• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Not really :p. Matchup ratios are decided by comparing the characters before the match starts. Otherwise it would just be silly. "MK has Snake off the stage at low%! The matchup is now 90:10!!!!!!" or "Diddy Kong is behind a nanner and shooting peanuts! 80:20 LOL". In Dedede's case both characters have the same abilities... among those the ability to infinite the other Dedede. So it's still 50:50.... just a potentially very silly 50:50 :p.
Well you can look at it that way. :laugh:

There's no way dittos can be changed from 50:50 however. I'm just saying it can be drastically one-sided.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's not true. Dittos could be not 50/50 based on starting position in a blind money match. O_O

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
My losses have all been to Metaknights, one of them Mew2King, with the exception of a recent loss to Blue Rogue in a set where I killed myself at 13%. Hardly small play either, considering our locals consist of 3-4 states and about 60 people.
you planked me in tourney because there was no LGR, then i went after you, got the lead within like 5 seconds, then didn't plank you back just to prove a point. I heard blue rogue 2 stocked you twice, but you're acting like it was only because of your suicide.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
How would anti-ban limit planking and scrooging effectively? I haven't yet seen a rule that would remove planking completely, MK's have always found a way around them and thus keep making people nuts.

Btw, there's only one MK in Finland and he's not even very active :p I wish I could bottle MK-free-tournaments and sell them.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
you planked me in tourney because there was no LGR, then i went after you, got the lead within like 5 seconds, then didn't plank you back just to prove a point. I heard blue rogue 2 stocked you twice, but you're acting like it was only because of your suicide.
Of course I planked you in tourney, that was the joke! =P

I got everyone to cheer for me beforehand and then planked you on livestream because it was hilarious.

My set with Blue Rogue was 2-1, he 2 stocked me on FD at kill %. Not too bad considering I lost a stock early on to a goofball mistake.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
How would anti-ban limit planking and scrooging effectively? I haven't yet seen a rule that would remove planking completely, MK's have always found a way around them and thus keep making people nuts.

Btw, there's only one MK in Finland and he's not even very active :p I wish I could bottle MK-free-tournaments and sell them.
They've been trying for a long time. Anti-ban is going to continue to try to weaken mk until the game has too many small rules to keep track just so that he doesn't make the game. They ban all of the things about mk that aren't fair but not the character himself. In all honesty, when IDC was first discovered, when we realized that the character can disappear for as long as the player wants, he should have been banned straight off right then.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
In all honesty, when IDC was first discovered, when we realized that the character can disappear for as long as the player wants, he should have been banned straight off right then.
When rising pound was first discovered in Melee, when we realized that Jigglypuff can stall under the stage for as long as the player wants, she should have been banned straight off right then.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
When rising pound was first discovered in Melee, when we realized that Jigglypuff can stall under the stage for as long as the player wants, she should have been banned straight off right then.
Some melee players might agree ;)

IDC has uses other than stalling. I pushed for it to be banned (against the will of m2k, I might add) because with IDC in play, it is ultimately a stalling technique. To approach in any way with the lead with IDC at your disposal is playing to lose, and that isn't somethnig you can rely on.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Of course you went after him... you had MK.
Not only is he arguably the best planker, he's also best equipped to deal with it.
Unlike this character. Although technically that's not planking, so the character part of the point is moot I guess.

Not hating tho M2K. That was smart as hell.

Crow!

Smash Lord
This thread now sucks as it has devolved into name-calling and fallacious bull**** (mostly thanks to anti-ban). Can't it just be locked?
As much as I agree that there's a lot of shenanigans going on, there is something kind of ironic about calling people name-callers. The fallacious bull****, on the other hand, is stuff I've been working to educate people about how to identify and avoid when possible.

Anyway, the problem here is the sheer rate of posting. Over the course of the past week and a half the addition of real material to the discussion has been at a more or less constant rate, but the rate of total posts has absolutely surged at various points of time (near the beginning and then again in the past couple of days.. also shortly after consolidating into this thread, what was that a week ago?).

The "filler" material, if you will, is of the usual nature when people who disagree with each other meet in a common place online.

IMO, that the less-than-productive posts from the anti-ban side look more desperate is just a reflection of the fact that they're losing. But that's subjective, and I'm sure there are several anti-ban forum-goers are right now feeling the urge to quote this and say something along the lines of "NO, YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S LOSING LOLOL!" in a series of very productive posts.

Anyway, I'm starting work on producing some more useful data to use for discussion as soon as I get back home - I just finished my Quantum Mechanics exam and I think it went well.

RDK

Smash Hero
Alright guys, here it is!

For anyone who's interested, this is the MK Ban Discussion Podcast we held the other night. It features Overswarm, Omni, Adumbrodeus, Jack Kieser, and myself. The clip is in two parts because the discussion was over 2 hours long, and eSnips allows you to stream it or download it for later use. It was very informative and it's a good listen. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.esnips.com/web/play2win/

Download Part 1

Download Part 2

Chuee

Smash Hero
rising pound is easier to monitor in tournaments than IDC
If the main reason IDC is banned is because it can be used for stalling, then obviously it would be quite obvious if you were using it to stall.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
And since both players have roughly equal chance of getting controller port 1, it's averaged to 50:50.
Of course, but making a point, and different characters have different controller port advantages, and I would assuming that MUs are calculated at character selection.

As much as I agree that there's a lot of shenanigans going on, there is something kind of ironic about calling people name-callers. The fallacious bull****, on the other hand, is stuff I've been working to educate people about how to identify and avoid when possible.

Anyway, the problem here is the sheer rate of posting. Over the course of the past week and a half the addition of real material to the discussion has been at a more or less constant rate, but the rate of total posts has absolutely surged at various points of time (near the beginning and then again in the past couple of days.. also shortly after consolidating into this thread, what was that a week ago?).

The "filler" material, if you will, is of the usual nature when people who disagree with each other meet in a common place online.

IMO, that the less-than-productive posts from the anti-ban side look more desperate is just a reflection of the fact that they're losing. But that's subjective, and I'm sure there are several anti-ban forum-goers are right now feeling the urge to quote this and say something along the lines of "NO, YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S LOSING LOLOL!" in a series of very productive posts.

Anyway, I'm starting work on producing some more useful data to use for discussion as soon as I get back home - I just finished my Quantum Mechanics exam and I think it went well.
This has been pretty much the same back and forth it's always been, RDK's podcast was the most productive discussion on this topic we've had so far (overswarm was there).

Allied

Smash Master
The 2nd picture is shooped

i can tell by the pixels and seeing quite of few shoops in my day

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Breaking news:
Shoop-the-Whoop mask is more broken than MetaKnight mask.

link2702

Smash Champion
umm...ya....so how bout dat der discussion bout mk?

maybe the topic needs to be locked after all, both sides have seriously said all that they needed to, and now the topic has just become full of spam and flamming....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom