defeated? Sigurd, who died in his Fire Emblem, was supposed to be in Smash Bros 64 and Melee, but was cut out (NOT because he died in his game).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I fail to see the relevance. Metal Gear Solid 2 wasn't even on a Nintendo system and Metal Gear Solid 4 weren't even ON Nintendo consoles, and stuff from those games made it in. How many times has Ganon or Bowser died/been defeated? Sigurd, who died in his Fire Emblem, was supposed to be in Smash Bros 64 and Melee, but was cut out (NOT because he died in his game).
No, there is no evidence that Sigurd was ever planned for Melee. Also even if a FE4 character were considered to be Marth's clone partner, it probably would have been Celice since he got double the votes over Sigurd for the official Melee poll.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
No, there is no evidence that Sigurd was ever planned for Melee. Also even if a FE4 character were considered to be Marth's clone partner, it probably would have been Celice since he got double the votes over Sigurd for the official Melee poll.
Sigurd was planned for 64 but cut because Sakurai felt that with Link using a sword and the sword beam item, another sword user would be too redundant (how ironic). Sigurd and Marth were going to be in Melee, but Nintendo urged Roy onto Sakurai, who cut Sigurd in favor of the first lord and the most recent lord in the same game together. Marth was to be the clone of Sigurd.

Speaking of Fire emblem, it'd be an absolute dream come true if all FE references except to Marth and Roy were removed. Same for all Pokemon past second gen, Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime. Of course, it's never gonna happen, but I can always hope :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sigurd was planned for 64 but cut because Sakurai felt that with Link using a sword and the sword beam item, another sword user would be too redundant (how ironic). Sigurd and Marth were going to be in Melee, but Nintendo urged Roy onto Sakurai, who cut Sigurd in favor of the first lord and the most recent lord in the same game together.

Speaking of Fire emblem, it'd be an absolute dream come true if all FE references except to Marth and Roy were removed. Same for all Pokemon past second gen, Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime. Of course, it's never gonna happen, but I can always hope :)
I heard about Mewtwo, King Dedede, and Bowser being planned for the original but not Sigurd (or any Fire Emblem character for that matter).

Also, in the official Japanese poll, Sigurd's son (Celice) received twice as many votes as Sigurd did (however, Marth had more than double the amount of votes Celice got).

Also, unlike in Brawl, in the game's debug menu, there is no listing for unfinished characters (unless they are hidden somewhere else on the disc).

Unless you have a link that Sigurd was planned for the original and Melee, I suggest only taking it as a rumor.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Sigurd was planned for 64 but cut because Sakurai felt that with Link using a sword and the sword beam item, another sword user would be too redundant (how ironic). Sigurd and Marth were going to be in Melee, but Nintendo urged Roy onto Sakurai, who cut Sigurd in favor of the first lord and the most recent lord in the same game together. Marth was to be the clone of Sigurd.

Sigurd was not planned, but requested by many people.

Ironically, FE4/5 has no representation at all in Brawl...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I heard about Mewtwo, King Dedede, and Bowser being planned for the original but not Sigurd (or any Fire Emblem character for that matter).
He never made it into programming him into the game, he was just one of the considered characters. Mewtwo was one of four Pokemon chosen to be the second rep but lost to Jiggly, Sakurai didn't want to make it look like he was biased towards his series and excluded Dedede, and Bowser just didn't make it. This was in a link when the first "Sigurd for Brawl" thread came along back in 2006, so it's long gone now.

Oh well, it doesn't matter, Fire Emblem is a load of crock anyway :/

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
Personaly, I think that any older FE characters don't really have a purpose in Smash. When they make another smash, they'll be using a more recent FE character, and hopefully will have enough sense to NOT HAVE ANOTHER SWORD USER!

I'm not saying that I don't want a Sigurd or a Celice in smash, but realistically I don't believe that they will make the cut... there are too many other characters from Nintendo's history that would make the cut as a "retro" character before any FE lord.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personaly, I think that any older FE characters don't really have a purpose in Smash. When they make another smash, they'll be using a more recent FE character, and hopefully will have enough sense to NOT HAVE ANOTHER SWORD USER!

I'm not saying that I don't want a Sigurd or a Celice in smash, but realistically I don't believe that they will make the cut... there are too many other characters from Nintendo's history that would make the cut as a "retro" character before any FE lord.
Personally, I think Celice should show up as an alt costume for Marth just so that FE4/5 gets a representative. I also want Roy to return.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Crash was Nintendo history? I always thoguht his main games were mre on Sony's side... I do remember a few GBA games for him though. And if he was in, Spyro would make sense--seeing as the two even switched games didnt' they??

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Who said that Smash was about Nintendo history. The game is about Nintendo all-stars, which relates to both iconic/historic characters, AND the current and future Nintendo gaming stars.
Yes, thank you.

Star Fox has been going downhill ever since Krystal was introduced. Coincidence?
Blame Nintendo for wanting to turn the random Dinosaur Planet into a Star Fox series game. Without that decision, Krystal might not have even made it into the storyline at all. Assault wasn't bad at all, it was just way too short and had a few little camera and control issues. I've never played Command, but I'm pretty sure most of the people here haven't either. I know that people still think that 64 is the best game in the series and some think that Krystal is just annoying, but the character has nothing to do with what people think is "the downfall of Star Fox."

And one last thing: If Krystal is going to be one of the frontrunners of the next game representing old franchises, then Sakurai or whoever's in charge will certainly not make her into a clone. Think about it.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
How about Shigeru Miyamoto for SSB4?
Either him or Jesus, that'd be cool!
Jesus has been in Smash since the first game.Captain Falcon anyone?
Anyway,I just hope you have King.K.Rool in your smash 4 proyect ChronoBound.
He and Ridley are my most wanted characters in Smash 4.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I have no qualms with Roy's return if an original moveset is implemented. I would love as many games as possible to be included in smash... just its unlikely...
They really should be reaching out for more of their series instead of the ones that print money. Wave Race used to be ****ing huge, but now nobody knows about it. It's a shame, it's one of Nintendo's better franchises. Wave Race 64 > F-Zero X. Sucks that the Wii rumors turned out to be false. I made a moveset for Ryota from Wave Race, but it's long gone with the rest of the "For Brawl" character threads. I should remake it, people thought it was kinda iffy. Made one for Kensuke from the 1080 series as well that I kinda remember.

It won't happen, Nintendo's no longer cool like that.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That reminds me. I remember that Japanese Smash fans weren't too happy about Sonic's inclusion in Brawl (they think he's a washed up has-been), I wonder what they think of him now that he turned out to be a pretty poorly designed fighter?
I have never understood why people say Sonic's moveset sucked.

Besides his forward Smash, all of his moves were spins and kicks, which is what he should be doing. He shouldn't be doing some kind of crazy out there attack. He should be jumping, spinning and kicking becuase that is the embodiment of Sonic. He has a lot of personality, like his down throw spin dash, the up throw where he places foes on his spikes or his spring. He is all about spinning and kicking, and that's what he does. The only complaint I could justify would be that his side B and Down B are almost the same.

As Dr. Rabbit once said,

YES!
I actually agree with KumaOso for once. Krystal has nothing to do with it. In fact, she's pretty much a scape goat. The true reason is becuase everyone has done it wrong. Starfox 64 was the last Starfox game to be made in house. The other were made by everyone else.

Also, I don't know what Command gets such a bad rap. It was actually a good game. It was about flying, used the touch screen well, and all the additions made sence (although tactical battles got boring).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
They really should be reaching out for more of their series instead of the ones that print money. Wave Race used to be ****ing huge, but now nobody knows about it. It's a shame, it's one of Nintendo's better franchises. Wave Race 64 > F-Zero X. Sucks that the Wii rumors turned out to be false. I made a moveset for Ryota from Wave Race, but it's long gone with the rest of the "For Brawl" character threads. I should remake it, people thought it was kinda iffy. Made one for Kensuke from the 1080 series as well that I kinda remember.
Actually, I liked F-Zero X better than Wave Race. But, Wave Race was still awesome and Nintendo needs to revive it. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that if the press ever asks about it, they'll tell us to play the wave racing minigame in Wii Sports resort.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I agree with you, smash needs a healthy dose of villains to spice things up. I'm thinking Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, Vaati, Black Shadow, Bowser Jr, and Petey Pirahna to name a few.
Pokey/Porky from the Mother series would be nice also.
Because Giygas would be to extreme,and because he doesnt even have a body.
And hes the bad guy for 2 of the Mother games,it would be interesting to see his moveset.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Actually, I liked F-Zero X better than Wave Race. But, Wave Race was still awesome and Nintendo needs to revive it. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that if the press ever asks about it, they'll tell us to play the wave racing minigame in Wii Sports resort.
Or do that Airplane minigame thing in one of their "Wii *blanks*" instead of reviving Pilotwings :(

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you, smash needs a healthy dose of villains to spice things up. I'm thinking Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, Vaati, Black Shadow, Bowser Jr, and Petey Pirahna to name a few.
They probably won't put Mewtwo or Petey Pirahna in, because Mewtwo was in Melee, and they probably won't bring back anyone that they left out from Melee in Brawl.

Petey Pirahna probably won't make it in, because Petey made an appearance in SSE as a boss. So if they were to make Petey into a character, they'd have to shrink his size, which might baffle some players with Brawl as their first game, because they'd think of other choices instead of Petey Pirahna.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Mewtwo
K. Rool
Ridley
Bowser
Ganondorf
Dedede (although like Meta Knight it's debatable, people seem more inclined to view him evil)

I need to look at my Nintendo resources, but I can't think of many right now. Wario went from Villain to anti-hero to Whatever the **** he does at Wario Ware. Meta Knight isn't so much a villain anymore as he is a rival, and occasional hero. Dark Samus and Black Knight are as boring as all hell, and Bowser Jr. is one of the stupidest characters in any game.

Even if it's only a boss in adventure mode, or even a mere enemy, there is one villain Nintendo needs to revive desperately.

Of course, Nintendo would rather us play Wii Sports' boxing instead of brinning back Punch-Out!! God Nintendo, remember the good old days?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Crash was Nintendo history? I always thoguht his main games were mre on Sony's side... I do remember a few GBA games for him though. And if he was in, Spyro would make sense--seeing as the two even switched games didnt' they??
Well, I meant that Crash has history in terms of being a rival during the PS1 era. Anyway, his games have appeared on Nintendo consoles since.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Just to clarify for all the people who have no Kirby expirience, Meta-Knight is the anti-hero of the Kirby series. Just like Wolf, you can claim him to be either good or evil.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Villains shouldn't be a focus, and really should only be implemented if they are iconic, like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede. (If you count him anyways) The game is about the stars fighting each other, not against their standard enemies. =/

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Villains shouldn't be a focus, and really should only be implemented if they are iconic, like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede. (If you count him anyways) The game is about the stars fighting each other, not against their standard enemies. =/
Here are the villains that deserve a spot in Smash Bros.:

Ridley
K. Rool
Black Shadow
Mewtwo (if you count him as a villain)

I shouldn't have to explain any of these characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Pokey/Porky from the Mother series would be nice also.
Because Giygas would be to extreme,and because he doesnt even have a body.
And hes the bad guy for 2 of the Mother games,it would be interesting to see his moveset.
I don't think Porky would be a good choice. He's too wide imo and seems like he would be rather clunky. I think Claus would be a good alternate though.

Technically speaking, Porky was Claus for a while.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Here are the villains that deserve a spot in Smash Bros.:

Ridley
K. Rool
Black Shadow
Mewtwo (if you count him as a villain)

I shouldn't have to explain any of these characters.
Ridley sure

K.Rool is pretty generic and bland overall. He has a good chance, but I really can't stand how horrible a character he is.

Black Shadow....You really need to explain that one to me. He wasn't really a villain in X, and was a lacky in GX. Plus he has no moves, and virtually no personality.

Adding Mewtwo is a step back in terms of the Pokemon series's progression, and....well he's not a villain in the games. <_<

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
I remember that Japanese Smash fans weren't too happy about Sonic's inclusion in Brawl (they think he's a washed up has-been), I wonder what they think of him now that he turned out to be a pretty poorly designed fighter?
Do you have any support/links? I could definatly understand this, as Sonic recieved most of his popularity from the West. Who knows? We could see the last of both Snake and Sonic from Smash. (though Snake has a much better chance of staying, even though the Metal Gear series has discontinued with him)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Do you have any support/links? I could definatly understand this, as Sonic recieved most of his popularity from the West. Who knows? We could see the last of both Snake and Sonic from Smash. (though Snake has a much better chance of staying, even though the Metal Gear series has discontinued with him)
Metal Gear SOLID is done with. That does not mean that there will be anymore Metal Gear games at all. Although if there really are no more Metal Gear games, MGS 4 was quite a way to go out in style.

Adding Mewtwo is a step back in terms of the Pokemon series's progression, and....well he's not a villain in the games. <_<
If it means removing Lucario in favor of any pokemon, it's a step forward. Unless the Pokemon is like, Blaziken or something.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I don't think Porky would be a good choice. He's too wide imo and seems like he would be rather clunky. I think Claus would be a good alternate though.

Technically speaking, Porky was Claus for a while.
Ness in hsi game was described as fat,and hes the slowest person in his party.

Not to mention Lucas' is also the slowest person in his game,but hes shown as a fast speedy type in Brawl.

I've tried to avoid teh least amout of spoielrs in Mother 3 plot,and I only know one.

MOTHER 3 MAJOR SPOILERS.
Masker man is Claus
So I cant really say about "Porky being Claus"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ness in hsi game was described as fat,and hes the slowest person in his party.

Not to mention Lucas' is also the slowest person in his game,but hes shown as a fast speedy type in Brawl.

I've tried to avoid teh least amout of spoielrs in Mother 3 plot,and I only know one.

MOTHER 3 MAJOR SPOILERS.
Masker man is Claus
So I cant really say about "Porky being Claus"
Well, neither of the MOTHER kids are that fast in particular, imo. Anyway, let me explain the whole thing in a giant spoiler tag. Note, I haven't played the game, but I've run into rampant spoilers that has allowed me to know parts of the game.

Claus' (possibly dead) body was found by Porky and decided to make him his slave since he and Lucas are the only ones capable of pulling the needles. Claus was made into the Masked Man cyborg and Porky had total control over him.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Well, neither of the MOTHER kids are that fast in particular, imo. Anyway, let me explain the whole thing in a giant spoiler tag. Note, I haven't played the game, but I've run into rampant spoilers that has allowed me to know parts of the game.

Claus' (possibly dead) body was found by Porky and decided to make him his slave since he and Lucas are the only ones capable of pulling the needles. Claus was made into the Masked Man cyborg and Porky had total control over him.
Lucas is somehat fast.

I refuse to look at thsoe spoilers,im waiting till teh Mother 3 fan translation is done.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Lucas is somehat fast.

I refuse to look at thsoe spoilers,im waiting till teh Mother 3 fan translation is done.
Be glad that I put it in spoiler tags. They were simply an offering that you could take or leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom