• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
You just have to be quick with that, all you really need to do is practice. If you try doing it at like 1/2 speed in training that may help, you may even need it to be like 1/4 to get started. From there just work your way until you can do it at normal speed.

You also might want to try hitting back instead of down to get off the ledge if you're not doing that already, it's a TON easier IMO. And don't FF. :p
Yeah, I just quoted myself for an answer.
And more input from the guy that asked the question first:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8456729&postcount=162

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I find it easier to press the X button for Jump and A button at the same time when doing a ledge hopped F-air.

In fact pressing X button at the same time as something helps with things such as:
-Landing on stage with an Nair
-While your on the ledge you can pull out a bomb and re grab the ledge in a single hop.

McLevelin

Smash Rookie
I find it easier to press the X button for Jump and A button at the same time when doing a ledge hopped F-air.

In fact pressing X button at the same time as something helps with things such as:
-While your on the ledge you can pull out a bomb and re grab the ledge in a single hop.
Hmm. I haven't tried that yet. My timing is just a hair off, because I can see Link try and go for the second slash, but he just can't do it.

I just hope i can remember all of this when the tournament comes along...:dizzy:

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hmm. I haven't tried that yet. My timing is just a hair off, because I can see Link try and go for the second slash, but he just can't do it.

I just hope i can remember all of this when the tournament comes along...:dizzy:
Practice, practice, practice. Hit up training mode and do this stuff over and over. Do all of the bomb-slides ten times in a row. Do the LD>DJ>F-Air twenty times in a row. DACUS twenty times in a row. Practice jab-cancelling. All of this is key to get under your fingers.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah training is really good. Take time to work on Link's AT`s.

Lately I`ve been training on the longest custom stage, trying to get the jab lock to going as long as possible to the other side.

Other things I practise are bomb footstool jab lock, bomb foot stool D-air, boost walking

-Bomb sliding, especially the reverse bomb slide and the up throw bomb slide.

The up throw bomb slide is one of my faves because its like a glide toss where you get a boost and your aloud to do any move after it and because the bomb is thrown up, you don`t have to worry about the bomb exploding your opponent and hurting you.

It`s helped me getting more consistent with pulling these crazy techs off in real battles.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Yeah training is really good. Take time to work on Link's AT`s.

Lately I`ve been training on the longest custom stage, trying to get the jab lock to going as long as possible to the other side.

Other things I practise are bomb footstool jab lock, bomb foot stool D-air, boost walking

-Bomb sliding, especially the reverse bomb slide and the up throw bomb slide.

The up throw bomb slide is one of my faves because its like a glide toss where you get a boost and your aloud to do any move after it and because the bomb is thrown up, you don`t have to worry about the bomb exploding your opponent and hurting you.
All of this.

Don't try to rush yourself, though. Trying to do things that you haven't had time to master in a tournament match results in disaster. Play the game that you know and save the new stuff for your practice time.

McLevelin

Smash Rookie
Do the LD>DJ>F-Air twenty times in a row.
What is this?

-While your on the ledge you can pull out a bomb and re grab the ledge in a single hop
Works like a charm. ;)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah it`s best to get these techs out of your head by playing many friendlies and learning how you can incorporate these techniques. A big mistake I sometimes do is trying to look flashy by showing off all these techs in serious matches.

McLevelin

Smash Rookie
Ledge Drop>Double Jump>Forward-Air.

ATs make for good mindgames, mixups and can benefit spacing and combos, as well. Imperfect ATs make for failed mindgames, easy punishment and can benefit your opponent's spacing and combos as well.
So it's basically the ledgehop Fair?

Smash Apprentice
Try the ledgehop zair.
Ledgehop fair is cake in comparison.

PS It's generally called second jump, not double jump, but w/e.

That's exactly what it is; I just listed every input.

Here's a question: Are there any true-combos from buffer abuse that Link has to take advantage of?
Zair and bombs have lots of true combos. Most everything else is a false combo (excluding fsmash fsmash, jab jab jab, etc).

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I have some true combos but it's pretty situational. :embarrass

At low percentages and if the opponent is close to you, you can sheild bomb and then do an Up-B, it should push the opponent far enough where they can't punish you. If the opponent is behind you, you can sheild bomb and do a back air. :)

I gotta give ledge hopped Zair a try. :dizzy:

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Ledge drop Z-Air? I'll try it out.

I got a legit kill on an Ike during FFAs yesterday. I got him off of the edge, speed hugged, LD>Z-Air regrab to avoid the third person's D-Tilt, then LD>Z-Air regrab to edgehog the second person's Aether. Felt pretty good over Wi-Fi.

pulse131

Smash Ace
ALMOST useless.
ive used it once or twice effectively but ya even on characters with bad recoveries does it sumtimes werk.

i also use fair about 75% of time off the edge when an enemy is close. if i wanna mix it up ill jump off, grab a bomb, catch the edge, let go again, throw the bomb up and catch the edge with up b really quick. if the bomb dosnt hit em ill ledge hop fair and catch the bomb with the attack, then bombslide into watever i want.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
@ KoRoBeNiki. You should post your stuff at AIB there are more Links there.
(I'll probably port this post over there myself tomorrow)

Question for everybody.

You know, everybody puts link down because there like "LOLZ Link? His recovery sucks he is low tier garbage" Now I agree that Link is Low tier garbage but some stupid people think recovery is the only reason. Its a combination of lag and lack of safe moves.

In fact, as a Link player who has been playing him hard and has done very well with him, I need to say that I don't get gimped much. I've actually gotten complements to where people say "wow your offstage game is somewhat impressive considering your Link"

With proper DI and throwing projectiles out to get back on stage, I've managed to stay away from gimps for the most part. Its not that I'm saying Links don't get gimped. What I'm saying is good Links don't get gimped as often as people think. There able to DI and innovate when put in an unfriendly position due to the sheer amount of practice of being in that position.

To confirm this though I need to ask the good Link players, how often do you get gimped?

ndayday

BRoomer
To confirm this though I need to ask the good Link players, how often do you get gimped?
Really, ( I admittedly am not what you'd call a gewd player) get gimped like maybe 1/3 of the time. I'm a scrub.

But yeah, recovery is definitely not his only problem, and good DI/innovation (think Norfair and whiplashing) helps him. More of an emphasis on learning to DI should be put on people learning Link, IMO.

By all means though, you'll get a better response over at AiB.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
What you say is true Swordplay. I find that alot of people I play overestimate how easy it is to gimp Link.

I think the most trouble for Link is moves like Zelda's Downsmash, where it sends you at a low angle and out into the open offstage area and only DI-ing can help you so far.

I don't get gimped that often but when I do get gimped it's usually from offstage things like MK's Down-air, and Fox's shine when I do my Zedgeing. :(

Rizen

Smash Legend
Question for everybody.

You know, everybody puts link down because there like "LOLZ Link? His recovery sucks he is low tier garbage" Now I agree that Link is Low tier garbage but some stupid people think recovery is the only reason. Its a combination of lag and lack of safe moves.

It depends on the match. VS MK, a lot. But I usually survive well over 130% before getting stage guarded. Link's big problem is he is so easily combo-ed.

To all Link mains, check out my new guide:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258121

(It pays to advertise)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
It depends on the match. VS MK, a lot. But I usually survive well over 130% before getting stage guarded. Link's big problem is he is so easily combo-ed.

To all Link mains, check out my new guide:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258121

(It pays to advertise)
How you make it to 130%, I don't know.

All I can say for Link as far as getting gimped and staying alive in general:
Keep a bomb in your hand. This keeps you from Chaingrabs, gimps, and high percentage deaths. Past 100%, the bomb gives decent vertical distance and restores your Up+B. It can stop momentum and restore Up+B when you're being gimped. It hits you out of chaingrabs. If you've been holding the bomb for too long, you can always throw it at your opponent. It's not hard to find time and space to whip out your bombs when you consider spacing tools like N-Air, Z-Air, and Link's projectile game.

guardia00

Smash Rookie
ok, hey all! kinda new here, but been following the forums for a little while. thought i'd ask a couple questions with problems i've been having with link =(

my first question is actually about the DAC. it was the first AT i picked up with link, but i think i do it a little differently from what i've been seeing on the boards. i keep hearing C-down + upZ to do it, but i've been been using it with upA instead... it still works, and it kinda works better for me, but i've been told before that i hold the controller odd. but has anyone noticed this? is there any different with upA or upZ?

hahaha i feel like a newb, but my other question is still about the DAC, it only came up because i was practicing the bombsliding. but i kept bombing myself by throwing the bomb down cuz of trying to do C-down. so i wanted to ask if its possible if the DAC and bombsliding (all directions) is possible if u do forward C-stick instead of down?

don't got my wii to practice it

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well if doing DAC that way works for you then yeah it's cool. In fact, even though I normally DAC with Up-Z with most characters, with Sheik I do Up-A.

I'm not sure if doing the Up-A method gives much of a difference with bombsliding. It depends, do you have tap jump turned on? If so, it's harder/impossible to the bombsliding AT's. Here's a nice tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdQY5SOqEE

guardia00

Smash Rookie
haha yea actually, i turned it off because i saw that video. still keep bombing myself =P

oohhh i forgot, the whole bombing myself led me to question if it was just easier to do a jump cancel to throw a bomb backwards. i dunno if u get the full slide affect (for forward throw and backwards). whats ur thought?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You don't really get a slide, but it's alot easier to do.

Although it takes a while to learn and master, bombsliding will be a huge input to your game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
How you make it to 130%, I don't know.
Bair momentum canceling +DI. Throwing bombs up makes recovery quicker than if i held bombs.

ok, hey all! kinda new here, but been following the forums for a little while. thought i'd ask a couple questions with problems i've been having with link =(

my first question is actually about the DAC. it was the first AT i picked up with link, but i think i do it a little differently from what i've been seeing on the boards. i keep hearing C-down + upZ to do it, but i've been been using it with upA instead... it still works, and it kinda works better for me, but i've been told before that i hold the controller odd. but has anyone noticed this? is there any different with upA or upZ?

hahaha i feel like a newb, but my other question is still about the DAC, it only came up because i was practicing the bombsliding. but i kept bombing myself by throwing the bomb down cuz of trying to do C-down. so i wanted to ask if its possible if the DAC and bombsliding (all directions) is possible if u do forward C-stick instead of down?

don't got my wii to practice it
My controller's set for 'R' as attack so I can downB (ready a bomb) and hold 'R' during the animation. Then I can Fsmash with the 'C' stick using my thumb and holding 'R' with my pointer finger. I DACUS with 'R' too. Any attack button will do.

Keep in mind that there's tons of talk about ATs but most of them play a minimal part in actual matches.

I'm trying to get people to read my guide (linked on post 262). Check it out even if you know Link.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Bair momentum canceling +DI. Throwing bombs up makes recovery quicker than if i held bombs.

My controller's set for 'R' as attack so I can downB (ready a bomb) and hold 'R' during the animation. Then I can Fsmash with the 'C' stick using my thumb and holding 'R' with my pointer finger. I DACUS with 'R' too. Any attack button will do.

Keep in mind that there's tons of talk about ATs but most of them play a minimal part in actual matches.

I'm trying to get people to read my guide (linked on post 262). Check it out even if you know Link.
This.

I have my R set to Attack as well. I also have my X set as Special; this makes throwing bombs and shooting arrows easier out of short hops and jumps. I don't like Z nearly as much as R for DACUS or Bomb Slides.

On the matter of bombing yourself:
You're probably either not dashing, throwing too early, or throwing too late. C-Stick down just as the dash begins, then proceed to Up+Attack.

pulse131

Smash Ace
i have L as attack since im always used to using r to shield. only time i ever use it is for bomb>fsmash. any boost smashing i do works just fine with z. but thats a good point on trying to use L or R, cuz z is never used anyway cept 4 mayb tether.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
What do you guys prefer for Z-Air: Air Dodge+A or Z (or alternate)?

I use Air Dodge+A; I read somewhere that it's better than Z, but I don't recall where or why. I tether with Z.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What do you guys prefer for Z-Air: Air Dodge+A or Z (or alternate)?

I use Air Dodge+A; I read somewhere that it's better than Z, but I don't recall where or why. I tether with Z.
I invincibomb or bombdodge with 'A'+'L' (dodge) at the same time. To keep from confusing the timing I always Zair with 'Z', even after air dodging.

From shielding/dodging 'C' down will grab/Zair too.

ndayday

BRoomer
I use Y for all of it, haha.

The only time I ever use Z is for DACUS and what not.

Shulix

Smash Rookie
I'm having a lot of trouble zairing Metaknight and other tiny characters. I don't really have a problem finding the right height on Bowser down to about Luigi's size, but game and watch, metaknight, and soemtimes fox I go right over their heads and leave myself open to attack.

Do you guys have any tips for getting the timing better on it?
(Because of this when I compeitively use Link, I end up never being able to zair and spacing is that much harder against mj)

pulse131

Smash Ace
@shulix- yuh kinda have to use zair as you start to come down, most or all the time shorter characters wont get hit by both parts of the zair if there grounded. its just fact, nothing your doing wrong. just keep in mind that zair is good against mk's nado every so often, as well as his glide attack. as for g+w and kirby, when they are crouching, you can pretty much 4get about zair and think of spamming. most shorter characters dont have that great of a projectile game, cept olimar. fame and watch is outcamped by link easily, but will kill you very easily whether it be gimp or upsmash. remember your tether option with his dsmash out of dthrow. mk, bombs and zair work semi decent against nado, if your opponent is lame enough to use it. if they glide in, zair or run behind them. other then that zair is some times just a last ditch effort against mk when you know your going to die and hes coming out to make extra sure you dont recover, zair into upb will dmg him a bit b4 you fall. fox, isnt the best character to zair because of his speed and ultra fast attacks and combos as well as broken as hell usmash. tend to stay middle stage and you can zair if hes on a ledge, possibally knocking him off into a jab lock. maybe? usually when fox recovers with forward b, he isnt ground level, and can be zaired or bombed or even galed if you got the timing. other then that jabcancel into zair works 35% of the time. and thats what zair can do against fox, mk and g+w.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm having a lot of trouble zairing Metaknight and other tiny characters. I don't really have a problem finding the right height on Bowser down to about Luigi's size, but game and watch, metaknight, and soemtimes fox I go right over their heads and leave myself open to attack.

Do you guys have any tips for getting the timing better on it?
(Because of this when I compeitively use Link, I end up never being able to zair and spacing is that much harder against mj)
SH Bair and fast fall as the second kick starts. This is the alternative to Zair for close/low opponents. MK's priority makes it a bad idea to be that close, sadly. Bombs, Dair and good spacing are what to use vs MK.

Shulix

Smash Rookie
SH Bair and fast fall as the second kick starts. This is the alternative to Zair for close/low opponents. MK's priority makes it a bad idea to be that close, sadly. Bombs, Dair and good spacing are what to use vs MK.
Thanks, guys. I'll try to video myself playin so I can get some feedback. I'm not new to link or anythin, I've just never played him the way I've read on the boards and I'm tryin to start to.

pulse131

Smash Ace
Hey defenders of the triforce, how does Link fair on battlefield? good - neutral - bad?
defenders of triforce. lhau.

anywho im link say 85% of the time in freindlies and i always prefer battlefield over f dest and smashville. good for bomb camping and avoiding other characters spamyness. also its alot easier to set up jab locks with utilt-ing there sheild :). luv doin that.

but ya check out stage discussion if you want to know moar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom