• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Do I smell some Inui logic in this thread? Hmm....
so if tyrant beat adhd and adhd beat m2k, that means that tyrant is the best player in the world now right?

But wait~ FOW beat Tyrant and...

Also, I hear Ksizzle's brother knocked out ADHD at his first tournament

Gnes

Smash Master
and Felix, who isn't the best diddy but a top one, beat shadow in a MM and then 3-0d atomsk at mlg orlando

tell me all these frame traps and stuff and I'll believe you but for right now that's impossible for me to believe unless you went in detail over how MK shuts diddy down

adhd was playing crappy at MLG also i was watching him. He was much better at pound4.
Felix has jem practice and is very good, im not suprised if he did do that. I would also like to see felix play them in bracket, when their willing to do anything and everything to win. Playing mk in bracket is a entirely different world, and u know EXACTLY what i mean.

Adhd playing "crappy" at mlg means nothing. He had time to practice as did everyone else who johns that they were "playing bad". The reality, he loss. Thats all.

Now on the other note, i will not tell u. And really, i honestly dont care if u think they dont exist. My advice would be to ask dojo/anti about tips or go into training mode and try out some stuff. I wont be the death of my character. Now im not saying the things that I know make the matchup 70-30/65-35, but makes it dramatically far away from 50-50 as u and a few foolish souls believe.

ADHD has to get used to the mk's that know the matchup. because he thinks he is gonna **** every mk out there without going througha challege. :p. Since everybody out there knows the matchup is even. -_-'
What r u even talking about? Is this a joke post? Because I find it unbelievable that someone could write a statement in which every part of it be wrong unless it is. If so, dont mind me. Sarcasm doesn't pass through the filter known as "teh interwebs" well.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Because then there goes all hope of him beating top MKs with his character if they knew whatever it is he's hiding. Why would he do that to himself?

It's just like how you wouldn't reveal the details about tornado when I asked you about it. xD

etecoon

Smash Hero
Because then there goes all hope of him beating top MKs with his character if they knew whatever it is he's hiding. Why would he do that to himself?
it is a silly expectation but trying to get MK banned with "he does **** diddy, he just does!" is also silly. maybe both of them should just stop <_<

(btw I think MK beats diddy, I'm just saying this conversation is ridiculous from both sides)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Man I wish I could but I'm working at both of my jobs for the rest of the week, and this weekend is my birthday weekend so I'll be out and about with the family. But yeah I'll play you again whenever I'm free and I'll ask you more about nado while I'm there.

@ Etecoon- I didn't even participate in the actual argument. I was just trying to make a point about hiding things to M2K and why Gnes may not want to reveal anything that would further hinder his chances competitively with his character. Dur...

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah I misworded that, I meant gness. and as I said I agree that MK beats diddy I just don't see the point of arguing it if you aren't actually going to say why, same with M2K saying that diddy beats MK "because I can't beat ADHD", this discussion is entirely nonsensical

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
If Diddy really was the magic counter to MK, wouldn't ADHD be able to beat the MK's who know the matchup consistently? It's obvious enough that Diddy has a couple tricks up his sleeve that make him closer to MK than almost everyone else in the cast, but he's not a counter to MK. If someone can show why Diddy counters MK, by all means, go ahead. It won't happen, though, because MK HAS NO COUNTER! We've gone over this a dozen times, and MK destroys the counter system beause he has no bad legal stages and no disadvantageous matchups. How about after this season ends in a couple of months, we try a temporary ban for a few months just to see how the metagame changes? The worst thing that can happen is a few MK fanboys quit or the unlikely chance that a different character dominates the rest of the cast with MK gone. As we have it now, we've added rules to limit MK and we're thinking about banning stages simply because they're good for MK. As a Kirby main, I don't want RC or Brinstar to be banned, but a lot of people have decided that anything and everything that benefits MK should be banned. But really, the problem isn't even stalling or stages. It's MK's moveset! He has amazing priority, nearly unbeatable move speed and recovery, virtually perfect gimping, none of which we can limit. Let's just try a temporary ban to see how the Metagame looks like without a dominating force, and let the BBR make a descision after that. What's the harm?

:kirby:

NNID
Budget_Player
no, you proved that he was broken using rulesets that no one actually uses

HEY GUYS BOWSER IS PRETTY BROKEN ON HANENBOW!?!?!?

All right... "HEY GUYS MK IS PRETTY ****ING CRAPPY IF THE ONLY MOVE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO IS JAB"

Comparing a ledge grab limit to a character on hanenbow is like comparing a single move in a character's arsenal to

I can't THNK UP an analogy that dumb.

etecoon

Smash Hero
hyperbole was just a fun little after addition, bowser probably isn't actually good on hanenbow anyway. point is that your entire argument hinges on "OMG PLANKING SHULD BE LEGAAAAL"

should just go back to "MK is overcentralizing because he alone breaks the counterpick system", it's true and it's actually a legitimate argument

bigbucks

Smash Journeyman
If Diddy really was the magic counter to MK, wouldn't ADHD be able to beat the MK's who know the matchup consistently? It's obvious enough that Diddy has a couple tricks up his sleeve that make him closer to MK than almost everyone else in the cast, but he's not a counter to MK. If someone can show why Diddy counters MK, by all means, go ahead. It won't happen, though, because MK HAS NO COUNTER! We've gone over this a dozen times, and MK destroys the counter system beause he has no bad legal stages and no disadvantageous matchups. How about after this season ends in a couple of months, we try a temporary ban for a few months just to see how the metagame changes? The worst thing that can happen is a few MK fanboys quit or the unlikely chance that a different character dominates the rest of the cast with MK gone. As we have it now, we've added rules to limit MK and we're thinking about banning stages simply because they're good for MK. As a Kirby main, I don't want RC or Brinstar to be banned, but a lot of people have decided that anything and everything that benefits MK should be banned. But really, the problem isn't even stalling or stages. It's MK's moveset! He has amazing priority, nearly unbeatable move speed and recovery, virtually perfect gimping, none of which we can limit. Let's just try a temporary ban to see how the Metagame looks like without a dominating force, and let the BBR make a descision after that. What's the harm?

Close matchups can be won on both sides even if both know the matchup alot. :/

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
^^ etecoon this makes no sense. Nobody thinks planking should be legal! Our entire argument hinges on "Meta Knight is broken and he's destroying the game. Let's ban him!" It's the anti-ban that's ridiculous. Your argument's basically "Is not!" with a little "So what?" thrown in.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Close matchups can be won on both sides even if both know the matchup alot. :/
This doesn't change the fact that MK is far and above the best choice for a character. The only other thing worth doing is learning some character specific counters, like Dedede for most of the cast, or the ICs and their infinites.

Gnes

Smash Master
Dont worry...in do time i plan to create/update the diddy v mk matchup thread on the diddy boards.

What i was referring to was the frame traps i found with bananas....that i wont reveal for anything.

I mean just in general...he outranges diddy...has moves that are safe on shield/are safe from significant punishment, nullifies our camping with scrooging/planking, and can literally make his own little fortress by simply camping near a ledge. Diddy does have options for some moves and strings, but its pretty lopsided.

Im not gonna say much else cuz this isn't the diddy vs mk matchup thread.

etecoon

Smash Hero
^^ etecoon this makes no sense. Nobody thinks planking should be legal! Our entire argument hinges on "Meta Knight is broken and he's destroying the game. Let's ban him!" It's the anti-ban that's ridiculous. Your argument's basically "Is not!" with a little "So what?" thrown in.
no, BPC has been arguing that planking should be legal assuming MK were banned as well. no comment on the anti ban attack, if anything I agree that there should be a temp ban, I just don't think planking should be allowed either way.

bigbucks

Smash Journeyman
Dont worry...in do time i plan to create/update the diddy v mk matchup thread on the diddy boards.

What i was referring to was the frame traps i found with bananas....that i wont reveal for anything.

I mean just in general...he outranges diddy...has moves that are safe on shield, nullifies our camping with scrooging/planking. Diddy does have options for some moves and strings, but its pretty lopsided.
Im not gonna say much else cuz this isn't the diddy vs mk matchup thread.
Are they safe enough for Glide toss OSS? :confused: Scrooging an planking is a touchy subject because its what we are discussing right now. :laugh:

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
^^ Planking is only proken when MK is legal. Without MK, planking is perfectly beatable. I personally hate planking, but unless MK is legal, planking isn't as broken as you think.

EDIT - Another post got in the way. I was responding to etecoon, not bigbucks...

bigbucks

Smash Journeyman
^^ Planking is only proken when MK is legal. Without MK, planking is perfectly beatable. I personally hat planking, but unless MK is legal, planking isn't as broken as you think.
Planking does fall under the "stalling" rule, the problem is that defining what is stalling an what is not stalling is highly subjective

An i like to bring up another point, Why don't people bring about human error when it comes to planking? Frame perfect planking for a whole 8 minute match? I don't think its possible realistically. Scrooging however i can agree. :/.

bigbucks

Smash Journeyman
^^ Planking is only proken when MK is legal. Without MK, planking is perfectly beatable. I personally hate planking, but unless MK is legal, planking isn't as broken as you think.

EDIT - Another post got in the way. I was responding to etecoon, not bigbucks...
Just after i respond this. -_-

etecoon

Smash Hero
^^ Planking is only proken when MK is legal. Without MK, planking is perfectly beatable. I personally hat planking, but unless MK is legal, planking isn't as broken as you think.

a lot of things are banned for reasons other than being broken, in fact the more prominent pro banners don't even argue that MK is broken, that's something that people like BPC have started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF3BfiNxpiU&feature=related

sure, it's beatable, but this will get brawl kicked off of MLG faster than MK(non-planking, just being overcentralizing and dumb) ever would

NNID
Budget_Player
no, BPC has been arguing that planking should be legal assuming MK were banned as well. no comment on the anti ban attack, if anything I agree that there should be a temp ban, I just don't think planking should be allowed either way.

Pretty much this. G&W's planking? Beatable. Pit's planking? Beatable. And not just beatable, reasonably beatable. Banning something that is beatable and not completely game-breaking is scrub logic.

Crow!

Smash Lord
It's these kinds of posts that make me wonder whether Diddy really deserves to be as high in the tier list and character rankings as he currently is. A character that's truly good would benefit from spreading knowledge about strategies and techniques, as it would increase the number of players using that technique, advance the character's metagame overall, and eventually the number of players using the character, too.

Diddy Kong mains, on the other hand, seem to believe they must block further understanding of their character, which implies that common unfamiliarity with the character is essential for Diddy Kong to succeed. In other words, Diddy mains are acting as though their character is a gimmick.

Edit:
hyperbole was just a fun little after addition, bowser probably isn't actually good on hanenbow anyway. point is that your entire argument hinges on "OMG PLANKING SHULD BE LEGAAAAL"
It's certainly not his only argument, but incidentally, planking SHOULD be legal. Here's an essay I wrote on the subject recently.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10299146&postcount=4

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
@Crow!

Good thoughts; Diddy isn't a counter to MK. MK's just don't know the matchup well enough, and if you think about it, everyone knows MK's style... he's the most public charater of all. Diddy, on the other hand, is used, like you said, as a gimmick through unfamiliarity for the character. Diddy is one of the hardest characters to use, so aside from Diddy mains, not many know the intricacies of his matchups, specifically vs. MK. Diddy's secrecy is his greatest asset, and once it's out in the open, I predict a fall in his position.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It's these kinds of posts that make me wonder whether Diddy really deserves to be as high in the tier list and character rankings as he currently is. A character that's truly good would benefit from spreading knowledge about strategies and techniques, as it would increase the number of players using that technique, advance the character's metagame overall, and eventually the number of players using the character, too.

Diddy Kong mains, on the other hand, seem to believe they must block further understanding of their character, which implies that common unfamiliarity with the character is essential for Diddy Kong to succeed. In other words, Diddy mains are acting as though their character is a gimmick.
Perhaps that is the case. But then again, if I were one of the premier Diddy mains making money like he is, I wouldn't reveal my secrets either.

Gnes

Smash Master
Crow...u hit it right on the spot.

I dont believe diddy should be as high as he is, some people still dont utilize simple things like Instant throwing/Shield bouncing/other techs against him. Once mastery of things like these become commonplace, we'll see just how far diddy goes.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Diddy is easy to use you guys don't what is this flarble

The problem is that he is a better reaction character than a force your hand character. People throwing bananas forward and buffering a move immediately, under most cirsumstances, are doing it wrong. People throwing that Banana and seeing what happens... thumbs up.

Gnes knows. Dedede in my path? What he gonna do when I toss a banana at his shield and sit there? Nothing. Options gone.

Gnes

Smash Master

The problem is that he is a better reaction character than a force your hand character. People throwing bananas forward and buffering a move immediately, under most cirsumstances, are doing it wrong. People throwing that Banana and seeing what happens... thumbs up.

Gnes knows. Dedede in my path? What he gonna do when I toss a banana at his shield and sit there? Nothing. Options gone.
LMAFO i love u dmg, Though im gonna have to my throne of "Gayest diddy" back from u soon.

OverLade

Smash Hero
THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS.

Or if you're MK you can just throw a banana then tornado and the worst that can happen is the field gets reset to neutral.

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman

Wow so much truth in one post...

PS. I wonder what will eventually happen?

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too experienced with Diddy matchups in general, but it seems he plays a lot differently that most of the other characters, which is why he does better against MK. His advantages all come from unfamiliarity, and that can't last forever. Eventually, MK's everywhere will finally get the matchup, and Diddy will be proven to not be a counter, just like we've been saying all along.

Veril

Frame Savant
Nobody thinks planking should be legal!
Only MK's planking is worth actually banning. No other character can even execute a single aerial with complete invulnerability from ledge-drop iirc. This said I like the challenge of being required to actually prove this, and that is exactly what I'm going to do (over the next few weeks).

Yeah, I'm just gonna go find those now. I'd be amazed if it was anything so complex I couldn't figure it out with some testing.

Why don't people bring about human error when it comes to planking? Frame perfect planking for a whole 8 minute match? I don't think its possible realistically. Scrooging however i can agree. :/.
Perfect planking isn't that hard lol

Buffering + ledge-grab distance + only requires 3 moves (up-air x2 and dimensional cape) = not that hard.

Gnes

Smash Master
Only MK's planking is worth actually banning. No other character can even execute a single aerial with complete invulnerability from ledge-drop iirc. This said I like the challenge of being required to actually prove this, and that is exactly what I'm going to do (over the next few weeks).

Yeah, I'm just gonna go find those now. I'd be amazed if it was anything so complex I couldn't figure it out with some testing.

Perfect planking isn't that hard lol

Buffering + ledge-grab distance + only requires 3 moves (up-air x2 and dimensional cape) = not that hard.
Its not at all...its so funny...lol. After playing anti last night i got frustrated and started trying stuff in training mode with mk.

And i completely agree with what u said about perfect planking.

U might need a person to test how really valid the stuff u find out is.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
^^ aren't you the guy who "feels very strongly about banning meta knight and tends to rely a lot on logical fallacies to win argments?"

lol

Remind me how you're going from one ledge to the other without... errr... making the ledge grab counter go up?
MK doesn't have to grab the ledge.
MK can UpB onto the edge, and he can Tornado up and around the edge, landing in the middle of the stage.

As for Japes, I have no idea why it's banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom