• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha well he is kind of a bad character!!

edit: to reiterate a closed topic:

where do you guys think sopo would be on the tier list?

he's pretty bad, tbh i'd put him between GW and yoshi.

0Room

Smash Lord
Eh
I haven't played enough SoPos to really know
But so far

bad
so I would agree with choknater

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yea i happen to main ic's and have played all the rest of the characters sooo

i'd put him pretty much on par with GW, or maybe slightly worse?

definitely better than ness though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
good aerial spacing game? actually it's not very good haha. his main strength is that he is a VERY mobile character, but his damage is minimal and hard for him to win spacing battles against most characters

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha well consider his aerial movement speed. his ground speed is much faster so in order to get in position for those moves, he has to run, or wd/waveland. bair hitbox has a really short duration so if you whiff that move you're in bad shape. because of slow horizontal aerial movement, uair is just gonna poke and won't lead to much, though it is probably his best aerial.

on his best punishes he can score like 20~30ish percent.

0Room

Smash Lord
Well as Falcon at least SoPo is mad easy to get around
Fox can do it too obviously
Falco basically just goes "***** please"

I just don't see him getting in by himself substantially more than with Nana
But I guess he has some speed, it's just not as much as you imply
He doesn't become Fox when he doesn't have a lady to hold him down

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's a different kind of mobility. it's kinda like luigi but better because of better jump/fall speed. however his damage and hitboxes are nowhere near as good as luigi's

he's quick haha gotta see some real sopo action! wavelands and stuff

Zoler

Smash Ace
Would popo be ok to play in low tier tournies of you let them kill ur nana every new stock lol

0Room

Smash Lord
it's a different kind of mobility. it's kinda like luigi but better because of better jump/fall speed. however his damage and hitboxes are nowhere near as good as luigi's
That's what I was thinking was the best comparison
And even so
that mobility just doesn't count for much especially with his lack of good punishes

Stevo

Smash Champion
was it here I was talking about how Falcon has some trouble with Peach for the most part because of her dash attack?
no wait, I think it was that "Peach for top tier?" thread which is now closed.

if those people ever see this thread, seriously, just watch S2J vs. Armada ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x-h8kdnnkw&feature=grec_index ) and tell me he doesnt get ***** by dash attack. In the second match Armada almost spams it at some points.

Obviously getting a grab on falcon is great, but that shouldn't happen very often.

Just had to get that off my chest. Carry on.

I also think DK is too high and has been since Bum did that one tournament run.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yeah 0room, i'm not arguing with you, i am agreeing with you in the argument that popo is bad. just saying that mobility is his greatest strength, albeit his greatest strength

stevo: hm i can see that being true. it's one of her best moves against marth as well. it just catches people off guard because it's her best horizontal move and has a ridiculous hitbox, and leads to stuff. if it beats marth's aerials, i'm sure it'll beat any other character's aerials haha.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yeah. 'good enough to avoid negligible tier' is his most accurate description.

good enough to make sheiks mad when i cg them with just popo hahaha

Stevo

Smash Champion
I'm bored at work so I'm gonna write some stuff about the tier list.

I still love the fact that Mario ended up DIRECTLY in the middle
I guess he is only the exact middle ground if you consider Zelda a part of sheik, though. Still, he is the only one with a precise average score like that too.

But it is crazy that Doc and Mario are so far from eachother, as they are arguably the most similar characters. (although, still quite different) It really goes to show how small changes to a character can make a big difference.

Changes I think should be made in the next list

DK should move under the Links, as he just does not perform well against most of the top characters, nor has anyone really shown anything to add to his game.

Zelda should move down, as she does well only until you figure out how to play against her, then she is sub-par.

Roy is, well, Roy, and honestly is just a Fastfaller with Marth grab game, minus good air attacks to take advantage of those traits. plus bad recovery. would move him down a spot or two.

and I guess I would give in to the younglink lovers and put YL above Adult link. (in addition to being above DK) so YL would move up 2 spots

0Room

Smash Lord
Stevo
Dash attack rapessssssssss if you don't know the spacing on it

Though as far as that goes it doesn't really go here, unless you want her to move up a tier because of that lol

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Popo is above Popo+Nana together 'cause everyone thinks Popo sucks on his own so they play worse after they kill Nana thinking it's easy **** but then they get mindgamed ***** by an ice pick.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Changes I think should be made in the next list

DK should move under the Links, as he just does not perform well against most of the top characters, nor has anyone really shown anything to add to his game.

and I guess I would give in to the younglink lovers and put YL above Adult link. (in addition to being above DK) so YL would move up 2 spots
the three are all similar in tournament viability. i really don't care where you put who as long as they're together in the same 3 char spot.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
SoNa can attack out of Up B, has the longest moon-walk in the game, can't solo squall and has a weird Up Throw that sometimes knocks people onto platforms from below.

She definitely deserves her own spot on the tier list because of those differences.

Varist

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is a lot better than Roy and Zelda. Seriously, Zelda above Mewtwo? How the **** did that happen?

1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQ6YGX-vNs
2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiYhjriLt6k

What does Zelda have on the **** Taj pulls off in these videos? Mewtwo got those gimps, those edgeguards (better than peach's imo cus floaty) and Roy's just mediocre no one plays him put Mewtwo above Roy at least for the simple fact that Mewtwo is actually played sometimes in tournaments. God, Mewtwo is **** :mewtwo: :150:

edit: don't move DK's position in the tier list, but do bump him into E tier. The disparity between DK and Luigi/Mario/PIKACHU is too great for him to be there. DK above the Links in E just seems more right to me. My opinions though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm? mew2's hitboxes are just very poor and it's hard for him to get in because of that. zelda can play a very defensive style and just use 2 moves and beat foxes haha. add in usmash OOS, dsmash/fsmash stuff, her jab, and her dash attack that's similar to peach's... you have a solid defensive character

cosmo's zelda

is really really good

Varist

Smash Lord
just because Zelda can beat Foxes doesn't mean she's better than Mewtwo. . . =(
Lots of moves have bad hitboxes but good spacing and timing mitigates that entirely. Like CF's grab. But he still gets grabs and ***** with them! And just because Zelda has isolated similarities with higher-tier characters isn't that good a contention for her viability.

Mewtwo's got a lot of great points that could be turned into a list and written down (i.e. mewtwo's x beats zelda's y, like their recoveries, etc.) but mostly what I want to base the theorycraft on is the fact that it just seems like Taj's Mewtwo does better against pros than Cosmo's (or Lake's) Zelda. I watched Zelda videos for the last ~half hour and I'm not seeing it. And come to think of it, I guess if Mewtwo really wanted to beat Fox he could up-b ledge stall for several minutes. Mostly though Mewtwo's just mad cool and deserves to be king of F tier.

Varist

Smash Lord
Just because Taj > Cosmo isnt really a good argument for Mewtwo > Zelda
Mango > World was a good enough argument for Puff > Falcon / Peach / Shiek / Marth

Come on MBR, it'll feel so right once it's done. Mewtwo, subjugate of Taj, victor of Genesis 2 and various friendlies, King of F Tier.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Mango > World was a good enough argument for Puff > Falcon / Peach / Shiek / Marth

Come on MBR, it'll feel so right once it's done. Mewtwo, subjugate of Taj, victor of Genesis 2 and various friendlies, King of F Tier.
no

"mango > world" brought jigglypuff = to falcon and still worse than fox, marth, sheik, and falco

it wasn't until hbox and darc also started placing well with puff + mango proving that he can play any character well (and therefore showing puff's viability compared to how he played the other top tiers and how he placed with them) that brought puff to where she is now.

and i hope you realize taj went almost all marth for genesis 2

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
but he used him in winner's finals therefore he used mewtwo in the entire tourney :troll:

Varist

Smash Lord
no

"mango > world" brought jigglypuff = to falcon and still worse than fox, marth, sheik, and falco

it wasn't until hbox and darc also started placing well with puff + mango proving that he can play any character well (and therefore showing puff's viability compared to how he played the other top tiers and how he placed with them) that brought puff to where she is now.

and i hope you realize taj went almost all marth for genesis 2
You're saying no one in MBR, while deliberating Jiggs's new placement, talked about Mango's overwhelming success? Or that Mango didn't matter as much as Hbox and Darc? disagree.

But you did bring something else up.

Mango > World made Puff > Shiek / Marth / Peach / Falcon AND Doc / IC / Samus.

So what if Taj went almost all Marth for Genesis 2? Just makes this easier. borrowing your quote, modifying it

taj proving that he can play marth well (and therefore showing mewtwo's viability compared to how he played another top tier and how he placed with him)
Taj didn't do THAT bad with Mewtwo. I'd say he did half as well as he did with Marth. We're still talking about F tier here. Mewtwo deserves King of F tier, he's waited long enough imo, Taj has been with him for years and still doing cool Mewtwo ****, give him his due. Hell, people thought Mewtwo was 14th before, they had him placed above Zelda once, and above Roy twice, so the argument that it's outlandish can't even be made.

:150:

Top Bottom