• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulse131

Smash Ace
If Links Rcovery was way higher

do think he'd be moved up to a higher tier
DUH
sry that was blunt for this site l0ol but ya links recovery and him being phat(easily comboed) makes him low tier not is combat ability.

if link had shuttleloop he'd auotmatically jump to b tier imo

MJG

Smash Hero
3 Questions
1) How do you guys feel about Toonlink and Link teaming up in doubles?
2)What type of strategies should we try applying to the game play and what are some good stages for us?
3) Is there a doubles thread somewhere on the Link boards? Id like to find possibly set ups for Legan and I.

Thanks

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I team up with my brother who's a Toon Link. I personally like it because it looks epic. :chuckle:

Some ideas we came up are: :psycho:

• The ****:Toon Link up throw to Link Dair
  • Zair spam: Toon Link's behind Link, doing Full hopped Zairs while Link's in front doing short hop Zairs.
  • Arrow spam: Link's behind Toon Link doing Double arrows in the air while Toon Link's in front doing short hopped double arrows.
  • Bomb spam: When opponents are in the air, have both TLink and Link throw bombs up.

I think that Link should be more on the ground while Toon Link in the air...Anyways I hope some of this helped you. :dizzy:

Oh yeah I was supposed to work on a doulbles thread *facepalm*

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You can ask the more knowledgeable Link mains over at AiB for better input. I seriously have no idea what I'm talking about :p

I warn you though. The Link's over there have a real problem with Gay Toon Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ mjg: Link should use big moves like Fsmash, Dsmash, SH Fair etc and stay low. Dair return from being launched up, Dair also makes a good approach into the chaos of (opponent) teammates together. TLink's faster and should control the air and keep the other players off balance. If your timing/spacing's right the opponents will be hit into Link's attacks by TL and vise-versa. Range spam should be much less than in singles. Working together serves the purpose instead. The important thing is to space with your partner so you don't kill each other.

If you're not sure about an attack hitting, Link can charge smashes for a long time and guide long lasting aerial attacks into opponents from out of reach. Don't grab much. Keep opponents in between the two of you. Switch sides of a stage with Link close to or on the ground and TL high up or if one of you is launched (work it out before the match). Support recoveries by attacking the opponents, Zair does well. Link and TL should both play an aggressive-spacing orientated game. Attack a lot. Mind TL's spacing but he should be the one staying clear of Link.

I might have a replay of this team soon.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Bair.

Someone clarify what the whole dair thing is when being hit vertically though. Please.

ndayday

BRoomer
No TL experience at all for me. You should try the TL boards if you haven't already.

If you've done all those, then you could try asking on AiB.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bair.

Someone clarify what the whole dair thing is when being hit vertically though. Please.
Posted on AiB by Deva:

Quote (originally posted by MES):
'Not sure what you mean about Dair for momentum canceling. I always Dair with 'C' because I Dbomb a lot. It only triggers fast falling if Link's in a descending state. You can immediately change it from slow>fast fall by tapping down but this works with every aerial. 'C' Bair fast falls like Dair and takes under half the time.
Dair frame 79: IASA. Bair frame 30: IASA.
I don't understand why Dair's better. ?

bleh, too lazy to type it out again

Quote (originally posted by Deva):
ok mes, I see what's confusing you. In momentum cancelling there's sortof 2 phases of fast falling. When youre being sent flying vertically, you have momentum in that direction. When you dair and auto fast fall, there's 2 sets of momentum going each way. The momentum of you getting sent vertically up, and the momentum of your fast fall going down. These momentums "cancel" eachother, stoping your momentum and keeping you from dying off the top.

Because of that, it doesnt look like youre fastfalling when you c-stick down, but you actually are, and after that if you press down again you'll initiate another fast fall which will make you go down.

The reason im saying dair is better for surviving off the top ko's is when you c-stick down it auto buffers a fast fall with the dair in 1 input, where as with bair you have a really high chance of missing a few frames between bairing and pressing down.

Yes, because of the iasa frames you can jump out of bair faster, but that only applies to horizontal KOs. Fast falling the bair pushes the momentum down from the momentum pushing you towards the blast zone. Now, down isnt the opposite direction, so its not enough to keep you from dying. Then jumping out of it towards the stage cancels the rest of the momentum towards the blast zone and keeps you from dying, which is why you want to use a move with the fastest iasa frames. Off the top though, you dont need to jump to survive. In fact that can kill you sometimes lol. What's more important is getting in the fast fall asap, which you have a much better chance of doing with dair since its 1 input.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
3 Questions
1) How do you guys feel about Toonlink and Link teaming up in doubles?
2)What type of strategies should we try applying to the game play and what are some good stages for us?
3) Is there a doubles thread somewhere on the Link boards? Id like to find possibly set ups for Legan and I.
1: lol no
2: lol no
3: No but you can ask in the AiB Link forum Q&A

Drift108

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, im new to the link boards and stuff, and I've noticed that links dtilt meteors more either at the tip or above the handle of the sword

plz tell me if im correct or not, i dont main link i was just wondering :-D

ndayday

BRoomer
We have a thread just like that which I made. :O

Which reminds me, I should get the hitbubbles added to that. More accurate.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Who should I use? Link or Tlink?
I really like the fact that Link survive for very long, but Tlink has better recovery and aerials.
Tink is probably the better character, but it depends on your playstyle. I much prefer Link to Toon Link, because he isn't floaty and weird. It's your decision to make.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Look at the tier list to see who's better than Link, with that knowledge decide if you still want to play Link.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
That's why I decided to play as Link. I need a character to enter a low tier tournament.
Not to mention, he's freakin' legit.

I'd still like to think that Link tops Captain Falcon, but that isn't for here.

Here's a question: How would one practice DI? I know how to do it. I've read the awful WoT on it. I've seen the all-famous video about it. I don't know how to begin applying it to my game. I've put it off for way too long.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention, he's freakin' legit.

I'd still like to think that Link tops Captain Falcon, but that isn't for here.

Here's a question: How would one practice DI? I know how to do it. I've read the awful WoT on it. I've seen the all-famous video about it. I don't know how to begin applying it to my game. I've put it off for way too long.
I also don't know how to DI very well. I can only DI correctly Multi-hits moves like Pit's f-smash.
I've tried one day to put a level 9 Ike to kick my *** and try to Di his moves, but it didn't ended very well.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I normally hold up when DI-ing. I have tap jump off, so it makes it alot easier to hold up. I believe that holding up will help your Link so much from being put off stage in a bad position making it abit more easier to recover.

Also, I don't think you can DI much of Ike's moves since they aren't multiple hits besides his jab.

Anyways watch this vid, it's helped me alot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ anonymous: Link will take tons of practice before he can be used effectively, arguably more than any character: be prepared to DI and use the 'C' stick (set to smash) for aerial attacks and bomb throws. Set a trigger button to 'Attack' to allow Bomb Fsmashing. Link is fun if you like mindgames and strategy but he's a lot of work for little tourney-related reward. What I'm saying is (as everyone knows) we don't play Link to win tourneys.

@ Zeus: Practice on Lv 9 cpus, they're dumb but can be DIed like people. To DI up with the controlstick quarter stick it. Up>up left>up>up right>up etc; the up rights and lefts cancel each other's sideways motion. With the 'C' Stick tap up>let it slide back to the neutral position>tap up etc. Use both sticks the same general direction as fast as possible. Start DIing immediately during hit stun and stop as soon as you're out. It's hard to remember all this so I DI up left or up right depending on the set up because it's the easiest, most effective in general, thing to do without thinking.

Practice on CPUs like Zelda or Pika. If Zelda Fsmashes facing right: quarter stick right up>right>right up>up>right etc and mash 'C' right up diagonally @ the '10:30' notch to DI right/up diagonally out. DI can be done in any of the 8 directions but I'm not good enough so I just do up left or or right. Try to 'C' more right/left than up so you accidentally Bair instead of Uair. You have to have it in your head before you DI effectively against a person. And don't shield; I DIed behind a falco while holding shield and ended up grabbing away from him.

All the above is based on Gamecube controllers.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
I normally hold up when DI-ing. I have tap jump off, so it makes it alot easier to hold up. I believe that holding up will help your Link so much from being put off stage in a bad position making it abit more easier to recover.

Also, I don't think you can DI much of Ike's moves since they aren't multiple hits besides his jab.

Anyways watch this vid, it's helped me alot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo
WTF!!! He survived snke ftilit near the the edge at 160%! I must learn this!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
What's the preferred GC controller setup for Link? I'm currently using the default setup, with Tap Jump off, but performing some techniques, like BombSmashing, is difficult for me to do with this setup (i.e. I'm holding the Smash attack instead of attacking with F-smash immediately, and thus this kills the shock value and can be avoided).

Also, what are good ways to practice with Bombs? Most of the matches I use Link with, I'm neglecting the Bombs and am just sticking to using Arrows and the Boomerang to maintain a distance. I know that Bombs are useful, but I hardly use them at all, let alone effectively. So any basic things I can do with them to start off?

Rizen

Smash Legend
What's the preferred GC controller setup for Link? I'm currently using the default setup, with Tap Jump off, but performing some techniques, like BombSmashing, is difficult for me to do with this setup (i.e. I'm holding the Smash attack instead of attacking with F-smash immediately, and thus this kills the shock value and can be avoided).

Also, what are good ways to practice with Bombs? Most of the matches I use Link with, I'm neglecting the Bombs and am just sticking to using Arrows and the Boomerang to maintain a distance. I know that Bombs are useful, but I hardly use them at all, let alone effectively. So any basic things I can do with them to start off?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258121
See section [006] for controls and the video link on the post after the guide.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Tap Jump off is good for Link, as it helps with doing AT's like bombsliding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdQY5SOqEE

Since you have tap jump off doing things out of shield becomes harder. So having Jump set to L, let's you do Upsmash out of shield and Up B out of shield. Also I have Y set to grab, just because it makes grabbing easier imo.

For bomb smashing all you have to do is do any action (ie. Rolling, air dodging) and then hold A and when you hit the C stick it should do an Fsmash with the bomb still in hand. I usually have a bomb out, and do something like Boomerang then slide my finger and hold A when the opponent comes dashing in I'll hit the Cstick to do a Forward Smash.

A basic thing with the bombs is to, Jump (probably double jump) above your opponent throw the bomb down and come down with an aerial like N-air, F-air, even D-air for kill percents. Here's a vid with the same concept but done in a more advanced way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0KB0T_Fwpk

Bomb throw to DACUS is a flashy but risky combo.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
sup Link Mains , I decided to make Link my low tier main so can anyone give me a few tips and stuff
( I already read true most of the link guide¨triforce of courage¨)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
sup Link Mains , I decided to make Link my low tier main so can anyone give me a few tips and stuff
( I already read true most of the link guide¨triforce of courage¨)
Here's a neat trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0KB0T_Fwpk

To do this you waste your double jump, throw the bomb down and position yourself over the opponent and keep mashing jump to get the footstool. If you can get that part down then awesome! Practise it at like 999 percent and it will still work.

Advanced: To get the footstool jablock you have to do a fast falled Nair after the footstool and that should put them in a lock. Then proceed to jab as much as you can. It's easier said than done though. :p

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Here's a neat trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0KB0T_Fwpk

To do this you waste your double jump, throw the bomb down and position yourself over the opponent and keep mashing jump to get the footstool. If you can get that part down then awesome! Practise it at like 999 percent and it will still work.

Advanced: To get the footstool jablock you have to do a fast falled Nair after the footstool and that should put them in a lock. Then proceed to jab as much as you can. It's easier said than done though. :p
thats incredebly cool :)

Use the 'C' stick for bomb throws and air attacks.
k will thanks.

anything else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom