• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
You just have to be quick with that, all you really need to do is practice. If you try doing it at like 1/2 speed in training that may help, you may even need it to be like 1/4 to get started. From there just work your way until you can do it at normal speed.

You also might want to try hitting back instead of down to get off the ledge if you're not doing that already, it's a TON easier IMO. And don't FF. :p

Shoes Magoo

Smash Rookie
Ah, there it is. The jump and the first A need to be in very rapid succession. Thank you, NAKEDeDeDe and thank you, 1/4 speed training mode. :)

Iliad

Smash Lord
Well, I'd assume you could get around 5%-35% damage off of one well-done bombslide/DACIT. Even if they shield the bomb, you can just SH and continue to pressure the opponent.

I assume that's what you mean by a boost toss? Because Link doesn't have a glide toss that I'm aware of.
What I meant was... lets say Marth for example (The best I can think of seeing as how he's my main.) can downgrab into tipper from 0%-about 5/6% on most opponents. But beyond that percent unless the char is mad heavy, they'll drift out of tip range.

I wanted to know if anyone knows the damage cap that a DACBoost Throw bomb will allow me to combo into something like Bair, Fair, Dair, or even Uair.

5%-35% is pretty sexy though. I like that damage amount.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
The combo effectively would start about 5% and end about 40-50% I would think, due to the bomb's low knockback and hitstun.

You would probably be hitting with only 1 hit of bair/fair at either end of the spectrum however. The middle ranges are arguably the most effective .

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hey some respond me i have a question with Link how to do this 1:42 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnxF88npB0&feature=channel

AA-CROUCH-AA-CROUCH or what sorry for my english or some respond me in spanish or englishh .... crouch is down with the control stick??
Yes. You Jab twice, crouch, stand, jab twice. The idea is to cancel the third jab with a crouch, so that it will combo for better damage.

Sorry if the Spanish translation is rough; I used an online translator.

Sí. Usted Pincha dos veces, Agacha, el soporte, piquete dos veces. La idea es de cancelar el tercer piquete con un Agacha, para que haga conjunto para mejor daño.

Arrepentido si la traducción española es áspera; utilicé a un traductor en línea.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
He is crouching, but the jab cancels the crouch animation. If you watch very carefully you see link start to move downwards before beginning his jabs again.

El Agacha, pero el piquete cancela el Agacha animación. Si usted mira muy con cuidado usted ve lazo comienzo para mover hacia abajo antes de empezar sus piquetes otra vez.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Is Link hopeless or do you guys just suck? Also, what tier do you think he can make it to.

EDIT: this is actually not supposed to be a flame post. It just looks like one.

ndayday

BRoomer
Is Link hopeless or do you guys just suck? Also, what tier do you think he can make it to.
He just sucks, nearly everyone will tell you that.

There's a 99.9% chance he will stay in the current tier IMO.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
That's what infractions are for, I guess. SWF's version of natural selection.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Does Link's Boomerang priority change while it's thrown?

I've been trying to test Lucario's Aura Sphere, no boosting, vs Link Boomerang.

I went to FD, Boomerang was eaten up at 0%.
I went to Defino, they canceled each other out.

It's really weird, it's like the Boomerang is stage depended against Lucario or something.

ndayday

BRoomer
It might have to do something with the angle it's being thrown at, although that's doubtfull.

If not that, then all I can offer is the fact that it has two parts, the throwing part where it can hurt the opponent, and the part where it goes back and can bring in the opponent. Knowing that, we can apply the rules of priority...meh.

Ankoku said:
If the difference is greater than 10%, the weaker attack will clash cancel while the stronger attack will continue on.
If the difference is less than 10%, both attacks will clash cancel.
If two attacks collide but no collision boxes (or hurtboxes) are touched, both attacks will clash cancel.

Special attacks (B moves) can clash with special attacks, aerials, and ground attacks.
Ground attacks can clash with special attacks and ground attacks.
Aerials can only clash with special attacks.
Also;

Non-interactive hitboxes - Will never clash and only interacts with collision boxes. Examples: Lasers, PK Thunder, Sheik's needles, Meta Knight's aerials

Aerial special clashes - Clashes that happen with one or more characters in the air will not cancel the attack of the character(s) in the air. The hitboxes in particular that clashed are negated as far as interaction between the two characters, though. Examples: Mach Tornado

Special-class hitboxes - Certain normal attacks have the same clashing properties as special attacks. Examples: Olimar usmash, Meta Knight dash attack
Maybe you can deduce something out of that. I'm too lazy and tired right now. :laugh:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Link's boomerang does more damage and has more priority up close then far away. It also does different amounts of damage and has differing amounts of priority depending on whether he soft-threw or hard-threw.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Q: How do you make both of Link's F-air swings come out, when he was on the ledge and drops and double jumps to get back onto the stage, before hitting the ground?

I have seen this happen numerous times by the more experienced Link players, yet every time I try it only the first swing comes out before Links hits the ground.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Its an extremely difficult maneuver because there's only a few frames of difference between hitting with one strike or both. Its all about practice and learning how to buffer quickly enough to pull it off.

Frankly, the easiest way I can think of to practice getting this right is to use Wolf and practice retreating Short Hop Autocancelled Fairs. Its safer, quicker, and less frustrating then whiffing the ledge and having to regrab or falling to your death. If you don't do it frame perfect, the fair won't autocancel and you'll have ending lag. If you do it right, you'll move backwards while doing fair and land with no ending lag. It has to be virtually frame-perfect as well to do this correctly.
So, its the same principle with the same buttons and movements, but safer and quicker to practice with.

Considering I'm a Wolf and a Link main, this is very useful for me, might not be quite as useful to you though. :p

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for Ano.

What the hell, man. What the HELL.

You SUCK at quitting things. SERIOUSLY.

"lol i brokd my brawl disk but nao itz unbroked."

*Grumbles while scribbling your name onto the Link Boards Tier List and off the Link Memorial*

trolito_chiquito

Smash Rookie
hey guys please help somebody tell me i play with some diddy kong and diddy kong only grab down grab .. and throw bananas and chaingrabs like king dedede there nothing to do .. some tipssss and sorry for my english hehe :)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
hey guys please help somebody tell me i play with some diddy kong and diddy kong only grab down grab .. and throw bananas and chaingrabs like king dedede there nothing to do .. some tipssss and sorry for my english hehe :)
Practice with your glide-tossing and mind-games with bananas. Try mix-ups out of the chaingrabs such as F-Smash, F-Tilt, D-Smash, etc...
Diddy has a great juggling game, so work on keeping your opponent in the air and, of course, including banana dropping (With Z) in your aerial game. Learn to use your peanut gun and bananas together to stop and punish approaches. If you want to get in close, either glide toss or use Side+B+B; both of these will be relatively safe, as a banana will guard you when you glids toss and Side+B+B has great priority.

Another fun thing with Diddy is his game off-stage. Diddy has three spikes (Dair, Side+B and Up+B); using these can add a lot of variety to your game. Learn to mix up your recovery with Side+B and Up+B.

La práctica con su desliza-tirando y estratagemas con plátanos. Pruebe líos del chaingrabs como F-CHOQUE, la F-INCLINACION, el D-CHOQUE, etc..
Diddy tiene un gran juego del malabarismo, así que el trabajo a mantener a su adversario en el aire y, por supuesto, inclusive dejar caer de plátano (Con Z) en su juego aéreo. Aprenda a utilizar su fusil de cacahuate y plátanos para parar juntos y para castigar enfoques. Si usted quiere entrar fin, o deslizarse Lado de tiro o uso + B + B; de éstos serán relativamente seguro, como un plátano le protegerá cuando usted tiro de glids y Lado + B + B tiene gran prioridad.

Otra cosa divertida con Diddy es su juego entre bastidores. Diddy tiene tres puntas (Dair, el Lado + B y Up+B); utilizando éstos pueden agregar mucha variedad a su juego. Aprenda a mezclar su recuperación con Lado + B y Arriba + B.

¡Espero este ayudado!

I hope this helped!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Sorry WaffZ xD

My bro is home after his Mormon mission, so he wanted to buy Brawl so he could play it. ...So, we bought Brawl again xD

Stop yo grumblin'.

Also, this is more of a General Discussion Thread topic, so redirect it there. ;)

galekill

Banned via Administration
HERE'S A SRS KWESTCHUN:

If I have 4 points, and a mod gives me 116, how many points do I have? :|

trolito_chiquito

Smash Rookie
hey men i use link the tips are from defeat diddy and king dedede with link because king dedede and diidy use chaingrabs and there nothing to do with my link hehe

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
What is Link's best option when someone breaks out of your grab?
Aerial or ground release?

Aerial:

I would say DACUS. You could also use this as an opportunity to bomb-pull. I don't aerial release, so I don't know.

Ground:
I would say D-Smash. You could mix it up with F-Smash. Jab is an option. Up+B works as well. If you think they are going to shield: grab. If you think they are going to attack (like DK's jab), shield and grab or punish.
After using the ground release multiple times in a match, you can read your opponent and act accordingly.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
Actually there's not a lot of beneficial options you could do, even so unless you're doing it on purpose your oppenent shouldn't be able to break out of your grab. Anyways I suggest a good range attack like Dsmash to aviod shield grabs or you could just retreat if you do not want to go for it. Oh and on the mother boys grab releases works good since they're slower getting out than anyone else.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I have to agree with Grey Clover. Link doesn't have any good options for dealing with people out of grab releases. Link's fastest options are dsmash and jab, and both can be full-on shielded and grabbed. Link's other option is to try and grab the opponent. Otherwise, its all about the mindgames.
Against characters like DK, D3, and Bowser, don't go for grab releases. They will beat you every time. If you grab them, throw them immediately.

Against Ness and Lucas, dsmash and jab will hit before they can shield or attack back.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wario actually has a few options Link can do on him from a grab release, who doesn't?

MK you could DACUS.

Of course this is assuming we grab them.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You're assuming an air release? Most opponents *could* be DACUSed, but it would be more mindgames then a frame advantage.

Against Wario in an air release you can just SH dair, although I'm not sure how to force an air release

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
You're assuming an air release? Most opponents *could* be DACUSed, but it would be more mindgames then a frame advantage.

Against Wario in an air release you can just SH dair, although I'm not sure how to force an air release
At lower percents pummel once. Around fifty-sixty percent, pummel two or three times. Above 100 you can pummel about five times.

The key is the time between the pummel and the release. If you pummel too much, they ground break. If you pummel too little, they ground release.

Being a Marth main I've learned to force the aerial release quite well.

Smash Apprentice
At lower percents pummel once. Around fifty-sixty percent, pummel two or three times. Above 100 you can pummel about five times.

The key is the time between the pummel and the release. If you pummel too much, they ground break. If you pummel too little, they ground release.

Being a Marth main I've learned to force the aerial release quite well.
marth's grab has a guaranteed air release, link's grab does not (this game is so fair)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Oh right.

Ground release Link can't really do anything against most character.

Air release is what I was meant but wasn't clear because I suck at typing, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom