• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Where is your thread for link frame data? I need it real quick

EDIT: nvm. I even went to AiB and they said there isnt any. I will do yalls frame data for you. I did Samus's so i know how to do yalls. is there any special move/tactice you need frame data on? All im doing right now is ALL of his moves.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
LOL Xyro, man you better stop showing off your nice side, it's going to ruin your Rep ;)

hi-jacked by samus mainz!

EDIT: why'd you need their frame data anyway? somethign kewl to do with samus!?!? :)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
How is something that was tested using a Frame-By-Frame code be wrong?

How would they know the data is wrong if they don't even have data?
I don't know.

Here's what I do know:
The SWF Link Boards, as a majority, are crap.
The AiB Link Boards, as a majority, are ****.
There's some chat that they AiB Links mentioned in which they explained how it was incorrect.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I have a question.
I (accidentally) picked Link in a WiFi match and I REALLY liked him, maybe going to even main him.
I was doing really good but I had a problem.I couldn't use the boomerang.
I looked in the Link guide here (which was AMAZING) but it really didn't help much. It felt like I could always do a arrow or boomerang and it would have been better. It only really helped me once and that was a COMPLETE accident.
So tl;dr: How do I use the boomering? (And nothing on gimping with it plz, I know how to do that)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
How is something that was tested using a Frame-By-Frame code be wrong?

How would they know the data is wrong if they don't even have data?

I looked at his frame data and it says ABC XYZ hits on frame 5 when its really 6. This is not only wrong but one frame MAKE a big diff when you are trying to see which moves of your may have the frame advantage. This is even more of a big deal because link(like samus) is so horrible.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I looked at his frame data and it says ABC XYZ hits on frame 5 when its really 6. This is not only wrong but one frame MAKE a big diff when you are trying to see which moves of your may have the frame advantage. This is even more of a big deal because link(like samus) is so horrible.
His data can get a bit confusing to read, his data appeared wrong for me while I was doing Snake's In Depth Frame Data this morning.. it turned out he just didn't leave instructions for how to read it.. you sort of had to do your own frame data and put together the pieces.

Also I noticed he was off by 1 frame on quite a few Snake things. :/ So chances are he was for Link as well... I just thought I'd save you a bit of time.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
First off, Thunder of Zeus posts in epic red font.

So tl;dr: How do I use the boomering? (And nothing on gimping with it plz, I know how to do that)
The way I see it is, always have your boomerang out doing something. It can be used for Boomerang-Arrow Locks, where you stand on the ground as the opponent rushes, hit them with the boomerang, and fire an arrow immediately so it catches them when they hit the ground. Depending on how far away they are, you can start jab locking, do a DAC, or do a finishing move.
The boomerang is nice because it can nail opponents slightly above/slightly below you in the air as you approach/retreat from them. By throwing it really high in the air, it also tends to throw the opponent off and they get carried into/past you, which was NOT what they were expecting.
Just Wednesday, I was at a smashfest and caught a D3 in the first hit of fsmash at 160%, boomerang pulled him back into me, and then I nailed him with the second hit.
The boomerang is just versatile. Be aware of where it is at all times, and what it can do for you.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
The boomerang is just versatile. Be aware of where it is at all times, and what it can do for you.
Most important thing....

Especially since catching the boomerang is bad and punishable. Keep your eye on it and override the catch animation with another more useful one. If you do this, everything will fall into place. (for beginners)

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I did something today when I was fighting a friend online, and my boomerang brought my opponent into the bomb and he got shot with my arrow. He got hit with all three at once.

IMO, the most effective way I use my boomerang is I jump and throw the boomerang downward at the opponent. I don't know why, but if I do it that way, it helps me hit them better,. Then I lock them with a quick arrow.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
The Basics of Link the Jab Cancel link is broken.

Also, I think I have discovered something, although it might be universal knowledge.

I have been able to walk while doing my jab. An "advancing jab (combo)" you might call it. It seems it should be somewhere.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
why is Link considered a bad character? (not trolling)
i know his recovery sucks, but he has a solid projectil game and good priority (at least compared to Lucas)
Well, since you know his recovery is bad....I won't list it =)

But basically, while he does have a projectile game, it's really not that great at all. Mainly because once the enemy learns to powershield they can get through and it becomes harder for Link to effectively camp.

While Link does have pretty good priority overall, he has a pretty laggy moveset. This meaning he is pretty slow.

He's also very heavy, while that can be good in terms of DI survival it also has really bad downsides. Downsides such as being VERY easily juggled by many characters and people like Falco and D3 have such an easy time CGing him and then gimping due to his awful recovery.

So overall he can't recover, is pretty slow, and gets juggled/CGed easily.

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
Quick question.... for link's down tilt spike, is there any sort of specific positioning like with pit's or does it just need to be timed.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Quick question.... for link's down tilt spike, is there any sort of specific positioning like with pit's or does it just need to be timed.
The hitbox is something like the hilt of the sword and Link's body IIRC.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
This post was edited. It was blaspheme.
I dunno about blaspheme, but I STILL think the font color you chose is freaking awesome. Such important things bear reminders from time to time.

Perhaps if I bump this thread new people will notice it.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
My mate mains Lucas, and I want to use Link against him. Is there a Match up thread you guys could link me to.

If not, please give tips and things to do and don't against the Lucas MU here. Thank you.

The Basics of Link the Jab Cancel link is broken.

Also, I think I have discovered something, although it might be universal knowledge.

I have been able to walk while doing my jab. An "advancing jab (combo)" you might call it. It seems it should be somewhere.
thats a common problem while jab locking, we havent thought it could be useful though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
My mate mains Lucas, and I want to use Link against him. Is there a Match up thread you guys could link me to.

If not, please give tips and things to do and don't against the Lucas MU here. Thank you.
Well we haven't done a MU on him yet.

Lucas boards haven't done it either.

Well, first off Link out camps Lucas. You can make him approach and then act accordingly. He does have range on his attacks, so I would be cautious of his Dsmash and other moves that are disjointed.

Lucas's Upsmash isn't something to fret over if your grounded, if you know how it hits around him it shouldn't be a concern, just shield and punish.

In the air Lucas has more maneuverability. Link sucks in the air, while Link does have the range on his attacks the fact is Lucas can move in and out more easily is the main problem. You can Zair to stop his aerial approaches if he shorthops them.

Off stage, I think it's Lucas's Bair that can Spike and his Fair has good horizontal knock back. This will be the death of Link if they hit him offstage. As for Link gimping Lucas, assuming he doesn't Zap jump or anything like that, lets say he has to use his UpB you can Galeguard him or Zair the ledge. Lucas has a much easier time gimping Link than vice versa.

Stay grounded and force him to approach is the jist of what you should do.

If you have specific problems who moves or something just let us know.

Mota

^ thanks a lot, that was definitely helpful, been SH aerial too much.
Camp and punish got it :)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
As for Link gimping Lucas, assuming he doesn't Zap jump or anything like that, lets say he has to use his UpB you can Galeguard him or Zair the ledge.
In the case of a zap jump, what would you do?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Both those are pretty good against him IMO.

Yoshi's Island has to be played differently then usual though, so be mindful of that. You can't really spam and camp there, so you have to use more aerials and boomerang. Oh, don't use the platform, you'll find it doesn't help you much.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Yoshi's Island has to be played differently then usual though, so be mindful of that. You can't really spam and camp there, so you have to use more aerials and boomerang. Oh, don't use the platform, you'll find it doesn't help you much.
What he said.

I'm not sure what to do against Zap jump, he flying pretty far high. I'd try to get him offstage without jumps and proceed to go for a gimp, but if he recovers correctly, I don't think Link can gimp him.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Unless you're dropping a bomb on it; that can be really helpful in manipulating and baiting your opponent; not to mention the mindgame.

Mota

Thanks for all the advice guys, I beat the Lucas relatively easily on BF, overestimated him. :)

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Why is link in the F tier he should atleast be in the d tier not the second to the last.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Does anyone know damage range for combos or semi-combos out of boost tossing a bomb?

I'm looking into boost toss Z spamming towards an opponent to pivot and turn my back as I toss the bomb and slide so I can immediately use the explosion of the bomb into a SHBair, or a SHDair depending on if the damage range allows me to be able to use a viable combo to kill or just to damage below a certain percent.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well, I'd assume you could get around 5%-35% damage off of one well-done bombslide/DACIT. Even if they shield the bomb, you can just SH and continue to pressure the opponent.

I assume that's what you mean by a boost toss? Because Link doesn't have a glide toss that I'm aware of.

Shoes Magoo

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to duplicate what Legan does here at 0:33 with no success. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOkh3FqrfeQ

It appears to be a drop from ledge grab followed by an immediate jump ending with both attacks of an F air. The first attack is no problem to pull off, but it doesn't seem possible for me to get enough height to unleash the second hit of the f air. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom