• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Marth Counterpicking Discussion *Currently Discussing Pokemon Trainer*

3xSwords

Smash Lord
So it seems like the stages come down to this

Ban: Luigi's Mansion, Halberd, Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, Brinstar, Delfino, Frigate Orpheon
CP: Smashville, FD, Delfino, Castle Siege

Luigi's Mansion - Screws up Grab release. The small tight space allows MK to rack up damage almost 2-fold his normal rate and a missed tech could be the difference between a 30% combo and a 60% one (both which are horrible). Besides that MK benefits greatly from this stage, because he will most likely live a lot longer if he can tech and the house is still alive. He can get kinda of an early kill of the top floor with u-throw and generally anytime that you aren't on the bottom floor and he is, you're screwed.

The edge here is also horrible, IMO worse than FD's lip and it's easier to screw up here because the actual edge is hidden from view. DS here is horrible in general, you have noticeable air time if you DS anywhere on the stage. You probably want to destroy the house as quickly as you can, and although this stage gives MK many perks you can still outspace him. Just that the tight space makes it very difficult.

Halberd - Essentially the stage is one big platform and if MK decides to just try and attack you from underneath you only have a couple of options to stop him from doing so. When the stage comes to a rest then it's not as difficult for you. The various stage effects can either hurt you or save you. If you ever unexpectadely get hit by the claw while jumping it's like an auto gimp. You can SDI out of the laser beam so it's not that bad and the big cannon ball you can counter it if it comes down to that.

Rainbow Cruise - Just plain crap for Marth. Even if Marth wins in terms of spacing MK avoids this if he can employ simple hit and run tactics. Every moment a gimp can occur and anytime you are forced to use your DS you can get screwed pretty badly. This is very dependent on whether or not MK screws up or not but we're assuming the MK won't so... yeah. This is IMO the worst stage for Marth and is when you start looking into CP characters.

Not only that but the boat itself is horrible for Marth. MK can dtilt infinite you and he can rack up so much damage from ledge traps. This stage in particular seems as though you're options are greatly reduced when on the ledge.

B/c I'm lazy
Norfair - Planking to the max for both characters besides random gay *** stage effects
Brinstar - Lava, Platform like stage = Gayness from MK
Frigate Orpheon - You can lose before the stage flips because of that stupid no edge right side

In-between
Delfino
This is very interesting. While MK still has the ability to hit you through the stage and get very early kills from the water and walk off stages you have perks as well. If you ever grab release near the walk off edge you have a guaranteed kill. You have a dtilt infinite (so does MK) and the water can be a early spike kill. This is really dependent on what the player feels. If you feel you can take your advantages to the max than go for it, I personally feel that this stage is more leaned towards MK than Marth.

CP's

Smashville - "It's like Final Destination but it has a platform" - Jeremy
Essentially why most feel this is the stage to CP since it's probably the closest you can probably get to FD. Fairly straight forward fight and the platform has minimal influence due to it being moving. Not only can you get a free f-smash if you catch him on the moving platform but you essentially have a 0-death. It's simple if you grab MK and the direction you are facing is the direction that the platform is moving, you're in luck. You can simply walk>regrab out of grab release and then finish it off with an f-smash or DS or whatever to get the early kill near the edge. Situational but nonetheless a 0-death.

FD - Flat stage, nothing that gives you an advantage, nothing that really gives MK an advantage. Unfortunately this is probably the best you can reduce this match up to, a straight forward fight.

Castle Siege - This is actually a pretty good CP. The second transformation has walk off edges which can be an equivalent to a early grab release kill and the third transformation is a psuedo-FD with a gayer edge. The first stage can be a problem as MK can work really well in small spaces and if you aren't careful can get the early gimp to start the match.

The ideal is to ban the stage you hate the most and have a secondary character to cover for the other stages that you couldn't ban. Of course all of you guys are Marth-only right? :p

Hype

Smash Lord
What about corneria. MK doesn't have good vertical kill moves, very small boundaries, the wall, and marth DS is so pro under the fin.

Whats the deal with MKs Dtilt infinite? what percent does it roughly go to? Can marth DS out of it?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
What about corneria. MK doesn't have good vertical kill moves, very small boundaries, the wall, and marth DS is so pro under the fin.

Whats the deal with MKs Dtilt infinite? what percent does it roughly go to? Can marth DS out of it?
Marth should be able to DS out, if not itll eventually cause a trip and you can up b then. Also yeah, Corneria worked well as a MK cp for me, for the reasons you said.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
So, since we're stuck with either Luigi's Manshon or Rainbow cruise for MK's counter-pick, perhaps we should be looking at characters to pull on those stages rather then sticking with Marth.

Problem is, none of the near-neutral match-ups with MK do well in either of those stages, for example both royally screw Yoshi's grab release combos.

Eh, I'm thinking that probably best option is go with Snake for MK's counter and ban Luigi's Manson, Snake is difficult to gimp so he doesn't suffer as much from the stage as some others, but it also messes with his camping game.

Thoughts?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Stages that MK can choose that will severely handicap a Marth include...

Yoshi's Island, Rainbow Cruise, Luigi's Mansion, Delfino Plaza, and Frigate. Marth has a really hard time fighting MK on all of these stages. On some of these, it's near impossible. Because of the current rules, a Marth player will most likely lose or will be forced to switch characters because victory isn't possible on Metaknight's counter pick as Marth. :(

If you want to beat a good MK in a set, you better win game 1. You -must- win game 1. If you don't win game 1, the MK player is going to CP you game 3, assuming you win game 2, in which case game 3 is pretty much an auto loss if you decide to stay Marth.

I don't mean to sound negative, but this is the truth. It's almost the same exact situation for DK mains, because a DK main is almost always going to lose game 2 in tournament because someone who really wants to win will CP DeDeDe. If you don't win game 1 as DK, you lose the set, unless you switch to MK.

∫unk

Smash Master
I haven't seen a Marth win it all at a significant tourney since... ever.

I don't think there was one in the top 8 at WCSL :/

We got this :D

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I haven't seen a Marth win it all at a significant tourney since... ever.

I don't think there was one in the top 8 at WCSL :/

We got this :D
Hey, I got 9th. :(

I think if I had gotten passed ShadowRob, I would have definitely gotten past Michael H (NorCal ICs), and then I would have had to fight Larry (Falco), which I think I would have done really well on.

I don't know if I could have handled DSF's MK, though. :dizzy: Give me a month and I might be there.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Care to explain the disadvantage on yoshi's island? and which stage? bit confused on that one... i can see it sorta on the pipes... but on the brawl version it messes with spacing some but i havent had a huge hassle out of an mk there yet.

- edit - oh and on RC you have a dtilt lock infinite on the boat, works well. best chance is to run away til your on the top flat part and then try and dtilt lock the mk on the boat or do grab-releases on the top flat part of RC. imo better chance there than the mansion

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Care to explain the disadvantage on yoshi's island? and which stage? bit confused on that one... i can see it sorta on the pipes... but on the brawl version it messes with spacing some but i havent had a huge hassle out of an mk there yet.
Yoshi's is so terrible for Marth against MK that I can hardly articulate and express my opinion on the subject.

Edit: Unfortunately, Marth's d-tilt is no secret to the MKs here in SoCal. I'd also like to mention that MK has a d-tilt infinite on the boat as well.

So, more or less, the MK in question would have to be really bad/stupid to get himself in a d-tilt lock, in which case I wouldn't worry about having to win game 3 should I somehow lose on Rainbow Cruise game 2.

Edit 2: I was exaggerating Yoshi's Island to an extent, but it's definitely the one neutral you don't want to play on. It's really easy for Marth to get gimped there. Also, if the MK has control of the bottom center of the stage, it can be very difficult to deal with.

∫unk

Smash Master
lol bardull too good

you were telling me after you desynch icy's with f-air you go for popo or nana?

I have no idea how to play against good falcos I got ***** by sk92/sethlon/creepy fingers last weekend :(

BarDulL

Town Vampire
lol bardull too good

you were telling me after you desynch icy's with f-air you go for popo or nana?

I have no idea how to play against good falcos I got ***** by sk92/sethlon/creepy fingers last weekend :(
Once you de-sync the ICs, go super aggressive. The nana will never shield, and while they are desync'd, she is extremely vulnerable. Try to keep PoPo away while hitting nana off the stage. Do what you can to keep them de-sync'd until one of them is dead, then just **** the other one.

As for Falco, if he grabs you, he'll try to do the dthrow-dash attack-usmash. When he hits you with the dash attack, you can smash DI away from it and you will avoid the usmash. When this happens, punish the Falco during his usmash lag.

Also, if possible, try and do the Fthrow-Fthrow spike. If you pull off the fthrow-fthrow spike and successfully kill the Falco, it's GG because if you grab them anywhere on the base of the map again (at 0%), you can fthrow them up to 4 times and then spike because your fthrow is diminished from the first fthrow-fthrow-spike.

If both you and the Falco are at 30%+, it's just a spacing game, and Marth wins (generally).

Always ban Jungle Japes.

Uh...yeah.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
seems we're ready to move onto the next since no one is posting... so snake would be best to discuss next? then king dedede?

can likely make each one quicker snce we discussed match ups so quickly... but yeah i think snake or king dedede next.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yea, looks like it's time to move on. The first few characters will take longer than others.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Snake! I like to really take snake to battlefield, since hes really good jugglebait, so easy to juggle him there and can get some good kills off the top platform with uair. the small stages helps you pressure him more too if you start pressure on him. Have to watch out for C4's set on the platforms though.

Snake is fairly bad on rainbow cruise, but i tend to avoid it since it ALMOST ALWAYS results in mk coming out on the slob... and thats not pretty. but anyway for discussion sake snakes really bad in the air compared to marth, so the cruise is ideal to fight snake on, as always theres a d-tilt lock on the boat... the biggest worry on the whole stage is snake can manage some really early U-tilt kills on the top of the cruise.

Snake isnt especially good at norfair either, with all the aerial dominance that goes on there.

Delfino plaza can really good against snakes too since you have multiple d-tilt locks, the traveling platforms has nice smaller platforms on it and sometimes when the platform takes off again it will result in either a free spike for marth or a nice cypher grab is the snake plays it wrong, i tend to go for spikes if the snake is port 4 but go for cypher grabs if I'm port 4 unless the spike is obivous... Also water spikes are fun if you can space them well enough.

edit - forgot to talk about bans...

Ban lylat, smashville or final D. i hate playing snakes on lylat, and the same goes for smashville since its so hard to keep up with C4 and/or landmines the snake may have planted. stages with lower ceilings like halberd may not be a good idea, corneria is another stage that can prove deadly because of U-tilt plus a small ceiling can make some pretty crazy ko %'s against marth. Basically avoid flat, big stages with small ceilings, since most of your kills (or mine do) come from building damage from juggles and then killing him by either spike or a ko move to the side. OH and one last thing avoid yoshi's island brawl since if snake d-throws you near the ledge he gets a free up-tilt.

Thats what i have to say off the top of my head.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
you need to know what kind of snake you are playing.

There are two kinds:

a) trap snake AKA ultimaterazer. They thrive on platform stages.
b) tilt snake AKA "camp with nades and space with ftilt" kind. They thrive on flat stages.
---both kinds have significantly different counters---

against type A, get rid of battlefield.
against type B, get rid of FD.

type B is the easiest to counterpick: bring em to delfino or BF. Pop them in the air and force them onto a platform. From there, continue to ****.

aaaaaaand now im tired of typing.... you guys figure out how to counter type A.

Myself, i dont really rely on stage gimmicks to win.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
^Against "Type A" pick a moving stage that can throw off his Mines and Nades. Ban Smashville imo, as a C4 on the moving platform can hit you when you are anywhere near it, above or below, so he can put one up there, then just wait until you are near it and set it off. That's worse than BF IMO, since BF is a very good Marth stage to begin with.

But eh, I CP Falco against Snake.

clowsui

Smash Legend
How to get out of the Luigi Mansion's Tornado Trap:

Roll/Tech to the MIDDLE of the house.
Except that doesn't help you, Kel can easily space DTilts or FTilts to counter that.

He can also UThrow to kill at higher percents.

Middle is also DSmash heaven.

EDIT:

Anyways with Snake your best bet is to go Lylat if they haven't banned it, it's an all around bad stage for him, the tilting stage f's up his nades badly and his recovery is kinda bad on there. The only that's really good for him is the fact that every one of his **** projectiles/mines is camo'd by the stage.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Actually, I like Delfino for fighting Snake.

But if you choose Delfino on a Snake player who knows how to use MK really well, your CP could backfire on you horribly. Same with Rainbow Cruise.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Lol, yea MK really does make counterpicking against other characters much more difficult than it should be.

I personally think that Delfino is one of the better options against MK; so cping it against Snake is pretty safe. If you know they won't use MK, you can **** him on BF or RC. On RC watch for extremely early utilt kills on the parts with a low ceiling.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
the only solution i can possibly think of when it comes to the slob character picking nightmare is to just mk ditto them... sad but true.

delfino vs mk can be bad since, when the the stage lifts off mk can hold you down for a bit via harrassment then fly back to safey as you die, not t mention under the stage shenanigans... will this always come back to freaking mk?

Anyway looks like the summary of snake is to CP delfino, battlefield or Rainbow cruise.No one really gave an input on what to ban though... any takers?

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Maybe for each discussion we need two categories: 1) Does not play MK as a secondary and 2) Plays MK as a secondary.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
It's funny, because the bans and CPs for Snake are almost flipped from MK. Against Snake, you really want to avoid FD and Smasvhille, but you are favored at stages like BF and Rainbow Cruise.

My favorite against Snake would be BF, it's extremely difficult for him to get out of a juggle here, and the nades are quite as effective here. Also, I updated the first post to make it look a bit better.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Think its time to move on again :) anyway lets just ignore someone slobing over to mk >.> honestly if it happens we would know i guess.

so snake sucks against marth on battlefeild, delfino, and RC i guess?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Lets talk bans now, I'm thinking FD and SV are the obvious ones, any others?

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
like i said before ban SV and lylat (i ban lylat aginst snakes alot mainly because I suck there plus the stage hides those mines really well.) ban FD against snake too if you want but i find myself winning on that stage more often than not against snake.. .no clue why. on yoshi's if snake d throws you at the ledge he gets a free U-tilt... i'm pretty sure about that atleast.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Allright, moving on to D3. I would say the best cps are BF and Lylat. I'm not really sure of any other effective D3 counter stages....

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I dunno, those short sides on BF can make for early Fair kos and Bair edgeguards. But then again, Marth ***** that stage, and I just woke up.

Top Bottom