• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
This is my tier list, it's just my opinion so don't be harsh
Top Tier
1. Falco
2. Puff
3. Peach

High tier
4. Sheik
5. Fox(like when was the last time he won anything)
6. ICs(sooo underrated)
7. Pika

Mid tier
8. Young Link
9.Falcon
10. Marth(so many gaping flaws)

Low tier
11. Mewtwo
everyone else
26. Pichu

Mahone

Smash Champion
Rofl u ****ing scrub...

S TIER
1. Y.link/Peach
2. Puff

A TIER
3. Fox
4. Falco
5. Sheik
6. Falcon
7. Doc

UNPLAYABLE TIER
17. Marth

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
like...armada is one person. Just because he can beat hbox with a low tier doesn't mean he's higher. I do believe he is better than falcon because falcon can't take that match up but he can...however I can't find any other instance that definitevly puts yl above puff. I
ll do some research though to make sure

edit: I found this and I guess I see where you coming from but in this ruleset YL is serverly gaping holes flaws stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJq5JM1ygA

Warhawk

Smash Lord
like...armada is one person. Just because he can beat hbox with a low tier doesn't mean he's higher. I do believe he is better than falcon because falcon can't take that match up but he can...however I can't find any other instance that definitevly puts yl above puff. I
ll do some research though to make sure

edit: I found this and I guess I see where you coming from but in this ruleset YL is serverly gaping holes flaws stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJq5JM1ygA
Pretty sure he's trolling you because he thinks your list is ridiculous. To be fair it kinda is a bit weird, I mean Young Link is good against the more floaty high tiers but the rest murder him pretty good. I personally wouldn't even put him above Luigi.

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
its sad because marths flaws still aren't as gaping as his *** after the ridiculous amount of time he has been *****

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It is impossible for me to put to words how I feel right now, about any of this.

Lol, this website.

john!

Smash Hero
i'm pretty bored so i guess i'll post my opinion of the current tier list so we can get back to a little more sanity

[COLLAPSE="list"]this list represents the characters that have the most potential for success in a high level competitive melee tournament.

top tier:
fox/falco

high tier:
sheik
puff
marth
peach
falcon

mid tier:
ic's
samus
doc
ganon
pikachu
luigi

low tier:
young link
mario
link
zelda
yoshi
dk
g&w

bottom tier:
roy
mewtwo
ness
bowser
pichu
kirby

i put fox and falco in a tier of their own because they have always been dominant and will continue to be dominant at all levels of competitive play for the foreseeable future. i also tied them because there are so many good users of either/both characters that they both have a legitimate claim to the #1 spot

the next tier represents characters that are very viable in tournament but have gone through different phases of popularity and recognition. they all currently have a number of good players, but lack the sheer amount of modern tournament success at the top level by multiple players to qualify them for the top tier. i considered tying marth/peach, but the pool of marth players goes deeper and more top players have marth as a secondary.

mid tier characters are viable at almost all levels, but i can't picture them winning a national. their flaws are more obvious.

low tier characters are difficult to use successfully in tournament. their use in competitive play is limited to either a select few dedicated players, counterpicking a specific matchup, or mango ****ing around.

bottom tier characters are absent from top level play and rarely ever seen at a competitive level.
[/COLLAPSE]

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
its hard to tell when people are serious or trolling anymore i get laughs from this site on occasion i think that is what keeps me coming back
its because theres plenty of people who plainly state their opinion.
then after the huge backlash then can easily go "lolz i trolled u scrub" even though that might genuinely be their real opinion

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it happens when there's no consequence for trolling

even though I get infracted whenever I say brawl is **** LMAO

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
funnily enough, this is what i was thinking before i made a satirical example of it through trolling. no this is not my opinion but if you want it to be then lol peach is so OP

The Star King

Smash Hero
its hard to tell when people are serious or trolling anymore i get laughs from this site on occasion i think that is what keeps me coming back
lol dude it was painfully oblivious

Nobody who isn't a complete scrub thinks, say, Young Link is better than Marth

you people are mad gullible

Fletch

Smash Master
top tier:
fox/falco

high tier:
sheik
puff
marth
peach
falcon

mid tier:
ic's
samus
doc
ganon
pikachu
luigi

low tier:
young link
mario
link
zelda
yoshi
dk
g&w

bottom tier:
roy
mewtwo
ness
bowser
pichu
kirby
I like your list a lot except for a few small changes I'd make. I don't see Mario being a whole tier worse than Doc; I would put him at the bottom of mid tier as he seems way better than the characters he's with in low tier. Fox/Falco are probably the two best (I think Falco is better, but it is so damn close it's hard to argue), but they are not that much better than the rest of the tier below them, or at least the gap isn't as big as some of the other gaps in the tier list. Roy sucks but not sure he sucks enough to be with the rest of **** tier, but hard to tell without more people playing him... guess you could say that about all the scrub characters though.

Overall, good list.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I like John's list, especially the Luigi/Mario placement. You just think Samus is underrated or what? I guess I can deal with DK being that low. Alsa, Zelda. She's awful in high tier play. Here's a random vid I found of one of the top Zelda's against a top Falco. Even with Shiz's limited knowledge, he bodies him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnWuY0-WVos

It should go without saying but; I'm not saying Shiz winning this match means Zelda is **** tier, i'm just trying to show why I think she is so bad. She's slow and has awful hit boxes and moevment.

D

Deleted member

I like John's list, especially the Luigi/Mario placement. You just think Samus is underrated or what? I guess I can deal with DK being that low. Alsa, Zelda. She's awful in high tier play. Here's a random vid I found of one of the top Zelda's against a top Falco. Even with Shiz's limited knowledge, he bodies him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnWuY0-WVos

It should go without saying but; I'm not saying Shiz winning this match means Zelda is **** tier, i'm just trying to show why I think she is so bad. She's slow and has awful hit boxes and moevment.
when i played shiz at rom1, after 2 matches he wouldn't play falco against me and only played fox.

zelda loses to falco but it's really not that bad. i knocked out all of the top falcos except PC with zelda until i stopped going to tournaments, and i also narrowly lost to both mango and dr pp (like last stock last hit, ****ed up the edge guard, etc) but i account that to player skill more than the matchup. zelda sucks but she can fight falco decently.

zelda sucks in high tier play because 30% of your bracket matches are against fox and that match is impossible.

Cosmo is the only Zelda

and sometimes Mow
i'm not nearly good enough at the character atm, i've been focusing more on fox for dynamics so i haven't really touched her.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I think we should base this list off of the average ELO for each character.

ICs - 1320
Fox - 1310
Falco - 1300
Sheik - 1300
DK - 1288
Marth - 1286
Jigglypuff - 1283
Peach - 1280
Falcon - 1277
Roy - 1276
Samus - 1268
Luigi - 1253
Doc - 1246
Link - 1241
Pikachu - 1239
Ganondorf - 1235
Mario - 1227
Zelda - 1211
Yoshi - 1206
Bowser - 1201
G&W - 1193
YL - 1188
Kirby - 1184
Ness - 1184
Pichu -1159
Mewtwo - 1112

Just for comparison's sake, if we choose to rank characters by the highest ELO main, then we get:

Peach - 2155
Puff - 2026
Falco - 1997
Sheik - 1989
ICs - 1909
Fox - 1890
Doc - 1885
Falcon - 1852
Marth - 1807
Pikachu - 1802
Luigi - 1719
Samus - 1711
Ganondorf - 1684
Zelda - 1521
DK - 1485
Link - 1481
Roy - 1473
G&W - 1470
Yoshi - 1396
Mario - 1366
Ness - 1313
Bowser - 1311
YL - 1269
Kirby - 1216
Pichu - 1199
Mewtwo - 1141

john!

Smash Hero
You just think Samus is underrated or what?
only shroomed and HMW come to mind when i think of doc mains who have had a lot of recent success.

samus on the other hand has a bunch of good, active players (hugs, darrell, plup, duck, rat, spaceballs, etc.) and i think people are starting to respect how good she can be if the player knows what they're doing

Roy sucks but not sure he sucks enough to be with the rest of **** tier, but hard to tell without more people playing him... guess you could say that about all the scrub characters though.
god i hate roy, how the hell do people win with that character LOL

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
only shroomed and HMW come to mind when i think of doc mains who have had a lot of recent success.

samus on the other hand has a bunch of good, active players (hugs, darrell, plup, duck, rat, spaceballs, etc.) and i think people are starting to respect how good she can be if the player knows what they're doing
there just comes a point where you realize that sometimes there are more players using a character because that character is more popular

doc and samus are like really similar in tourney viability; there are just more sami

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
The issue lies in what we believe the fundamentals for a tier list should be, which is why the disagreements keep happening, and why they will never really be resolved.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
In 2 or 3 years people will have figured out what armada is doing right now to be so consistently successful, just like for m2k and mango in the past. One thing I've noticed is his ability to maximize damage output. In a metagame where everyone good has damage output that is as good as his is now, would fox and falco be better or worse?

While were at it, lets be honest with the trends in our current metagame. For the past year or two, we have seen peach go even in her two hardest match-ups, Fox and Marth. We've also seen Sheik go even in her worst match-ups, Fox, Falco and Puff. At the same time we've seen foxes drop off and marth "go even with" (read: lose to) everyone in the top 5. Fox #1 is nostalgic and theoretical all at once, but results don't really show that right now. Maybe Javi will win FC, but until then, no.

[collapse=Content]I think we should base this list off of the average ELO for each character.

ICs - 1320
Fox - 1310
Falco - 1300
Sheik - 1300
DK - 1288
Marth - 1286
Jigglypuff - 1283
Peach - 1280
Falcon - 1277
Roy - 1276
Samus - 1268
Luigi - 1253
Doc - 1246
Link - 1241
Pikachu - 1239
Ganondorf - 1235
Mario - 1227
Zelda - 1211
Yoshi - 1206
Bowser - 1201
G&W - 1193
YL - 1188
Kirby - 1184
Ness - 1184
Pichu -1159
Mewtwo - 1112

Just for comparison's sake, if we choose to rank characters by the highest ELO main, then we get:

Peach - 2155
Puff - 2026
Falco - 1997
Sheik - 1989
ICs - 1909
Fox - 1890
Doc - 1885
Falcon - 1852
Marth - 1807
Pikachu - 1802
Luigi - 1719
Samus - 1711
Ganondorf - 1684
Zelda - 1521
DK - 1485
Link - 1481
Roy - 1473
G&W - 1470
Yoshi - 1396
Mario - 1366
Ness - 1313
Bowser - 1311
YL - 1269
Kirby - 1216
Pichu - 1199
Mewtwo - 1141[/collapse]
I wouldn't mind doing statistics like this if we could qualify some of it. To compensate for how popular certain characters are over others, we should only count players that are over a certain Elo, say the starting Elo (1200).

Andy Lawliet

Smash Cadet
Fox never really had the results to back up his undisputed #1 ranking.
Looking back to all the top players there really wasn't any Fox player who dominated a scene like Jigglypuff, Marth, Sheik, Falco and Peach did.
Fox always used to be a solid backup character for most top players and from time to time there've been quite a few Fox mains placing very good, but yeah...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Marth is definitely not one of her hardest matchups, lol. It's the second easiest out of the top/high tiers (excluding the ditto).

Top Bottom