• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Sheik Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Official Sheik Power Rankings

This is the Sheik's power rankings thread. The power rankings are a list of the most successful and talented Sheiks in our community, selected by panelists elected by the Sheik boards.

The purpose of this thread is not to discourage or anger anyone. Instead, the purpose is to not only show who the best Sheiks are, but it is also to try to inspire and motivate other Sheiks to do better in tournaments, and to create some healthy competition within the Sheik boards.

Criteria for being in the rankings are tournament performance (how you placed, who you beat, who you lost to) over the period from August 2009 to the end of January 2010.

The Panelists:
Ankoku
<3
Tristan
Light
Choknater

The Sheik Power Rankings:
(last updated February 5, 2010)
1. Light - 25 pts.
2. <3 - 20 pts.
3. Scary - 11 pts.
4. KenniSpam - 10 pts.
5. Tristan - 9 pts.

Players in red moved down in ranking
Players in white have been recently added to the list

If you do not agree with the power rankings, that's fine. The power rankings, however, will not be changed until it is next updated. Lets keep the discussion clean.

---
8/22/09 Most Powerful Shinobi - 9/42
beat Akashi, JBlan, 18spikes, Fol
lost Kirk, Ryzen

9/12/09 MPS - 9/31
beat Oro, Red Ryu, Magic Josh
lost Arty, DLA

10/10/09 MAS - 13/31
beat spongejordan
lost Akashi, Meneil

11/28/09 WSBT2 - 2/12
beat nacho, Buuda, Magic Josh, Fade
lost Sago

01/02/2010 - MAS 2 - 9/34
beat Aerox, Fatboy
lost Arty, Yoshq

LIGHT
---
11/08/09 HxC Brawl Tournament - 9/31
beat Kuni, Zeton
lost Dphat, FK

11/14/09 Phase 3 - 9/39
beat Bwett, Chic
lost Dphat, Razer

12/12/09 HOBO 21 - 17/50
beat ???
lost Lee Martin, Snakeee

01/23/10 OSU Monthly #2 - 5/50
beat Bees, Sam Lytal, foxy brown, typeX
lost mr.doom, Bassem

STEALTH
---
??? Halloween Bash - 8/36
beat ???
lost ???

??? Zero Gamer's Biweekly - 3/12
beat ???
lost Kismet, Reflex

??? Anime convention - 3/22
beat Kismet, ???
lost Reflex, Kismet

??? Winterfest - died
lost HRNut, DPhat

RATHY ARO
---
11/28/09 PolyBrawl - 49/76
lost MBlaze, Bee

01/02/10 Wiegraf Too Good - 33/43
lost Penta, SFP

DMT
---
11/28/09 PolyBrawl - 33/76
beat Victory
lost PGN, Rien

??? BUM's Tournament - ???
lost PatG, Izumi

<3
---
12/12/09 WATO 8.5 - 4/24
beat person, Hiroi, Fearless, GDX
lost Seibrik, Radix

??? Winterfest - died
lost Mero, Nick Riddle

??? Local tournament - died
lost kyon, Noa

SCARY
---
12/12/09 WATO 8.5 - 13/24
lost Razek, Chaz

??? Winterfest - died
lost 2nLio, R@vyn

01/31/10 Play n Trade Tampa - 2/49
beat Trumptight, Mattt
lost RedHalberd

ANKOKU
---
12/19/09 LoLiS V - 13/42
beat Rhino, Kappy
lost Judge, Blue Rogue, Suyon

01/23/10 Michigan Ball Z - 9/27
beat Duck, Kip, Smash, Tutu, BigDaddy
lost Anther, Omni, Boxxy

MARS
---
12/19/09 R3 - 33/64
beat 141, Stig, Li-93, Sonik, VatoBreak
lost Erow, F8, Sleeyh, RedJ, rip

01/06/10 Utah Tournament - 5/13
beat C!Z
lost Sexy Yaz, Lada

TRISTAN
---
01/02/10 Crewfest! - 9/33
beat Kyuzo, Candy, Don
lost Takeover, Candy

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol i want to be on the panel

anyway

i think armada snakeee and light are the best right now anyway

PR's are irrelevant to me, i jsut want to be the best

hm

i guess i dont wanna be on the panel ^_^

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I wont lie, I really don't know that much about Sheik ranking in tournaments but as far as I see who is the best and still active it would go something like

Neo
Light
...Champ?

Is champ still active?

That's my top 3

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Can we do the vote again in this thread? People were sort of all over the place in the last one.
Chok -He SERIOUSLY needs to be on for a more diverse view on Sheik. He knows his **** too.
Ankoku - He probably won't do it, but he'd be the best for the job due to sheik knowledge and general knowledge of the game. Plus I trust him to be more objective than anyone else on this board.
Light -He seems to know things about how to play sheik that no one else is applying. I don't think there's a sheik out there who knows sheik match ups better (except possibly the mysterious neo's sheik)
Tristan - He knows sheik better than anyone ATM, hands down. No question. it'd be stupid if it wan't on the panel.
<3 - His name is a ****ing mindgame. You think he offers love, but he's actually telling you that you have less than 3 seconds before he gimps you! (Serious reason is that he's smart, knows sheik theoretically, and in practice. You could say that about lots of people, but all the other people that come to mind seem inactive or I don't trust as much).

edit: What do people think about me being on the panel? I'm pretty sure no one would go for it, but I do know sheik (though mine sucks) and I think I'd be good at making a criteria. I'll suggest my criteria anyway.
I strongly suggest:
-The only things we consider are money matches (who you beat and how you played) and tournament results (who you beat, how you played, and how well you placed). That's it! No theorycraft or guess work! If the sheik isn't clearly active stop discussing him/her!
-Vids or it didn't happen (in the case of a tournament the results are adequate proof).
-Only new acheivements. I don't care if saviors ***** M2K yesterday. We're trying to encourage sheiks to get good from now on and we don't want accomplished sheiks getting on the list when they do nothing now (they like to slack =P).
-Redo it every 3 months (12 weeks).

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
less than three seconds... nice.

who ever gets on the panel should be using tourney placings MMs and Tourney matches to decide who is placing where as well as who they played and beat under these conditions.

I don't like counting friendlies, because it seems a lot of the time people can't put their all into the match with nothing important to lose.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
The panelists should also consider if the Sheik main uses Sheik and another character during the tournament.

Leaf, are those your votes for NEO and Light?

For those of you that haven't yet, VOTE before the end of the week!!!! Each person gets 3 votes.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
In that case. I officially vote Chok, Light, and <3.

only reason i didn't vote tristan is because I expect he'll get voted on anyway.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
So what's the plan. Select panel, then have panel discuss the details as to how players will be ranked?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Really? Don't other boards have them, too?
Link boards did but Buzz took it down saying you can't make thread about specific people. This causes a huge ****fest where most of the Link mains left for AiB.

Ganon boards had one at one point but I think it got taken down as well.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
If we have problems like the Link's and Ganon's then I suggest one of the panelists to just make a blog on smashboards about their decision and then post the address in the general chat thread.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
So what's the plan. Select panel, then have panel discuss the details as to how players will be ranked?
Yeah, pretty much.

I suggest, once the panel is selected that and they come up with a criteria, they should only make decisions 2 (or 3) months from now giving sheik's November and December (possibly January) to go out and do well. Making the list now or even soon wouldn't make much sense.

and I agree a user group would be a good idea

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Yeah, pretty much.

I suggest, once the panel is selected that and they come up with a criteria, they should only make decisions 2 (or 3) months from now giving sheik's November and December (possibly January) to go out and do well. Making the list now or even soon wouldn't make much sense.
Agreed.

The criteria for the ranking process should be very clear and easy to understand. If the power ranking is based on solid, well-defined statistics and a logical, mathematical system ( ie. points) the thread should not find a place in the cross hairs of moderation; The basis would be more of a " Which Sheik players are performing better at tournaments lately?" rather than a " Who has the l33test Sheik of them all?"

This should then be looked at as healthy competition to perform better at tournaments, rather than have players flame each other. I honestly think the Sheik boards are one of the most respectful boards, and are abundant with intelligent posters - we shouldn't have an issue here.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Agreed.

The criteria for the ranking process should be very clear and easy to understand. If the power ranking is based on solid, well-defined statistics and a logical, mathematical system ( ie. points) the thread should not find a place in the cross hairs of moderation; The basis would be more of a " Which Sheik players are performing better at tournaments lately?" rather than a " Who has the l33test Sheik of them all?"

This should then be looked at as healthy competition to perform better at tournaments, rather than have players flame each other. I honestly think the Sheik boards are one of the most respectful boards, and are abundant with intelligent posters - we shouldn't have an issue here.
The problem with going off of pure tournament results though is that I don't think we even have 10 tournaments going competitive sheiks. Which is why I think we need to either expend what decides who is listed in the power ranking, make it top 5 instead of 10, or make it incomplete until those remaining spots are filled.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
concidering how few sheiks there are ATM, lol.

I also really want who people have played to affect their rankings. If someone knocks M2K into losers and then immediately lose... maybe to ICs or something; they should get some cool points despite a bad placing. thats said if you enter an all gannondorf tourney as sheik, and some how win without being disqualified...

You placement is important. but almost more than that who you are actually playing against and losing to is also important.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Also the use of secondaries. How much of the tournament did the Sheik player use Sheik?

Also would Money Matches count? Bringing up performance vs top ranked opponents, such as M2K, can also suggest the inclusion of Money Match results. The real question comes into how these things would be taken into consideration. There should be little to no room for personal opinions, to honestly call it a statistical power ranking.

I would also suggest the help of Ankoku, should he agree to lend a hand. I say this because he's done ranking before, with his statistical list on character tiers before the release of an official tier list. He employed a point-based system that I believe can be a good place to start in forming a rubric by which the Sheik Ranks will be made.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'll pick his brain :) Even though he won't like it~

I think MMs should count but only to a degree

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
A week is hardly a sufficient amount of time to make a PR unless you make it based on current tournament results and MMs. And voting? That gives leeway to so much bias, especially when I highly doubt any of you have ever played each other (not Sheik dittos, but played each others Sheiks in general), let alone seen each other play IRL, thus basing it off videos which often times can be skewed versions of how people play (unless they were recorded tourney matches. Friendlies don't count. Seriously.)

Which therefore means people should be posting their records here. Then the panelists (Ankoku would probably be the most reputable and objective judge on your boards) would be used to dispute who has the best record. This method also weeds out any inactive players.

If there aren't enough active players (Sheik mains who don't have tournament records, or reputable victories for that matter,) to make a legitimate top five, then maybe a PR isn't a good idea.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
You miss understand. We are voting for a group of panelist right now. It will be the panelist responsibility with the help of the community to determine who the best sheiks are bassed on many of the factors you mentioned. Friendlies and hip happenin' video's aren't going to cut it when it comes to making the list. Thats something the whole of the sheik comunity already understands.

That said it seems like we are starting fresh we won't be using existing records but will instead only refer to tournies and such that have taken place after the panel has been constructed.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
A lot of major East Coast tournaments coming up soon, one of which I am hosting. I suggest the panel be constructed asap so we can start data collection.

iLight

Smash Lord
yeah, i've kind of been inactive from tournies for the past few weeks, though i'll be going to the next hobo and probably hosting a tournament of my own soon, which is usually counted towards TX PRs. Also i will be going to winterfest in florida, since i'll be there visiting my family for christmas, it should be fun. Hopefully i can do some good placing w/ mostly sheik.

just clarify for people who don't know me i only use mk now for the ditto =]

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Since I got PM'd about it...

I'd be willing to be on the panel, but only if I get voted on in the first place.

iLight

Smash Lord
against pika I play sheik, and IC's are pretty much the only reason why I play ROB in singles still, though there are only 2 IC's players in texas now Hylian/Melee1, melee1 doesn't go to HOBO anymore and i don't usually play hylian in singles

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If we have problems like the Link's and Ganon's then I suggest one of the panelists to just make a blog on smashboards about their decision and then post the address in the general chat thread.
If this gets locked for whatever reason like the others I'd suggest that.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Since I got PM'd about it...

I'd be willing to be on the panel, but only if I get voted on in the first place.
I'm pretty sure people didn't vote for you cuz they didn't think you'd do it. Actually I'm suprised you would. =P Vote Ankoku!

edit: @red yru: I'm pretty sure there's no problem with this or else this thread would be locked by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom