• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I don't think it justificates anything at all. They are stil guests since they have their origin in other series, and don't beling to Nintendo, since Super Smash Brothers used to be a Nintendo All-Stars characters. And Snake and Sonic are NOT from Nintendo.

:/
Hopefully that clears some things up. :)

Also, Mario has a different origin series than Samus. I don't see your point.

EDIT - I was trying to figure out why so many people recently seem to think that Sonic and Snake will be cut, if for no other reason that the (arbitrary) "they are guest characters".

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Chief Mendez said:
I really think you should seek professional optometrical help. Ther just has to be something wrong with your eyes...:ohwell:
Perhaps he's using the actual word, and not implying it's your name (which is still strange, because first of all, it's an adjective, and second, he's capitalizing it all the time).

By the way, Mendez, your new location is causing my browser great horizontal difficulty...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Hasn't Sakurai referred to Sonic & Snake as Guest characters himself? I know I read that in an interview, but there's been so many interviews with him!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
....O RLY? And why is that?
Well...see, I don't want to embarrass you in front of everyone or anything but...well, you've...kind of been confusing me with someone else. :ohwell:

Everyone else is just too nice to say anything, but...well, if I didn't set you straight, you'd just keep on making a fool of yourself. You can thank me later.

SirKibble said:
Perhaps he's using the actual word, and not implying it's your name (which is still strange, because first of all, it's an adjective, and second, he's capitalizing it all the time).
In which case he's probably clinically insane, and we're all in terrible, terrible danger.

flyinfilipino said:
Weren't you calling someone else Trite, Chief Mendez?
Why indeed I was flyinfilipino. Indeed I was...

And Sonic and Snake are guests because they're not Nintendo characters.
That's fine and all--I just don't understand why pretty much everyone who's posted that they want them removed thinks they can list "they're guest characters" as a viable reason.

Conclusively said:
It's like a striped furry raccoon thing.
I don't know why, but I find this funny.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016

EDIT - I was trying to figure out why so many people recently seem to think that Sonic and Snake will be cut, if for no other reason that the (arbitrary) "they are guest characters".
Glad it did. But you still misunderstand some things... as the fact that Snake broke that "tradition" (I can call it like that, right?) and therefore, can be called as "guests", also the other fact that Nintendo characters overrule Brawl in terms of numbers.

Just refferin' to Snake and Sonic, forgot to take the other ones in consideration, my bad.

Edit:

And Sonic and Snake are guests because they're not Nintendo characters.
Word.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Well...see, I don't want to embarrass you in front of everyone or anything but...well, you've...kind of been confusing me with someone else. :ohwell:

Everyone else is just too nice to say anything, but...well, if I didn't set you straight, you'd just keep on making a fool of yourself. You can thank me later.
Uh.. Because Phoenix is your avatar, and we were talking about that series earlier, I just thought I would call you that.I know that you were calling Chronobound that earlier.It was just a friendly joke. Sorry.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
That's fine and all--I just don't understand why pretty much everyone who's posted that they want them removed thinks they can list "they're guest characters" as a viable reason.
Really? After all the years of Melee people *****'d about Sonic not being in Melee, we get him, and people want him out?!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Really? After all the years of Melee people *****'d about Sonic not being in Melee, we get him, and people want him out?!
I'm always surprised too.

I mean, I'm not a fan of Sonic, and couldn't care less about him being in, but in the interest of realistic thinking, I really don't imagine he'll be cut, even if he is a "guest character".

The opposite is true for Snake. I love having him in there, but there are a number of fairly convincing arguments against him. However, him being a "guest characters" is definitely not one of them.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Heck of Sonic fans we have. 55% of them now hate him. We all owe it to Sega, since Sonic Heroes came out.

It seems to be slowly getting on the correct path since Sonic has been chosen in Brawl (not considering Brawl AT ALL, just look at the new games... probably excluding that Sonic & the Black Knight).

Hey, that makes me think... isn't Megaman's turn? LET'S ALL ****ing spam Megaman for not being in Brawl! (But some people won't agree, MEH).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Heck of Sonic fans we have. 55% of them now hate him. We all owe it to Sega, since Sonic Heroes came out.

It seems to be slowly getting on the correct path since Sonic has been chosen in Brawl (not considering Brawl AT ALL, just look at the new games... probably excluding that Sonic & the Black Knight).

Hey, that makes me think... isn't Megaman's turn? LET'S ALL ****ing spam Megaman for not being in Brawl! (But some people won't agree, MEH).
The crazy fanbase does not help either. Sonic probably has the worst fanbase in gaming (no offense to Sonic fans in this topic). Other bad fanbases are Final Fantasy, Smash Bros., and Fire Emblem (where everyone is at each other's throats).

Ganon4President

Smash Rookie
My Smash List

Actually have a ranking system online

To be able to change the rules to stock

For Ganondorf to be able to use his **** sword :mad:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Sonic probably has the worst fanbase in gaming.
How true this is. How horrifyingly, morally-depressingly true...

Roy-Kun said:
There haven't been any Sonic games since Brawl. He's appeared in a few games, but other than that, they've just announced two pieces of nostalgia-crushing abominations new Sonic games, so I really don't think the series is going to be getting any better.

If you're somehow insinuating that Megaman's games have been going downhill in terms of quality, then you'd be right...

...Except that Megaman 9 is going to completely restore my faith in the series. :bee:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Actually, there is one glimmer of hope for Sonic, which is the Sonic RPG being made by BioWare.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
There haven't been any Sonic games since Brawl. He's appeared in a few games, but other than that, they've just announced two pieces of nostalgia-crushing abominations new Sonic games, so I really don't think the series is going to be getting any better.
Again, my bad (darn it, sucks not having perfect english ._.), just reffering those announcements. Which (specially Unleashed) look actually promising. But it's just meh.

If you're somehow insinuating that Megaman's games have been going downhill in terms of quality, then you'd be right...

...Except that Megaman 9 is going to completely restore my faith in the series. :bee:
Probably. Darned Battle Network series...

The crazy fanbase does not help either. Sonic probably has the worst fanbase in gaming (no offense to Sonic fans in this topic). Other bad fanbases are Final Fantasy, Smash Bros., and Fire Emblem (where everyone is at each other's throats).
Has the worst fanbase due to going in a horrible downfall.

But saying that Smash has a horrible fanbase is a bit too much... (also for Fire Emblem).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Actually, there is one glimmer of hope for Sonic, which is the Sonic RPG being made by BioWare.
I don't care how awesome BioWare RPGs are, the game automatically fails for combining the word "Sonic" and the acronym "RPG" into a whole.

The Mario RPGs are good (I don't like them, but they're apparently good) because they don't take themselves seriously. Ninty's certainly never going to make "Mario Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood", because taking a happy, brightly-colored game world full of talking animals and giving it a gritty, dark storyline is just about the stupidest thing a game company could ever do.

ChronoBound said:
Other bad fanbases are Final Fantasy, Smash Bros., and Fire Emblem (where everyone is at each other's throats).
Final Fantasy I'm with you on, as well as Smash Bros. (to a lesser extent).

I don't actually know any Fire Emblem fans in real life though. Thought that probably speaks for itself (in some way).

IDK

Smash Lord
nobody should ever be moved. as was said bring back all melee cast and add new. fix the broken and don't make all the SSB4 chars way better in some way like how brawl chars have amazing recovery... i like the idea of having all four directions and neutral for every action... like aerials are. have a back, down, up, neutral, and forward for all of these:
aerials
tilts
smashes
b moves
thats it right?
i'm more interested in new features than in new characters. there are just so many possible NCs that i can't name them all... so i won't. ill leave that to you guys. as for other new features, what about these:
jump teching
the ability to type on wifi?
more taunts
would SSB4 be on the wii? if it were on another system, it would have to adapt to GCCs , or somehow the brawl players will adapt, but i highly doubt that. if we do adapt, a new controller format could bring further possibilities
a move that everyone has that is very powerful, different animations for different characters, and is only usable when someone breaks their shield.
i had more a while ago but i'm too tired to think...

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
My Wishlist for SSB4, I want it to Feel Like the Perfected Melee Again

Melee Style Break The Targets,
Old Scoring System (just Like in Melee),
Melee Style Adventure Mode Along with a new story based Adventure mode,
Classic Mode More Like Melee (random matches, Break the targets more like melee, race to the finish, etc)
All Star Mode to Have Random Fights and 5 heart containers single player and 8 for co op
Battlefield More Like Melee's Design
Each Franchise to have at least 2 NEW Stages
Bonus mode for multiplayer (Which Melee Had)
Rival Adding for Wi FI
a Creepier Final Destination
Menu Design Similar to Melee
All Melee Veterans Playable from Start
Better Menu Music
a Shop to Purchase Stickers, Costumes and etc.
New Summon Item: Subspace Portal, randomly summons a subspace army member
at least 20 new fighters with 15 of them hidden

3rd Party Franchise Wish List
Rayman
Okami

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
All Star Mode to Have Random Fights and 5 heart containers single player and 8 for co op
In other words, you suck at All-Star. :ohwell:

Each Franchise to have at least 2 NEW Stages
That's way too many stages to expect. Prepare to be disappointed.

All Melee Veterans Playable from Start
This is a must, however. Though rather, this should read "All Brawl Veterans Playable from Start".

at least 20 new fighters with 15 of them hidden
Again, way too many to expect.

Amaterasu
Fix'd.

bigmack209 said:
like how brawl chars have amazing recovery...
Yes. Link's recovery, I mean...Jesus, it takes him clear across the freakin' stage! Nerf that sh*t, man.

i like the idea of having all four directions and neutral for every action... like aerials are. have a back, down, up, neutral, and forward for all of these:
aerials
tilts
smashes
b moves
thats it right?
This has come up a few times before...and I think the best way to do this is to have the "Back Attack" (whether it's a special, smash, or tilt) be a slightly modified version of the normal side move it's based on.

For example, Marth's Bsmash would be the same downward slash, but with reduced range (as he twists when he does it) but higher damage/different knockback.

jump teching
Elaborate plz. :p

the ability to type on wifi?
WiiSpeak should make this unecessary. Talking's faster and better than typing anyhoo.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I don't care how awesome BioWare RPGs are, the game automatically fails for combining the word "Sonic" and the acronym "RPG" into a whole.

The Mario RPGs are good (I don't like them, but they're apparently good) because they don't take themselves seriously. Ninty's certainly never going to make "Mario Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood", because taking a happy, brightly-colored game world full of talking animals and giving it a gritty, dark storyline is just about the stupidest thing a game company could ever do.
Do you mean something like this?

Woo.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't think it justificates anything at all. They are stil guests since they have their origin in other series, and don't beling to Nintendo, since Super Smash Brothers used to be a Nintendo All-Stars characters. And Snake and Sonic are NOT from Nintendo.

:/

Ummm, you can't be serious.........
Did we not play the same game. Was I mistaken that there were only two Non Nintendo characters and the rest are called guest by the games creator. Did you miss that ONLY things from that characters franchise were non Nintendo, despite they could have used other elements from the same company. Am I blind to the fact that everything else that is not them is Nintendo, and that the game is still made by Nintendo and Hal Laboratories.

Sorry to go down your throat, but much like Geno stuff for you, this greatly annoys me. There is a large misconception that Smash bros is no longer a Nintendo fighting game. Remember, Sonic barely got in, which should prove Sakurai is very serious about keeping it primarily Nintendo.

EDIT:I don't want them out of the game. I'm more "calling them as I see them" kind of.....
EDIT2:A lot of games have bad fanbases. There are few good ones. As far as I see it, Earthbound and Team Fortress 2 have the best fanbases (although the latter is falling)>

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I mean glimmer of hope as in a game that does not get slammed in reviews, I have no interest in purchasing the game, since it seems to have a "serious" storyline. Well, we will find out next month whether the game is good or not.

Also, from what I've seen more people want Sonic out of the game than Snake. Also, that's not accounting for how much he is disliked by the Japanese fanbase.

D

Deleted member

• A little more fast-paced
  • At least two or three people from each game series (i.e. Sonic & Knuckles, DK & Diddy, etc.)
  • More Stage Builder options
  • Import you own music into SSB4
  • Solid online play
  • Bring all rejected characters back even if it does seem weird
  • A LOT of Pokemon

the list can go on and on but if they could make it feel mostly like Melee, I'd feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
:joyful::joyful::joyful:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I mean glimmer of hope as in a game that does not get slammed in reviews, I have no interest in purchasing the game, since it seems to have a "serious" storyline. Well, we will find out next month whether the game is good or not.

Also, from what I've seen more people want Sonic out of the game than Snake. Also, that's not accounting for how much he is disliked by the Japanese fanbase.
Actually, from what I've seen, it's the opposite. I remember going to a local tournament, and how many Sonics I saw. There were no Snakes in the entire tournament. It seems that more people that don't use the internet like Sonic. Heck, they love him. Despite his game appearances, they got what they always wanted.

AlexOFranco

Smash Rookie
More / Better Items for joke matches.
More Stage Builder Options
Lil` Mac
Buff lower tiered Characters
More Hit-Stun and a delay before air dodge is possible after getting hit but leave it (air dodge) infinite otherwise.
No filler material like Nintendo Chronicles or Super short demos. Improve adventure mode: make it shorter than emissary and use only Authentic Nintendo enemys, shorter means less repetitive.
Nerf and Balance Final Smashes. Make Smash balls harder to obtain and give it more HP.
Give me a Very low item option. More online options
More use for coins. (Brawl-Shop) No tripping other than move induced.
weak Air Throws would be cool King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Roy
Ninten (Mother 1) assist trophy good alternate costumes
Give Luigi a vacuum grab

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Actually, from what I've seen, it's the opposite. I remember going to a local tournament, and how many Sonics I saw. There were no Snakes in the entire tournament. It seems that more people that don't use the internet like Sonic. Heck, they love him. Despite his game appearances, they got what they always wanted.
Let me use a popular Fire Emblem expression:

"Personal experience means nothing."

According to most people's accounts, Snake and Meta Knight are the two most used characters in tournaments. Sonic is also considered by most to be a bad character, and generally a poor choice for tourney-play (much like other low and bottom tier characters).

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
New Modes:

Race to the finish
There are 6 obstacle courses. The first 5 are generic. The final one is unique to the character you are using, and is unlocked by completing the other 5 with that character. You need to get to the end of the obstacle course as quickly as possible.

VS Race to the finish:

A race to the finish of the course. You can attack other characters along the way, and if they're KOd, they are either out of the race or spawn slightly back (toggled with an option)

VS Break The Targets:

Targets spawn in place on a map (5 to choose from). Your goal is to destory more targets than your opponents in an amount of time. There are different coloured targets worth a different number of points. You can attack your opponent, but a KO only renders them invulnerable for a time.

Board The Platforms:

Same as in the original. 5 generic stages plus a unique one for each character.

VS Board the platforms:

When you jump on a platform, you take control of that platform. Your aim is to take control of a certain number of platforms on a map, or have control of the most after a time limit.

Brawl against the clock:
Similar to countdown brawl, except you're going the other way. You start with 10 seconds, counting up. Koing an alloy takes 2 seconds off the clock. Once the time is reduced to 0, you win.

Pacifist Brawl:
How long can you last without KOing/damaging the alloys. You lose as soon as you KO/damage a wire frame. A psychologically intimidating task.

Strategy Brawl:
You are only allowed to KO alloys under certain conditions. Eg, can only KO alloys with smash attacks, or you are only able to KO red ones. These change as the brawl goes on, and change more rapidly and get more restrictive as time passes.

VS Brawl:
Try to either (toggled through options):
Kill more wire frames than your opponent (in a time limit)
Be the first to kill a certain number of wire frames
Outlive the opponent (either on the same map or splitscreen on different maps)

First Person View:
You can view replays or online matches from the first person perpective of a character, and take photos from that perspective. As a bonus, ROB, Samus, Captain Falcon, Olimar and the space animals (of the characters that are currently in the game) have unique heads up displays as an easter egg. These show what moves are being used and display messages like "danger critical damage" when the character's on high damage. These can be turned off for photos.

Online Tournaments:
By just signing up for an online brawl "with anyone", you can enter a makeshift tournament. If you win a match, you continue to another match in the same autoassigned tournament. Winning a tournament gets you some in game rewards

Bomb Mode:
You have a gooey bomb strapped to your body. It will explode in n minutes. If it explodes, and it's on you, you die (no exceptions). In 4 player mode, a new bomb spawns once the old one explodes.

Sudden death alternative: Quick draw
Press any button quicker than your opponent when the signal goes off to win. This mode always occurs if there is a tie in regular sudden death.

I'm dead minigame:
If you die in a stock match, you can play an extremely simple tetris like puzzle game where your character icon is. If you clear a line or whatever, you gain some ammo for your...

Cannon:
If you toggle it, you can fire shots at the stage after you die. This is represented by a small, coloured, unintrusive targeting recticule appearing when you're ready to fire. These shots do damage but very little knockback. These cannon shots can either be won by playing the i'm dead minigame or are given every 15 seconds or so.

New use for Stickers:
Want to spice up menu screens? Then place some stickers on them. There is no way for the sticker to intrude with the menu items.

New and improved masterpieces:
Each masterpiece is now only a single part of a game: Ie one race around mute city in f-zero x, or one dungeon in a link to the past. This allows viable minigames for each masterpiece that would add to the game while still being an effective advertisment for the game on VC. It also saves memory.

Title Screen Minigame:
I don't what to put, but it's really cool when a game has one.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
New Modes:

Race to the finish
There are 6 obstacle courses. The first 5 are generic. The final one is unique to the character you are using, and is unlocked by completing the other 5 with that character. You need to get to the end of the obstacle course as quickly as possible.

VS Race to the finish:

A race to the finish of the course. You can attack other characters along the way, and if they're KOd, they are either out of the race or spawn slightly back (toggled with an option)

VS Break The Targets:

Targets spawn in place on a map (5 to choose from). Your goal is to destory more targets than your opponents in an amount of time. There are different coloured targets worth a different number of points. You can attack your opponent, but a KO only renders them invulnerable for a time.

Board The Platforms:

Same as in the original. 5 generic stages plus a unique one for each character.

VS Board the platforms:

When you jump on a platform, you take control of that platform. Your aim is to take control of a certain number of platforms on a map, or have control of the most after a time limit.

Brawl against the clock:
Similar to countdown brawl, except you're going the other way. You start with 10 seconds, counting up. Koing an alloy takes 2 seconds off the clock. Once the time is reduced to 0, you win.

Pacifist Brawl:
How long can you last without KOing/damaging the alloys. You lose as soon as you KO/damage a wire frame. A psychologically intimidating task.

Strategy Brawl:
You are only allowed to KO alloys under certain conditions. Eg, can only KO alloys with smash attacks, or you are only able to KO red ones. These change as the brawl goes on, and change more rapidly and get more restrictive as time passes.

VS Brawl:
Try to either (toggled through options):
Kill more wire frames than your opponent (in a time limit)
Be the first to kill a certain number of wire frames
Outlive the opponent (either on the same map or splitscreen on different maps)

Online Tournaments:
By just signing up for an online brawl "with anyone", you can enter a makeshift tournament. If you win a match, you continue to another match in the same autoassigned tournament. Winning a tournament gets you some in game rewards

Bomb Mode:
You have a gooey bomb strapped to your body. It will explode in n minutes. If it explodes, and it's on you, you die (no exceptions). In 4 player mode, a new bomb spawns once the old one explodes.

Sudden death alternative: Quick draw
Press any button quicker than your opponent when the signal goes off to win. This mode always occurs if there is a tie in regular sudden death.

I'm dead minigame:
If you die in a stock match, you can play an extremely simple tetris like puzzle game where your character icon is. If you clear a line or whatever, you gain some ammo for your...

Cannon:
If you toggle it, you can fire shots at the stage after you die. This is represented by a small, coloured, unintrusive targeting recticule appearing when you're ready to fire. These shots do damage but very little knockback. These cannon shots can either be won by playing the i'm dead minigame or are given every 15 seconds or so.

New use for Stickers:
Want to spice up menu screens? Then place some stickers on them. There is no way for the sticker to intrude with the menu items.

New and improved masterpieces:
Each masterpiece is now only a single part of a game: Ie one race around mute city in f-zero x, or one dungeon in a link to the past. This allows viable minigames for each masterpiece that would add to the game while still being an effective advertisment for the game on VC. It also saves memory.

Title Screen Minigame:
I don't what to put, but it's really cool when a game has one.
Let me just say that this post is made of pure, undiluted win. Seriously, those are all incredibly cool ideas. :bee:

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Let me just say that this post is made of pure, undiluted win. Seriously, those are all incredibly cool ideas. :bee:
I second that!
----------------
Those were awesome ideas man! And I would love to see them all in smash 4.

ALSO--bring back a good, challenging credits shoot-out. brawl's wasn't the best :/P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom