• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Hey what do you know Umbreon. Mango just got ***** by Kage. I guess the Melee metagame is evolving huh?
OMG I KNOW RIGHT?!!! Did you see all those crazy new tricks Kage was pulling out? I've never seen a Ganon do THAT before.

Oh wait no, he just Fair'd and spaced really well.

Kage is beast, but Ganon is still Ganon, nothing has changed.

otg

Smash Master
OMG I KNOW RIGHT?!!! Did you see all those crazy new tricks Kage was pulling out? I've never seen a Ganon do THAT before.

Oh wait no, he just Fair'd and spaced really well.

Kage is beast, but Ganon is still Ganon, nothing has changed.
ok once again. I am NOT saying **** about Ganon. I still think Ganon (and Jiggs) both suck balls, it IS the players who make the character, not the other way around. My post was at a comment umbreon made a few days ago, stating that Melee has stopped evolving and proof of that was the fact that no one could touch Mango. Well, there you have it, Mango lost.

THAT IS IT, **** GANON. **** JIGGS. They both suck.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
The characters make the metagame, not the players. If the general skill of the players has increased that says NOTHING about the metagame.
What? Metagame is the strategies for winning outside of the game's rules. How the heck do the CHARACTERS make the metagame? People evolve it by discovering what characters already have or improve already known strategies.

pockyD

Smash Legend
The characters make the metagame, not the players. If the general skill of the players has increased that says NOTHING about the metagame.
player skill evolving (aka increased proficiency in using the characters) is pretty much ALL that matters concerning the metagame. everyone knows that the game itself doesn't change, stop bringing that up; it's our application and perception of the parameters the game defines that evolves, and as players get better, the way we evaluate their use of their characters (and subsequently the characters' abilities) does as well

Incronaut

Smash Ace
ok once again. I am NOT saying **** about Ganon. I still think Ganon (and Jiggs) both suck balls, it IS the players who make the character, not the other way around. My post was at a comment umbreon made a few days ago, stating that Melee has stopped evolving and proof of that was the fact that no one could touch Mango. Well, there you have it, Mango lost.

THAT IS IT, **** GANON. **** JIGGS. They both suck.
haha i got the original post when i read it, AND thought people would start thinking you were saying ganon is top tier
which he is

t3h Icy

Smash Master
In my uneducated opinion:

Top Tier
Fox
Falco
Jigglypuff
Sheik
Marth

High Tier
Falcon
Peach
Ganon
ICs
Samus

Middle Tier
Doc
and other stuff

Incronaut

Smash Ace
does changing the stages that are legal affect the tier list?

cause aren't the bounds of tiers within the rules of the game (or tournament rules)?

or is that something different? -.-

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
player skill evolving (aka increased proficiency in using the characters) is pretty much ALL that matters concerning the metagame. everyone knows that the game itself doesn't change, stop bringing that up; it's our application and perception of the parameters the game defines that evolves, and as players get better, the way we evaluate their use of their characters (and subsequently the characters' abilities) does as well
The game HAS changed over the years in terms of what's legal, what's doable and what's known. Character strategies have changed over time and uses for certain moves have been discovered.
/semantics

General player skill has definitely increased over the last few years but for the most part that doesn't matter. Every character is still being played almost exactly like they were a year ago, there has been NO character development to speak of for the majority of the cast, no new strategies, nothing. To argue that the tier list needs to change would be to argue that somehow characters have suddenly reached some then unknown untapped potential that no one knew about 2 years ago. Why does jigglypuff need to move up? Because no one can beat Jigglypuff? Why does marth need to move down? Because no one plays Marth? Im very much against changing the tier list because as of now there's little to no proof that anything has actually changed since '07, other than the characters being played.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Then you argee that falcon is just as good as jigglypuff right pink reaper. There have been new things discovered but if I talk about it everyone will be P***ed at me no it isn't the jab reset rest or the roll throw thing.

woah crap I looked at the rom2 thing and 3 puffs came in top 5 in 1st, 3rd, and 5th place wow that's crazy

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

pockyD

Smash Legend
ok, can you give me an example of something that happened in the "metagame" (or what you seem to believe is the metagame) that influenced the last tier list?

aside from wobbling being popular/banned (which i personally don't think affected very much concerning how the game is played at the top levels), what caused the changes at the top of the list? more importantly (and confusingly), what caused the changes at the bottom?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
It strikes me that the tier list should be influenced by actual, tangible results and statistics, otherwise, what solid proof do you have for building a tier list in the first place?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I think the Falco metagame has changed a ****load over the past couple years. It's evolved so much.

D

Deleted member

I def agree. One of his arguments was no one could touch mango and well.... here we go.
I know that alcohol makes you play worse. Having opponents drink heavily a few hours before your set is top tier.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Or, or, or Jman and Tuar were just playing bad too.

Everyone was playing bad exceot Hbox, Kage, PP.

:)

Betcha didn't think about that, eh?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
ok, can you give me an example of something that happened in the "metagame" (or what you seem to believe is the metagame) that influenced the last tier list?

aside from wobbling being popular/banned (which i personally don't think affected very much concerning how the game is played at the top levels), what caused the changes at the top of the list? more importantly (and confusingly), what caused the changes at the bottom?
Im going to be honest, I've asked alot of people who voted on that last tier list, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why the bottom of the tier list changed. I have been given no real reason why G&W suddenly jumped a tier, so I couldn't give you a reason if I wanted to.

The top of the tier list however barely changed at all, it's been very much the same as it is now for years back. The only real change to the tier list was Jiggs, which can be attributed to Mango, and I don't mean "Mango's soooooooo good, jiggs moves up" I mean that mango was the first top level rest oriented Jiggs player. His style shifted Jiggs' metagame to a more Rest-centered style of play, improving her game by alot.

I do agree with Choknater however, I believe Falco's metagame has changed quite a bit over the last year, especially with laser control. But beyond that many characters haven't really changed.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
that proves you don't know what you're talking about cause NES Noob never knees cause it's too dangerous. it's better to just uair and get right back to dash dancing.

also, you're wrong about Falco, the biggest advancements in Falco's game over the past 1-2 years have been in his shield pressure and combo game. lasers are actually much less valuable now than they were previously because everyone at the mid-high end of play nowadays can powershield like a level 9 cpu.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Falcon should be higher due to his manlyness...

...discuss
Actually I devised a sort of personal tier list based on matches I've seen.

This is how it goes (in-order):

Top:
Fox
Marth
Falco
CF

High:
Shiek
Puff
Peach
Doc
ICs

Middle:
Samus
Mario
Luigi
Pikachu
Yoshi

Low:
Link
G&W
Young Link
Roy
Zelda
Ness

Bottom:
M2
Ganon
Bowser
DK
Kirby
Pichu

This is what I think. Is it too scrubby/fail?

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
well if you didn't have ANY exposure to the actual tier list then it is decent i guess lol.
wait ganon bottom lol

There definitely wasn't any true "metagame" (or whatever the hell you want to call it) advancement in the past year/two years, but i think that there is just a possibility that the tier list of two years ago was just wrong. At this point in time, we have seen a spectacular main for each and every character on the tier list. I DON'T think that this was the case before Mango won Pound 3.
I believe we should change the tier list to reflect what people think of now (now, meaning from the past two years). I've seen a lot of posts saying that Ken wouldn't do well if he played now. I think this is complete BS (as long as Ken kept up his tech skill). I won't say he will win a national now, but he would definitely place very high.
Anyway, what i am getting at is at this point we have seen a main for each character TO THE MAX (or at least verrryyyyy close to the max). We should use that info (the best person's playstyle, etc) to create a tier list (which wouldn't change dramatically anyway).

P.S. i think it's dumb to lower marth because there aren't any representatives now. marth is still **** good, and people just don't main marth for different reasons, and trust me i can think of a lot ^_^

strawhats

Smash Master
what you talkin 'bout willis... M2K is still king of Marth (he just stopped practicing) thats all...not to worry he's been practicing lately and is on the rise to ****** with marth again. (he just needs to learn how to foght jiggz) even though he can still beat HBOX, as he is now.

Ken will always be King of Marth (old school)

Dont forget about Azen, Tink , HBK, Strawhat Dahean (from Europe)

Cactuar..why you stop playing marth?

OneWing_Angel

Smash Apprentice

Top:
Fox
Marth
Falco
CF

High:
Shiek
Puff
Peach
Doc
ICs

Middle:
Samus
Mario
Luigi
Pikachu
Yoshi

Low:
Link
G&W
Young Link
Roy
Zelda
Ness

Bottom:
M2
Ganon
Bowser
DK
Kirby
Pichu

There's a lot of fail. CF is not top tier. He's barely high tier IMO. Ganon is a great character, nowhere NEAR bottom tier. He's top of Mid/Bottom of high. Sheik is still a top tier character...

EDIT: Forgot DK. DK is a good character, mid tier for sure.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
There's never been a good pichu main and I would be amazed if there ever will be maybe a great amazing pichu player(we lack one) but never a main no is that crazy and can endure.

That list is fail I wouldn't even comment on it.

BUt if you want a new useful tech eat your heart out I,ve known this forever and in this clip i,m trying to use it to combo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDF7VX1yi_0&feature=channel take that you reds this is fairly useful for approach and junk you can use this to punish things from far away too makeing me wish I played more falcos maybe laser punishment if they shoot to high and seeing how you can do it out of your sheild you should be alright. This is fairly untapped right now

change the list j-puff is better than falcon MAYBE peach, kirby is way to high,and a fair amount of little things could be changed in mid to bottom after the puff change the top and high should be good.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master

(fail list)

Yeah, that list sucks.

what you talkin 'bout willis... M2K is still king of Marth (he just stopped practicing) thats all...not to worry he's been practicing lately and is on the rise to ****** with marth again. (he just needs to learn how to foght jiggz) even though he can still beat HBOX, as he is now.

Ken will always be King of Marth (old school)

Dont forget about Azen, Tink , HBK, Strawhat Dahean (from Europe)

Cactuar..why you stop playing marth?
Don't forget G$ and Taj. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom