• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

At mantlecore77:

I love the Black Knight and all, but I think Micaiah or Hector is a better choice (regrets saying this >.<)
Plus i don't think Rob and Pit need to be removed. They have original movesets.
Plus i think that the Pokemon Series and Star Fox have too much reps.
Other than that, your dream roster is perfectly fine. I like it.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
At mantlecore77:

I love the Black Knight and all, but I think Micaiah or Hector is a better choice (regrets saying this >.<)
Other than that, your dream roster is perfectly fine. I like it.
Alright, I'll settle the whole Pit and R.O.B. here peacefully:
Me taking them out is PURE bias. I don't like them.
But I'm not gonna whine if they continue to stay in SSB, I understand why're they're in.

The Black Knight... I just figured that a bad guy from Fire Emblem would be good, you know? Hector would be amazing too, but I think Black Knight would FIT best right about now.

True on the too many reps. But nevertheless, I almost took Lucario out. *whimpers at the fact that he knows he's going to get crap for saying that*

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
However, since a remake is the next game, we'll only see Roy's world, Marth's world, or Ike's world. I doubt they would give us another japan only character.
Seriously, w/o any bias at all, how much chance does Roy really have?

To the good:

--Elemental sword (fire) the only one we have (Ike doesn't count).
--One of the lords of the three worlds (we have Marth for his world and Ike for his, we need a rep. from Roy's world).
--He can be de-cloned. Even if he has his old Melee moveset, it would be somewhat different from Marth's current Brawl one.
--His sweetspot makes him noteworthy.
--Many casuals loved him.
--He was Melee: once a character is in a smash game (minus Pichu), they always have a chance to return (like Mewtwo). Now that Roy's tasted the fray of Smash, he still craves more (and Mewtwo)...
--Roy (and Mewtwo) were supposed to be in Brawl. They're in the coding or whatever. The point is, he wasn't completely disregarded. His plans just...changed.
--So far in Melee and Brawl the Fire Emblem series has only had two reps. per game. Now, Mayhem (SSB4), will probably have a myriad of characters so this may change to three (but probably not four). Roy may take the new spot.

To the bad:

--His game in Japan was an epic fail.
--He was in Melee as an advertisement.
--He was a clone. And even though Roy has an elemental aspect to him and the different location of his sweetspot (resulting in a completely different playstyle), Sakurai doesn't exactly know how to completely de-clone someone.
--He was an extremely popular casual character. He didn't win many tourneys, thus resulting him not to return. Other clones of Melee that were of higher tiers (Ganondorf and Falco) returned. Dr. Mario is higher than Roy (and even Ganondorf), but he was in Melee due to advertisement, wasn't he. Besides, many people had a disdain hatred towards the Doc.
--There are many Fire Emblem characters worthy of a spot, be it a mage or weapon weilder or perhaps even a laguz. There is going to be the "new" Fire Emblem DS game soon coming out. This may (and probably will) take away his popularity whether it be temporarily or permanately who knows.
--So far in Melee and Brawl the Fire Emblem series has only had two reps. per game. The pattern may continue into Mayhem. Marth is sure to stay, but what about Ike? He wouldn't be traded for Roy, though; he's more likely to be replaced with another new Fire Emblem character (perahaps a female rep.).

Steelia

Smash Champion
Err, pardon.
Mewtwo had an original moveset... and he still got the boot from Brawl.
;_;
(Not that I have anything against R.O.B. or Pit... I just figured I'd point that tidbit out.)

And too many Pokemon reps? Whachutalkinbout? :p

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
The one and only problem i have with your list is Geno. I just don't think he is important enough to be given a spot. After all he has only been in one game (the cameo in m&l doesnt count) and he wasn't even the title/main character in the one game he was in.
I can understand that. I'm just a huge fan.
Again, I'm not gonna argue anything on my list. It's totally opinionated and not realistic, truly. Thanks for the input on it at all, though.

EDIT: Steelia, that's a good point, but I DO think that there are such things as too many reps... Truly, I would probably take Lucario out to shorten the rep list.
MEWTWO FTW ANYWAYS

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is my response to the roster

Firstly, Pokemon Trainer is a terrible idea and why you guys are not making SSB4. A little harsh I know, but allow me to explain. Pokemon Trainer is a good idea becuase he is unique. A lot of the characters work because they are unique (yes, even characters like Toon Link and Wolf). The point with creating the characters is they have some unique qualities to them. Pokemon Trainer 2 (or girl or whatever) is the same as Pokemon Trainer. This is why the idea sucks; there is no uniqueness to it. Even when you put different starters the idea remains the same: Three characters that have to be switched where on is light/fast, another medium and one is heavy/slow. Nothing changes. Not to mention that the reason Sakurai chose those three is becuase the were the most predominate in peoples minds and their most favorite starts. Not to mention R/B were the best selling games. So, again, there are better characters to add.

Also, Sonic does not need more then one more fighter. Again, these are guest characters. They are not a dominate force in Smash bros, and they aren't suppose to be. It is a Nintendo fighting game. This does not mean you can add 5-7 new 3rd party characters. It's not viable (cost too much) and ruins the spirit of the game. There will probably be one more third party, but don't count on 2.

Lastly, with Fire Emblem, please stop asking for Black Knight and Michiah. They are from the same game as Ike. There will be more characters in this universe, and more popular ones at that. Hold on for a minute.

GENO- I loved seeing all you supporters cry in your sleep when he wasn't in. Third party, substantially unimportant at that compared to icon Megaman. Unique moveset? Crock of it. We already have an important third party who can change his arm into different weapons: Megaman.
Geno is more popular then Megaman. He was one of the most requested characters for the Japanese audience and one of the most popular in the west as well. Megaman doesn't come close. In fact, he isn't really popular. His popularity steamed because Sonic got in (which I dub, the "Me too effect" Once on character gets in, people move to the next character. Megaman was really popular becuase everyone clamoring for Sonic had him, thus they move to something else because it is the norm. He wasn't popular until after Sonic was announced. The same is true for Claus as he was more popular).

I've ranted a bit but these are generally the traps I see people fall into.

D

Deleted member

--So far in Melee and Brawl the Fire Emblem series has only had two reps. per game. The pattern may continue into Mayhem. Marth is sure to stay, but what about Ike? He wouldn't be traded for Roy, though; he's more likely to be replaced with another new Fire Emblem character (perahaps a female rep.).
Ike shall stay. He is a lord in 2 games where marth is now at 3.

Lastly, with Fire Emblem, please stop asking for Black Knight and Michiah. They are from the same game as Ike. There will be more characters in this universe, and more popular ones at that. Hold on for a minute.

Geno is more popular then Megaman. He was one of the most requested characters for the Japanese audience and one of the most popular in the west as well. Megaman doesn't come close. In fact, he isn't really popular. His popularity steamed because Sonic got in (which I dub, the "Me too effect" Once on character gets in, people move to the next character. Megaman was really popular becuase everyone clamoring for Sonic had him, thus they move to something else because it is the norm. He wasn't popular until after Sonic was announced. The same is true for Claus as he was more popular).

I've ranted a bit but these are generally the traps I see people fall into.
Black Knight and Micaiah are people that alot of people like. People can dream right, and besides, its not THAT impossible.

Also Geno is more Important than Mgeman?!?!!? Porposturous (correct me on spelling)!!!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Also, Sonic does not need more then one more fighter. Again, these are guest characters. They are not a dominate force in Smash bros, and they aren't suppose to be. It is a Nintendo fighting game. This does not mean you can add 5-7 new 3rd party characters. It's not viable (cost too much) and ruins the spirit of the game. There will probably be one more third party, but don't count on 2.
I'd have to agree with this bit. I don't believe Sonic... or any other third-party-added character, including Snake... need anymore 3rd party reps from their series other than themselves. As much as I'd want to play as someone like Knuckles (my favorite Sonic character), I'd rather he sit this out and be a guest character somewhere. I thought what they did with him in Brawl was clever.
If you really want to see more Sonic characters duking it out in some form... bug SEGA to make a Smash-like SEGA game. Perhaps Mario will be the special guest there. :p

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
KumaOso said:
If this ever happens, I hope that it'll be a joint project between Namco and Nintendo.
I know you guys are thinking Tales here, but when I first read this sentence, I immediately thought of Namco x Capcom.

It is a cross-over RPG...

darkserenade said:
However, since a remake is the next game, we'll only see Roy's world, Marth's world, or Ike's world. I doubt they would give us another japan only character.
The remake also comes out this year. I'm fairly confident IS will manage to pump out the FE12 before SSB4 starts development.

And by your logic, if they shouldn't give us another Japan-only character, then they should give us Eliwood instead of Roy, since they're from the same world, yet Eliwood appears in an english-language game.

The third FE Smasher will probably be a character from FE11 or FE12. There's no good reason for Roy to come back, other than that he was in Smash Bros. already.

MarthFanatique said:
--One of the lords of the three worlds (we have Marth for his world and Ike for his, we need a rep. from Roy's world).
Again, if this is a requirement (
Protip: it's not
), a FE7 character would work just as well.
--He can be de-cloned. Even if he has his old Melee moveset, it would be somewhat different from Marth's current Brawl one.
This has no bearing on him getting in. Ganondorf can also be de-cloned.
--He was Melee: once a character is in a smash game (minus Pichu), they always have a chance to return (like Mewtwo). Now that Roy's tasted the fray of Smash, he still craves more (and Mewtwo)...
This is simply not a fact. Or even a good supposition, as there are no precedents for it yet.

--He was an extremely popular casual character. He didn't win many tourneys, thus resulting him not to return.
Yes, because Sakurai just cares so much about the tournament scene, right?

agidius said:
do you really want to fight as a Zigzagoon?
Who doesn't? :ohwell:

SmashChu said:
Geno is more popular then Megaman.
...I...I'm...

Alright, I'm sorry, but I call bullsh*t on this one. You can't possibly be serious when you say that Megaman, the mascot character of a multi-million dollar company, and protagonist in some of the best action games of all time, is less well-known or loved than a party member in a decade-old Super Nintendo RPG.

You simply cannot. It is totally impossible. MY BRAIN CANNOT COMPUTE THIS INFORMATION

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This might be a double post, but I'd thought it we be rude not to reply to someone who did so for me.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2711830

They can still be used in online matches, just not the random, anonymous ones. If it's your friends, it doesn't matter, but it's aggravating enough when random online matches are won or lost due to a random item spawn or some jackhole picking Skyworld.

And a character based around critical hits sounds...well, I don't think I'd be for it, anyway.
Well, online matches are not for ranks or anything. It's for fun. The point of the CH were to just so randomness to it. Spice up very match if you will.

The camera would be a problem. It gets tougher to play accurately on, say, Hyrule Temple, if two players are fighting on opposite sides of the level, as it's harder to see what's going on. Now imagine how far the camera would have to pan out if there are fights taking place on the extreme left, right, and bottom of the level. It would still work, and I am for the idea (sorry if it seemed like I wasn't), but it's not really an ideal situation, methinks (a DS version could do this way better, though).
Stages like Hyrule and New Pork City will always suffer from this. It's possible for 4 people to cause this, just 6 is more likely. Not that it hurts the game. Also, agreed on the DS thing.
No, because like you said: it makes sense for most "clones" to be like that: Falco Fox and Wolf are all very similar characters.

But a futuristic racer/bounty hunter and a medieval battle mage are not as similar.

Even if it "works", it's not ideal.
Very true: however, just becuase he comes from another game, does not mean it makes the moveset worse. Ganondorf has more incoming with how Falcon fights then Link or Zelda. You make a valid point, but I disagree that it's still more logical for him to fight like Falcon, even if they are from different game (Although his specials probably need to be changed).
I don't know what you mean by "started in OoT".
He first appeared in OoT
And the human Ganon didn't use a sword in OoT, that's true. But he had one in the Spaceworld 2000 trailer, as well as in one of Melee's victory poses it doesn't matter, because Ocarina is one example of him--the only one in which he doesn't fight with a sword.
This was also the first game he was in until after Melee.
Seriously, there are many many many more Zelda games than just OoT and TP. Ganondorf fights with weapons, not his hands in the vast majority of games he appears in.
But he does use his hands a lot in TP. Enough to where he shouldn't be solely weapon based.

...I...I'm...

Alright, I'm sorry, but I call bullsh*t on this one. You can't possibly be serious when you say that Megaman, the mascot character of a multi-million dollar company, and protagonist in some of the best action games of all time, is less well-known or loved than a party member in a decade-old Super Nintendo RPG.

You simply cannot. It is totally impossible. MY BRAIN CANNOT COMPUTE THIS INFORMATION
Yes I can. When someone says one character is more popular then another they will be talking about how much that character is wanted in Smash bros. It is known the subject is "Smash bros" so when I say "Geno is more popular then Megaman" it means, "There is more want for Geno then Megaman in Super Smash Brothers".

Ike shall stay. He is a lord in 2 games where marth is now at 3.Black Knight and Micaiah are people that alot of people like. People can dream right, and besides, its not THAT impossible.

Also Geno is more Important than Mgeman?!?!!? Porposturous (correct me on spelling)!!!
The amount of request for those characters generally isn't high. A few people want them, but they generally don't run the gambit of other characters. Generally, the main characters of Fire Emblem are what will probably be in Smash, as there are a lot of characters in Fire Emblem. Thing is, these characters seem more important to us becuase we only have 4 out of the 10 games (not counting the DS one). Also, I explained Megaman. Not as many people want him in Smash.

Sorry for all the quotes in all my post guys.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
This might be a double post, but I'd thought it we be rude not to reply to someone who did so for me.
Got ya' covered, man. ;)

Well, online matches are not for ranks or anything. It's for fun. The point of the CH were to just so randomness to it. Spice up very match if you will.
I don't know about you, but I play on WiFi for practice, and with my friends for fun. There's enough randomness online with the way stage and item selection play out.

But that's just me. Personally I don't really like the whole idea anyway, but to each his own.

He first appeared in OoT.
THIS IS NOT TRUE

But he does use his hands a lot in TP. Enough to where he shouldn't be solely weapon based.
[/QUOTE]And again I say: Twilight Princess is not what we should be basing SSB4 Ganon on, as he will most assuredly look (and take inspiration from) the next Zelda's Ganon.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
No he didn't. The only times he was using his hands was to kill a sage in the flashback scene and a summon spell for those Phantom Riders before the final fight. For the rest of his screen time, he was either using a weapon, special magic spells, or in his beast form. Overall, he barely used his hands for anything but to show off his manliness.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't know about you, but I play on WiFi for practice, and with my friends for fun. There's enough randomness online with the way stage and item selection play out.
OK. Agree to disagree.

Also, one of my ideas was having Tripping and CH on the same vein. So you could turn them off (named "Luck") or have them on. Some characters would have a higher chance of tripping then others,and the same goes for CH.
But that's just me. Personally I don't really like the whole idea anyway, but to each his own.
True.
THIS IS NOT TRUE
Looking at the Brawl trophy right now. His first appearance was OoT. IO assume your talking about Ganon, but he never had a human form till OoT.

And again I say: Twilight Princess is not what we should be basing SSB4 Ganon on, as he will most assuredly look (and take inspiration from) the next Zelda's Ganon.
Well, then we'll wait and see.

No he didn't. The only times he was using his hands was to kill a sage in the flashback scene and a summon spell for those Phantom Riders before the final fight. For the rest of his screen time, he was either using a weapon, special magic spells, or in his beast form. Overall, he barely used his hands for anything but to show off his manliness.
Yes he did. He would usually hit you with his elbow then swing at you, or would sometimes kick you away, which is where his forward strong comes from.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SmashChu said:
Yes I can. When someone says one character is more popular then another they will be talking about how much that character is wanted in Smash bros. It is known the subject is "Smash bros" so when I say "Geno is more popular then Megaman" it means, "There is more want for Geno then Megaman in Super Smash Brothers".
Yeah, I guess you're right. We all know how much people missed Geno being in Brawl. :ohwell:

I remain adamant in the fact that outside of highly specialized communities like these, virtually nobody knows who Geno is. I had totally forgotten about him before I started coming here.

And I tell you, over the past 100 or so pages of this thread, many times more people have told us they want Megaman in SSB4 than have requested Geno.

Looking at the Brawl trophy right now. His first appearance was OoT. IO assume your talking about Ganon, but he never had a human form till OoT.
O.o

TECHNI'QALITY

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Yes he did. He would usually hit you with his elbow then swing at you, or would sometimes kick you away, which is where his forward strong comes from.
I know what he does, but the problem is: Elbows=/=Hands

Unless you're talking about arms, then that's a different story, but Ganondorf didn't use his hands too much. And no, the kicking doesn't help what you are trying to say. He still used his weapon/magic for nearly every part of the battle, so it's pretty much moot.

BEES

Smash Lord
Smash 4 needs Nightmare from Soul Calibur. And they need to program the CPU to camp edges with him.

Some of you know what I'm talking about.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Alright, this is my dream team list...
I take opinions but no flaming, please.
I will list then after the "-" comes what I think would be reasonable/appropriate changes.
Newcomers highlighted

: Mushroom Kingdom universe
Mario - Dr. Mario alternative costume Agreed.
Peach
Luigi - Poltergust 3000 as BDown move Agreed. Why didn't they do it in Brawl?
Bowser
Geno - Hate to tick you off Smashbot, but Geno DOES deserve a spot. I didn't cry when he didn't get in, but hell I would cry tears of joy if he did eventually. That'll be the day...

: Legend of Zelda universe
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf - Decloned in certain aspects, especially his special moves

I rue the day when DK has more reps than Zelda. Coming from a DK main.

(just wait for the Toons...)

: Donkey Kong universe
DK
Diddy
Dixie - as much as some people hate this character or any idea of putting her in, I think that the fact that she appeared in 2/3 DKC games would make it fitting for a Smasher... she also has appeared in sports games as well. That's not my point though. Game appearances shouldn't have any effect on a character's chances. Ice Climbers say hi.
King K. Rool - obvious choice for newcomer Without a doubt.

: Pokemon universe
Pikachu
Jigglypuff - Sing doesn't suck anymore
Mewtwo: Recovered!
Pokemon Trainer - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
Pokemon Trainer 2 - THIS IS IMO: Chikorita, Quilava, Feraligatr
...Lucario, I guess. Or a new 5th generation Pokemon

TWO PT's are a bit overboard... I'd replace one with, say, Deoxys or Darkrai. 5th gen Poke replaces Luca fo sho.

: Dreamland universe
Kirby
Meta Knight - him and Snake are the only two I would ever nerf... but only slightly. Not like the way they nerfed Captain.
King Dedede

: Star Fox universe
Fox
Falco - Specials decloned
Wolf - Specials decloned
Leon - I don't really have to back this up, do I?
Krystal - A ton of people are for and a ton of people are against. I don't see anything wrong with putting her in (but don't argue me, I'm not trying to argue)

: Metroid universe
Samus
Ridley - not Meta Ridley, but the classic Ridley You KNOW MR would be a alt costume.

: Yoshi universe
Yoshi
Birdo... - Go ahead. Be hating. I know she's not a fighter. I know she's not "in" Yoshi's universe. But remember boys and girls... IMO.And IMO, this is bull. She has NEVER been in a Yoshi game. EVER.

: Warioware universe
Wario
Waluigi - Another one I'll get hate for, and another that's not truly wrapped into the universe I labeled him with, but then again, you should remember that he's Wario's answer to Mario's Luigi. I don't see why they couldn't trick him out for a Smash game. I thought I was the only one who secretly wanted Waluigi. You sir, are awesome. Even though Waluigi is technically a MARIO character.

: Fire Emblem universe
Marth
Ike
Black Knight - Another I don't feel the need to back up. Either him or Hector.

: Sonic universe
Sonic
Knuckles
Shadow - gorgon has proven that he doesn't need to be a clone in MYM2. Just a Luigified one.
...Tails? I don't know... Maybe Dr. Eggman too...

Sonic should make way for a new 3rd party. IMO.

Earthbound
Ness
Lucas - different specials... PK Teleport? PK Love, perhaps?

: Megaman universe
Megaman - obvious
Zero - amazing X series rep
Sigma - read Zero
Dr. Wily - I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I WANT HIM IN. I shouldn't, but I do.lol

OTHERS IN LONE UNIVERSES
Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
Olimar (Pikmin)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Bomberman (Bomberman)

That comes to roughly around 50... I believe...

Removed
Pit
R.O.B.

REMEMBER THIS IS MY "IMO DREAM TEAM"
R.O.B. is a coin flip, but Pit sis probably gonna go. So will Sonic and Snake.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, a Soul Cal rep wouldn't be bad. SC2 was on the GCN and Link made a cameo there...

Nightmare for SSB4? Discuss?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Pit is probably gonna go.
Just like the Ice Climbers went after Melee, right?

...Oh wait...

Also, why do you think Sonic and Snake are going to go? I keep hearing this about them being "guest" characters, but what good reason does anybody have for calling them that? We don't know if third-party characters are a one-time only thing, as there hasn't yet been another time for them to not be in. :dizzy:

SirKibble said:
Especially if you're the kind of guy who's into StarCraft.
Or, hey I could be a Defiler! That would be so awesome! I mean, I could use Dark Swarm and Plague, and I could even...

Wait. Nevermind. I'll stay a Lurker, actually. :urg:

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road

...Oh wait...

Also, why do you think Sonic and Snake are going to go? I keep hearing this about them being "guest" characters, but what good reason does anybody have for calling them that? We don't know if third-party characters are a one-time only thing, as there hasn't yet been another time for them to not be in. :dizzy:
yeah youd think that after all the trouble they went through to get those guys they would keep them around for more then one game.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
: Dreamland universe
Kirby
Meta Knight - him and Snake are the only two I would ever nerf... but only slightly. Not like the way they nerfed Captain.
King Dedede
No more Kirby reps makes me sad...

Toon Zelda/Tetra - thank SirKibble for implanting this into my head
But you are redeemed for this. :)

I could do my dream roster... Maybe I will later... Maybe...

Chief Mendez said:
Or, hey I could be a Defiler! That would be so awesome! I mean, I could use Dark Swarm and Plague, and I could even...

Wait. Nevermind. I'll stay a Lurker, actually. :urg:
Lol, yeah, you could devour your own species. You're bound to get loads of new friends that way.

Hey, StarCraft was on the 64! It's Nintendo! Infested Kerrigan for SSB4! [/sarcasm] Protoss are a million times cooler, anyway.

smashbot226

Smash Master

...Oh wait...

They're called GUEST characters for a good reason. You don't see Heihachi on the PS2 on Soul Calibur, do you? GUESTS should never make a repeat return.

Snake's going because Kojima is tired of giving Sakurai blowjobs.

Sonic has a shot, due to MASSIVE fanservice. Yet there is another Blue Bomber waiting for his spotlight...

EDIT: There's still Adeline as a Kirby rep, Kib.

darkserenade

Smash Ace

...Oh wait...

Trite has a point. If they are smart, then without a doubt they'll keep them.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I guess you're right. We all know how much people missed Geno being in Brawl. :ohwell:

I remain adamant in the fact that outside of highly specialized communities like these, virtually nobody knows who Geno is. I had totally forgotten about him before I started coming here.

And I tell you, over the past 100 or so pages of this thread, many times more people have told us they want Megaman in SSB4 than have requested Geno.
If we go back in time (with Smashchu's magical time machine WEEEEEEE) we can see what is being talked about. Firstly, on Sakurai's poll, Geno appeared 4 times while Megaman only 2. Also, there was a sudden boom in his popularity. When Brawl was first shown, Sora was the next most popular to Sonic (he was rather big) with other characters like Simon trailing behind. But even then, Sonic dominated them all.

Now to this "Me too effect". Whenever a character was unveiled on the Dojo, a lot more character topics got new people. The move was greater to characters of the same franchise (Clause didn't hit any form of popularity until Lucas was shown. Most topics with him were small).This is the natural order, and one reason why a lot of people were upset with the Brawl roster despite a lot of their favorite characters were in there.

Megaman had a stronger base then many of the other third parties, but it wasn't until Sonic was shown that he upped up. It was becuase people wanted another third party character. It's kind of a dream thing, you want more then you can get. Megaman has really stood out because he is the third party character. It's more exciting as it's outside the norm. Snake was received with screams of glee, but Megaman or Sonic would have done the same thing. Could you beleive it, a non Nintendo character was in Smash. It sparked a lot of attention, and of course, people hoped they could realize their dream game.

Geno never really fell into that camp. He, like other characters from Dedede to Krystal, was popular before. He was wanted though out that timeline and before and after. He was one of the most requested from the US and was the only characters from the top 10 Japanese request that didn't make it in. As you can see, he has some backing.

One potential problem (which means I could be talking **** here) is that he could become Sora, a character who eventually bites the dust for another as time moves on. Given, the character as a much stronger history so his chances are less, but you see what I'm getting at. Another mention is the poll conducted here had Megaman only 2 votes higher then Geno (despite being third party). Yeah, you can say "Oh he's more popular", but he also gets the "Hey look at me, I'm shiny and 3rd party" (There is some truth to this. Just look at the shear number of them requested and how many from the same franchise). Not to mention Sakurai actually counts Geno as a 1st party. Also, as a tidbit, Geno is probably more popular worldwide as Japan seems to really like him.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Lurking implies not posting, so yeah hehehe ;)
What? Are you implying that I do post on this thread?

Sh*t, man--I wouldn't post in this dungheap if ya' paid me to. Half y'all are stalkers or defilers anyway, and I wouldn't be too surprised if everyone here looked at
pornography
. You all make me sick. I hate this place.

Not really! You guys are awesome, really.

SkylerOcon said:
Nightmare for SSB4? Discuss?
I'd support him if Namco hadn't totally shafted Nintendo fans with Legends rather than SCIV. Also Talim's cooler.

smashbot226 said:
They're called GUEST characters for a good reason. You don't see Heihachi on the PS2 on Soul Calibur, do you? GUESTS should never make a repeat return.
Where are they called "guest characters"?

Nowhere, that's where. Sonic and Snake for SSB4.

Snake's going because Kojima is tired of giving Sakurai blowjobs.
Putting aside the utter vulgarity of this sentence, I'll point out that Sakurai's already got himself a man. NOTE - Definitely NSFW linkage right thur.

darkserenade said:
Trite has a point.
I believe you have me confused with someone else.

He does have a point though.

---

Uh...I don't feel like typing up a response to your last post SmashChu, so you win by default.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
: Mushroom Kingdom universe
Mario - Dr. Mario alternative costume
Peach
Luigi - Poltergust 3000 as BDown move
Bowser
Geno - Hate to tick you off Smashbot, but Geno DOES deserve a spot. I didn't cry when he didn't get in, but hell I would cry tears of joy if he did eventually.
Paper Mario
Why no Bowser Jr. He is the up and comming villan in Mario
: Pokemon universe
Pikachu
Jigglypuff - Sing doesn't suck anymore
Mewtwo: Recovered!
Pokemon Trainer - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
Pokemon Trainer 2 - THIS IS IMO: Chikorita, Quilava, Feraligatr
...Lucario, I guess. Or a new 5th generation Pokemon
Pokemon Trainer 2 Should be a Girl and IMO Blastoise, Bulbasur and Charmeleon

Steelia

Smash Champion
I don't think we'll be seeing 2 Pokemon Trainers in the same game.
An unfortunate(?) truth.
If anything, we'd have a better chance of seeing a Pokemon Trainer alternate costume that is a female... but nothing more.

(Though my personal go for a "Pokemon Trainer 2" would be Piplup, Bayleef and Blaziken... :o )

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
All right. It’s time for my SSB4 roster. Before you read please keep in mind that I was sure to remember popularity, viability as a character, and previous series representation before choosing the characters. No third party series can have more than one rep, but will have alternate costumes that may or may not show different characters from their series.

Also, no complaining about me not including Geno. He's AT material, no offense.

Mario series:

Mario (Doc as an alternate costume)
Luigi (Mr. L as an alternate costume)
Peach (Evil Peach (Paper Mario: TTYD) as an alternate Costume)
Bowser (Dry Bowser as an alternate costume)
Paper Mario & Partners (Partner Switch done in PT Pokemon switch manner)

DK series:

Donkey Kong (Funky Kong as an alternate costume)
Diddy & Dixie IC style team

Yoshi series:

Yoshi

Wario series:

Wario (Classic Wario as an alternate costume)
Captain Syrup (Possibly downgrade to an AT)

Zelda series:

Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf (decloned)
Vaati, or LoZ Wii rep

Metroid series:

Samus (Dark Samus as an alternate costume)
Ridley (Meta-Ridley as an alternate costume)

Kirby series:

Kirby
Meta-Knight (Maskless Meta-Knight as an alternate costume)
King Dedede

Pikmin series:

Olimar (Louie as an alternate costume)

Star Fox series:

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal or Leon (preferably Krystal, for the sake of not having another cloned space furry)

F-Zero series:

Captain Falcon (Severely buffed)
Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow

Pokemon series:

Pikachu (Pichu and Raichu as alternate costumes)
Pokemon Trainer
Jigglypuff
Rival Trainer using Piplup, fifth gen grass second evolution, and Blaziken

Fire Emblem series:

Marth (Roy as an alternate costume)
Ike or the lord from FE12
Soren (Other FE mages as alternate costumes)

Mother series:

Ness
Lucas

Advance Wars series:

Main character from the next Advance Wars

Retro series:

Pit
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch

Second party:

Isaac
Agent J as an assist trophy
Ray (Ray MK I, Ray Legend, Ray MK II, and Ray MK III as costumes)

Third party:

Snake (Old Snake as an alternate costume)
Sonic (Shadow as an alternate costume)
Megaman (All versions as costumes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom