• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
Hey what link moves are the highest priority? Just curious because i like using link, although I have been made fun of recently for not using a top tier character, I belive in my abilities with link and just want to excel to the next level.. please help...

Jordun

Smash Rookie
Is there any easier way to Ledgehop Bomb Apart from B-Sticking?
or is it just have fast fingers?
I'm struggling with it >.>
I can get it sometimes though.

hat!

Smash Apprentice
Hey what link moves are the highest priority? Just curious because i like using link, although I have been made fun of recently for not using a top tier character, I belive in my abilities with link and just want to excel to the next level.. please help...
Don't let people make fun of you for using Link!! He's the bomb lol.
and I know his Dair is pretty high priority.

My question: how do I incorporate QDC into my game?

Smash Apprentice
By that do you mean it only covers arrow vs. arrow cancelling, as in Link dittos?

oh and I thought of another thing I'm too lazy to look up: how long does it take link to let down his shield while standing still?
2 frames iirc.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895

just to clarify, only the sword itself has high priority. if you hit links body he'll eat **** and die.
Samus has to U air him anywere but the sword and she will win that little battle.

it's also not worth the trouble of missing, unless all fo your options are oing to let you fail don't use this move. however you link mains should try to find a combo into it, such as jab jab then a quick D air
that's just an example I don't expect it to work.

my 2 centss

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer

Tell me what the QDC is and I might be able to help! I haven't exactly been looking at the ATs lately and haven't played in a long time. Quick Draw Cancel?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
EDIT: Also, it takes more than 2 frames to drop the shield. It's 7 frames for every character that's not Yoshi, I think.
2 frames is how long it takes to shield.

1. There was a thread like that, but it only covers arrows
There was a general thread that found a categorization for every projectile and gave the laws describing their interaction.

Turns out there's a basic syntax of projectiles and it just mostly depends on type, except for charged projectiles which can plow through weaker projectiles of the same type.

What I don't get is why it's so FREAKING HARD to search for anything on these forums...

EDIT: Ah here we are: From The Physics of Attacks:

Projectile Priority
First, to define a projectile: A projectile attack is any attack that user does not undergo hiltag when the attack connects, but the possessor of the hurtbox being hit does (some projectiles will also undergo hitlag).

[snip]

^Thanks to Simna ibn Sind
We owe this information to Simna Ibn Sind, for this is a quote from him (although, apparently, the post exists in a restricted area).

My comments in plum:

-Non-projectiles(Cannot be reflected/no interaction with reflecting hitboxes): Oil Panic, Reflector(Falco), PK Shove, Din's Fire(Ball), Olimar's Smashes, Olimar's Grab, PK Flash(Charge), Waddle Dee Throw, Waddle Doo Throw(Toss), Opponent Throw, Lucas' upsmash

(The only one of these that ought to surprise you is the Waddle Dee toss, but I suppose they had to be consistent with Pikmanz.)

-Standard(Projectile is a standard attacking hitbox/does not interact with Laser): Everything not listed below(WORK IN PROGRESS!)

-Living(Projectile contains both attacking and target hitboxes/Breaks Laser): Bomb(Link/TLink), Ice Shot, Wario Bike, Gyro, Pikmin Throw(all colors), Grenade, Nikita Missile,

-Laser(Projectile passes through attacking hitboxes, hits target hitboxes/Halts Living): Blaster(Fox), Blaster(Falco), Needle Storm, Banana Peel, PK Fire(Bolt), Blizzard, Bullet Seed

-Super(Projectile passes through attacking hitboxes, hits and passes through target hitboxes/Has Laser properties but isnt destroyed by Living): Robo Beam, PK Fire(Pillar), PK Thunder(Tail/Both), PK Flash(Explosion), Thunder

-Area(Projectile clashes with attacking hitboxes, hits and passes through target hitboxes/does not interact with Laser): Fire Breath(Both), Din's Fire(Explosion), PK Thunder(Lucas/Head), Inhale(both), Force Palm(nongrab)

-Ghost(Projectile has no interaction with attacking or target hitboxes): Bomb(Samus)

-Frail(Projectile is broken by all projectile types except Ghost and only breaks other Frail projectiles): Peanut Popgun

Link's arrow is an attacking hitbox that's not "living".
If you hit a living projectile, the arrow will be consumed in the act of hitting it.
If you get an area projectile, they'll stop each other.
If you hit a peanut, you'll go through, if I read this right.
And everything else listed here, the two of it and arrow will pass through each other.

odd that this research wasn't continued.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
There was a general thread that found a categorization for every projectile and gave the laws describing their interaction.

Turns out there's a basic syntax of projectiles and it just depends on type, except for charged projectiles which can plow through weaker projectiles of the same type.

What I don't get is why it's so FREAKING HARD to search for anything on these forums...
Cool about the projectiles thing.

I sense Sarcasm :laugh:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Cool about the projectiles thing.

I sense Sarcasm :laugh:
No... there's... no sarcasm....

I came upon the thread by chance. I had no way to know it contained the info I wanted. When I did the search the number of results was huge, and I don't know how they're sorted. I clicked this and it worked.

So improbable.

Anyway, did I read that right? Cherry you said you shouldn't try dair?
I think that's what's wrong with Link right now. How could dair not be worth it? It kills shields, and if it hits one, you're safe.

If the enemy stops blocking aerials, then... well.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Is this known?

Boomerang> jab lock> Spin attack (not a footstool but close enough)
I was able to do 103% with this.

This works at every percent and all you need is a set up for the rang and Link will have an almost 0 - death.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Yup, it's known. It IS really good, though, especially if you can jab lock your opponent all the way down the stage.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I need help on how to perfrom Links UpSmash where he slides a fair distance.
I always barely move anywhere when I attempt it.

EDIT: Also what is the best way for Link to perorm his Jab cancel.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Here's a crucial question for building a Link strategy: each character tends to have more options KO'ing vertically or horizontally; what is Link's stronger point? Dtilt, Dsmash, dair (esp. fast-fallen), uair , and Usmash are the general attacks that can KO vertically whilst fair (2nd slash is better), ftilt, Fsmash, grounded Spin Attack KO horizontally. Now, though there are more vertical KO moves, it seems to me like Link has trouble KO'ing vertically; are his horizontal options better? More importantly, which is easier to perform?

...Yeah, I know--long question; sorry!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Here's a crucial question for building a Link strategy: each character tends to have more options KO'ing vertically or horizontally; what is Link's stronger point? Dtilt, Dsmash, dair (esp. fast-fallen), uair , and Usmash are the general attacks that can KO vertically whilst fair (2nd slash is better), ftilt, Fsmash, grounded Spin Attack KO horizontally. Now, though there are more vertical KO moves, it seems to me like Link has trouble KO'ing vertically; are his horizontal options better? More importantly, which is easier to perform?

...Yeah, I know--long question; sorry!
I find it easier to kill vertical with Link with moves like Dsmash, Dair and sometimes Uair.. But other moves like Dtilt and Usmash require the opponent to be at a higher percentage.

So in answer to you question I think Link horizontal options are better because not only are those moves strong killers, but it puts the opponent in a vulnerable spot where Link can gimp opponents with Arrows, Gale Gaurding and all that edgeguardingness (Fair, Dair etc)...:chuckle:

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I find it easier to kill vertical with Link with moves like Dsmash, Dair and sometimes Uair.. But other moves like Dtilt and Usmash require the opponent to be at a higher percentage.

So in answer to you question I think Link horizontal options are better because not only are those moves strong killers, but it puts the opponent in a vulnerable spot where Link can gimp opponents with Arrows, Gale Gaurding and all that edgeguardingness (Fair, Dair etc)...:chuckle:
K thx much!

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
I need help on how to perfrom Links UpSmash where he slides a fair distance.
I always barely move anywhere when I attempt it.

EDIT: Also what is the best way for Link to perorm his Jab cancel.
That's called wave-smashing I believe. To do it, you need to run, tap C-Down, then IMMEDIATELY after you tap down on the C-Stick, press Z-Up, and Link will slide far while preforming his triple up slash.

It takes a good deal of practice to master. I've been doing it for a very long time, and I still can't pull it off flawlessly, but I'm getting better at it. There are times were I **** it up and Link brandishes his hookshot, leaving him vulnerable to punishment.

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
Link's DACUS is the 2nd easiest to do of all DACUSes. It isn't hard.
Snake's is number one, right? His is so easy. And I never said it was hard. I just said it takes practice. I mess up while trying to preform it; Link shoots out his Hookshot, leaving me super vulnerable. But most of the time I can use Link's DAC with no problem.

Anyone have any tips for me to always do it flawlessly?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Smashking, that MC is ridiculously situational. But every little trick Link has adds up.

The way to flawlessly do the DAC (Dash Attack Cancel) is to set your L or R button (whichever one you DON'T use for shield) to Attack.
It has a two-fold bonus: it is way easier to actually execute the technique, and if you whiff, then all you do is a dash attack instead of a grab. Its the way to go.

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
Smashking, that MC is ridiculously situational. But every little trick Link has adds up.

The way to flawlessly do the DAC (Dash Attack Cancel) is to set your L or R button (whichever one you DON'T use for shield) to Attack.
It has a two-fold bonus: it is way easier to actually execute the technique, and if you whiff, then all you do is a dash attack instead of a grab. Its the way to go.
Awesome, thanks! I'll have to try that. But don't I still have to press Z-Up? And that's the grab button.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Sorry I didn't make this clear. So firstly, I ought to just add that you can only do the DAC with two controller schemes: the Gamecube controller (which is the one I was referring to previously) and the Wii+Chuck configuration. For the Wiichuck, you have to turn on the Shake Smash option.
Now, on with my explanation for the GCN controller.
You've noticed, I assume, how in certain situations the grab buttons and the attack buttons seem to overlap in function? (Meaning sometimes you will press Z and get an attack, and when you press A while in a shield you will grab)
Technically, the DAC can be performed by dashing, pressing the C-stick down, and pressing up on A or Z. But no one really has the reaction time or movement speed to hit the A button rather than the Z button, although technically doing a dash attack would be more effective than a grab if you messed the DAC up.

By switching L or R to attack, you dash, press down on the C-Stick, and then Up+R/L. Its automatically easier to hit the shoulder buttons on time rather than the Z button, when you do whiff (which is far rarer) you use a dash attack instead of a useless, laggy grab, and you've used a previously useless button to do it.
As a side note, this also makes bombsmashing way easier as well. You can still shield with the other shoulder button, as well as jump with the X and Y buttons and use the B button normally while you hold L/R.

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I didn't make this clear. So firstly, I ought to just add that you can only do the DAC with two controller schemes: the Gamecube controller (which is the one I was referring to previously) and the Wii+Chuck configuration. For the Wiichuck, you have to turn on the Shake Smash option.
Now, on with my explanation for the GCN controller.
You've noticed, I assume, how in certain situations the grab buttons and the attack buttons seem to overlap in function? (Meaning sometimes you will press Z and get an attack, and when you press A while in a shield you will grab)
Technically, the DAC can be performed by dashing, pressing the C-stick down, and pressing up on A or Z. But no one really has the reaction time or movement speed to hit the A button rather than the Z button, although technically doing a dash attack would be more effective than a grab if you messed the DAC up.

By switching L or R to attack, you dash, press down on the C-Stick, and then Up+R/L. Its automatically easier to hit the shoulder buttons on time rather than the Z button, when you do whiff (which is far rarer) you use a dash attack instead of a useless, laggy grab, and you've used a previously useless button to do it.
As a side note, this also makes bombsmashing way easier as well. You can still shield with the other shoulder button, as well as jump with the X and Y buttons and use the B button normally while you hold L/R.
K thanks. I'll have to try it out.

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
How do you spike with links dtilt.... im not sure how to positioning of myself and the spike-ee needs to be

BStans

Smash Rookie
I'm looking at options for climbing back up from the ledge. I was watching Izaw's "Enter the Triforce" video and i saw him use Link's fair up from the ledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6zmKC-cr5c (For the sake of clarity, I LINKed the unedited version of the video.) The first use happens at 1:46.

I tried just hitting away from the stage and jumping back towards it while holding the control stick diagonally up and toward the stage (trying to DI a bit) But i can only seem to get the first swing, whereas Izaw gets both. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or am I just doing it too slow.

As a side note, are there any other good ledge options for Link I might want to know about?

Validbadbadman

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble understanding what I'm looking for when trying to perform a jab cancel. When I jab and press down it doesn't seem to work as I go into another jab sometimes. I try to time pressing down after a jab but it ends up being the same speed as if I just waited after jabbing till I can use a smash again.

Help appreciated.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Jabs have a certain amount of ending lag. Chances are you are hitting A, then pressing down, and then letting go of the control stick too soon (before the jab has "ended"). Just make sure that you know when the jab actually ends and when Link begins to duck, and make sure to hold down up to that point from now on.

T

Teancum

Why do I see Link players use the clawshot offensively so often in videos?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6zmKC-cr5c (For the sake of clarity, I LINKed the unedited version of the video.) The first use happens at 1:46.
I c wut u did thar

Why do I see Link players use the clawshot offensively so often in videos?
I'm not sure whether you're referring to Zair or the grab, but if it's zair...

Zair is a very safe, decent damage, amazing combo setting attack. You can SHFF the zair and your opponent will have trouble getting into the hurtbox of yours.
In other words: It's an extremely safe approach with fringe benefits.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Other people need you!

DarkWarCloud has opened up the Training Grounds. What this is is a place for new players to learn who plays what characters all in a simple thread so that they can contact said person to "teach" them the basics. As of right now, we only have a handful of "teachers" for a few characters and we need more! This is where you come in. Anyone who is skilled with your characters (any character) and has the free time to teach someone how to either: Teach the basics of the game in general and/or teach specific character(s), go in the thread and either post or PM DarkWarCloud with your information (Format is in the thread) where you may possibly be contacted by someone who wants to learn. The future of smash lies in your hands.

On the other hand, if you wish to learn, go to the thread also!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241698

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Sad to say it, but your best bet would be asking an AiB guy. Not many of us here are good enough to be a teacher yet, except Ano, but he's a AIB'r anyway, and I really don't know what the situation with him is. Last I knew he was on a hiatus or something of the sort.

It's a cool project though...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That's fine. I just want everyone to at least know about this for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom