• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Stevo

Smash Champion
does that mean you think Pichu is the best of the worst? cause I'm open to that.

I agree Bowser is terrible, but I just can't see anything that ness has to offer. if you want quick double jump cancels, Yoshi is marginally better

man Im bored at work

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
just cuz yoshi is better doesnt mean ness' djc's are bad. he can space with fair pretty well in a lot of matchups.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
nah they weren't that bad... Btw Ness is pretty fun, I sorta like him...

Not like yoshi's bad or anything, so ness can't be much harder right??

/trolling

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Pichu has high-tier movement. If you look at the bottom characters on paper, you will see others with more range, priority, etc. than Pichu, but when it comes down to it, being able to move quickly is what's really important.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
I'm unimpressed with Link lately. I think Young Link is possibly better.
I agree. This game is so focused on speed, so it would make sense that YL would fare better in that kind of environment than Link. Plus Link is easily comboed, and is actually easier to kill on stages like DL and FD.

However, there is always the Falco MU to overcome for YL.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yeah, somewhat. just gotta get in range and make sure he doesn't block it. an excellent move to nail though, against fox as well.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Young Link feels better vs Sheik. Young Link is better vs Puff. Young Link is probably better vs Peach. Fox ***** them about equally hard. Not sure about the rest of the cast. Still, off those four it seems reasonable to say he's better.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Who ever thought Link is better than YL in the first place, I've wondered about this for a while...

It's really close but I feel YL is better

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I thought Link was better than YL for a long time but lately I think Fox's ability to shut out Link with circle camping is too tough. That people are better at outprioritizing Nair nowadays also cuts into some of Link's primary stage control stuff, which blows. YL's better MUs against the floaties also matters more nowadays because people are actually playing them.

Link is also one of the unfortunate who haven't found a trick DI to escape Sheik's chain throw. Pikachu and YL get out around 40-50% now, which is still tough, but that's as much as a decent Falcon/Falco combo. Link still gets grabbed from 0-80%, which is actually a stock (or very close to one). He's also better combo food than Pika and YL for Uairs and things as a result of his weight.

So yeah. I think YL has found some important stuff that make him marginally better than Link. Mainly he doesn't die in one Sheik grab. Which is useful. He deals with Peach and Puff better; this is also useful. Falco, Fox, and Falcon are rough on both of them. Though I hear Link has been doing better vs the Cap'n lately so I'll reserve judgment on that one.

edit:

Link probably does better as you get into characters like Samus and Ganon. Which is definitely nice. I'm not sure it's enough to offset YL's superiority vs some common characters but who knows?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
link is slightly better against falcon, but that's not to say that ylink can do decently well. the better mobility just helps so much. it's extremely easy to combo and edgeguard falcon, as well as maintain neutral positions (aka holding a bomb) and not allow falcon to just do whatever he wants.

dying at 60% from a knee though... really, really hurts.

to edit the current tier list i personally would put puff below marth, and ylink over dk.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's a shame YL doesn't have Link's jab range.

But yeah I hear what you're saying. I think Link looks better vs Falcon too just because his range lets him compete with Falcon's dash stuff without needing bombs or similar setup as much. Being able to poke Falcon out of stuff is useful. And everyone can combo / tech chase / punish Falcon. Even Link.

YL over DK? Gonna have to explain that one for me. Not because I don't think it's possible but because I haven't played a DK in years. I dunno what's up with him. Is he still dash dance > Bair or grab? Up+B OOS? Uairs if they're above you? And other moves every now and then?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha the link point is true but like i said the better mobility makes up for it

as for dk

dk just has some terrible matchups such as ic's, spacies, peach, and even ylink himself haha. idk, i just support ylink cuz i use him a lot and know his tools, all i know about dk's tools are from playing vs mexican. dk in general is really bad vs projectile characters, or characters who are good against shields.

so.. i support ylink for the same point that i would put him above link... just better top tier matchups

i have played J666 (link) though and he seems to know top tier matchups really well, such as fox.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
bair, giant punch, dd grab, upb.

DK vs. Y. Link is like 6-4 at worst in y'ls favor. same with IC's (i played Fly Amanita for like 2 weeks after genesis). peach is somewhere between 6-4 and 7-3 (65-35 if u want).

N64

Smash Champion
KK, i don't know if I'm ready for Pikachu matchups to actually be relevant in the metagame. How dare Axe show this character's potential!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
axe is so good at bringing out pikachu's good stuff haha. i personally think he can actually defeat the people who he has trouble against here on wc (our new school safe players like s2j, macd, shroomed) he just has to make the right decisions. really good stuff

i personally wonder if i can be like the axe/taj of young link. i don't like how ic's are evolving to a more defensive style, so i whip out young link and falco so much more these days and they seem to work out much better for me. i do about equally well, and i especially surprise myself with young link. for example bizzarro flame can body my ice climbers with falcon, but my young link is way more consistent in the matchup.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Two of his biggest issues revolve around his own fragility and the longevity of the opponent.

Seeing them go to 150%+ while he dies at like 90% can be troublesome.

N64

Smash Champion
I think one of the main things that keeps Link up with YL in the tiers is his matchup with Fox. Neither character likes fighting Fox, of course, but i think Link has a more effective gameplan vs him. Link in general punishes Fox harder, has a much easier time recovering vs. Fox, and overall doesn't die nearly as fast. YL can catch and pester Fox a little bit better, but it's just too difficult to kill him, and any mistake can be life-threatening.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
killing fox is not as hard as u might think

for ylink vs fox, the main focus is getting a knockdown. ylink has several very fast moves to do that, such as dash attack, nair, uair underneath his jump, sh fair, or whatever. however, the best option is to bomb. after ylink gets the knockdown, you just have to capitalize on fox's wakeup options as much as possible. this is where ylink's grabs can get pretty good, however there aren't really any good grab combos aside from dthrow tech chasing. if ylink can't capitalize on the knockdown, he can choose to pull out another bomb. as long as the percent is high enough that a bomb will knock down, ylink can fight fox.

once fox is around 70~80ish, ylink can score quick hits such as nair or dash attack, or uthrow followups (not necessarily true combos) that will knock fox of the stage so that ylink can edgeguard. the matchup is possible, and i think it's about on par with link's. it just takes a lot more patience and tech skill.

just wanted to give a picture of the matchup. a nair against fox at around 110 usually puts him at a realllly bad position to get edgeguarded. unless it's dreamland or something, but that stage is good for the kid too.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
theres not. theres Wizzrobe.

and then theres Mr. Wizzrobe.

one clearly has hit puberty while the other is still trying to wack-a-mole

:troll:

Top Bottom