• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i found a chaingrab with Link the other day, but before i post any info on it, has anyone else found a chaingrab with him? with any throw doesnt matter lol, just wanna make sure before i post anything

Scabe

Successful Businessman
i found a chaingrab with Link the other day, but before i post any info on it, has anyone else found a chaingrab with him? with any throw doesnt matter lol, just wanna make sure before i post anything
Thanks for using the Q&A!

Link doesn't have any reliable inescapable chain grabs like DDD's downthrow or Falco's Down throw.

The closest thing Link has to a chain grab is Down Throw; it's easily escaped by jumping out (not sure if this is for all characters) and DI-ing it can make it harder to predict where they'll go.

It can work though if your opponent doesn't see it coming. Best used at low percents and on heavy fast fallers.

But anyways your post has inspired me to try the Down Throw chain grab, it's something I haven't tried in ages. I'll let you know how it goes. :bee:

Yung Mei

Thanks for using the Q&A!

Link doesn't have any reliable inescapable chain grabs like DDD's downthrow or Falco's Down throw.

The closest thing Link has to a chain grab is Down Throw; it's easily escaped by jumping out (not sure if this is for all characters) and DI-ing it can make it harder to predict where they'll go.

It can work though if your opponent doesn't see it coming. Best used at low percents and on heavy fast fallers.

But anyways your post has inspired me to try the Down Throw chain grab, it's something I haven't tried in ages. I'll let you know how it goes. :bee:
yeah, is it the DThrow, Pivot DThrow?

i figured out a new combo assuming they dont DI or anything

DThrow, Pivot DThrow, Boomerang, A

:D

Scabe

Successful Businessman
yeah, is it the DThrow, Pivot DThrow?

i figured out a new combo assuming they dont DI or anything

DThrow, Pivot DThrow, Boomerang, A

:D
Yep that's the one!

If you want to try find some combos go into training mode and put on 'help', it should a combo counter (apparently it's pretty inaccurate). Set CPU to level 9 and practice finding things that combo.

Like 1st hit of Zair into Fsmash, or 1st hit of Zair into Bomb throw.

I think the future of Link's combo's are in his returning gale boomerang. So try things like Bomb throw, boomerang returns and pulls them in, you get a free hit with anything.

Yung Mei

Yep that's the one!

If you want to try find some combos go into training mode and put on 'help', it should a combo counter (apparently it's pretty inaccurate). Set CPU to level 9 and practice finding things that combo.

Like 1st hit of Zair into Fsmash, or 1st hit of Zair into Bomb throw.

I think the future of Link's combo's are in his returning gale boomerang. So try things like Bomb throw, boomerang returns and pulls them in, you get a free hit with anything.
the Boomerang into DSmash is epic, only assuming that they get pulled by the Boomerang though :D

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So guys, I was thinking, at high percents, we bomb ourselves up into the air so we can do a Dair lagglessly. Thoughts?

Rizen

Smash Legend
So guys, I was thinking, at high percents, we bomb ourselves up into the air so we can do a Dair lagglessly. Thoughts?
On stages with platforms we don't need to. We'd have our second jump for mindgames but it's risky. I would rather throw a bomb up or drop one to bomb cancel the Dair or 'rang cancel it.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well I'll work on it and see how it goes. There's actually a few matches where I do it not on pupose I guess, but I don't do the laggless one, I just do it and it somehow hits the opponent :laugh:

I don't know if it's just me but I swear, Dair is a magnet. People somehow just go into it. I guess that's where my Dair habit comes from, I do it so often and think yeah this is going to hit, and it doesn't then I keep trying and trying. :urg:

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Dair is amaizng i use it so much lol. Im pretty sure you all know the best time to use it.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Let's keep the spam to a minimum, guys (Except in-game, of course =D).

Here's a question:
As a Marth main (yes, shun me, tie me up, throw me in a cage) I often will run off of the edge and counter as a ledge-gurd. Against a Link, how would you deal with something like this?

Another question:
As you can tell, I've been thinking a little bit about ledge-guarding lately. What is the generally accepted distance I should stand from the ledge when ledge-trapping my opponent? What specific moves should I be using?

Scabe

Successful Businessman

Here's a question:
As a Marth main (yes, shun me, tie me up, throw me in a cage) I often will run off of the edge and counter as a ledge-gurd. Against a Link, how would you deal with something like this?
Come to think of it, I haven't had that many Marth's do that to me. Usually a Gale Boomerang will come first to mess with the opponent then Up B. I don't know too much about Marth's counter, it depends on the knockback of the move right? Link's Up B isn't strong at all, in fact the first few hits all have set knockback except for the last one. Anyways, try it on a CPU and see if it works.

Another question:
As you can tell, I've been thinking a little bit about ledge-guarding lately. What is the generally accepted distance I should stand from the ledge when ledge-trapping my opponent? What specific moves should I be using?

When the opponent is on the ledge

People that jump from the ledge back by pressing down then jumping back on the stage with/without an aerial: Space Zair, when they get hit, walk forwards and then Ftilt.

People that use the ledgejump: Nair

People that roll and end up behind you: Dsmash so that the second hit of Dsmash ends up hitting the rolling opponent.

People that Get Up attack: Space Fsmash/Shield Grab

People that do the standing get up: I'm actually not too sure on this one, sometimes spacing Fsmash works if your near frame perfect, but yeah I have to look into this one.

On Yoshi Island/Pictochat if DK does his ROFLCopter: Jab

I just hope I actually answered your question right. I'm not too sure what you meant by ledge trapping. :urg:

Rizen

Smash Legend

Here's a question:
Zair as a tether has no attack and would grab the edge without starting Marth's counter. The Marths I play Fair me. I try to air dodge under and tether the edge or throw a boomerang/spam if I'm out of their attack range.

Ledge guarding:
Sometime I'll run off stage and Nair or Bair stage spike to intercept. Dair if you know the opponent must go to a certain place (like a desperate Diddy's up B).

Adding to what pulse said, if they're on the edge:
Sometimes people will plank, there's a distance from the edge where arrows will hit their hands, spam arrows and bombs from there. The bombs will stage spike and with the right timing Link can force the opponent on stage.
Also throw a bomb up so it falls slightly past the ledge to support edge guard spamming if you have the opportunity.

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question:

Another question:

I would basically state what the others provided I would use my Gale Boomerang and then would do the up special. I would then either jump opposite the ledge and either <- A(expecially if hes doing a dolphinslash to hover or postpone slightly the decent), dair edgeguard, get back on the ledge and if theres enough time hit him farther to (hopefully) prevent him from recovering easier, or just get back the stage by letting go and double jump and ( <-- on anolog then b), etc.

Another question:
It depends on his recovery move. If you have someone that can edgeguard with a grappling then grapple/dair edgeguard (link, toon link, samus, lucas) and do it as hes about to recover (If its Ike it takes 2-3 d air guard movements to do). If you cant do it then do it from Long to mid range as hes about midway to almost mid way in his recover move, if short then do it fast. Thats my advice to you

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I had a question involving controls.

I hold the controller really weird; I use Y exclusively to jump (with the side of my pointer finger) and have X set to grab (I use my thumb for X). Occasionally, when an opponent lands behind me and I shield his attack, I'll try to dashdance (is this the correct terminology?) once so I'm facing the other way and do a grab attack if they use a laggier move. Sometimes, though, maybe 1/4 of the time, it will make me roll behind them instead. This never happens when I use Z to grab. Does anyone know why this happens, i.e. am I just screwing up or is it something to do with changing the controls, and if so can I do anything, because I much prefer using X over Z to grab?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I had a question involving controls.

I hold the controller really weird; I use Y exclusively to jump (with the side of my pointer finger) and have X set to grab (I use my thumb for X). Occasionally, when an opponent lands behind me and I shield his attack, I'll try to dashdance (is this the correct terminology?) once so I'm facing the other way and do a grab attack if they use a laggier move. Sometimes, though, maybe 1/4 of the time, it will make me roll behind them instead. This never happens when I use Z to grab. Does anyone know why this happens, i.e. am I just screwing up or is it something to do with changing the controls, and if so can I do anything, because I much prefer using X over Z to grab?
You might accidentally be inputting a direction from shield too soon. The control stick and 'C' set to smash/attacks will make Link doge if he's considered shielding- except for up. 'Grab' also transfers into shield. I guess that you are moving and buffering a shield then using a direction which the game sees as a roll dodge. Or you might be trying to turn too soon during the shield drop lag and trigger a roll. The button doesn't matter; maybe you can press 'X' faster than 'Z' and it's throwing off your timing.

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
You might accidentally be inputting a direction from shield too soon. The control stick and 'C' set to smash/attacks will make Link doge if he's considered shielding- except for up. 'Grab' also transfers into shield. I guess that you are moving and buffering a shield then using a direction which the game sees as a roll dodge. Or you might be trying to turn too soon during the shield drop lag and trigger a roll. The button doesn't matter; maybe you can press 'X' faster than 'Z' and it's throwing off your timing.
What he basically stated, you may be doing it to fast. To Huggles you should do things a little slower if your doing a turn around grab do it rather than think about it and also its more efficient in my opinion with the nunchuck and wii mote but since you can perform DACUS and all those other techniques on the GCC (which also can be done as efficiently on the Wii mote and Nunchuck) Basically tap the grab button rather than holding it because it can increase the chance of performing the turnaround grab rather than rolling that direction

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You have the same control scheme as me, but I have the extra of L set to jump and Z set to attack. Anyways, instead of doing a dash dance to grab, just turnaround and grab. Usually this option is laggier because you have to drop your shield turnaround then grab which must be like 30 frames or so. So use jab if the opponent lands behind you.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, thanks guys, that helps. I suppose it's only something I do situationally, but I don't like to get too predictable so I'll do this occasionally instead of bair or jab or a reverse dsmash, but it was still bothering me since messing up often got me punished since Link's roll is kinda slow.

And to Scabe, I love this control scheme. I've been using it for years, and it makes fullhopping projectiles and other B moves and using C stick aerials SOOO much easier.

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
@ Huggles

Dont worry about it theres numerous possibilities to get someone whos behind you. Have fun out there

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I'd take what I say with a grain of salt, since I haven't read up on it a whole lot, but I know what works for me is I smash both sticks in the direction I want to force myself (with Link, it's usually up or up and forward, haha) a couple of times. I then start hitting either left or right depending on the Cstick to do bair, sometimes followed by a fast fall and immediate double jump if I think the hit will flat out kill me (I don't know if this actually helps, but it sure seems to slow me down even faster), but I'm pretty sure I am still holding the DI on the control stick at that point. Again, I could be wrong, but since I usually make it to the 180-200% mark, I think I've at least got most of it right :) Hope this helps, ToZ.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So my friend said he saw in a thread that Link's Up B can beat MK's tornado. It probably doesn't, but it's something I've never though about. Could someone test this?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I just tried it out a little, and it does seem to work if you hit him at the base of the gaynado where it's the most narrow. If both attacks collide you'll take the one hit for like 1 or 2 damage and MK will take the spin attack for about 12, but getting it to land is tricky, especially if you play with tap jump off which prohibits you from using your B up out of your shield (although if you really want to bother you can hit Y or X to jump and IMMEDIATELY hit B up to do it).

I would suggest looking at it some more over just taking my word for it though. I only looked at it for about 15 minutes.

Rizen

Smash Legend
MK's tornado is much weaker right at the start; you can Zair or dash attack it. Since MK has virtually no lag, I recommend attacking before the player taps 'B' and raises it's priority. Almost any medium priority attack overpowers it if you act fast.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I had something I was wondering about; I notice a lot of the top Link players, after grabbing on to the edge, let go and regrapple twice before coming up with a fair. Is there a reason for regrappling twice? I understand it can be used to refresh invulnerability frames, and have used it for mindgames, such as when my opponent is charging a dsmash near the edge or something to trick them into attacking early. But many of you guys seem to do it all the time, even when in no immediate danger; is there a specific advantage it grants doing it when not threatened? Because it seems if something disastrous did happen you would want to save at least one last chance at grappling onto the ledge (if you had to grapple onto the ledge in the first place), since you can only do it three times, and I can get back up and get both slashes of fair off just fine without using the hookshot (the only other reason I could think of as to why you'd do it).

I figured since a lot of you guys are pros, there was a legitimate reason for doing it, but couldn't figure out what it was. Does anyone know why? Or is it just a style thing?

(Fun fact: Grapple no longer sounds like a word to me after this post)

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
My money's on style. Us samus' do it too, it's an awesome thing to do to escape danger, but I'm thinking it's just for flashyness. Otherwise Xyro would have *****ed about link getting something out of grappling the ledge and samus not getting anything out of it.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Haha, yeah I notice that I re-grapple twice before I do an Fair. It's a weird habit that most people have. Don't get into the habit of doing it twice, mix up Link's ledge game constantly, hop down off the ledge and the regrab, pull out a bomb, regrapple, and mix up your getups, roll, attack, stand up etc.

There is a use for regrappling before doing an Fair, gives you invincibility frames and let's you go through things that a normal ledgehopped Fair wouldn't allow you to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD-EBQhe3yo

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Awesome video find, Scabe, thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea the invincible frames stacked, or that you could retain them while performing the fair. That makes a lot more sense now!

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ The problem is, if the opponent's far, Link looses hit tether edge grabs and he only has 3 until landing again. Mostly it's habit for when the opponent's close. Link should not stay on the edge if he can safely get up. When it's safe I ledgestall bomb pull/boomerang or quickdraw to keep them from rushing. Same thing as ledgestall Fair except you tilt don and forward+B/hold forward at a slight angle+B/hold forward>let go of the control stick and tap 'B', respectively.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I know that people suggest that Luigi players Air Dodge before hitting the ground- I haven't heard this recommended for any other characters, though.

What are the benefits of Air Dodging before hitting the ground, and do they apply to Link as well?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You shouldn't ever land near your opponent as you'll be punished by your landing lag.

Airdodge into the ground for uptilts and people who try to juggle you with aerials.

I'm not too sure but I think Upsmash's is a decent option against airdodging into the ground.

If they airdodge and land away from you, dash attacks should do a good job. If you get shield grabbed from your dash attack your probably doing it a bit too late.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What are the benefits of Air Dodging before hitting the ground, and do they apply to Link as well?
Link is better off readying a bomb, Nair-ing, Zair-ing, or quickdrawing. Depending on spacing.
You shouldn't ever land near your opponent as you'll be punished by your landing lag.

Airdodge into the ground for uptilts and people who try to juggle you with aerials.

I'm not too sure but I think Upsmash's is a decent option against airdodging into the ground.

If they airdodge and land away from you, dash attacks should do a good job. If you get shield grabbed from your dash attack your probably doing it a bit too late.
I found Nair>fast fall works better to stop juggling unless you have time to fast fall>air dodge before being hit.

Usmash works to defend airdodges if the opponent falls slow. Fast falling characters can dodge through it and Smash or grab with good timing. Utilt's safer with less reward.

Dash attack's a good landing punisher. If they're really far charged arrows work on flat stages but the timing's strict.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I know that characters like Wolf, Captain Falcon and Luigi carry over the lag from their B up if they grab the edge then jump back on stage, and that you can reduce it some, but not completely, if you use an aerial with no or little lag. This might not be what you're talking about though.

I don't think Link is really affected by this. Usually when I land, I quickdraw or use air dodge -> zair. Actually, does zair have ANY lag at all? In other words, would Link have less landing lag after a zair than just landing or an air dodge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom